Speaker 1: Broadcasting from the Tri County Board dot com studios. This is Sports Talk seven nine day. It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So during the break I was reading this write up from Ari Wasserman, who is now writing for on three Sports, and he made a good point. Marcus Freeman, of course, has gotten off to a great start at Notre Dame. Really the breakthrough year was this year, and Notre Dame is going to play for a national championship and he's done phenomenal job. He's he's certainly looking like a future star of college football. But Wasserman's column made another good point something that he has done that is even harder than winning, and that is making Notre Dame likable, which I don't think of Notre Dame as being hateable, but I think the way I've described it on the show is Notre Dame is the team, one of the teams. I guess there's a lot of teams out there pro in college that if you're not a fan of them, then you probably lean towards not liking them or you know, hating them. And I've never necessarily been on the hate side, but I'm far from a guy that likes them, and I think Marcus Breeman has been so likable and weird that Notre Dame's here of all. I mean, this is a program that does not need the millions of dollars from a conference in order to keep the lights on. They can do everything independently because they have such a national fan base. They've got their deal with NBC. I mean, when Notre Dame is accused of being arrogant, let's be honest, they have a right to be. Now, as far as accomplishments recently, not so much. But I mean Notre Dame is different than any other college football program. There's no comparison. I mean, they're Notre Dame, but yet they're kind of like Rudy Nope. I mean I was gonna say, pardon the pun. I didn't even really mean to make that pun. But they're They're a team that nobody believed in They had the NIU loss, and they've played their way up to this point proving that despite that, they are one of the best teams in the country. So because they're not liked, nobody thought they were legit and in the in previous years, they've they've proven those well. I don't think they've proven them right. In fact, they haven't proven them right because I think Notre Dame under Brian Kelly, whenever they would get to the playoff or they'd get the championship game and get blown out, every other team that that was in that spot probably would have gotten blown out as well. Like Notre Dame losing in the in the in the four team playoff, or in the championship game never proved they didn't blong. It just meant that they weren't as good as the team that won the national championship. But they're always the team that gets mentioned for having, you know, a week schedule, that kind of stuff. So long story short, it's just wild that Notre Dame it can play the underdog rule, can play the chip on the shoulder, and it is kind of weird. I mean, I'm pulling for him against Ohio State. I don't know if they're going to win. In fact, I doubt they will, but I didn't think they'd get past Georgia and here they are. Didn't know if they'd get passed. I mean, I guess I did have more confidence they'd get past Penn State, because if you can beat Georgia, you can beat Penn State. So anyways, I'm looking forward to that National Championship game next Monday night. All right, it's Coffee and Company Hour number two here on a game day Game Day edition, of course. Louisville and Action tonight against Syracuse, currently favored by eight points, that has been climbing throughout the day. We'll see if it moves much more before we get to tip off. Kentucky, they're hosting Texas A and M. The Cats are seven point favorites, and Texas A and M is going to be without their leading scorer and their leading distributor and Wade Taylor, who is out once again with a knee injury. I think he's missed the last few games for him. And this guy's been there at A and M for a long time and he's been pretty damn good ever since he's been there. So this is clearly a good thing for Kentucky. I mean, it makes Texas A and M more beatable. And I don't say that to try to discredit a win before it happens, but when you are in the SEC and you play that kind of schedule that they have in league play, You'll take whatever you can get, and this is a break that goes your way, and again it makes A and M a little bit more beatable. So seven is the number there. I'm curious if that I didn't see the opening line. I don't know if that move. That number moved because of the confirmation that Taylor wasn't going to play, but it is now official that he's out. Indiana is also in a big game tonight. They've got Illinois at home, and Illinois good team, clearly in a better position than Indiana. Illinois favored by four, and I feel like this is the kind of game for because Indiana right now. I mean, they're coming off of let's see here. And the reason I'm bringing up Indiana one one because they're kind of a local team, but also for Louisville's sake, Indiana needs to be in the top fifty for that to be a quot one win, and I believe they're there now, But I think tonight, like what happens if they get blown out, I wouldn't be shocked if this season ends up just steadily heading south for Mike Woodson. Maybe that's an overreaction because I mean, they're playing a good team, they're underdogs at home, so they'll play other Big Ten teams that they should beat. But like a win here would really improve Indiana's resume, and it I think would give them some real life to be in that top tier of the Big Ten, because the Big Ten this year, in my opinion, I think it's down.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think right now you've got Michigan State and Michigan that are ahead of everybody else. And in fact, those two teams are five and zero, produce five and one and they're always going to be good. But this is not produced not a threat like they have been in previous years. Oregon is four and two, Indiana is also four and two, and Illinois four and two, so like after that, Wisconsin has shown some flashes this year, but once you get past that, I'm I'm not really sure who I would consider to be, you know, really good in the Big Ten. I mean, certainly they've got some mean, they've got programs that you know on INDI given night, if they play well, they could pull off an upset. But if Indiana can beat to Illinois and I to move to four and to move to five and two and then of course jump above Illinois. I mean that would that would make the rest of the schedule for Indiana, the rest of the way and Big Ten play look a little bit more. I mean, if anything, I just confirm that you can beat some of the better teams in your league's Indiana. I mean, when Louisville blew them off the floor, they turned around the next day and then lost Againstzaga. They ended up leaving the Bahamas with one win, and that was against Providence. And then they've beat the teams they're supposed to beat. But they did lose at Nebraska, and Nebraska is a loss that isn't necessarily terrible, but it's it's also you know, I mean, Nebraska's not a great team. So after that then they went on a little bit of a tear. They won five in a row. They beat Chattanooga and Winthrop, which are games that don't do much for you, but then be ruggers. They won at Penn State and then they beat usc but then they turned around and got blown out by Iowa over the weekend. So they've they've continued to I mean, I can't even really think of which game. Indiana right now has beat every team that they are supposed to be other than Louisll because they weren't supposed to win that one.
Speaker 3: And then their losses. You know.
Speaker 2: Their losses right now, Louisville, Gonzaga, Iowa, and Nebraska. I mean, I don't mean all those teams are technically going to be well.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe maybe Iowa is in a tournament team. I'm not sure, but I want to tonight. I feel like is a game where Indiana's season is going to go in one of two directions. And I'm not a Hoosiers fan by any means, but again, for Louisville's resume, if Indiana falls apart, that would not be ideal. All right, let's go to the text line five two six five three zero seven nineties the number if you want to text in and interact with us that way. Questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got you can send tom Oway again. It's the Ellen and Federal Credit Union tex line five OO two six five three zero seven ninety This Texas Nick. When do you think Josh Hurd pulls the trigger and offers her a new contract? Could it be before the season comes to an end. I have no clue I would imagine that Pat right now is certainly working his way to a new contract that would make him you know more, you know, making more money than he currently is. But but now that you got me thinking about it, and I'm glad you asked, because I haven't really given.
Speaker 3: This much thought.
Speaker 2: I've just assumed that clearly, if Pat Kelsey keeps winning, and his representation as agent lets Louisville know that he would like to be here even you know, more long term than his contract indicates, and he will have interest elsewhere. Like clearly, I think Louisville would do whatever they have to do to keep their basketball coach who's winning. And we've never been in a position where we I mean, keep in mind Denny Crumb, then Rick Patino and then after that, there was never a situation with anybody post Patino that you had to like go back to the table and give them a new deal because they've they've changed the you know, the situation. So I don't think we're going to see that happen if Pat Kelsey ends up becoming an even bigger name than he already is. So I don't want to say what I'm about to say and have people thinking that, like I don't believe that he's going to be here long term, or that I don't believe that he's worthy of it. But like, extensions for coaches are always just kind of out of nowhere, unless, of course, you get to the end of the season and somebody's clearly made it to where you better give them a new deal or they're leaving. So like when it happens mid season, it's just not something that's on the minds of anybody. But we've changed a lot with college athletics in recent years, and there's a huge change coming next year of course, when the schools are going to be responsible for sharing revenue of twenty two million dollars with student athletes. So you're not making the same I mean, you're you're factoring in much different things now than you used to when it comes to the the kind of decisions right contracts for coaches, the amount of money you're gonna spend, the amount of money you're going to guarantee, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So I would be shocked.
Speaker 2: If we hear of a new deal for Pat Kelsey before the season comes to an end. So that's my answer to your question. But I also don't really know that we should just expect. I mean, look, it's January fourteenth, so I mean, if they end up kind of finishing underwhelming compared to what they've done now as far as leveling up expectations, then maybe it's a maybe it's a different kind of conversation we're having. But let's just say they do stay hot and they end up finishing with like a sixteen and four record in in the ACC. I mean, if they go sixteen and four in the ACC, what would that make them twenty four and nine or something like that. So and then let's say they like, let me just give you a scenario. Let's say they finished the season twenty three and nine, sixteen and four in the ACC. They win, they make it all the way to the to the championship game of the ACC tournament, and they lose to Duke. So now they've earned a five seed, and then as a five seed they end up making it to the sweet sixteen and lose in the round of sixteen. Let's just say that plays out, which, by the way, that gets me excited because that's not a given. But like, that's also not at all crazy if you think about it, like, that's not a scenario that is unrealistic. Now, maybe they don't get up to a five, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you end up getting to the a SEC championship game, you've probably beat one of the good teams or decent teams in the league. So let's just say that plays out that exact way. I would imagine that he would get a contract extension and that Louisville would would understand, hey, not only have you earned more money than what we're paying you, because that job has paid a lot more money for a long time than what Pat is currently making right now. So that's a scenario where I could see, you know, no surprise that they announced a new deal for him as soon as the season ends. But then again, like if they don't, maybe it shouldn't. Maybe it shouldn't be that big of a surprise, because again, you got to be a little more mind in fact, you have to be more mindful of spending within your athletic department than you've ever been because again, right now, you're you're you're not paying any of the money currently for these guys you know that are uh, you know, making big time bucks from nil, you're gonna have to start paying twenty two million out annually. And again that's for every ad, that's for every student athlete. And how they divide it's going to be different depending upon what each school wants to do.
Speaker 3: But you just you can't. You can't make.
Speaker 2: Decisions factoring the factoring in the same things today as you did five six years ago, because again, it's way different now. So I think Pat Kelsey, if he wants to be here, Louisville will will. We'll always be able to make that happen. But to answer your question as far as like win a contract extension would happen, I think it's a little tough. It's always been kind of tough to know, but with the new world that we're in, it makes it even a little more difficult to know if in fact, like that's even on the minds of I mean, what it comes down to is the agent pushing the issue. I would imagine maybe Louisville at the end of the season doesn't even need the agent to do that. They just know, hey, got it, we want to get this guy locked in. Even more so because we realize because here's what happened Louisville. If the scenario that I put out there ends up playing out wishful thinking, of course, but if it does, it's going to be I think a storyline in college basketball that Pat Kelsey in his first year was able to revive Louisville from one of the worst teams in Power Basketball to a Sweet sixteen team Like that alone would be a storyline. It wouldn't probably be the lead storyline of the college basketball season, but it would certainly be in there, and it would be mostly about him, about how he has taken this opportunity, so he would have momentum. But has anybody ever tried to hire Louisville's coach other than Denny? Of course, whenever he turned down UCLA, Like when Denny turned down UCLA, did any other school even consider picking up the phone and trying to get him? Because you know, if he's going to stay at Louisville and not go back to UCLA for John Wooden, then we got no.
Speaker 3: Chance of getting him.
Speaker 2: And then with Rick, there were a couple of like, maybe I'll go ask Terry Miners because he would know. But when Rick was here, there were there were two occasions that I remember or his name came up, and I feel like it was one of those he wanted it to be out there. He had no interest in leaving, but it was kind of like he wanted to remind us that we should appreciate him as our coach. I think one of them was Saint John's when that opened up. I don't remember when it did or how it did, but like he clearly has a connection in New York, and now he's at Saint John's. And then I believe one time the UNLV job opened and there was some kind of the Internet was a different world back then I was young. So maybe we're in I mean, if if Pat Kelsey finishes strong and again that scenario that I laid out ends up happening, and there are other big jobs open up, Like I don't know which ones I'm thinking of here, but like I don't know, let's say, gosh, I can't even really thin because because if you are and this is the overall point I'm getting at, regardless of what the job is, if it's a big job or not, Like Louis has always been a program and I get it. I get and I just laid out sort of the timeline to where you don't think you're gonna go get your coach from Louisville because you know that coach is at Louisville. So I would imagine that that will stay the same. But again, right now, and I'll look at the numbers during the break, Pat Kelsey does not make a whole lot of money compared to any other Louisville coach in the last like twenty years, and you know, I guess that was a factor. I mean, I don't know if that was a factor and why they hired him, but either way, it's been beneficial for Louisville at this point. But if he finishes strong, I would hope that they have a contrary act ready for him to review and sign, or at least negotiate as soon as possible, because you know, you need to do that because he'll he'll have an offer elsewhere if in fact, you know, and again it's just I can't even process that scenario happening Louisville losing a basketball coach because they didn't they wouldn't pay like that. Just that's a scenario that I never see happening. So again, if Pat wants to be here and he has success, he'll be here for a long long time in Louisville. Won't be in a position where they're at where they will ever lose their coach because they weren't willing to invest and they weren't able to pay. All right, quick break, we'll come back here on the other side. Get back to the text line. Get back to more of your phone calls. Five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call text line the element federal credit you need text line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety. I'm sure you guys have seen the video by now. It's everywhere. The Eagles fan who is just a complete piece of garbage to this Viking span and it was videoed by one of the fans. I mean, Sports Talks seven ninety thanks for hanging out with us Game Day Louisville and Syracuse tonight seven o'clock. I haven't talked about it on the show in a few weeks, but I keep getting asked about it on Twitter and on the text line. So I'll just remind you, or I guess I just I mean, you're aware we're not doing postgame shows. If you were looking for them because they don't exist. We've not done basketball postgame shows for a while now, and we have no plans of doing them that I don't know of. I mean, maybe there'll be an exception, if you know, postseason stuff. I don't know, but right now, we just don't have the resources here to do it. So there's not a lot I can add to that. But for those asking where the postgame show is and why it went away, it's gone, and I'm sure we'll be back able to do it at some point. I just know right now we're not, and when that changes, I'll be sure to let you know. And it's been nice to know that people did a pre sha at the basketball postgame show and that they miss it, and it is It is awesome, you know, to be able to react to Louisville basketball in a good way like we're doing this season, And it would have been fun to do some postgame shows. But i'd be a liar, and I don't want to lie to you, want to be honest with you. I'd be a liar if I told you that I haven't at times enjoyed like being able to go to games. I mean, I can go to games and that's you know, I don't take that. I try not to take that for granted. But when I go to games that I'm doing a postgame show, it's it's it's not a I mean, it's it's different. I was gonna say it's not as good of an experience, and and I don't know if I mean that, but like it's it's it's it's a lot more work. You know, I've got to make sure I can get out at a certain time to be able to be situated to do the show live as soon as the game ends. And and look, that's that's a good thing. Like that's great that we were able to do that, and when we do get back to doing post game shows, that'll continue to be the case. But I'm just saying when I go to games when I have to do postgame, like, I can't stay for the whole game, and I gotta I gotta make some adjustment and I may miss some of the game, which is not ideal. So now that I've been able to go to some of the games and actually get tickets rather than using my credential and sit with my family and watch with my son, like again, i'd be a liar if I said I haven't been able to enjoy that, But I do know that eventually I won't be able to do that because it'll be back to work. It'll be back to doing the postgame shows whenever that may be so. And as long as I can continue to, you know, take advantage of the time off and enjoy it, then I'm going to Now when I'm at home and they're on the road, or and I'm not, I'm not there and there's nothing going on. Yeah, sometimes I'm like, damn, I wish. I wish I could fire up the equipment and react good or bad. And for the most part it's been good. But when I have a chance to go, like I wouldn't have been able to do the Pittsburgh trip. I mean, I could have taken taken the day off and had somebody fill in, but that's we don't even have. We don't have enough resources to get it to get the show on air. So if I if we were doing it and then I wasn't here, I don't know who they would have fill in. But anyways, it'll be back at some point. I just I just don't know when. We still obviously talked a whole lot about Louisville hoops. I mean, we really have turned in a good chunk of the next show after a game, kind of into a basketball post game show a little bit. So anyways, all right, five oh two five seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give a call. Also, five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line.
Speaker 3: This tex says Nick.
Speaker 2: Have you checked in on all the former players that have left Louisville that played for Kenny Paine? Is there one guy you wish was still here? I haven't thought about that in a long long time. I remember once they had some injuries, I thought, okay, man, it would have been would have been something if you could keep Brandon Huntley Hatfield or even JJ trainor who would have at least given you some size. But really, since this team, I mean even after they got injured and then you saw this team really missing certain components early on, especially with Cason, I mean you knew there was I mean, you can't get them back anyway. So, like I to answer your question, I haven't thought about it, So I really can't give you much of an answer, and I haven't checked in on what those guys were doing. I'd be shocked if there's I'd be really shocked if there was one player for Louisville from last year that like, is having a really good year statistically at any level. I could be totally wrong. I know sky Clark was doing decent for for Olemit or for UCLA, but I don't, you know, I don't know. Yes, well, actually no, I mean I guess he's had some good games. But man, since they got into conference play, yes, so Skytt Clark's averaging six points and two assists and two rebounds at UCLA. I mean, Louisville upgraded in a major way with with Chucky Hepburn and and really the backcourt in general. That's not a shot at Skyt Clark. It's just, you know, That's why I don't I don't think there's anybody right now that that, like I wish was still here.
Speaker 3: Could they utilize.
Speaker 2: One of these guys, you know, as far as depth that kind of stuff, Yeah, Brandon Hilly Hadfield's averaging nine points and five boards playing twenty one and a half minutes a game for NC State.
Speaker 3: I mean he might give you again some more depth and better imp protection, but I haven't.
Speaker 2: In fact, this text reminds me that like I haven't, even like they've been able to make you forget that they're dealing with real injury issues. And it actually the reminder for me. And it's not like you know, it doesn't matter at all, but like they've been able to show that one they can still play well without prior in Corin Johnson, and we didn't know how good they could be, but this point they've they've exceeded my expectations as far as how good of a team they can be without Casein. But when I see those out there acknowledging how good Pat Kelsey's doing this year getting Louisville back in the mix back to their winning way, not only is it impressive because they've been terrible and he build a team from scratch, but he's doing it without case In Pryor. Like I think it was two of the national guys that cover the sport. One of them might have been Rosting, the other might have been our man Kevin Sweeney from Sports Illustrated, But they acknowledged that that's another factor in how pack kell S's in a good position to maybe be national coach of the year. And again, I just they've played so well in the last six seven games that I haven't even thought about any of the injuries or I haven't thought about any anybody that I wish was still on this team. But now you got me be curious. So I mentioned Scott Clark and Brandon hilly Hatfield, Mike James, he's having a good year for Kevin keats good for him. I did not realize that, Yeah, James is having a fine season twelve points, six points, five boards. I mean I don't I'm not sitting here wishing he was still on the team, but he's having a better year there than I'd realized. Trey White averaging eleven points at Illinois, They're having a good season. So I will say this, Trey White and Mike Games their production, that those are you know, I said, I'd be shocked if I look and see if any of these guys are having any you know, real individual success producing. And I was wrong, because both Sky Clark and Trey White are having better years than I would have expected. And clearly I wasn't aware that they're and and Trey White's on a good team too. By the way, the one guy that I thought would be really successful elsewhere, just because I thought he was a really, really talented player.
Speaker 3: So far, I was wrong.
Speaker 2: Tyler Johnson is not having much of a I mean, yeah, he's Tyler Johnson is averaging four point four points and one and a half rebounds and to assist the game for wake Forest and he's playing seventeen minutes a game now. He is behind some really good guards, so maybe that's a factor. Obviously, Hunter Sallas and Cam hill Dress. I mean, those guys are are pretty good, so they're doing the you know, those two guys specifically are the leading scorers for wake Forest, so maybe that's a factor. But yeah, I thought Tyler would have a lot of success post Louisville, but that.
Speaker 3: That's not been the case. All right.
Speaker 2: So obviously we've talked a lot of college hoops today, and when it comes to football, it's been the College Football National Championship matchup and a little bit about the NFL playoffs. That's that's kind of where we've been this afternoon. But Louisville football got another Let's see, let me make sure I've got this correct, because this is a this is this is an accolade and honor that I don't think Louisville has ever had before from a player, and that is what the hell is it? Here we go, Isaac Brown was named a Football Football Writers Association Freshman All American.
Speaker 3: So let's see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this says he's the twelfth freshman to earned first team All American accolades in school history. And look, I don't need to run through his numbers, his stats, because you know, you guys, you guys were you guys were well aware of how good he was. But it's nice to see these these things keep trickling in because next year, this offense should be I mean, the offense could be better than it was a year ago. Should be better than it was a year ago, which is crazy to say, considering that they were pretty damn good offensively this season. And I hate doing it, but I'll be honest. I'll be transparent with you whenever I Whenever I think about next season and I get real excited about Jeff brom maybe lighting up scoreboards, I instantly have a little bit of fear of, uh, oh, well, maybe that won't be good enough because defensively, I mean, I don't want to I don't want to make it a whole thing throughout the entire offseason here when it comes to Louisville football, because I think it's clear they've got some real momentum two years in when it comes to when it comes to to Jef brom and they should be good next year. And you know, I want positive energy, positive momentum. You know that'll get people excited, and people should be excited about Loisll football. So I'm gonna try not to bring it up like any time we talk louis Of football in the twenty twenty five season, but it's it's a real thing for me. I don't think Ron English is the worst guy ever. There's no guarantee that you could go hire somebody and he wouldn't be worse. I just think two years in, from what I can see, you've got a guy that isn't great as your DC and at times when the defense has struggled. To me, it seems pretty obvious that the bulk of that issue, the bigger factor was the defensive strategy, the defensive coaching, than it was players. Players always are going to be accountable. One. You may have guys that just simply aren't as talented as you need to be against certain teams, you may have guys that just have bad games or you just know that they're not given the right effort. Like players are always held accountable. But I just think when I saw Louisville's defense fall apart in Jeff's first and when I saw the issues they had at times this year, I thought it was way more to do with who's leading the defense than who's out there on the field. And when you know that, and you were vulnerable this year at times where man, you were really good. Good season nine and four. I mean, it wasn't elite, but it's a good season, but it's not all on the defense. Clearly they did a good job and helped you get to nine wins, but they also were a liability at times. I mean they spotted SMU fourteen points in that game. I mean against Stanford. Everybody deserves to blame for that whole disaster, but I would say the defense probably deserves it more than any So when you know that, and you know, I don't think there's a scenario that if you move on from Ron English that like he goes on and has a great success elsewhere, and you feel like, man, I can't believe we let that guy go, Like, I just feel like there's really no big risk in making a move and I would just look. I said it on the post game show when they beat Washington and El Paso. If next year you're in the same spot and we're taking calls and everybody's bitching about Ron English for good reason and they had a forty two point outing or a thirty five point outing from the offense and that still wasn't enough, I imagine at that point they'll be They'll they'll be more angry fans, myself included when it comes to the defense in Ron English. But we've already known that two years in, so like the decision to bring Ron English back, and if we're in the same boat at times and it cost you games, I mean all the energy in regards to.
Speaker 3: The frustration, it'll it.
Speaker 2: I think we'll be shifted at Brahm and not Ron English, Like Ron English just kind of told us who he is. And again, I even talking about it makes it sound like I think he's the worst ever. I just I kind of think we know what we have there, and I think it should have been better than it was for the majority of the first two seasons and when you know that, like I think it's it's it's a risk to continue to do it and not expect it to potentially bite you. And what's unfair is that next year, like the defense, you know, the defense could be you know, could be good at times or maybe you know, maybe we think they're really good because of a light schedule early on, but then they get you know, then they end up getting into games against legitimate competition, and like, I just think they're Ron English in his first two seasons at this point, and Jeff can't make his decision based off of what fans think. He's got to make the decision that he thinks his best. That's his job, and he'll do that. But I mean, I just I can't imagine that if next year your defense is a liability to an extent that it impacts how you view your ceiling. Right the defense, because the offense should be good enough to where the defense doesn't have to be great. But if they put you in position where they are, you know, they have these big chunk plays they give up, they've got miscommunication, too many men on the field, silly penalty like hitting somebody when they're out of bounds. That's what gave Stanford the chance to beat you? Like those things. I don't know how Jeff wouldn't blame himself because those things have happened and it's already cost you to an extent. So I'm going to ninety five percent of the time talk about how excited and positive I am about next year because I think they've got a chance to once again be really good.
Speaker 3: And who knows.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's twelve teams that get into the playoff now, I mean Louisville this year, despite some frustrating losses and some head scratching things that played out, they were technically in it until they lost to Stanford. So I'm excited, but I'd be a liar if I didn't at least acknowledge that I have some fear that we could get We could be in the same boat where everybody's just thinking. Man, just imagine if this defense was a little more reliable. All right, let's do this. Let's get to a quick break. And we had some people calling in a moment ago, and I'm in here by myself right now, so like I'm I'm doing both hosting and producing, so I think I know how to answer the call. But what I what I think I'm gonna do. So what I'm if you call in and we had people on the line and they've dropped off, and we have people calling, and I during that break there and I couldn't. I didn't want to risk it and you know, mess up the show by hitting the wrong button. But what I think I'll be able to do is when you call, I'll be able to pick it up. But I'm not answering you. You're just gonna hear the show, you'll hear me. And then if you've called before, your name is in the system. But if it's a number and I don't have a name, I may have to say, hey, hello, how what's your name? Welcome into the show. I don't know if we're going to get there, but I do want to let you know. You can still give us a call. But it's just me. I'm a one man operation right now. That's that's that's that's where we are. So if I WoT I have seven one seventy nine hundred, if you were on hold, or if you want to call back when I couldn't answer, we should be good to go from here on out.
Speaker 3: So stick with us.
Speaker 2: We're taking you up until six o'clock. Right here, it's Coffee and Company Fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven to night.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's Coffee and Company Fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. As we wrap up the four o'clock hour, I'm looking here at a ton of college basketball games to bet on, which, of course you know, is exciting. However, I, you know, I get a little overwhelmed when we have so many games. I end up just randomly, I just don't do as much homework, and sometimes that actually ends up working out, which means it's really all luck. But certainly a lot of games to bet on the night, and I had a two leg parlay come through last night, which gives me a little momentum heading into tonight. Not a great weekend for me, certainly, not a good Sunday. Did not do well with the NFL playoffs. But when it comes to when it comes to the two leg parlay last night, it was I did money Line, and I didn't want to say this too to Austin, but I did money Line Rams and I actually didn't get in on time, So I got better odds. Don't I feel like there were better odds, more juice, I should say, for a RAMS money line when to come through early in the game than it was before kicked off. But I don't know what would have happened early on that would have made that adjustment, made that shift, because I mean, the Vikings were I mean, didn't really seem like they were ever in a good position. I mean, as Troy Aikman said, everything that could go wrong seemingly went wrong for the Vikings last night. So I took Rams money line. And then I also and I've I've had some luck with this. I call it luck because I still don't know if it's because I'm just getting lucky or maybe I am having some ability to kind of see the lines move and get a feel for the totals Like Live total bets are are fascinating to me because you know, you can you know, there's calculators out there that I reference from time to time that'll tell me, Okay, right now, Live, I'm getting one point fifty six and a half. That seems way too high. What are they on pace to get?
Speaker 3: Wow? This is that this line is said as if they expect things to really pick up. I don't. I think it's going to be played ugly. So let me go ahead and take the under.
Speaker 2: And I've had a few instances where that worked out for me, and I'm going to continue to do it. And I don't know if it's because I'm just getting lucky or if maybe you know, because it changes so much that that's why I used to hate live betting whenever. And actually, I guess this is this is probably something I didn't mean. I should have realized this before, just now in this moment. But when I used to try to do live bets, I could never get him in because anytime I would make a selection within it within a second to click make bet, they would change and I'd have to reset. And every time I would pick something new and then try to bet, it would tell me that it's that it's changed again. But I just realized that was whenever I was using an offshore sportsbook, because you know, it wasn't legal here. Now it's and they still change quite a bit, and you don't have a whole lot of time to, you know, put something extensive together, as far as a parlay that features live games because by the time you've picked three or four legs, half of them or more have probably it changed. But within the apps were using here legally they have a you know, it's pretty they keep they keep the legs together and just have you acknowledge that there has been some slight movement. But I kind of like the live betting because I feel like, you know, when I do win, and again it's probably just luck, it gives me, you know, there's an added level of accomplishment because I'm like, yeah, you know what they were making. They were making adjustments, and they were making these changes and they were wrong. I had a better eye for where this game was going. Again, it's all luck at the end of the day, but it's even more enjoyable when you feel like you didn't just get lucky, you saw something that nobody else did. Louisville still favored by eight. That has moved a little bit throughout the day. I think it was closer to seven as of this morning. But yeah, just looking at other matchups tonight, I mean, again, I know it's not probably great content for this show, but there are some really good games tonight when it comes to like, I mean games where you've got low spreads because like Indiana Illinois, like that should be a really good game. I don't know if it's going to be Ole Miss in Alabama. I think that's gonna be a really good game. Yet Alabama's favored by eleven and a half points. I think that's a little much. And then tonight, Wow, you don't often see this, but makes total sense. Oh and five Miami. Of course, Larnaga bailed mid season because they're an absolute mess.
Speaker 3: Duke is really playing well.
Speaker 2: Maybe the best team in the country their favorite About twenty four I could.
Speaker 3: Be wrong here.
Speaker 2: There can't be many games in acc play in recent years where the spread's been that big, and if it was in recent years, it was probably Louisville being on the wrong end of it. But yeah, twenty four point favorites, Duke is over Miami. I'm not gonna touch it. But if I I mean, if I had to, I would take Duke to cover. But tonight, I mean, this is to me as a college basketball nerd, this is a real win for us when it comes to conference realignment because what this has done is it has it's made it to where you now have like West Coast games against teams that not that you care about, but you're familiar with the enough to where you're gonna want to watch because or you're gonna want to watch if you bet on it right. And you've got a tip off tonight between Baylor and Arizona at eleven o'clock USC I'm sorry, UCF and Arizona State also at eleven o'clock. This isn't a Westcoat, this isn't a big time matchup, but at Colorado State San Diego State at eleven o'clock. So nerds like myself, sickos for the sport of college basketball. It is great when we know we can stay up till eleven o'clock and watch, you know, like games they're gonna be on TV, not on some obscure streaming network. And I'm probably not gonna stay up and watch these games in their entirety, but I know this, I'll probably be looking at about I don't know, ten o'clock realizing anything I bet beforehand was not successful, and I'm gonna be looking at what's available and I'm gonna think, you know what, here we go, We're gonna we're gonna be able to finish potentially strong we're gonna be able to end the night with a win. And I don't know if it's gonna happen, but I'll at least have a chance to go to sleep thinking there's a chance I could end the day with a win rather than a loss. If history repeats itself, it won't be successful for me. And I don't want to make it out to where I never win, because I went enough to where it's still at least enjoyable. I could lose five straight times, but if I get a win on the six, try like it's awesome. That's what keeps you around, at least for me. All right, let's do this. Let's get to the top of the hour break here. We've got another hour to go. Five o'clock hour is next, and we'll keep this thing rolling along, at least I think we will. I'm a one man operation right now, meaning I'm the only one here producing and hosting, so I don't really know.
Speaker 3: I think we're on the air. I hope we are, but.
Speaker 2: I feel like we weren't. I would know by now, but anyways, stick around. We'll take up til six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: This report is sponsored by rapid Radios