Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty Wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy King. Well we got another day. It's day four of the fires and still an incredibly active situation. If you've if you've been listening to Neil Savedre, he's been keeping up to date. We're gonna get you the latest and dig a little deeper into some of the stories. Boy, there's a lot going on, and the numbers just keep going up, and I think we can expect them to continue to go up. I came out to my car this morning and there was snow on my car. Okay, it wasn't snow, it was ash. But have you noticed that, even though I am miles away from the fire's air quality is not good and you can feel it when you're outside. It smells like smoking. I even when I went to take my nap yesterday, I was like, my house smells like a fire. It was crazy. Also, I had a trailer parked across the street this morning, a horse trailer. Not just a regular trailer, but a horse trailer. So I'm guessing that there is somebody who's been evacuated and is now staying in my neighborhood. So glad that they were able to get away. Also driving in this morning if you get a chance. The moon was very low in the sky when I came in at like three point thirty, so I'm not sure where it is if it was ascending in the sky or descending in the sky, but it was this eerie, beautiful, weird moon. It was yellowish and it's still it felt like Halloween, you know, like that kind of darkness, still beautiful. And that's what's so weird about the fires is like you look at the sun and you can look at the sun and it's red because of the smoke, and it's this very eerie feeling in a weird, beautiful way, you know. So anyway you are going to get through it. We hope that all of you are safe. And if you got an alert that there was a new fire, because an alert went out about an hour ago that was not correct, and hopefully you've received your correction. I know we got one yesterday at just before four o'clock and it went out to all of La County. It was a mistake. They accidentally did it. It should have only been for the fire. That's burning up in near Calabasas. It's called the Kenneth Fire. It broke out yesterday afternoon. So anyway, some people this morning got a very rude awakening. I'm sure because right about four o'clock we had heard Hollywood Silver Lake Producer and got the alert for the Tapanga area. But that too was a mistake. There are no new fires burning at this time, which is good news considering everything that's going on. Let's get into it. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. The newest fire whipped by the winds in southern California has burned one thousand acres. That's the one near Calabasas. The Kenneth fire started around three yesterday afternoon and burned very close to neighborhoods. Water dropping helicopters came to the rescue again in fixed wing planes. We're able to keep the flames away from homes in the West Hills neighborhood. Forward progress has been stopped. It is now thirty five percent surrounded. One person has been arrested for suspected arson in connection with that fire in Calabasas. The number of homes, restaurants, churches, schools, and other businesses that have been burned in the wildfires is up over ten thousand now. Fire officials announced fifty three hundred buildings have burned in the Palisades fire, and four to five thousand have burned in the fire in Altadena. At least ten people were killed in the fires that continue to burn out of control. We're going to be talking more about the fires with ABC's Melissa a don to get the latest in just a couple of minutes, probably about three or four minutes from now. Let's look in to more stories about the fires. Hundreds of members of the Californian National Guard have arrived in the LA area to help law enforcement in the fire zones. Sheriff Luna said yesterday that roughly four hundred members of the Guard would be stationed around the region to help with traffic control and to restrict entry into burn areas. The sheriff also announced that twenty people have been arrested for looting in fire.
Speaker 3: Areas, absolutely unacceptable.
Speaker 2: The DA has promised looters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. All schools in the La School District are closed again today because of the fires. Officials say fire wind and spoke have created unpredictable, complex situations that present potentially unsafe conditions. Superintendent Alberto Carvallo says schools will have to be cleaned up and air filters replaced before kids can go back. The districts can have some sites open today to provide meals and childcare. Schools in surrounding areas will also be closed today, including in Glendale, Burbank, Lacayada, Pasadena, South Passage, Arcadia, and Monrovia. All schools in the Santa Monica Malibu School District are also closed. Some families in Altadna have been surprised to find their homes are still standing.
Speaker 4: The city has lost blocks of houses and businesses, but the fire in some polas seem to pick houses at random, erasing some, leaving others alone. James Coggin says he fled when the evacuation order came and didn't think he'd see his house again.
Speaker 2: So then when I left to go out to rialto with my daughter, I felt like, well, that's that's the end of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it started setting in that that we lost everything.
Speaker 4: So but the house still stands thanks to the effort of neighbors who used any liquid at their disposal to keep the flames at bay. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to hear a good news story in the midst of all this devastation. Say good morning to ABC's Melissa Adon. Melissa, another fire broke out yesterday afternoon about three. What can you tell us about it?
Speaker 5: Yes, Amy, So that was the Kenneth fire that broke out yesterday afternoon in the Los Angeles Vntura County border of Hidden Hills, that's just north of Calabasas. At this point, that one's burned nine hundred and sixty acres. However, it is thirty five percent contained and the evacuation warnings there have been lifted. However, a possible arson suspect was detained by police in connection to the Kenneth fire. Police said this was after a witness called in stating a suspect was attempting to light a fire in the area of the Kenneth fire. Well, that suspect is in custody. Police are investigating, but at this point they cannot confirm any connection to any fire. So of course this is something that we are monitoring.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then what about the other fires we've got the Palisades Fire, and the numbers have gone up, skyrocketed dramatically.
Speaker 5: Amy it's astronomical. So, of course, the two major wildfires that we're watching closely are the Palisades Fire that's burning in Pacific Palisades in Malibu. It's destroyed more than nineteen thousand acres. While that's six percent contained, we're looking at more than five thousand structures that have burned. We're talking about homes, businesses, schools, places of worship. In the Pacific pala Safes, communities are unrecognizable. I mean, there was a family that was talking about how they lost their home, their child's lost their elementary school. That family what lost the grocery store they go to, the businesses that they go, the church nearby, their community is gone. This has made this the third most destructive fire in our state's history. Meantime, then of course we're watching the other major fire they eat in fire that's still a zero percent contained over an Altadena and Pasadena. Well, it's for more than thirteen thousand acres and it has destroyed more than four thousand structures. So when you look at the expansiveness of this, you know nearly ten thousand homes, businesses gone, really all across Los Angeles County. It is just remarkable all of this. Of course, as now the Los Angeles County Medical Examiners reporting at least ten fire related debts. We do know that there are cadaver dogs going with crews home by home through the rubble trying to see if they find any other human remains. And then of course the investigation into each of these people's lives that were lost are ongoing as they notify their relatives and family and just try to understand how they perished in these devastating wildfires.
Speaker 2: Melissa, do we have any idea how many people are missing?
Speaker 5: That's a good question. As far as the missing, that was a big issue that we experienced last year when I was on the ground in Maui covering the Lina wildfires. Of that here, this has not been necessarily a reported issue of people missing that we're seeing in grand numbers like that, So at that point that's something that we're waiting for more details from Los Angeles County officials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you had mentioned the two biggest fires they eat in fire and the Palace Saves Fire, And we've been talking over the last few days about how we've had fires in southern California before and you kind of feel like, well, it's just a fire, it's not affecting everyone. This one is so different. I mean, if you look at it, if you live in Los Angeles, you've got the fire to the west, in Palisades, you've got the fire to the east, they eaten fire. And now yesterday you've got the fire to the north, the one in Calabasas. And then also hitting closer to home just Wednesday night was the Hollywood Hills fire. Even if you're miles and miles away from the fires, they feel like they're all around.
Speaker 5: Absolutely amy. The air quality is impacted. We see it, the smoke, the winds that we all experience, and now we're all on edge for right because we're also going to experience some of that wind threat. We're still under a red flag warning all throughout southern California that goes on through tonight, and then we have issues coming next week of more sant Anna winds returning. Everyone is on edge and everyone's impacted. And you know the thing is to us news reporters, we live here, we have family, we have friends that are impacted. I have a friend of mine. While she doesn't live in Pacific Palisades and her home is fine, she's a teacher at a private school and Pacific Palisades and their schools burned to the ground. Yes, and now she has made no place to work. How about the students that she teaches? Where are they going to go to school? How are they going to reconvene? I mean, these are so many issues and questions that we have looking forward.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the effects are so far reaching, and we as you mentioned, we've got lots of questions. Hopefully we'll get answers in the coming days, but right now, priority one, get those fires out. Melissa and Don, ABC News, thank you so much, appreciate the information this morning.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Thanks Am.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. At least two people have been killed in the fire and Pacific Palisades. One body was removed yesterday from the rubble of a home near Duke's Restaurant on pch La. County. Sheriff's officials told reporters that deputies had received a missing person report that led them to do a welfare check at the burned out home. The fire has burned nearly twenty thousand acres since Tuesday. It's just six percent surrounded, as we were just telling you, and thousands of people remain under evacuation orders. An aerial survey found about fifty three hundred homes and other buildings have been destroyed in the fire. A woman who lives in the Palisades fire areas confronted Governor Newsom over the response to the fire, Governor, I.
Speaker 6: Live here, Governor, that was my daughter's school, Governor.
Speaker 2: The conversation this week outside a burned out school aired live on Sky News. Newsom told Rachel Darvish that he was talking with President Biden about what could be done to rebuild.
Speaker 3: Can I hear your call? Because I don't believe it.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, Can I There's literally I've tried five times.
Speaker 8: That's why I'm walking around to make.
Speaker 3: Im a president not taking your call because it's not going through.
Speaker 2: Newsom has been criticized by some of this by some for the state's wildfire response, wh President Biden has told officials in California to spare no expense, as he put it, when it comes to the fires, and pledged to cover one hundred percent of the cost for the next one hundred and eighty days. We're actually going to be talking with Karen Travers with ABC more about that coming out at about five point fifty. Images of the Hollywood Signs surrounded by fire have gone viral online, but kaf's Daniel Martindale says they're fake.
Speaker 9: The chairman of the Hollywood Sign Trust tells Forbes magazine the images and videos are likely AI generated. The Sunset fire burned in the Hollywood Hills on Wednesday night, but did not threaten the Hollywood Sign.
Speaker 2: The fire did impact the lights that illuminate the sign, affecting its visibility. The Rams playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings has been moved from SOFI Stadium in Inglewood to State Farms Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, because of the fires. The NFL says the decision was made in consultation with public officials, the participating clubs, and the National Football League's player association. The playoff game will air at five pm Monday on ESPN, ABC, ESPN Plus and ESPN Deports. Is that right? Is there a thing called ESPN Deports or maybe that's the Spanish deportees I guess that's probably what is. Yeah, I'm so multicultural, right, Okay. When we were talking with Melissa, she was talking about how people are on edge, and rightfully so, because it does feel like the fires are burning all around us. And it didn't help when we got that evacuation warning yesterday afternoon. It was sent out to all of La County. It was supposed to just go out to Calabasas for the fire that was burning, the Kenneth fire that burned about a thousand acres. But I got my first evacuation order. I don't know if that was your first experience with it. It's like the quake alert or an amber alert. Just it's very loud and very jarring. You can't turn the noise off on your phone. And immediately I went, oh, my gosh, there's a fire in my neighborhood now, and guessing that you might have done the same thing, and I went and I ran outside and started looking around for a plume of smoke. Well, as it turns out, it was a mistake. County officials put out another notification about twenty minutes later, saying that it was needed to be disregarded, that it was mistakenly sent out to everyone in La County. You know that moment of panic though, when you run outside and you look around and think, Okay, that go bag that I just put together the day before, I got to use it. I got to go grab the pets, I got to grab my documents, I got to grab my emergency gear and a change of clothes. I guess, and get out that and I'm like, in for us, for you know, ten million of us. That was just a drill, basically, But think about the people who are actually in the evacuation zones and how that reality. It's a tough one and it's I don't envy anybody who's actually living through that. It's scary and it's affecting so many, Like we were talking about and you heard Nil Savager talking with it to Walla Sharp is evacuated, Shannon Farron is evacuated from her home. It's very, very scary. Also a side note, because you know, I have pets, and one of my cats, Alex, is the total scaredy cat. He did not like that. He did not like that notification, and his eyes got really big. He looked at me and then he ran into the closet. I didn't see him for a couple hours, and then there's the other cat who was unflappable. Shelby looked up, looked around, and then curled up and went right back to sleep. That's why Alex has a harness on because if anything happens, I'm gonna have to go dig him out of the back of the closet, and Shelby, I'm sure would just follow me down the street. Okay, when we come back, we're gonna talk more about the fires, give you the latest numbers. Also, you know what, it's time to help and we can help. We got ways to do that, and we're going to tell you all about it. That's coming up next on wake Up Call.
Speaker 3: Good More.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy King. Thanks for getting your day started with us. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The fire in Pacific Palisades has burned nearly twenty thousand acres and is six percent surrounded. At last count, three hundred and sixteen structures have burned, a lot of them houses and businesses. Mandatory evacuation orders remain in effect in Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Santa Monica, and Topanga Nearly four hundred thousand people in southern California are under evacuation orders or warnings as the wildfires continue to burn. At least ten people have been killed in the Fire's officials say they could find more bodies once they get into the burned out neighborhoods to sift through the ashes and rubble. Four hundred National Guard members have arrived to assist with firefighting efforts. It's not just people running away from the flames. A mountain lion and two small clubs cubs were spotted overnight Wednesday running across Topanga Canyon Boulevard, away from where the Palisades fire has destroyed all those homes and businesses. I was telling you about my cats and their experience and how Alex freaked out when he heard the UH the alert yesterday. But Anne producer, An was watching one of the channels, the news channels, and UH as the Kenneth fire was taking hold yesterday afternoon and has my favorite story of the day. So Anne, go ahead and uh what what was the story that you were watching?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I was watching the news yesterday because I lived close to the Kenneth fire.
Speaker 2: So did you get an evacuate, a real evacuation warning.
Speaker 6: Not a warning, Yes, correct, okay'd get a warning, all right. So, uh, turn on the news, watching the news, and I I uh, they were reporting from Las Virgenes, where everything was shut down and there was nobody being allowed to enter that area because they were starting to all the firefighters were coming in to you know, and.
Speaker 2: Those fire those flames got close.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it was so crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So they were interviewing and these people who are just frantic. They were they had just you know, left their works and went there parked. And this young girl, she was probably nineteen or twenty. They interviewed her and she was panicked about our cat because my cat is in there. I just want to get my cat. They keep telling me they'll escort me in, but they haven't yet, and I'm you know, she's completely freaked out. She was with her nine year old little sister and they just wanted to go get their cat. So I don't know, I just felt for them. It was like everybody else, you just feel awful for these people.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, especially because like we've talked about over the last few days, what about I mean, are people leaving their pets behind. But like in that instance, they weren't at home when the fire started, so they tried to get home to get the cat and couldn't get in.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know what I would do. I would panic.
Speaker 6: So so an hour later, So anyway, that was that report. An hour later, I went to Ralph's and I'm standing in line and this young girl walks by and she's holding a cat and I look and it's.
Speaker 3: The same girl with her little sister. And I'm like, oh my god, you got your cat. And she turned around and she goes, yeah, we got our cat.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, oh my god, I'm awesome. So that was really it was so random, but it was very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we got to look for the bright spots because there's so much devastation, and to hear a little bit of joy and happiness I think is really important.
Speaker 3: It was interesting because she didn't have a carrier or anything.
Speaker 6: She was just holding onto this cat who was just going rare ram ram, you know.
Speaker 2: Just again, this is why my cat is walking around the house with a harness on these days. Yeah, he's not happy about it, but I got it. He would be the one who would be scratching and freaking out and then trying to get out of my arms. Yeah. So anyway, thank you for sharing that, and I love you. Okay. So here's something else to make you feel a little bit better. If you're wondering how you can help with all of this, well that's where we enter iHeartMedia Los Angeles and the Dream Center Los Angeles. We've teamed up and are taking donations because, as you know, the devastation is unthinkable. More than ten thousand structures, a lot of them are homes, have been destroyed, and that leaves people with nothing. I was watching on the news last night a woman standing in sweats and she says, this is it. This is all I got. I mean like she didn't grab anything. And another guy who was being interviewed, and he said, you know, you think you're going to have time when you get an evacuation order, but he said, I didn't have time. He said, I grabbed this, I grabbed that, and out I went, he said, and everything's you know, he doesn't know if everything's gone because he hasn't been allowed to go back to get his to get a look at what may or may not be his home anymore. But here's how you can help. You can donate non perishable food items, bottled water, sports drinks, hygiene products. I mean, I saw a lady taking diapers in and I was like, oh my gosh. I didn't even think about all of these things that are just basic necessities that people who've lost their homes that just completely wiped out. Of course, clothing and blankets for the families, baby supplies, air purifiers, masks, got any of your COVID nineteen masks left? Dig those out, flashlights, batteries, portable phone chargers. Think about if you didn't have power and you didn't have you know, you left your chargers behind. And that's how you stay in touch with the world. First aid kits, medical supplies. Of course, we've talked about the pets several times. I'd love the fur babies, pet food and supplies they need that. We need cleaning supplies, and here is where you can drop them off. You can donate supplies at the Dream Center, which is at twenty three to zero one Bellevue Avenue, Los Angeles, nine zero zero two six. Again, it's two three zero one Bellevue Avenue, Los Angeles, nine zero zero two six. It's called the Dreams Center, Los Angeles if you want to Google it too, if you didn't write that down, and you can also make monetary contributions. Of course they'll go and buy all that stuff for you. Financial donations help them keep those relief efforts going, and you can go to Dreamscenter dot org slash donate to give today. We can help do our part and help out our fellow Angelina's just say I have my California sweatshirt on today because I'm like feeling California strong and it's cool to see people coming together. Unfortunately, it takes crisis and devastation to do it, but you know, if you can help, please do and we'll get through this. Overnight. Curfus remain in place until six AM around the two largest fires burning in southern California. La County Sheriff Robert Luna says at least twenty people have been arrested for looting in the burn areas and they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Officials have announced that more than fifty three home the fifty three hundred homes and buildings have burned in the Palisades fire, and four to five thousand homes were destroyed in the Eaton Canyon fire in Altaden. Its homes, businesses, churches, schools, you name it. Ten people have died in the fires so far. That number could go higher. OSCAR nominations have been pushed back because of the wildfires. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says it's being done out of a consideration for the many voters who are being impacted by the wildfires. Nearly two thirds of the academy voters live in and around the LA area. If I have fifty, President Biden says, California, we got your back. ABC's Karen Travers is going to join us to tell us what the government is planning to do to help Californians affected by the wildfires. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI. It's our house, whispered Dean Sharp. Dean, good morning, Good morning Amy. So today we were going to talk about glue or something, but I think we need to talk about these fires. And we've talked about wildfire preparation before. It's obviously top of mind for anybody as the threat of wildfire coming into your neighborhood is incredibly high right now because of the weather conditions and the fires that are still burning. So let's talk about now what you can do to protect your house, and then we'll look into the future a little bit about what we can do to be ready for the next one.
Speaker 7: Well, right now, right now, move everything away from your house, everything that is flammable. People have too many things tucked up underneath the eaves of their home. They've got patio furniture underneath patio covers. If you, in any way, shape or form, feel like your house could potentially be in a threat zone, you need to move that stuff as far away from the house as possible. It is shocking how many houses catch on fire from other house fires and other area wildfires simply because cause things sitting out in the yard are too close to the house. So that's got to be rule number one right now, getting things away from the house. The second thing is if there's time, and you know, this is a situation where it's like I don't know, I don't you know. It depends on how fast it comes. We've talked about it before. You and I getting yourself a supply of a fire gel, which is a barrier of foam that can be placed on your home before you have to evacuate. That can do a tremendous, tremendous amount of benefit towards keeping your home safe while you are gone. Barricade is the brand that I've recommended to people over and over again. If you go to firegel dot com right now, I think you'll find on their landing page that they are actually saying, hey, if you are a Southern California resident and you want expedited shipping to get Firejaeil for your home, They're directing you to a particular supplier, West Coast supplier who is ready and able to get that to you. So that's the kind of pre evacuation stuff that I recommend for everybody and anybody who lives in any wildfire area in southern California. And then long term will be you know, things we've talked about before, addressing vents into the attic right now, don't try to order new vents and try and change them out. Literally, if a fire is on its way towards you, then the best thing you can do is just close up your vents, tape your vents. And you're thinking, well, tape is not going to keep flames from getting into my attic. That's true, It's absolutely true. If the fire line actually approaches the house, that's a whole different ballgame. But over eighty percent of the houses that catch fire as a result of a wildfire or fires happening in the area start they start. The flare ups start by absorbing embers into spaces like the attic.
Speaker 2: And this fire had embers galore. The pictures of the embers just sailing through the neighborhoods, being swept across streets. It looked like a sandstorm that was illuminated.
Speaker 7: That is just the nature of it. And that is how you know one neighborhood is burning and all of a sudden, four blocks away something has started. People are shrugging their shoulder like, how does this happen? It is embers. And so if you're in an evacuation zone or you're about to be tape up, close up, board up the vents going into your attic.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to ask you about that, Dean, because you're saying do this, how long does that take? Do people know where these vents are? And if you don't, maybe it's a good time to learn where they are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for a lot of typical single story ranch houses, you'll find like if there's a gable end, meaning there's a big triangle on the end of your roof on either into your house, you should have a big vent right there. And then look underneath your eveline for smaller holes about two inches in diameter along the block line at the top of your wall. And how long does it take, Well, you know it's going to take an hour or two. You get a big roll of duct tape or whatever and get out there.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 7: Our point is this, we're not trying to stop flames from getting in. We're just keeping little embers from blowing into your attic, and the tape can get that done.
Speaker 2: Okay, how long I say you are in an area so like even in the Kenneth fire area in Calabasas, where that came up so quickly and evacuation orders went out within in half an hour, so it questionable whether you could have gotten it done. But maybe you could have gotten something done before the evacuation order came along. But if you think that, maybe you're in an area that's really kind of in danger of that, because like that area of calt vasis apparently they've had wildfires go through the area before, it's not new for them. How long can you leave the tape up there? Like, could we have people go and block those vents and leave it up for four or five days? Or do you oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, absolutely, you know you could leave the tape on for for days and days and days. It's not a problem. It's not going to damage the inside of your house.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't leave it on permanently, but you can do it now through the fire danger exactly.
Speaker 8: It is not.
Speaker 7: It's not something we should keep on because our addicts need to be ventilated when it's safe outside. But no, put it on and leave it and walk away for two weeks. It does not matter. What matters is that we block any possibility of your house burning death.
Speaker 2: We love that. Okay, So are you going to be talking about fire prevention on your show tomorrow or are you going to be talking about other things.
Speaker 7: We're going to be talking. We're going to be covering the fires throughout the weekend, and just like we've been here on KFI throughout the week and I'll be taking calls, giving out advice. We'll be talking about what you do if your house has burnt to the ground. That's going to be one of the big questions that a lot of people have. Where do we start, what's going to happen next? We'll be discussing it all all weekend long.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, And that's a Home with Dean Sharp. You can hear it this weekend right here on KFI Saturday from six to eight am, and then Sunday from nine am to noon. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean. Thank you so much. Your information always good, particularly invaluable today. Appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thanks Sam Talks.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Fire crews say forward progress of the one thousand acre fire burning your homes in Calabasas and West Hills has been stopped. Water dropping helicopters were used yesterday to help save hillside homes near the one to one Freeway. That fire is now thirty five percent surrounded. A guy who may have started the fires been detained. He was caught by people in Woodland Hills and held for police. Kfi's Deborah Mark, who lives in the area, says she got a text from a neighbor.
Speaker 8: And said that police arrested a guy who was seen in our neighborhood. So we're up in the hills in in Woodland Hills with a torch trying to light brush around people's houses.
Speaker 2: Images show the guy had what looked like a butane type torch. A water dropping plane has been hit by a drone over the Palisades Fire.
Speaker 4: The Super Scooper was rendered temporarily inoperable after the drone put a hole in its wing Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 2: The plane landed safely and no one was injured. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says the FAA is investigating the collision. The La County Fire chief says the FBI will be using so called aerial armor in the area, which is designed to keep drones out of the fire zone. Democrats have voted with Republicans to advance the Lake and Riley Act that would require federal authorities to detain illegal immigrants who've been accused of certain crimes. Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and most other Democrats voted to move forward with the legislation. It's already passed in the House. The Supreme Court is allowing President elect Trump's sentencing in New York in a hush money case to go forward. The Court rejected Trump's request yesterday to block the proceeding. Trump criticized the decision, Well.
Speaker 6: They called for an appeal, and as you know, they acknowledge what the judge said about no penalty, and there is really there's no penalty.
Speaker 3: But we're going to appeal anyway.
Speaker 4: Just psychologically, because frankly, it's a disgrace.
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court vote was five to four. The sentencing hearing is scheduled for today. Trump's inauguration is set for January twentieth. Forward progress of the Kenneth fire, burning near homes in Calabasas and West Hills, has been stopped. The fire has burned one thousand acres and is thirty five percent surrounded. The fire burning in all Sadena is destroyed between four and five thousand homes and businesses. The fires burned nearly fourteen thousand acres. It was moving toward Mount Wilson yesterday, but officials say the rate of growth has slowed significantly. The Chargers Wildcard playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings that was supposed to happen tomorrow at SOFI Stadium has been moved to State Farm Stadium in Arizona. The game will now be played on Monday night because of the wildfires. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, President Biden and his administration have said to California, We've got your back.
Speaker 10: Yeah. The President yesterday announced that the federal government is going to cover one hundred percent of the cost of a disaster response to these fires for one hundred and eighty days. He says that that will pay for things like debris and hazardous material removal, temporary shelters, first responder salaries, and that he put it all necessary measures to protect life and property. He said he has told the governor and local officials fair, no ex do what you need to do to contain the fires, and the administration will be there to support them. You know, we saw something similar after hurricanes Julleen and Milton, where the federal government covered one hundred percent of the cost in the immediate impact of that for about four months. So this isn't unprecedented, but it's a big boost then for the state and local governments to know that these things will be taken care of because the cause are going to be astronomical. The President was asked yesterday a sense of the cost, and he said new And if anybody tells you they know a number, they don't know what they're talking about. He said, it's going to be big, big.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, Karen, you you said that that the government was going to pay for one hundred percent of the cost for the disaster response. So and that is just for fighting the fire, making sure people are safe, that kind of thing. Is it also going to be including rebuilding?
Speaker 10: You know that will have to come next. And like I said, this is what this is for right now. This is for the immediate response to the disaster. Obviously there are insurance issues, they are rebuilding issues, and that will come next. Congress is going to have to approve more federal funding to cover a lot of this, because you know, we saw them do that at the end of last year with that big government funding bill to avert the shutdown. There was about one hundred billion dollars in there for disaster relief, and much of it went to the Southeastern states because of Helene and Milton just still dealing with the fallout from that. So I think you can expect that that will happen again this time. Now it'll be different because it'll be the Trump administration doing it, so they'll be in power when this comes up. The government is funded through March fourteenth, so look for, you know, as we get closer to that date, this conversation becoming part of that bigger conversation about funding the government.
Speaker 2: And I remember with hurricanes Helene and Milton that there was a lot of back and forth about we need to approve funding now, approve funding now. And I think at that time I remember how Speaker Johnson saying, we don't need to approve it now, we need to wait and see how much it's going to cost. Is it going to be that same sort of a scenario.
Speaker 10: Perhaps, you know, I think it depends on what the immediate needs are. FIMA had about twenty nine billion dollars put into the Disaster Relief Fund at the end of last year for immediate needs for disasters. You can see that running out pretty quickly given the scope of this one. There was also the Major Disaster Declaration that the President authorized the other day, which helps people get immediate funds, you know, to help them with what they need right now, just the basic supplies that they need. But like this is just when you look at what the numbers are going to cost, there're certainly going to be needed funding to come from Congress.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Okay, ABC's Karen Travers, thank you so much for the update. We're glad that Biden has our back.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. People in La County are being urged to stay indoors as much as possible because of the smoke from the fires.
Speaker 9: Official'll say if people must be outside, they should wear a P one hundred respirator or properly fitting N ninety five mask. Air quality levels remain in the unhealthy to hazardous range across the region.
Speaker 2: Kyf i's Daniel Martindale says a wildfire smoke advisory is going to be in place through at least tonight. The smokes expected to most heavily affect northwest coastal La County and an areas close to the fires in Palisades, Altadena, and Silmar. Nearly ten million people in the LA area have been on edge following an accidental text message calling for evacuations.
Speaker 11: That evacuation order was supposed to only go to residents living in the West Hills community. However, the Office of Emergency Management for La County sent it to basically everyone. It appears that happened in the Emergency Operations Center for the office.
Speaker 7: Who actually do the function of through a technological system, a software system, issuing that there was an error within that system.
Speaker 11: OEM director for La County, Kevin McGowan says that his office quickly corrected the issue, but they're still investigating how or why was sent out to so many. Andrew Caravella KFI.
Speaker 2: News mcgawan did say sending the message county wide was not human error. The Biden administration has succeeded in temporarily blocking a plea deal for accused nine eleven mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed that would keep him from getting the death penalty for his role in the nine to eleven terrorist attacks. The Supreme Court is set to hear arguments over the fate of TikTok. A law signed by President Biden would force TikTok's sale by its Chinese parent company, a group that includes billionaire entrepreneur and former La Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and Shark Tank famous investor Kevin O'Leary is looking to buy the video app. The group made a formal offer yesterday. The Supreme Court case is being heard today. TikTok says it plans to shut down its social media platform in the US by January nineteenth if the law is not struck down. Nominations have been announced for the twenty twenty five Screen Actors Guild Awards. Because of the fires, there wasn't a live ceremony to find out who's up for the Actor awards. Wicked got five nominations, a complete unknown, Amelia Perez and Anora We're pretty close behind. Demi Moore, Pamela Anderson and Cynthia Arriva are among those nominated for Lead Female. Timothy Shalomey and Adrian Brody are among those nominated for Best Lead Actor. Showgun, the Bear and The Diplomat are leading. On the TV side. The ceremony will stream live on Netflix February twenty third. Kristen Bell is the host. I don't know about you, but I have been absolutely glued to either KFI or also to TV stations since these fires started, and I usually don't watch network news at night. I'll watch local news, or I'll watch CNN and Fox kind of see what's going on with them. I usually don't watch the regular network news. Don't know why, but I don't. Well, last night I was watching and David Mirrors on right, and he's on scene in Pacific Palisades and he's interviewing people, and he was very soft spoken and being considerate because some of the people that he was talking to, you know, had lost all of their homes and all of their belongings and all of that stuff. And he's showing some of the horrific scenes that we've all been looking at for the last few days. Well, apparently he needed his fire jacket to fit a little bit better. You know, those yellow fire jackets that you see the reporters wearing. As he's interviewing somebody, he kind of turns around and you see there's a clothes pin on his back cinching up the fire jacket. Seriously, like, does this fire jacket make me look fat? I mean, ten thousand people have lost their homes. I don't care if your fire jacket doesn't fit perfectly, mister Mirror. I was really disappointed. I really liked the story up until then, Clothespins. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland Weather from KFI. We still have that red flag warning in effect for much of La and Ventura Counties, Orange County and the Ie. We're gonna see sunny skies but also very smoky and the air pollution levels are very very bad. Gusty winds highs around seventy at the beaches Metro La and Inland O c Low to mid seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire. Fifties in the Antelope Valley. Clear and windy and areas tonight with lows in the upper thirties to about fifty, cooling down for the weekend. Sunny skies, gusty winds at times, highs in the fifties and sixties. It's sixty two in Los Alamitos, sixty three in Seal Beach, fifty five in Santa Clarita, and fifty three in Torrents. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Cono and traffic specialist will I am Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, You can listen any time on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app