Speaker 1: Uh, what's up, everybody. It's me Cecily here with Stephanie. You girls, and uh, it's Courtney Stotton Day, which is every day in Stephanie's heart.
Speaker 2: I mean, do people know who she is?
Speaker 1: I think that our listeners, you know, our cool ass gen X mostly listeners probably do. But I know some of you may not. Maybe some of you are younger, and you didn't. You didn't quite you weren't really paying attention to this kind of nonsense back in twenty eleven.
Speaker 3: We're going to put you in a.
Speaker 1: Time machine and help you in a second with that.
Speaker 3: But Courtney Stoddon is famous for no reason.
Speaker 2: Really, well you know what. Let me read you a little bit off her wiki page and could we can We can interrupt with thoughts if we want, but just so that everybody is clear on who she is. Okay. So she was born in nineteen ninety four. She calls well WICKI calls her an American American media personality, model and singer. Did you know that?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: She competed in beauty pageants in her home state of Washington, and she's known for releasing the original music. Sixteen year old Stadden came to international attention. After being wed to fifty one year old actor Doug Hutchinson in twenty eleven. So the controversy and media attention surrounding the marriage led Stadden to appear on the reality television shows Couples Therapy. I remember a year after she got married, Celebrity Big Brother. That was another year later, Reality ex Wives, The Mother Daughter Experiment, Celebs Go Dating, and then Courtney in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Then a really based on nothing, just so you know, she had a lot of when she was sixteen, she started having like implants and stuff. This is and I'm not putting the blame on her, putting the blame on her mother, but all kinds of weird shit, you know, was like happening where that she was sort of playboying her child.
Speaker 2: Yes, that should be an actual, that should be a verb when you're playgoings.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the best way that I can put it. And she now, I want to say, God before we start going down all these rabbit holes, because there are going to be quite a few.
Speaker 3: That's who she was.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a time twenty eleven. She's sixteen. I believe at the time She's right, she's so young.
Speaker 2: So and Doug Hutchinson, her was her acting teacher, and then he fell in love with her. He claims he didn't know how old she was, but the mom apparently was totally fine with him marrying her.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he was in his fifties her acting. He's been married already twice, so this was Courtney was his third marriage. And they, of course got married in Vegas because I guess, I don't know was she's sixteen or seventeen when they actually got married, but they had to be legal in the state. Yeah, and he says she believed that she was well into her twenties. Now, I have a hard time believing that if you're someone's acting coach, you do ask a lot of questions you're not. I mean, that's like an act, like you're gonna know if they're sixteen or twenty five, no matter what they look like. That's absolutely insane. And I don't believe that, of course not so, Yeah, she's sixteen, And his whole.
Speaker 2: Thing was like, what are you possibly talking about me? A pedophile? Absolutely not. I just I thought you're older.
Speaker 1: Right, And he knew once he knew she was sixteen, that Nevada was where you could you could legally get married with parental consent.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at.
Speaker 1: His wiki and so therefore Vegas it was and people are like, that's crazy, but as it says, as you just said, Hutch and say and had a lot of defenders, including Courtney's mom, who's we gotta do a whole thing about her too. Her name's Krista Keller, and she praised him for his kindness and love.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Doctor Jen Berman, a therapist who worked with a couple during couple's therapy.
Speaker 3: Jhen Berman, there's something wrong with that woman. I am telling you.
Speaker 2: I've always said that. I've said it. She sucks.
Speaker 1: She's crazy, sucks like suck sucks. It's so crazy. I can't and I'm trying to think. I'm trying to shoot her.
Speaker 2: Whole thing was she was like at first. Yeah. First I was like, well, that's not good. That sounds like kind of maybe he's a pedophile. But then I got to know them and I was like, oh, they're just like regular people having marital problems.
Speaker 1: They popped on a lot of things. But I also want to say, now, what we're going to get you today is something different. But Courtney in twenty twenty one, so about five years ago she publicly stated this is on Wiki that her marriage was a result of Doug Hutchinson grooming her.
Speaker 3: So this isn't like just out of the believe.
Speaker 1: This was five years ago, allegedly started with him reaching out via email, So this wasn't just like, oh, he's the teacher and either in class and they're doing this fun scene and oh my god, is she twenty vibe?
Speaker 3: I hope. So even that's creepy.
Speaker 1: Even if he's fifty and her acting teacher, it's still gross and so but no, instead he emails her and then it says he stated in a twenty eleven interview that Courtney contacted him via email first under her mother's supervision, and it says Courtney can did confirm that back then.
Speaker 3: So either way, he's no hero.
Speaker 1: Even if even if she's lying about the email, which I'm sure could be pretty easily proven, either way, like, it's still creepy. This is not like, oh, okay, okay, Doug, you're cool. Sorry she emailed you first, you got it, then.
Speaker 2: It's it's all bad. And also oh there's more.
Speaker 1: Oh. Courtney also said that he this guy had similar had started a similar relationship with a fifteen year old girl. He's fifty fifteen years old within a month of their divorce.
Speaker 3: So as soon as Courtney and like she.
Speaker 1: Aged out, then they got divorced, and then he did it again with a fifteen year old This guy is horrendous. Yeah, and then the Daily Beast has a like a written correspondence and voicemail recordings between them. So that apparently is a very real thing which we could get into or not.
Speaker 3: But ew ew ew ew. Yeah, I just became Lisa caudrou.
Speaker 2: And then and I'll say this because you know, so Okay, so this girl, which is probably what some might argue was, became like very hyper sexualized, like her whole thing became she running an OnlyFans account and then stopping her only fans account and then started like her own kind of reality show. I think there was just a lot of a lot of exploiting her own sexuality. But imagine if her mom's trying to make money off of her at sixteen, Like what are you teaching? You know what I mean? Like, if yeah, she starts to think her only worth is as a like sexual commodity.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and what kind of mom is Like, Okay, your fifty year old acting teachers super into you. You're she's sixteen, you're a sophomore in high school. You are not even a senior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're not.
Speaker 3: I mean you even the mom was yet, right, that's insane.
Speaker 2: The mom was into it until later, until later when they got married and then he started she was she was her daughter's manager, and then Doug took over being the manager. Then you know, she like got pissed. It's all. It's all really gross. But that is all to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so now, so okay, many years ago, Courtney was appearing in lots of things and whatever, and one of the things she appeared in was a funny or Die sketch co starring her and Jason Alexander, who's of course George Costanza from Seinfeld. I'll know who Jason Alexander is, and you probably have heard the story. We're just going to deep dive it. So she has come out they did this thing, and do we want to play a clip. We don't know if it's going to translate from the clip, but we maybe do a sound up first from the clip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see if but see if it plays if you understand what's happening. Okay, So Jason Alexander is standing in front of Courtney, who is wearing a bikini. She's got really big boobs, They're big fake boobs, and he's going to rub the phone on her boobs. So we're gonna let's hear it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have a special app here on my iPhone and if I may, I'm going to use this to just find out what's what's in the quality of your heart? Not this side, not this side.
Speaker 2: Courtney Stodden is calling out actor Jason Alexander one of those.
Speaker 1: Okay, well but we got we got the idea and it was creepy and he sounded creepy even doing that. Now I'm not saying that he's a pedophile or anything. I'm just saying, yeah, bad instinct.
Speaker 2: He's going to rub the phone basically sort of on her crotch or her boobs, no, but her boobs. And then he says, well, I'm getting better reception, Like the joke is all about our boobs, right, which.
Speaker 3: Has been done. It's not unheard of, but it's not ideal.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It kind of reminds me of like those really like eighties, maybe even early Judd Apatow like those movies where you're like, you wouldn't do that now.
Speaker 2: The problem, though, the problem that you definitely wouldn't do that now is that she's seventeen when they made this, and Doug, her husband slash owner, is sitting right next to her in the sketch. He's in the sketch.
Speaker 1: Oh gross, Yeah, well she has been thinking about that sketch Courtney Stotton, and she started thinking about it and then came out with a thing publicly which we can read where she's like, yeah, that was pretty fucked up with Jason. I don't really care for what that sketch was. I don't know why this is coming out right now.
Speaker 2: She says, I was seventeen years old in this photo, she wrote, sharing an image of Jason Alexander holding an iPhone against her breast. So he was fifty two at the time. Okay, the actor, which I is, Jason Alexander, is fifty two. He's wearing a polo and blazer while she's in a skimpy bikini. She says. The older I get, the more impossible this is to understand. She continued, recalling how Alexander quote repeatedly rubbed his phone across my breast while saying, there's quote no signal in my head, but plenty of signal in my chest. She added later in the sketch that he joked that when I turn eighteen, he'd like to take me behind the couch and have his way with me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god too.
Speaker 1: It was all it's like all those countdown clucks, remember Ashton Kutcher, The countdown sucks the with the Olsen Twins. But they were starting those at like twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it says that Jason Alexander, who's now sixty six, He is listed as a writer on the sketch.
Speaker 3: Okay, weird, Okay, yeah, okay, so she said that, so so, she says.
Speaker 2: She says, as an adult, that fact has become harder, not easier, for me to understand. I was a minor. She says, I didn't have the legal power to decide whether I wanted to participate. The contracts were signed by adults, the paycheck went to Doug. She says, the production moved forward, I was the only child in the room. I felt so alone. And then she says she's thirty one now. She says she doesn't see the sketches comedy. Looking back on it for fourteen years later, she says, quote, I see a seventeen year old girl whose body became part of an adult joke. People still say you chose to be there. Legally, I couldn't make those decisions for myself. That's the point. Quote. I can't change what happened to me, but I can ask myself, how did so many adults look at a miner and decide this was acceptable? And she said, That's exactly why I speak out today. Children deserve laws to protect them that they shouldn't have to become adults before realizing the law should have protected them all along. Yeah, and she says this is a statement. To page six, she says, at seventeen, I was a miner working in an environment where the adults around me were responsible for my safety and well being. Looking back, as an adult, I see those experiences very differently than I did at the time. My reason for speaking out now isn't about revisiting the past for its own sake. It's about helping create a future where children are better protected and where adults and positions of power are held to a higher standard. I say bravo to that yeah.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. I mean I don't. Okay, So first before we get into.
Speaker 1: All that, because there's a lot to go there, Jason immediately apologized.
Speaker 3: Jason Alexander was like, I'm so start In fact, I'll read I can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it right here.
Speaker 3: If you want, okay, you gonta ahead and read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he says. He says, looking back at the comedy sketch in which ms. Stauden and I participated in twenty twelve, I completely agree it was inappropriate and I truly regret it. But more importantly, I'm deeply sorry for any harm or distress it has caused. Mis Stadden. I offer her my sincerest apologies. So that's what he said. How do you feel about that apology? I mean, I think it's a good apology. I think he owned it.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, comedy changes, times have changed, she was presented in this way that she seemed to be. I mean, I'm not saying it's fine now through even then. I back then, I remember feeling less about I had less feelings about the fact that, oh my god, she's seventeen or whatever. I thought that was so creepy and disgusting at sixteen marrying Doug.
Speaker 3: I thought the mother.
Speaker 1: Should be in jail, but I was also super creeped out by her. And now, as you know older, I can look back and go, well, maybe I shouldn't have been so creeped out, Like you know, she didn't know better, but she was insufferable. I don't want to rewrite the history. It doesn't change what she's doesn't change that what she says is correct and important, and I agree with what she's saying, but it also don't forget like we had to go through like a full decade of her in our like on our TVs and in our world, that she seemed.
Speaker 3: She seemed like.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess I shouldn't say she seemed like, but her mom seemed like there was just nothing they wouldn't do, and she greatly played up the bullshit like she was really really annoying.
Speaker 3: So I think she's right to say what she's saying.
Speaker 1: And I think Jason, I don't know what else he could do, But it turns out there is something else he could do. Because she said the apology, she basically came back and was like, Okay, great, thanks for the apology, but I need you to do more.
Speaker 3: I want you to give to this nonprofit.
Speaker 2: You yes, And I have to say my feelings have changed since even we talked about doing this story, because because we talked about Jason Alexander and how he's like a known to be like a super nice guy right seemingly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've met him, he was great, But I mean I didn't meet him at seventeen, and I didn't have him rub a cell phone on me. So I mean, I wish I dream about that's how I get there fantasized.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's my saying. That's like, that's not everybody.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge fan of, like the big fifty year old with the twenty year old or and then younger especially, it's just horrifying to me. I can't believe that it's a thing. Well, and when that's the problem is like when you hear all this background, you hear the details, and you go, she yes, she was hyper sexualized, you know. And I'm not saying she didn't want to be married or think she wanted to be married, but she was a child, she was a young teenager. My twins are two years older than she was at the time that she married a gross old man who likes young girls who found a fifteen year old after they ended. So at that point he was in his sixties and he was with a fifteen year old, Like, I mean, he wanted barely a pedophile Like it's I can't believe. Not only and he continues to get jobs. Someone brought this up, which is very interesting. This is on Reddit, and I don't want to go to ahead of ourselves, but don't forget the big fight between Courtney and Chrissy Chigan. You might want to look that up because you remember that whole shakedown of course. Yeah, oh my god, because someone's like, yeah, look up Chrissy Chigan's treatment of this child. People including Chrissy told her to kill herself.
Speaker 3: Yeh wow.
Speaker 1: I had forgotten about that. It says for no reason. Her quote claim to fame was literally being a sixteen year old married to an adult. Yeah, no, that I remember. We talked about that probably on board. Oh we have, We've done an episode about it. No, Christy Tigan again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chrissy Teagan basically apologized completely. Okay, hold on, because I think I believe this is in that shit was crazy crazy. Yeah, So that's in this Wikipedia page okay. In May twenty twenty one, Stutton said that Chrissy Teagan tweeted and privately messaged her urging her to kill herself. Yeah, she told her she should take a good dirt nap because Chrissy Teagan went through a phase where she was crazy, she was an alcoholic.
Speaker 3: I think it had happened. I don't think it was random. I don't think it was like.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying she was deserved, but it was not a random like they had been. She had said something to her, they were having some kind of there was an issue.
Speaker 3: Something had happened. She didn't just ran.
Speaker 2: At Christy Tiagan says. She subsequently apologized to Stauden, saying she was sad and mortified at her past self, whom she described as quote an insecure, attention seeking troll. Stauden accepted her apology but deemed it an attempt to save Tiegan's business partnerships. A month later, Teagan released another apology in a lengthy blog post, admitting to cyberbullying.
Speaker 1: Wow yeah, I do wow yeah, and that I just looked up caused it. Says she considered offering herself Courtney. She says because of the cyberbullying from not only Christy Teagan but other celebrities. So people are talking about that too, which I'm sure, I'm sure happened all the time.
Speaker 2: One of the things too, that's in her wiki page is that she was bullied really bad as a younger kid. Yeah, she's started developing early, and she left school and was homeschooled. So looking back, I guess I'm saying, you know, I think I probably was made fun of her too a lot at the time, and she was seemed weird and you know, doing all this stuff herself. But then when you look back and you go, okay. So Jason Alexander, he's in this sketch with the husband who's in who's Jason Alexander's age? He knows this girl seventeen years old, and he's like, he signs off, he writes a sketch like I have to say, I'm calling like this whole thing out, which is like, yeah, okay, times have changed, but why were they that way then? Why would why did anybody think that that's appropriate for a man to go? Yeah, and then I want to take you behind a couch and fuck you.
Speaker 3: What the what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's when you know we talked about this the other day. That's disgusting, But I I also was like, I'm a little harder, and I'm I'm not trying to like I'm trying to take you. We try to take each other down with our takes, but I'm a little tougher on Howard Stern than you are. I feel like you feel because he is apologized, and I agree people can get better and evolve, and I know he does a lot of good things too, as Jason does, you know, but I think, like I Howard Stern the way that he treated women. Let's say they weren't even seventeen, but sometimes they probably were on that E show, the way that he treated them and talked about how fat they were and made them turn around like they were like livestock and talked about their butts. And Robin too, by the way, I'm not giving her a pass either. They were horrifying for years, I mean decades, and it's like, okay, cool, it's fine, whatever, But why was that allowed for so long? It was like that's just the way it disgustingly was for a long time when he had that show on E. I was like, I just remember it was like depressing to me, I felt depressed, and well.
Speaker 2: Many people are still like that. That's the whole MANI sphere of it all. I mean, well, yeah, we're back Andrew Tate. I mean he's yeah. I mean, people love Andrew Tate. We had to seriously, we had to somebody that we like very much. We had to edit their appearance on our episode because they were talking about how great Andrew Tate is. It's like that we we still normalize this stuff. And yeah, I mean I'm to blame too, unless unless I'm confronted with something that Howard Stern did. Then I can get swept up and going like, oh it seems great now, right, But you're you're absolutely right like this stuff, I mean, yeah, why was that okay?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: And just you know, I'm I will say, yes, at least he's seen the light now. Howard Stern's not like that now.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And I don't think that Jason is known for that kind of stuff too. Is just a really bad choice that was probably made possible by the fact that that's just what the environment was.
Speaker 3: That's just what people did.
Speaker 1: That's like, it doesn't make it okay, it's just like that's it's like, oh, yeah, this is just like we're going to keep Remember how a lot of people started finally getting canceled because of their old Twitter posts and they're like, no, no, no, we were all just trying to one up each other.
Speaker 3: No, no, we know it's terrible. That's the joke. That's that was the joke. But people are like, yeah, but like it's not great.
Speaker 1: And then people had to kind of fight for their lives on those and you know, we've talked about that one after James Gunn was one that comes to mind, say Kevin Hart, like they're like, well, we used to always use words like this, this was two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's cool, but I'm sure if you dug into both of our twitters there's probably something we'd be like, oh, I would not tweet that now.
Speaker 3: Nothing like what they.
Speaker 2: Want, I guess, but I do find it. I find it unfortunate that some people do kind of get a pass, Like you're saying, but you know, people that you would never expect that, you go, well, people change, but you know, I remember when Trevor Noah was going to become the you know, host of the Daily Show, and people were talking about how much they love him, and you went back in his tweet history and he was talking about how much he can't stand like fat chicks mak you jokes about Oh yeah, she had a lot of stuff like that. Yeah, yeah, and it's like, oh, well, I've you know, sorry, it's like, okay, but you did say that, like that's what you thought was funny, and now you're supposed to be like the super like political and kind of I don't know, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, listen, two things can be true, and I think that's what was complicated for me on this one. There's no there's nothing complicated about the fact that it's really gross what went down, and especially the mom marrying her off and making her get like whatever she did, you know, getting what is it, like a H double H cup or whatever, you know, like just going and going and going. But that can be true at the same time as me just like really super annoyed by her.
Speaker 3: Those are two totally separate things.
Speaker 1: But you know what I mean, that's the first thing that pops in my head is how much I have disliked her all these years. And you're right, maybe through a different lens of like oh well, but she was only seventeen, but I still really genuinely dislike her. But I support what she's saying in this case, and I'm just I can stand in both spaces, as they say.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you, I just like her. Are I get it? Are you standing ten toes down? Though? On business?
Speaker 3: On business? I would say, yeah, like, are you willing?
Speaker 2: Are you willing to say you're standing on business?
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say on I'm ten, I'm nine toes down and on sort of a nonprofit not on business business, but like a non profit business. I'm trying to find, like, I just want to. I feel like we've covered so he hasn't. I'm sure Jason will donate if she's like yeah, I'm sure he'll be like, you know what, that makes sense, here's five thousand dollars or whatever. I'm sure he will. I hope he don't imagine. I think you will, and I think that would be the right thing to do. Now, I want to know what is the thing that she wants him, because I want to make sure it's not her nonprofit.
Speaker 2: Just that just no, she wants she wants to pass this AB twelve sixty seven, which is a bipartisan bill that would set the minimum age for marriage to eighteen, with no exceptions in California.
Speaker 3: Right, rate absolutely support that.
Speaker 1: That's my because if it was going to be like I just think he should also give to Courtney studdon dot com and I'm going to use most of that money to like just fight off all the ducks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just listen. And one of the ways that I'm going to fight it off is I'm going to buy some like really cute clothes and like maybe an eighty U for my mom.
Speaker 1: You're like, well, she's been talking about this stuff for a while, like a year ago, she went on a show on Lifetime. I'm just gonna sound this up. I should send it to you. Let me see what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't know yet. It's her just talking.
Speaker 5: Courtney Stadden, a sixteen year old bride who married a fifty one year old actor. Maybe you remember the ridicule, the outrage late nine chokes, But what you think you know is that's what some of the media painted me to be.
Speaker 2: The true story.
Speaker 5: The real story is so much more complicated and much worse.
Speaker 3: Oh so that's like the beginning of some things she was doing for lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well there's a movie. There's a movie about her. I think it's called like Courtney. Oh, like a documentary. Yeah, oh, did we see that? We should probably watch that. We should have watched that beforehand. This is from twenty nineteen. There's a show eleven episodes of a show called Courtney. But that's like her own show. But the no, there was like a lifetime it's like a lifetime type movie about her, about what happened. It might be on let's see.
Speaker 3: Just let's yeah, I think this is it.
Speaker 1: Maybe she was just introducing Yes, yes, because that is this. Yeah, it's a fake thing. They sure do Muchison looked better. Yes, I was a child bride the Courtney Staddon story. Oh my god, I'm going to watch that. We have to that immediately.
Speaker 2: We have to. It's from last year.
Speaker 1: Because why don't you set it on OZ Why don't you set this on pause. We'll go watch it. We'll be right back, just watch like an hour and a half. No, in conclusion, we support what she's saying. Yeah, I think that it's cool that Jason apologized. I think he'll probably donate. And because to be clear, he's himself, isn't like some creepy pedophile. But yeah, bad judgment to say the least on that, and fuck the Doug Hutchinson and fuck the mom.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's what we can definitely stand ten toes down, ten toes, not just nine on fuck her mom and fuck uh Hutchinson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doug, Yeah, and all right, well I think we've covered that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, thanks for listening you guys. You guys are the best.
Speaker 1: Oh and if by the time you're listening to this, because we are recording a couple days early, Jason may have already donated.
Speaker 3: So just like insert Jason donates something here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, bye bye.
Speaker 4: Wow. Pe think