Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services ensure your most prized possessiets.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Robera, and today with me is my buddy old pal Mike Quinn. Hello, Hello, and our guy Henry. Henry's working the boards. Thank you, Henry. How about them Wildcats? Mike? Are you giving up on these guys? You have season long time season ticket for a long time, long time season ticket holder, first first time caller. The uh this last month, I've asked you the same question every Monday. Hope Hope has left the building. If I was gonna say, I mean every week, I say, they can't lose this one. Yeah, they can't lose this one, important one. They they It could have looked better, okay, it said they They looked bad. I mean, it's okay, you know, it's not okay to lose, but it's like, okay, you're gonna lose, okay games, but boy, we look bad. Well you've looked bad. You probably look worse the previous three games. Maybe the Texas Tech. But my whole thing. And we're going to talk to uh Barrett, yeah, Barrett late later later in the second hour about about the situation. You know, we can how can we can avoid this thing that they look to me. I know we talked about it with Lamon over the weekend. Uh they looked almost indifferent. Very they're they're disengaged. It was just like, you know, they were getting beat thirty one to eight. They didn't they didn't give a crap. Yeah, they didn't give a crap. At least on Saturday they gave a crap for a quarter. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean it's like, you know, I suddenly they're playing ball. Suddenly they're moving around to get fafeeded, coming out of the pocket and throwing throwing a touchdown pass. I mean, I've said a couple of times they need to get out of I wonder, I wonder, wonder if Brennan is a system guy. I've got to have players that fit my system. I'm not gonna adjust my system to fill the players. I got to get my players in. I gave this questions to Lamont or whoever, maybe it was him on Thursday, I think it was, and again on Saturday, because you know, some of the same people don't listen. So in the first couple of games, what was the critique when they weren't, you know, doing things anything exciting. Well, they're trying to save the plays for later, right, so they won't and that was a bunch of crap. That was just a bunch of crash because you're not gonna save, You're just gonna play. You know, you're gonna want to win and win the game. Those same game, those same players are being used now, so you know, you talk about system, they're just not doing it. They're just not doing anything right. And let me also say, uh, third fourth quarter they make a rally here. Do you think they were against the West Virginia ones twos? I don't, I don't know. I know they weren't killing themselves. I mean the West Virginia wasn't sitting there going the game counts on this play. Yeah, I mean they're like, you know, at that point, West Virginia is looking at the watch and saying, what times this thing get over so I can get out of here. And let me say this too, because you know, I've gotten a caller to saying, well, I'm negative, always negative. Whatever, How can you not be negative in this situation. I don't know anybody who's been positive. Right, well, we've been positive, and I will tell you I've been positive. Jay's been positive. I know that the other's people who have been positive, like going. We think that we see flashes of them being able to play. The problem is now, I think that what we're seeing is that those good plays, those those opportunities are not revealing themselves anymore. We're you know, one, look, our defense was good. They were playing good ball. But now there's so many injuries that and and we lack the depth that we're we just have too many holes to fill on defense. So our defense isn't holding up. I want to call the guy in the back of the room, please raise your what are your thoughts? It's just tough.
Speaker 3: I will say, it was good to see the offense in the fourth quarter actually start to move the ball. Now, like I said, you said, it might have been against the West Virginia backups, but this is the first time they've actually got back to my touchdown scoring drives in.
Speaker 2: A long time. Right right we left, I was there as a fan and to watch the game with the buddy of mine. We sat there and I watched and we and when they scored, when West Virginia scored that first touchdown in the fourth quarter or somebody that the third quarter, we said, it's over, let's go. So we went. And by the time we got to the car and we're headed home, they were within five points. I'm thinking, I'm glad we left, but wow, you know, where was this team? And then I'm thinking, it's like Dallas lies that did you want to get They made that run against what? Against who? And what? Forty nine weren't threatened. Yeah, so it's the point, yeah, I know, Yeah, I don't know. Almost yeah, yeah, yeah, almost. Yeah. We kind of closed it to make it look good, but it wasn't good. No, No, the question you could this is a question. So it's like when I saw a few of the games. Unfortunately I was I was on an airplane for most of the game, but uh the uh yeah, fortunately fortunately, but uh I did see you know, Fafida moving around in the fourth quarter. And so again it goes back to my questions, like, going, is this thing where Brennan is holding him in the pocket, We're not allowing him to create uh, and is that causing us to sit there and have a stagnant offense? And if that's the case, then Brennan is like going, Okay, let's wait until I have a quarterback that fits my system. Fafiita is not going to be a quarterback that's going to drop back and stand in the pocket and and just be a pocket passer. He's got to move around. He's not tall enough for one thing to do that. Think I stand there. He's like a Tom Brady. Yeah. Anyway, so it's like I I it was exciting to see them in the fourth quarter. It was exciting to see them play with a little life and a little energy and a little movement. We got to do more than just so I have one hundred in a in a poll. Where are you on Brennan? Where I am? Bren It's first year, it's first Still you're still there your first year, no matter what happens. Yeah, I mean, I mean it's one. Look, it's not like we're gonna get rid of this guy. I mean it's like going, you don't. You can't bring your guy in and then fire him after the first year. You got to give him. You got to give him time to put his system into place, get his people into place. We did that with We did that with Fish, we did you know, you do that with any any coach that you bring in. Butus, someone's going to buy this dude out. You're right, Well that's the whole thing. And that's good, that's a good answer. And this s mort answer because guess what, Mike, they're going to call you and say, hey, yeah, can you can you support us in trying to pay for this guy. Remember that five thousand dollars. I was wondering if you had ten million that we could use to buy this guy out. Well, if there's ten million people that want to spend a dollar each to get them out, well that's the whole thing. And I say this all the time, seriously, not where where a lot of people want have gone? Okay, what where's the kiddy? And I want you putting in? Yeah? Right, you know your wife loves me right until I start spending your money?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: No, No, And that's saying about it. I mean, get it doesn't cost anything to send out a tweet, you know, And it's like going, you're not you're not into the game, you're not committed, You're stell A Skins game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta you gotta put skin in the game if you're gonna want to if you want to really play. Right, Yeah, so, you know, thanks for your thoughts, but but you know, thanks for your wishes and your prayers. But you know, okay, yeah, the Athletic Department is not checking the Twitter feed. You know, they're just not you know what they're doing. They're checking their bank account and they're sitting there going hmm, okay, not enough to get rid of him, right, you know what's gonna what's gonna get us more, what's gonna get us more money? And then you could just be positive for for maybe a change, I mean a change in attitude and blah blah blah. I still believe. I still believe this, and I've done this a long time. I'm not a doctor and I'm not operating on anybody, but I am what I am. I've covered a lot of games. There's some there's some, if not a lot, of disconnect between the players and the coaches. I'll go to my death saying this. Yeah, and I'm not going to say they've given up, but it's the door's over there. Yeah. Well I will tell you. I will tell you this, there's certainly going to be a lot of turnover at the at the end of the season, by by players decisions or coaches decisions. Well, I certainly think the players decisions. I think the players. There's some players that are going to walk, which is fine. Look, you want to have people who are committed. This is the same thing that happened when fish came in, came in the door, and everyone went, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. So many people are leaving. Thank goodness they left. Okay. Now, look, if you're not committed to the you cannot play football. You cannot play Division one football and not be totally into it. But you've got to be all in and more, okay, in order in order to do this. I think that there are players, as you mentioned, that are not, and so I think that they need to be. If they aren't, okay, yeah, then go find something else to do. But we're not going to hold on to somebody that just doesn't want to be here. No, of course not. You know, there's a door, you know where to go, and and don't let it hit you on you. Yeah, there you go. Yeah, it's got to be easy to say. And then maybe at the clean's house and helps. I mean, you'd love to have you, You'd love to have a great quarterback sit there and say I am all into this and I'm going to commit it to this and I'm about that. Okay, Sometimes that doesn't happen, you know, especially in this environment. You know, previously when it you know there was a cost to transfer. Okay, well, I guess I got to commit to this or I'm not going to be playing football. But now when it's like going, okay, I'll just go somewhere else. You know what time is it, I'm going to play somewhere else. You know what. I think that's a factor because if things don't work out here, what's the option somewhere? That's the world we live in, righte. That's well in life and in football, and then maybe I'll get paid somewhere else over there too. I still think that paid for plays is gonna be a problem. You know. You and I don't know who's getting paid who's not outside of the obvious two and Hrominson was getting paid. But they got paid. Yeah, they got paid. They and maybe they show up, maybe they don't, but they got paid. Yeah, I'm not sure how much you're gonna get paid next. I mean, it's not like somebody's gonna be looking at this film going, oh yeah, yeah, we need a lot more. Your stock has got up with will get paid because he's good. Maybe they'll be an opening at UNLV. Yeah where the quarterback didn't get where didn't get paid? Right right, we gotta go. We're gonna have a special guest here, Karl Watson. We all know him from watching Chevrolet, but he's a mister Paul Whiteman are big owners in the horses, as we all know. He has a big horse in the Reader's Cup this weekend, so we're gonna talk to him about that. I'll be there to watch it and we'll have him in the first hour and Barrett Baker in the second hour talking more football. So we'll come to side.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Are your chance to win one thousand dollars? Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website bails.
Speaker 2: That's bails.
Speaker 1: Enter it right now, Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 5: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement From the latest slots and table games to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 5: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise? So Fasco Yuki trye.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 6: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tip We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equations Arizona.
Speaker 7: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to.
Speaker 7: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health is fitness, deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Helm the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 7: I'm twenty second just west of will Not.
Speaker 9: School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of choosroom come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 8: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six five six today in MLS three or eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to Lynrix syn credit rates and available loan programs or something to change the un notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one.
Speaker 2: Of the fastest growing hobbies around.
Speaker 9: Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 2: As one of the.
Speaker 9: Leading card shops in the country, We've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 1: On a road trip or just around town, driving a car you can afford is more important than ever.
Speaker 6: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone.
Speaker 1: One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score.
Speaker 2: You can borrow better with hearing it. For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one Rate.
Speaker 8: Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 10: Got bugs, termites, mees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including UA All American Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Kendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference once again. That's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio AB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Mike Quinn and now we have Carl Watson. How are you doing, Carl?
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 2: How you doing fine? Thank you? Good to hear from you. You have a dream job in my world. You get to be part of this Breeders Cup. How many have you gone to?
Speaker 4: How many Greats Cups?
Speaker 2: Yes? Too many times?
Speaker 4: That Yeah, more than I can remember.
Speaker 2: I I was going to say, it's like I had remembered every single one of those. That's God, what an opportunity, right right right? And you and you never have another one, and you have a rookie this time running in the two year old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we usually well we've had we've had several two year olds, but we have another one this year, so we're lucky. We've got our fingers.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, How how I know for someone like me who's going to go for the first time, and other people who go for the first time are just still, you know, kind of fresh for this. Do you still get excited for these big things, especially when you have a horse?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I go every year, regardless of whether we have any horses running or not. I went to the very first one back in the eighties at Hollywood Park, and uh, yeah, yeah, it's exciting. It's even more exciting if you've got skin in the game, so to speak. But yeah, yeah, it's it's it's a great Uh, it's a great event.
Speaker 2: You're for the guy that says, I do have a horse in the race. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's so good. I do have a horse in this yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How many have you I think you've won a couple or two or three more than that. How many have you guys won? We've won?
Speaker 4: I can't tell you. Lout won two of them back to back and secret circle want a couple. We've won four or five. I don't want to exaggerate four for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe what are your chances this year?
Speaker 4: It's a really really tough race. Yeah, I mean there are probably I'm not exaggerating. You can't hardly cross anybody out. You know, there's there's some really good horses in there, very evenly. You know, it's it's going to be tough. I mean, I'm not saying we can't win, but we don't. We don't have to beat just one or two others. There's a there's a whole bunch of men there that are pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And because he's a two year old, now, uh, this kind of sets you up, or at least kind of gives you a foresight to the Derby next year.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, that's that's the hope. You know, they're two year olds and they can only run in the Derby as three and you know, uh, you know, if you do well as a two year old, you hope to continue to progress and improve and maybe have a shot when you're a three year old to run in the Triple Crime races.
Speaker 2: Right right. I know that you've had some great ones, Mackenzie. And well, let's just talk about the things that you have done with these horses. Uh. And I think it's you guys, because obviously the names are you had Midnight Louke you mentioned earlier Carea, you had the Stoops, you had a hot Sean, Hot Sean? Right? What Sean? Uh Am I missing.
Speaker 4: Any Doctor Dempsey?
Speaker 2: Doctor Dempsey.
Speaker 4: I can't I can't remember them all. But we've had several We've we've used a lot of names, uh Conte, Oh yeah, a lot of you folks. But we've been lucky. We've had a lot of good luck. You know, you run out of names.
Speaker 2: You Well, I have one for you because I want to tell you and Paul, I've been wanting to said maybe typo typo, Yes, like you know my stories, there's usually a typo. Something's always missing.
Speaker 4: You know, you'd be surprised. You have to send the name into the jockey punt again an approval. Once you decide what you be surprised, be amazed at how many names have already been used, and they hold them for a long time before they released the name and let it be reused. And sometimes they make names permanence, you know, if the horse was really good and they like Midnight Loop for example, that name can never be used again.
Speaker 2: So every one of them minutes, one of them need to. I get a question for you. So how do you how do you pick a horse? I how do you sit there and you look it's like going, okay, look this horse, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: You know, we I learned a long time ago. I had a mentor teach me that.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: He told me if he said, son, you're never going to be any better that people you surround yourself with. And I've never forgotten that. And I feel like I'm probably biased, but I feel like I had the best trainer in the in the industry. And we use a fellow by the name of Donato Landi who's a bluzstalk agent, and you know, a lot of people in particular think he's the best.
Speaker 1: And that.
Speaker 4: So between those two guys, you know, they they pretty much pick him out. We just we just kind of you know, go along for the ride and write the check and you know, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Do what they tell us to do, which and then and then collected, you know, collected the circle, right and well before before we move forward. Obviously, your your trainer is Bob Bafford, Arizona Connections, obviously, and and you guys have been very successful with him. You know, like these guys we had like a function, I don't know how to be we're still marriage maybe fifteen years ago at the casino. And they're called the car guys, right because white Man and Watson are the guys that are the car guys. And Bafford's been fantastic with him, and he he he wanted to win a lot of races for you, and he has with Midnight and some of the others.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've been very very lucky. And one I was looking the other day, we've had you know, Grade one race is really tough to get. We've had thirty Grade one winners with fourteen different horses. The Bobby's really really done good for us, right.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the big horses was it is maybe looking at lucky, you know, and the way yeah, yeah, and the way the names come up are just kind of strange. You know, you're looking at Lucky and oh, hey that's a name. Yeah it was. It wasn't taken. Yes, I did a story on you guys for BIS twuson. It's been so long, maybe nine ten years ago. I can't remember how you got involved. Was it you and you and Paul kind of talking about it or did someone persuade the other guy and involved in the horse horses? Did have to get involved at the beginning.
Speaker 4: You know, in the very beginning I had I don't remember when I'm going to say, like ninety seven ninety eight time Farm is when I purchased my first horse, and I don't remember when it was. But Paul had a horse that he had with uh with Bob's and you know, he had a couple of horses and I had a few, and neither of us had much luck, and but you know, I enjoyed it. You know, it was really wasn't too much of a business back then, more of a hobby or a pleasure or whatever. And so we didn't we didn't fare very well financially, so we just decided that we would kind of you know, have fun, you know, with us, so we could we could reduce our costs. You know, my losses only be half as as bad if I could get called cover happen. That's kind of how it started.
Speaker 2: It just kind of kind of grew on the ohone, right, and it's been fantastic. I think about that time. That's when Real Quiet came on board. I don't know, he wasn't your horse, right, but he came on board with.
Speaker 4: Bob that Yeah, Real Quiet was my source or partner and uh, and that was before we all got together. You know, Mike had Real Quiet on his own, and Paul had some horses on his own, eye and sothing. Bobby kind of put that whole thing together with the three of us. And actually the first horse that he put together, he said, you guys need to get in on this horse. And it was midnight looke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was kind of like right after the tournament. You know, obviously first one, first one, and he was he was the fastest horse for a couple of years in the world. Yeah he was. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Really he's still he's still we still own him. He's still in he's in lecing thing at Helendale. He's a sire down there. He's getting up an age. He's twenty one years old now, but he's losening good to us.
Speaker 2: Could you could you I've heard the story, could you tell us how much how much he gets for for having fun?
Speaker 4: You know, he's slowed down now, but at his age. But we're getting ten thousand dollars this year for every cover, but a lot of times, you know, I mean, it's ridiculous. With some horses stand for I mean, it's some of them are six figures from beyond.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to get twenty five bucks at a dinner. That's what it takes. So when did you guys, especially for you, for you Carl, that you were kind of wow, Wow, this is great. This is a great sport, and I love did you have to pinch yourself at some moments, say, God, look at where we're at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd like to say we've been extremely lucky, you know, I mean, you want to win all the time, of course everybody does, but we've really had our share of good fortune. You know, we're really we're really.
Speaker 2: Blessed right right. And this week it's Friday afternoon at del Mar where the Breeders' Cup is going to happen. Gaming is do you know? We do we know the post it we don't. They're going to do all this after or then Okay, all the.
Speaker 4: Three year old rices are going to be run Friday and then the remaining rices will be run on Saturday. It's a two day event.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, No, we're looking forward to it. Every Breeders' Cup is a huge event. So we'll see you down there. Enjoy the time and enjoy San Diego.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks for great talking with you. Thanks Carl Watson. Yeah, these two dudes that have followed him for a long time, and they know that I love horse racing. They life, But that'd be nice. I was going to say this because lot Luke brought this up. We're on a bus somewhere. I don't know that game, and and I happen to be sitting in the area, and it says, no, Steve, I don't want to I don't want I don't have a horse horse in this thing like them. I don't want to be I don't want to be paying for their food, whether well I'm sleeping, they're eating and I'm paying for it. Yeah, I see that. It's like it's a rich man. It's a rich man. Oh yeah, very rich man's game. Yeah, it's like going, you can't now, I will tell you that there's a there's a group called West Point Thoroughbreds. It is obviously from West Point graduates. And you can buy part of a horse sure like sixty two bucks, one hundred and sixty two bucks. Yeah, yeah, something like it's a syndicate. Yeah, yeah, syndicate. And so it's like, uh, yeah, there you go out there. What I think the last was a Kentucky Derby that was won by like, yeah, like one hundred and fifty two hundred owners, right right, So they all try to get into the picture. Yeah, yeah, exactly. I would. I mean it's like that'd be awesome. Yeah no, no, what a what a great life. And obviously there they have other lives. That's how they made Oh sure, yeah, yeah they didn't. They didn't show up and go, oh I hope this one comes in and here's to eat tonight. Yeah that's me. Yeah, come o, baby, then I got two dollars to show favorite. Yeah yeah, yeah, can eat a hot dog. Do you know the thing about it? It's a crapshoot man. You said, how you look at horses and stuff. You could look at this pretty horse and whatever, good looking horse. Yeah, and he turns into you know, well, I mean so so obviously my my favorite athlete of the twentieth century Secretariat. I think they're like greatest, possibly the greatest athlete at all time. That that horse was something else. You look at that horse at two year old, You're like, going, this thing can't even plow the field. I mean, they hate it. If you ever watch that movie, it's like going, this is not going to show up to anything. And of course then it became you know, the greatest, the greatest horse. Well, real quiet was like that. He was just a puny little horse. That's what I say. It's like, how do you go in there and you go you yeah, any meaning miney? Well, heck yeah it's right. And you got these you know, pick people that are out there picking. Now, look, I get it. Bafford's seen a million and a half horses and he can sit there and tell the difference between this horse and that horse. And you know, we couldn't even sit there and identify the color difference. No, No, you're right, And I don't even know how they do that. Yeah, I don't know, Yeah, I don't know. But well that's why I asked the question. It's like going there got to be such a gift to sit there and go hm, Now, Bafford, you know he has a couple of horses every year that do really well. I'm sure he's got a bunch of dogs. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, plenty of those, plenty of those. But we only read about the good news are the ones, and then when they get there sometimes it's not good news, you know. Oh sure, they don't show, they don't fire. I think Beaffort has like maybe four or five of this running this weekend. Uh, these guys have this one gaming and then it's done, and then they're done, right, and then they enjoy and then they enjoy the rest of the weekend. Yeah yeah, yeah, well Bafford's Bafford said the whole weekend's yeah yeah, no, they're all yeah, he's a couple in the classes and then and then they're at this home course, you know, del Marris sanity. I want I want to want want to ask him, but you know, probably it may not have been Probably I want to if I wanted to know if he has any uh input in the program they got here at you A. Oh they all know, they all they're all helping out with it. But no, it's a it's a it's a it's a popular program. They're trying, they're trying to keep it going, but it's a tough it's a. Had I known this was available to me in the day, I would definitely would be I'd have been all over. I mean, you know I have I have an engineering degree. It's like going, man, that would have been out the door. Man, I would have been all over this degree and RIVERA what did you get in the fifth Yeah? Yeah, right exactly. That's all so I know you don't want to talk about this, but my daughter is actually going to in that program. Yeah, and she's gonna go out to the Breeders Cup and gonna uh work the owners between the paddock and the winner system. Merer a credit card, I'll take it, exactly. I'll let you know rivers Rivers got my car, dear, Yeah exactly, he'll cover you. Yeah, he'll buy you a sandwich. Your wife say, what was this incident? Yeah? Where were we insid?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Forty five dollars later, he'll give you a sandwich. I had to cover my losses exactly. Then we'll go back. We'll come back after the break and talk more about football, talk about this whatever. Take some calls on the other side. They two sons, Steve Rivera here, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the m vps of home and coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson. Listen up.
Speaker 11: Al Tourte two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. DNA Shair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our titles sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and CMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride, Grab your bikes and your buddies join d n h AC for an unforgettable day at the El Tooty two Son. For more info, check out El Tour Day two Son dot org.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rama on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio wile just search I on the ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to one in the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You or Mike Quinn. Mike Quinn are yeah yeah today only? Oh no, that's checked every day. I wake up and I ask my wife and she tells me yes, and don't worry that you weren't that out, Yeah you were. You were that outside. So it's like, and you're still fat. There's that. We got Henry with us, saving the day for us. Cool? Cool? Anybody want to call? Please do We're we're here to answer your calls, answer your answer your questions about how about how tough this is to watch?
Speaker 12: It?
Speaker 9: Just is?
Speaker 2: I mean, Henry, you were there, it was it was hot. It was I was out there at the tailgate and it was hot, and it was hot in the arena or the stadium. And then you're thinking what am I doing here because it was hot? Uh? And then they didn't show up again. You know, they scored seven points and then they didn't score for a long time. And your parents are visiting, right, are they saying? What the hell are we spending money here for? I mean to give up the two touchdowns on four down. Yeah that was that was bad. Yeah, yeah, that and then you throw in the Tyler loop is nice. Missing the extra point and field goals. I don't think he missed one then, but he missed an extra point and he was He is considered one of the best field goal kickers and kickers kickers in the country. You know, so just odd things you got, and it's part of that. I still believe that you guys are cursed. Every time you have a lot of success. The gods say that's enough, that's enough of that. Regress to the mean that this is what your average is. In fact, you hey, guys, that was the aberration year, the ten and whatever. You'll go back to what you were. One of those things like going he I never looked for a two and ten just balance out. Yeah, maybe you need to sacrifice you. I asked this to le Month over the weekend on Saturday, and I'm sure so a few people heard it. But Okay, they need to win three more games to become Bowl eligible. There's a difference between Bowl eligible and Bowl watchable. Yeah, they go six and six. Are you gonna want this team to go play in your bowl? Oh, there's a lot of bulls out there. You know, they'll a lot of these bulls will take anybody that they qualifies. There's one year that they every every team that qualified was in a Bowl except for one. So yeah, they'll pick it up. I mean, you know, I don't know how great Arizona fans will traveled. They don't where, they don't Yeah, to watch this team, but I don't. Are we still talking about going to Yes? I mean, you've got three games with four left. I mean, if you need motivation, there it is. But my thing is they haven't give me. You talk about moments, and maybe Henry will know this because he's a smart dude that remembers. I don't how many great moments have there been? Yeah, not a lot. I think that. I think that, you know, our high water mark everyone said, everyone would like to You know, if you ask people of the high water market earlier, they would have said Utah without a doubt. Now, of course, Utah has turned out to be what they are, But I would say our high water mark was Texas Tech. We were you know, Texas Tech is a good team. We were right in that game. T Mac doesn't fumble that ball, we go down, we kick a field goal, we win that game. If Luke doesn't miss that field goal, the complexion of the game changes too. Yeah, it does change game. I mean that's earlier. A lot of things can happen at that point. I just I think that that's our high water mark, and I don't think that we've really done much since then. No, unless you talk about the fourth quarter where we just you know, come out some garbage time and here's and here's a rub too. Being a journalist or whatever you want to call me. Back in the day, you asked the team, have you given this? Do you feel like you've given up? I mean, that's kind of the last resort question of the whole. Yeah, sure, what do you think? Do you That's an acquisational, accusational question, right right? Do you love your wife? Yeah? I mean what are you talking about? What you are you? How are you gonna answer that? Yeah? Are you still beating your wife? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, it's it's it's damage you do. Damn you do. But you know, it's one of those things where if you ask these guys, if you look into their eyes and say, have you given up? Wow, man, that is the worst thing you could say. To an athlete. Now the answer, I mean, you know, their eyes may answer like, well kind of yeah, talk to me to tell me on the ask me on the other side of the curtain. Yeah, it's like going right, It's one of those things where it's like going I think a lot of these guys are peering into the poor Yeah. Well, the mean I did this story in nineteen ninety six. It was on a basketball was doing okay. You know JB had been out academically, they were doing okay. I won't say who I talked to at the game where they're playing Stanford. They got beat and he gave me the exclusive that they weren't getting along. They were not playing everybody was playing for themselves because that was there were seniors. They had to worry about what was going to happen afterward, right, And he was candid with me, very candid with me. I wrote the story for the next day and people were like what what and yeah they were saying and they were saying exactly that. They eventually got it straightened out, you know, Luke kind of stepped in and say, you know, this is how you feel. What the hell you doing? Yeah, we're here, We're here. As a team, not as a bunch of individuals. And they went to Sweet sixteen they had Kansas on the ropes. But if that's the case, at some point you got to say enough of this. BS. You're here for individual but you're here to play as a team. Yeah, so as a player, you know, I you know, from my perspective, like I said, it's like I've never given up. I've worked, I've worked for some bad bosses and never never gave half effort. But you know, but it sucks going to work. It does stuck going to work. There's no doubt about it, And especially in a situation like these people are in now where it's like going when you know these players right now, you know when heck, when I was playing, it was one of those things where it's like going, you're out of school, Well you better stay at that school because you're not going anywhere else. Now it's one of those things where it's like, yeah, okay, I could get a better deal somewhere else. You know, this isn't going anywhere. I'm gonna just wait till the end of the season hit. I still think money has an issue, but yeah, absolutely, you know they agree with me or not. I don't care, but it's I think it's an issue. Yeah, I think that there are people that want to get theirs. I think there are people that want to keep theirs. I think that that is motivating a lot of people to do a lot of things. But what was the last time you heard or seen Justin Flow the name and play me two week three? Yes, a former four star, big time dude. Right, I was watching watching the game. I didn't see him because he was a special team dude, crazy on special teams. Right, I haven't seen him at all. I don't know. It's just very odd. Yeah, it is, Well again, you got to you gotta have a coach has got to get his team, his players in place. Uh, they gonna want to happen with Jed Okay when when he was here first years, like Wing, he inherited a team, had to get his players in place. The I'll give him that if he can recruit. Recruiting is a lot more difficult now because it's one of those things where it's like, you know, hey, how much money am I going to get? You know, people aren't like, hey how much am I going to get? Developed?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not interested in that. You know, it's like, can you make me a pro player? No, but we can give you one hundred thousand dollars right now. Okay, I'm taking that. Oh yeah, yeah, well I better get it, get it before exactly exactly. And you don't blame them, No, no, no, no, I don't blame nobody. I'll tell you what if I walk out of this show right now and someone offers me a hunt dozand dollars, I'm not doing another show with you. Yeah, there's no doubt about it. I mean it's not it's it is no no where I stand. Yeah exactly. But but but that's that's kind of the way it is. Now we've set that up. It's the worst thing that happened to college sports ever. Ever it is. But it was one of those things where it's like and you can't really I guess you can't blame them. I mean it was the decisions that were kind of meant to be. You know, when you sit there and you look at you know, O Abandon who started this stuff, is like on that cat got no money at all, got nothing, and they they now now there's something in now And I do remember Dave in Stohommeyer driving around in his uh BMW, I don't remember that. Yeah. So it sat there and it's like going, hum hmmm. So so let me say this. The Jason Terry's and the A. G. Brahms are you know, going back in to trying to get Mario Chalmers. I guess has had a big story about him going, you know, the n cua A tournament and stuff. I want to get mine, Yeah, I I want to get mine from back back the day, yeah, day where you know how much money you having? How much can you spend for lunch today? Sometimes you just don't have enough? Yeah. No, that's the thing about it. You know, everyone wants reparations.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like, I don't know, I don't know how you get get to that point where you sit there and they are going to settle some sort of giant, multi billion dollar lawsuit with the NCAA. But that's not going to solve the problem. What was that word I used again? Maybe two years ago when you're obviously what the hell word? Oh? Yeah, because I'm good, going to google reparations right one one time? One time? So yeah, yeah, one time. Yeah, reparations are reparations. Yeah, you've you've heard that word. Yes, you use word facetious, which I thought was pretty good. That's a big word for you. This it was was a five dollars word. There you go. It cost me everything I had in my budget. It's a good thing that I notice you googled it before. You've mentioned exactly nitrogen. Yeah, that's a big it's big word. So well, yeah, I don't happen to be a u A professor. Yeah, I'm an engineering professor. Well, hell, I have big words. Gilligan had a professor. They couldn't get him out the dam life. What the hell? What the hell? Oh, so you're going to be going to any games soon or you give up football games? Yeah? Well yeah, I'm going to be going to the well probably, I think I go to all the rest of the all the rest of the games, there's like two or three. Yeah, we'll definitely go to I haven't been to the a SU game in a long time. The uh, we're always out of town for that game. And you go to Ury Navy, Right, I'm not going to the Army Navy. Wow, the one you're not going to go. It's going to be the biggest game in the ever. It's down in FedEx Field in d C.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I just can't you know. It's like I got so many things going on. Like I said, they may play two weekends in a row. We'll see. Oh that's maybe got crushed by Notre Dame. That's why I'm wearing my Notre Dame stuff today. Oh yeah, you guys hate each other. But the Army quarterback is pretty pretty solid. Army quarterbacks pretty solid. The uh he he's he's doing it good. He's running up the numbers. He's in the Heisman discussion. Yeah, h hey football. College football now is like the topsy turvy Oregon one, you know, Georgia two. I think, well, when you think about it, like Indiana undefeated. You know, he's a cut out of the Washington world. Is that would be Washington pretty easily? Oh yeah, handled them, it's like going, it's really something else. And they beat Nebraska. Yeah, they crashed Nebraska, and then Nebraska nearly beat Ohio State. I wonder if a high state was looking past that day any given Saturday, given Saturday, you know there's Pence. Does Penn State show there for real? I don't know. Yeah, well, eventually they show that they're not for real sometho. So we'll see what happens generally, any we've got some time, we got about six minutes or so five two zero four one, six seventy four forty calling for your therapy session or or our therapy session. What would be your suggestory, what would be your suggestion their suggestion on the air to see how this gets fixed? Besides, you know, this doesn't get fixed this year. I mean, there's not a magic potion that I see where it's like, all of a sudden, we've got a we've got a winning team. Uh now we have we have a team that can win. I think, you know, injuries have made it to the point where it's like going, okay, we're not gonna we're not gonna be able to hold people. Our defenses is pretty beat up. I think that, uh, you know, our offense is gonna suddenly, you know, start scoring a ton of points. It's gonna be tough this year. This is gonna be a tough It's gonna be a tough year. Now. I am hopeful, okay about the uh the future though, you know, let's let's see where this goes. Uh, how so, well, I'm hopeful in the fact that so, look, you can give you a lot of very individually talented players, okay, and not have an individually talented team. And that's what you need. I mean, they need something like that. You need somebody, You need an individually you need an individually talented team.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I think that, you know, Brennan, given the opportunity for him to bring in his guys and have an entire work up, I think that he should be able to bring in, you know, make a team. Do we get a weta? We gotta call Hello, you're on the air and I on the ball. Who's this hey, Steve, Mike, what's the word? What do you got?
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, Steve, you can't say a team is cursed and then turn around when they turned, when they turn things around.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 12: You cannot say that they don't have momentum.
Speaker 2: Uh. You you can't.
Speaker 12: You can't and be cursed if you cannot have momentum. There's no such thing as a curse.
Speaker 2: There is, Yes, there is. You don't believe that there's curses.
Speaker 12: I believe there's curses. I also believe there's momentum. Yeah, okay, you can use that word. However, I'm not going to use in that context. Well not this year, there's no Yeah, I think what Mike was just saying, they're they're not fixing this this year. We we've got too many guys that.
Speaker 2: That we got one.
Speaker 12: You got to have starters to be able to win games, and we're running out of starters by the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 12: We're a lot hurt. A little hurt is one or two guys, you know, and and and and we're a lot hurt. And for whatever reason, that is bad luck, bad training, whatever the case may be. But I think that, uh, you know, I'm not one of these that wants Brent Brennan fired just yet because he might be our best shot at having a good long term coach. Now, we got to get the good part down and then see about the long term because I'm tired of being I'm tired of Arizona being a turnstile school for these coaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because we knew that.
Speaker 12: You know, Mike Stoops didn't pan out, but I didn't think he was going to be here for the long haul. Would have if he if he would have been, And I think he did it wrong the whole way because what he did was everybody got elevated. He got elevated to be a head coach for the first time, his brother got elevated to be the DC for the first time, Mike Canalis was a was a OC for the first time, and you had everybody trying to learn on the job. I do that.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 12: I don't think that Brennan needed to bring Dino Babers in to be the OC to help him learn how to be a head coach. He's been a head coach for six seven years or even longer.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 12: I know that he was head coach at Santose stayed for the last six or seven years whatever, So I do you think he'll get it together?
Speaker 2: Do you blame these coaches for going on? I mean, like you know, fish fish in a payday at Washington. It wasn't just that and done. It is what it is. If it pits it up for somebody, if you win, they're gonna come and get you. It just did the thing well for some people.
Speaker 12: For some people, I think Tucson and the U of A could be enough because if if you go into that bigger fish bowl, there's bigger fish in there, that are ready to eat.
Speaker 2: You in there.
Speaker 12: Of course, of course, you know, you go, you go someplace like, well, Kaylin de Borg, he's got two losses already. I mean, that's you know, with that team, you know, and people are wanting to fire Brannan And we're not nowhere near Alabama. But here's a guy that has a team, had had a team, had a roster that you know, you know, who could argue to say that they didn't have a legitimate shot to go undefeated. And here they are with two losses and they're acting like they're a bunch of losers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's already they've already said that they've got the number one recruiting class, okay, And so it's like one of those things where it's like, let's see what he does last year? Well they want to they're not going to fire him. What was Arizona's recruiting class?
Speaker 12: What was Arizona's recruiting class before Jetfish took them all with him?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: You know, so I think that, you know, don't you know, I don't believe in recruiting classes anyway, don because you've hurting me enough. But you still got to coach these guys if they don't want to pay for you, you do, I don't care how good you are. If you don't want to play for him, that that's true.
Speaker 12: If they don't want to play for him because of whatever difference is the way he does it different or whatever. I've heard it secondhand that Bret Brennan is a lot more hands on in practice.
Speaker 2: Than Jetfish ever was. Jetfish was glad.
Speaker 12: Handing the eye rollers and he was being a CEO on that thing, whereas everybody's been everybody's been accusing of Brennan of being a CEO type coach and letting you know, just because he's not calling the plays doesn't mean he's not involved, right.
Speaker 2: It's just a different approach for different times. You know, I don't know. I just do you We got about thirty seconds. Do you believe or maybe even think a little like me that this team is not giving up?
Speaker 12: But it's close, It's it's really close. I think the injuries, I think the probably probably the philosophy change is hurt it a little bit. The process has hurt a little bit, and the injuries have heard it hurt it a little bit. So I mean, we we we everything that could go wrong has gone wrong right, and and the only thing, the only the only way they can go from.
Speaker 2: Here on out is to go up. Yeah, and to get a win or two or three or whatever it is. Okay, Don, thanks for calling.
Speaker 12: If they get a couple of wins, I think they could be you know, it's a good step in stone.
Speaker 2: For next year. Yeah, thank you, Don. We got to go. Thanks, thanks so called, Thanks buddy. Yeah, we're doing there.
Speaker 10: We go.
Speaker 2: We can go and come to you for breaking news.