Speaker 1: The Magnificent Montague stirring Marty Wally. Yes, it's the Magnificent Montague. The Saturday Night Transcribe feature on NBC's All Star Festival of Comedy, Music, Mystery, and Drama, brought to you by Anison for fast relief from pain of headache, neurytis and euralgia by RCA Victor World Radio, first in recorded music and first in television, and by Extra Mild Fatima, best of all King Size cigarettes. In Fatima, the difference is quality. Before we join the Magnificent Montagule, here's a word from Anison. When we ask you to try Alison for the relief of pain due to a headache, neurytis on euralgia, we are not asking you to try a new or unproved method. For there are many people listening in now who have been introduced to Anison tablets by their own dentist or physician. You who have received Anison this way know the effective, incredibly fast relief these tablets spring. Anison is like a ductor's prescription. That is, Anison contains not just one but a combination of medically proven active ingredients in each to take tablet form People by the thousands are using modern anison today instead of other ways. Doesn't fair experience seem worth following? Try Allison.
Speaker 2: The next time you.
Speaker 1: Suffer pains from headache neurytis on euralgia. You will be delighted with the results. Ask your druggist for anison Today. Anison is spelled ana cin and now the magnificent monocule in the world of a theater dotted by the bosses and maritals strive. The marriage of Edwin the Magnificent Montague and his former leading lady, Lily Boyne twenty five years ago is an enviable one, yes, even today, though Edwin's mind is racked with guilt for having deserted the stage for the more lucrative role is Uncle Goodheart.
Speaker 3: Here of an afternoon.
Speaker 1: Radio program, Lily loves Edwin and Edwin loves Lily. It is morning in the Montague apartment. Agnes, the maid is up and preparing breakfast. The telephone rings.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, the residents of Edwin, Montague, Lily boy and Magnus Anderson. He's asleep, she's getting up. I'm busy. What do you want.
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: She's just getting up like I said. Okay, So all morning telephone. Well, I better get breakfast ready before the monster, I mean the master gets up.
Speaker 6: The truly, truly.
Speaker 4: Fair he gets in my hair. Oh, good morning, honey.
Speaker 7: Good morning address. Who is out on the phone.
Speaker 4: Celi, your tailor? Your friends have been calling all morning? What is it, honey? They catch are fixing a comaster game.
Speaker 7: I guess it's just a juicy piece of gossip about somebody.
Speaker 4: You know, the girl girl, she said, you mean the Flora Dora girl. I'd hate to own the corn field. Those crows were headed for.
Speaker 7: They're old friends of mine. We were on the stage together before.
Speaker 4: I'm not a deadward there still on the stage, the last stage. They're all sniping at you.
Speaker 7: They're just a little jealous of me because I have a happy marriage.
Speaker 4: Maybe each had four happy marriages. Don't exaggerate, exaggerate. Look at that Ceia Taylor? And what about that Gloria Gable? What a record six husbands in three years? Didn't that time to take up her wedding gown?
Speaker 7: Was it six? I think you're right.
Speaker 4: Shirt was sick. She has a charge account of the marriage bureau.
Speaker 7: Try and understand the magnus. They're just chasing rainbows. Looking for the pot of gold.
Speaker 4: You chase manager and just wound up with a past.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 7: They all envy me Aglas twenty five years with Edwin. Oh, never mind, Aggres, I'll get the phone.
Speaker 4: Must be one of the hags.
Speaker 7: Hello, Gloria, I'm fine, what no, no, I have Redwinstel's call Umn yet? Why what would they say about Edwin? Gloria? Would you please stop snickering and tell me.
Speaker 3: Very well?
Speaker 7: I'll find out myself. Here's the paper.
Speaker 4: Wait, here's Winchell's column.
Speaker 7: Does it mentioned Edwin's name? I mean, look here, what's it say?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 7: Huh, well, what is it?
Speaker 4: Listen to this the raised eyebrow Department. Friends of the Eddie monaghers hope the message doesn't find out he made a fool of himself last night with what copa cabanacutie?
Speaker 7: Agnes Eddie morted you that can't be Edward.
Speaker 4: Well, if it is some copa gabana Cutie's gone clean out of her mind.
Speaker 7: Oh Edwin in a night club with a chorus what else?
Speaker 4: Thank You're beauty?
Speaker 8: And the beast.
Speaker 7: Edwin was homeless, like.
Speaker 4: He's done every night in the last twenty five years.
Speaker 7: Of all things to say about Edward.
Speaker 4: Don't last, honey, he's at that awkward age, too old for yo yos and too young for social security.
Speaker 2: Can you you.
Speaker 7: Picture Edward at the Copacabana, carrying.
Speaker 4: On carrying on one rumber they carry him out.
Speaker 7: We better find out who this Eddy mooregue is.
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 4: It is the voice the firestone.
Speaker 7: Let me break it.
Speaker 3: To good morning darling.
Speaker 2: What's the joke that'd be funny?
Speaker 3: Good morning? I did. What's happening here is like waking up in the middle of a Milton Bill Stu the audience.
Speaker 2: That's what's so funny.
Speaker 7: Stop laughing.
Speaker 4: Better be for my girdle, sad snap and.
Speaker 7: All his coffee evans.
Speaker 5: Sit down, Let me in on it.
Speaker 3: What he is so funny?
Speaker 7: Winch's column?
Speaker 3: So is my name mentioned?
Speaker 9: Read it?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah? Anybody?
Speaker 9: You may you pullse with what co when his wife finds a Bedwin Montague.
Speaker 7: But it's a different Montague.
Speaker 3: But the world will.
Speaker 7: Wait when stop being ridiculous. No one who knows you will ever believe you're running around with a chorus girl.
Speaker 5: And why not, well, because.
Speaker 3: Well where.
Speaker 4: Let's face it, pal at your age.
Speaker 9: All right, A man's just for that you're not getting Memorial Day off. Your old Civil War regiment will march without you.
Speaker 4: Oh, button, you're.
Speaker 7: Dead when it is childish. I wouldn't have stayed married to you twenty five years if I didn't still think you were the most attractive and charming man in the wood.
Speaker 4: Reallyly, oh sure you're the last of the red hot poppers.
Speaker 9: All right, all right, now, let's have breakfast, Lily, me and a.
Speaker 3: I' let's put it in my scrap book.
Speaker 7: Oh I missed the door.
Speaker 4: I'll get it, missus. Blame honey, it's your mother.
Speaker 1: Mother, Lily, my babby.
Speaker 10: I'm taking you right home to Cleave.
Speaker 7: But I flew you the Minuti red Winter with column. How can you stay in the same house with this route?
Speaker 3: And now, Missy come near me?
Speaker 7: It's disgusting, will you, Lily my? Who betrayed baby? I told you about actors. I knew it wouldn't last.
Speaker 3: We've been married twenty five years. What is that one night in an court?
Speaker 7: Whyet you, old wolf mother?
Speaker 4: Lily?
Speaker 7: I told you about men like him.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is ridiculous, ridiculous?
Speaker 10: Is it ridiculous for a mother to try and save her babies from an old reprobate who spends every night and sea easies when colors go move, Lily, I'm taking you home.
Speaker 7: Your old room is ready. Uncle Charlie picked your dollhouse.
Speaker 9: Oh goody goody, that's all placed in the bottle, Edwin, Lily, I refused me to.
Speaker 2: He's like a dazz mad Romeo out.
Speaker 7: Of a too slimy she Thank Heaven's I got your time.
Speaker 9: Mother.
Speaker 7: Edwin and I have been married for twenty five years. We'll have it and old.
Speaker 3: An old? What are you going to tell them? We're under ad.
Speaker 7: Now now, Edwin, let me explain it to her.
Speaker 2: Mother.
Speaker 7: Edwin and I are one of the happiest couples in New York. He's even touched you, to lie h to think of? That's for the feast you broke your engagement to Tarlie Hoskin. Mother will in this jelly. I warned you about the big city. I knew no good whatever comedy. We're happy your father hated, don't mother?
Speaker 9: Mean? Wow?
Speaker 5: Who is Charlie Hoskin.
Speaker 7: A timer man than you'll ever be? Mister Edwin Montague a respectable man.
Speaker 10: Lily was engaged to it till you who came along with your sneaky ways and let her down.
Speaker 3: The road to ruin.
Speaker 9: Now, really, mother, Lily, how can you never told me about Charlie Husky Edwin.
Speaker 7: He's a boy I grew up with, owns his own dry goods. Or now, oh, Lily, to take you through all that away? Other stop Edwin, it's.
Speaker 2: Unimportant, Cleane. You have told me about this Charlie dry goods.
Speaker 7: Now Edwin, don't start.
Speaker 10: I'll tell you about Charlie Huskins. He's a decent, hard working businessman, but he must sound dull you, mister sugar daddy. His name is never in the gossip column linked with Collins.
Speaker 3: Girl, Will you shut up.
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 7: Dare you speak to my mother like that?
Speaker 3: Just come here?
Speaker 7: Don't shout at us.
Speaker 2: Think I flew.
Speaker 9: Here all the way from Cleve Well, get on your broom and fly back.
Speaker 7: Edwin. I'm ashamed of you, Lily.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 7: And when you apologize to my mother.
Speaker 3: Lily, come home.
Speaker 7: He's a month even, don't you dare? I'm hold a seat fire, horrible mother?
Speaker 9: Oh what is it the time.
Speaker 4: I'll be late for his broadcast?
Speaker 3: Broadcast?
Speaker 2: Never mind what broadcast? I thought?
Speaker 10: The loafer worked as a Shakespearean actor who never worked.
Speaker 7: Mother, he has a program ed when you may be ashamed of it, but my mother has a right to know what you're doing. There's your big bum. What's he up to now? He's uncle good, hard uncle good mother, and this a glass of ward. I listened to him every day, mother.
Speaker 10: Oh, Lily, he's such a fine sweet kyle.
Speaker 7: Yes, mother, you just saw how sweet and kind he can be.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Don't talk to me.
Speaker 7: What you doing to this man?
Speaker 10: He's your husband, mother, Wait till I get till I tell Cleveland, my son in law's uncle.
Speaker 7: Good heart.
Speaker 11: Don't you dare spread it around?
Speaker 7: And when I'm waiting, you and apologize to my mother, Slelly, he didn't mean it. You always did have a nasty temper, Lily. Father, you never would let me teach you to cook.
Speaker 10: No wonder the poor man was driven to these nightclubs.
Speaker 7: He was hungry.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, Lily and I are happy, Edwin.
Speaker 7: Will you explain it to us?
Speaker 3: Why should I have I'm doing great, mother.
Speaker 7: We've been trying to tell you. Edwin and I are perfectly happy. It was a different Eddie Montague who was mentioned in the columns. Babe, I knew that all the time? Who could Sis said, dear old uncle good heart.
Speaker 3: I gotta get in the station.
Speaker 2: I won't be a good heart broadcast today.
Speaker 1: Uncle, Yeah, look at the time, I'll be late. We'll be back with a magnificent Montague in just a moment. But first, here's a word from our CAA Vector. The superb quality of our CA Vector television has been proven in millions of homes. Our CAA Vector is unquestionably America's finest television and for this reason, it deserves America's finest service, our CAA Factory Service. Yes, when you buy our CA Vector television with our c A Factory Service, you get television's greatest combination, a combination that results in top performance and best possible reception all the time. For the best in television service, then buy one of our CAA's service company's economical protection plans. And speaking of economy, prices on RCA Victor million proof television sets are now.
Speaker 3: The lowest in history.
Speaker 1: Million proof television sets are reduced in price by now at tremendous savings of up to one hundred and fifteen dollars. It's for a limited time only, and inquire about our caa factory service when you buy RCA Victor Television. And now back to the magnificent Montagule. He is just finishing his Uncle good Heart program.
Speaker 9: Listen, sorold once again, you can hold your head high.
Speaker 5: He followed in hend, Hello, there was.
Speaker 3: Another epic from coast to coast.
Speaker 2: Ah, here's the great director, missus Inza.
Speaker 8: That was another humdinger of a program. Mister Montague.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 8: In the sew your name in Winchell's columns. All eyes in THEI a copa cutie has she got a friend.
Speaker 3: All the would you stop? It wasn't me?
Speaker 8: You can tell me, mister Montague. I'm one of the boys. I'll keep it under my hat.
Speaker 3: Well, if you do, keep it under your head of me.
Speaker 2: The first time there was editing under there.
Speaker 3: I'll be quiet when I read it.
Speaker 8: This morning, I said to my wife, there's still life in the old dog. What I said?
Speaker 9: The little interest to me? What you chatted to you or me? As you shared a coconut at that tree top this morning?
Speaker 8: Oh no, we had pancakes. Wait, I almost forgot. Mister Springer has a message for you from the sponsor. The sponsor here comes mister Springer.
Speaker 11: Hello, mister Montague, I just saw the sponsor you did.
Speaker 3: I didn't know it was visiting our mister Monticule. He saw this item that appeared in the newspaper. Now, missus Springer, shill up, Monaca.
Speaker 11: We don't want to dictate your private life, but we can't have stuff like this coming.
Speaker 3: Out in the paper. Your uncle, good heart. Remember you don't have to remind me you're.
Speaker 11: The kindly old philosopher and don't look good to have your boozing around with dames.
Speaker 3: Getting stink on a hot anybody get referred to by mister Winchell is not me? Oh Winchell, lineup? Oh I know that wasn't you.
Speaker 11: That's Eddie Montague, who sings with hot lips Loopo's orchestra.
Speaker 3: And what are you talking about?
Speaker 11: Oh here, why you're mentioned in Earl Wilson's cop Wilson, you mean you didn't read this Broadway nightlifers are still laughing at the romantic antics of the famous Shakespearean actor and that.
Speaker 2: Beautiful honker stuff cuddles.
Speaker 11: McCune Montague Montague act your ade, that's what it says, Hi.
Speaker 3: Cuddles McCune. I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 2: I think I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna grow a beard.
Speaker 3: Pallas and spring eye. It's another mistake. I demand retraction.
Speaker 11: Mistake famous Shakespearean actor Montague, Montague actual ade.
Speaker 3: It's all there, Cuddles McCune. I never heard of her.
Speaker 8: She's a burlesque dancer.
Speaker 6: Dancer.
Speaker 3: I say.
Speaker 8: You got a burlessed chalk man hasn't made of wood.
Speaker 3: Cuddles McCune.
Speaker 2: I have to get home before Lily sees ruse caper.
Speaker 3: Where's my.
Speaker 7: Oh? Mother, mother, please let me think, Lily. There's nothing to think about. You read Earl Wilson's column. Now, Harry, we can still catch that plane in Cleveland. Oh now, mother, I'm sure Edwin will have some explanation that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to miss.
Speaker 7: Now, listen to both of you. I trust Edwin, and I assure you. Edwin never heard of this.
Speaker 4: Cuddles Here he comes, Hello.
Speaker 3: Edwin, Hello, cuddles.
Speaker 2: I mean, hell, Lily, ohn't not Lily.
Speaker 5: I'm inner though, Get away.
Speaker 4: From her, you vulture, Yeah, yellow light go back here, bros Queen.
Speaker 3: They believe me.
Speaker 9: I never heard of cuddles. I never saw It's all a horrible mistake. As the telephone.
Speaker 4: Hello, This is what's left of the residence of Edwin Montague and Lilli Boi.
Speaker 7: Who, no, kidd when did you.
Speaker 4: Get into the country as soon as you read Winchell? Oh sure, I'll here, come right up now for the fireworks. Who was that your father?
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's all I need. Let me out of here.
Speaker 7: When you're afraid to face your father.
Speaker 3: He'll only make it worse. You know him. He gets fat on trouble. Believe before he comes. Please believe me.
Speaker 7: Lily, don't go near him.
Speaker 4: I'll get it.
Speaker 7: Well, mister Montague.
Speaker 9: My little dove, come here, you lovely ways give me a kid. Lily, my dear, dry those cheers. I can't stand seeing a beautiful, luscious woman like you. Cry Hello Dan Wait wait, who is this vision of loveliness? This a July see before me, Lily, It can't be Yes, it's my mother, missus Bohm.
Speaker 7: Keep your distance, said on Martigall. Mother, really you haven't seen him since our wedding.
Speaker 6: That was enough.
Speaker 10: Any man who in the middle of his own son's wedding will reach over and deliberately pinch the bribes.
Speaker 3: Mother, Lily looks like your daughter, And now where is he?
Speaker 6: Hello?
Speaker 9: Follow Sonny, what are you doing to your marriage? Copacabanacuties. Shame on you, the boy of your age.
Speaker 1: Dad.
Speaker 3: It's not true, mad, it is not true.
Speaker 9: Edwin gon blow your nose. You just when it looked so human, liter on a good match, you have ruin hooting around with Cocoagaban Acu sad.
Speaker 7: That article you read winter was another montgue.
Speaker 3: I knew it, and I had faith in my boy.
Speaker 7: What about cuddles?
Speaker 9: Cuddles?
Speaker 5: Who's cuddle a burless dancer?
Speaker 3: My son?
Speaker 9: A Montague with a bullet. Yes, I'm all right now please, I want to talk to my boy. Come mother, Edwin, sit down, father, let me explain, Edwin.
Speaker 2: It's not your fault.
Speaker 3: It's my fault. Y'r poh.
Speaker 9: Yes, it was my duty to tell you about these things long ago. I kept putting it off.
Speaker 3: Oh father, what are you talking about?
Speaker 9: Edwin?
Speaker 3: Pay attention.
Speaker 9: Now, let's begin from the beginning. There are the birds and the bees, and there the flower.
Speaker 3: I'm not back byet.
Speaker 5: You have to be told these things sometimes.
Speaker 3: What are you trying to tell me?
Speaker 2: Son?
Speaker 9: There are painted women lurking to snare young innocent boys like you.
Speaker 3: Now about this blest dance? Father, I swear I never met this Cuddles. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I never had anything to do with her or any girl.
Speaker 3: Sonny.
Speaker 9: So are you telling Daddy the truth? Yes, I'm ashamed of you. Say you're no son of mine.
Speaker 3: Gad.
Speaker 9: When I first read that item you and a corpora cutie, I thought, at last, he's a Montague. He got Edwin when I was your age. I the Montague spirit just never reached you. Lila Paula, help me convinced Lia, Daddy will fix it. Dad with a stupid kid.
Speaker 7: What is your dad? Defeat confessed?
Speaker 3: What about Cuddles, Lilay, I've just had a long talk with Edwin. He knows nothing about her. In fact, this boy here knows nothing about anything. Fala, Why speak only when you're spoken to? Lily? Don't encourage him delay?
Speaker 9: How could you have ever doubted his pudding faced offspring of mind? Allison Paula tells Bala, you are either the most portunate or most unfortunate of women in this spiritless health that I have tried to mold into an accar that burns but one flame, And that flame, Lily, is for you.
Speaker 2: Oh Edwin, I've been you doern'tly have been, Lily where.
Speaker 3: You are in your mind?
Speaker 2: Shame on you, lily.
Speaker 5: But mother, did you hear what his father said?
Speaker 7: Burns but one flame? You're a lucky girl to have the son of such.
Speaker 9: A father, My dear missus, bohem, I haven't been through Cleveland in many a year. I had quite forgotten that his greatest job was the loveliness and beauty of his women.
Speaker 3: Demanded you now, father, don't start go on there?
Speaker 9: What is it?
Speaker 2: What is it that Shakespeare said about beauty?
Speaker 3: But I always say about my lily.
Speaker 9: Her beauty makes this vault a feasting presents all of life.
Speaker 2: The beauty makes it fold.
Speaker 3: If you see present, full of life. It's nine o'clock on a bed. Good night, come in, ah, this is the day I shall not long for gaps. Oh good night, my dear missus for him.
Speaker 9: Now that the children are asleep, May I show you.
Speaker 7: A bit of New York that should we leave the children alone?
Speaker 9: Agnews is with them? A little nightlight, perhaps a few memories to take back to Cleveland.
Speaker 7: Well I shouldn't, but may I'll get my car.
Speaker 9: We're going to Maxine's where all the girls are dream.
Speaker 3: Hello is this the.
Speaker 9: Love you and Rhodes apartment give me apartment six or two? Please Hello, cuddle Poopsy. I'm busy tonight business right, Yes, yes, I saw it. We got in Earl Wilson's column.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow maybe good night, my jobs, we're going to.
Speaker 3: My dear May I take your arm?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And now here is Jack Webb, star of DRAGNEB.
Speaker 6: If you smoke king size cigarettes, listen to Fatima's amazing new offer. Buy a pack of Fatimas, enjoy their extra mildness, and see if you don't like Fatimas better than the king size cigarette you're now smoking. If you don't, return the pack with the unused Fatimas, and we'll give you your money back plus postage.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: We make this offer because we believe Fatima is the best of all king size cigarettes. Smokers all over the country are confirming this every day. Listen to this state by state report, State one Fatima sales up ninety two percent, Two sales up fifty six percent, Three.
Speaker 3: Sales up seventy four percent.
Speaker 1: Four Fatima sales up one hundred and seven percent.
Speaker 6: Remember, if you're not convinced they're better than your present king size cigarette, return the pack and the unsmoked Fatimas before December first and get your money back plus postage. That's Fatima Box thirty seven, New York one by Fatima Today.
Speaker 3: Listen again next week.
Speaker 1: Friends to The Magnificent Montague starring Mati Wally, the Saturday Night transcribed feature on NBC's All Star Festival of Comedy, Music, Mystery, and Drama, brought to you by Anison for fast relief from pain of headache. You're writers Senor Altia by RCA Victor world leader in radio, first in recorded music and first in television, and by extram Mild Fatima best of all King size cigarettes in Fatima. The difference is quality. The Magnificent Montague was created and directed by net Hiking and written by net Hiking and Billy Friedberg, and Seymour was Lily Pert Calton was Agnes. Also heard on tonight's broadcast were Art Connie, Johnny Gibson, John Griggs, and Barbara Weeks. Jack Ward was at the organ. This is Don Pardo speaking.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for the best in popular music.
Speaker 1: It's the musical Merry Go Round on NBC
Speaker 9: K FI, Los Angeles,