Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started at the five o'clock hour here on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Thanks for hanging with us.
Speaker 2: Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery with you, taking you up until six o'clock, Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. I haven't put anything together yet as far as wagers, but man a lot to choose from when it comes to college basketball. And I started the show by mentioning that as a college basketball super fan, a real dork for the sport, this is where I really start to try to really take it all in and not take for granted this special time of the season where you've got college basketball on really more than it ever is, right, I mean, when the Super Bowl comes to an end on Sunday, I mean, the NFL is still going to be the most talked about thing in sports. But that's really where college basketball has got a chance to kind of, you know, emerge and remind people, hey, we're here and we've got March maddness coming your way. But I mean, I watch college basketball any chance I get November, even when the.
Speaker 3: Early games happened.
Speaker 2: So tonight's one of those nights where I'm looking at the matchups out there Perdue Iowa. I mean, if Kentucky and ole Miss, that should be a great game. To be honest with you, I'm not necessarily you know, I would prefer ole Miss win, but you know, wouldn't be shocked if Kentucky does get the dub. But either way, like that's a big matchup, two top twenty five teams. Ole Miss on hosting. Chris Beard obviously has done a good job since he's been there. Marquette Saint John's should be a really good game. I hate that it starts at six thirty. That's kind of weird. So again, a lot of good games on tonight. I'm gonna watch as many of them as I can and not bet on them as far as you know, all of them, but bet on some and hopefully I'll get lucky. And and when I've had I've had some decent momentum in the last couple of weeks, I'm not you know, crushing it by any means, but I'm having more success than I've had at any.
Speaker 3: Point in the year.
Speaker 2: And that's usually what happens with me when it comes to betting on college college basketball. But anyways, Louisville and Action tomorrow taken on Boston College, I have no reason to think they won't bounce back. They're gonna play a really bad team, and they've done a good job against really bad teams, you know, other than the slip up they had against Georgia Tech. So I have no reason to think that Boston Kyle is going to be able to beat them. But well, they can. We all know that it could happen. It's just I think what makes me, I guess more humble as a fan of this Louisville team, meaning I've got a lot of confidence in them.
Speaker 3: I love watching them play.
Speaker 2: I feel like when they've got it rolling and they're they're clicking, and you know what I mean when I say that, right, they've got you know that they're they're playing well defensively, they're you know, getting loose for threes in transition. Like that's where I think this team could not only you know, be good, maybe be dangerous for some teams when you get to the NAA tournament. So like I believe that and I really have for a while now, even with the setback to Georgia Tech.
Speaker 3: However, when it comes to.
Speaker 2: You know, the loss to to Georgia Tech, I mean, again, it doesn't change what I think this team can do. But again I guess more than anything, that's a reminder that they can slip up and lose to bad teams and that you shouldn't just take any I mean, I really felt like against against Georgia Tech, that was the first time, really, you know, maybe the first time this year an ACC play where I really felt like insanely confident, and not just because Louislle was on a ten game winning streak and playing really well, but because Georgia Tech wasn't very good. But they got hot, made some big shots, and you know, they gave Louisville their first loss and over a month in ten games in fact, so I guess Boston College could do that.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just I feel like this team will bounce back. I think they you know, they realized for the first time this year they had a dud. They went out I mean, they've had some bad games, but they were either too you know, really good teams to where they know they didn't play well and they got embarrassed in some of them, like Old miss and you know Tennessee. But you know, again that was early and earlier in the season, and those are really good teams. And they've had some other games like Utep and Eku where they slipped up and you know, nearly lost, but they won and that matters, right, you find a way to win. But this is the real outlier on your resume at this point, a loss to a team that you know you shouldn't have lost to. It happens, right, So I'm checking to see it doesn't look like we have an update. We don't have a spread that I can see at at Draft Kings, but I'm curious if there's one at FanDuel because I would imagine they'll be double digit favorites. But then again, they weren't double digit favorites at Georgia Tech, and sure enough they ended up losing out right. But let me see, does FanDuel have anything for us yet? They usually get the spread? Yeah, fan duel has uh has a line for us here as I as I look and the cards are favored about thirteen and a half. Again, that speaks to how bad Boston College actually is. All right, if you guys want to give us a call, you can five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number, and you can also text in on the ellen n Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com and in the number is five O two six five three zero seven ninety. Let's go to Jerry, who joins us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. What's happening to Jerry?
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 2: Nick?
Speaker 4: I got a few Fly Williams stories for you, Okay, as as I have told you in the past. I don't know if you recall I was raised a Hilltopper, but I live in Louisville, so you know, also a Louisville fan, but my dad raised me a Hilltopper. And in nineteen seventy, Yeah, that was when.
Speaker 2: They were in there, right like that was a that was kind of when they kind of made their mark.
Speaker 4: Yes, and well, and you know Western went to the final four and seventy one. We'll rehash all that then. You know, all the kids that started on that team were from Kentucky, which was pretty rare at the time. But that's what made me so familiar with Austin p and Fly Williams. Fly Williams, I recall I watched I watched his h them getting knocked out of the NCAA tournament in nineteen seventy three. They lost Kentucky in overtime one o six to one hundred. It was played in Vandy's gym uh in Memorial College a Memorial Auditorium or whatever that I think it's Memorial Auditorium down there, and uh, it was a hell of a game. Fly I had about thirty points, uh give or take, and uh, you know, it was just a heck of a game. Interesting because the guy that coached Fly, the head coach, was named Lake Kelly. Lke Kelly and Leonard Hamilton were both on that bench, and they both ended up at UK on their bench, you know, and they coached against joeby Hall that day. So I don't know who was at Kentucky first, whether it was Lake Kelly or Leonard Hamilton, but they both eventually coached for Joe B. Hall and it might have had something to do with that game. He maybe can impress them. They they lost one six to one hundred in overtime. Fly Williams had a hell of a game. He was a hell of a player.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: People talk about different people, Steve Amy, like Milt Wagner, people like that, how many points would they have had if there'd have been a three point shot, et cetera, et cetera. The same. You know Pete Marrivich. They say that about Pete. Thing could be said for Fly Williams. He took a lot of deep shots when it was only worth two points. And like I said, he was a hell of a player.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven and a half points per game as as a sophomore, and scored fifty one points twice as a freshman.
Speaker 4: Right, he was a He was just a nice player. There's one story, and I can't recall it well. While people were recruiting him or he did this at Austin p but there was one time where he took like a corner shot. He was fading toward the out of bounds and he just stumbled on out into the lobby and got a drink out of the water fountain and then got back in the game. That's the kind of player he was. And he ended up in the ABA, which was you know only that's it was the perfect spot for him. I think he played for Saint Louis Spirits years later and and I don't know, you know, what caused him to get out of it, But like I said, good memories. Hell of a player, really nice player, and he was a you know, he was one of those guys back then, you know, it was it was a little different, and they, you know, you had these guys that could average you know, twenty nine. You know, I watched Austin Carr play for Notre Dame. He he averaged big numbers. Of course, pistol pete. Fly Williams was another one, you know, And but anyway, it's it's sort of interesting that his coach and Leonard Hamilton ended up at Kentucky years down the road. That's all I got.
Speaker 3: Jerry, appreciate it, man, Good to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Yes, So, Fly Williams a name a lot of basketball fans know. Obviously he played along he played long before I was around. But first of all, it's a very memorable name because it's a cool name. Fly Williams, but he was He was brought up because Leonard Hamilton, who's retiring at the end of the season, gonna step down. He shared a story that we played in the Four o'clock Hour about when he recruited Fly Williams. He was in New York City, unfamiliar of course with New York City. He's twenty three years old, a young assistant coach, and he's waiting at Fly Williams's home with his mother, waiting for Fly Williams to get home. And he never came home, and he ended up having to he changed the clocks back two three hours to where his mom didn't get you know, didn't didn't you know, I guess kick him out and say, hey, you got to go, it's getting late.
Speaker 3: But anyways, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: The the that era of basketball. That's something that I often forget about just because I wasn't around. But dudes, who who missed out on a three point line? Like, there's certain guys that I'm sure at that point, I mean, the game was a lot different, but still there were deep I mean there were deep threes. Deep shots, I should say, they're not threes that you know, there may be certain guys that like barely missed out on the one thousand point club at their school, but if they would have had a three point line, they would have been there. So anyways, so the super Bowl is now five days away. We talked a little bit a little bit earlier about just the storylines that are out there. We talked about the officiating and how the NFL officials have who was it the guy who I guess is in charge of the NFL officials put out a memo claiming that it's you know, basically, they're offended that people think that the officials are conspiring and whatnot.
Speaker 3: And look that is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how many people truly believe that the officials get together and are told by Roger Goodell, but they got to do whatever they can to make sure that the Chiefs end up winning and Patrick Mahomes doesn't get hit. Because I think people say that just jokingly, but also so putting on a release.
Speaker 3: I mean, some would say that that might make you look guilty.
Speaker 2: I again, I'm not going down the path of thinking that the NFL is rigged or anything like that, but I think because of how much it's been talked about, it, and I guess just how much people hate the Chiefs. There are people that truly believe that this is all some sham and it's you know, a work and I don't believe it. But some other storylines. When it comes to this matchup in the Super Bowl, I doubt they just blow it up. But Nick Sirianni and Jalen Hurts, I mean they've gotten They've gotten back to the Super Bowl here and you know, winning when you get here is you know, much easier said than done. I mean, getting to the super Bowl is much easier said than done. But this would be huge for their I mean, you don't again, you don't blow it up, but you got to think if you get back again, that's where pressure starts to kind of mount, because wouldn't be as shocker if they lose to the Chiefs and then we get the I mean, let's be real, we wouldn't want it. But whul anybody be surprised that next year it's the Eagles and the Chiefs again. I mean, I'm not predicting that, but we can and say we'd be stunned because you know, I don't see any of these guys, you know, being true. I mean, you know, you never know what's gonna happen in the offseason. But I think some GMS get a little worried that, Okay, we've we've been right here, this has been our window.
Speaker 3: Why hasn't it happened yet?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Why haven't we broke through? Maybe we need to Maybe we need to blow it up and start over. I mean, you got a lot better with Sewon Barkley. Jalen Hurts has been a good enough quarterback, has been a good quarterback. He just hasn't you know, like he's he's not gonna put up crazy. He actually does pretty good numbers for like fantasy football, but he's somebody that is consistent, doesn't make mistakes, and can and can do what you need him to do as.
Speaker 3: A quarterback for your team to win.
Speaker 2: Their defense has been really good this year, so if they come up short, it could easily just be that, you know, what are you going to do? You ran into a dynasty called the Kansas City Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes, so wouldn't be a shocker to see him run it back. But again, there have been some times where when they see that window starting to close even a little bit, they'll they'll go back to, you know, not starting over, but trying to figure out which piece they need to add. Maybe they get rid of of a nice asset to their roster because they feel like they're lacking in a different area. So you never know, but it would be huge. I mean, I think a lot of the attention would be on Wow, I'm so glad the Chiefs loss, because it does feel like if you're not a Chiefs fan and you're not in Kansas City, you're not a diehard, then you're probably hoping the Eagles win. At least that's the way it seems. So that would be like it would be an upset, It would be a surprise and people would be happy. But then when you shift attention to the Eagles, it would be pretty impressive. They would be the ones that kind of dethroned this Chief's dynasty. I mean, doesn't mean they'd be over and done with, but I think Jalen Hurts has got a chance to kind of put himself not in the tier of man, this guy's one of the best to ever do it. But he's been successful since he's been it in the NFL, and this is the second time he's won his Conference and if he's able to outlast I mean, look, let's be real, he could play decent, Mahomes play great, But if the Eagles win, there's gonna be a whole lot of love giving the Jalen Hurts because that's just how this works.
Speaker 6: And they'd be the only people besides Tom Brady to beat them in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I have I have really really been a fan of Jalen Hurts for a long time. Not because like I think he's some phenomenal player that you know, once in a lifetime kind of talent. He's a very talented guy. But to me, he is somebody that can claim despite being a highly regarded recruit that played for you know, Nick Saban and Alabama, he has always kind of been doubted because he wasn't you know, he wasn't flashy, so.
Speaker 5: He got benched for Tua.
Speaker 2: Yeah he I mean he was at Bama winning national championship or did he win two?
Speaker 6: I think he think he won the first one and that I think I think he won too, and then Tua won one and I think he came in. No, by the time he came in, he'd done transferred to Oklahoma, correct.
Speaker 2: No, Tua and him were were sharing reps. Okay, because I remember when louisvill played Bama down in Orlando, Tua was the starter and then they put Hurts in. I think is how it worked. Maybe it was the other way around, but like he got benched in the National Championship game after he was already a very successful quarterback at Alabama. Yeah, and they put two a end too. Of course, you know does what he does, and yet he handled himself. This is where I really became a fan of him because I remember thinking to myself, this guy is twenty one years old, maybe younger than that, maybe twenty and he on live television in the National Championship game for Alabama, got benched for a freshman, and I believed him when he was celebrating with his team, And I feel like to have the maturity in the professionalism in that moment like that, that that's something I'll always remember because I don't you could be a phenomenal human being and really have a hard time showing that you're frustrated that you're not able to play.
Speaker 5: So those things that make you as a player too.
Speaker 2: So then he came back the next year and they split duties and sure enough to a got hurt because he always got hurt. Still always gets hurt, it seems. And he came in in a game I think it might have been against Georgia in the SEC Championship maybe, or maybe it was you know, a regular I think it was the SEC Championship game and Hurts who'd been benched, but clearly still you know there, he came in, made some big plays for him and they won. So then he goes to Oklahoma and you know, puts up insane numbers and Oklahoma makes the playoff and what do people say, Well, you know, he's still not very good. He's just a product of Lincoln Riley. So he ends up getting drafted in the second round by the Eagles. Eagles fans hate the pick, lost their mind. Yeah, and what does he do? He ends up becoming their starter and he led them to a super Bowl not once, but now twice. Like this guy has And I'm not saying everybody's wrong and that he's this, you know, he's got this, you know, surgical accuracy. That's just you know, something we've never seen before. But he's been doubted as a guy who had a lot going for him early on, and all he's done is win and last I checked. That's what a quarterback is supposed to do, right, Like, you got to be able to make plays, and he certainly does that. But he's consistent, he's a leader, and I've always kind of been a bad of him. I wish he didn't play for the Eagles because the Eagles, to be are kind of an easy team to dislike.
Speaker 3: But I'll be pulling for him on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Noe, no forget is his coach a super Bowl winning coach.
Speaker 6: Doug Peterson was more or less kind of sticking up just to have Carson Wentz come back and run the team because I remember when they when they made Carson Wentz was having again JIMVP season.
Speaker 2: Jalen Hurts has made has made me kind of forget about that era, right, like, because they they got back to a super Bowl rather quickly, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, mean sure in a few years.
Speaker 2: In a few years, they were right back in the super Bowl with a new quarterback. And you know what a random super Bowl Nick Foles had, right, Oh my gosh, I mean that that's that's got to be one of the most random things that's ever happened.
Speaker 3: In the NFL.
Speaker 6: I just remember watching because I lived in Arizona all my life, and I remember watching an Arizona game with Nick Foles and they were talking about like it was a senior year and they were talking about, you know, what he can do in the NFL. And they had like his little pitcher and he looks like Napoleon Dynamite, right, And I'm sitting there looking at this guy, Nick Foles, and I'm like, what's this I ever gonna do? You know, it's Arizona. You know, they're not like a breeding ground for NFL talent. Oh what do you know?
Speaker 2: He ends up getting in the I mean, I forgot. And again this is just my memory being bad. I guess he was already in Philadelphia for his first stint in the league, where he was playing for Chip Kelly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he was really good there, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then it kind of fell apart that he ends up with the Rams the Chiefs, and then back with the Eagles. Carson Wentz goes down and he leads them to a super Bowl.
Speaker 6: He had that unbelievable snow game. I think it was in like twenty twelve where they played the Lions and it was just it was a full, like two foot of snow. When there's that iconic picture of a Calvin Johnson getting up and he's just got like a block of ice coming from his helmet. And I remember watching that game. But Nick Foles is they were letting it fly, dude, And he's one guy that's probably gonna be forgotten about an NFL lore but oh, no doubt.
Speaker 5: But it's what a run he is.
Speaker 2: When you look at super Bowl winning quarterbacks, really gosh, almost in my lifetime. I mean I wouldn't be able to just run through all of them, but I mean he would be one that would be very easy to forget, especially when years past. Now it kind of it's still relatively recent, so you're like, yeah, that was random, But like in ten years, I'll have to be reminded about this guy because it's other than that Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: His career is kind of easy, easy to forget. Real quick.
Speaker 2: Before we get to break another thing, I want to mention about some storylines here from the Super Bowl matchup. I didn't realize this, but Sawan Barkley's going to have either a really good birthday or really bad birthday because his birthday is actually on Super Bowl Sunday, which I mean that guy that's been one of the best stories and really one of the biggest stories in the NFL this season is Barkley moving from New York to Philadelphia and having the best season.
Speaker 3: Of his career.
Speaker 5: He's about to have a kid too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll he will turn twenty eight years old, which is ancient when it comes to running back years. But man, he's still playing at a high level, no doubt. Quick Break will come back. Keep the five o'clock hour rolling along. Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and company fueled by so Orantin's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I missed this, but apparently when Louisville is back at home on Saturday taking on Miami, they're gonna honor the two thousand and.
Speaker 3: Five Final four team. Which how has it been twenty years since since that happened? Holy pittsnoggle, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had the pittsnoggle of mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I think of.
Speaker 2: And I remember, I mean, I remember everything about that game. I remember just I mean, honestly, I guess now that I think back to the stress and just you know, the insane comeback that we saw in that game and a great finish and really the first final four for Louisville in my lifetime, which was special. But at that time I was so young, I didn't really I wasn't thinking about it, like, well, hopefully they can break through here and win this region and get to a final four, because you know, that's really hard to do and who knows if I'll ever see one. Well, now that I'm a little older, beact I'm a lot older. You know, those aren't something. Those aren't even if you're a program that has, you know, a lot of trips to the final four, I mean a lot really. I mean, let's look it up as far as the most final fours. I mean, I know, the Kentucky's, the Carolinas, the kansas Is are going to be up there. But even if you're like in that next tier where Louisville is, yeah, you feel pretty good about where you are. But at the end of the day, you know, when you get to be my age thirty six, I mean, you know, it's only happened three times in my life. Twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, and two thousand and five, they had two Elite eights. That man, they were right there at twenty and seventeen with David Pagett and then I'm sorry, twenty and eighteen with David Pagett and that crew, and then they really brought back the same team the next year minus Paget, enter Somato, Samuels and that team. I don't know how they lost to Michigan State with Teewell or Clark. I mean, that was a special, special team. So I'll never forget gore on suits on. I mean, look, it's been ten years since Louisville made the second weekend, So you know, like I'm I'm gonna I'm gonna take I'm not gonna take anything for granted when it comes to the tournament for a while, I mean used to just be all right, let's hope, you know, let's see what kind of draw we can get, and look, we could still have fun with that kind of stuff. But I mean, this kind of drought, I mean, this has to be the longest drought for Louisville basketball since Denny got here as far as making it to the second weekend, which of course is Sweet sixteen. So anyways, those guys, man, they're awesome, They're they're final four, and really not just that final four, but really that that that early Patino era where he brought in You got to keep in mind in in Cisco and Taekwon's freshman season, Larry O's freshman season, those guys were playing with Reece Gaines, who was a senior, and you know they that was Rick's first group of players that really had success here. I mean, we're talking about those two guys, by the way, had their records broken just a couple of weeks ago by Rain Smith and Chucky Hepburn, and those records were there for twenty years, twenty seasons essentially, because you know, those guys were special, special players. But when I think of Louisville basketball, you know, really becoming more prominent or I guess getting back to being more prominent, it's that era with those guys who played here. I mean, Taekwan was here four years, Cisco played three, and it's a special run. And a lot of people think of Taekwon, Dean and Francisco Garcia when you think of that group, and look, those were the star players. But Larry Oh was MVP of that region and he played phenomenal in the tournament, had such a special senior year. I'm telling you that trio of Dean, O'Bannon and Garcia. There's a lot of debates that can be had about who the best shooter ever is at Louisville. I can tell you who the best, who the best trio was. There's no scenario Louisville's ever had three guys on the floor that could shoot it like Cisco, Taekwon and Larry Oh. I mean those guys, I mean they were special and it's rare though. That just speaks to Rick being a great coach because he knew that he did not have great defenders on that team, and Taekwon was dealing with injuries towards the end of his career, especially as groin. Larry just wasn't a great defender as far as guarding smaller guards, lateral quickness kind of thing. But they went to that zone and it worked. And how about Ellis Miles, I mean he was about as good of a rebounder.
Speaker 3: As you'll see at Louisville. Given how tall he was.
Speaker 2: I mean they may list Ellis at six seven, I'm not sure he was that tall. And really, Ellis is a great story about Ellis that's a great story when it comes to developing under Rick Patino. You know that last class that Denny brought in that I remember, and I think it might have been it might have been the last freshman class that he signed, or maybe the second to last class that Denny signed. But it had some guys that you know, ended up playing here. But man, when they got here, I mean, Ellis wasn't in good shape, really out of shape. Luke Widehead ended up becoming a good player, but he wasn't great early on. And maybe it's just because they were young, but those guys, and I feel like there's somebody else that was a part of that, you know, that early class for one of Denny's last classes, and they developed under Rick. And then you throw in, obviously that freshman group that I mentioned that had a great run that made it all the way to the Final four with you know, Larry and Cisco and Taekwon. So gonna be awesome to see those guys honored, But gonna make me feel really old to know that it's been twenty years since since that Final four happened. By the way, I'm not overdoing it here, but I've noticed Austin in the last I don't know a week or so, because Louisville's clearly unless they fall apart, they're going to make the tournament. And that's exciting because we were so bad recently. But when I say, and I just said it a moment ago, that Louisville has not made the second weekend in ten years, like that floors people because it's crazy to think about.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 5: And I mean twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Like nobody's fact checking me.
Speaker 2: But once I say it and they think away, then I think within like a second and a half.
Speaker 3: They realized, you know what, You're right, it's been that long.
Speaker 2: So in twenty fifteen is the Elite eight where they lost to Michigan State.
Speaker 3: In the UH That was twenty fifteen in Syracuse.
Speaker 2: Yeah that So then the next year was the Damian lee team, and of course that team would have made the tournament, and we know how that ended. And then the next year was David Paget. We know that that ended up being a team that just you know, wasn't quite good enough to get in.
Speaker 5: So fourth of a second away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Max, I'm sorry. So fifteen, let me back up. Seventeen was a really good season. They just got upset in the second round by Michigan. That's what happened. So Donovan Dingadel, those guys, Race Baulding, they got a two seed, had a really good year Rix last year here was a really good season. They beat a good Kentucky team with Deer and Fox, Malik Monk and Bam out of Bayo, and then of course they ended up losing the Michigan. And then it was the following season where David Paget coach then Max first year they made the tournament, but they ended up losing to to Minnesota. Next year they were really good, would have been a top four seed easily. Didn't have a tournament. Twenty twenty one, they were the first team left out. They were essentially in until two bidstealers won their tournament. I mean, that's how you had Patrick Ewing getting an extension at Georgetown. Terrible deal they made, obviously, that's how somebody at Oregon State maybe got a new contract because of that. And like, not only is that a fluke, that was a weird year where you're going to get weird things happening. So they didn't make the tournament then, and then of course they haven't been back since. So yeah, I mean when I say that, I'm not piling on I just that's one of the many things you can throw out there as to why the little things that we used to just assume we're going to happen, right, like making the tournament, getting at least a decent seed, winning one or two games, those things haven't happened in a while. So every little bit of this success so far for Pat Kelsey in year one has been has been a fun ride. And you know, they could lose to anybody. They've they've kind of proven that. But I think these guys, you know, I trust that they're going to bounce back tomorrow against Boston College and you know, take advantage of what's left on the schedule, meaning you know, you don't have to play out of your mind to win some of these games. But if you do and you win big, who knows how much it can help you. But your only scenario in really improving your resume from now unto the end of the regular season if you're Louisville, is in fact, to blow out some of these bad teams, and that really won't mean anything, right, Like, if Louisville goes on the road tomorrow and beats Boston College by twenty four and they beat Miami, who, by the way, they did finally win a game. They beat Notre Dame over the weekend. But still they're there. Go they're fade worthy in a major way.
Speaker 3: They're bad.
Speaker 2: Miami is so you know, if you beat them by twenty something, and again I'm not saying they will, I mean, heck, I now look at these games as all right, they better come ready to play, because we were just reminded that if they don't and other teams play well and make big shots and you miss free throws, you can lose. That's what happen in Atlanta. But back to the resume, I mean, if you beat those teams bad, it really won't prove that you're any better than like we already like, it's not a prove it moment. It's not like, oh wow, they went on the road and beat Miami or n C State by twenty Well, those teams are bad. So it's kind of, you know, not really a needle mover when it comes to the perception of you. And it wouldn't change my perception of this team either, to be honest. However, it couldn't. It could mess with the metrics, right, like a big time beat down against a team you know that's that's in that in that.
Speaker 3: Category of being bad. It can still Again, it won't.
Speaker 2: It's not like it's gonna change your seed line, but it might improve your net. It might improve the kin palm, that kind of stuff. All right, let's take a quick time out. We'll come back and wrap things up and get out of here and again a big night of college basketball. I'm looking forward to taking it all in. You betting on this Kentucky game, Austin. What's the spread in four and a half? Missus zippy State?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh, miss oh you know, I'm sorry, oh missus favored.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm I told you last week, given Kentucky ten and a half at Tennessee seemed crazy.
Speaker 5: They won out right, Yeah, this seems like a good spot for Kentucky.
Speaker 2: I know that because they bounced back in these exact moments every time. So part of me says, and this is where you just gotta just trust your gut and don't don't overthink it, because.
Speaker 5: I'll go with Kentucky to cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I feel.
Speaker 2: Like it's a no brainer to expect Kentucky to compete because they're better than Ole Miss, even though it's on the road. However, you got to think eventually they're not going to be able to keep answering the bell when they're coming off of a loss. So I don't know what I'm gonna do, but if I did have to wager, I'd probably have to say the smart money would be on taking the Cats to cover. It feels gross saying it, but I think it's the truth. Quick Break will come back and wrap it up right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, we were rocking out here as we wrap up a Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us all for agat some good stuff, good energy, good vibes, and the soundtrack always always on points, So thank you. Great job, mister Austin DJ Austin Montgomery on the Ones and twos?
Speaker 3: Is that a saying?
Speaker 5: Still?
Speaker 3: I felt very old as soon as I said it.
Speaker 6: I always say on the ones and twos just because it sounds so vintag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's you know, I mean, it's it's our era.
Speaker 5: I think on the turntables, Yeah, exactly. Turntable Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember as a kid hearing that and I'm like, I don't even know what that means on the ones and twos, but it sounds cool. So Luka Doncik was introduced in LA today, and obviously that's still a big story and I can't figure out if it's true or not that the initial tweet I saw was deleted, but I did hear on our Fox Sports Radio National update from the anchor in LA that they ran with it too. I'm seeing others running with it, so nothing surprises me when you find out that it's fake. But apparently the Dallas Mavericks have offered briefunds for the remaining home games this season to fans who have canceled their season tickets. That's value to be around two thousand dollars, So I mean that that's unprecedented if in fact that is true. But my guess would be there going to say, look, we understand we did give up in the middle of the night of generational talent. That really, I mean, Luca is gonna be better than Dirk. I mean he just is. I mean, Dirk's great, but like to just trade him. It just still doesn't seem real. But it did happen, So maybe they're just gonna say, hey, look, we get it, but we think we're gonna have a good product that you're gonna like and support, so we'll refund you for the rest of the season. And we think you're gonna like this team so much you're gonna come back and watch Kyrie and Clay and Ad. But yeah, the surprise is still still something that a lot of folks are talking about. But Fox Sports they put together the biggest, biggest Yeah, this is from Fox Sports. This is the most shocking trades of all time. They have Luca at number one. And there's someone here that that I'll take their word for it, but I don't remember or just don't care.
Speaker 3: But Babe, Ruth to.
Speaker 2: The Yankees from the Red Sox, that happened in nineteen twenty, got to tell you don't remember that. And then way Gretzky in nineteen what year was it? Gretzky in nineteen eighty eight, the year I was born, from the Oilers to the to the Kings. Don't remember that that that's a long time ago. But he's such a I mean again, these these shocking trades that take place on this list, and I'll run through them. It it's usually guys that got traded before anybody knew they were, you know, legendary, or guys that you know, are just really good players and you can't believe in any point in their career, old or young, that anybody would give them up.
Speaker 3: But Will Chamberlain was traded to the six to the Sixers and sixty five.
Speaker 5: And then this one.
Speaker 2: I don't remember it, but I do, you know, it's certainly one that's been talked about. Herschel Walker being traded from the Cowboys to the Vikings in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 6: Well, that's that's that's the pick they gave. Cowboy's like a Viking right there.
Speaker 2: Yes, in this trade, I mean it worked out, and I don't remember it being that big of a shock though. Kevin Garnett getting traded from the Tea Wolves to the Celtics, I mean, I'm a big NBA guy. I mean he had grown insanely frustrated and bitter towards Minnesota. I believe therefore it wasn't that big.
Speaker 3: Of a shock.
Speaker 2: In fact, they were the first to do it, meaning yeah, the first Big Three. Yeah, I mean Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce and then you throw Rondo in there. They had a hell of a run. So the Celtics got a title out of that. And after that, the trade that sent those two guys, Garnett and Piers to Brooklyn, that to this day is one of the worst trades in the history of sports, just because of what Brooklyn gave up for a couple of old dudes that were clearly well past their prime. This this one was a big shock. Shaquille O'Neil going to the Heat from the Lakers, just because Shaq when he first got to Miami was still like insanely dominant. And you know Shaq, I mean Shack. Shaquille O'Neil was good when he was big, big Shack. But man, Orlando, Shaq was like something I've never seen before. A Rod from the Rangers to the to the Yan I remember that being a big deal. Randy Moss from the Patriots to the to the I'm sorry, from the Raiders to the Patriots. And then last but not least, the Mariners traded King Griffey Junior to the Reds.
Speaker 3: So anyways, we're out of time, Enjoy your night.
Speaker 5: Everybody