Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. Now your host for Playoff Dodger Talks sound Off Angelinos, David Vase.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers fall in Game two of the NLDS by a final score of ten to two to the San Diego Padres Hi, everybody, David Vase with you until ten o'clock tonight right here on AM five to seventy. LA Sports eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We are going to get postgame reaction from all the all the principles in tonight's game, Jack Flaherty, Manny Machado, Jerks and Profar Fernando Tattoos Junior. We'll get to all of it, Max Munsey, all of that, but number one before we dive into the game, I just got to express you know. When I was on with Money on Friday, I talked about how I needed to challenge you when you came to these two games at Dodger Stadium to make this a hostile environment. I did not mean what I saw tonight in the seventh inning. That was completely over the line, and you actually poured more gas on already emotional fire, which is the San Diego Padres. It completely backfired. Whoever they were in the left field area throwing baseballs at Profar, whoever it was throwing trash and water bottles on the field and right field to Fernando Tattis Junior. It completely backfired. They scored three runs in the eighth inning. After that, they scored three more runs in the ninth inning. I'm not saying the fans were the reason why. Obviously you got to make better pitchers, and that's my point. The guys between the lines can jaw at each other, can even push and shove, can even throw at each other, but you're a spectator. You cannot get involved. That could have cost the Dodgers the playoff game in the seventh inning, even before it got out of hand. That was completely over the line, and quite frankly, a little ironic because when you did have an opportunity, and I'm talking to you guys out there, the guy with the Alex Vesia jersey out there in the left field of field seats over the short wall and everybody's sitting around him. That was your chance to actually make a difference and get under Profar's skin. That was an opportunity when Mookie Betts thought he had a game tying home run in the first inning, when Profar reached over the short wall where the fans were, where you were, and you basically were super polite and got out of the way of Profar making the catch. In that situation, you may not be familiar with the rules, but when the player's glove goes into the stands, all bets are off. Throw a beer on it, Slap the glove out of his hand, Slap the ball out of his hand. Have as many people trying to catch that ball as Profar was trying to do. That was your chance. Your chance wasn't in the seventh inning when you're throwing a baseball at the guy you made us look bad. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I will say this. I give Jack Flaherty a lot of credit because he did not back down tonight from Fernando Tattis Junior, who homered in the first inning, and when Tatist Junior came up for his third at bat, of the game. After homering and then doubling in the third inning, Jacky did what he should have done, which was come inside on Tatis. He's been having way too comfortable at bats in the first two games of this series, and quite honestly, he's one of the most annoying padres. I mean, have you seen what's been circulating what he was doing in the dugout, sticking his tongue out and wagging it at fans behind the Padres dugout. It's s obscene what this guy is doing. And I love that Jack Flerty came inside in the sixth inning and didn't care if he hit him, which he did. Unfortunately, he gave up a base hit to Profar and he did strike out many Machado as his last hitter for the first out of that inning, and then told Machada to go sit the bleep down, and Machado got all upset. And then when Machado came back out to play third base, Flarity was still in the dugout and they were both chirping at each other some more, and it seemed like Machado was saying, let's meet in the parking lot. And if you've heard me since Friday, I have said the Padres are to the Dodgers what the Sacramento Queens were to the Lakers from two thousand to two thousand and four, And that reminded me of Doug Christy and Rick Fox saying let's go under the tunnel and handle this ourselves. Now. Are Machado and Flerty going to meet in the parking lot? Absolutely not. I mean they have the reputation of being the two of the biggest hold me back guys. But I love that flarity handled it between the lines. Here is Jack Flerty after the game on sports net LA.
Speaker 3: Can you do more in depth on notification with the chatter to meet?
Speaker 2: There's a lot to say.
Speaker 4: Well, first is that fans like you should never get involved. There's no reason, there's no need, no reason ever to throw anything at players, no matter what's going on, there's no reason to get involved with it. Stay out of it.
Speaker 2: Then whatever went on.
Speaker 4: Over there there, they have every reason to be upset about it, Like nobody. We should never feel like we're we gonna get anything thrown at us on either side, So fans should never should never, never be involved. You know, they they didn't like to pitch the tatis. I look, I missed in the first inning and I threw the ball over the middle. I wasn't gonna miss over the plate again. But I've gotten no reason to hit a guy there to start off the six like as good as he's been swinging the bat, but we're down in the game. I'm trying to go in for effect and he didn't get out of the way it hit him. Wasn't didn't didn't try to go and hit him to try to lead off an inning or anything like that that that doesn't really make sense, didn't go up near his head, nothing, Just trying to push a guy off the plate. And even by the way sometimes it happens, they're upset about it, you know, that's part of it. I was fired up after getting Manny out was a big spot in the playoffs, you know, that's that's that's what happens. Like I was fired up, like, oh well, and then yeah, you know, he he did some ships winnings or ied to throw the ball at our dugout and everybody kind of catches the tail end of it, which is me and him going at it. But like I was sitting there for my team was I wasn't there to go at him, but you know he was throw the ball and our dog at our dugout and the umpires win went over immediately to tell like, I don't know what their conversation was, but our dougout was fired up because there ain't no reason for that. Everybody caught the tail end of everybody caught just me and him going at it like many he's a great player. Like you know, I understand everybody. It's postseason. Everybody's fired up. They get upset, like frustrated about pitching in to tease, like like I said, you know, you gotta you gotta be able to pitch him in. And I missed it in the first inning, and I wasn't gonna miss over the plate again just trying to go in for a sect. So there was a lot that happened there. But you know, some other fans stay out of it, and uh, you know, I've always just got to play better. But you know it's, uh, you know, sometimes emotions run high in this game and you just just go out and you know you gotta recroup and go get the next one.
Speaker 2: All right, There's Jack Flaherty on sports Net, LA. I feel like He summed it up perfectly. I love that he said, Number one, stay out of it. You're not playing, and players should never feel like they're going to have baseballs thrown at them. And I love how he explained what was taking place between him and Machado. I did not see Machado throw the baseball at the Dodger dugout. That explains a lot why I carried over onto the field. I mean, that's a no go either. But the way you get the Padres back if you're the Dodgers is beat them. Beat them in Game three, beat them in this series. You can't get too emotional, get caught up. You know, Magic Johnson was here for the second straight night. If you remember, you know, even if you're not old enough to remember, but you've heard the stories. In nineteen eighty four, the Lakers were cruising over the Celtic. They were on their way, but then all of a sudden, the Celtics try to turn it into a dirty series, a physical series. Kevin McHale, the closed line of Kurt rambis Uh that turned that got the Lakers out of their game, got them emotional. They try to turn it into a street fight more than just playing their game. That's what these Dodgers cannot allow to happen. That's the padres. Let them do their thing. You've got to keep your composure and beat them between the lines. That's the best way to get back at them. All Right. Here is Manny Machado on his side of the story as far as what took place tonight and what took place between him and Jack Flaherty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, he made some good pitches, right, he made callor pitches got me, got me going. And you know he won that competition, right, you know, made his pitches. I couldn't deliver with with with that situation there, want to run as a first and second outs, right, So he won.
Speaker 2: That one for sure.
Speaker 5: What were you guys saying that you just going back and forth competition, right? I mean things that happened in between the lines. People, people were just going going, going back and forth. Yeah, he's he's competing for her back club and I'm trying to trying to get to pay hit for my team. So yeah, man, I mean this is the beauty of post season baseball.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: Did you take exception with something he said to you?
Speaker 5: No, I mean I didn't en see it. I didn't see it until happen until my my, my Doug out started started screaming back at him. So I mean he wanted maybe he made he made his pitches, right, I swung at a ball for you know, he got me twice today, and you know, I ride, you know, I said my cat. You know when when credits do, I kept walking, he made his pitch.
Speaker 2: I kept going.
Speaker 5: But you know, I then I get to the end of the dug out and I see my team starts starts, starts sparking. So you know, that's kind of when I figured, you know something, he was probably saying something, and that's when everything kind.
Speaker 2: Of just went out and I didn't even.
Speaker 8: Know what's going on.
Speaker 9: You guys when you went back out for the field, you were still going at it.
Speaker 10: When Jack was in the dugout. What was being said there almost like he was challenging you.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, I mean, honestly, I mean, I mean, you can't really hear this with this crowd, so I don't really know what was going was ring set a bunch of dibbers going back and forth, and you know, just uh, you know, I was alonging for us after that with with balls being thrown and you know, kind of icing our pictures a picture there in a little bit, and you know I was coming out and then having that LA zero was huge for us as well. So yeah, man, it's.
Speaker 2: It's, it's, it's.
Speaker 5: It's a beautiful thing to be playing full season baseball.
Speaker 2: Man, all right, there's Manny. Machado really did not get into as much detail as Jack flaherty did, but that's Manny. Eight six six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Padres in Game two of the NLDS ten to two. Now, I know there's many of you that are emotional. The series is over. The Dodgers stink. They can't do anything against the Padres. They can't do anything in the playoffs. How can it go from last night to that feeling tonight? If you've been listening to me, I had told you tonight was going to be a tough night for the Dodgers to win. And that's why last night for me was a must win because of how good you Darvish has been against the Dodgers, and tonight was no different. Look, the Padres hit six home runs tonight. They got a great start from you Darvish seven innings. The Dodgers got an okay start from Jack Flaherty, and their offense was nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, the Dodgers seven eight to nine hitters could not get on bays to create traffic. When Otani came to the plate, they were just two for eight. Tonight, Otani was over four. Mookie Betts was OH for four, including being robbed of what would have been a momentum turning play for not only the Dodgers, but for Mookie Betts, who now is OH for his last twenty two and postseason at bats. That would have changed everything for Mookie, And right now he's got to put all of that aside. You can see it in his eyes. He's feeling it, and now more people are going to be talking about it. OH for his last twenty two in the postseason. He's got to block all that out and just take it one at bat at a time. He's not going to change the narrative with one at bat. He almost did by tying the game up there in the first inning. So Mookie's going to be there in Game three, and I firmly believe he's going to have an impact on this series, the Dodgers still dealing with Freddy Freeman. He gave it a go. He started, but had to come out of the game in the sixth inning. Key k Hernandez came in in the third. Max Munsey moved a first. What this does if Freddy Freeman cannot be in the starting lineup for the Dodgers in Game three, it makes their lineup not as deep. But I have no issues with having a Key k a Hernandez in the starting lineup. He is that good in October. There's a lot to unpack in the game tonight. Jose Mota is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. We'll hear from more Dodgers and Padres as we move along. But let's go out to the fans. Hopefully these are the fans that did not overstep, But if you were, let's go, let's go out to Rosa. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Rosa.
Speaker 11: I'm doing fine.
Speaker 3: I don't have much of a voice after the last two games, but I'm.
Speaker 11: Hanging in there.
Speaker 3: The reason I called is and I completely agree with everything you said in terms of the fans overreacting and then improperly reacting I sit in Section fifty three, right next to Dodger Bulp, and I've been there for twenty years, and I got to tell you, I was embarrassed. I was embarrassed by the behavior. It was uncalled for. I saw Profar walk over and give a Dodger fan the ball, and then the next thing I see is he throws the ball out and then all hell breaks loose and other people start throwing stuff.
Speaker 11: I was embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Well, so that's how it started. Profar actually was being a good mirroreden in some ways and handing a ballock we see guys do to fans, and the fan threw it back at him.
Speaker 11: But there is a little bit of a click to that. I was so embarrassed.
Speaker 3: There was some Padre fans sitting in section fifty one near the.
Speaker 11: Field that were standing there at the end of the game, and I went.
Speaker 3: Over and I said, not all God, your fans are idiots. I want to apologize.
Speaker 12: And they said.
Speaker 11: Profar kind of brought it upon himself, and I said what. The guy did not.
Speaker 3: Want to take the ball from Profar the guy and Profar kept pushing.
Speaker 11: The ball at the guy and smirked. He kind of smirked the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand, but still you can't be throwing baseballs at the players. And honestly, Profar and Tattis they were antagged nice. And the fans in the left and right field areas I saw when all hell was breaking loose out there, and the Dodger security team, which did a great job trying to cool down the situation. You got tattoos making faces to the fans in the pavilion. Uh, that's really stupid number one. If you're tattoos number two, it's not helping the situation. Rosa thanks a lot for that play by playing enlightening us on how all that dramas started. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to call. Like I said, I just feel horrible about the way they funds acted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. It wasn't a good look for anybody. And you heard what Jack Flaherty had to say. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Shadow Hills. Eric, you're on Dodger Talk. Hi Eric at DV.
Speaker 9: You're on point with so many thoughts and I'm gonna rattle oft some points and I want your thoughts on my voice. Okay, okay, right, if you're a fan in those left field right field pavilions and that ball is coming, you do everything you can to knock that ball out the glove.
Speaker 2: Okay, pro glove would have been halfway up the aisle.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 9: Profar Show voted. That's what got the ire of the Dodger fans. I'm not saying what they did was right, but I understand, and you're right. If you want to, if you want to contribute to the game, do it in that way. You know what Key K finally bearing barreling up on the ball. Okay, he's a postseason dude. You're right, he should be in. And this leads to my main point. Bro. The ninth spot in the order is the most important. Okay, I say, either flip flop Rojas or Edmund or put Kek in for Rojas and make sure that sho Hay has runners on base, because if show Hay is not having having dues on base, it really is pointless.
Speaker 2: You know, last they did a good job. Eric, Tonight they did not, and you Darvish had a big say and all that, but I'm with you. You know, if Freddy can't go, and I have no issues with Keik Hernandez being in there at third base. That's the reason why when they signed Key k Hernandez back late in spring training, they said it was for October. So hopefully Keik can get more at bats in this series. Thanks for the phone call, Eric appreciated. I'm with you on that. Eight six six nine, eight seven two seventy is the phone number, Manny in downtown. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing many TV.
Speaker 13: I'm just frustrated as ever tonight, especially after such a such an awesome game yesterday. Yeah, so we got to take this playoff mode one game at a time. I don't even know where to begin. There's one good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start at the beginning, Nanny. Really, this is about getting better starting pitching, and we knew going into this series. The Dodgers starting pitching is not what I'm sure they envisioned when the season began. And you can't continue to try to come back from three or four runs down. That takes a mental toll on your offense. It puts a lot of pressure on your hitters. The Dodgers need to get a start where it's a zero in the first inning. The first inning of Game three is going to be huge for the Dodgers. Walker Buehler needs to put up a zero, and it would be great since the Dodgers are hitting first to get a runner two across. So I feel like the first inning is big as big as the ninth inning in that game.
Speaker 13: I'll get to Walker Bueller and I absolutely agree. And I do agree with so many of the things you said today. Fans, do yourself a favor. Don't get involved. These guys get paid the big bucks.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 13: We end up getting arrested, So do as a favor. Don't go out there. Jack Flaherty, he was such a dog to and I Dave and I just love the postgame interview too of what really happened. And I'm gonna take his word for it because he was a guy on the side of the field barking at Machado. We need more dogs like that in the clubhouse because those dogs have to wake up guys like Mookie Bets, Matt's Max Muncy, and tonight was a big example of what happens when sho Hey sometimes goes zero for three. The guy is a human being. He's not going to go off every single game. We need these other guys to pick up the slack. I felt like tonight they were lifeless, especially after Freddie Freeman went down.
Speaker 2: Well, they were lobulous because the offense wasn't doing much. Whenever an offense isn't doing much, that's what we hear. They're lifeless. And that's why I said, if you were listening last night, Manny, why last night was a must win game because it was going to be tough to score against you, Darvish, And it proved out to be true. That's why winning last night was so monumental for the Dodgers. So I firmly believe this series is going five. There's a possibility the Dodgers can win two in San Diego. I would say it's unlikely, but I believe the Dodgers will be able to split and then bring this back for Game five. And if if I'm the Dodgers, I'm starting Jack Flaherty on four days rest in Game five. I'm sorry, Jack Flaherty's that guy.
Speaker 6: I'll be sorry.
Speaker 9: I absolutely agree Walker Bueler, I'm wishing he's the best.
Speaker 13: Just get out of that first inning and set the tone for rest of the guys.
Speaker 2: That's all all right, thanks for the phone call man, he appreciated. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall in Game two of the NLDS ten to two to the San Diego Padres. Freddie Freeman did start in this game, but was taken out in the sixth inning because that right ankle was giving him a lot of problems. Interesting to see whether or not Xander Bogarts will be in the starting lineup for the Padres on Tuesday night, because after he hit his all out home run during that at bat, he was looking like he was grabbing his right hand string. So did Bogarts blow out on that home run in a blowout game? That would be ridiculous. I mean, if I'm Mike Shilt, I'm taking Bogarts out even before he hits that home run. I take him out in the middle of that at bat. And the Padres again used ten Or Scott in a blowout game. So you know, when are these Padre relievers going to start running on fumes? I feel like that's on the Dodgers side as well, because tonight Dave Roberts used his lower leverage relievers. Being so far behind late in the game. But honestly, Otani needs help. It's got to be the bottom of the order to get on base. They're aware of that, but he needs help from Mooki Bets. Mookie Bets has got to turn it on and he can't try to get twenty two hits back in one at bat. He's got to take it one at bat at a time. He's got to realize that, yes, he did have what we all thought was a game tying home run in the first stinting, it wasn't meant to be. So he's got to continue to put in the work and not doubt himself because sometimes that can happen. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head back downstairs to hear from Fernando Tattis Junior, who is making some weird facial expressions to the Dodger fans while he was in the dugout.
Speaker 14: Definitely wild, I hear, but at the same time, as a good environment for baseball, although people get carried away a little bit for the emotions, you know, but I mean it's a good back and forth and you know, at the end of the day, it's the show and I should enjoyed every moment.
Speaker 7: Did you feel about what took place on the top of the seventh inning with the things coming on the field security.
Speaker 14: I just think, like I said, just the emotion is going through the roof. You know, Dodger fans, they were just not happy. I mean, they're losing a game, obviously, and just a lot of back and forth, and what can I say it was I wish they could control a little bit more of their emotion. But at the end of the day, and I see this as part of a game. Aldon straight back. I know you often hear it from fans in right field.
Speaker 13: Did today seemingly like in your mind go over the line a little bit like?
Speaker 15: And at what point did it kind of escalate the back and forth with you and the fans out here tonight?
Speaker 14: For me, I feel like just when I went over to the line one to start throwing stuff into the field, I feel like then that should not be happening on a big league game. And then the words, I mean, you know, fans are coming over here to a baseball park to enjoy themselves. They can say whatever they want. I really don't know mine. I'll start shipping bag and you know, back, I'll give you a moment of you know, where you can enjoy yourself, just me talking to you as a fan. And yeah, just I just see it that way and I embrace embrace it that way.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Fernando Tattoos Junior. I thought he had a good perspective on it. Look, the fans in right field, we're doing what fans all across America have done to Tattoos, you know, channing the steroids, steroids, and look, he has a pretty good sense of humor over it. But what I didn't like was, as security was trying to cool down the situation, he's taunting the fans in that situation by looking at him, smirking at him, smiling basically, you know, not trying to cool things down. Profar went back to his position in left field and kept his back to the crowd and did not go back out there and acknowledge them. And I believe that's what took place. The second time security had to go out there, They talked to Tattoos and said, look, man, try to help us out here. You don't need to be looking at the fans in the pavilion. Just concentrate on the Game eight, six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Padres tonight, ten to two. The Padres hit six home runs tonight, two of them from Fernando Tattis Junior, who needs to be stopped. We talk about Otani, Well, from the Padres side, it's Tattis Junior. Tatist Junior was three for four tonight with two home runs. In this series the first two games, he's five for eight with three home runs, two doubles, and four runs scored. Forget about all this other stuff. The Dodgers have got to find a way to make Fernando Tattis Junior uncomfortable in that batter's box. And that's why I love what Jack Flaherty had to say. He made a couple of bad pitches. He wasn't going to leave another one out over the plate for him, and if he hits them, he hits them. That was the attitude of the Saint Louis Cardinals during the twenty thirteen season, where they would hit three or four Dodgers, including our guy Joe Kelly breaking Hanley Ramirez's ribs in Game one. Well, he was throwing fastballs inside and saying, you know what, if I hit him, I hit him, I don't care, but I'm not going to you know, I'll shy away from that. And that's why I love Jack Flaherty and that's why I believe Jack Flaherty should start Game five back here at Dodgers Stadium if it comes to that. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Aaron in Van Eyes, the Great One. Eight.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Aaron, Well, Daves, I'm pretty disappointed, to be honest with you, and I have a couple of comments and I just want to, you know.
Speaker 9: Get your thoughts.
Speaker 8: First comment is that Yoshi Yamamoto has been an adject failure this year. He's done nothing for the team.
Speaker 2: I want to go that far. That started at Yankee Stadium was pretty awesome.
Speaker 8: And then he went down for seven months after that start, he disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say it hasn't been everything that we heard he would be. I'll say that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, only goes three innings last night. And if he's planning on being the game fine starter. If the series goes five games, I have zero faith that he'll get out of the third inning.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I want Jack flerity to start on four days.
Speaker 8: Rest, well, good luck, because the way these guys need a week and a half between starts on my banking on it.
Speaker 2: Frankly, Okay, so you're giving up on the series.
Speaker 8: Well, basically, I think why the.
Speaker 2: Tonight has no bearing on what's going to happen on Tuesday night. They're going to be emotionally charged. That stadium is going to be emotionally charged, maybe a little bit more after what took place in the seventh inning. But if Walker Buehler goes into Peco Park and shuts the padres down in the first inning, and let's say, show hey o Tani leads the game off with a home run, all of a sudden, now we're not thinking about this game.
Speaker 8: But Walker Buehler is a shell of himself after the surgery. He just is not the same He's.
Speaker 2: Not the same picture. But he still is effective in the last couple of starts here, and I like what I've seen.
Speaker 8: I gotta disagree, David. I just feel like he's too much of a question.
Speaker 2: I agree, it's more of an I'm with you. This is where the Dodgers are. We all knew that going into the postseason. But I will say this, I don't bet against competitors. Clayton Kershaw finds a way, Jack Flaherty finds a way, Walker Bueller finds a way. He will find a way, Aaron, even though he's not the same guy he was in twenty eighteen. And I want you to call me after the game Tuesday night to rub it in my face or let's talk it out.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 8: And my last comment is that right after the game, I went to the grocery store to get some dinner and I saw a Mookie Debt's face on a milk carton.
Speaker 2: He is missing, he is missing. But how would you have felt it Profar doesn't come up with that catch.
Speaker 8: I would have felt better, obviously because the game would have been tied. And who knows from there. But I mean movies for showing us the same things he's inn after season.
Speaker 2: Mia, he's over his last twenty two, Aaron. I can't disagre there as far as over his last twenty two in the postseason, But like I said, things would have been a lot different if Profar doesn't make a great catch and the fans in the left field field seats aren't as polite as they should have been. They shouldn't have been that polite.
Speaker 8: Said the other night about how apparently Mookie took four hundred swings or something in the backage. Yeah, I mean to what effect?
Speaker 9: To what effect?
Speaker 2: He had a great game that night? Which night the night they clinched the NL West. Well, okay, I'm not disagreeing with you. He hasn't performed well in the first two games of the series. Erin, I'm not disagreeing with you. But should he just not show up? Should he stay in La? Should he not get on the bus to San Diego? Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 8: No, he definitely should go down there. But I just don't know where his his his passion is. I mean, you can swing, you can swing a bat in a cage five thousand times, but if you can't swing against the real life pitcher, he doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Aaron, fair enough. But I will say this, Mookie Bets cares a lot. Aaron. I'm not questioning that this year.
Speaker 8: Questioning how much he cares. I'm just questioning the results, which are.
Speaker 2: No, you're questioning how much he cares too. You questioned how much.
Speaker 8: He cared, Well, maybe that's how you saw it, then so be it. But I mean that's what.
Speaker 2: You said, that's what you said at him. All right, call me back tuesday.
Speaker 8: I'll do that, David.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, Aaron, appreciate it. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy. Look, I'm not conceding anything. This series was going to be tough to win. I firmly believed going into it the Dodgers were going to win in five games, and I'm standing by that. I thought all five of the games would be close. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that Padres were going to come in here and score ten runs in a playoff game. I thought we were past that. But you know, things went sideways. With some relief that frankly won't be used when the game is on the line, Ryan Brasier, at Guardo Enriquez and Michael Grove. The Dodgers put in three guys that maybe Brazier is one of those guys like we saw last night, but the other two are not going to be in games that are closely contested. And unfortunately, tonight and went the Padres way. But I didn't think the Dodgers had a great chance of winning tonight against you, Darvish, and we saw that seven innings, one earn run. But never in my wildest dreams did I think the Padres were going to come in here and hit six home runs and scored ten runs. And what's going to change That is the first inning of Game three in San Diego. Eight six six, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue from Dodgers Stadium, we'll check in with Jose Mota and we'll take more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Padres even up the series one a pee after a ten to two win over the Dodgers on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with David Bass. David Basse with you until the top of the hour on Dodger Talk. After Game two of the NLDS goes the Padres way in a big way, ten to two. The final score eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Game three of the NLDS will be on Tuesday night at Petco Park. Walker Buehler will be on the mound for the Dodgers. We expect it to be Michael King for the Padres. First pitches at six oh five. Our coverage begins at five o'clock. All right, we'll get back out the phones in a moment, but first let's check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, we talked about the fans stepping over the line, but how big of a part did Profari and Tatisse play and all of this happening tonight.
Speaker 15: Well, you know what, as a player, you want to just avoid escalating anything like that. Can you got to just pretty much ignore it and after help get security involved in. Tell your manager, I don't feel safe out of the outfield, and I want you to just take control of the situations. So you know, the players should never be involved in inciting a little bit more of what was happening, because we knew, and you said it from the beginning, it was going to be an intense series. A lot of feelings, the rivalry which been you know, magnified and for sure it has played off to it. You know everything that was projected, So players need to really stay out of it and know that also same thing for the fans. You know, just enjoy the game, were respectful. At the same time, you know you want to be affector because you're not going to be a factor.
Speaker 2: Jose, you got what you wanted. You text me after Tattooses first two at bats, those were way too comfortable. Somebody's got to move his feet. That somebody was Jack Flaherty and he hit him. What do the Dodgers have to do moving forward to try to stop Tattoos from just feeling like he could have batting practice during games.
Speaker 9: Well, you got to do this.
Speaker 15: Look at what he texts pitches, Dave Let's indications. See if the players comfortable a lot. I mean there's no hesitation in him taking any pitch where he's on the seals. And you know the Dodger pitcher that has done the best job against Tatis in my time here, Joe Kelly. I mean he does not want to see Joe Kelly because Joe is crazy, right, You know what, being a little crazy sometimes, I think you got to be a little crazy sometimes and make him feel uncomfortable. I'm not calling for him to get hit, but if it hits him, it hits him. That's just the way you play the game, right. But you cannot allow him to be diving and covering so much from the middle outside, lay enough of pitches and hurting you with some good pits that you make because he is just not afraid of being busted inside, so and deve. I'm telling you it could be ninety three, it could be nightey, yet it doesn't matter. Hitters do not want to see consistently anything near their bodies, near their hands. I'm not advocating going up above the shoulders, but it's part of the game. Has been around for a long time, and it's all big deeds to say, I'm going to own one part of the plate. I'll give you another one to make sure you give me one, because if not, I'm going to come after you.
Speaker 2: How did you feel about Flaherty doing what he did. It seemed like he executed everything that you described and recognized, Hey, I've got to establish some part of the plate.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 15: I feel good about it when it happened, but I think it should have happened earlier. It should have happened earlier, and you know, it goes back to Tassi's this season against the Dodgers in San Diego. And here it's a matter of just understanding that he does react to this outstanding talent, great power, but he feeds up you're not doing that. And you see the way all the teams pitch for him sometimes when he goes into these droughts and he's on his heel. So I think the lesson has been learned that you know, you got to do it early in the game, because early in the game, I guarantee you there's gonna be some hanging pitches that he's not going to get to later in again because in his head steel like they're gonna go out there and bust be inside. And then the other thing two is this, in modern day baseball, you don't pitch inside as effectively as he used to. But also you don't repeat inside. So there's a message here, and hitters will tell you this. A guy comes inside one time, and I don't expect it to be again, even in for a strike inside. In that case, it's pretty much a message you send a player that if you repeat it inside, get me have to play. Maybe you fall behind to a zero. Now you're hang something and may not be able to get a good swing at it or even get to the ball, because I'm still thinking in the back of my head, i just don't feel comfortable, and being uncomfortable in a bout hiss box is not about thing when you're trying to stop somebody who's been hurting you so much.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us after Game two of the NLD, which goes the padres Way ten to two. The final score this series is evened up at one apiece. Game three is coming up on Tuesday night. Just to get your thoughts on the two injured players that left the game tonight. Number one, Freddy Freeman. We all know what he's been dealing with with the right ankle, But how about Bogart's leaving this game after his home run. A lot of people around me and the press box we're surprised that Mike Shildt even allowed him to continue that at bat in a blowout game. So number one, let's start with Freddie Freeman. Do you believe he'll be able to make another start in this series?
Speaker 15: Well, I'm going to play this way. If Freddy gets out of the game, and it's meaningful. Freddy does not want to come out of game. Freddy did not want to come out of the game. I free hear his ankle, you know, jumping around first base and landing awkwardly. So it means a lot. Hopefully the off day and some treatment tonight and the out there tomorrow will be able to help him out. But it gets a point now where you don't want him to be limited on what he does on the field because he wants to play hurt. And then in a series like this, there's no tomorrow. He can't look back and say, you know, we're gonna use him again in a week. You have to take care of Freddy. And if it's one not bad that he can give you in a game Tuesday, then let it be that one not bad, but certainly cannot for yourself or the team or Freddy and jeopardize anything that might happen. Is you need him in the long run here, hopefully for a long run here in October, because it's impactful the way he plays a games, smart he is, and what he means to the ball club. And then profile I'm bogarts. I'm sorry, I was actually surprised in a game like that. But Mike Child, through the years of Saint Louis now with San Diego, has always trusted the player's voice. And I'm sure that Bogarts did not want to come out of the game and he pretty much said, I'll live you in there. But at some point as a manager, as I said same thing with Dave Robertson and Freddie Freemant, you have to take charge and know that what's at stake here because you don't want to lose Keith Peeples like the loves a shar Stop and Kim you cannot lose Bullguards.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, can't wait to see you on Tuesday night at Petco Park. It will be a electric down there. Padres Dodgers. The beat La chance will be off the charts, and the Dodgers need to keep their composure. I'm sure you feel the same way.
Speaker 15: Feel the same way. Also, go out there and help out the offense. It's hard to play from behind. Yeah, we looked up on the first third of the third of the game, and I feel good about Walker Bieler. If somebody can send message and guys getting on come from Batts box. I believe that he can get it done. So let's hope for a good start for him and the offensive. Go out there and get up the nice start in San Diego, no doubt, be nice to have.
Speaker 2: An Otani leadoff home run, but it can't just be Otani, Jose. They need some help from the other guys as well.
Speaker 15: It has to be more to the potters. Have shown that you're they're vulnerable in the stolen base, and you got to be able to put some guys on base. A lot of transit, a lot of distractions. Is a day yesterday, but today typical cap because your divers which is untouchable pretty much, and their defense brilliant.
Speaker 2: No doubt they made some nice plays tonight. Thanks Jose, appreciate it. But I know just there he goes Hose a motive part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Pepe and Ingez and the great Fernando Valezuela. Our thoughts are with Fernando, a speedy recovery. Whatever you're dealing with. We can't wait to see you back at the ballpark. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six nine to eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to the phones. Chris was at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Chris, were you out there in the left field field seats? Could you have knocked the ball out of profar As glove?
Speaker 9: Nah?
Speaker 8: David to be honest, bros.
Speaker 6: And Rfael throwing those beer cans if I honestly like I.
Speaker 9: Game?
Speaker 2: Hey, Chris, hold up, hold up? Were you one of the guys throwing beer cans?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 11: You know I'm not a liar around here, but you.
Speaker 15: Know, I like, you can't be doing that.
Speaker 2: You can't be doing that.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, but.
Speaker 15: Like, honestly, like I was just really upset.
Speaker 2: You know, Chris, you can't do that. We love you, we want you to come back, but you can't do that. I'm sorry. Thanks for the phone call. I can't just keep giving a platform like that. I appreciate him coming clean. Chris, appreciate you coming clean, but you can't do that. Let's go out to Kyle, who was at the game as well. Kyle, you're on Dodger Talk. I think we appreciate Chris's honesty, but I can't let that continue to go right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Hey, Dave, good to hear from you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, good on Chris for keeping it real, but you know, it's definitely no place to throw trash on your own home teams field.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just I mean, the Padres are an emotional team. You made them even more emotional, and they kind of embarrassed the Dodgers and the fans. They had the last word, scoring six runs combined in the last two innings. So what Chris and others were doing completely backfired and really made us look bad out here. And that's not the majority of Dodger fans.
Speaker 7: No, definitely not. You know, I think that that story of that seventh inning is, you know, been really well told by you and.
Speaker 8: The other callers today.
Speaker 7: But you know, Dave, I was personally calling because I think the real story for me tonight was seeing Darvash just cruised through this lineup and I really felt like the Dodgers were just not giving the bats needed to get Darvish out of the game. I mean, I was thinking about that Padres bullpen and how they used four arms last night, and my hope was Darviish would be out by the fifth inning, and you know, Ben Flaherty goes out and we have to go to our bullpen after we used what five guys last night. I felt like the Dodgers were really not Givingvish tough at bats. I felt like seeing so many balls fly out to the warning track. Obviously the ball profar got in the stands and the Ki Ki Hernandez ball out the center field were really close, But I mean, how many balls can you see flyout to the warning track or deep into the outfield before you start thinking, maybe, you know, a smaller ball approach or just trying to get that pitch count up is a better offensive strategy.
Speaker 2: I thought the first two innings against Darvish was good opportunities to do that Kyle, because even when he was with the Dodgers, to a certain extent, they condensed his repertoire. But since he's been with the Padres again, he has a lot of different pitches, and early in the game he's trying to figure out which three or four he has a good feel for, and that's the time to get him. Once he settles in and he has found those three or four, it's going to be really tough to hit him, as we saw tonight. So I'm with you, But you know, I know everybody's emotional obviously was throwing beer cans onto the field. Others think the series is over, it's tied one one. This is a real series. It wasn't going to be a sweep no matter what you thought. I feel like this is going five games. You are going to see the Dodgers back here at Dodgers Stadium to close out this series.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree with you, Dave. I mean, I'm really hoping that when we roll into San Diego. You know, I think that the emotions being high is a good thing. I think that it's a great thing to play at an emotional team like the Padres, because I think the Dodgers can match that. I think that the Dodgers have thea.
Speaker 2: What I want them to. I don't want them to try to be as emotional as the Padres. I want them to have the intensity and focus, but they can't try to be them. That's their thing. The Dodgers thing is to keep their their their focus and their emotions in check. That's what has made the Dodgers so good in the past. And yeah, I mean when they have big hits, you're going to see emotion. But yeah, I just don't think they can. They're not the padres. The padres thrive on that stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean if the emotion is to is to you know, trying to get in spats with fans or you know, trying to bring hay outs on of the field, that's a different thing.
Speaker 2: But I do really shot Tatiste to rattle you. I don't want to see that happen either.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was a very cathartic, uh you know home run for show Hey last night. I felt like it was a really momentous part for him, and I felt like that emotion is really good for the Dodgers seeing players like that again in copex that emotion, yes, that we're looking for exactly.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the phone call, Kyle. We'll talk to you soon. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to the phones. Matt, who is in San Diago. Matt, you're on Dodger talk.
Speaker 15: What's up, David?
Speaker 10: Thanks for taking my call. Uh, you know, I'm big town A show I called earlier this year and I had my friend who's a national fan. Remember that one, Yeah, I do. Yeah, that's good stuff.
Speaker 8: No, but I just wanted a call.
Speaker 10: I was at the game last.
Speaker 2: But that was it good?
Speaker 8: I wasn't sure it was.
Speaker 9: It was a good call.
Speaker 8: I thought that was funny.
Speaker 10: I don't know if and you want to talk to them?
Speaker 2: What do you got tonight?
Speaker 10: I was gonna I was gonna call on about a couple of things that then. Since then and a few of the callers have brought it up, but I wanted to laugh about the rivalry between San Diego and and the Dodgers because I lived in the Bay Area for a long time when the Giants were in their dynasty run, and now I'm living in San Diego as the Padres are playing pretty good. And the biggest difference between the two rivalries are most Padres fans aren't from San Diego, So I'm talking to a lot of transplants and moved here two years ago and have hopped on the bandwagon. They're the ones saying or spreading the Dodger hate, Whereas when I was in the Bay Area, it was generationally deep families from the Bay Area that have hated the Dodgers their whole live. So there's more history behind that revelry. Where it's down here, it feels fabricated. But I will say after tonight, I do have to admit that there's a rivalry between the Dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is for this period of time. It's like the Lakers and Sacramento Kings, Matt That's the way I feel. Hey, I'm getting some Instagram followers sending me video, firsthand video of what took place, and it adds up to what our first caller of the night, Rosa said, where Profar was trying to hand the baseball to the fan wearing the Alex Vesia jersey who could have gotten in the way of Profar making that fantastic catch on Mookie Betts in the first inning, and the fan, the Vesia fan, had the baseball after Profar taunted him and handed in the baseball and he threw it towards the infield. He did not try to throw it towards Profar. And then another fan threw a baseball at Profar, and that's what kind of set off security and Profar kind of feeling unsafe that fans were throwing stuff on the field towards him. But I'm not going to absolve the fans for going a little overboard there. But I'm certainly not going to absolve jerks and Profar from kind of crossing the line as well. If you're going to go towards the fans in a taunting way, I'm not sure what you're expecting when you're in a road ballpark in a playoff game and it's Dodgers Stadium and you just made that catch. I'm not sure what you expect. You want to play that game. You're not just going to get fans that say, oh, okay, thank you, mister Profar. No, that's not going to happen. So I think Profar should just keep that curtain between him and the fans. And honestly, those fans out there in the short wall of the field section down there by the foul pole, they could have done a lot more to affect Profar's night in that first inning rather than that seven. But Profar is uh not free of any sort of guilt in all this. Let's go out to Alfredo, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Alfredo, you're on Dodger Talk Alfred Radio off.
Speaker 12: Yes, sir, how you doing.
Speaker 2: Are you in the same car with our guy Chris? It sounds the same?
Speaker 10: No, no, no, no, no, that was that was another guy.
Speaker 2: I you know, I love I love our fans. I love the people that listen to the show. But man, I I couldn't let Chris continue after admitting he was one of the guys throwing beer cans onto the field. I I love that he was on. I gave him his platform for a second, but I can't just keep let it keep going.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we we love our fans, we love our team. But yeah, it's I mean, it's one thing that is getting out of line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Profar, I mean you wanted to call in about Profar taunting? Were you sitting around there what I just described because I just saw I just saw a video of it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we're in the left left field as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could you could you have slapped the ball out of his glove in the first inning?
Speaker 3: I would have.
Speaker 15: I would have done it.
Speaker 9: Who I was close to the ball, Yes, I would have.
Speaker 2: Where were you?
Speaker 15: I was like, uh on the section?
Speaker 12: Gee, we're like doors the Paul.
Speaker 2: All right, make a Playoffredo next time? How about running over there trying to make a play.
Speaker 12: No, I was that was too far.
Speaker 8: I was too far.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: Put put the nachos down. You could put the nachos down and try to make a play.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we would have, We should have, but.
Speaker 12: No, they that's the that's that.
Speaker 10: That was another play that's just done our way.
Speaker 1: But it didn't.
Speaker 14: Nothing went on our way tonight.
Speaker 2: Nothing went our way. You're right, Alfredo, Hey, you're gonna be here for a game five.
Speaker 9: I definitely will if we go that far, which I think we are, but yeah, we will.
Speaker 10: We'll be there on Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: All right, love it, Alfredo. Thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it. Let's take one more phone call. Rick in San Pedro. I love San Pedro, so I gotta put Rick on. You're our final caller of the night. Rick, make it good.
Speaker 15: I am David.
Speaker 6: Hey, thank you for all your knowledge and you just do a tremendous job. You bring real common sense to baseball.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna leave you.
Speaker 6: Guys with this. I was at the game Padres were flawless. I happened about three weeks ago. To sit down and watch the Pete Rose HBO series. Charlie Hustle thing.
Speaker 12: That is so profound, so profound, he said, to be a great baseball player and to be a great baseball team, you gotta have a very short memory.
Speaker 6: What happened tonight, it's on the shelf.
Speaker 9: It's over.
Speaker 6: Give the ball to Walker. Set him up. He's a competitor, he's gonna go compete. You go compete and play, and that's how you win. And so don't forget the words of Charlie Hustle.
Speaker 2: He's exactly right, no doubt, Rick, You're right. I feel like everybody will forget about the disappointment of tonight if Walker Buehler can go down to San Diego and really give the Dodgers the kind of start that they haven't had in the first two games of this series. Appreciate the phone call Walker Bueller. By the way, in fifteen postseason starts for the Dodgers, he has an ERA of two ninety four with one hundred and one strikeouts. He'll be on the mound for the Dodgers Tuesday night at Petco Park, going up against Michael King Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck begins at five o'clock. First pitch from San Diego with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson at six oh five. Then I'll do it for us tonight. A very emotional night here at Dodgers Stadium, thanks to Dwayne McDonald who's gonna take home a full pizza and really eat his sorrows away tonight as he gets ready for Game three. Thanks to Colin Yee, who will eat whatever is free, so I'm sure he's going somewhere to get some free food tonight. Colin, thanks for all your help back there. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We will talk to you again on Tuesday night from San Diego once again. The final score in Game two of the NLDS, the Padres defeat the Dodgers ten to two. Have a great rest of your night see them