Speaker 1: One thing about this team is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family. Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 3: Let's wind it.
Speaker 4: I love writing these guys after the show, just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 5: Your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodgers, world champion.
Speaker 7: For a small soft time they get a people what they want to die to?
Speaker 5: A two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache. One of the con This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 6: Time to the sound, grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show, and now your host of Dodger Talk, Tim Kats.
Speaker 7: Dodgers do what they're supposed to do, go into Denver and beat up on a bad Rockies team. And that's exactly what they did today. A little bit of offense, a little bit of defense, and a lot of great pitching today from Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers' bullpen, holding the Rockies to just one run today and the Dodgers get a three to one victory in coors Field. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is a number we're here for about the next forty five minutes or so, so light up the phones, Dodger fans, eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. I'm sure something has been weighing on you for the last few hours, ever since Clayton Kershaw left the game after six innings of work today, and boy was he good.
Speaker 5: Six innings.
Speaker 7: Just the one run, a Brenton Doyle solo home run with two outs in the second, the only damage all day. You have a single in the third with one out, but didn't affect him. Six innings, one run, two hit, five strikeouts. He was eight strikeouts away from three thousand going in. He gets five strikeouts today, so now he's sitting on two thousand, nine hundred and nine, so he's three shy going into his next start. And Dave Roberts did say it will be next Wednesday against the Chicago White Sox at Dodgers Stadium. So a good time if you're listening, if you're driving, don't do it right now while you're driving, Bud. If you're listening, you're podcasting, you're at a place where maybe you can pull over. I would suggest you go to Dodgers dot Com and get some tickets while they last for next Wednesday, when Clayton Kershaw will take them out against the Chicago White Sox. Three strikeouts away from three thousand in his Hall of Fame career, certainly a moment that you would want to be at if you're a Dodger fan at Dodger Stadium next Wednesday. For Clayton Kershaw and his next start, he was fantastic today. He had a one two three first, He worked around that home run in the second inning. He had a single in the third inning. He got out of the first four thinning with the double playball after a leadoff walk. He had a one two three fifth. He had a one two three sixth sandwich about the strikeout his fifth of the day. His longest out inning was the third, in which he threw sixteen pitches. Other than that, he had an eight pitch inning, a ten pitch inning, a ten pitch inning, the twelve pitch inning, up and down five different times to get to the sixth inning. I felt just listening and watching the game man, and I really wanted Clayton Kershaw to go back out there for a seventh inning. Eight, six, sixth nine eighty seven to two, five seventy. That's what I wanted. That's what I would have loved to see him go back out there in the seventh inning, especially with a low pitch count sixty nine pitches, second fewest pitches he's thrown in the start this year other than the rain delayed game in New York back on May twenty third. To go back out there three strikeouts away from three strike from three thousand.
Speaker 5: That's me. I would have loved to have seen it.
Speaker 7: But I understand the decision not to go back out there in the seventh, And I say that for this reason. Clayton Kershaw could go out there and things could go drastically wrong in a two to one game. What you just did for six solid innings could all unravel and be undone in the seventh inning. Another spinner around the lineup for the Colorado Rockies. You're working on a thirty seven year old in the six innings of high altitude of Denver. I get it, it's only sixty nine pitches, But Dave Roberts, Clayton Kershaw, Mark Pryor, I'm sure was part of it. Will Smith was asked about it well here from will come up in a few minutes about the decision to end the day for Clayton Kershaw or to send it back out there in the seventh. It could have gone drastically wrong. Things could have unraveled in the seventh inning. You know, you start to wear and tear a little bit, especially a thirty seven year old in Denver. What you did for six innings, you applaud them, You tell them, great job, slap them on the behind, and say, next time out, you're gonna get to three thousand.
Speaker 5: Next time out at home.
Speaker 7: At Dodger Stadium, in front of Dodger Nation, you are gonna get.
Speaker 5: Your three thousand strikeout.
Speaker 7: But what he did today is exactly what they needed. Six innings, one run, two hits, five strikeouts. I think he kind of have to put aside the milestone in which he was getting close to for the game itself. You have to put aside him getting to three thousand strikeouts for the nine inning game today on June twenty sixth, and what it means as a whole. Certainly he's gonna get to three thousand strikeouts. It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. Next time out most likely, but no need to go out there force a seventh inning. Things could get away from Clayton Kershaw. All the good that just happened over six innings comes apart, and you lose a ballgame to a Rockies team you have no business losing to. You beat him three to one, You bang out eight hits, including a solo home run from Otani. You hold the Rockies to two hits. Folks holding a team to two hits at Coors Field in the late part of June when it's hot, that's tough to do. There hasn't been very many no hitters there. I mean, dll Nomo did it, certainly, but you don't see a lot of great pitching performances in the Mile High City. So the longer and longer you go, the more and more the odds are things are gonna maybe fall apart.
Speaker 5: You're gonna lose a little bit. Guys are gonna tee off on you.
Speaker 7: That's why I thought the decision for him to come out after six innings. I'm alright with five strikeouts, one run, two hits, six innings, great, great outing for Clayton Kershaw, a thirty seven year old Clayton Krushaw hitting eighty eight and eighty nine on the radar gun. Not blowing it by guys, but just pitching. I mean, it was artwork out there. What he was doing, Peyton the corners, getting a couple of called strike threes. Let's see, out of his five strikeouts, he had one, two, three called third strikes, one of the fifth and then his final strikeout of the game in the sixth inning. It was a great outing. No need for him to push it in the seventh inning just to get three more strikeouts, just to chase this milestone.
Speaker 5: He's gonna get there.
Speaker 7: If this was the last game of the season, If this were September twenty sixth, and the Dodgers had no shot at the playoffs, and this was the last start for thirty seven year old Clayton Kershaw, what could be It could be it forever for Clayton Kershaw. Then yes, he is going back out there and chasing three more strikeouts.
Speaker 5: We could all agree on that.
Speaker 7: But with so much more of the season to go, hopefully more of his career to go, chasing three strikeouts just for the sake of doing it, and a chance to lose a game to the Rockies just doesn't add up. And the more and more I talked through it, the more and more I've actually convinced myself it was a really good idea not to send him back out there for the seventh, because, hey, full disclosure cards on the table, Gamm, I'll pull back the curtain here. When it happened and Kirby Yates was warming up and we find out Yates has taken over after six innings, I said to Colin Yee, I said to Matt de Mecki. I even said to Petros, who is here, I said, I don't like this. Let him go back out there for the seventh. Sixty nine pitches, that's it. He's got twenty more in the tank, twenty more pitches. That could be another inning and inning in a third ainything. In two thirds, maybe two plus more innings. Clayton Kershaw can get to Heck, if we really want to push him, get to one hundred pitches, maybe he throws a complet game at Coursefield.
Speaker 5: But why the now?
Speaker 7: The more and more I think about it and talk about it here on Dodger Talk, the more and more I literally talk myself into this being a really good decision don't chase three strikeouts for the sake of maybe losing the game, or Kershaw getting hurt, or Kershaw going out there and leading with a bad taste in his mouth and losing a two to one lead at the time. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five to seventy. Maybe you disagree. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Initially I was like, yeah, why I want to hear this. This dive got some explaining to do. They gotta tell me why he just came out after six innings, especially after the perfect game he had in Minnesota a few years ago in early April at Target Field, and they.
Speaker 5: Pulled him out of the game.
Speaker 7: Now you gotta explain why did they pull him out after six innings, just one run, two hits, five strikeouts, and only say, sixty nine pitches.
Speaker 5: I just I just told you why.
Speaker 7: I just explained why, And in doing so, I've not convinced myself that was a really good decision. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. The game itself, all right, the game itself the Dodgers, if you could draw it up anyway, and you can look at a box score, you can look at a game recap. You can go on to TikTok or Instagram or uh Facebook or Twitter and look at a recap of a game. This is how you would draw it up. This would be the art of the day. This would be yes ah. If this were to be a perfect Dodger scenario and a Dodger win, This is how I would predict it to go. This is how I would script it to go. A starter going six innings, just one run, check, turn it over to a bullpen one inning for a high leverage reliever Kirby hs Check, Michael Kopek, Oh another closer, high leverage reliever for the eighth check.
Speaker 5: Ninth inning.
Speaker 7: We bring in our third high leverage closer, Tanner Scott check for the save. Starter six innings won in a piece for your three high leverage relievers Yates, Kopek Scott, you just painted a perfect pitcher for me.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 7: And on top of that, on offense, the big three all drive in runs in a win. Bets an infield single, scoring in rojas Freddie Freeman and RBI single, and show hey Otani his twenty eighth home run. Your big three provide the offense. Your starter go six and your high leverage relievers.
Speaker 5: Bing bang boom, seventh eighth.
Speaker 7: Ninth ball game. Can you draw it up any better than that? And the Dodgers get the win? Now, fifty one and thirty one on this season tied for the best record in baseball.
Speaker 5: Now, don't spit out your drink or your food.
Speaker 7: I don't want anybody choking right here if you're having a late afternoon snack. Yes, the Dodgers, at fifty one and thirty one have tied this team for the best record in baseball. Again, I'm gonna let you chew your foods, spit out your gum, finished drinking your late afternoon coffee or whatever. The Detroit Tigers, Yes, those Detroit Tigers, who are fifty one and thirty one. I didn't say the Yankees. I didn't say the Red Socks. I didn't say the Mets or the Cubs, who've got forty eight wins. The Dodgers and Tigers. Just feels weird saying that the Tigers tied for the best record in baseball at fifty one and thirty one. Dodgers winners of four in a row, eight of their last ten. Again, today is how you draw it up? When you wake up in the morning, if you're a Dodger manager or a coach or the front office, how do we want today to go? Starter, sick, bullpen, high leverage guys each going inning.
Speaker 5: Get the final nine.
Speaker 7: Now, Dan, let's see the heart of the order, the big three, your MVP's bets, Freeman Otani, check check, check, all drive in runs, and you win a game. That's what happened today, Dodgers three to one win over the Colorado Rockies. And in case you missed it in the clubhouse show, I told you what the latest standings are. And by the way, the Giants have lost. The Giants have lost to the Miami Marlins in San Francisco. So as we sit right now, the updated standings look like this. The Dodgers first place of the NL West. The San Diego Padres, who I believe are not playing today, they are off. Padres are off. The Dodgers six games up in the division on the Padres, six and a half games up on the San Francisco Giants, nine games up on the Diamondbacks. And as we sit right now on June twenty sixth, now eighty two games into the season, just past the halfway point of the twenty twenty five Major League Baseball season, with in essence, a half of a season still to play.
Speaker 5: Your Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Are thirty two and a half games up on the Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 5: I I'm looking at it.
Speaker 7: I'm hitting refreshed, thinking maybe somebody threw it an extra number, just like to be funny or as an air. Thirty two and a half games out of the division, not even the All Star break, and we've just passed the halfway point of one hundred and sixty two game season. That's gross, that's disgusting. Oh, to be a Rockies fan.
Speaker 5: What do you have? What do you have to look forward to the rest of the summer?
Speaker 7: The fourth of July fireworks, Dion Sanders and Colorado football, the Broncos training camp, the Nuggets draft tonight, AH, thirty two and a half games back.
Speaker 5: Hey, count your blessings. You're a Dodgers fan, and you've.
Speaker 7: Got ownership like Mark Walter in this group, and a front office like Andrew Freeman, and a coaching staff and manager led by Dave Roberts that put a winning product on the field and win and are competitive and make sure that this team is competitive with the players on the field. It could be Colorado, you could be the A's, you could be the White Sox.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: Do not take for granted what this ownership does and make sure with this front office and coaching staff has to work with a winning product, winning players, successful successful players.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: It is mind boggling that a team could be thirty two and a half games back in the division and it's not even July first.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. Let's take a quick call and then we'll take a break. Let's go to Will in Long Beach. Start things off here on this Thursday after the Dodgers finish off the sweep of the Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Will Good? Sir?
Speaker 8: Good, sir doing?
Speaker 4: Bro Will eating my food.
Speaker 9: Right now in the afternoon, my ticket Mollet hey check this out.
Speaker 4: The pitching that real quick.
Speaker 10: I have a question that maybe you can just answer it for me.
Speaker 9: Back in the sixties when Sandy Kofex was pitching, why were they pitching so many innings? And nowadays these pictures, you know, they really don't get too much, you know, the pitch counts, not that I think they're not pitching enough.
Speaker 5: Well, you can make an argument.
Speaker 7: It's that is a long loaded question. Will and I appreciate it. If we had, I don't know, another four hours, we can sit here and debate that and talk about what is wrong with the game. Why is it different? Why are pitchers not able to go more than seventy five eightyen pitches? Why is it that two times through the lineup do we not see a starting pitcher back out there. It is a long question with a long answer. Okay, we'll have.
Speaker 5: A lot of time to get into it. But the game is evolved.
Speaker 7: There's more money involved with pitchers, there's more money invested with arms, and being that you're investing two hundred million dollars three hundred million dollars one hundred and fifty million dollars in pitching in an arm, the last thing you want to do is have a breakdown, and what, unfortunately is happening is arms are breaking down. Usage is at an all time high for bullpens because starters just don't go past two times in the lineup. Because analytics then tell you the third time a pitcher and a hitter face off in a game, the hitter gets more of an advantage having now seen the picture and in what he's throwing two times a third time through maybe he's oh for two. Maybe he's now seen a curve ball again for the third time and he hits it for a home run. So you limit that chance by bringing it a different arm. Analytics, money have changed the game of baseball. That is the simple answer to It is a loaded question and what could be a very long answer and debate as far as why starting pitchers don't go long anymore into games, But I will throw this out you. Dwayne McDonald, our engineer producer on the broadcast in the booth along with the great Colony of course, Dwayne McDonald had this nugget for Colin and I off air, and he said, as many starting pitchers as the Dodgers have used, he said, I'm looking down south in Anaheim. As just an example, he said, do you know how many starting pitchers the Anaheim Angels have.
Speaker 5: Used in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 7: Okay, how many starting pitchers have the Anaheim Angels used in twenty twenty five because the Dodgers. The Dodgers have used one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen seventeen. If I'm adding up correctly and I got my glasses on, I think I counted seventeen starting pitchers already the Dodgers have used. The Anaheim Angels have used five. Five starting pitchers.
Speaker 5: That they've used. Well that hold up.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but it's interesting to see that in twenty twenty five. And this question you bring up about why starting pitchers don't go longer, why they don't throw as many pitches in games, why there's a shorter leash for them and there's such a quick trigger to go the bullpen. There is a team in baseball, the Anaheim Angels. Five starting pitchers they have used this year.
Speaker 5: That is it.
Speaker 7: That's that's interesting. That's a crazy nugget of a stat. I don't know if it's gonna stay that way. I don't see how it maintains over the course of one hundred and sixty two game season, but we shall see. And what has it got the Angels five hundred record in the American League eight six, six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Peter and Corona is next up here on Dodger Talk after a three to one win over the Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 11: Hi doing Peter, Hey, I'm doing great, a great series. Kershaw was great. But my big question is hess on Kim. He didn't get a single abat in this series and we got when we got them.
Speaker 8: We let Gavin Lux go.
Speaker 11: He should be getting the advats that Gavin Luck said.
Speaker 5: So what is your question, Why isn't Kim plain more?
Speaker 11: That's my question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's a good question for Dave Roberts.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure Michael Confordo is getting an opportunity still to see what he can do, and they're riding out that as long as possible. And look what he did over the weekend in Colorado. Hopefully that translates into Kansas City and beyond, because certainly you go to Colorado, things could be elevated as far as their stats are concerned. But maybe jump starts him. I mean, he had a hit in the finale against the Nationals on Sunday. He goes into Colorado on Tuesday, hits a home run, has a double, three RBIs last night two for four, a home run, and a Ribby did not play today because of the left hander Austin gomer So maybe when he's back out in Kansas City, and I'm looking at what Kansas City's thrown out there. Noah Cameron, left hander on Friday, Seth Lugo the right hander on Saturday, and then Chris Bubick, the left hander, will go on Sunday. So they'll see two left handers in this series. I don't know how that affects the lineup as far as Conforto's concerned and left Maybe Keky Hernandez gets more playing time in two of these next three games. Hayes on Kim. I'm not sure, but it is a good question. Why isn't Kim getting more at bats when he's playing well and maybe deserving of more at bats.
Speaker 5: Blake Blake checks.
Speaker 7: In, and for those just asking Blake, I'm gonna say this real quick, Blake, then I'll let you speak.
Speaker 5: Blake checked in with us over the weekend. Blake is in Colorado.
Speaker 7: Blake told this last time he checked in over the weekend here on Dodger Talk that Blake was going to go to the Dodgers Rockies game in Colorado and that was going to be I think number sixteen of his tour of ballparks in Major League Baseball, and then he was going to go to Kansas City this weekend and see the Dodgers at Kaufman Stadium there in Kansas City. Let's check in with Blake, Blake. Did you go to the game in this series in Denver? And are you going to Kansas City?
Speaker 5: Blake?
Speaker 12: Here?
Speaker 7: They am under one right now?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 11: City?
Speaker 7: White?
Speaker 9: Now and I go to all two games in Colorado?
Speaker 12: You did?
Speaker 3: Fine?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 7: Did you wait out? Did you wait through the rain delay last night? That was like an hour and a half long?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 5: Did you wait through it?
Speaker 3: Psij?
Speaker 7: Nice? Now you're on your way to Kansas City and this is going to be what number ballpark?
Speaker 5: Again? Blake? For you that you're gonna on.
Speaker 7: To Wow, Wow, that is awesome, Blake. Congratulations, congratulates. Now are you are you going to all three games in Kansas City? Are you just going to one or two? What's the plan this weekend? As you drive out there?
Speaker 5: You're going to all three games? Nice? Nice?
Speaker 7: Now we gotta get you in touch with David Vassa. Blake, and I know they don't get very big crowds in Kansas City. Maybe they will this weekend with the Dodgers in Tanda face the Royals and a lot of Dodger fans in the Midwest. But we gotta somehow get you in contact with David Vass. Get a picture with dv and say hello to David Vasse. How about that, Blake, Yeah, that would be cool. We will we will try to get you in touch with with David Vass. If you see him on the on the on the the field there he's out in the field before the games. If you get there for batting practice early and you're out there, look for David Vass if you can find a picture.
Speaker 5: What he looks like. He's the tall, good looking guy. Find him.
Speaker 7: He's got a microphone usually in his hand that says A five seventy and then then say hello and get his attention and we'll tell him to be on the lookout for you.
Speaker 5: Okay, Blake, Okay, awesome.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go to Milwaukee teams too.
Speaker 5: What you're going to?
Speaker 7: That's right, you told this you're going. That's number seventeen. That's number seventeen. Blake, man, you are having yourself a summer to remember, You're going to Denver, Kansas City, and Milwaukee. What a summer? Don't ever forget this? How lucky are you? Blake Man, be safe, all right, it save travels to you and your family.
Speaker 11: Thank you bye.
Speaker 5: All right, there he.
Speaker 7: Goes Blake, our young fan from Colorado heading to Kansas City.
Speaker 5: That's what it's all about. That is what it's all about.
Speaker 7: Summertime away from school, a chance to go see ballparks across the country. He lives in Colorado, able to go see the Dodgers in Denver and then follow them to Kansas City.
Speaker 5: He's gonna go see a game at Miller Park. Hopefully, hopefully he doesn't.
Speaker 7: Go down the slide like David Vasse and get us a chance to see.
Speaker 5: Now his sixteenth and seventeenth ballpark. How cool is that?
Speaker 7: Thirty ballparks in baseball and young Blake's gonna be seen seventeen of them at his young age.
Speaker 5: Very cool. That is something I wish all.
Speaker 7: Baseball fans were able to experience, whether you're young or old, whether you're retired, and have a chance to go see the country, go see ballparks. A father, an uncle, a grandfather, Go out and do that, experience baseball and other ballparks, see your favorite team in another city, see the Dodgers on the road.
Speaker 5: It's a cool experience going and see him in different parts.
Speaker 7: It's one thing to go to San Diego or Anaheim, San Francisco. Those are relatively short trips. Go see him in Colorado, go to Arizona Dodger fans. If you haven't, it's a quick drive over to Phoenix. It's fun to see him at Chase Field in Arizona. Very cool that Blake gets to do that. Le'squeeze another phone call before we get to the top of the hour. Let's go to Dan and Camillo. Your next up. Thanks for being patient.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 8: Hey, doing well? Thanks for taking my call. Sure, okay, real quick. I've got the perfect scenario. I just bought tickets. The Dodgers are America's team. What better scenario than for Tight and Cursha to get three thousand strikeouts. Then, on the part of July, I J's take in Houston Astros. Do you think about that, Mike Dan?
Speaker 5: I would love that. Dan.
Speaker 7: Nothing more patriotic than red, white and blue and strikeouts against the Houston Astros. I appreciate the phone call. I just don't see it up right now. I just don't feel like you can push another two days to a Clayton Kershaw start. He's scheduled to go on Wednesday, July second. You can get your tickets at Dodgers dot Com. Tickets, by the way, are off for Yoshinobu Yamamodo Bobblehead Night for the first forty thousand ticketed fans against the White Sox next Wednesday, July seventh or July second, July second, at seven to ten pm.
Speaker 5: I think it would be cool.
Speaker 7: I would love it if they can set it up where he goes on the fourth of July against the stink and cheat in Houston Astros. But I just don't see that in the cards. I don't see that as a viable option. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy Eric, and you kaipa, and then we'll take a break.
Speaker 5: Eric. How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, my friend? Thanks?
Speaker 10: Tim? You're also hey, Tim?
Speaker 3: Yes, I I want to say, dude, I.
Speaker 10: Love Tim Neverett. The way he calls the game, just say his enthusiasm and like when something good happened. It's just so, it just comes out natural.
Speaker 2: It's not fake.
Speaker 5: So I don't think they are fake. I think they're all natural.
Speaker 1: Eric.
Speaker 7: I appreciate the phone call. I'm sure Tim never appreciates some nice words.
Speaker 5: I'm sure he does.
Speaker 7: I think they're all great. I don't think there's anything fake about a play by but it's hard. You cannot fake play by play.
Speaker 5: It just can't.
Speaker 7: It's somebody who wanted to do it so many years ago. There there's no way to fake it. I mean, if there's a monumental moment coming up, sure you can jot down some notes, maybe a little saying or something, but.
Speaker 5: You can't script or fake live.
Speaker 7: Sports in front of you, whether it's basketball, football, baseball, whatever the sport is in front of you, hockey, it's happening in the moment in front of you. There's nothing fake about it. Again, you can jot down maybe something that when that monumental moment or historic moment happens, you can refer to it and make sure you don't forget it if you want to say something.
Speaker 5: But yeah, play by play, that's natural, man.
Speaker 7: I mean, a pitch happens, you gotta describe it, talk about in the moment. You don't know if it's gonna be a ball or a strike, or a home run or a strikeout. There's no way to predict that. So yeah, there's nothing scripted about that as far as the play on the field and what's happening. We'll take a quick time out, we'll come back. We'll get some more of your phone calls. Petros some money with Jonas Knox coming in and just a little bit, I see the guys doing some high knee exercises down the hall. Petros of course, racing towards the vending machine. So the guys will be on coming up in just a little bit. Dodgers win again ten straight over the Colorado Rockies as they finish off this swee get three games sweep in Denver, a three to one come from behind win, the thirty fifth come back win of the season. A three to one win over the Rockies in Denver. Are on A five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk all of those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too. Come find the back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA.
Speaker 13: Sports two two and Otani swins HiT's a drive deep right center field, way back to the wall, head, ask God a home run, show Hey o'tany home run number twenty eight, and the show rolls.
Speaker 7: On in Denver, Show Hey Otani home run number twenty eight RBI number fifty two as the Big three deliver for the Dodgers and a three to one win over the Colorado Rockies. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot com keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, but just by predicting the number of home runs in the next game, Daniels Jewelers own the dream. The All Star voting is happening around Major League Baseball and they are moving on to Phase two of the voting, where the number of players shrink, so you can vote for all the position players for your favorite team in the initial round, and then the top vote getters at those positions move on to Phase two of the voting, and the two top vote getters in each respective lead automatically move on without having to go to a round two sho Heotani congratulation, has already now been voted in as the starting designated hitter for the National League as their top vote getter. The Dodgers have seven players who advanced to the final round of the All Star voting, which the All Star Game Will You played in Atlanta coming up in just a few weeks. Show Heyo Tani is officially in moving on to the second round of voting. In the National League, Will Smith, Dodger catcher, moving on. He'll go up against Carson Kelly, who moves on. As far as National League catchers, Freddie Freeman moves on. He and Pete Alonso fighting it out for top vote getter and starter at first base in.
Speaker 5: The National League.
Speaker 7: Tommy Edmond and Kotel Marte of the Diamondbacks move on to the second round and to see who will be the starting second baseman in the National League. Mookie Betts along with Francisco Lindor move on as the top two vote getters at shortstop. They'll square off in voting to see who will be named starter in the All Star Game. Max Muncie and Manny Machado move on to square off to see who will be the starter at third base in the National League All Star Game, and not one but two Dodger outfielders are a lunks the six finalists for the National League All Star vote getting Wan Soto made it, Ronald Acunya, Junior Pete Crow, Armstrong, Kyle Tucker, ta Oscar Hernandez, and Andy Pi has a finalist.
Speaker 5: Is one of the top six outfielders to advance to Phase two.
Speaker 7: Andy Pas, congratulations, moves on to the second round of voting for the All Star Game. Very cool that many Dodger players and that's all you Dodger fans, that's all you're voting in phase one, round one of voting.
Speaker 5: Now you need to do it again. It comes down to this.
Speaker 7: Now the All Star Game ballot finalists are out, you can go to Dodgers dot com slash vote and start voting again for Freddie Freeman, Tommy Edmond, Mookie Betts, Max Munsey, Andy Pie his and tay Oscar Hernanez and Will Smith. Don't want to leave him out there as well, So get out there at Dodgers dot Com slash vote. Speaking to Will Smith, he was behind the plate today catching for the Dodgers. He was there for Clayton Kershaw's six innings, five strikeouts. Clayton Kershaw now three shy of three thousand. Let's go back out to Denver and here from Will Smith.
Speaker 14: All right, well, obviously Clayton Kershaw chasing wins and strikeouts today?
Speaker 12: Why was he so good? Yeah, he's just you know, has stuff going today. He was execute pitches, getting ahead of guys, you get some soft contact early, punching guys out with two strikes pitcherly.
Speaker 14: Well, even at this stage of his career and you catching him so many times, are you amazed by how good he still is in the different ways he finds to be good.
Speaker 12: Uh yeah, I mean he knows what he's doing out there, he knows how to find out, he knows how to he knows how to pitch. So it's it's fun being back there with him, you know, seeing him works, Younia, go out there and give us you know all you start after quality start, you know we need that.
Speaker 14: So Freddie's been keeping count for him. How many he's away from three thousand? Were you keeping count behind the play today?
Speaker 12: Yeah? I knew today. So hopefully next start he you know, gets the three thousand and can celebrate.
Speaker 14: He credited the biggest play of the game today to Miguel Rojas on that ball down the line by totally. How big of a play was that to get you guys out of the inning.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was huge, tough play, tough Hobs still made it, doubled them up. Then later, you know, the little slow roller with Kirby on the mount get out of that inning. He made two huge plays. You know, It's just no question how good he is defensively over there. So it's good to see him out there.
Speaker 7: All right, there's Will Smith again. He and Clayton Kershaw. A lot of praise for Miguel Rojas who played third base today with Austin Gomber on the mount of day off for Max Muncie and Miguel Rojas scored a run for the Dodgers, had a double in this game. And as you heard just Will Smith talking about it, we heard from Clayton Kershaw earlier talked about it. His defense at third base today. A couple of great plays from Miguel Rojas at the hot corner, helping out Kirby Yates late in the game and helping out Clayton Kershaw, who went the six innings one run, two hits five strikeouts. He is now three away from three thousand. A Joy in Alpine is next up here on Dodger Talk. Hi Joy, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. Jim, how are you doing? Man?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great.
Speaker 7: Dodgers finish off the suite now, the Dodgers heading to Kansas City, and I imagine a lot of barbecue being eat tonight, including David Vasse enjoying little Kansas City barbecue.
Speaker 2: There you go, man, there you go. He deserves it after the dead fish. Henshake, I guess there you go.
Speaker 5: He saved Michael Conforto season.
Speaker 2: Right, That's what it seems like so far right right. I don't know if if Rick Monday was so.
Speaker 5: I think he's buying it.
Speaker 2: Anyways, you know, I had a quick question and you just kind of touched on it with Migi Ro. You know, I know the early season, with how we were kind of limping into games, a lot of people had him on that nme was the next dsad, right, But I've always appreciated what he does defensively. Do you think he's obviously a long way to go, but kind of solidified a little bit more of that today with what he showed that he gives us off the bench, and you know, I just want to say, hey, now, what a team right to limp their way into the top record and all of them wob But that's all I got for you, man, Thanks for taking my call, all.
Speaker 5: Right, A joy, I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: I like how you said they limped in to a fifty one and thirty one record. I mean, you still got MVPs in this lineup. You still got a really talented ball club out there. Yes, the injuries have hit them hard, and there's no doubt about it. They have at times patched their way through outings with openers bulkeeting guys and the inability in some games of the starters to get past a second or third inning in some starts. So no doubt I'd say the pitching staff, yes, has limped their way through the first eighty two games of the season with all the injuries that have hitting them. Darryl in Palmdale the sixty six to one checks in here on dot did you talk on this Thursday afternoon?
Speaker 5: What are you doing, Darryl?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 3: How you doing? Tim? Great gameyly, I really enjoyed it. But when they took Kirshall out in the sixth I had more of a positive thing. I was saying, he might go out there and strike out the side, or what if he got two strikeouts and you know they betther want him come out again. But the thing about it is this, I got one question that I really want to ask you, and I really want to find out. When there's a run on third base with less than two outs, whatever happened to guys choking up on the bat putting the ball in play. I mean, you don't see it anymore. It's a lot uard too big to do that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a lost art, Darryl, I appreciate it. It is a lost art choking up on the bat, hitting the other way. Now, runner on third lesson two outs. I'll give you a word, slug drive the ball of the outfield. That's what's more important. If you hit it out, great, If you hit a deep fly ball, runner of scores, you've done your job just as much. The days of choking up and small ball. It's it's come back a little bit with the base running. That's because the game has changed with the bigger bags and the pitch clock, and the pitch clock now speeding up the pitchers and maybe some of the focuses off the base runners, and so base running has become an art again. I do think that we're seeing more and more of it, the Dodgers getting a little bit more speed.
Speaker 5: But you're right, the days of choking up.
Speaker 7: Hitting the other way small ball, yeah, those those are long gone, unfortunately. Daryl Mark and Carl's Bet our final call here on Dodger Talk after a three to one win over the Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 5: How you doing Mark?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: Thanks Tim for taking my call. I thought it would take a minute after that seven to six zero area code, but I just want to talk about the schedule real quick. You know, going back a few two out of three in San Diego, three out of four in LA against the Giants, we got the Rockies. You know, we have a couple more series where I think we can win too, out of three. I really think that this is kind of the part of the season where we can stretch out that lead. I know it's as robust right now, but I really think that going forward the next two series, we could stretch it out even more and let those other teams in the West know what we're about. They're going to be down with you games going into the All Star break. Now, think about that.
Speaker 5: I'm with you. I'm glad you brought that up. Mark.
Speaker 7: That's a great point about where this Dodgers team is right now and this stretch of games. Take care of business.
Speaker 5: Handle it.
Speaker 7: Beat the Rockies like you're supposed to, and they did that a three game sweep. Now you go to Kansas City, don't take your foot off the gas, don't ease up, don't get comatose by the Kansas City barbecue. Take care of business against a bad Royals team that lost again today and is now falling into fourth place in the National or the American Central.
Speaker 5: You had Dustin May on the mound.
Speaker 7: Pretty sure, showy Otani is gonna go on Saturday TBD on Sunday for the Dodgers. Take care business, and then you get the White Sox next Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. It's just a stretch of nine games. Heck, twelve games. You go back against the two of three they took from the Nationals. Pick up more games. You're six games up in the standings right now. Get that to eight, get that to minimum seven. Pick up at least a game over the weekend in the standings. Pick up two would be ideal. Get that bad boy up to eight going into the White Sox series, and then you got a shot to maybe get up to eight or nine, depending on where you're at. Build that lead up, because you're gonna go into the All Star Break with three against the Houston Astros, three against the Milwaukee Brewers are fighting in the NL Central, and three against the San Francisco Giants, who just added devers and are looking to stay afloat and fight in the NL West. It'd be nice to go into that series against San Francisco with a balloon lead and then really just take it to the Giants, just absolutely put them out of their misery. Going into the All Star Break, double digit lead over the Giants, That's what I would love to see.
Speaker 5: Now, got take care of business.
Speaker 7: That means winning series, That means sweeping the Royals, that means taking care of business against these bottom feeders in baseball this season.
Speaker 5: All right, that's gonna do it.
Speaker 7: Coming up next here on an FI seventy LA Sports, We've got the Petrose Money Show. Petros papadekas Jonas knocks in for Matt money Smith Today Great Sports Talk until seven o'clock tonight.
Speaker 5: I'm sure a lot to talk about. Get into this Dodgers game.
Speaker 7: Clayton Kershaw three strikeouts away from three thousand. I know David Vasse is hoping to hop on later on the show with the guys. Great sports talk coming up, Nock next. But a great win for the Dodgers today they beat the Rockies three to one. Thanks to Coliny, they saw you for being a part of the show. Thanks for listening on this Thursday afternoon. Thanks for podcasting as well. We're back at it tomorrow on Friday. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck gets it all started at four o'clock. First Bitch from Kansas City is at five ten Dustin May and Noah Camberon until then. Enjoy the rest of your Thursday. PMS is next,