Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to Games Morning is presented by ms I.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: Later with me. Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about steams, payment processing woes, continuing to grow God that rhymed, and what the streets are saying about Pokemon Legends z A. It's going to be a good one because we have Pokey Expert himself, Sean Turbosham mcdowll on the show.
Speaker 2: Sean, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I am a little tired, Jeff. I. I reached the Forbidden Zone in Docycock Bonanza at like eleven PM last night.
Speaker 1: I'm like it was kind of hard, Yeah, kind of hard to stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, uh.
Speaker 3: At like three am or something because you know, I had to get every banana along the way too.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have the credits. That's awesome. The game does keep getting better.
Speaker 1: But that's that was a pretty good, uh finale right up the culmination there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything from entering that zone to just the end, it was all fantastic.
Speaker 2: No spoilers.
Speaker 3: I'll say the final boss fight I found maybe a little more annoying than actually fun. I think you might know.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, I think I was both relieved and annoyed. I was say, I'm glad that this is a bit more challenging, but again, it wasn't like even it wasn't hard. It was just harder than the rest of the bosses. And then the ways it was annoying were pretty plentiful.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: It felt like they amplified the difficulty of the fight itself, but then also gave that character like ten times more health than they needed. It was a weird ramp up.
Speaker 1: It was just weird, especially weird compared to the rest of the bosses in the game, which had ten seconds of life in them.
Speaker 3: And that's it exactly. Yeah, very very fun sequence though, and just yeah, just all all the leading up to the boss fight was so cool. So yeah, oh cool, I'm glad. I'm glad I got to that last night. And I'm I'm curious to see what's after this. I kind of feel like I'm free now, I gived or something, but I could beat that. What's after Credit's nice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, So I woke up early this morning, had a meeting, and uh, actually before the meeting, I was like, I got some time.
Speaker 2: I kind of up.
Speaker 1: Let's play some Ninja Guide and see if I can beat this fun final boss fight beat in.
Speaker 2: A couple of tries. It hits really a very good game.
Speaker 1: I'm also like, okay, I updated Expedition thirty three, which has got a big update on my Steam deck, so I might I should play that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that hard mode just opened up a Ninja Guide and I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't play that. But it's like, I do want to go back in that game and see even more. There's some special level I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna try, so you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: With that, Yes exactly, so that that is uh maybe the plan there to give it a try, but I can't get sucked back into that game. I got credits. I'm like, I beat it. I can now move on. But that yes, I recommend that game to everybody. People should check it out. Let's see if it ends up on the Bomb twelve today. We will be wrapping up the week with that later on. In the meantime, though, we should explain ourselves. We're Giant Bomb Giant Bomb dot com slash Join. If you want to help us, you can become a premium member. It enables us to do cool stuff, enable us to do our regular shows, to plan big things like we're doing right now. It also gets you ad free shows, gets you some extras, and really it just shows your support for the kinds of stuff that we do and helps us keep this community going, giving you a home on the Internet away from all the mess out there. As far as the show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Greb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into.
Speaker 1: Let's start the morning mess with that Steam payment headache. It's growing as PayPal is no longer usable for much of the world. Valve hopes to bring it back in the future, but the timeline is quote uncertain. This is from Andy chalk at PC gamer hassles with credit card processors or processors over adult content isn't the only payment headache Steam is facing these days. Valve is also getting agreed from PayPal, which is no longer being accepted as a form of payment in much of the world, going by post about the problem in the Steam subreddit. The issue was first reported about a month ago users attempting to pay excuse me user's attempting to pay for purchases in countries including Switzerland, Poland, Norway and Mexico. We're receiving a message saying Steam is quote temporarily unable to process transactions with this payment method at this time, with no further explanation.
Speaker 2: A PayPal exclusion seems to go. Has seemed to go.
Speaker 1: Largely unnoticed outside of discussions on Steam's subreddit, possibly because it seems sporadic, and perhaps also because this was right around the time Steam got caught up in a kerfuffle with Visa and MasterCard over adult content on the platform. Valve delisted a substantial number of games after being notified that some of them quote may violate the rules and standards set forth by our payment processors and the related card networks and banks. Indy focused platform ith dot Io later d in d index to a number of games on its storefront for the same reason.
Speaker 2: Some in the Steam.
Speaker 1: Subreddit theorized that PayPal problem was connected to the crackdown on not Safe for Work games, and maybe it is, but Valve has now clarified to the game that the issue isn't game content, but specific currency is being used.
Speaker 2: Now let's stop there. There is an update.
Speaker 1: Rock paper Shotgun reached out to Valve and confirmed to rock paper Shotgun that this withdrawal of support for Steam transaction but the transactions by one of PayPal's acquiring banks, which I think, Sean, I think acquiring bank means one of the banks that like handles the transactions. I don't know why the word acquiring is used there, but I'm not familiar with this world, and that is okay. So one of the paypals acquiring banks is regarding content on Steam related to what we've previously commented on surrounding MasterCard. That is the statement from Valve, So it is related to everything else that's been happening here. In this case, one of PayPal's acquiring banks decided to stop processing any Steam transactions which cut off PayPal on Steam for a number of currencies. A Valve spokesperson added, it does seem like this issue continues to grow and snowball and kind of show it's revealing the amount of power that these payment processors have.
Speaker 2: Sean, I would really like to understand.
Speaker 1: This world a little bit better of why is it that like PayPal and Stripe or whatever it is. It's a stripe that one of those middlemen companies dominates so much of this market. It's got to be banking regulations. I would assume that, and they're the ones that like navigated it and now they have a stranglehold on it and they're able to work with these other banks. I don't fully understand what they have so much power because if I'm Valve, I go, well, now I'm going to start my own valve pay.
Speaker 2: But it's probably not that simple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know a little bit about this, and apologies if I get any of this wrong.
Speaker 2: Right, let's just do our best.
Speaker 3: Any of these financial institutions they do ultimately go through like an established bank and established but that's what I assumed, Yes, Yeah, because you can't just you can't just start up a bank because that obviously any like illegal organization would just do that, right, you do ultimately need to go through something that's already established higher up. It's kind of like having a parent company. Even smaller companies tend to be owned by something bigger at this point. It's kind of like that as far as I know. So, like even PayPal, which we think of PayPal as being its own independent thing and processing their own payments, they are ultimately going through one of the banks in almost like a you know, a cell phone's Mbno, like Mint and Visible and stuff is all subdivisions of like T Mobile and Horizons.
Speaker 2: They're built on top of existing networks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like that where they have to go through a greater institution somehow. That's sort of don't think the right word, sort of like licenses out their service. I guess you could say it's all being routed through the same institutions. So yeah, I think that's what they mean by what you call it. It was acquiring banks. Acquiring banks that would be like one of those banks is doing the thing that like my MasterCard is doing where they're saying we are not engaging with this because bigot reasons and so That's what's happening here, is that like PayPal, regardless of how they may feel, it seems like they're not being supportive in all of this either. They just can't process the payment because the institution that's above them is saying, we're not doing this anymore.
Speaker 1: I assume that like Apple pay and Google pay are similar kinds of things, right that they are. Probably they probably have a underwriter bank that supports those things as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, because like when you get because I know Apple has their own credit card now, but ultimately that's like fulfilled through someone else.
Speaker 2: I think it's through Yeah, I think. I think it's through Visa MasterCard, right.
Speaker 3: I think it all kind of right, But like the banking part of it, it's like ultimately done through Chase or something, right, Yeah, yeah, for sure. I just got my Yeah, I just got the Amazon card because I need to pay money on something that was applying, and I was like, oh, it's done through Chase. I think Apple is Apples through Golden Sacks. There we go get Golden Sax Services Apple card.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, and all those there's a handful of these servicers. There's a handful of payment card companies. And they all seem to be kind of like coming after this right now, coming after adult content and causing these problems. So when people I've seen people throw this idea around of Valve pay and it's just not going to be anywhere near that simple. It would have to like it's going to be so complicated for them to build up their own system there. That's why I think one of the things Valves suggesting for people that are being hit by this PayPal currency thing is go to the store and buy a Steam card with your local currency, and then you can get around this because you could just put the money right to the account and you don't have to worry about that. It's like, that is the solution because all this other stuff it's going to take would take years and probably a lot of money and lobbying globally. Uh, And that's yeah, it's kind of a non starter in a lot of ways, even for a billion dollar.
Speaker 2: Private corporate corporate corporation like Valve.
Speaker 3: And even then they would still have to deal with the bank somewhere in the chain. So it's easy to go through like yeah, your local like Botega or whatever, because that's the payment processor in that situation.
Speaker 2: Uh, I guess, like, where does it go from here?
Speaker 1: It does feel like this is not like these companies have staked out their ground and they have made it clear like they're going to kind of continue to fight this even and then when Valve like it's MasterCard doing this, master Card's like, no, we're not, We're just an innocent little company, and so master Cards like kind of still doing it but pretending it's not.
Speaker 2: They don't want to have the public debate.
Speaker 1: They have come up with solutions to deal with the call volume that they were getting all, you know, eight thousand calls a day. They found ways to like sort of mitigate the exposure they have to that getting people right through the system faster. They're very good at those kinds of things, and so they might be able to be able to withstand the public pressure campaign that's happening right now, which seemed like was going to be maybe the solution early on in this battle. It doesn't feel like this is going to solve itself. There's gonna have to be some sort of resolution from either Valve figuring out a way to work around some of these things, which again seems very difficult, and Hio obviously right there as well, but they don't have the resources that Valve does, or I don't know, does do government step into European regulation. I don't think they have the appetite to go in there and be like, let people buy games that have the word rape in it. That is just such a like a harrowing thing if you're a politician, no one's going to want to touch that.
Speaker 2: So I don't what's the solution here.
Speaker 3: I have no idea at this point. It feels like one of many things that we're dealing with in the world right now, where what is the solution to the problem and even a lot of things that you just mentioned, can we get government regulation on this and stuff? Well, administrations, not just our own are are probably going to lean to the side of, oh yeah, we don't want this stuff get out of here with that, and so they don't care about protecting art either. So I don't know who we get involved in it, because if the you know, we're at the level where banks are cutting off somewhere in the payment processing chain and then we can't get a government body on our side for any of this is just it feels like we're screwed at a certain point, chef.
Speaker 1: And and if you needed any more evidence that, like if someone said, chets, this will push people towards crypto, which I think is a fair thought actually, but if you need evidence that crypto isn't gonna ever really be a working currency.
Speaker 2: This is the exact situation where it would apply.
Speaker 1: And and none of the valve and is not being like, yeah, we're gonna start bringing using bitcoin again.
Speaker 2: They used to accept bitcoin back in the day.
Speaker 1: They stopped doing it because it was so volatile that they would make up they would start begin processing a purchase, and then the value of bitcoin in the time of that processing would drop and they would lose a ton of fucking money.
Speaker 2: And now maybe there are more.
Speaker 1: Stable coins at this point, there are literally things called stable coins.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the hilarious because this is the kind of situation. This is literally kind of like well intentioned situation that cryptocurrency was designed for. Yeah, and then naturally, like anything that's well intentioned in some form or another, gets warped and twisted into this thing by the crypto bros and arthing like that to be something that oh, we don't want this, this is toxic. We're not going anywhere near that, yep.
Speaker 1: And so it's to me more evidence that it's just never going to be the thing that they said it would be early on.
Speaker 2: That's a separate, separate topic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I don't know from here, Jeff.
Speaker 1: It's confusing one, confusing and frustrating, and uh yeah, I think I'm gonna maybe spend some time this weekend really understanding how we got here. I bet Peter Thiel's involved, fucking idiot. All right, let's keep moving. Sakarai says to expect Kirby air Riders footage soon. This is from my Nintendo News massa hero SACRII is taken to Twitter to celebrate Sora Company Limited is celebrating its twentieth anniversary, or to celebrate the twentieth anniversary, I should say, And he also gave a small update on the upcoming Kirby air Riders. Sacari says that he hopes to share some gameplay footage of the long awaited Kirby air Riders soon. How soon remains to be seen, but it's likely to be showcased during a Nintendo Direct presentation. Kirby air Riders is due to release this year on Nintendo Switch to here's a rough translation of what SAKRAI had to say, likely machine translated.
Speaker 2: They didn't say on my Nintendo news.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter to most people, but today Sore Company Limited is celebrating its twentieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: That's a long time. Thank you for your continued support.
Speaker 1: The new Kirby air Rider hasn't even shown gameplay footage yet, but I think we'll be able to share some information soon. Please wait. The game's coming out this year. It's almost September. Obviously we're going to see this soon. To me, that sounds like what he's saying. But I guess let's speculate. When do we see Kirby air Riders?
Speaker 3: Oh no, Jeff, are we predicting the next Nintendo Direct already?
Speaker 2: I mean people want to do that. I'm not ready for that. I'm with you. Oh no, let's not do that. But I guess you know they usually do one. It's September, so I guess it's maybe safe to begin that conversation. Is that when we see this thing?
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's when I would assume. As long as they're sticking in twenty twenty five, I'm not sure. That's a weird one because I don't know if that needs to release twenty twenty five Kirby air Riders, because who are you bringing in with that? That you're bringing in the kids I guess who have played a Kirby game on the Switch one or so, which I guess those kids aren't very young anymore. Either redn't matter, or you're bringing in like the old heads like us who remember Kirby ir Ride from back in the day. And also a lot of us don't actually like Kirby air Ride.
Speaker 1: So I like it one, but I'm not. I was never pining for a new one. I mean, you're getting to the heart of the matter, Kirby air Riders. So Sean, who is this game for? And it's for one person on Earth? Can Yeah exactly. It's like I can do this better this time around.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, fuck, we really want to keep this guy happy, So yes, go do your thing. We will help, We'll fund the game, we'll do it the whole, We'll give it Kirby again.
Speaker 2: Let you go to town with your favorite character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, found the wee the other night, just to see, Like, am I right about this? That game is balls? Man, It's a yourd idea for a game single bun racing game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I loaded it up on the GameCube, the Magic game Cube, and was playing it the other day as well. Yeah, you're not wrong. It's not great, Like it just doesn't feel as good as it should. It is like the idea of power sliding through every turn, the one button gameplay. It's like, I appreciate what's happening here, I just don't. I just don't love playing it the way that I thought I should.
Speaker 3: When our friend John linnaman known Ballan Wonder World defender, is like, this game sucks. You know, you have a problem on your hands.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's true.
Speaker 1: Although man, that Ballan Wonder World take John, I'll never forgive you.
Speaker 3: But all right, let's yeah. Yeah, well we'll see. I guess if September is when they usually do directs, that's when I would put my money on it. Otherwise, maybe it gets bumped because I think the point I'm trying to get here is I'm not sure we need this one this holiday season. This might be like a really nice March game or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely that's possible, and uh yeah, if we see it soon the direct, sure they could pop it off on a Nintendo Today app update or something like that. But who knows that September direct probably is going to happen. They always want to set up their holiday, So yes, I think we see it there. Pokemon Legends Z A switch to hands on previews are all over the place this morning, Sean I kind of tried to collate some of the information here. Hands on demonstrations of Pokemon Legends ZA revealed significant changes to the series's battle system, moving from turn based combat to real time action stuff that we saw before. Players control their trainers during battles, with Pokemon following their movement and attacking attacks governed by cool downs.
Speaker 2: That is that's new.
Speaker 1: This new system encourages dodging, strategic positioning, and quick decision excuse me decision making. The demo featured two main sections, Trainers Trainer battles and a battle zone and a boss fight against a rogue Mega Evolved absol, where players collect Mega power orbs to activate Mega Evolution. While the city environment and scripted segments were less appealing to some, the smooth sixty frames per second performance on the Nintendo Switch Too and the engaging combat system were highlights. The new mechanics allow for more dynamic fights, according to a lot of these previews, and the potential for greater challenge, though some elements like visual feedback for cool downs could be improved. The game is set to release on October sixteenth, Forno Switch and Natato Switch too, with many questions about its full scope and long term apeal remaining coming out of these previews. That's sort of like, that's the tenor of most of the previews is people were mostly impressed by the combat system. They're like, it's not I saw someone say, you know, it is more dynamic than ever, although it's still maybe a far cry from feeling like a full ash catchum animated battle, which oh yeah, I guess I was never really expecting that, but sort of kind of getting moving in that direction. Sounds exciting for this other version of Pokemon. Now, where are you at with Legends z A, How are you thinking about it?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to it, like when it first got revealed and the trailer we saw it for that, I am excited for the fact that they are trying something at least resembling a real time combat system. Very Zeno Blade is the comparison that I've heard a lot. Now that's sort of like MMO combat butts offline a little bit, so you know, the Pokemon might basic attack or something like that, but then your abilities you have them all cool down your Pokemon attacks stuff like that. I think it's cool. I really like the direction that they're hanging in with this. I haven't had a chance to like look at any of the hands on myself yet. If anyone's wondering SPS, the World Championships is happening this weekend, and anyone's who's out there, they have a demo there, so I assume that we'll see even more about this nothing else. Joe Merrick there be well like keep going through the line and break it all down for us or whatever. But yeah, it seems like as far as I can tell, what we saw from those trailers, and I'm happy because that's the legend series. As we saw with Archius, is their opportunity to try something new and different, and the older generation of Pokemon fans or lapsed fans are always saying, hey, I want a more difficult Pokemon game. I want a Pokemon game with new mechanics. Well, they're not going to do that for the mainline ones because they want to keep selling twenty five million plus every single time from the kids who like that formula. But this is for you. The Legends games are for you. That's what you're looking for. And it seems that if they learned from Archius and they're doing some interesting stuff with it, like I'm looking here, you collect megapower orbs to activate mega evolution. That's different than how it was done next and why so I guess that fits in with the more real time element of it. That's cool. I like that, and I think that's what people who are looking for something fresh Pokemon will be looking for as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I've said it before. I really liked Arkius. I am looking forward to this.
Speaker 1: I hope it sort of hits the same nerve for me, because what they have shown off so far does look promising. At the same time, Yeah, you're right, they don't need to change they well I don't. If they don't need to, they won't change the formula of the main games, and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 3: They do, and it pisses off Mike Manati every goddamn time they change one little thing, and he's like, now it needs to be like red Blue.
Speaker 1: I just need the visuals to like really catch up. Obviously that's not that's a very cold take at this point. But someone's like pointed but posted like I think it was Andy Cortez posted a video some new indie RPG coming up that's sort of HD two D adjacent. It just had really sharp, like DS style sprites in an HD awesome looking world, and it's just like, Yeah, what if Pokemon looked like that?
Speaker 2: That would be awesome, And they're just so far away from that, right.
Speaker 3: It made it's a good time to mention I'm over HG two D.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, you're You're definitely not the only one. I've heard that a bunch, now, I get. I just think that they're I mean.
Speaker 3: But game freed Niez to step it up for a lot of us. Yeah, they're they're stuck in like early three sixty. They need to hire more people, they need to hire new artists, do something.
Speaker 2: Right early three sixties exactly.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 1: They are just putting out HD visuals because that's what they're supposed to do, without any like real feeling of artistic intent behind their choices. And that's that's what I want, I just want to class they stylize their game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a classic problem that no one actually wants to attribute. It's management. They're being mismanaged. It's not the artist's fault that they have to crunch out, of course. Yeah, that's why they're taking more time on this one. So yeah, hopefully Gen ten looks a lot nicer. Even if it's not up to the quality that we expect out like First Party Nintendo or something. Hopefully they've done something to smooth that out over there.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, you know what, let's take a break. We got some ads to get two. We'll come back after this. You want ad pre version, go to giant bomb dot com slash join jam my computer sick. I've decided it's time to start building a new one. I just don't know where to start, greb.
Speaker 4: If your computer is sicky, pooh, you gotta start with MSI, which just drops something big in its brand new Z eight ninety and B eight sixty Intel motherboards are those.
Speaker 1: The motherboards that unlock the power of the Intel Core Ultra series two CPUs.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, these MOBOs, as we're calling them on the streets, are powerhouses for gaming. Streaming and whatever intense tasks you.
Speaker 2: Need to throw at them.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but Jane, you know me, I'm scared of tools. That's screwdrivers so sharp it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, bud.
Speaker 4: MSI made them jeffproof meb danproof as well, which means they're easy to work with. No more wrestling with tiny little screws or confusing manuals. We're talking easy dbug LEDs that tell you exactly what's going on too. Less installs for your M two drive and jipoos or GPUs we're calling them Jippoo's two now okay.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, Oh okay yeah.
Speaker 1: MSI has that modern bios as well that looks like it was actually made for humans to use, not some relic from two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: Give me more of that.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right. It's going to be so easy to get secure boots on the ground. It's like PC building on easymode grub. And here's the best part, giant BombCast listeners. MSI is giving you ten percent off these new regularly priced Z eight ninety and B eight sixty boards. Just head over to US store dot MSI dot com and use promo code BombCast at checkout boom instant savings.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm gonna stack that discount. They allow you to do that with MSIs got ongoing promotions. That's potentially going to score me up to one hundred and twenty dollars in Steam codes. It's basically free games just for upgrading. Everyone listening should do the same.
Speaker 3: So if you're ready to upgrade your setup, do not wait.
Speaker 4: Visit us dash store dot MSI dot com and use the code BombCast bom c a st all in lowercase and give your PC the upgrade it deserves.
Speaker 2: MSI making PC building less of a headache and.
Speaker 1: A lot more fun. Mobo, We're back Gays Mornings. Yeah, thank you very much. That's Sean. I'm Jeff. We'll get back into the headlines now. The next Resident Evil remakes are Code Veronica and zero, according to rumors. This is from dusk Gullum, who is the source of the rumors on Twitter. The next he writes, the next remakes are Resident Evil, Code Veronica and Resident Evil Zero. They should be releasing in twenty twenty seven. Slash Yeah, twenty twenty eight, like one per year, though they are unclear about when each one will come out specifically, so it will be one then the other. He just doesn't know what order they're going to come out in. I think it's probably gonna be Codroonica than Zero. I also think these are the right ones to remake at this time. They shouldn't jump They should not jump ahead to five. Do these first, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You don't need to remake an HD era game, contrary to what Naughty Dog wats you believe, Like, those games stand alone well enough with their PC versions and their currents and ports. Also, these games kind of suck, so please remake them into something good so that they fit right in with all of the other remakes and updated versions that they've been playing out. Make something that as potential be kind of cool, you know.
Speaker 1: Yes, like they I always love the idea of Resident Evil zero specifically, and it's just man, that execution wasn't there. So just take those ideas, run it through the filter of what they've done with Resident Evil too, even Resident Evil three, and boy, yeah that should work. That should be a great game. Actually, I bet that game's gonna be really good.
Speaker 2: So let's get.
Speaker 1: Both of these done right now. And I think it's easy to guess these games are going to get remade. They've had so much success with Resident Evil at this point, I do hope that this is accurate, though.
Speaker 2: Okay, but they get done with these two games.
Speaker 1: We're in twenty twenty eight, Sean, we're having the same conversation about what the remaking next. At that point they probably do.
Speaker 2: Do something with the rest of Evil five at that point, right, well.
Speaker 3: You think they're more likely to do one again than.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's really possible.
Speaker 1: I mean one is, they definitely are going to remake one again at some point.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, but they will that. That's maybe like the one they finish on, even because I really don't think you need to remake five or six, just let those stand alone. One Maybe one would be interesting to see in the style of RI two remake, because all we have of that is the original and the GameCube remake, which is really just a complete graphical overhaul extra content and stuff, sure, but is super faithful. I would kind of like to see what they do with bringing that into the other formula.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I also think that would do really well with a modern audience, especially if you market it the right way, because it wouldn't be a reboot. But they're just like the original story and scarier than ever or whatever may bring someone already seven into it all and like have.
Speaker 2: The first person person Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, I think at.
Speaker 3: Least because yeah, when not good, I guess we still don't know exactly how nine works, if it's an option, or if it's character dependent, if it's first or third.
Speaker 1: So when the yes, when they showed us in when I was sitting in that room, it was third person, and then was no, it was first person, it was first person, and then they at the end of the demo I wasn't playing, they were playing. They go to the menu and in the options it was switched from third person to first person person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how they did it in what the eight deal c is what they updated to That makes sense. I think having that option in an RI one remake would be pretty cool. Yeah. I think they are going to try to keep doing this formula as long as it makes sense and there's not intense diminishing returns. I think doing co ARAKA zero that gets you, you know, a few more years of this. We'll see if they do one, and then after that after that, you know, I'm really curious to see where reside Evil goes after that? Like Ari ten? Is that what we're thinking about? Where they just need to keep pushing the envelope because I feel like nine would they tend to do things in trilogies roughly, even if there's the same characters, So I'm kind of curious to see where they would go after nine as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean right, that's going to be a whole conversation at that point, for sure. I'm glad we're far away from them having to figure that out. Let's just enjoy nine. I You're right, what happens to the rest of Evil long term? So they do have at least my understanding is two teams working on the REMA makes while they also have a team making the main next game. I think that's how it works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they outsourced stuff for like the Fur remake and.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, right, So it's like, Okay, can we expect that that sort of amount of that volume of development on Resident Evil or on Capcom games at least to continue, probably because it's just like they don't want to cut back because it's making the money. So it's like once they get to a point where it's like we're done with Resident Evil zero and Code Veronica, and now we're figuring out what we're gonna do with one or five or six. Maybe it's like, well, yeah, but Dino Crisis is right there. There's a bunch of other older Capcom games you can maybe begin giving the same treatment to because you run out of road with Resident Evil.
Speaker 3: Don't get me started on Capcom forgain that they have other franchises.
Speaker 2: I'm forgiving. Okay, the fighting games just yeah, that's definitely one thing.
Speaker 1: The rest of them, though, I kind of like understand it at a certain point because it's like they kind.
Speaker 3: Of they have a little bit of the Xbox syndrome of like, oh, you know, Halo Forts of Gears with three Fighter, Mosser Hunter, Resident Evil, Like they don't branch out too much beyond that. Like Dragon's Dogma two was like that's kind of thing like we talked about with Soccer I and uh air Riders, how that happened because they need to keep people happy. That's why they made Drains Sogba two.
Speaker 1: I think it was a little bit of a column, a little bit of column be in that situation. Let's keep them happy. But at the same time, uh, like see if we can make Dragon's Dogma one of these like a new pillar alongside these other three that we know are standing in there. Uh, and you know they're gonna probably gonna let that team now go back to Devil May Cry and kind of like, Okay, let's do the what the next version of Devilment Cry can be and see if we can build that up to be that thing. But these other the three cores are working super well for Capcom's and they and they're and they're growing really fast.
Speaker 2: So I think they're like, let's keep keep doing that.
Speaker 1: But you're right, they will eventually run out of real estate, run out of road, to the point where it's like, oh, they should have been diversifying earlier.
Speaker 2: I think they're trying to. It's just it is difficult. People want they're from what they're familiar with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have Onnmusha coming out, we have the new O comedy project down the road, like they are slowly getting back into that. I do think those are maybe safer picks, and they should try something a little weirder like Dino Crisis, like a fighting game that's an a street fighter please God. But yeah, they're they're getting better at that, and I think more Importantly, pack COM's doing great right now. Like nobody needs to tell Capcom what to do. We're just spitballing here. Like look at three Fire six. They save Street Fighter like it was in the dumps after five. So they got some smart people over there doing great things with these franchises. So I have full faith that whatever we see next out of them and including these resident evil remis, and I think gonna be really good.
Speaker 1: Director of Scrap The Last of Us Online says his new United States slash Japanese co production studio is making a cinematic multiplayer title.
Speaker 2: This is from Chriscoian at VGC.
Speaker 1: The director of the Wrapped online spin off of the Last of Us says he launched a new studio in Japan to make something similar. Vinette Agriwam, I'm sure I'm Brett Butchering that who was at naughty Dog for around a decade, was the game director of what was known internally as the Last of Us Online, but after the project was scaled back in size, the developer eventually announced in December that it had been canceled. Now, in a new interview with game Spark, Agriwam has said that he and former Naughty Dog creative director Joe Petinati Joe Peenanati have formed a new studio because they want to create something similar. Specifically, Agriwam explained that he wanted to make a multiplayer game that offers a level of action found in a typical single player Naughty Dog game. My main titles were Uncharted, four of Thieves in Uncharted, The Lost Legacy, and the Last of Us Part two, Agrowam said via machine translation. I worked on both multiplayer and single player. I was mainly in charge of boss battles, and Naughty Dog's boss battles are generally one on one situations, so I wanted players to feel like they were fighting a human player, not an AI, even in single player.
Speaker 2: To be more specific, I worked.
Speaker 1: On the final boss in a Thief's in and the fight between Ellie and Abbey, and the Last of Us Part two. I used all of my knowledge of multiplayer to create the feeling that you were fighting a human. A big part of what inspired me to go independent was seeing the potential and combining Naughty dogs specialty cinematic action with multiplayer. That was always going to be the promise of I think it was called factions at one point. But the new version of the Last of Us Online was we're going to bring Last of a style storytelling and cinematic feelings to this multiplayer game, and from all accounts that worked, that part was working.
Speaker 2: They nailed that. That was a success.
Speaker 1: The issues with that game, the reason I got canceled, was it was going to be this behemoth to support, and even if they were able to support it with enough content in an ongoing way, the support that they were going to be able to create due to the nature of the Last of Us probably was not going to be a huge return on investment because they weren't going to be able to bring Ronald McDonald.
Speaker 2: And fucking Shakira in there as skins.
Speaker 3: So I realize what you're going for there, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's it's like, that's the reason the game was canceled, not because of anything that this guy was trying to do with his vision here. So he's probably frustrated, going, I know this works. I know I can do this. He already has worked. I'm just gonna go do it somewhere else where I can actually put the game out and not have bungee walking there and be like this will never work and my game gets canceled, which is essentially what happened here.
Speaker 2: I want to see it. I do think that. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: I think that there is a craving for a shakeup in the multiplayer space.
Speaker 2: I think that's you know, that's what was happening with.
Speaker 1: Hell Divers two, where people are like, this feels a little bit different, let's go there. Battlefield six feels fresh, even though it's it's very familiar in a lot of ways. People are like, it's not exactly what I've been playing for the last ten years, so I'm ready for this again. To me, that says the appetit for something that is truly fresh in this space is massive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why we see indie games like Peak take off and you know before that your content warnings and your lethal companies, because people do want something interesting and new to play with their friends. And that's what we get out of the indie space so often, and we so often can't really get out of the Triple A space because it takes so long for while these projects to come out because people expect something specific out of these companies that they can't do something like that and I'm sure that's part of like where this frustration is coming from, is the fact that you have to go through so many processes, you have to go through so much red tape to get something off the ground, and dude just wants to make a game, you know, So I can see why you would want to take that in your own direction and everything. And also we are we have so many the forever games as you always call them, like your Fortnites Call of Duties, especially with Warzone and all these games moving in that direction that they have stuck around for a while, and forever game is never actually a forever game, Like you know, there's the exceptions who were like Minecraft that like are the top five exceptions to ule ever kind of you know, like legal Legends or whatever. But some of these games have been around so long that people do want something fresh even in that space, and fresh can mean revisiting what used to work. I think that's why we see Battlefield six working. So yeah, this doesn't even have to be like the most groundbreaking thing ever, as long as it has like a fresh concept and or something we haven't seen in a while, I think people would really hate to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think you know, video games definitely got to a point where, or used to get to a point where people felt they had to reinvent the wheel to kind of get people's attention, and we are definitely in the era of you don't have to do that. Give people what they want in a way that surprises them. That's phrase I always use. I think that is very accurate for what is happening with Battlefield six. But you know what, I'm I'm a little surprised that this is the game I'm getting right now, and very happy.
Speaker 2: It's very familiar.
Speaker 1: It's exactly what I wanted to feel, warm and fuzzy, and it's fun to play, and that's why it's working. I think you're right that they don't need to try to do something completely different. But if they deliver a familiar style of game in a cinematic way that feels different, that just sounds like a recipe for success to me.
Speaker 2: Last couple of stories here, Battlefield soon.
Speaker 1: Call of Duty Black Ops seven will reportedly not be on switch To at launch. This is from Chris Scullying at VGC. The upcoming Call of Duty Black Ops seven will not be available on switch To at launch. An insider says Deal Labs writer Bill bill Koon, who has a lengthy track record of accurately reporting release information, says that despite Microsoft's pledge to bring Call of Duty Series ten and Nintendo, they can confirm that there will be no switch to version of the game when the game is released on Xbox Series PS five five, Xbox One PS four m PC. This doesn't necessarily mean the game will never receive a switch to port in the future, simply that it won't be ready on day one. This is probably something where it's like, oh, are they just not following through with their promise? Maybe a little bit, but also they probably only have switched one dev kits and they only maybe they got switched to dev kits recently. But I wouldn't be surprised if anything under the Microsoft umbrella is still kind of waiting to get switched two dev kates or at least teams are like struggling to get it, even Call of Duty, because Nintendo's just weird about that. Obviously they would love to have Call of Duty money, but I think they are. It seems like they have kept Microsoft at arm's length despite their warm relationship, because they're like, you still make a console. We're not going to give you our console early, and even as the system is out, we've heard developers are still struggling to get it, maybe even Call of Duty studios. I think this is a byproduct of that more more than anything. And even if they if you have switched to deaf kids at this point, they're not going to rush that to get it done. They'll just put it out on switch To later. So I guess that's the question. Does is Black Op seven end up on switch to at some point?
Speaker 3: In your opinion, I would assume so, especially with how quickly they like to turn around these projects. In general. They have a last gen version, they have an Xbox one PS four version still still christ and that can you know, pray easily poured over to the switch too. And I do think that you're right that this was just a case of them not getting dead kits for any number of reasons at this point, if nothing else, the fact that if they got them, you know, sometime earlier this year, it's still entirely new hardware for them to work on. They didn't put out a Call of Duty on Switch one, and so you know, thanks to the failure of the WEU, they probably just felt a little bit burned by that. May there's some internal stuff about be sure about this. We are we sure that the switch audience will buy Call of Duty, and I think maybe there's just some slowness on their end as well. It could be any number of factors coming together, but I do think that black Ops six or sorry black Ops seven specifically, why they do two in a row. It I think it could show up as soon as like they want to get out this is anur one where Hey put out like Order one next year, Call of Duty's still pop an off around that time if it assuming it will, because the previous D versions do as well, all cross play, you know, integrating in with the call due ecosystem and every thing. I think they'll do well no matter when they put it out. So even if there is a delay for technical reasons or why not, I think maybe this is just coming into my head right now. Maybe it's because they need to get war Zone going on the damn thing at the same time, right and building Yeah, building a port of that would also be in our studio. That would be something that like Raven would be doing, or they outsource it. It's just going to take time. To get all this up and running on an arm chip, you know, a completely different platform than all the rest of these systems that we're just mentioned. Like, it's yeah, it's a matter of time. I don't think it's anything malicious, it's just you know that we're a little slow going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think you stumbled onto there at the end. That's probably right.
Speaker 1: Like the Call of Duty machine is such a behemoth itself. It's such this massive thing of we talked about, you know, just Black Ops seven support that to the switch too. It's like, actually, there's a lot more to consider there. There's the Call of Duty Headquarters thing where they want you to go into the app first and launch stuff from there because they want you to have the full experience and get you into war zone.
Speaker 2: They won't have that.
Speaker 1: Ready, and so we're now we're now we're talking about not just one team getting a switch to dev kits. It is seven, eight teams across all these different things getting up to speed on working with the switch to. And that's just not something they're going to distract people with while they're trying to launch this game on familiar platforms with the expectation of they're going to deliver a certain amount of money on day one. Let's just do what we know and then we'll get around to figuring out this new stuff that is gonna be just going to be a distraction. I don't think this is People are like, where, oh, is this mean we need to switch to pro already? I don't think it's that. Call of Duty is on Xbox One. It's on a VCR. It's probably gonna run like shit on there. But I guarantee that this game would run better on a switch to than a Xbox One via VCR.
Speaker 3: Yeah, DLS baby, last story here.
Speaker 1: Xbox announces big list of games for its two games Com broadcasts next week. Games comes next week. Opening Night Live is on Tuesday. We're gonna try to figure out if we're gonna be able.
Speaker 2: To pull off a talkover.
Speaker 1: I want to, but it's right when we'd be doing the BombCast, So if we do it, we're gonna have to move things around.
Speaker 2: We'll give you guys some more info once we know exactly how we're gonna play that.
Speaker 1: As far as the Xbox at games Com broadcast, it looks, you know, I think they're doing sort of a Nintendo Treehouse Live sort of thing all day broadcast, showing up one thing after another, starting with the Xbox rog Ally on Wednesday, August twentieth. Then they're going to have an update on Flight Simulator, Dying Light, The Beast the Beast, Keeper The Din Light the Beast, and then Keeper is a separate game, a World of Warcraft Midnight, which is their the big new expansion for World of Warcraft.
Speaker 2: They will show off Black Ops seven Rounded two.
Speaker 1: Then there's a bunch of other games from Partners that looks like Hotel Barcelona Invincible Versus. Later, they will show off later that day Indiana Jones and The Great Circle The Order of Giants.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about that. I want to go back to Indiana Jones.
Speaker 1: On Thursday, they will show off Ninja Guide in four at Fates in any Musha, Way of the Sword, Aga Empire's four, Overwatch two, High On Life two, and The Outer Worlds two. There's more as well as Mortal Kombat Legacy Collection, Final Fantasy Tactics, The Evelise Chronicles and Lego Voyagers. And then they're going to end the day with Middle Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater, which is out not long after that since at the at the end of the month, so actually it's the next week after that, so one more party with middle Gear and then we'll get that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds promising to me. I'm going to check a lot of this out.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, you know, Wednesday and Thursday they'll have all these things popping off. If there's any news, we'll talk about it on Games Mornings. Look looking forward, looking forward to do that. But I'm getting excited about games Com, how about you, Sean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of games in here that I'm looking forward to. I'm just curious to see how much new stuff they show, because I feel like sometimes we just get expanded versions of stuff we've already seen at games Come. But what we've heard that Resident Evil nine is getting a brand new trailer and stuff. So yeah, well, you know, the summer game mess, as it were, is a lot less exciting than E three season by things spreading, so this stuff out can still be exciting. And I'm looking at this list from Xbox and yeah, there's some stuff to be excited about here, So I think I'm in the same bow as you.
Speaker 1: Excellent, all right, you know what that does for the headlines, Let's get to the poll question from yesterday, then we'll wrap up what we're gonna be talking doing for the rest of the day, and then we'll finish the week with the Bomb twelve. Let's refresh here and make sure that I have the most recent info on Yes, here we go. Here's yesterday's poll. Do you have PlayStation Plus? The options were yes, Premium, Yes, Extra, yes, Basic again I'm not sure if that's the name, but whatever, everyone gets it and no. Fifty four percent said no. That means forty six percent does have one version or the other. Seventeen percent have Premium, ten percent have Extra, and nineteen percent have Basic. You know, we brought this up just because we had some updates on some games getting added. I was curious to see what the audience. Where the audience is at. That's a lot of people to have PlayStation Plus. So one of the conversations we had yesterday Sean about about this was that next Xbox, if it's going to be a PC, they're not going to be able to charge for online anymore. Maybe they have some sneaky way of making of justifying doing exactly that, but you know, in my mind, they're saying, you're gonna be able to have some if you play your Steam games on there. They're not gonna be able to charge for multiplayer right using your Steam games. So it's gonna be weird if the Xbox games do require it. But there's so much money in charging people for online, and then all the extra games on top of that, that's almost a bonus. People seem to mostly pay to be able to play their games online. It's PlayStation going to be like the one console. I guess Nintendo requires online as well for payments, So I don't think this is going away. There's so much money there, but it does feel antiquated at this point, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. I as soon as I'm finished wrapping up some projects that I need Adobe producs for, I do plan on trying to take the Plunge over to Linux on my PC.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: The problem with that is things like secure bood for Battlefield six and not running even under a virtual machine. So I was thinking like, oh, why just play those on my PS five now, because I do have a PS five now, I just even plugging a keyboard and mouse for Battlefield six. Then I realized a station plus, right, I would have to pay for that and that's the trade off that sucks. Maybe I'll do it anyways, because just to you know, play Battlefield six twelve bucks and we'll not have to deal with Microsoft. Maybe that's worth it. We'll see. Also, I looked it up and it's a PS plus essential essential that you have PlayStation Plus according to the poll, maybe not. Yeah, maybe they're gonna want to charge for it. Yeah. And with the Xbox thing, that is an interesting point because I think it all depends on how PC liked the next Xbox is. I think if I had to bet, it's going to be less forward facing PC like than people are expecting. And maybe that's ill get away with either charging for gold or at the very least really pushing game Pass. And it's maybe just they figure out in our way of shuffle things around and it's like include into one of those lower tiers again.
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see, let's talk about what's going to be happening on Giant Bomb for the rest of the day. In a little bit, we are gonna be going to license the Thrill Food edition. We are going to be playing various food license games. We'll probably get some that treasure Land game the Ronald McDonald won from Treasure.
Speaker 2: You know, I might go get some I might go get pepsi man. I think it's time for pepsi man again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 2: It's bad but fun.
Speaker 1: So we'll do a bunch of stuff like that that will happen at let's see here, twelve thirty Eastern time, and then at three pm Eastern time it's upf we're gonna start with Dragon Drive, and then we're gonna do that Campfire game that was in that Nintendo Direct not too long ago that has all the game chat features built into it for the switch to looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: All right, I think that, I think God doesn't. So let's wrap up the show with the Bomb twelve. Everybody.
Speaker 1: This is our segment where we ask you what are the games that matter right now? What are you playing? We have the results they are in let's get to it. Here's what we have this week. Starting at number twelve, Merge Maestro holding that spot firm. That is the hot new sort of like a combination game, like it's threes mixed together with like there's an attack system. I still have not played it because I'm afraid, but everyone else that is playing. It seems truly obsessed with it. Number eleven new game Mafia the Old Country did pretty well. I've learned so far with the Bomb twelve that games that release the week of the Bomb twelve struggle to get really high. So I won't be surprised if the IF Mafia the Old Country is a little bit higher next week.
Speaker 2: But it did crack the Bomb twelve this week.
Speaker 1: Number tick. Number ten is Heretic plus Hexin. I'm still enjoying that. That's a big pop off for that game. Number nine grounded to number eight Ninja guid in Rage Bound that is also holding strong. I bet that game actually holds on for a few more weeks. Even Number seven is street Fighter six. People are still yeah, that's I mean, it's the Ebo Shine for sure.
Speaker 3: But even before god yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Even before you vote this was on the Bomb twelve. Street Fighter six just might be a perennial hit here.
Speaker 3: It's just a great game.
Speaker 1: Number six is UFO fifty that popped off on switch To and a big reason that was on it was online.
Speaker 2: It was on last week. I'm I think I'm a little surprised it's still there this week, and it's very high at number six, So ufo fifty people checking that out now that it's a little bit more easily accessible. Then number five.
Speaker 1: You did it again, folks Uma Masame pretty Derby is back and it's very high on the list. My horse freaks out there. I'm very proud of you. Number four, death Stranding two on the beach.
Speaker 2: This, like top five.
Speaker 1: Is always does seem like it's getting mixed around. Death Stranding did very well last week was number two. I believe number four this week is still very good, but it did get bumped down due to number three Battlefield six Beta. That game I think barely cracked the the bomb twelve last week. This week, of course it was going to get up there. That's you know, it's free for people to try last week, and so I think a lot of people did try it, and that's showing up here. But even that that game, which is massive, that's been the news stories about Battlefield six, this entire news cycle is Hey, everyone's playing that thing. It still wasn't enough to knock down Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three, which is back up to number two after dropping a little bit last week. That's impressive, and of course as predicted.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 1: Still Donkey Kong Bonanza probably doesn't get knocked off until.
Speaker 2: Metal Gear launches. I've been saying that this whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is fascinating, Sean to go through the Google sheet of the form responses and you know, order it by you know, A to Z give me just I want to look at it and see what their responses look like. And just Donkey Kong, Donkey Yong, Donkey Kong. Tons of people still playing that, and that's the Bomb twelve.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Donkey Kong Bananza and every game in their Congratulations to everybody for helping form the Bomb twelve. We'll do it again next week. I'm really looking forward to it. With that out of the way, Sean, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: It was a fun time.
Speaker 1: Jeff, thank you all for watching and listening. Be sure to go to that MSI store and use the BombCast code to get your ten percent discount. Thank you for watching. Like I said, best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.