Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of January twentieth, we're continuing with Lost season two episode five, Dot Dot Dot and Found, which could also have just been called we have more episod so it's to fill. Then we have storyline, so here enjoy this.
Speaker 2: Here's a little bit more about Jin and Son and how they met.
Speaker 1: And I feel like we knew before, yeah, but we did learn a few things. We learned The Sawyer is neither gay nor married.
Speaker 2: Information right.
Speaker 1: We learned that the way to find something you have lost is to stop looking for luck, So good luck with that. We we uh learned that if you're burying a bottle in the sand, maybe take your ring off and put it in a pocket first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And did we not think when you were retracing your steps and looking for it, like, oh, yeah, I was digging in the sand with my bare hands, you would have snoop not son, She didn't, she didn't think of that.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep. Uh.
Speaker 2: The Jack's wedding ring is in a sock drawer, remember, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, also no longer married, which we knew before, which we already knew. Yeah, yeh, yeah, I noticed its Sun still is wearing her watch, which still looks very pristine and like it just came out of a sock drawer. But what is exactly the purpose of being able to tell time on the islands?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: I guess if you like to go to bed the same time every night and haven't don't have a sun dial or anything, it's you know, everybody asks Sun what time? Do this thing? And she looks and she says, why yes, no sand or water has impeded my time piece. It's uh a one super quality from my rich father.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, and we learned that, uh, you know, blind dating is just generally bad, even if you have somebody setting you up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was too bad.
Speaker 1: Really nice restaurant to go to, m h Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, poor son, like I seemed he seemed nice. Turned out there.
Speaker 1: Was a lot of suspense though. Wasn't he knew that she was going to end up with the doorman? Come on, right? From a parenting point of view, we had that reminder lesson that your kid is going to have to go to the bathroom in advance. Reminded me of how I mean, everybody wants their kid to get out of diapers. Diapers or pain diapers are expensive, you have to change them, it's gross. But man, you never have to worry about your kid having to go to the bathroom somewhere you don't have a place for them to go, ye, and you don't have to worry about them touching disgusting things in the bathroom, which you do once they're self sufficient.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you sure do?
Speaker 1: I was, I was like, really do it? Could I just still put him on the changing table when we're out. Would that be okay? I would't mess him up too much?
Speaker 2: Was it? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yea, because I had I had a kid who was very much in the uh the touch things and put your hands in your mouth, yes, for way past the time, which it didn't make me scream, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you had to.
Speaker 1: You had to feel for that guy and his job because you didn't have a plan where your kids was gonna be. Nice work man. If he hadn't lost his job, he never would have met son, you know, never would have had a tragic romance. He never would have been on an island with a bunch of misfits, uh being afraid of the others.
Speaker 2: So so basically it's all because of that kid.
Speaker 1: That kid, if you could have held it a little bit longer, everybody's lives would have been different.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we uh got a name to apply to mister echo. Right right, Also, I believe they gave a name to Libby the blonde. Looks like she has not been having a fine time on the island, right, And UH learned a little of their story. Sorry, I guess that a bunch of their people got absconded with Are we supposed to think that. When then, when uh Gin and mister Echo are hiding in the bush and we see a whole bunch of legs go by.
Speaker 2: So many legs really alive?
Speaker 1: Were those supposed to be some of their compadres or just or those the others themselves? Or just what?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was that? And how much do those people get paid for late legap?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Just did the ones who were wearing pants get paid less than the ones who had to have their legs all dirty up? I think so. I think there should have been pro rating on them. Yeah, if Walt had a teddy Bear, I would have thought that was probably him. But I do not believe the Walt had a Teddybear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that looked like a white kid, even though it was legs were all covered with dirt, but it seemed like you could tell.
Speaker 1: But I sort of wonder what the purpose of having the teddy Bear there is if it's not to differentiate that, Hey, this is a kid, and we're looking for a kid. But right who knows there are other kids?
Speaker 2: There are other kids. Apparently it's let us know that.
Speaker 1: I guess all sorts of problems, but I do feel like most kids don't drag their comfort objects around by a string, like if you're gonna insist on keeping this teddy bear, They're they're holding it like they're not by the neck. Maybe teddy, but it could go through anything.
Speaker 2: It's like seeing some things. I guess street.
Speaker 1: Me rough me up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: Vincent, on the other hand, seems to have no particular is are there no leashes? Does Shannon just let him run around and they go, oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, I can't find the door? Right, they do have a leash.
Speaker 1: Sometimes set up a little pan. I'm pretty sure there's enough junk on the beach that they could set up a little pan for this animal. Lock could build it, right, but Lock could absolutely build it. You can build it any He could build it and the dog would like it. Yeah, but no, just go poop all over the place. Got a ring in there? Let us know.
Speaker 2: If you go. Let's see.
Speaker 1: First, we dug in the sand, We looked for a lost object. We waited for a dog to poop something out, you know, one one fun day after the other Lepole Island, Right, But I could sympathize with Michael. I mean, it's ridiculous that Michael just they say the others are over there, and he just runs through the jungle in that general direction. Right. But I also have myself known the completely irrational burst of energy you get doing something for your kid. I'm gonna make this, I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna get that, I'm gonna find them, and you just like you know, fly off into absolutely no effective way of doing what you want to do. But dang it, you're not gonna sit there. I'm not gonna stand here. I'm gonna go make it worse.
Speaker 2: Oh dear.
Speaker 1: That seemed to me like a very parenting behavior, completely irrational and heated and loud and uh doomed to failure. But you know, at least you don't have to just stand there.
Speaker 2: And I mean Jinn's extremely limited English, he just does seem to be able to follow what's happened.
Speaker 1: He's picking it up. He's learned a couple of words, he's heard a lot of words, a lot.
Speaker 2: Others. Yeah, no, stop it.
Speaker 1: He's able to say, you'll find Walt, Yes, but yeah, you know, he's a fast learner. He still has that book that son gave him, both with Trent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Port Starboard anchor. Very helpful.
Speaker 1: You just start saying that you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh goodness.
Speaker 1: I also thought that suns extended. Really it was episode long search for her Ring. This is how light the thread was in this particular episode. Did remind me of when you just go fervently after some small thing that you think you can change. Yes, yes, it is a big thing that is really bothering you, and then when you can't even do the small thing, yes, it is just.
Speaker 2: Start ripping out your garden that you work so hard on.
Speaker 1: Now, in this case, I mean, the ring has sentimental value regarding Jin, who she feels she has lost, right, so there's a little more of a significance to it. But it's still it's like the I'm going to do this one small thing if it kills me and everybody in my pathes because I have to do someth thing and I can't do the thing that I need to do. So a hug for you through the airways. It's I'm glad it wasn't its intestines. I'm glad. Yes, And Kate is sad that she didn't say goodbout a Sawyer.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's kind of the blue. Yeah, he really came out of nowhere and.
Speaker 1: Like, well, I guess now that he's dead, she can feel warmly towards him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also what was going through the notes in the bottle? Gonna yes do for that scenario? Like, are you thinking he left one for you?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know she read them. Maybe he said something nice about her or something.
Speaker 2: I mean, she knows she didn't put one in there, or if she did, you know, it wasn't about him. So like, I don't know what she thinks she's gonna find in there.
Speaker 1: Probably she didn't put the airplane in there.
Speaker 2: She's not gonna let that go.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen the airplane in a while. Yeah, that was next to Sun Sun's wedding ring.
Speaker 2: But as we talked about last week, these people are jumping to conclusions.
Speaker 1: They really are. They really are, because we are just right over there.
Speaker 2: They're coming, they're coming back.
Speaker 1: Don't do anything. Don't do anything permanent. Yeah, that will be a problem when they come back. Right, Rose should not take up with some other young guy there.
Speaker 2: Rose is the only one who's we can be certain it is not going to.
Speaker 1: Do Yes, she is faithful. Good for her, She's going to be so happy unless he gets killed in the jungle on the way that wouldn't happen. Rose has to be our little little happy place in the middle of the all the all the young young people having stressful situations. Right Rose is just doing laundry, waiting for us, and she's unflappable.
Speaker 2: That one.
Speaker 1: We need to keep it that way. I do not wish to see her suffer.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Well, when we finished watching this episode, my husband's assessment of it was what a waste. I said, I had to find some parenting lessons in it, and he said, don't go digging in the sand. So I share with you his wisdom. Yeah, at least you know, take your precious jewelry off.
Speaker 2: I guess, or if you do, go back and look in that spot.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're retracing your steps.
Speaker 2: Honey, Yes, I mean, I guess. She was just so grief stricken that she forgot.
Speaker 1: But she was not thinking clearly. No, a thing which, as mentioned previously, I can relate to you. So yikes, did they they set up a like a twelve that they're on the islands. I know they were talking about showers. Yeah, they talked about a latrine.
Speaker 2: No, only only vincent. How they how they alluded to Vincent's needs in that.
Speaker 1: Area, but yes, nobody else, it's fine. They're not eating very much.
Speaker 2: So and you know, we know they don't have diapers for the baby, right like Blcke hasn't like beaten some wood into pulp and made it into diapers, so.
Speaker 1: It's gonna say he has. And that somebody has built an outhouse, yes, or a series of them. There's probably a bad There must be a bathroom in the hatch, right, you haven't seen it. Yeah, there's a shower. There must be like stalls or something, right, yeah, I would have to think it's just let's just assume.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and toilet paper, Darma dharma toilet.
Speaker 2: Right branded toilet paper.
Speaker 1: I think we should stop. This episode was much Yeah, we've pretty much gotten what we can out of that.
Speaker 2: I would say, right.
Speaker 1: Next week we will continue with season two, episode six, have lost called abandoned. I'm surprised they haven't used that before. It seems like like a generic lost title. Like all the action picks up somewhat, so okay, we will not be looking for somebody's small lost item. Good and and saying again, hey, did we tell you that that Jack got married? Let's look at that again. Did you know that Kate has an airplane? She had a boyfriend?
Speaker 2: What was that about again?
Speaker 1: Let's just have a reminder, No, no more of that.
Speaker 2: Moving forward progress.
Speaker 1: Yes, about time. We will see you back here tomorrow to discuss shrinking. Thank you for listening. You can find all her up so it's on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.