Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along here on a Tuesday afternoon on Sports Talk seven ninety. We are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton's. If you haven't already, it's very easy to do. You go to Refreshment Awards dot com. Or if you want to do it on your phone, just go to the app store, whether it be iTunes App Store with your iPhone or if you have an Android, the Google Play Store. Just search for Refreshment Awards, search for Thornton's. One of those two will work for you, and you'll save money every time you fill up from then on, and your initial savings when you sign up is twenty five cents off per gallon. So again, we are proudly fuel about Thornton's Here Coffee and Company on Sports Talk seven ninety Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio ab Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Nick Coffee that is me the company man, that is mister John Alden, who's alongside today, And one more thing to throw out there when it comes to Louisville football. Obviously on a bye week this week, and as I've mentioned, it just kind of feels like the season hasn't started yet. It has, But I guess, more than anything, like I mean, I'd rather have had two games to see this team in action, and it was awesome to see them blow out Austin p and really handle Jacksonville State and cover as twenty eight and a half point favorites. But I guess, more than anything, what I mean is that I'm a little envious. You know, every team in the ACC, just about every team at the Power five level, has had the ability to learn a little bit of something about their squad because of the competition they played up to this point. And for Louisville, we just got to wait a little bit longer because of the rare late edition on the schedule of Jacksonville State due to Indiana getting out of the series, and then the bye week, which is just weird to have a bye week this early. I could be wrong, but I feel like bye weeks this early have only been for teams that played Week zero.
Speaker 3: So it used to be the case, but because every team has too now right weeks now, that's why you see it more commonly happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I'm sure Louisville is not alone. I'm sure there's other schools that are also on a bye week this week, but they've probably played you know, somebody we've heard of other than you know, Jacksonville State and Austin P. But again, I don't bring that up to say like that's a negative for Louisville football. I mean, again, they're in the top twenty right now, they've had a chance to really you know, even they've had a chance to work on some things.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't think that Jeff Brown really showed a whole lot in the first two weeks, because that's not what you'd want to do, and he didn't need to, right He was pretty vanilla with the play calling. And yet still, you know, I think the offense showed out. I mean, they could have scored more points clearly against Jacksonville State, and they put up sixty two and gave up zero against Austin P. But we all know that when you play next Thursday. I'm sorry, Next Saturday at three point thirty against Georgia Tech, that'll be your first test, and it's not going to be a big test, but hey, it's a bigger test than what you've had up to this point. And just because Georgia Tech lost to Syracuse doesn't mean that Georgia Tech's going to be a bad team this year. In fact, I think what they did against Florida State, although now it doesn't look as impressive given that Florida State lost to Boston College and really got worked. I mean, I still think George Tech's a good team, and I know they're a lot better than who Louisvi's played up to this point, So I'm excited about that. But the real test, even though the loss to Northern Illinois has taken a little bit of the potential juice away from what you'd get if you could knock them off in South Bend, you know, if you're Louisville like that, that's a top twenty matchup. I don't think Notre Dame deserves to be ranked, but hey, they still are, and this week they play Let's see here. The reason I'm bringing this up is because their new quarterback Riley Leonard, who transferred from Duke louis was already played them obviously, and Louisville shut him out last year. He's got an injury that is something to monitor here. His posterior laborm on, his non throwing shoulder, was injured in their loss in Northern Illinois. So he is expected to play this Saturday when they take on Purdue. And you know, if he's playing Saturday and he comes away, you know, without further you know, furthering that injury, then he'll be good to go. And I want him to play. Like you know, I'm trying. I'm trying my best to just understand that there's no way to control what outsiders choose to do when crediting or discrediting Louisville in what they accomplish, right, I mean Notre Dame beating Northern Illinois would have taken away the best moment thus far of the college football season. But you know, with that, it also means that if Louisville beats them, Louisville will be the one that officially puts the nail in their coffin when it comes to the playoff. I think that's already happened. I don't think there's a scenario so that they get in the playoff now, and if they do, I will bet there'll be the like, let's just say again they finish the season. I mean, they can't be a two loss team, right, they'd have to go eleven in one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if they go eleven and one and their wins of value are Louisville Florida State, which who knows what value that would have? Who knows what value Louislle would have to be honest with you, And then at USC at the end of the year, like if they beat Louisville and they beat Florida State, and they get by the other teams they play, which they which they should without any trouble, it'll be coming down do like what others do. And is USC still viewed as a big time win, Like if USC looks like a real contender in the Big Ten, then that could be an opportunity for them to, at least in my opinion, enter the conversation. But I don't care. Like when you don't play in a conference and you schedule the way you do and you slip up and lose to Northern Illinois. No, I don't think you'd get in regardless. Now, if you happen to have Florida State was elite and you beat them and Louisville ends up having that be their only loss this year, and Louisville goes on to beat Miami and beat Clemson and then USC like at that point it would be a conversation. But like, Florida State's already already done enough to where you're not going to get a whole lot of value there. And that's and that's what would happen for Louisville here. And again you can't control it. I mean, I know Northern Illinois just did it, but like not many teams go and win in South Bend and I hate that. That's you know, as much as I was celebrating Northern Illinois beating them and I loved it, I wouldn't change it. If I had the ability to go back in time, I still probably wouldn't change it because in a corny sentimental way, that was a reminder that you know, it's not pro sports for everybody. You know what I mean. Northern Illinois is not doesn't have a roster that was built on nil. And they went in and beat South and beat Notre Dame who I would imagine spent multiple millions of dollars on their roster this year. Northern Illinois didn't do that. They don't have the ability to do that. So it's a great story. But if Louisville beats Notre Dame, the story won't be about Louisville being for real. It will be to us. And I still think you can feel great if you go in and beat them in South Bend. Youre's probably still gonna be underdogs, to be honest with you, just because you know that's how odds makers are going to see it. They're gonna look at it as maybe a one off. Although if if not to name struggles against Purdue, which they shouldn't, then maybe that would change some things. But if Riley Leonard doesn't play and Louisville beats him, it'll be another data point for people to throw out there as to why maybe louisville schedule is not worthy of them being considered for the playoff unless they win the big through the acc But like, you can't control that, and it's gonna bother me, clearly, I bring it up a lot, but I got to take my own advice and just like you know, not worry about it, but clearly easier said than done for me. All right, So before we get into the Tyreek Hill situation because I'm I'm I'm kind of putting it off because I don't I mean, I don't want to get worked up and share my thoughts and it lead to people, you know, thinking I'm trying to be political, because I don't. I don't think this is political at all. But it's clearly a situation where as I said earlier, I think people wanted to see They said that they wanted to see it, and they've now seen the body cam footage. But there's so many people in this country right now that are not making decisions based off their own brain. They're just doing what they think they're supposed to do when it comes to what their political side would do. And I just hate that is the case. And yesterday I think was a reminder of that, just like the Scottie Scheffler thing. But we'll get to that later on. What I want to get to now is this this tweet from Vince Marrow that I think, although it's not a huge deal, it's not something that you know, UK needs to send out like a press release and reprimand Vince Marrow. But like I think his social media shenanigans here are a little telling as to where Kentucky and Mark Stoops's staff are right now, because I think Stoops for a while has felt not appreciated, which is wild because he makes a ton of money and he doesn't have to do a whole lot for that money. Other people making that amount of money would need to have way better results than what Mark Steops has had. But he's in a unique situation because again and he's given Kentucky some sustained success they've never had before. But now, you know, Kentucky fans, to their credit, are seemingly smartening up a little bit and understanding like, hey, I know, like beating Georgia is unrealistic. We just wanted you to compete a little bit more, but beating South Carolina is not an unreasonable ask. And you got hammered like people did pony up and the result was you getting beat by a team that, to be honest with you like And this is where it gets tricky with Kentucky. I think for the longest time they've wanted a little bit more, but yet again they realize Stoops has given them more sustained success than they've ever had in any other tenure, probably in their lifetime. And when they do fall short and they end up, you know, three and five in the SEC. Seven and five overall eight and five after a bawl win, they don't think that that's lead. They don't think that that's like great, but they tell themselves, hey, at least Mark Stoops is doing that. The previous coaches we had didn't do that, and with Stoops, like that's just the best he can do with what we have to work with. Because we're Kentucky football. I think that's been the mindset with a lot of their fans for a long time, understandably so. But things have changed now, Like Kentucky has good players. Like I wish I could sit up here and claim that Kentucky sucks and they have no good players in their bunch of bums, But I don't believe that. I think they have really good talent, and they have better talent in South Carolina. And they got beat thirty thirty two to six, thirty one to six, whatever it was, thirty four to six. I think it was like, that's really unacceptable, you know, to lose to Vandy two years ago with NFL players on that team. Like that's like, so I think even if in some of their fans, I think have clearly addressed it and they realize, hey, we've capped out with Toops, we need to move on, and they want John Sumrall, who was a former assistant there, had a great run at Troy and is now the head coach at two Lane, And they should have beat Kansas State the other day. So I think some of their fans are already there, and I think there are some that are starting to kind of realize, like you'd be a fool to say Stoops is a problem for your program, but like you should be better than you were the other day, and you should be better than you are in the last few years, and like he's got a answer for that. He's the head coach. It's one thing if you can go eight and five every year and truly claim that the games you're losing and your short and your shortfalls are due to the fact that you just don't have the resources as some of the other SEC teams. But that's not where we are anymore in college football. So like fans looking and you know, kind of doing you know, kind of flirting a little bit with the thought of John Sumraw replacing Stoops, like it's not an unreasonable thing for Kentucky. And here's what here, here's what's wild. It's actually a compliment to Stoops. Sounds crazy, right, How could it be a compliment to Stoops? How could you be complimenting Stoops if you're wanting somebody to come because it's because you now know he's proven to you that you can win at Kentucky. He's proven that you can get really good players and you can raise money through nil to keep guys like Dion Walker on your roster. And yet he's not giving you the results. So his proof, his results up to this point have shown that you can reach higher, but yet he's not getting it done. Am I making any sense? Because again, like saying you want another coach to replace Stoops is not a compliment to Stoops. But again it speaks to the fact that he has proven to that fan base that look, we can be better than this. What do we do with losing to South Carolina thirty four to six. So I'll explain to you sort of how this all you know? This? This so nick rous who covers Kentucky Football for KSR. He said he shared the he shared the quote that we played yesterday and that was Stoops saying, I think we get to play for the top six teams in the coming weeks. That's a joy. So, you know, he was being sarcastic. I don't think that's an out of you know, I think he probably should have just not even acknowledged that. But like that's just him honestly being a real human being and acknowledging like, hey, we could play really good football and still loose because we're playing great teams. But you didn't just play a great team. You played a bum that you should have beat. So there's a Twitter account that responded to Nick Rousch's tweet that had the quote that I just shared with you, and they pulled eleven seconds from an old UK football hype video and the Twitter account is barstool Kentucky and the eleven seconds they pulled shows John Summer All talking to the team, I'll play it for you.
Speaker 1: He come get it for me tonight and today some cures come by. May now get for fine night.
Speaker 2: So and by the way, that that did sound kind of badass, and I don't know much about John Summer other than the fact that he got an opportunity to be head coach at Troy, did well, and now he's doing He's in his first season at at Tulane, and if you know, he does well there, he'll get another opportunity. Maybe it's a Kentucky, maybe it's elsewhere, who knows, But that's just a random barstool Twitter account that you know, Barstool Kentucky, just you know, not even there's no text associated to the clip. They're just showing some are all who, by the way, is a former colleague of Mark Stoops's staff, right, he was on Stoops's staff. So Vince Marrow just happened to respond to that tweet. Nobody tweeted it. Vince Nobody tweeted at the UK Football program. It's just a random Barstool Kentucky account that shared the clip of some role. Clearly we know what they're suggesting. But Vince Marrow responds to it yesterday last night, I should say, and just says lol, which means, you know, laugh out loud. That's petty. It's not it's not like something he should be in trouble for. But like, why are you going back and forth with the Barstool Sports Kentucky Football account. Dude, you just like you just got your ass kicked by South Carolina. Like, let fans like take your medicine, bro, Like, I know that you've given Kentucky sustained success. I mean you haven't as the coach, but as a recruiter, a guy who is on Mark Steups's staff. Like, if that's the level of being thin skin to criticism, Oh boy, you should hear what they're saying on radio shows about you, guys, like, you should hear what they say whenever. Yeah, despite like Georgia might name the score Saturday, like if you're already that thin skin, like, it just might seem that this this relationship is damaged. Stoops doesn't seem happy. He seems to feel underappreciated. He's complaining about having all the all the work he's got to do to you know, to to you know, recruit and nil and all that. I mean you heard him cryme boo having to do his job. Every coach has got to do that, man. And yet fans are now realizing, look, dude, we appreciate you, we love you. You changed Kentucky football. You can lose every game the rest of the year and that won't change. You absolutely had a successful tenure at Kentucky, but like you got work to do. Man, Like we this isn't We're not just gonna We're not just gonna be in forever forever in debt to you because you made us not suck anymore. And that might be the best way to describe it. So I bring all that up to share with you. A guy by the name of T Bob and he is a radio host in Louisiana. He's a former LSU offensive lineman and once he got done, you know, playing football, he got into the media game. And it's funny. He's one of these offensive linemen that when he played football he was six three, three oh four. Now he's like, I mean, he's still tall, but like he's he weighs probably half that now. A lot of these old linemen, Eric Wood, Alex Cupper, these guys that I that I know, Man, when they when they get done playing, you would think that you get on playing professional sports, you might pick up weight. These dudes just lose all the weight because in their in their line of work, they're training to be the big the big uglies, as they say, in the trenches. But nonetheless, T Bob is hilarious. He's very entertaining. He clearly is a former player who knows the game. Like to me, if he if he worked for Barstool Sports, he'd be way more famous nationally, which by the way, he already does some national stuff. Like I wouldn't be shocked even in two years. T Bob Hebbert, who wish is his legal name? I mean, his legal name was not T Bob, but that's what he goes by. His name is Bob but Robert, but T Bob is his name. T Bob Hebert wouldn't be would not shock me in the slightest if he's like a national personality covering college football for one of the bigger networks at some point, because that's how that's how entertained to me. I'm just gonna say this. He's a way better Pat McAfee. He provides entertainment without being like a douchebag. I mean, I'm just gonna say it. That's how I see Pat McAfee. But anyways, this was he's he's hammered on this. He's the one like a lot of SEC analysts or people who cover SEC football like he does. He's got a podcast, by the way, with Aaron Murray, former Joy quarterback. Those two guys do a podcast together. T Bob and Murray do a podcast that's on the Volume Network that is part of Colin Cowherd's podcast network, so he has a national following with that. They cover SEC football. They do a good job at it. A lot of these SEC guys love Stoops right because they're like man, Mark Soups, a great coach. Like people still at times throw Stoops in the conversation as one of the top twenty five coaches, top twenty coaches in the country, and they can't pull any result, any accomplishment to back that up other than saying, like Kentucky used to be Kentucky now they're not. This guy T Bob fights against that, and I think he's brilliant because I don't think there's a Kentucky fan that's gonna hear this that won't disagree with what he's saying. And here is here's the clip. I had to edit this out because there's some cursing in it. Davis says, T Bob, why are you so critical of Mark Stoops?
Speaker 3: Kentucky's a very hard place to win. How many games do you expect him.
Speaker 1: To win every year? Oh?
Speaker 3: You puke that bear. Let's go to here we go.
Speaker 4: Look, all I'm saying is, Brad you are you are gaslighting Kentucky fans. If Syracuse can be out here looking this good and winning games and having great quarterback play, why can't.
Speaker 3: Why can't Kentucky? You don't have money.
Speaker 4: You pay Mark Stoops eight million dollars a year, nine million, whatever it is. And in a decade the man is beating teams have finished with a winning SEC record twice and both the teams finished five and three. It's it's it's it's again the analogy I used.
Speaker 3: On Sunday Show, it makes true.
Speaker 4: Kentucky fans are being served a pile of and they're like, god, you know, they're eating it, They're picking out their teeth. They're like, guys, I think this like I think I'm eating poop right now. And everybody's like no, no, no, no, that's not. In fact, it's what you deserve. That is the best food that you can possibly get.
Speaker 3: And poor Kentucky fans are like, yeah, you know, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 4: This is a bad this is fine. Oh look at this.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a little colonel.
Speaker 4: In there that says we beat Louisville every year. Okay, great, I'll keep beating this. And I'm out here saying no, you have the money. Okay, you've done the Mark Stoops experience. You've seen how it can max out. And the age of nil and the transfer portal, the ceilings on what schools can be have changed drastically. We just put the old Miss Rebels in the true national championship contender category. That was impossible before this age because you couldn't recruit in a high school. Okay, Kentucky can be better than what they are and what they have been. They can be better than running at seventeen times in a row and then missing a third and three slant to settle for their second field goal in a row, losing a South Carolina at home thirty one to six. So all you telling me, oh Kentucky fan should be heavy, can talk this.
Speaker 3: Don't be mad to me.
Speaker 4: I'm your champion, I'm your best friend.
Speaker 2: I want better for you. Who disagrees with that, that's a Kentucky fan. First of all, that was hilarious, but also like he's spitting facts. My man, like he's I mean, what is what did he say? Like I think anybody reminding Kentucky football of what they were pre Stoops as if he hasn't proven that, Like it's it's he can do the coach can do that where you're not awful, you're mediocre at best, but also all the resources that you could have, like anybody bringing up well seven and five, like we got to remember who we are. We got like no offense, you're a loser, Like you have a loser mindset. Now I'm not saying you got to go out there and realistically expect to win the national championship. And let's be honest, this year your schedule's loaded with really good teams, so this year's a little bit different. But like the defaulting to well, okay, I should just accept this. He's right. It's like you're eating a crap sandwich and Stoops has been able to feed you the crap, not even a sandwich, just as T Bob says, just feeding you poop. And you're like, wait a second, no, I like this way, Oh wait a second. We beat Louisville, so this is actually a really good dish, and this is what we deserve. Because we can't be better than that. Stoops reminds us of what we were before he got here, and he's right, so we should just appreciate him, like that's what he said and it's not incorrect. All right, quick break, don't forget. In about an hour, we're gonna be giving away a pair of tickets to see Brooks and Done as they bring their Neon Moon tour in April to the KFCM Center. So five point thirty we'll do that. We'll get back to the text on the other side, and I'll just I've been putting it off, but I'll just give People may not even really care about my thoughts and opinions, but you know what, that's my job to share my thoughts and opinions. And the Tyreek Hill arrest or, I guess citation is probably the biggest story in sports still, So I'll share that. Get it out of the way. You can yell at me about politics if you want, and then we'll hug and be friends after that. Okay, I've had a lot of unpopular takes opinions shared on this show before, and I'm fine with that. Yeah, you know, I know, you know, I'd like to think for myself, and I've had a lot of takes that were strong on my end that I was wrong about. This is just a matter of opinion. Nobody's right or wrong. But if you disagree, I do think you are wrong. Again, just an opinion. This is David Lee Murphy's best song. This is a little bit better than Dust on the Bottle. Dust in the Bottle is a great song. I've never heard anybody say they don't like that song. It's great, but I think this is better. You know, that's one of those things you say and people look at you like something wrong with you. Turn it up, John, And if you're wondering while we're playing David Lee Murphy, he's opening for Brooks and Dunn when they bring their tour to the UM Center in April, the Neon Moon Tour, which was announced earlier today by the Kfcumcenter. And thank you to our team here at iHeart Louisville, the crew over there on ninety seventy five WAMZ. We're giving away tickets all week. You like that, W I like that, w W A m Z. There's a lot, you know, a lot of call letters across the radio. Of course, have the W to start, and uh, you know we don't do that. We just we're Sports Talk set of ninety. Technically, our call letters are still W k r D, but our our our brand, if you want to call it that, our brand switch when we went to Sports Talk seven ninety. You know, call letters are still KRD, but we you know, whenever I'm telling you where you are, I don't say kr D, I say Sports Talk seven ninety. But when we made our our switch, you know, I realized I'm no longer saying W k r D or just KRD. And you know, everybody I feel like who is on a stage, they they they have a way in which they say that, Like Tony Venetti, w h A S.
Speaker 3: That's perfect, So you know what I'm talking about, right, no very imitated. You got it, w h S.
Speaker 2: And it's such a it's such there's such an emphasis from him when he does it, right, W it's W Tony, like you know, you know how maybe he's so worried about saying W, but it's it's I mean, double you. I mean, I don't think that's how it's pronounced, but that's how he decides to say it. Whas like why can't we just say it like that, Tony, here, I am giving this man advice and radio guy who had invented the platform essentially double uhas.
Speaker 3: So that was nice.
Speaker 2: That might have been it. I know we talked about this on the show not long ago. You did an impression of somebody, and I don't remember who it was. It might have been Vinetti, it might have been somebody else.
Speaker 3: I thought it was the sketcher slipping guy.
Speaker 2: No, because that because that wouldn't be what I would remember, because I don't care enough about that. You impersonated somebody. You did an impression of somebody I know that we know, and it might have been Vannette. I'm not gonna put you on the spot now, but like I remember, we both looked at each other and thought, okay, wow that Where'd that come from?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 2: Like that was pretty good? Where'd you pull that out of the out of the bag. So anyways, let's talk about Tyreek Hill, shall we. So we now know that the citation that he was given does not allege speed of one hundred miles an hour, which I still don't know where that came from. It says that the visual estimation was sixty miles per hour, and you know, I'm assuming that was going faster than what he's supposed to be going in an area where he was pulled over, which again, like I don't think he was upset that he got pulled over. I mean, it didn't sound like that. I mean, to me, it seemed as if the only thing that led to this being a contentious situation was because he rolled his window up. And I don't want to get into the specific Again, everybody has their own opinion. I'm not trying to change yours. I'm just sharing mine. There was no need for it to escalate to the point that it escalated to because he rolled up his window. And I feel like the initial officer, you know, I think he probably in my if I was somebody, which I would never be the person that is determining who, in fact, is it fault here. I don't think the initial officer was really out of line. But officers are supposed to de escalate situation and there was no de escalation at all here. And I mean where it led to after that where they pulled him out of the vehicle and you know, knee him in the back, throwing him on the ground, I mean that's so not necessary, and you're again you're supposed to de escalate. They did the opposite. They turned this into what it was, not him, And it's the same thing with Scotti Scheffler. That's like, that's how that ended up being that situation. So, you know, I think it's another example of not all of the guys involved, meaning not all the officers that were there when Tyreek Hill was thrown in handcuffs and thrown on the ground, and not everybody that was there whenever Scotty Scheffler got himself in that situation. Again, Scotty Scheffler's in the wrong too, but it didn't need to turn it was. Both situations are things that just do not need to escalate to that level at all. And the job of the officers, among a lot of things, is to de escalate situations. If somebody is a little bit worked up, you know, you're actually trained to de escalate them. You're held to a different standard than they are. And technically, by him rolling up his window, he didn't break the law, like he didn't need to get there, And that's the way I see it. I don't think that you know, any of these officers need to be like fired. But the dude who came up and threw him on the ground and told him to quick crying and said something that didn't even make sense about needing like ear surgery or something, because he did say he had knee surgery recently. That's why he didn't want to mean. He's in a handcuffs, not a threat to anybody. The teammates walking up to try to potentially, they're probably walking up to see if he's irate and they want to calm him down to help everybody involved. They're not a threat to anybody. They have their hands up and you know these This hot head officer goes over and just he escalates it. He helps it turn into something that it did not need to be. And that's not to say Tyreek Hill is justified in going above the speed limit, because he's not. And I don't think giver claimed to be. He said, hey, here's my license and insurance, give me my give me my citation. Do what you got to do. And they didn't like his attitude. And should you be respectful and courteous to police officers, Absolutely, but you don't. You don't have to. You're not breaking the law. You're not and I think you should be respectful and kind to any human until they've maybe treated you a different way. Civilians officers like you should always be kind and respectful, but you don't have to. You're not like you should. But you know you're not breaking a law, and this is just a bad look once again where I choose to believe that the majority of those the majority of those that you know serve and protect, don't act like this. But you now have too high profile people being cited, slash arrested, and it's national news. It's seen billions of times where you know, if you if you are some that wants police officers to get the benefited out, which I still give them the benefit of it out in most instances, but these are situations that arise to where you're like, well, gosh, you know, what if it wasn't somebody that is a celebrity, What if it isn't somebody you know, I'm not as sympathetic towards Tyreek Hill as a human being because I don't you know, he's no choir boy, But like with Scotty Scheffler, he seems to be legitiarately like the nicest guy ever, and he seemed even more like, I mean, it seemed more genuine that he's a very nice guy when you heard how he reacted in the way he talked to law enforcement during his situation. So what gets me is that I knew we'd eventually get the body cam footage, and I didn't know what was going to be in it. Right, maybe Tyreek Hill, you know, maybe you know, there's a chance maybe he could have lied and said he did try to use his status to get out of him. Maybe he was an absolute jerk. I don't think him, you know, not rolling down the window exactly at the time he told him to, is you know, something that makes him a jerk. But either way, like I just knew regardless, you know, this was predictable. That's the best I'm giving you word vomit here, But it was very predictable that nobody really needed to see it. They claimed they wanted to see it, but they knew how they were going to react regardless. Because those who you know, you know, just assume that anybody who ever questions law enforcement in any way or doesn't you know, again, I know you've probably heard this term before, but like boot lickers, people who just you know, assume a cop can never do anything wrong and we should just you know, we're not entitled to our rights and that kind of stuff like And again I I I watched the video, I came to my own opinion, and I shared that with you. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind, but I just hate that there's so many out there that don't think of themselves. They think, in fact, they don't think. They just know which side they're going to be on. They're going to be law enforcement side because they're you know, that's that's that's the way their political party would would would would indicate that they lean. And then there's those that just assume that every CoP's a tyrant and that any cop who's just trying to do his job, you know, they're they're abusing their power. Like nobody thinks for themselves anymore. We are so divided that your opinion was already made up before you watch this video. You may not even have known it, but but but it was. You were gonna take from that that the officer was in the right and Tyreek Hill was in the wrong. And then there's others that clearly we're gonna watch it and and say well, this officer's way out of line. Again, I don't care your opinion. To be honest with you, I don't, and I'm sure you don't care about mine. But this is a big story, so I'm sharing it. I'm not trying to divide anybody. But that's my takeaway from this is very similar to the Scotti Schffler situation, even though the situations aren't exactly identical. It is that while we all waited to see if there was gonna be body came or whatever it was, you were gonna find what you needed to find to justify the way you believe you're supposed to think because that's who your politic that that's where your political affiliation leans, that's that's that's and I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like it used to be that way.
Speaker 2: I feel like people used to clearly be very proud and transparent about which side of the aisle they were on and what they supported what they didn't. But I feel like people used to think for themselves and not and not be like a prerequisite that you know, because I know that the vast majority of the left's going to go this way, this is what I'm gonna have to go and then if the vast majority of the right's gonna clearly claim that it's all Tyreek Hill's fault, that he's a criminal, and you know, the police did their job and he should go to jail because he didn't listen to the officer and bow to him and roll his window down and tell him that he loves him. Like that's just the way some people were gonna lean.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I think a misconception on this platform, whether it be sports talk radio or just talk radio in general. I don't care what your opinion is. That's not to say I don't value it. It's not to say that you're not entitled to it. But like I'm not here to change anybody's mind. I'm not here to tell you that if you think about it this way, then you're way wrong and you're an idiot. Or if you think about it this way, you're way wrong and you're an idiot. Like if you disagree with me and you think it's you literally see it the exact opposite, then that's fine. Like we can have those different opinions and it not have any impact the way I view you or the way you think. I just wish people would think for themselves and not be so predictable when it comes to this kind of stuff. That's my overall takeaway from it. As I'm sure that's why you guys tuned in today to hear me talk about if the police handled the Tyreek Hill situation correctly. And I hope you can send some sarcasm there because it's it's there all right, quick break will come back on the other side, Keep it rolling along, get back to the text line. It's coffee and company. Feel bout Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety so. I mentioned earlier because I'm sure a lot of you care about my sports wagering. But last night, with the Niners covering three and a half as favorites, that helped me cash a parlay with the NFL, which I may not get another one this year. I'm so bad at betting on the NFL, so the fact that I got a three leg parlay to hit it makes me, you know, makes me happy. But this is the first time that I felt really, really, really confident about a bet, John, like really.
Speaker 3: Confident, and you're feeling good about it.
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean now, like not even this one so maybe like I felt this way bef for the parlay cash last night, but now feeling even more confident because you know, I gotta win. You know, some success can lead to you feeling pretty good. But Texas State money line against Arizona State on Thursday night at seven thirty, I feel, I mean, it's almost like I'm so confident in it. I'm starting the second guest because I'm like, there's no way this is that easy. Because I've been big on Texas Texas State for a while because they were one of twelve teams that in one of the metrics that I really trust, that was favored in eleven of their twelve games, and so far they're off to a really really good start, and I just think they're better than Arizona State. And I know Arizona State beat Mississippi State, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. So Arizona State has a twenty three to thirty win against Mississippi State and a seven to forty eight win against Wyoming Texas State. They beat Lamar in a closer game than what was expected, and then beat the hell out of UTSA, which their their head coach at Texas State came from UTSA was an assistant and he just beat his former boss forty nine to ten. But I love this play I do. I think.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Texas State, if you remember, I mean, they're probably not gonna get be there. They have no chance of making you know, the actual playoff, but like they're who knows how good they're going to be and when it's all said and done, But their schedules set up really really nice, and I would, I mean, you know that they've circled this game as a huge opportunity for them, given the fact that you know, they they rarely ever get to play power five teams, power four teams, and now they're hosting them. This is This is at Bobcat Jim Wacker Field at Bobcats Stadium, Missisi Field. I'm looking here at that. I'm such a child. Yes, you think you think that the Arizona State Sundals are going to go into Jim Wacker Field and leave with a victory. I don't think so. Jim Whacker real name Jim Wacker. Sorry, such a child. He was a head coach at Texas State many many years ago, which is why you know the field is named after him. But right now it is Arizona State minus two. The sports line the sports line projection here, which I don't usually follow their projected score based off their formula, but it is thirty to twenty five with the Texas State winning. And right now, when it comes to money line, and I'm sure it's because of value here, but right now, when it comes to money line wagers, ninety seven percent of the money is on Arizona State. So I'm going against the public here. And when it comes to just the spread again, right now it is Texas State plus one and a half depending on where you look. I think right now DraftKings has Texas State plus two. But I'm going to take a money line and I feel good about it. But when it comes to that that wager, just the spread, eighty six percent of the money is on Arizona State to cover and win, you know, meaning they win and cover the one and a half. And then as far as just the amount of betters, not money, but just the wagers, seventy seven percent of the of the bets have come in in favor of Arizona State. So I'm going against everybody else, but I still feel good about it. Again, Arizona State. They're coming off an SEC victory, but I think it's fool's gold. I think Mississippi State is that bad. I think they may actually be the worst team in the SEC this year, including Vandy and Texas State. This is an opportunity. I mean, this is gonna be a real environment.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: You don't go into Jim Wacker Field at Bobcats Stadium in San Marcos, Texas and walk out with a victory, you hear me, John, Doesn't happen like that.
Speaker 1: I tell you what.
Speaker 3: I know, we're saying that tongue in cheek. But like any football stadium in Texas, whether it's high school, college, whatever, maybe they're gonna be rowdy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they have a good following, I mean for who they are. I mean, I feel like.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm making this up in my head. Did they not get an upset last year against a Power five opponent? And there may be no way to know that off the top of our heads.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I'm gonna believe that they did just because you said that. I mean, why not, exactly?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: I mean, how the hell did Arizona State schedule this game?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: Like, I'm so sick of Power.
Speaker 2: By the way, do you know who the quarterback is at Texas State? No?
Speaker 3: Is it somebody we should be familiar with?
Speaker 2: Signette's former Yeah, okay, yeah, he came. He transferred there, and he's he was good at James Madison. He's good there and seems like.
Speaker 3: A lateral move. I thought he would have moved up to the Power. He was Sun Belt Player of the Year last year.
Speaker 2: A lot of people thought he was going to go to Indiana.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so last year, let's yeah, they did.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 2: They beat Baylor last year. Okay, and the quarterback who was at Texas State randomly, he was at Texas State last year and he transferred out and went to Western Kentucky. That's the TJ. Finley kid, who's the starting quarterback there at the WKU. So yeah, I mean last year this team was eight and five overall. They had wins against Baylor, they beat Nevada, which I guess isn't you know, acclaim to fame. But this year this is I mean, more than anything, this is just a tough spot for Arizona State. Yes, they're coming off a win that you give them some confidence, but Texas State hosting a Big twelve team is probably I mean, when's the last time you think that's happened.
Speaker 3: Ever, maybe it's like Ultimate didn't like app State hosting teams like that or KU hosting Indiana. That stuff shouldn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's good for those smaller schools that get to do that, but like, you're stupid. If you're a power school and you do that, you do gain nothing. It's charity, I mean, it's all it is. All right, quick break, We got the five o'clock hour coming your way. A lot to get into, including we're getting away tickets to see Brooks and Done at five thirty, So stick around. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety