Speaker 1: Welcome to this deep dive. We're tackling global privacy today, and our guide is doctor Allen Tang's book, Privacy in Practice.
Speaker 2: It's a fantastic resource, really dives into data protection, laws, policies, real world examples, you name it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a crash course on how all this stuff actually impacts you and me, not just theoretical stuff.
Speaker 2: Exactly, we're going to go way beyond just being left alone. You know, what does privacy really mean when we're practically swimming in data these days?
Speaker 1: Right? Because it's not about hiding in a bunker, right, it's about how companies are handling our data, what rights we actually have?
Speaker 3: You got it?
Speaker 2: So first things first? What is privacy? Doctor Tang makes a good point. It's not just about being left alone.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so there's more to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also about autonomy control access to your data.
Speaker 1: Okay, I could see that, but like what does that look like day to day? Like if I'm using a smart speaker or what are those fitness trackers? Is that messing with my privacy?
Speaker 2: Perfect example? Think about a smart speaker always listening for your voice, right, super convenient, but it's constantly picking up audio. Yeah, true, so that could be bumping into your territorial privacy, like your expectation of privacy at home, but also communications privacy, like what you're saying in your own space.
Speaker 1: Wow, I hadn't thought about it like that. The lines get kind of fuzzy, they really do.
Speaker 2: That's why doctor Tang breaks it down into four key areas, information privacy, bodily privacy, territorial and communications.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not just one big umbrella term.
Speaker 2: Nope, they often overlap, but it helps to think about them separately.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Could you give us like a quick rundown to each Sure?
Speaker 2: Information privacy that's about your personal data, name, address, what you do online, the basics, gotcha. Bodily privacy that gets deeper. It's stuff that's uniquely you, genetic data, medical records, biometrics like part of your physical being.
Speaker 1: Okay, so info privacy is like digital you, bodily is physical you. What about the other two? Right?
Speaker 2: So, territory we touched on that with the smart speaker, right reason, expectation of privacy and spaces your home, car, even public restrooms they have an implied right to privacy. And then communications privacy that's keeping your conversation's confidential, phone online, even snail mail.
Speaker 1: Okay, starting to see how complex this whole web of privacy is. And it's not just companies we got to watch out for it.
Speaker 2: They're right, it's governments too, all that surveillance stuff, even individuals, stalkers, identity theft, that's a whole mess wild.
Speaker 1: Luckily we have laws, right, doctor tang mentions this global patchwork of privacy laws. What does that mean for US?
Speaker 2: Well, good news is over one hundred and thirty seven countries have some.
Speaker 3: Data protection law.
Speaker 1: That's a lot, it is.
Speaker 2: But not all laws are created equal, you know, scope, how they define personal data, your rights, it all varies.
Speaker 1: So it's not as easy as saying global law, we're all protected.
Speaker 3: Nope, not that simple.
Speaker 2: Like take GDPR, that's the EUS big one. Yeah versus CCPAC Pere, California's deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I've heard of those. But what are the big different as we should know about?
Speaker 2: Well, GDPR is a broader geographically, any company dealing with EU resident data, no matter where the company is has to comply.
Speaker 1: So a US company with EU customers, they still got to follow a GDPR.
Speaker 2: You bet ccpack PA it's influential, but more focused on California, So.
Speaker 1: Location matters big time for which laws apply.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Then there's how they define personal data. GDPR is wide anything that identifies you directly or indirectly.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, makes sense.
Speaker 2: CCPAC pery started a narrower but CPRA broadened it a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, so getting closer. What about the rights these laws give us? Do those differ to Yeah?
Speaker 2: GDPR starts with a whole bunch of rights. Access your data, correct it, delete it, restrict processing, even move it to another company.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a lot it is.
Speaker 2: CCPA originally focused on data sales disclosure, but CPR expanded those rights, getting more similar to GDPR.
Speaker 1: So they're kind of moving towards similar levels of protection, even if from different starting points.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: And that's a trend throughout doctor Tang's book, this global push for stronger standards.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good to hear, But how did we even get tea here? Was there always this concern about data protection? Like did people one hundred years ago even care?
Speaker 3: It's been a journey.
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang talks about privacy one point oh two point oh three point zero shows how tech changed our understanding of privacy and the laws.
Speaker 1: Who I like that? Okay, walk us through these privacy eras.
Speaker 2: What was one point oh like privacy one point oh? That was late eighteen hundreds, early nineteen hundreds. It was mostly about protecting yourself from nosey pres government snoopings.
Speaker 1: Like keeping the Feds out of your business pretty much.
Speaker 2: Think about the Fourth Amendment in the US no Unreasonable searches, right, that's classic privacy.
Speaker 3: One point oh.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So back then privacy was like keeping big brother out of your stuff exactly.
Speaker 3: But then came computers databases.
Speaker 2: Suddenly we could store tons of data and bam, privacy two point zho.
Speaker 1: Okay, so things got more complicated they did.
Speaker 3: This is mid twentieth century.
Speaker 2: We start seeing early data laws, fair credit reporting in the US, Data Protection Directive in the EU.
Speaker 1: So people realize, hey, this data thing is getting out of control. We need some rules exactly.
Speaker 2: And that leads us to privacy three point zero. Where we are NW internet, smartphones, social media, the Internet of.
Speaker 1: Things, data data everywhere.
Speaker 2: Right, We're making more data than VR, and it's used in crazy ways, targeted ads, facial recognition, even predicting crime.
Speaker 1: Wow, So privacy three point zero is like trying to tame this databast, make sure it's used responsibly.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: That's why we see stricter laws like GDPR, CCPACQRAA. China's got their own PIPL.
Speaker 1: So trying to keep up with all the tech changes.
Speaker 2: Exactly give individuals more control in this digital age.
Speaker 1: This reminds me doctor Tang talks about the business case for privacy, right, it's not just about avoiding fines, legal trouble.
Speaker 2: He's spot on good privacy practices can actually HLP organizations build trust, loyalty, even give them an edge over competitors.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how does that work in real life? Give us some examples.
Speaker 2: Think about data breaches. Companies can face huge fines, their reputation goes down the drain. Sometimes execs even go to jail hikes.
Speaker 1: That's serious, it is.
Speaker 2: But companies that focus on privacy data protection, they often see more trust from customers. People stick with them.
Speaker 1: So it's not just legal or ethical, it's good business.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Consumers are getting smarter. They want companies they can trust with their data.
Speaker 1: So it's about being transparent showing your response with that. Okay, so what does this mean for companies practically, how do they build a good privacy program? Where do they even start?
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang lays out some core principles. Any program should have these transparency, purpose limitation, data minimization, accuracy, and security.
Speaker 1: Okay, lot to unpack there. Let's start with transparency. What does that mean? Like on the ground, it.
Speaker 2: Means being honest with people about what data you collect, why, how you use it, who you share it with.
Speaker 1: No more hiding behind legal jargon and fine print.
Speaker 2: Nope, clear, easy to understand privacy notices people have a.
Speaker 3: Right to know.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. What about purpose limitation?
Speaker 3: This is key.
Speaker 2: You've got to be specific about why you're collecting data and only use it for that reason.
Speaker 1: So no more just grabbing data just in case, right.
Speaker 2: No data hoarding. Got to be selective, responsible about what you store. That's where data minimization comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how do companies figure out the minimum data they need? Yeah, especially if they don't know how they'll use it in the future.
Speaker 2: That's the tough part. Requires careful thought. Got to justify keeping ecch piece of data. Move away from that collect everything mindset.
Speaker 1: So big shift in thinking. What about accuracy? Why is that so important?
Speaker 2: Well, so many decisions are made based on data now right inaccurate data that leads to unfair outcomes, discrimination, all sorts of problems.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, especially with algorithms and AI making more decisions these days, exactly.
Speaker 2: And lastly, security, what does that mean for privacy? Security is putting up those safeguards technical and d organizational to protect data from well everything, unauthorized access, use, disclosure, changes, deletion.
Speaker 3: You know it.
Speaker 2: So digital walls to keep out the bad guys, kind of encryption, strong passwords, access controls, and a plan for when things go wrong, a breach response plan.
Speaker 1: So it's not just tech, it's policies, training, a whole culture of security.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: Everyone from the top down needs to understand how important protecting data is.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a lot of work to build a strong privacy program. It's not just checking boxes, it's making privacy part of the company's DNA right, and doctor Tang actually takes it a step further with this idea of privacy by design. Yeah, we're talking tell me more. Is privacy by design even possible? With how fast tech moves, can companies innovate quickly and deprotect privacy.
Speaker 2: It's a challenge, but it's the challenge. Privacy by design means making privacy part of every system, every process from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: So not adding it on later as an afterthought.
Speaker 2: Exactly, think about potential privacy risks throughout the entire life of product or service. Build in those safeguards from day.
Speaker 1: One, so baking it in, not bolting it.
Speaker 2: On, exactly, being proactive that can lead to better privacy solutions. Overall, turns a compliance headache into real positive change.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. So how do companies actually do this? What are some concrete examples?
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang has a bunch of practical steps, but two big ones are data inventory and privacy notices.
Speaker 1: Okay, data inventory, Why that's so important?
Speaker 2: You can't protect what you don't know you have. Data inventory means mapping out all the personal data your company handles, where it is, what it is everything.
Speaker 1: So like a map of all the data flowing through the company. But I bet most companies have no idea where all their data is.
Speaker 2: It's more common than you think. Creating that inventory. It can be a huge ge task, especially.
Speaker 1: For big companies, I can imagine.
Speaker 2: But it's necessary if you're serious about privacy. Helps you identify risks, see if you're collecting too much data, find weak spots in security, make sure your privacy note are accurate, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: So it's the foundation of a good program basically. And speaking of privacy notice, doctor Tang talks a lot about those two he does.
Speaker 2: He's all about making them clear, concise, actually user friendly. No one wants to read pages of legal mumbo jumbo.
Speaker 1: I've definitely been guilty of just scrolling through those without reading a word. So how do you make them engaging?
Speaker 2: Plain language, Ditch the technical terms, break down complex stuff into bite sized pieces.
Speaker 1: Okay, so read people like humans exactly.
Speaker 2: Explain what data you collect, why, how you use it, who you share it with, what rights people have.
Speaker 3: Make it simple.
Speaker 1: It's about respect, acknowledging people's right to know what's happening with their data.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, a good privacy notice builds trust, shows you're committed to transparency.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. But let's be real. Things aren't always so simple, are they. Doctor Tang mentions these tricky situations like consent and legitimate interest areas where the lines get blurry.
Speaker 2: You're right, those are tough ones with consent. The question is when is it really valid? We click agree to so much online without thinking.
Speaker 1: Oh all the time? So what are some red flags? When should we question if consent is actually real?
Speaker 2: GDPR is clear consent has to be freely given, specific, informed, and unambiguous.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no pressure tactics, right, Like if.
Speaker 2: You have to consent to use a service, or if it's buried in a huge wall of text, that's not real consent.
Speaker 1: So if you're pressured or tricked, it might not hold up legally. What about legitimate interests? That sounds tricky too.
Speaker 3: It is legitimate interests.
Speaker 2: It's another way to justify processing data, but it's a balancing.
Speaker 1: Act, well kind of balancing act.
Speaker 2: Balancing the organization's interests against the individual's privacy rights. Like a company might have a legitimate interest in processing data for security, preventing fraud.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it seems reasonable.
Speaker 2: It can be, but it can't outweigh basic rights and freedoms. Companies have to justify it, show they've thought about the impact on people's privacy.
Speaker 1: So it's not just a free pass to do whatever they want with data.
Speaker 3: Nope, not at all.
Speaker 2: It's all about careful consideration, really understanding the laws.
Speaker 1: It's definitely more complicated than it seems at first glance. There's so much more to it than meets the eye, for.
Speaker 3: Sure, And we've only just scratched the surface.
Speaker 1: Well, we've covered a ton of ground already in this deep dive, but there's more to come.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to our deep dive into privacy and practice. We were just getting into some of the trickier parts of privacy, like when is consent really valid?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now I'm thinking about all the companies we hand our data over to, not just one, right, this third party risk.
Speaker 3: Thing, it's a big one.
Speaker 2: Companies share data all the time, vendors, suppliers, partners, the whole shebang.
Speaker 1: So it's a tangled web basically totally.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: They're still responsible for protecting that data even if it's not in their hands directly.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's not like they can just wash their hands of it. Nope.
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang is very clear on that. Organizations they have to do their homework when they work with vendors, you know, vet them carefully.
Speaker 1: So make sure those vendors have good privacy.
Speaker 2: Practices too, exactly, and have really solid contracts spell out who's responsible for what. When it comes to data protection, it's.
Speaker 1: Like picking your friends carefully, right. You want to align with companies that share your values.
Speaker 2: Great analogy, building a network of trust. It's crucial. And it's not just the big name companies we got to think about. They're also data brokers.
Speaker 1: They get brokers. That sounds kind of, I don't know, shady.
Speaker 2: They can be data brokers. They're kind of behind the scenes in this whole data world. They collect and sell personal data from.
Speaker 1: All over really from where.
Speaker 2: Tons of places, and often people have no idea it's even happening.
Speaker 3: This data.
Speaker 2: It gets used for targeted advertising, credit scores, background checks.
Speaker 3: All sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: So what's the risk with these data brokers? If they're legal, why should we care?
Speaker 2: Well, the big worry is what if that data gets misused, abused, If they don't have good security, it's vulnerable, right, breaches, leaks, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, And even if it's used for something legitimate. I don't love the idea of my info being bought and sold without my knowledge.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: A lot of people feel that way. Are there any laws about this? You know, keeping these data brokers in check.
Speaker 1: That's what I was wondering.
Speaker 2: Some places are starting to regulate them. California, Vermont they've got laws now data brokers have to register, give people more control over their data. Okay, so baby steps, yeah, but globally regulation is behind. You know, a lot of work to do, both laws A and D making people aware this is even happening.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of the wild West out there when it comes to data brokers. Anything we can do to protect.
Speaker 2: Ourselves absolutely, check those data brokers periodically, see if they have your info. Then exercise your rights, you know, access correct, even delete that data.
Speaker 1: So be proactive, take charge of your digital footprint exactly.
Speaker 2: And this leads us to another messy topic, cross border data transfers. Data zips around the globe. But that must create all sorts of legal issues.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure. Every country has different laws, right, you got it.
Speaker 2: In some countries like China, Russia, they've got these data localization laws.
Speaker 1: Data localization, what's that all about?
Speaker 2: Basically, they force certain types of data to be stored and processed within their borders. They say it's for national security, protecting their citizens' privacy. I could see that side, Yeah, but it can also mess with international trades, slow down innovation. It's complicated, lots of economic and political angles to consider.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a real world example? How does this impact the stuff we use every day?
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang uses Microsoft three sixty five as a case study. It's perfect for this, Microsoft through a US company. But where your data is stored it depends on your location.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, So it's not just one big data center somewhere.
Speaker 2: Nope, EU organization. Your data likely stays in the EU, but other regions your data might end up somewhere with weaker privacy laws.
Speaker 1: So even with global services, local laws still matter. It's a legal maze. How do companies even figure this out? Make sure they're transferring data ethically, A and D legally.
Speaker 2: It's tough, but crucial if you're doing business globally. Doctor Tang goes through a few legal mechanisms that companies can use.
Speaker 1: Legal mechanisms sounds complicated, They can be, but they're important. There are things like standard contractual clauses, binding corporate rules, and adequacy decisions.
Speaker 2: Okay, break those down for me. What are the differences.
Speaker 1: Standard contractual clauses secs? Those are like preapproved contracts for transferring data outside the EU. They offer set of safeguards make sure the data is protected to a similar standard as GDPR, so.
Speaker 3: It's a shortcut.
Speaker 2: Basically, don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you move data across border exactly.
Speaker 1: It makes things easier. Then you've got binding corporate rules BCRs. Those are internal data protection policies good for multinational companies, governed transfers within their own organization.
Speaker 3: Some more customized.
Speaker 1: You got it more complex to set up than secs, but more flexibility tailored to how the company works. BCRs are like a custom suit. Secs are off the rack.
Speaker 3: I like that. And then there are adequacy decisions. Those come from the European Commission.
Speaker 1: Oh, so the EU decides.
Speaker 2: They decide if a country has good enough data protection laws. If they get that adequacy decision, companies can transfer data there, no problem, no extra safeguards needed.
Speaker 1: So it's like a seal of approval from the EU pretty much.
Speaker 2: But those decisions can change, you know, if country's laws get weaker or there are worries about government snooping, the EU can take it away.
Speaker 1: So it's not a permanent thing.
Speaker 2: Keeping up with data privacy regulations is a full time job, seriously, and.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it. But understanding these mechanisms it's key for anyone handling data in this global world.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more. Okay, let's shift gears a bit talk about data retention and deletion. Do companies really need to keep our data forever?
Speaker 1: Right? That's something I've always wondered.
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang tackles that head on. There's this principle storage limitation. Companies should only keep data for as long as they need it for the original reason they collected it.
Speaker 1: So no more data hoarding, right, be responsible, respect people's rights to have their data deleted when it's not needed anymore exactly.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Different privacy laws, different rules about data.
Speaker 1: Retention really, so it's not so simple.
Speaker 2: Nope, GDPR, for example, they don't say exactly how long you can keep data. You got to have a policy justify why you're keeping it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So companies have to figure out what makes sense for them and follow the law exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's not just how long you keep it, it's also making sure when you delete it it's actually gone.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, I thought hitting delete was enough? What else is there.
Speaker 3: It's trickier than you think.
Speaker 2: Deleted data sometimes it can be recovered, you know, special tools, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Compani's got to prevent that.
Speaker 1: How do they do that?
Speaker 3: Overwriting the data.
Speaker 2: A bunch of times, special methods for hard drives, even physically destroying the storage sometimes.
Speaker 1: So it's more than just emptying.
Speaker 2: The trash can way more data deletion.
Speaker 3: It's got to be taken seriously.
Speaker 2: If companies want to follow the rules A and DY protect people's rights.
Speaker 1: It's a lot to think about. Speaking of protecting data, doctor Tang gets into data security too.
Speaker 2: This is where everything we've been talking about comes together. You know, transparency, purpose, limitation, minimization. It all relies on good security to actually work.
Speaker 1: So security is like the foundation.
Speaker 2: You could say that no security, even the best policies, won't matter. Doctor Tang talks about two types of measures technical A and D organizational both are important.
Speaker 1: Two types. Okay, what are those.
Speaker 2: Techno stuff like encryption, firewalls, intrusion detection, multi factor authentication, all those techy things to prevent unauthorized access.
Speaker 1: So those digital walls we talked about keeping the hackers out.
Speaker 2: Right, But tech alone isn't enough. You need the organizational stuff too, strong policies, training employees, controlling who can access what, and that breach response plan just in case, so.
Speaker 1: Everyone in the company knows how to protect data from the top down.
Speaker 2: That's the goal, and that breach response plan that's crucial. No matter how good your security is, something can always happen. Got to be ready to respawn, minimize damage, tell the people affected, follow the law.
Speaker 1: The whole deal sounds intense.
Speaker 2: It is. Data security is never over always got to be evolving, keeping up with new threats.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. Doctor Tang really lays it all out there.
Speaker 2: Huh. He does all the key principles best practices. It's a great guide for companies that want to do this right, protect that data effectively.
Speaker 1: We've learned so much. I can't wait to hear what else he has to say. And we're back, last part of our deep dive into privacy in practice. Time to put everything together, see how it works in the real world.
Speaker 2: Right, we've got the principles, the laws, tricky stuff like consent. Now let's see how these play out in specific situations where the stakes are high.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Doctor Tang calls these high risk business scenarios where privacy really matters.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Companies dealing with tons of sensitive data where a mistake could have a big impact on people's lives.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's jump into one. Marketing, it feels like it's getting harder to tell the difference between personalized experiences and just being creepy.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a tightrope for sure, companies that they're always using data to target us with personalized messages, But how do you do that ethically? Doctor Tang says, Privacy by design is key.
Speaker 1: Right, Privacy by design again, but how does that actually work in marketing? Isn't there a conflict between collecting data to personalized stuff, yeah, and de respecting people's privacy.
Speaker 3: There is.
Speaker 2: It's about finding that balance, doctor Tang says. Bake privacy into your marketing from the start. Be upfront about what data you're collecting, give people real choices about how it's used, and actually respect those choices.
Speaker 1: So no more sneaking cookies onto people's computers or spamming them with emails they never asked for.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: It's not just following the rules, it's about building trust. People want to support companies that handle their data responsibly. Right, if you're bombarding them with irrelevant ads making it hard to opt out, you're going to lose that trust.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So this applies to l kinds of marketing right, social media, email, even those annoying telemarketing calls, and cookies, all of it.
Speaker 2: Let's take cookies. They're everywhere tracking what we do online, but a lot of people have no idea how they work, what they're collecting.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I usually just click except all cookies without thinking twice.
Speaker 3: We've all been there.
Speaker 2: But doctor Tang, he's big on giving people clear choices about cookies. Explain what they are, how they work, what data they collect, make it easy to understand, and give people a way to opt out of the non essential ones without jumping through hoops.
Speaker 1: So empowering people to decide about their data, even something as small as a cookie, it's about giving them that control.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that applies to everything else too, email, telemarketing, social media, ads. Companies got to be transparent, give people real control.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on another big one the workplace. Employers have so much info about us salaries, performance reviews, even medical records.
Speaker 2: Sometimes and nowadays internet history. What you're doing on the company computer, it can get really ethically messy.
Speaker 1: Where's the line? How do you balance the company's needs with employees privacy?
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang says, clear policies and procedures are essential. What data are you collecting, how are you using it? Disclosing it?
Speaker 1: Tell your employees so no more secretly reading employees emails or tracking their every key stroke. Right.
Speaker 2: There has to be a legitimate business reason for collecting that data, and you've got to be upfront about it. Building trust is important even inside a company.
Speaker 1: What about background checks, drug tests, that kind of thing. Are their privacy issues there too?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Doctor Tang points out those can be problematic if they're not done ethically. Be transparent with applicants. What info you're collecting, how you'll use it?
Speaker 1: So, no we're digging up dirt on people just because you can.
Speaker 2: Nope, be upfront, respectful, Only collect what's relevant to the job. Employees have rights even at work.
Speaker 1: Good point. Okay. Another group that needs extra protection children, especially online, they're so vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Doctor Tang talks about COPA, that's the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act in the US.
Speaker 3: Other countries have similar.
Speaker 1: Life I've heard of that, what does it do.
Speaker 2: Basically, companies have to get permission from parents before collecting data from kids under a certain age.
Speaker 3: Can't just do it without asking, So.
Speaker 1: No tricking kids into giving up their info, oh or showing them ads for stuff that's not appropriate exactly.
Speaker 2: And the whole online experience for kids has to be designed with safety in mind, age appropriate.
Speaker 1: All of that makes sense, protecting kids online. That's a huge responsibility, it is.
Speaker 2: And finally we come to maybe the most complicated one of all, artificial intelligence AI.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere these days, and it's only going to get bigger, right, but how do we make sure it doesn't completely destroy our privacy?
Speaker 2: That's the big question. Doctor Tang has some thoughts on that. He says, build AI systems with privacy in mind from the very beginning, not as an afterthought.
Speaker 1: So same principles as before, transparency, purpose, limitation, all that those, plus.
Speaker 3: Some extra stuff.
Speaker 2: AI systems got to be transparent, accountable, fair. People need control over their data, protection from harm.
Speaker 1: Because AI it's not just collecting data, it's making decisions right, decisions that affect.
Speaker 2: Our lives exactly, and those decisions they got to be fair, ethical. We need to protect people from bias, discrimination, all those things that can go wrong when you let a machine make decisions.
Speaker 1: It's kind of scary. All the power AI has, how it can be used for good or bad.
Speaker 2: It is and that's why talking about this stuff privacy, A and d AI ethics, it's so important. We got to shape the future of AI and not just sit back and watch it happen.
Speaker 1: Well, that brings us to the end of our deep dive into privacy and practice. It's been a wild ride. I feel like I have a much better grasp on how important privacy is these days with all the data flying around.
Speaker 2: It's definitely complex, always changing, but doctor Tangk's book it's a great guide for anyone who wants to navigate this world build a future where privacy is respected.
Speaker 1: It's definitely given me a lot to think about, and I hope it's done the same for you, our listener. Thanks for joining us on this journey into the world of privacy.