Speaker 1: Tape deck Media.
Speaker 2: See the.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to see what the Potty Rictor. My name is Chris Chapman, joined as always by my co hosts Aaron Frescus, What Up? And Joseph beccastro.
Speaker 1: Hello, que de Pyes, And.
Speaker 3: Joining us once again is our special guest Erica Shasky. Hello, thanks for coming back. Erica to continue talking about Arnold's nineteen ninety two three three three doesn't matter to me. I was a toddler anyway, nineteen ninety three action comedy. Yeah, no, I'm out of these action comedy vehicle, last Action Hero. Today we are going to be talking about some of the promotional material, So Aaron gonna tell us about stuff that was a bad intro. It doesn't matter. He'll tell us some stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, how's it going, guys? I'm all right. That's good. Check out my cup. I can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what's so cool about it. It's a movie. Oh oh, ship, it's a movie.
Speaker 4: You gotta talk so I.
Speaker 3: Can see it. Because I just see Joe's giant face.
Speaker 4: Don't shoot me, I got him. That's that's a whiskers. He's over there somewhere. I don't know there he is fucking blasting fools.
Speaker 3: Ship that's like a comic book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I'm just turning it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's I meant. I meant the arts comic books.
Speaker 4: A strawby, because I don't I don't know what this guy did with the cup before I got it.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it's a Last Action Hero cup that I that was like ten bucks eBay. Some from some pervert on eBay snagged it. Anyway. Uh So we left off late January ninety three, Universal moving up. Jurassic Parks released day two weeks so, now come out a week before Last Section Hero and then Colombia's delusional chairman Mark Canton responding by doing nothing that's right. And I'm just gonna start with le John mcchernon quote quote the John mcchernon. That's that's what John mcchann doesn't quotes against quotes.
Speaker 3: Mcquote, yeah him.
Speaker 4: The mcquote McTiernan mcgave you guys. We're just talking about Columbia over hyping.
Speaker 3: The movie, the mcmovie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the mcmovie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know how you have Spike Lee joints all his or mcmovies.
Speaker 4: No affiliation to McDonald wipes however, and uh, what I was saying was mcgiernan pulled Empire Magazine in twenty twelve quote, I didn't have time to get intimately involved in all the press disasters, but the advertising campaign was terrible. It did seem that if they hadn't overhyped the movie, it would have been a lot easier to sell it, because it's actually sweet and kind of small in its heart. It isn't Cleopatra. It's the anti Cleopatra. And then he finishes by saying, and if they had come on, I know that fucked me up last time too. And if they had come on a little more quietly, I mean, it does help. It probably would have worked out better for them anyway. Unquote and yeah, he ain't wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So supposedly a few people urged Columbia to push back to the release date, with Zach Penn talking in the same Empire magazine article about how he once again called up Mark Kanton saying quote, it was insane. I rang him up and said, I want to see Jurassic Park more than the last section, hero and last section. Here was my idea as a way to try to get him to like postpone the date.
Speaker 3: That's why you're not on the movie anymore.
Speaker 4: Exactly all the stuff, like every single time he says, I don't know what's most of stuff, but I'm like, dude, yeah, you're kind of you're being a pain in the ass.
Speaker 3: Truly, they weren't going to listen to you before. They're certainly not going to listen to you now, what the fuck you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it kind of sounds like Mark Kinn's secretary kind of just hated him because he's setting calls through because it's the second time that zach Kin's been able to get through no problem, just voices complaints. Anyway, Apparently competing with Jurassic Park wasn't the only reason Canton was being bugged about the release, Like the date Supposedly builth John McTiernan and uh Sorr I was gonna say, Arnold Mick Schwarzenegger ar both asked Columbia to push back the release date in order to allow for more post production time, but Kenton refused, supposedly dude, not wanting to give off the impression to the media that the movie was in trouble, which totally would have made them look like fucking idiots. After all, the bragging they were doing about it being the greatest movie ever, and apparently like not looking dumb took presidents over the well being of the movie. Yeah, because they're like, no, no, no, as long as we all look dumb, it's fine. Whatever, we'll just look dumb later. Exactly. That's the way I think about stuff too, which now I'm trying to understand Mark can a little better. By the way, John McTiernan was also kind of right as far as what he said about the Last Section Hero advertising campaign being not good because Columbia made a few odd I guess odd would call him odd choices, which Arnold talks about a little bit in his book because apparently he was heavily involved with the ad campaign due to being an executive producer on the film, and while he does discuss some of the promotional sens we're going to talk about, he wasn't exactly forthcoming about a few pretty darn crucial details, for instance, the like mishaps and like misfortunes that they'd end up dealing with throughout the run of the ad campaign or whatever. Anyway, let's hear what Arnold had to say about Last Action Heroes campaign and I'll feel in any missing details along the way. So he begins by talking about his involvement in the film's merchandising decisions, specifically the design process of the Mattel toy line, which, by the way, was just one of the many aspects of the film that he had final set over, because I think it was all the marketing and promotional stuff. But yeah, anyway, he says in the book, quote, when the toy people showed up with their prototypes of a Jack Slater doll, I vetoed the combat weapons they proposed. I said, this is the nineties, not the eighties. Instead of wielding a flamethrower, the toy Jack Slater threw a punch and said big mistake, which was Slater's tagline against the bad guys on the toy package. It said, play it smart, never play with real guns. Unquote. And yeah, I'm sure you guys will be surprised that this was not a very popular decision. They even like kind of touched on it in the Nancy Griffin book Hit and Run, which is one of the books I read, claiming that the decision for a weaponless action figure was quote the last thing anyone wanted to hear as one prominent producer pointed out an Action figure with that weapons is a doll. Yeah. So basically what I took from that is, if you ever see a little kid playing with a Superman toys, totally fine to be like nice doll pussy. I don't know, because I started thinking, I'm like, yeah, I guess I know. No sure, stretch arms, trum just like rolling over in his grave. By the way, I wanted to mention the Jurassic Park toys as well, but then I found a few old TV ads for both of them, for Last Action Hero and the Draftic Park toys, so we'll save that for when we check out the promo videos.
Speaker 3: Why wasn't the toy line called Last Action Figures. Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a Last Time. Like I've seen a lot of old toys, but I don't think i've ever seen a Last Action Year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's you might have, but they're they're they're kind of boring, so we'll see them later.
Speaker 3: It's just a dude in a red T shirt, yeah.
Speaker 4: Pretty much, or a black T shirt, so you know they got to change it up some more toys. Anyway, Well, let's get back to Arnold talking about the awesome Mad campaign, continuing singing in his book quote, we went all out on merchandising and promotion. Besides the action toys, we licensed seven kinds of video games, a twenty million dollar promotion with Burger King, a thirty six million dollar ride film to go into amusement parks. And this is my favorite. NASA picked us to be the first ever paid advertisement in outer space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 3: Just like forcing astronauts to watch commercials. I don't understand what that means.
Speaker 4: Oh no, they have the astronauts doing the sign spinning up there. It's very easy up there. No I do remember this, so really, yeah, the space do not remember this at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I haven't add I'm not. I don't have a link for it. But like I saw what sorry, I saw an ad for the like the number you can call anyway. But he talks a little bit more about we're gonna go through real fast. So first he mentioned about how they licensed seven kind of video games, which like made it sound like they made seven different video games, but what he meant was that it was released on seven different platforms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, meaning like Super Nintendo why is both counted as a kind of video game to Arnold? Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that was including the original Nintendo. Yeah, which is I was surprised by it because, like the Super Nintendo had already been out for like three years. Yeah, so I was like, what Andy was still making? Apparently any the Lost any S game was released in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: I think Nintendo like supports their consoles for a really long time.
Speaker 4: Is that good or bad?
Speaker 3: That's good. It means you don't have to buy the new console to play the new games. Okay, yeah, well I mean I mean good for consumers. I guess I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm curious. I see, like, I'm curious what was the next one after the Super Ants? Was it sixty four? Yeah? Yeah, I think so, I'm now curious what year that came out, Like if they waited until.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, something like that before they like.
Speaker 4: Stopped making games for the Nintendo.
Speaker 1: Virtual Boy was in there somewhere.
Speaker 4: But sure, wait, wasn't that bad? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Was that the Red one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, so when they gave people horrible headaches?
Speaker 4: Okay, see that and the power Glove looks so cool, but you can't afford like my parents ain't gonna pay for that shit, no, especially because they don't think it worked very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I think it was.
Speaker 4: But that Wizard movie Man was great advertising.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, on the Power Gloves so bad exactly.
Speaker 4: That and a super Mario Brothers three was just like, man, this is awesome.
Speaker 1: Well that lived up to the fucking hype. That game is still amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That and your parents getting divorced was like I was like, yeah, all about it, because like I was kind of upset about it until I watched that movie. I was like, all right, Fred Savage has a point. It's gonna be okay to anyway. Exactly. Uh. But yeah, as far as the video game, apparently it also did not include guns or any weapons at all, which I'm sure made it super fun. Yeah, it's supposed to be like kind of like a beat him up game.
Speaker 3: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 4: The game also wasn't released until January of ninety four, so six months after the movie hit theaters. Jesus and I guess this was to coincide with the home video release.
Speaker 3: I'm no marketing genius, but that seems like a bad choice.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yes, And I want to take a look at the Admiral Fast because it's like thirty seconds song and it contained some useful interesting info. I would guess you could.
Speaker 3: Say cool and play if you want. At you then we got it.
Speaker 5: Lashed Action Hero Now the year's most Chimpact movie is Today's Hottest video game for your Super Nintendo in Sega Genesis systems, and it's available only at your video store. So when you're returning this cassette, pick up the game and live the action.
Speaker 4: Okay, anyone noticed how they mentioned that it's only available at the video store.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Did everybody notice how you don't see the game?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I did not, Like, we're just about to take this kid's word for it that he's like staring at a TV and like having so much fun, like that.
Speaker 3: They finished the game when they made that commercial.
Speaker 4: I mean, I wasn't like really wanted to play the game until I saw much fun that kid was having or he was having a seizure while playing the game. Anyway. Okay, so I'm gonna throw out to Wikipedia for the reason behind the whole video store decision, because I don't know it's easier to do that, which says that each copy of the Genesis and set Super a nes versions had an unusually high wholesale price of sixty to seventy dollars, with resulting one dollars retail price Jesus, which is crazy for night Yeah, which was too high for most consumers obviously, because the retail price now for PlayStation five games is what seventy sixty nine?
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, they're just like they're just now making games more expensive for the first.
Speaker 4: They're just now making the price of video games sexy sixty nine dollars, So that's insane for nineteen ninety three. But it continues by saying that as a result, the two game versions were originally only available as rentals for a minimum seven month period, which I think they helped did that for seven months, and then after a seven month rental period was up, the two game versions would be repriced for consumer retail. So were they trying to I guess they were trying to recoup some of the don't I don't know. That's weird. I just don't understand, Like, like, the more stuff I find out about their ad campaign, the more I'm just like, what are you guys purposely trying to like self sabotaging, Like, what are you do mean, this is so weird anyway, Okay. So, Arnold also mentioned the twenty million dollar promotion with burn King, which we watched the ad and ad fordur in the pre watch the one with the cool collectible cups. Oh yeah, yeah, which I didn't know, Joe, did you have one of those? Because I didn't know it was a sleeve that was on it.
Speaker 1: I didn't have one.
Speaker 4: Do you know what do you remember him though? Like if you turn it, it like like, oh yeah, it kind of makes it look like a movie.
Speaker 1: No, I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: It was well, it's it was a sleeve.
Speaker 4: It was a sleeve that you would turn, so basically you put over that holes in it so there'd be a picture on there and as you turn it, it make it look like a movie. So yeah, So there were comments on the There were comments on like Reddit. They were like, yeah, I lost the sleeve after the first day.
Speaker 3: But anyway.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: He then mentions that the thirty six million dollar quote unquote ride film to go in amusement parks, which I could not find a damn thing about except a mention of it in a nineteen ninety three Bloomberg article, which says that a simulator ride using film footage was in the works, along with the virtual virtual reality version of the movie that was supposed to show in theaters, which I don't get how that would work.
Speaker 3: But no, but that sounds insanely. Yeah, that sounds insane.
Speaker 6: I mean I think it could work nowadays with like the four D capability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's what it sounds like. Then.
Speaker 6: I mean, maybe like a production of like they had like I think it was that Disneyland, or maybe they didn't. They had like a I Shrunk the audience like production where you I never went to that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, that was well that was the same thing as like forty though, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Or was it essentially essentially which was it was like three D plus a little bit of like like in room like actual effects like fog machines and shit like the.
Speaker 6: Dog actually sneezes on you and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have you guys done the forty movies because that seems like it would be like just.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a nightmare.
Speaker 6: That sounds like a take it off for three out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just sounds like the seed is going to be punching you the whole time.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't that sounds pleasurable. But I'm the guy that likes time massages, you know, the the chicks like staying on you and like fucking do the people's elbow in your back and shit.
Speaker 4: So okay, so the yeah, that Bloomberg article. Okay. Anyway, I'm assuming the plans for both of those, the virtual reality thing and the simulator, were dropped after the film and performed at the box office because I could not find a like, like I said a thing about him, damn. And at first I thought that maybe it had like a short run at like Universal Studios, but that because that sounds like something that they'd have there. But there's the Universal made Jurassic Parks. There's no Yeah, yeah that's true.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Once I was like, you know, was it it?
Speaker 4: Okay, I started I started looking for it, and I was like, maybe Univeral Studios. I was like, oh wait, they know that.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to like, who would even have it if not Universal Studios?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Definitely not Disney, right, yeah, so like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it feels like it would be like the tram ride at Universal. Well, isn't like a version of it?
Speaker 4: Well, isn't a Yeah true, that actually would be kind of like Jurassic.
Speaker 6: Has its own ride there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that's like a tour through the park or something, right, the tram ride, No, the the Jurassic Park one.
Speaker 3: It's like a it's like a water ride.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but are you just like what's like right?
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like the concept is it's been a long time, says it's been on it, but yeah, I think the concept is that you're just kind of going through the park, but like Jssic Park.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Universal Universal Studio.
Speaker 6: I thought that was the tram ride. I'm so confused. Sorry. I even watched Okay, this is how bored I was the other day. I literally I just turned on TikTok and somebody was recording the Jurassic Park like ride live. While they were on it, I was like, I'll watch this. That's fine, Like I'll just sit here and pretend I'm on the ride with you when you were there. Yeah, I've been on it twice. Can I tell you we went through the park?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I remember the end of the ride and the end of the ride. I remember thinking, oh, that was very similar to Indiana Jones.
Speaker 4: Was there no drop in that ride?
Speaker 3: Drop?
Speaker 6: There's one drop where it's like the dinosaur comes at you and then the ride ducks under the dinosaur, and it just reminded me of like Indiana Jones. Were you like, duck.
Speaker 3: Fuck that t rex.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: So it's not like a not like a splash mountain drop. It's like a little small drop.
Speaker 6: No, it's like a splash mountain drop.
Speaker 3: It's probably a little less than splash mountain. But it's it's not like a steep. It's not like it's not like a beginning of Pirates of the character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was the other one. No, no, no, okay.
Speaker 3: No, just fuck that t rex because apparently we went to Universe. I went to Universe Studios once with our family and we went on that ride they took. Yeah, and we you know, the fucking pictures on the ride like that they take it. We never buy those fucking pictures, right, Well, apparently my face was so fucking scared that they they thought it was hilarious and they decided to buy the fucking picture. Oh my god, the picture's up in the house somewhere.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. Jose Or I don't know if I'm sure. Erica went on too, but the Simpson's ones just riding through the springfield.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, you're like in an elevator or something. So I think, like you guys ever been on the Back of the Future, right, you're just kind of in a cart with like a screen in front. Yeah, like the cart Star.
Speaker 6: Tours, right yeah, but but not like well Star Tours is like you're in a cart with a bunch of people. This is just a cart with your people.
Speaker 4: Oh so it's per party.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, I don't remember. There was seven years ago.
Speaker 6: I only remember because I downed of Mitchellata inline and the whole time I was sitting in the back of the car thinking, don't throw up on the back of your brother's head.
Speaker 3: Do that.
Speaker 4: So it's a it's not even like it's a it's one of like Star toars is what do you call those?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's not moving like it is, but it's not like resturract forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's how the Back to the Future one was, and I think probably that's how it's not. That's what it sounds like. They wanted to set up for last section Hero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for thirty six million dollars, which I don't remember. How much that tto thing costs. But like I feel like it was a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a lot. I just like, if it's not at Universal Studios and it's not at Disneyland, does that mean it just ended up at like Family Fun Center or something like Bush.
Speaker 4: The Gardens that's an the place or not Berry Farm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was Magic Mountain a thing back then? I guess six Flights.
Speaker 1: Yes, Mountain has been there since like at least the sixties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess I meant six Flags.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well I mean six Flags bought Magic Button.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so yeah that never happened. And I tried to find something because there's a bunch of articles that I like talk about old rides that don't exist anymore. It's but like in ones that are based on movies. But it's not any of those. So I don't think it like once the movie bombed. I don't. I think it just they're like just quietly like, okay, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 3: Not worth it.
Speaker 4: Moving on, Arnold describes his favorite of their marketing stunts, saying, quote, NASA picked us up to be the well, like I was saying, NASA picked us up to be the first ever paid advertisement atter space. We painted Last Action Hero and Arnold Schwarzenegger on the sides of a rocket and then held a national sweepstakes whose winners would get to push the launch button. Unquote that sounds joke like that sounds kind of cool, yeah, yeah, but unfortunately it once again emits a few pretty important details. So quick background information about the whole thing. On March third, nineteen ninety three, Columbia Pictures announced that it made a deal with NASA to promote Last Section Hero but having Arnold's name painted on US six outer booster rockets and then the title logo painted across the fuselage, the payload and a science satellite. The plan was for the unmanned Conestoga rocket to launch sometime in May nineteen ninety three and then conduct micro gravity experiments as it orbits there for two years. It was supposed to be, like you said, the first time that a US rocket would be used to advertising space, with Columbia's President of Marketing Sid Ganis aka the dude that didn't know how to describe the film, yeah, him telling the United Press International that they were excited about breaking new ground in the advertising world, and apparently they because apparently they had like a bunch of different companies that wanted to participate anyway. The president of Space Marketing, Inc. Which was the marketing firm that partnered with NASA, ended up telling the La Times that they decided on only one ad because, quote, we didn't want the rocket to look like a pace car at the Indy five hundred yeah, unquote. But yeah, the ad would end up costing Columbia Pictures five hundred thousand dollars, which seems like a lot of money for an ad that nobody's ever They're never gonna say you.
Speaker 3: See precisely once like during the launch, which yeah, nobody watches, but I know it's like.
Speaker 4: It's that's not the point. It's like about doing it more like for like the hype or whatever, like getting people just thinking about the move, like exactly public. Yeah, offering the jet, offering the what.
Speaker 6: Offering the jet for PEPSI?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, offering the jet. Do we watch something about someone that like scammed his way into getting enough for that.
Speaker 1: I didn't scam his way.
Speaker 6: He did scamm it.
Speaker 4: He was sorry, sorry, he found a loophole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, PEPSI, where's my jet? It's on Netflix? It's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did watch it, okay, yes, but yeah. So in order to build that hype, they also partnered with AT and T to set up a nine hundred number where callers would leave a message that would be sent up into space with the rocket, which I'm assuming they would have done by just like duct taping an old answering machine to the side of the like you put them all on an answering machine and then like duct taping on the side of the rocket. You know.
Speaker 3: Again, my question is like, for who, like are the astronauts forced to listen to these messages? Is it for aliens?
Speaker 4: I think it's just like a like again, an advertising, like a promo gimmick, like your stuff will be up in space. I don't know. And this wasn't free, by the way, Oh yeah, that's true. It's a nine Yes, calling up that nine hundred number and leaving a message would put you back three dollars and fifty cents per message.
Speaker 6: Man, my dad made me pay the phone bill one time because I called my friend too many times. They had my friend had got a cell phone, and I don't know that it was a nine hundred number. What but they got a cell phone unless.
Speaker 4: Your friend was like a special friend.
Speaker 6: It was not a special friend, Okay, but I called my friend so much on the landline to talk to them over here. My dad made me pay the phone bill.
Speaker 4: Eric learned money management really early. I didn't. But yeah, it also entered the three dollars and fifty cents whatever, or just the call in general just entered you into a contest. The contest that Arnold mentioned, but the two winners joining Arnold for the launch and even helping him push the button that launches the rocket. Yeah, which I'm assuming he probably needed do to. Like I guess the button was probably small, and you got the sausage fingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like, what do you need to problem?
Speaker 4: Ye're like, yeah, that's from the Simpsons where it's like where or Homer gets fat and he's trying to like dial phone. The things you were dealing with are to.
Speaker 1: Obtain the special telling at uh.
Speaker 4: Fortunately for them, Arnold's extra beefy digits wouldn't be a problem, because about two months later Variety Variety reported that NASA had confirmed that the rocket would not launch until at least July or August, which would be one to two months after the film was released. Columbia still try to play it cool by saying that the delayed launch still worked as far as marketing for like the international release. Sure, but the media just spun it as pretty much like another sign that the if the movie's in trouble. The launch eventually ended up being canceled completely, which uh I didn't write down, but it was like due to like the president of that's the uh the company that NASA partnered with.
Speaker 3: The marketing company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he wanted to get that going like as a thing, and there was such pushback against it that apparently they outlawed it in the US. They still do. They This wasn't the first time that they. Russia was already doing this like advertising in space, oh oh okay, yeah, but they outlauded in the US, like.
Speaker 3: Like the concept of contests.
Speaker 4: No advertising in space, setting any any sort of advertise, like any sort of advertisement in space, gotcha. Yeah. So I think it was Clinton that ended up signing something that just completely outlawed it. But yeah, the launch being canceled didn't really get any coverage because at this point the movie had already been released, and like I'm saying, leading up to that release, the media would just latch onto any sort of negative news about the movie. It's only because they were so supposedly, and that's what pretty much any sort of article that was saying about it even after its release, they were like fuck this movie, like they came out of the.
Speaker 3: Gate so like whatever, but like overconfident, yes exactly, Yeah, which sucks because that really hit, Like none of this stuff really has anything to do with the movie. Yeah, and there was it suffers for it.
Speaker 4: Like I read an article that was it was old too, but it was talking about how how much influence the media has over how well movies do. But by doing that kind of stuff, like it called Sleepless in Seattle a sleeper hit before the movie came out, and like it was it was commenting on that, sorry that how it kept getting called a sleeper hit, and it was like, you can't be a sleeper hit if your movie hasn't come out yet. Yeah, like that's something that what happens.
Speaker 3: The data has to bear out afterwards, like yeah, yeah, no, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's literally called sleepless in Seattle.
Speaker 3: Oh see. They were just well that it can't be a sleeper Joe. It has to be a Sleepless hit.
Speaker 1: No, the characters are sleepless in Seattle. But if you watch it in anywhere not Seattle, then then you'll be you'll be the sleep sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bay, you're a sleeper. You know what.
Speaker 6: I can't tell you that I've watched or purchased anything from Russia because I've seen their advertisements in space.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I didn't even look I didn't look into that space for me, I didn't look into that. But it was like, oh, interesting Russia. Like, if we are going to beat them in one thing, it will be shooting ads into space. I want Dolgatlovich at in space anyway. Okay, Yeah, But as far as like the just the media latching on of stuff like Entertainment Weeklies cover article the week before the movie came out was all about the negative rumors surrounding the film, although I will admit it includes my favorite bit of info about the rocket launch, with them writing that the idea of advertising in space was getting pushed back from the National Coalition of on Television Violence. Apparently, they were picketing outside the Sony lot and according to the article, they were quote calling for the studio to paint children's drawings about Peace on the Rocket instead, which unquote but sounds like something like out of like a Simpsons episode that makes fun of hippies. Like for sure, you gotta because like you're working.
Speaker 1: For your car men.
Speaker 4: But like it's just like when I read that, it was like, what, that's what you want? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, as I mentioned before, there's a whole uproar about this movie and violence in the media and everything, and yet out anybody trying to find it. Fucking with Donahue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So it was not looking good as far as marketing at this point, but at least it can't get any worse.
Speaker 3: Right for sure?
Speaker 4: Certainly, Yeah, let's find out by finishing off that quote from Marls book with him saying, quote, we put up a four story tall, inflatable statue of Jack Slater on a raft just off the beach at can during the film Festival in May, and I set a personal record there by giving forty TV interviews and fifty four print interviews in a single twenty four hour period.
Speaker 3: Wow, Jess, Yeah, Jesus.
Speaker 4: And so the only thing I wanted to mention about the interview thing, and I can't remember where I read this but anyway, it was like how he'd gotten his answers down pretty much down to like three minutes or sorry he didn't. He got each interview down at three minutes. Yeah, and he's got he's got his answers like to where they were like mechanical, like uh, basically, the journalist was like that it kind of sucks with the interviewer, which I get, but also like, yeah, I'm sure doing press junkets fucking suck yeaheah, So he's trying.
Speaker 3: To shove that nearly one hundred and yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, let's just get it through postgame interview. You know, we're like we just went in there and played the game and executed, Like all right, what you can you tell me about that? But like, man, we executed like we're out of Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: You know, that's why the crazy ones get so much attention, because it's like something that's, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's trying to fucking bait him into like giving him a good sound clip or whatever. But like the smart ones, you know, we'll just be like or even like Marshawn Lynch because you know, Marshaw Lynch is like a very like friendly and open guy and he was like that at the beginning of his career, but the press kept taking a ship and doing it, so like at Super Bowl and He's like, I'm just here so I don't get fined.
Speaker 3: Like that was literally he said that.
Speaker 1: At least twenty times. That was his answer to every thing, like, oh, Marshaun, tell me about this. He's like, I'm just here so I don't get fined. That's all he did.
Speaker 3: Nice, Okay.
Speaker 4: So as far as the four story inflatable jacks Slater that Arnold mentioned, it was the same one that they used in the movie during the the Jack Slater premiere at the end, which they actually shot in New York City in Times Square. And I'm going to add a picture to the chat, but for anyone listening, it basically looks like a balloon you'd see at the Macy's Thanksgiving d parade. It's just like a big inflatable Jack Slater that's holding a gun in one hand and a police badge in the other hand. So they first used the balloon during filming in New York City and then brought it to the promote the film at the Can Festival. So sorry, Can Film Festival, not it wasn't the goat festival that we were was? It sounds like a festival for goats, like can Yeah, I couldn't think of a better joke. It was like just anyway. Now, I'm going to send a picture of the original version of the balloon, and I know it's not the best quality picture, but do you guys notice a difference between the two. I doubt it because the picture quality is so shitty.
Speaker 3: I mean, the gun looks double guns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the gun looks like it's deflated a little bit. Like It's like I was.
Speaker 3: Almost wondering if it was supposed to be nunchucks instead of.
Speaker 6: Kind of looks like st Alone instead of Arnold.
Speaker 4: It kind of does.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it kind of looks like Jack Palance instead of Shortznegger.
Speaker 4: But this version isn't holding a badge in it's left hand.
Speaker 3: Oh it's not.
Speaker 4: No, is that a grenade?
Speaker 1: Is the infinity gunlet?
Speaker 4: That's actually good, Like it kind of looks like that. I was thinking like a meatball sub or something like that, but it's actually a bundle of dynamite. Oh yeah, well.
Speaker 6: That's right in front of his ding gung.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's great.
Speaker 6: That's lighting your subject matter right.
Speaker 1: There For anybody listening, this picture looks like it was took in like ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like World War One.
Speaker 6: It definitely looks like it is one hundred percent Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 1: It's all fucking black and white and grainy as shit.
Speaker 4: Now I want to put a top hat on him.
Speaker 6: He's all like ready to take over the cell, saying.
Speaker 4: It's based on one of like the promo pictures for the film. It's with him holding a gun in one hand and the sick But uh.
Speaker 3: I've seen that. But why did they change up for the festival?
Speaker 4: So they originally planned to use this version of the balloom for the film. It wasn't just a festival boat for the film because like in the film Edge, Yeah, this version was all set up in like on March first, nineteen ninety three in Times Square. Unfortunately, three days earlier, six people died and over a thousand were injured when error set off a bomb in the parking garage below the World Trade Center and an attempt to collapse the North Tower into the South Tower.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: So people were understandably upset about a seventy five foot inflatable man showing off his meatball sub looking dynamite, like like basically they took it down, deflated it, and then changed the dynamite a place pitch.
Speaker 1: What makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just a giant German man holding some dynamite. It's like that sounds more like Diehard than Schwartzeneger movie man.
Speaker 6: He cannot catch a break.
Speaker 4: With the seriously, seriously, like this movie is. It's just one thing after another. No, I mean, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, which we'll get to in a second.
Speaker 6: But real trade center stuff for him is just.
Speaker 4: Well you think like at least one person involved with it. This happened three days after, Like they put that up three days after the bombing, so you think that like at least one person would be like maybe a bomb's a bad choice. Yeah, that's nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean and like I don't know how long it takes to switch out what inflated fucking tensory inflatable dude is holding, So yeah, I don't know. Yeah, But also what was blown off was a bunch of Bnewer in a van. Was that they didn't throw a bunch of T and T in there.
Speaker 3: Well I don't know that TNT kind of looked like a handful of anwer.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised that I'm surprised we don't have a a like a quote from the head of marketing saying that also it was maneure Okay, yeah, there wasn't T and T come on anyway. And yeah, like Eric was saying, arnold his hat. He has a complicated relationship with those towers, because just a few years later, another one of his films would encounter a similar issue when the Clatteral Damage crew was forced to take down their four story balloon of Schwarzenegger because he was holding a kind of jet fuel in one hand and then he was like like one of those like Red Sox pennants in their hand, which was just like a weird marketing tactic to put in New York, Like, I don't know, Plus, what did they have to do with the movie? What do they have to do with the movie anyway? Okay, sorry uh And then before we get back to filming, the last thing I wanted to mention about the marketing has to do with the film's poster design and is probably my favorite of the behind the scenes stories.
Speaker 6: This dinosaur with the nun in the background. I don't remember seeing dinosaur with the nun yeah on this.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I forgot to put the poster up there.
Speaker 6: Looks like it that looks like a habit.
Speaker 4: Oh wait none, none, none, Oh yes, a nun ends up at the funeral shooting at them because everyone starts pulling out. Oh yeah, but the leo the fart he passed gas one last time. You know, I love the joke. Shane Shane Black is a genius anyway. Uh okay, so uh sorry. So, as a way to be more accessible as an executive producer, Arnold set himself up in a forty foot long trailer on the Sony lot. Yeah. During filming and apparently due to having a final say over all aspects of the film's marketing and promotional material, he had a phone installed with the direct line to the marketing executives' offices, whose executives he would summon throughout the day, and would often be seen running back and forth from the Sony offices to arnold trailer, Which is just awesome that he's like got that kind of power and making them just like rue back and forth as he's like tinkering this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got his own personal bat phone just to tone something exactly.
Speaker 4: So one day, he summons the VP of marketing to the trailer to discuss the film's poster, and supposedly Arnold was not happy with the poster. He wasn't a fan, supposedly telling the executive that, quote, my hair isn't flying no matter how much hairspread you have with the win in the head, it should be flying all over the place. Yeah. He insists the poster be redrawn in order to bring them from quote a totally static look to something that represents what the film is saying, which is bang uncorrect. He then allegedly pulled out an alternate poster that he'd had commissioned without informing the studio, which supposedly pissed off the marketing department. This supposedly led to Mark Kenton, the head of the studio, stopping like running over to Arnold's trailer, not to yell at them or like even give them a hard time, but yeah, but to assure them that they'll we're gonna keep working on the poster until you're happy, basically, which I'm like whatever, Like I don't know, Like at this point, you're just like, Okay, it's guess in charge to be fair if you look behind me, Arnold's hair does look like it's flying in that poster a sure, like, so they nailed that part at least. Yeah, Like apparently it was like just like, you know, like slick but not flying like perfectly kaifed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly as all things should be.
Speaker 4: Okay. So getting back to the actual filming of the movie. So before getting sidetracked, we're about halfway through principal photography, with production moving to New York City at the beginning of March, where they spend a little over a week pulling a double whammy by shooting on location in Times Square while also indvertently offending the public with their giant ORNLD balloon. And the balloon wasn't the only only thing being deflated, because it was during this time that Arnold first begins worrying about the film, which I don't think actually works as far as like the whole deflated metaphor going for but you guys go, I mean it's an enthusiasm is deflated. There you go, there you go e ego a little bit. Yeah, So to set up the quote from Arnold, and also because I don't think I mentioned it before, which is done because it's supposedly part of the reason that the film bombed. But Last Action Hero was always supposed to be rated PG thirteen. There was never any like it was huh yes with a Hit and Run the book Hit and Run, claiming that a survey at the time had shown that a PG rated film was three times more likely to make a one hundred million dollars at the box office than an R rated film, which I think it's always.
Speaker 1: You said, that's PG.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the lower the writing, I'm assuming just like because pretty much, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh so PG first ours is three times more likely. But what about PG thirteen?
Speaker 4: PG thirteen they didn't have the thing for, but I'm assuming it can't be far off.
Speaker 3: Also, when was PG thirteen invented.
Speaker 4: Eighty right after Template Doom? So like eighty five or eighty four? Eighty five? Gotcha? Which I was reading about it, and I was like, what are you doing? Why are you wasting your like this? You're not going to talk about this at all, are you? Nope? Okay, then stop reading about it, because I was like, oh, what was the first PG thirteen movie? But now I could have told you, guys, but I don't remember because I stopped reading about it anyway, okay, and then, in order to cash in on that by appealing to the whitest possible audience, Last Action Hero was first rewritten and then eventually shot as a PG thirteen film.
Speaker 3: Got it, yes, because white people love PG thirteen films, do they?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 3: Sorry, you said whitest, and I kept.
Speaker 4: Hearing white the whitest, yes wideest.
Speaker 6: Yes, well whitest too, Yes.
Speaker 3: To the whitest whitest yep, w whitest possible.
Speaker 4: AUDI know the white wide like you know? Like I don't know? W I d e wh whitest anyway?
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 4: According to Ardlne's book, apparently a late night conversation with John McTiernan during these eight days that they were filming in New York was when he realized there might be an issue, saying, quote, John always had great clarity of and on Last Action Hero. That gave me my first hint of trouble. We were having a drink after shooting until three in the morning one night in New York and John said, what we're really making here is et. When I heard that, I had a sinking feeling that maybe the whole PG thirteen thing was a mistake. Even though we had a kid costar in the movie, people might not buy me doing a family friendly action film. That was okay for Harrison Forden Raiders of Lost Arc, but not for me. I made these comedies, of course, but those were different because no one expects you to blow people up in a comedy. When you're selling a movie with the word action in the title, you better deliver some Conan two had fizzled because we'd made it PG. Now we were betting we could pack enough amazing stunts and energy to make Last Action Hero live up to its name. End quote. And I'm sorry if I'm sitting in the office, but I'm pretty sure John mcturns et comment was meant less as like an insightful take on Like It wasn't like insightful, like you know what we are making here? It kind of seems like we're making et. It wasn't mean like there was more like a dude that's just exhausted from working eighteen hours a day on a movie that bears like very little resemblance to the one he actually signed off for. Yeah, he's fucking tired at this point. Basically. Also, that quote had me super looking forward to watching Conan Destroyer.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm all right, yeah, that's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: The whole time I was watching the first one, I was thinking, Man, this movie is so much better if you didn't have all that icky like violence and nudity in it.
Speaker 3: You know what this movie needed, less titties, less blood. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The more we learn about this, the more I see why it was a flop. But I've always watched this movie and been like, this movie's fucking good. Yeah, yeah, so I agree, Like it just sounds like it's a victim of its own like, and we'll get to this when we actually fucking watch the movie and like get done even like a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of hubrious the studios part, for sure, that the.
Speaker 1: Hubris is the money making part, but the rest of it, Yeah, the actual film is a little victim of its own circumstance, Like a lot of people just trying to like we want to make like the best movie, but we feel like we're going this way or that way, so we might want to not do that. And then the studio just being like, let's fucking make money. I think if it weren't like an Arnold movie in nineteen ninety three, Yeah, it would have been fine, but they just kind of they they fumbled.
Speaker 4: I disagree with what John mctriner said, Like if they just would have toned down the fucking marketing and just like because like you said, it's it's not a gigantic film, like it's yeah, it's like a smaller kind of story.
Speaker 7: So it's basically your fucking rich, dick white guy who fucking like goes to like Duke or whatever and like fucking gets like a couple of too many d.
Speaker 1: Wise, and it has become CEO, you know, and they're like.
Speaker 4: Like a million West events from the Men Ducks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's basically that, like, yeah, he's still fucking extremely successful, but yeah he's not like the fucking eighth richest man in the world.
Speaker 4: He's like the two.
Speaker 1: Hundred and forty seventh. Like ooh, would have fucking disaster. It's like, no, fuck that. Like you had fucking lightning in a bottle, but they're not lightning in a bottle and actually the opposite of that, but this is the asset or bottle inside lightning.
Speaker 4: I don't know the head of Columbia tude, it's just a fucking eat like which we'll find out as it goes further along, even though we kind of already showed it anyway. Okay, so as far as last section here, I think it goes without saying that the closer they got to the film's immovable release date, the more stressful things were becoming, especially for John McTiernan, who would tell Empire magazine in twenty twelve that the last stretch of production was quote the worst time I've ever had in this business. And keep in mind that directing Rollerball basically resulting in that fucker going to prison. So because first day there was probably like eight hour workdays. Nice. Yeah, there's actually a story in that same Empire article that's like a great example of how tight of a schedule they were under while filming. It comes from Austin O'Brien, and he's talking about working with an obviously stressed out John McTiernan. He says, quote, I do remember that the deeple we got in, John looked more tired, more haggard. He was great with me when we got something right, he turned into a little kid and started jumping around. But there was one day when I got a sense of how under the gun he was. We'd built a new York Skyline inside the studio, and I was hanging from a gargoyle wearing a harness. So it was like one of the last scenes in the movie. But anyway, so he says, it was so tight that I literally couldn't breathe, but I was too nervous to say anything, and I passed out for a few seconds. People were cutting off my clothes and I got kind of scary. But I do remember m Churning coming up afterwards and saying, in situations like these, I don't care what's happening, You tell me and we'll fix it. Don't be afraid. You haven't done anything wrong, but we cannot afford to stop shooting.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, But yeah, wait, those are two completely different messages. Yeah, so wait, I don't understand like he said, hey, hey, your safety, no matter what happens, you got to tell me when sit like that is happening so we can fix it.
Speaker 4: I think I think he meant like he like just the fact that sorry, this is just me sticking for Johnny Kernon, I guess, but I think he meant that, like, if it's too tight, you gotta tell us before where it becomes an issue where you pass out and we're wait, like we have to.
Speaker 3: We have to wait for you. The real problem with the situation is we just wasted I don't know, forty five seconds waiting for you to wake up. That was fucking that's that's like half a million dollars right there.
Speaker 4: When we could have like we had to wait for you to like wake up and then they had to double check you, and like there's an hour gone now when we could have just loosened the straps, you know, So just like just tell us next to me. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Get where the bus man's coming from. You know. It's just like, look, if you die, we're fucked. So don't die. So if you tell us this thing to recast, we'll spend three minutes having you not die, but we want to spend twenty five minutes of you dying, because fuck, you're.
Speaker 4: Like a Bruce Lee into the Dragon thing with him die. It's where they're like like what are they just like they're using like doubles and stuff like that or so I don't know, I don't know. Brindley with the crow, well, yeah, Bradley with the Crow, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: The end of the movie Rest in Peace.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, unquote, but mccernyon basically admitted in that same article that the reason the tone of the movie is kind of all over the place is because the head of the studio, which was Mark Canton, kept going back and forth about whether their last Action hero should be more of a kid's movie or more of an action movie, which mciernan says led to a watered down version of the script, and that as they entered the last few weeks of production, they were quote just trying to get the damn thing finished. It also seems like the stress was making mcinernan paranoid, with Shane Black talking about a time that he and David are not visited the set and one of the studio executives told him that they should stop by Arnold's trailer, which they did. Apparently this pissed off John mctoernan, who later accused them of conspiring against him. And this just makes me definitely start seeing how this is the same dude who went to prison for line to the FBI about hiring someone who illegally wired tap like the roller because he ended up like he ended up hiring someone who illegally wire tap the Rollerball producer's phone, Like once he started having problems on Rollerball, he's probably like getting flashbacks from last section. Year was like never again, never again, and then just hire someone I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only difference is whatever illegal shit he pulled on last section, Hero, he didn't get caught for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a crime if you don't get charged. It's true, just saying, but.
Speaker 4: Not everyone was having a bad time. It seems like most of the actors enjoyed the experience. Austin O'Brien speaks pretty fondly of it, as does Charles Dance, who spoke very highly of Arnold, saying, quote, he creates an extraordinary atmosphere on set because everybody in the film business is rampant with insecurity and paranoia, which, yeah, apparent. Yeah, everybody's nauseatingly nice to each other for fear of their next job. But the more I worked, the more I realized that the good atmosphere actually came from Arnold unquote. I kind of a feeling that like he just kind of seems like he brings that intergy to any movie set that he's working on. Yeah. Sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he dialed it up a little bit for this movie due to him being like executive producer and the director being under an incredible manst like basically having to like bring the situation back after you got John mc cunnan.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, yeah that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys are conspiring against me. He's joking. He's joking, like stirming off.
Speaker 1: The only other thing I know Charles Dance from is from Game of Thrones, and he's fucking amazing that And I know you haven't watched it, Aaron, because it's fantasy and okay, really like the prime time of that show was when fucking Charles Dance was on it. Because that guy just he's just the fucking he's just the beast. I don't know a better way to put it, but like him as a fucking character and him as an actor in him as whatever fucking dad Lanister whatever his name is. In that scene when he's talking to Taiwan, yeah, and a scene when he's talking to the other kid and he's fucking like, uh taking the skin off a deer or whatever. I'm like, this guy's fucking amazing.
Speaker 4: Like just good acting or the characters a badass or just both it's.
Speaker 3: Oh, well written character, but he's probably like perfectly cast in.
Speaker 1: It, perfectly cast. So I imagine either he is going to be like the fucking best dude, like a fucking professional, you know, he's just out there like carving and cut. You're like, oh man, hey, fucking good, take good take, Govda. I don't know how you know he's out Yeah, if you were just like super intimidating too, Hello, that's a fucking good okay, gov Da. Uh, I'm hungry. I am a worst kind of sell us. I don't know. I can't do. But just anyways, he's either like that or just a giant fucking asshole. But what you're saying about him and like Arnold bringing the levity and everything, I'm just hoping he was out there fucking giving a good time. So but yeah, no, that guy seems school as fuck. And I'm glad he was in Game of Thrones and in Last Night shar I'm glad he's saying good things about Last Night Actioncenaro because it makes you feel better about Game of Thrones because later on on that show things probably didn't go so well.
Speaker 4: But as soon as there, yeah, he definitely had a good time with this, but uh yeah, so anyway, the only other thing I wanted to mention that happened during these last few weeks of production was that Arnold received the International Star of the Decade award at the nineteen ninety three Show West Convention in Las Vegas, which was hosted by the National Association of Theater Owners or NATO, which was an odd choice because that acronym was definitely already being used by the time, but like by a much more well known organization, like when they came up with that. But whatever, I guess.
Speaker 1: North American Tang observers, right, yeah, exactly, people who make sure Tang's good.
Speaker 4: They did actually change their name in March of this year to the to Cinema United, So yeah, which hopefully inspires the Independent Theater Owners Coalition the IOC to do the same.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the SOFIA MANN and that Cinema United men, so you're.
Speaker 4: Come see, like, that's exactly why I was wanted the Independent Theater Orders Coalition the same, which is i t o C. Maybe they'll't block me on Instagram for suggesting that they change the name the Coalition of Unaffiliated National Theaters because their theaters are usually filled with a bunch of pretentious to unts, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, this is basically the fucking Team America thing, or it's like Screen Actors Guild, Film Actress Guild. You can figure out.
Speaker 4: The exactly Joseph is better because it was off the top of his head and mind took me an hour to right. But whatever, probably I.
Speaker 1: Always get come comeing off my head.
Speaker 2: Was just on Joe's tongue, come on the tip of all right, cut all this out.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's comedy Gold.
Speaker 4: I can't it's comedy Gold. Okay, anyway, okay, okay, Now we got to leave it in because of that show West, which is actually a convention that's still held today, although it's called CinemaCon. Now have you ever heard of that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard of CinemaCon.
Speaker 4: Okay, which and I believe it's Cinema con. So that's a convention. Yeah, I believe it's. It's five days long, and according to their website, it's the largest and most important gathering of movie theater owners from around the world. It was also and still seems to be a pretty important event for movie studios as well, who use the event to persuade the attending theater owners to book their movies because they're going to be huge box office hits that you should probably like goett to put them in multiple theaters because these movies are gonna be huge. So it's basically like from what I understand, they just by hosting a presentation event that seems like it's similar to the San Diego Comic Con panels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Cinema Con is now a huge source of trailers. Yes, anay exactly.
Speaker 4: So they show extended trailers or reels from upcoming big releases, which I believe sometimes include intros or panels featuring the actors that start in the films, like the pictures that are looking at back then had like a bunch of like a Sylvester Stallone and Sharon I was gonna say Stone, but yeah, I was gonna say Stallone, but yeah, Sharon Stone is like a bunch of actors. But the Sharon s it's still yes she it was her ghost actually, But this the one they had this year was what I say, it's in. It was in March, I think, but Tom Cruise was there. He had pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio, like still like a bunch of there was Ryan Gossling on stage. I think the Thunderbolts did a panel, okay, and Disney is like the only There was an article complaining about the fact that Disney is the only one that live streams it because it's extremely uh exclusive, yes to the press and the theater owners. So there's treaders that they do sink to drop now like that Nick Naked Gun trailer came out. Yeah, Jack, Yes, after a debut from that, it's obviously changed a little bit because they'll actually drop stairs. But before, like back in ninety three, they would see stuff before anybody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quick question. You said Tom Cruise was there and he had pictures of leonnauto attach.
Speaker 4: No, sorry, there were pictures of the pictures on their website of Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio. Okay, there, Yeah, I think pictures of video.
Speaker 1: I don't know either you did or didn't, but that's what I heard.
Speaker 4: He was passing out pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 1: He's just signing it. I don't know what he was saying. Would Tom Cruise sign a picture of Leonardo DiCaprio as Tom Cruise or you sign it as Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 4: I mean, all I can think of his Lenning signing his own picture and giving it.
Speaker 1: But I okay, this is completely off topic, but if you ever got a office shop eron, this has been in my brain for twenty years. I am going to do that, like I've been waiting because picture me and it says have a good summer, Joe, And you're gonna put that on your fucking desk.
Speaker 4: So you gotta do it. You gotta do it as a as like an actual like a headshot though yeah yeah, no, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like bad shot. So I'm just saying, like I've kept this a secret forever.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can do it now and we can hang it up. I've never had it, no, I know. I'm just trying to think, like I mean, I I could do yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I think what he's really aiming for is the awkward conversations you have.
Speaker 1: To have with you.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't be awkward for me, Like why is this for other people? Who's this?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Why is this forty year old guicing have a good summer?
Speaker 4: That's uh, that's that's Joe. Yeah, I just don't explain past that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so it basically it's like comic con, but like not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the reason a lot of like especially before, a lot of trailers didn't come out is because they're selling the theater owners. It's not like they.
Speaker 4: Wanted exclusive and yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's also not always like trailer trailers. It's always just like clips from the movies. Yeah, probably ship that's unfinished.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, so I'm assuming it's a lot more finished now though, because if they're gonna yeah yeah, yeah, but yeah, it's a very big event now, but I'm pretty sure it was a smaller scale back in the day because like even comic Con wasn't always like the big announcement event that it is now, right, which I guess no would make sense because superhero movies weren't like a yeah age thing until like movies were not a thing that you got a comic con until like the mid two thousands, Like I guess, well, I guess there was some stuff earlier than that, but it wasn't that was not the point.
Speaker 3: Comic Con really was like just a bunch of comic nerds and that's it. It's very around.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was saying, I've went to one comic con that was two thousand. I probably mentioned this before on the show, but no, Brett and I met san Lee. Hey, so how's it going?
Speaker 4: Could did you Okay?
Speaker 1: That's a different that's a different story. Yeah, we just like cut liners like stand here, like what's this signed for? Like Alford Malina. I'm like, hell cool. It was just like handling. I had no idea who that was. I went out there fucking talked to him like, hey man, big fan. He's like thanks, and he signed a Spider Man two hat and he like gave it to me. I'm like cool. I'm like, I have no idea what this guy is.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh, you mean like a baseball cap that says Spider Man two. I thought you meant you got doc Ox Fedora signed.
Speaker 1: No, he was just like sign and ship or whatever. I didn't know who he was.
Speaker 4: Like your story was like, yeah, we just walked in front of somebody and like, what are they gonna do? Nerds?
Speaker 1: They did that and that was the other thing. We did that in another line too, and they're like, oh, it's for the Hobbits or whatever, like cool, and it was like Elijah Wood and fucking Sam No, no, no, Sean Aston and everything, and like everybody kept like pushing towards the front and those fuckers like like Elijah Wood and kicking Sean Aston. They got they got fucking Sarah. They like left and they were like running and motherfuckers were chasing him. Jesus Christ. They were like, we got to get away from these nerds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Simpsons buy mo on Sci Fiicon.
Speaker 4: It's like the Simpsons.
Speaker 3: Yeah with Luke Skywalker exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right here, never mind, Hey, wait, I thought you was hurt.
Speaker 3: I think about that is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you got you got patus. But I think that was like right on the cusp of being like comic like comics. Yeah, con and then wait, what are they doing everything?
Speaker 4: So were they doing the panels and stuff?
Speaker 3: Obviously they were so like. But the thing is about hall H. Hall H is like the big, big hall and that's where they do all the huge, huge movie releases now but back in the day, there weren't that many huge movie releases, so you might get one or two of those like nowadays. If you go to hall H, Warner Brothers will do a presentation. They'll they'll do like two comic book movies and then they'll just give you a bunch of other ship like a bunch of their other big summer blockbusters. Yeah, like like I saw the mad Max Fury road trailer there. I saw trailers for a bunch of horror movies when I was in there. Yeah, just you know, it's just studios unloading. Yeah, exactly. But back in the day, it's like there was one or two really big panels and then it was just a bunch of you know, bullshit. It was just a bunch of it.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the one time we went.
Speaker 4: I don't remember any panels that obviously, right, so that would have been like Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also you have to like plan to go to the panels. They're not just happening on the on the con floor, so you have to like you have to like get in lines. Yeah, yeah, for hall h you have to, like at least when I was going lines. Yeah, clearly apparently.
Speaker 1: Clearly the way it was a total diigmad It was a total big move by me, But it was just.
Speaker 3: So somebody didn't get to see Elijah Wood and Seawan asked and run away because of you.
Speaker 1: I just like walked up there. I was like I'm standing there and I was like cool.
Speaker 3: It's one last person who got to meet Alfred Molina of Frieda.
Speaker 1: You know, I had that fucking spider Man two hat signman for a long time.
Speaker 4: Somehow it got center yeah at the Big House.
Speaker 1: Somehow it got very moldy, and eventually at some point, like the mold took over the bill which she signed out, and I'm like, this is kind of useless now and I think I just chucked it.
Speaker 4: It's so weird.
Speaker 1: So that's my Alfred show. Hey Alfred, if you're listening, christ well, thank you. Second of all, you know, get on the show. Maybe you give me another hat. I know who you are now, I'm a big fan. Now I was lying in two thousand day, but in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: I know that's no reason to give me a moldy hat exactly.
Speaker 1: Anyways, back on there.
Speaker 4: Okay, So yeah, so show Wes nineteen ninety three was held at Bally's Las Vegas, which I thought, you'm a total fitness Yeah, well there's got to be a gym in there somewhere, Like it's the same company, right.
Speaker 3: I think you're right. I'm not.
Speaker 4: I don't know, or it was the same company. No, I don't know. I think this seems like I swear.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well there's also the pinball company Bally's.
Speaker 3: Just I don't know anything about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, So Columbia hosted a luncheon because that's what they did back then. They did luncheons, So that's what's what I'm saying, Like, I don't think it was nearly as big. So Columbia hosted a luncheon that included Arnold intowing a four minute Last Action YEARLD trailer, and then the Columbia execs hyping it up, saying it's more than just a movie, it's the epitome of a film for the entire global marketplace, which damn, yeah whatever, But yeah, the luncheon part is also why I think it was like a smaller film, which whatever. At least they're consistent with their praise, I guess. Anyway, there were two reasons that brought this up to convention. One has to do with the impact on theaters when it was released, which we'll end up talking about later, which actually forgot to include. We'll get back to it anyway. But the other is how Universal handled their presentation of Jurassic Park, which was basically the complete opposite approach that comb from the way Columbia presented last section Hero. So from what I found, it seems like Jurassic Park wasn't announced as part of Show West, even though Universal did end up holding an event for it. So according to the Chicago Tribune, sorry, so, according to a Chicago Tribune article, instead of holding a luncheon, which I believe was like, like the was anyone can attend those? Like that was okay? Yeah, instead of it holding a luncheon, apparently, Universal rented out one of Bally's suites where they hosted a jungle themed invite only screening shindig of the Jurassic Park trailer for about one hundred exhibitors, which I'm assuming we're the owners of, like the big theater chain. Yeah, and Universe Will reportedly accomplished two things by doing this. One was generating positive buzz for the trailer while also alienating pretty much anyone not invited to the screening, which I'm sure Universe was like, so and yeah, what are they gonna do with not show Jurassic Park? Okay, hey, yeah, I want you to understand, but it's like it's just weird, Like if I'm interesting, how Universal can You continues to show how confident they are that the Jurassic Park is going to be successful without resorting to any of like the boastful bullshit that Co of Columbia was pulling with Last Second Hero, Like confident enough to whard they're actually excluding potential theater owners from trailer screenings because they know they're going to book the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course they're not going to have any choice. You're just they want to make movie. Sorry, if they want to make money during the summer, they're gonna have to play our movie exactly.
Speaker 4: So again, it just ruins me that that mad Men meme taking that wrong way. But still like, I don't think about you it all, dude, Like yeah, So moving on, filming wraps on Last Section Hero either April first, April third, depending on the source, which as I believe that I mentioned before, or which left ten weeks for post production instead of the average And I think it was like according to Google search, was like six months like anywhere with tween weeks. Yeah, so ten weeks what uh and a half? Two and a half months. Yeah. In order to do this, the post production team ended up working six eighteen hour days per week, for ten goddamn weeks Jesus, which I was gonna say was insane, but then it made me curious, like, do you guys think that this consisted of different shifts that didn't stop for eighteen hours, or is it like did each individual person have working eighteen hour shifts six days a week, because, like, each person working eighteen hour shifts six days a week is fucking crazy, especially when you consider the time it takes to wind down after a shift. And I'm curious if, like, although I'm curious if like these like after working a week of these shifts, you're so tired that it's like there's no wind down, Like it's just you just fall fucking asleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, Like there's no way that they wouldn't mention if it was like, yeah, they were working like it was an eighteen hour overall shift. No, it was different people.
Speaker 3: And I think people in film.
Speaker 4: It's like working in The Men in Black, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: No, I think people in film are used to working like that because film is kind of feast or famine. Right, you're either working on a movie or you're not. Yeah, if you're not working on a movie, you're doing nothing and making up the time exactly.
Speaker 4: Working on the movie but uh so yeah. In order in order to relieve stress, Columbia reportedly hired an in house messus, which just reminded me of like the half assed gestures that they pull out restaurants when they're trying to They're like, you know, you're working on Christmas, even though you requested it off. But it's okay because we bought you guys costco pizza, because.
Speaker 3: We allowed you guys to have a pot luck in the break.
Speaker 4: Crew exactly, it only costs us nine dollars, Like yeah, but.
Speaker 1: We like, you can't use any of ourse civil rhythm yeahs money to actually wash whoa.
Speaker 4: You know you're not supposed to drinking soda, okay, Jesus, isn't that like I don't we're allowed to open the apple juice is at the restaurant Erica. I don't know, something like that, but the apple just were like actually like tree top apple juices that you would have to like, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Martin Elly.
Speaker 6: They got upset about the waters with somebody one time too, and I was like, it's the sawny nobody wants to drink. You'd rather drink the tap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, drinking because I'm desperate, right, Like I quickly looked it up.
Speaker 1: Bally's, Bally Total Fitness, Bally's Slash Midway, the Pinball Company, and Bally's Betting are all kind of related. They've all been kind of uh, exchange hands over and over and over, but they're not like separate like like other.
Speaker 4: It's not the same company though.
Speaker 1: It's not, but they're all It's like, uh, it.
Speaker 3: Might be a situation where one company was split into three parts, like three.
Speaker 1: Divisions, not necessarily that. It's kind of like, you know a couple of people who'se L his name is Smith.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, like they're related.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean his father and son.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like I see, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 4: Anyways, So, for some for some reason, about halfway through post production, Columbia Pictures, specifically Mark Canton, watched the movie and decided that even though they hadn't finished the film's score, or finished the special effects for the action scenes or finished dubbing it yet, which made a lot of the dialogue impossible to understand, despite all that, Mark cann was like, Hey, let's have a test screening. Like it was so unfinished that even Arnold later admitted that the movie was quote shown in the roughest form I've ever seen a movie screen Jesus. So they were really setting themselves up for success on that one. Yeah, yeah, so on May.
Speaker 3: First, the worst version of this movie you could possibly see? What are your notes?
Speaker 4: So on me? On May first, nineteen ninety three, they held a screening just north of Long Beach in Lakewood, California, and in addition to John McK tiernan and Arnold, Columbia's top executives were also in attendance. A research firm filled the one thousand seat theater, which is that is that a gigantic theater.
Speaker 3: That's a big theater.
Speaker 4: I think that's like a that's like that iMX theater. That's got to be close to Yeah, I think so Okay, Yeah, they filled it with an audience that was unaware of what film they'd be watching, which I'm pretty sure is how it always works with test audiences, right, Like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to know an advantage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I sent up for a thing where you can be a part of a test audience and the only info they give you before him is what type of movie it's going to be, and I think maybe the potential rating, like I know, if it ended up going to Wicked, but I think she first she's like, I don't know if it's gonna be Wicked or movefasa.
Speaker 3: So it was just like family movie, yeah or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did that at SS State in like two thousand and six, and it was like a kind of it was like an American idol type thing. I don't know, I don't remember. It was like a I mean, this is nineteen years ago. I don't remember. It was like a satire on it or like a trying to capitalize.
Speaker 3: Wait, like, oh, you mean the movie was about like an American idol context. So I remember what was that called.
Speaker 4: I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Speaker 1: There was, yeah, but that that see that might have been a different or it just came out many years later. I don't know. I'll have to look it up. But there was like there was one with fucking Andy Samberg that came out like a couple.
Speaker 3: Oh that was with it was a top star not pop star?
Speaker 1: Was it was not that the comedy the hot Rod movie, yes, Hot Rods, the Hot Red movie yes, No, is that what it's called? Hot Rod? Hot Rod?
Speaker 4: Yes, I have seen that. I heard it's good too.
Speaker 3: No, it was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't one of those. It was something else.
Speaker 3: That other stuff is an Andy Samberg movie.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying it is not the Andy Samberg So.
Speaker 4: It was kind of like pop Star, but it wasn't Pop.
Speaker 1: America exactly American Dream that I was thinking, I'm sorry that come out.
Speaker 3: That was two thousand and six, April two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: Okay, then it was probably that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good movie.
Speaker 4: Huh. I've never seen it, obviously, I can remember that I've seen it, and I watched test screen and it was so you gave it up? Eh? I mean, did you scorecards?
Speaker 1: I don't remember. This was nineteen years ago. They're barking up the wrong fucking bush like a bunch of fucking like early twenties, jaded, fucking San Francisco State kids are not going to go fuck about that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, According to the Nancy Griffith Bookitt and Run, the test audience started hooting and hollering with excitement once it was announced that they'd be watching armed Schwarzenegger movie. Unfortunately, the excitement didn't last long once, they wouldn't say exactly how incomplete the movie was, with the book saying that the audience started becoming bored about halfway through it, and by the third act, when Danny and Slater cross over into the real real world, the audience was basically sitting there in a catatonic state Jesus, with one person later saying, quote, the movie lay there like a big fried egg unquote, And I know that's supposed to be like it sounds like it's not supposed to be a good thing. But I love like Fridays, Like you get a couple of slices of toast, some hash brands pole with a hot sauce. Baby got a breakfast going like sounds good to me. But I get that's not supposed to be good, like a big fried egg.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know because.
Speaker 6: I'm like a Friday egg. What did you add it to?
Speaker 4: Because when you said you had Friday, like I had a Friday this morning, I was like, oh that sounds yeah.
Speaker 6: You just you just you just took me back to breakfast right now, and I was like, oh, that was a good breakfast.
Speaker 1: I mean shit, I can't wait till Laura fucking heres this episode, because good lord, that woman has been obsessed with that's my wife obsessed with eggs recently. Like it's a whole thing where I'm like, I'm going to the store, don't fucking don't say it, don't fucking say it, get eggs, and I buy eggs and then like three days later, I'm like an egg they're all fucking higher bolt or eating. That woman's just obsessed with eggs now.
Speaker 4: It's all where she's just like hard boiling them then like eating them.
Speaker 1: Well okay, ship, Well she's very so she doesn't heart boil them. It's medium boiled at best, but she's just like.
Speaker 4: Wait medium, how does that does it leave? Like the egg run? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the oak's a little running, so it's good in like ramin and stuff. But okay, that woman's just been fucking obsessed with eggs like the last like three months. Of course that's when the prices go up. So I marry.
Speaker 6: There's a song from Lamb before Time too that I gotta send you.
Speaker 1: Is like, yeah, forbidden Fruit.
Speaker 6: It's just about eggs.
Speaker 4: So it's okay, do you guys do like eggs salad? Because I like eggs salad.
Speaker 1: No, Chris, No, I like eggs pretty much.
Speaker 4: Every way, but your head down to your legs. That was the something from the nineties.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Good it's stupids it your head down to your legs.
Speaker 4: I like eggs from my head down.
Speaker 3: To my legs, all right.
Speaker 1: No, anyway, speaking of eggs, I had a conversation yesterday. My friend was drinking some water and then started choking. I'm like, yeah, who's fucking dumb? This is why God doesn't exist, because like, uh, you know, whose fucking idea was to have like the the drinking hole in the breathing hole in the same place in your throat? And he was like, yeah, I saw some like TikTok of like, uh you know whose idea was to have the balls on the outside. And I'm like, yeah, that's dumb. It's like elephants don't have that. I'm like, yeah, but elephants could, like they have a trunk, they could just like go and like suck their own balls with their trunk. So why so maybe that is a proof of God. Maybe God doesn't want you to fucking suck your own balls because elephants gonulna be doing all day. But their balls are on the inside, so it kind of it kind of shook my world.
Speaker 3: That's that line from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's a dogs, No, it's Jack McBrayer is having trouble having sex with his wife on their honeymoon, and he's like, I just don't understand why God would put a playground next to a sanitation.
Speaker 4: Dump or something. Well that the whole thing with that makes like anytime anyone mentions evolution for some reason, my mind goes to, like, yeah, that makes sense because like your butthole is like exactly the way it should be because like imagine like it has to be exactly that tight but exactly able to do what it does, because otherwise you'd have to buy a plug.
Speaker 8: For it, because they'd be like we're gonna start thinking, like they'd be this whole industry of like plugs that you have to buy, like, oh, I just bought a plug like for it, like check out this new plug that I got, the new plug or whatever.
Speaker 4: Just like because it's not tight enough. So like like it's the weirdest thing because every time I think it, then I started thinking about, like, man, what you don't tell people this? It is fucking weird. Don't tell people this, well, I will tell you this.
Speaker 1: You've never been in the dead sea, because.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: You're in there, you you're pure clenched that whole time because that salt water will get into your buttle super fast.
Speaker 4: Wait, so really you can you does it just hurt?
Speaker 1: It just it's just it like you know, the ocean, the ocean salty, like the ocean salty, but fucking dead sea is like fucking the ocean's a little bitch like float yeah, super EASi, so much like I don't think anybody's ever drowned in the dead sea before because like I don't think that's possible because it's fucking super salty. But you have to like clench your.
Speaker 3: You're just saying, the salt gets everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's coarse, it's but yeah, I'm just saying like I'm just saying, like you're living your life. You're like, you don't have to worry about everything getting in there. You don't need to worry about the best loose butthole line exactly. But then you go on the dead sea, You're like, fuck, maybe I do need a butt plug. I mean not for the usual reasons people need butt plugs. Yeah, I should do cake, yeah, shit, saying it's it's rough out there, man.
Speaker 4: So another audience member reportedly said quote, I don't want to see arm being dragged down to where he's helpless like that. He's standing there talking about the boys father's death and the rain. It's very upsetting. And I suppose I guess we have heard it. Thank for that scene being cut that we watched, although I yes, like I think I said it before, but that scenees just what has slowed the pace of the film way down. Yeah, and I'd love to give you guys more a few more reviews, but unfortunately, in an attempt to prevent low test scores from leaking to the press, Mark Kinton had the audience report cards collected before the research company could get them, and then later had them.
Speaker 3: Shredded and then barry in the desert next to ET's all those et video games.
Speaker 4: So, in addition to not wanting the scores leaked, Ken also did this in order to prevent Schwarzenegger or McTiernan from finding out about them due to their already tight schedule, later explaining saying like quote, I didn't want the director who had literally literally been working eighteen hour days or and our star to come up with fourty more ideas that would take three weeks. We didn't have three weeks. So when did the Shredder?
Speaker 1: They went, yeah, Mark, Mark Kenton's the reason this movie.
Speaker 4: Like what you were saying, like what was earlier? Like a guy that like I don't know anyway, So after the screening, Arnold mc ternan and the Columbia executives ended up having an emergency meeting at Shatzi on his restaurant. Of course, they all agreed that the reshoots needed to be done for the third act, but according to the book, it was understandably tough to judge what did and didn't work because the movie had been shown in such a rough form, which is what I don't understand about doing the whole thing. But okay, anyway, when we finished the meeting, thing real fast before I start pitching about stuff. But so yeah, before the meeting ended, Schwarzenegger McTiernan once again brought up the possibility of pushing back the release date in order to allow for like proper time for reshoots and any any sort of like fine tuning that the movie might need. Of course, Can once again shot them down, saying that postponing the release date would make it seem like the film was in trouble, with John mcinernan later saying of the studio's decision to stick with the June eighteenth release date, quote, the studio folks assured us that the movie was more likely to make money this way, that the amount of money that the studio would see would decrease by ten million per week for each week of the summer that you cut off. I'm not about to argue with things like that, unquote. And yeah, so like you can definitely start to understand like why he's like, yeah, like this is never happening again. Yeah, fucking bug him, bug him like with roller Wall, because like he just I don't know it. And something that sucks is that just a lot of it gets put on him and I don't know. But anyway, So the thing I don't understand about all this is like, what was the point of having the test screening then, because there obviously wasn't enough time to really do any of the stuff that you might usually do as a result of a poor test screening, Like the only thing I could think of is that Mark Canton was just like that delusional about how like about showing like a super rough cut of the film would go Yeah, Like maybe he was just like a like completely confident that it would go well and was then counting on that to generate positive like word of mouth basically about the movie.
Speaker 3: I don't know, maybe where they.
Speaker 6: Were running out of that, like they're running out of time to get it done and.
Speaker 4: Just but there's no point of doing like to doing to do a.
Speaker 6: Help test s green it helps them decide on cutting.
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't because you can't do anything about it.
Speaker 3: Though he wanted his biases confirmed, like that's what he wanted, that it was good. Yeah, exactly, but he wanted to hear from a bunch of people. He needs his ego stroked.
Speaker 4: And it's been too long since I get that, Like, like I would get the cutting thing, but like you can cut little tiny stuff, but like the stuff that they were seeing was a whole third act thing. I don't know, Like you already know the media is gunning for your movie. Why would you show a version of it that's so unfinished that people can't understand the dialogue? Like it's just a movie full of bane from the Dark Knight Rises just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, I'm sorry, you just got me upset.
Speaker 4: Like Chris, I'm seriously starting to think like Mark Canton had only seen he's only seen six movies before last year, that might actually be true. It's just this the Bonfard of the Vanities and like the first four places Academy movies, and that's it, that's always seen. Yeah, I don't know, Like almost every choice of the studio made for this movie is just fucking baffling to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah that yes, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it is like I I was alive and I was a Schwarzenegger fan back then, but I was a child. I didn't understand like studios and white things are bombs and everything, and like as I've discussed spending many times in this talking about this movie, and other times I'm just like I just don't get it. I don't know why this wasn't the ship because it's the ship. Yeah, But now like I'm I'm realizing this fucking Mark Head and guy in the studio interference is just like totally kind of fucking everything up and a joke out of it, and it's like it's already a joke. The whole fucking movie is a joke.
Speaker 3: You don't need to make.
Speaker 1: A joke out of a joke.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not even I just figured.
Speaker 6: I just figured the audience like I was like, man, everybody was just stupid in nineteen ninety three, like they just didn't get it.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well no, true. I mean technically, Samruanci Sisti.
Speaker 4: Professor, like Erica didn't mean to like cut you off with what you were saying. As far as like that, no, no, as far as like the test screen, like you do usually do that, but when you put it out in that rough of a form, it's, like the book was saying, it's fucking hard. You can't tell what doesn't work.
Speaker 3: So like if you're like also, you know, you're still gonna make a bunch of changes to it, like again to the point, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, because that's what you usually do, you uh. What ic was saying, you fix the stuff that they're not laughing at. But if they can't understand the dialogue, they're not laughing. But the book even said like they were still kind of optimistic about it. So once we fix the dialog a little bit and whatever, like the jokes will start landing, which I'm sure was true. Yeah, but still, like, what was the fucking point of the of the I don't know, no clue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like when you show you don't show it to a test outings, you show it to other like, uh, people in your industry.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like your fucking fifteen minute county sketch. You know, you're fucking like your song or whatever. You're like, oh, you know it would be tight if you added like a banjo here or whatever like that. That's the shit that you need. You know, you don't want to like like it, Go find your favorite band and go like on fucking YouTube or YouTube music or Spotify and listen to like rough Cut, like even the that was like yeah, the rough Cut shit, and you're like, or the fucking demo like this sounds like dog.
Speaker 4: Listen to some like the the biggest one I can think of off dub my head is, uh want the Spice girls want to be listen to the demo of that.
Speaker 1: It sounds like shit. I mean I don't know that, but.
Speaker 4: Well no, it's it's it doesn't have I was reading about it and that's all I know. Like the last person that tweeked it put the like the hook into it. So if you listen to an old demo of it, it's just like the song is like it's not it wouldn't have yeah anyway, Okay, So of course the media finds out about the screening, with Variety reporting a few days later that Columbia marketing guru said Gainess said that the audience reaction was absolutely sensational, adding quote, we now know that last section Hero is not only on target for opening day, but also that it's headed towards bullseye unquote. So yeah, they've decided to lie about it, and that makes sense whatever, Like, if you don't want anyone thinking that the movie's in trouble, well, if they're gonna lie about how the screening went, they might as well keep it up when asked about the audience test numbers. You're right, Like, as long as the lies that they make are somewhat believable, no one should catch on, right exactly. Yeah, well that might have worked, but unfortunately they talked to Mark Canton. He did them no favors, but obviously lying when asked about the audience numbers of the test screen. Does anyone want to take a guest as to like, what kind of lie he told? How he lied about it?
Speaker 3: It was so good. Everyone in the theater died. They just all died. They all had heart attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we didn't get scores from everybody, but the scores we got were very high because he's a partial lush because what sty scores? It was a count thing.
Speaker 4: That's that's actually kind of close, Joe, Joe are very close.
Speaker 3: Good on you, Joe, thinking like a white color criminal.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the official word from Columbia slash Canton where there there were no numbers, man, no numbers. They didn't actually click any because apparently they hailed a test screen just for funzies. Yep, they't colick numbers. There were no numbers at all. We don't believe in scores. Didn't collect numbers.
Speaker 1: Score cards working for the movie name.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. Like Joe got closest because I was like, it's actually kind of close. Didn't collect any numbers. When asked by Entertainment wikly.
Speaker 1: About it, they tried to hand it to us, but they fell right in the trash.
Speaker 4: It was our fault.
Speaker 1: We had guys with Cyril PARSI harzy, they couldn't fucking rip it. You know, we're out here, reach out of the community, and shit not our fault.
Speaker 4: When when asked by Entertainment Weekly about it, Canton told them, quote, the truth is, I purposely had no screen numbers done. I had my assistants take the cards, file the cards, and never add them up. It's the same thing we did with Batman at Warrener Brothers. Because I knew that even if we scored a ninety, someone would say it was a ten. And sure enough I heard Action Hero was seventy eight, or it was forty eight, or it was thirty eight. So I kind of laugh when I hear the numbers. It is the ultimate irony of how low people will go. We'll go unquote and holy fucking fucking he like, how does this motherfucker? Like how did he get as high as he did? The holy fuck Like, how the hell do you think anyone's gonna believe that? So Mark Canton, Yes, Mark Canton, which he just didn't even end his career at Columbia. He was there for another few years and then getting fired and he moved to somewhere else in like of course, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they always get a job again.
Speaker 4: So reshoots begin in early May nineteen ninety three, with the media, of course, claiming that the movie was in trouble because of the fact they're doing reshoots, although Columbia assured them that they do reshoots with the like on most of their movies, which I know is true now. I'm not sure if it's true back then, but if it is true, there's no way that the media didn't already know that. And so at this point it just seems like they're just like, fuck this movie, Like, yeah, this guy's fucking lying to us, Like obviously, no, fuck this movie, Like yeah, yeah for sure, no, no numbers, Okay, yeah, what are you guys doing reshoots? They're doing reshoots anyway, Like I'm not sure if it was the thing like as like, because I know it's like especially for action movies.
Speaker 3: I think, like, yeah, yeah, it's just built in now. Yeah, they know they're going to do reshoots.
Speaker 6: Pause, Yes, they're doing reshoots in May. When does this come out?
Speaker 4: June eighteenth. They're doing reshoots in early May, and they're editing it. Post production is happening at the same time. Anyway. Entertainment Weekly ended up covering the reshoots and got a couple of good quotes from both Arnold and McTiernan with McInerny and telling them, quote, they did reshoots for Terminator just two weeks before it came out. It's become a part of making making an Arnold movie. He's like a physical trainer, always pushing.
Speaker 3: Do you want more rep?
Speaker 4: Do want more rep? You can do it? Unquote?
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then Arnold's quote concerning the rumors surrounding the film is just great with him telling Entertainment Weekly quote, every movie I've done, there's always a buzz about how it is over budget, how it wouldn't come out on time, and how was a disaster. That's because everyone in this town is jealous of the next guy. They're all a bunch of jail's bitches sitting around saying, I hope he takes a dive. What do you think I've been hearing about Spielberg's picture the most hideous things unquote. But I love the sassiness of that quote. Yeah, that wasn't you. No, No, they're all a bunch of around saying I hope he takes a dive.
Speaker 6: That sounds like you though, Erdavid.
Speaker 4: Weekly also talk to them about the test s grunning, with the magazine claiming that they were told by attending audience members that last action was quote off the mark juvenile and my personal favorite will I Wonka with guns, which it just sounds awesome.
Speaker 3: That doesn't Yeah that, guys, I've got a movie idea.
Speaker 6: That would make that movie ten times better. Yeah, let me tell you, especially if it was like a chocolate gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, there's so many possibilities.
Speaker 1: Or a gun made out of bullet, say spray chocolate, a.
Speaker 6: Gun like gushers, like gushers.
Speaker 3: Oh, I asked some gushers, and oh yeah, the gushers are like trenations are.
Speaker 4: Good and gross at the same time.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're not good, They're just gross.
Speaker 1: They're kind of gross.
Speaker 4: Well, at least Arnold wasn't like at least he was smart enough not to give some stupid at fuck lie that like Mark Kanton did, and he also managed to make his life someone entertaining. When asked about the yeah, yeah, yeah, I've asked about the h the test screening, he said, quote, we had a test running. The audience reaction was fantastic through the roof, but there were some people, maybe a few seventeen year old girls, who said.
Speaker 1: Who said that I should say that, yes says, but.
Speaker 4: There was some speaches. There were some people, maybe a few seventeen year old girls, who said they wish there were one or two more action scenes. When you had the word action in the title, and when you see me on screen, people have certain expectations. It's just one of those things. So we figured, why not shoot the scene. So yeah, they did the reshoots, all right, and we're gonna stop right there, but join us next week to find out how last section Hero did during its opening weekend, as well as all the dumb ways that the studio tried to course correct it's marketing campaign. Oh and by the way, I know we always say join us next week and then we don't end up releasing a new episode for like a few weeks after that. But we just finished recording and editing the next few episodes, so the next one actually will one be released next week. And yeah, apologies that we've had such a super delayed release schedule, like with these episodes. Everything's been a bit crazy lately and I've just been slacking big time. Anyway, As always, thanks so much for listening, and please don't forget to leave us a rating and review on either Apple podcast or Spotify. It's a perfect place to give us a five star writing while also complaining about our really release schedule. Anyway, Thanks again and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: If you enjoy our show, please consider giving us a positive review on Apple Podcasts or your podcast.
Speaker 1: App of choice.
Speaker 3: You can follow us on Twitter and Instagram at the potty Richter to make sure you never miss an episode. See you at the Potty Richter is a production of tape Deck Media. Follow tape Deck on Instagram at tape Deck Underscore Media, or look us up on Facebook for more hilarious podcasts.
Speaker 6: This has been a tape Deck Media production. Thank you for listening.