Speaker 1: Hello, this is what you're talking about, Willis, And we're proudly sponsored by your local tennis club.
Speaker 2: Do you enjoy lots of rules signs using clip art, a woman called Maureen telling you off? Then why not join your local tennis club today? And it's not just tennis either. There's a clubhouse with the mustiest of smells, showers that don't work, and court booked every night for static doubles, unfriendly, unwelcoming. Join your local tennis club today. Good morning, Marcus Willis. Now this is just a quick catch up because we haven't. We spoke after Ilkley. You hadn't played Queen's, hadn't played Eastbourne. It's grass cool season. You've been seeing someone else behind my back, right, I'm your podcast wife, but you've been seeing Gabby Logan, which is yeah. I mean I found out by hearing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry mate, Yeah, I just gotta do what you got to do here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And let's be honest. There's enough Willis to go round, isn't that there is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: There is.
Speaker 1: There's plenty, plenty more for anyone else that's interested.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's just do a little whistle stops tour of Queens because it seems only last week. It seems like an age ago. You and David Stevenson. You get a great win first round here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, played really well.
Speaker 1: We had the exact same drawer as we did last year, so niece Roger vasselin to play Hellivar pattern, but this time it was on the top half of the draw because world number one's now said the world number.
Speaker 3: Twos or second seas or whatever they were last year. So yeah, we've played a really good back.
Speaker 1: Limited them to I think they had two break points at six five in the second, but that was kind of random, and then we won the sidebreak pretty comfortably seven to three, I think. So, yeah, I played great good at mass Court one. Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 3: I can't I can't say much more. We played really well.
Speaker 2: It's a lovely tournament, isn't it. I mean behind the scenes. I've been behind the scenes when I was working on the tennis podcast for Queens, and you just explain to people when I was there, you went through that balcony and then round like a load of indoor courts, and you got to like the players lounges.
Speaker 1: That you don't go around the indoor courts you go the other way. Now, okay, okay, so it's like a maze. You go through all the all the clubhouse, which is obviously pristine and stunny, and yeah, it's like a I always get lost.
Speaker 3: At the beginning there.
Speaker 1: But this year they for arrows up basically locker rooms and cakes and no, I'm joking about the cakes, but but yeah, it was easier.
Speaker 2: I thought you were joking about the locker room to the locker room. I thought the cakes are real, that.
Speaker 1: The food wasn'tain as well. This year they've got You've got everything you could imagine. So I was obviously opting for chicken most of the time, trying to stay healthy. But then they've got a guy just banging out pizzas from Pizza Oven. And because they do the chicken fresh for you, like while you're waiting, it's very easy to you know, fall over that way and grab a couple of sluices of pizza while you're waiting for your healthy food. So you know, that was a challenge that I failed every single time.
Speaker 2: But other than that, the hospitality, though, are really at Queen's. You can see why players come back again and again, not only for the uniqueness of the grass court and the points available, but they really treat players well.
Speaker 1: It's it's the best tournament I think as a player because they have the women's before and there's you know, slams are great, but they're perhaps they're busy. It's intense obviously Queens is as well. You're playing at a top event. But there's that space, there's that you know, care and comfort that you can always not having to you know, squeeze to find the table. There's always stuff free. There's yeah, pool tables, there's there's stuff going on and it's it's relaxing when you're not playing, when you've got an hour off, it's really nice.
Speaker 2: So you i mean the weather was a lot better at Queens than Ilkley, so you didn't play on an indoor court that luckily. And practice courts and things like that all easy to come by. How's practicing? How's practice going?
Speaker 3: With good? Good?
Speaker 1: We've got you know, a good group of people around us. You know, I've got Adam with me, We've got Dave o Hair with Dave as well, and obviously Louis you know, overseeing everything as well. So yeah, trainings going well. We've got kind of clear on what we're trying to do. It's just going out there and trying to execute that, which is nice.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: It's it's what's training like? Is he is he? Is it an intense training situation? Is it a laugh? Is it?
Speaker 3: Well? No, I mean it's intense when you're out there. I mean the first hit.
Speaker 1: We both like to when we both go to a venue, just hit balls for the first you know, fifteen to twenty minutes, get east of the courts and conditions.
Speaker 3: But once that's it, I mean you're straight in.
Speaker 1: You know, once you've had that first hit, you're straight into specific stuff, and you know, no ball you.
Speaker 3: Hit is kind of just for fear or just to get it in. There's always.
Speaker 1: Intent behind it, intent behind each shot, which is which is different to how I've done it most of my career.
Speaker 3: I suppose you know I've done I've done I've done specific in training.
Speaker 1: But but you know, certainly, playing singles at the first fifteen to twenty minutes, you're warming up, whereas doubles it's it's you know, you're hitting from the baseline, but you know you're trying to stay aggressive, You're trying to break the baseline with the ball, you're yeah, there's there's intent behind it from ball one, after you've had that initial hit and then you're into attack the end, you're into your volley's defensive bollies, attacking vollies. Yeah, it's it's it's different, but it's good because you know every bole you hit, as I say, has got a purpose and you don't get you know sometimes sometimes they used to hit balls and be daydreaming. I'll be just doing it an autopilot. So you've got that extra level of focus.
Speaker 3: So it's cool. It's new for me.
Speaker 2: What it's new? You're still learning, you're evolving, some would say.
Speaker 3: Some would yeah, mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What what's it like standing behind his serve as a volier?
Speaker 3: Nice? Yeah, yeah, it's nice. But again you're playing.
Speaker 1: You're playing in the last two weeks place for the best players in the world, so it's they come back. Sometimes you need it. You need a good serve, an accurate server or a rocket or both, and everyone's got one. Everyone serves well at the top level.
Speaker 2: So where are you staying down in Eastbourne? And are you staying with David and the rest of the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they put you in hotels, as we had air on our hotel, thankfully the few hotel right next to the beach. So I bought I bought myself some nine pounds little flip flipper shoes from a you know, one of those classy sea side shops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was in the sea within ten minutes of waking up every day. It was lovely. Yeah, great, I loved it, floating around like a Chris packet.
Speaker 2: I'm off to the beach today. That's why we were like, should wed I can't maybe like that?
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm on, I'm on, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm here dogs. So so you get Dann at Eastbourne, the courts. At the courts the same, No, slow.
Speaker 1: Stressed enough, so much lower, longer crafts. I mean the Queen's is quick, especially when it's hot. But but yeah, completely different, like you hit. Yeah, I mean, look at the number of races that are now compared to Queens. It's it's not the same. So yeah, we played two Brazilian guys first round. I mean I think they're both top twenty or top thirty at least, and it was tough because they're heavy conditions of one guy was sitting back in these lobs as hard as he could.
Speaker 3: They were going in because it is a heavy condition.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, no, it was you have to battle out there, and weirdly, you know, by the time we played our second match, it felt quicker because I.
Speaker 3: Think we were used to the conditions a bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much slower, still low bouncing as such, caught the knife.
Speaker 3: It's just so different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, different as well.
Speaker 3: It will be probably between East Ball and Queen Speed. I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to do a proper windwed and preview and everything on the Sundays Friday as we record this, So this is kind of just a quick touch in to see where you are and what's going on. Although, as I said earlier, you could listen to other podcasts and hear you.
Speaker 3: No, just one.
Speaker 2: Well, I promised myself I wouldn't cry, so one podcast you so does the as we're talking now, and because people may listen to this in the future, it may of course become archive for the British Museum as time goes on. Yeah, it's about thirty five centigrade in the UK right now. Is that changing how these courts are playing?
Speaker 3: Not yet.
Speaker 1: I think if it were for a whole week with grass will stop burning, wasn't it? But no, it's quicker through the air obviously when it's hotter, but you've got that breeze in Eastbourne as well to make it cooler. Like we played it was yeah, way into the thirties and it felt okay.
Speaker 2: The other day okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Paris was Paris was the worst of experience in a while. Our first round in Paris, three hour match in terms of heat and humidity and stuff. But it was all right, a bit a bit of English breeze.
Speaker 2: We're fine, Yeah, it's fine. And then you you hotfoot again because you don't just meander. You have to hotfoot back home and then to the host house or not straight into Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: I am going to wimbled and today to sort accreditations out and stuff, and then tomorrow it's you're basically only chance to hit on a match court before the championship starts as players.
Speaker 3: So we're hitting on a match court tomorrow midday.
Speaker 1: Just to get you a feel for the courts, and then we'll be off the rains park, you know, hitting, hitting and training. They're probably most likely most of the time when the tournament starts so yeah, I'm getting down to London tonight playing Boodles tomorrow evening as well. So I've got practice in the day and then off the Stoke Parks play a practice match m hm up the Boodles, and then Sunday.
Speaker 3: Are very light day, lots of physio I can imagine.
Speaker 2: And then and a longer podcast, yeah, and a longer podcast, a little pre wimbled and previous. And also I want to talk about the wild cards that Dan Evans all of it. I just want to go on. I've got wind and either mate absolute win with fever, get.
Speaker 3: Your strawberries and cream at oh oh and more.
Speaker 2: I'll be getting more than that outs and I'll be there myself on the Tuesday.
Speaker 3: That's excellent. Maybe we could do a live live tickle.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, I'd love to do that. What I have got though for you right now is a little game. Okay, because you know tennis is schmenis and all that. But the other day we did schwank or wank And if you haven't heard that, you can go back into the archives where you have to decide whether a player is real shwank or fake wank. I've now invented five players, and I want you to tell me what their career was. Okay, Okay, so.
Speaker 3: You don't know this, Okay.
Speaker 2: Tarnia Gold for Sober.
Speaker 3: I mean she was top hundred hundred and fifteen.
Speaker 1: Grew up in Bosnia, Hertzcovina, ended up in Florida, a polla tieries night contract, the works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then.
Speaker 1: Kind of disappeared mid to late twenties, had shoulder surgery and that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, one forty four slams in that time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Donald pursl Thwaite, Donald Purpleweight, I mean, this is definitely for me. This is like long link linen trousers. This isn't a yeah no.
Speaker 1: He was from Norfolk as well, you know, the only the only guy to never win a match at pro level. He played forty seven first rank qualifying matches in a row. You know, it didn't travel that much. Just paid on the English.
Speaker 2: Ones mechanic in his spare time. I heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it wasn't his job.
Speaker 1: He just enjoyed at the weekend he had he qualified, he wouldn't be able to play major anyway because you have work.
Speaker 3: In the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, Actually not.
Speaker 1: As bad as you think though, like good backhand slides, just had the yips and the surf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, and they still some players still now call it the personal fights.
Speaker 3: Yeah I do. Yeah, well that's where it originally came from. Yeah, of course, before before Andrew Yapowski came in.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got a player that you know very well. Obviously you don't because he's made up. But Fernando Orlandi.
Speaker 1: Fernando Rolandi kind of went under the radar for someone thirsty in the world for ten years, you know, never never made it part cause of a slam, but you know, the only player to win Estel two fifty ten times in a row, clay court play quarter prime. Yeah, never cramped good set a leg on him.
Speaker 3: Just just a warrior.
Speaker 1: You know when someone someone you just don't want to play, if you're not feeling the ball. Well, do you know what I more than four games in a set on grass as well?
Speaker 2: Carry I saw that. I saw that. What I was actually just wikipedia in Rolandi before. And do you know he's now Guinness Book of Records World's longest fingernails.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not surprised, he said. Yeah, he said tape them, didn't it?
Speaker 3: Once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not surprised.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take them, but actually it helped his forehand.
Speaker 1: If he stretched them out, why he could reach, you know, further than most people.
Speaker 3: With his fingernails.
Speaker 2: Svetlana Kalokinlana Kalokin, Yeah, yes, okay, yestah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was surprised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought she'd push on more than she did obviously when she came on the scene again at fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Old frubality Ry Florida.
Speaker 3: By contract.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Just made the move to Florida very early.
Speaker 1: Yeah oh yeah yeah yeah but bad injuries.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got I'm going to lean into this one, but I feel that it might be a similar pattern for Stephanie Beloffe Bulgarian Bulgarian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she actually tried to mince for a bit.
Speaker 2: Belarues, Yeah, but I think it was fifteen when she made the.
Speaker 3: She was fifteen, she made Top Andred. Yeah, Australia back then was weaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as we know from John Lloyd, like not everyone traveled there over Christmas. That's when she broke onto the scene with him, really and then you know, followed it up ten years later with another Australian Open quarterfinals yeah, good player, best back end on the tour. People say, yeah, yeah, I think Andrew Yeah, andre Yupovski coachter So that didn't go too well?
Speaker 2: Sure yeah, okay, let's talk Wimbledon very soon, mate, such.
Speaker 3: Just so good at it, so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What they do you? Oh Nike? Okay yeah cool yeah yeah yeah. Contract yeah, big.
Speaker 2: Contract, Florida yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah right, I'll go to the bat.
Speaker 3: Okay, enjoy yourself.
Speaker 2: Bye, bait.
Speaker 1: Victor baronco on troumpone, Sergeant Major Craig Frederick.
Speaker 4: On the trumpets and the composition. The Army Blues walked back down.