Speaker 1: We're Toarmin Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest. Telegan's welcome back to another edition of the Pso. I am the team. You're Telow Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with All and your Telo Lorenzo because my love the husband. He how are your lovely husband.
Speaker 2: I'm wonderful.
Speaker 1: He is working every day preparing our trip. So much to do. Uh and Donicall and Dublin, We're just gonna be very busy boys.
Speaker 2: I was just talking to someone about it, like, we can't just go. I mean there's so much reparation, right, you know, for the site, for everything. I wish I could just go and not worry about anything, like like any other person. I can play, But now we have to prepare ahead of time everything, and then we still have to write. I mean we we you know, we tour all day, which is wonderful. I'm not complaining, But then we go back to the hotel and then we have to start prepairing.
Speaker 1: Fan to work, and we're gonna wind up recording, yeah, two of the Bitterkin Movie Club entries before we go. We're probably gonna wind up doing that this weekend actually, And so that we can space them out while we're gone.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just it's it's how it is. I'm not complaining. I'm a god. He's a wonderful true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, but no, very exciting, very excited.
Speaker 2: We've been to Ireland, as I mentioned, but I'm very excited about Scotland.
Speaker 1: And we're checking the weather every day, I know, because it's that we're going to We're not gonna I know, not gonna be I mean, and is not going to get that.
Speaker 2: Europe is on fire right now. And it's funny because my brother lives in the Netherlands and I just text him and I said, how's the weather there? I know it's Bernie and and he's like, yeah, and we don't have it condition And I completely forgot he doesn't have it. And I'm like, what, you don't have air condition? No, we don't. We don't need it. Well, clearly you guys do. I mean, things have to change. I was just listening on NPR about that, because that's all they talk about. It's how hot it is in your that Europe has to change that. I mean, they have to story.
Speaker 1: Well, part of the problem, for instance in the UK because this is an issue in the UK is that they're you know, their infrastructure does not really support and we're not just talking about things like windows. It's also the kind of roofs that they have, and it's you know, the kind of insulation that they My understanding is they don't actually have that much intulation in the UK. It's not actually you know, legally required as much.
Speaker 2: I mean, aside from hotels obviously they have their prepare for guests for tourists, but in general, I remember going to the Buccane Palace, I believe, and it's smell like sweat inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean it's even further than that, like their rail lines cannot handle the heat because the metal of their trucks can't even handle it. So like the economy, it affects the economy. Inous ways, forty people drowned, and I know, and I mean I've seen some of this on social media. Europeans get very bent out of ship when Americans start saying shit like this, And I have to say, there's no denying that there's a certain amount of anti American posturing when they start getting defensive about it, like air conditioning is something that you use stilly Americans cook or hardcore Europeans don't need it, and it's like, well, actually, hundreds of you were dying every year, so maybe you do need it. But like I said, it's not as simple as Americans think. We'll just pop it a window unit in, but their windows can't support it, their electrical grid can't support it.
Speaker 2: So you know, a lot going on.
Speaker 1: It wasn't you know, these countries were not developed. You know, they're thousands of years old in a climate that was gone. You know, they never had to worry about this sort of stuff. That's why we look at America and there are whole portions, massive portions of America that get very, very hot, and always did. It's not like suddenly Arizona became as hot, as it's been that way for hundreds of years. So it's sort of built into our culture that yeah, you need air conditioning at this time of year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well that's the beauty over Europe because everything gets old.
Speaker 1: But then when when the climates start changing, and then when you get old you die of heat stroke.
Speaker 2: I know. So anyway, it's very hot there. I don't think Scotland will be hot, but I think I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, Ireland will be but I don't keep checking and it's not going above eighty degrees anytime over there.
Speaker 2: You tell us gott you Scottish, you know kittens, tell.
Speaker 1: Us the UK kittens and the Irish. Well we're not going to be in England, but let us know.
Speaker 2: How the weather.
Speaker 1: All right, we have much to talk about. Yes, yes, yes, I know that you have some tiktoky things that you want to get off your chest. And you've been, like most of America observing all of the people from all over the world coming to the to the country for the World Cup, and it's actually been a good moment for us because you know, this country is not in a great place at the moment are standing in the world is the worst it's ever been. And you know, there was talk for months ahead of time because of the you know, draconian immigration policies of this administration and the way people are just getting turned away. There was that referee a couple of weeks ago that was turned away and people predicted, oh my god, this was going to be a disaster for the United States. It's we're gonna look, We're gonna be so embarrassed on the world stage. But I think the reason this has been so great is because it's people meeting people. It's not countries meeting countries. It's not leaders meeting leaders. It's actually people from Scotland partying with people from Boston. You know, when you get away from the leaders and the policy and all of that other stuff and you just let people be people. Yeah, America is a great place, right.
Speaker 2: They have something else in common, which is sports, you know, right, soccer. They all beer and beer, which they ran out of beer in Boston.
Speaker 1: In Boston.
Speaker 2: It's just that, you know, it's Yeah. When when they announced the games, we're gonna be here, it got very complicated and it was this whole discussion about you know, how we're gonna handle it, and when we're in the middle of this immigration crisis, and a lot of people were saying, we're not going, but you know, if you're a hardcore fan, you you're gonna come no matter what. And a lot of people did. And it was interesting to see, especially on social media on TikTok, all these representations here was just so much fun. All the things that happened, like especially here in Philadelphia, we had the braziliance, we had the French people they were all here. They were all over the Art Museum, you know, the steps and and just partying and dancing. And then in Boston they had Thetish people wearing kilts all over the city and having the best time. You know, they drank all the beer they had there. And then they moved to Miami. It is just fun. Fun to see, oh in the Dutch. My god, the Dutch friends going nuts everywhere. Just awesome to see that. I mean, you know, soccer fans in Europe they can get a little wild, and I'll leave it at that, you know, but they can also be a lot of fun. They yeah, they're fun. They they're they're enthusiastic about everything. And it was nice to see them here in the country. And it was interesting to see, especially on TikTok with hilarious they experiencing America, United States for the first time and all the things that they noticed here that they were just funny. One of them, the first one I thought it was hilarious, is that how everything is huge, because you know, they went to Dallas, most of them, and how everything is huge, like the supermarkets are huge, Walmart. They couldn't believe how all the choices that we have here of Syria, of everything, and it's just just fun to see that. The other thing was the portions, you know, like how they all went to restaurants and how you know, the portions are enormous here. And it's funny because we have international friends. We have friends from Blatin America everywhere, and when they come here, they always mentioned the same thing. They always talk about how big the portions are here in the United States compared to you know ere for example, where you get like these tiny little things when you go to a restaurant. So that was fun to see on social media people showing their plates and it's just cute. And then the thing about ranch dressing, which was hilarious. TSA had to actually make a statement and tell Europeans when they were heading back home to not, you know, buy so much ranch dressing and to take it with them in the in their you know, carry on luggage because they couldn't do it. So that was funny to see. And I believe it because my brother's obsessed with blue cheese dressing and I always have to bring it to him because he loves it. It's just funny how some salad dresses in the United States are like people never heard of it or never experience it, and they're obsessed with it. So that was fun. The other thing that I find interesting, of course, they're all here and you get to see that conversation a lot on social media, especially on TikTok, the whole tipping thing, which I find very very interesting because Europeans especially are always complaining that they have to tip here in the United States, and I find that fascinating, the whole topic, because they just don't get it. It's part of the culture here. It's one of the things here that they just can't understand. And you know, also the same thing when we go to Europe, like when I go to Europe. When we go to Europe, I'm always like confused about should I tip? I mean, how much do I tip? I'm always asking my brother and my friends, I mean should I And they're like, no, don't worry about it. They're fine. It's just a different culture. And I remember I've had situations here. I remember, and it was all of the New York Times had a whole article about it because how New York hate They hate tourists because they don't tip, and so therefore they give them a very bad service, and then they complain about the service, but they don't understand that, you know, it's the whole process. Here, it's a cycle. You know, you don't get tips, so they don't feel like giving you a good service. But Europeans feel like, you know, they deserve a service regardless. But I had situations here. I had a friend from Latin America coming here to the United States and we went out to dinner and we actually had a major fight about tippy because she did not want to tip at all and I and I just, yeah, I got a little annoyed with it because I feel like it's I understand your point of view, but at the same time, I feel like if you are in a different country, you know, you have to sort of adapt to the culture or the customs. You know, if tippy is a thing he in the United States, then you just have to go with it. It's just the way it is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: They rely on it, waiters rely on it, you know, So I I understand. But at the same time, I feel like, if you are in a different country, you should sort of embrace how things are done. I do.
Speaker 1: For the most part, people have been pretty good about it while they've been here.
Speaker 2: But I do also feel that we're way out of line when it comes to tipping in this country. Now that's a whole different story that. I mean, you get anything, they ask you to tip for anything. Uh, So that's annoying. And and they put you in a position where they turn that thing around, that tablet around and and you know, sort of like shame you if you don't tip anymore. So it's complicated, but it's always it's very interesting every time the topic comes up on social media, especially on TikTok. They always, I mean, it's always a fight. It's always this argument, especially between the United States and and your when it comes to tipping. So, how do you feel about it? Do you feel it's okay to tip? Do you tip when you're in here? How do you feel about the subject? And you, oh, you're asking I'm asking our listeners in gen or how you feel if you have any situation. Oh and then I had another friend who didn't tip. He in the United State, and this is hysterical. He left the restaurant, uh and the waiter went after him, chased him down and ask him why he didn't tip, And and and you know you didn't like the service and it was something wrong why you didn't tip and got him completely off course and he didn't know what to say. But anyway, it it's yeah, it's a complicated subject, but I feel like if you hear, that's the bottom line to me is that if you hear, then you should tip.
Speaker 1: I agree, all right, Why don't we take a short break before we do that. I do want to run down what we're doing this because I never even mentioned it. It's mostly a TV talk episode except for Lorenzo's little thing about tipping. We just went through. But we're doing a TV talk episode, and when we come back, I will talk about Spider Noir. Proud I will find you, And we're the last part of this podcast. We're going to talk about how said the Dragon.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be right back. We're back, and now we're plunging into TV talk. I have been meaning to talk a little bit about Spider Noir for a while, and I'm kind of late. I didn't realize that that series dropped almost a month ago. It dropped on Prime. It stars Nicholas Cage. It's a sort of a take on Spider Man. I'm actually a little surprised. As a longtime nerd, I'm a little surprised that stories like this get told because for the longest time, the conventional wisdom in the world of comic books was that the quote unquote civilian public could not handle things like multi verse variants and that sort of thing. It was too complicated, it was too nerdy, it was too offbeat. But you know, now there's a whole TV series about a Spider Man variant played by Nicholas Cage. Now, the Spider Verse was introduced to the public in a series of animated films, and Nicholas Cage played the Spider Noir character, or he voiced the Spider Noir character in these films. But I remember raising my eyebrow when I heard that he had been cast in a live action version, because he is a Spider Man character, and you know, Nicholas Cage is in his sixties and looks at and I was like, how is that gonna work? Bottom line is I actually don't think it does. I was a little surprised because the critics were kind of like pretty supportive of this when it first came out. It was charming and worth your time, and everything, and it is charming, And I won't tell you whether it's worth your time or not, because maybe charm is all you're looking for. Maybe Nicholas Cage is all you're looking for. Maybe Brendan Gleeson as a nineteen thirties you know gangster, which there is a lot of fun in watching him say things like superpowers with his with his Irish accent. But it really didn't grab me.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: In fact, I didn't finish it, and I am a nerd, but I don't, for one thing, I don't think this version of the character is all that interesting. I don't think putting Spider Man in a nineteen thirties and war detective storyline, it just doesn't grab me.
Speaker 2: I feel like sometimes it works for a comic book, but not for a movie for live action. I will say that.
Speaker 1: The series looks amazing, and you have the option it's on Prime video. You have the option of watching it in black and white, are watching it in color?
Speaker 2: And you did both.
Speaker 1: I just think it's much more worth your time if you're gonna do it, watch it in black and white.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's a noir, it's meant to be, you know, a classic film noir. So watching it in color, I'm like, why would you do that? When you switch over to black and white, it looks amazing. I have to admit the sets, and I realize everything must be digital. There's a whole like vistas of New York, you know, streets in the nineteen thirties that simply do not exist in the real world today. So I have to assume all of that stuff was done digitally. But it's really well done. But I have to say something here, and I think this might be blesphemy for some people. I don't think Nicholas Cage is all that great an actor. I just don't. I think he's extremely charismatic. I think in his best roles, in his biggest roles, he's extremely watchable. He makes very interesting choices as an actor, very unexpected choices as an actor. So you're always as of you wer like sort of on you know, on on your toes a little bit with him because you really don't know where he's going to go, where he's going to take a scene. And that's a great quality. That is a really great quality. But that doesn't all that up. But you still have to have, you know, I'm not going to trash Nicholas Cage, who is beloved. I find his acting very stiff, very men and not very realistic, so it always it tends to take me out of things. Agree when he's playing total freak shows and can really get his freak on, he's he's much more watchable. But in this one he's like this gum shoe detective and he's doing this sort of Humphrey Bogart kind of thing, and it just it sounds bad to me. It just sounds bad to me. Then there is the issue of when he's doing his Spider Man stuff. Clearly it's all digital and stuntman because you know, it's a full face mask. You can't see him at all, and that becomes a problem because Nicholas Case moves like a man in his sixties when he's not, you know, so it's just noticeable. It's very very not It's sort of like watching Yoda in the in the prequel movies, like suddenly flipping around and spinning all over the place. It just doesn't look right. There's just this disconnect between sixty two or three year old Nicholas Cage and the superhero that's like flipping and bouncing all over the city, and like the two you can't you can't marry them. It becomes way too obvious that we're not looking at Nicholas Cage. We're looking at either a stuntman or a digital creation.
Speaker 2: So that takes me out of it.
Speaker 1: It does have a lot of charm, but I think that's literally the only thing it does have, and sometimes you're gagging on it. There's a way to do these sort of retro stories, especially when you're injecting like fantasy or super heroic elements or science fiction elements into it.
Speaker 2: There's a way to do that.
Speaker 1: Like the old Agent Carter series that was on ABC like ten years ago, was a melding of you know, Marvel and classic nineteen forties adventure dramas.
Speaker 2: You can do it.
Speaker 1: It's possible, and I even think it's possible to do a sort of Spider Noir ish Spider Man nineteen thirties kind of take. But ultimately I think the concept and the casting and the idea there's just too much that the audience I can't speak for it. There's too much for me to buy into. I'm like, all right, I have to accept that there's a Spider Man detective in the nineteen thirties. I have to accept that Nicholas Cage is actually flipping around the city like that, and I don't know the storyline. It's charming, there's a lot of Easter eggs. If you know you're Spider Man continuity, there's a lot of people that pop up names and everything like that. But ultimately it's just I didn't I was not grabbed by it. So that's my take on Spider Noir. I would love to hear of any other nerds out there watched it, finished it, liked it, hate me for saying that Nicholas Cage is a bad after So I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know much about it. Bear watch a little bit of one episode with you, and I felt the same way. I was like, wow, he looks old. Oh and then he's jumping like crazy like jumping around and I'm like, that doesn't work. But it did look beautiful.
Speaker 1: It looks beautiful, and like I said, there's a lot of charm in it, and I actually do like most of the supporting cast, but I just, yeah, I can't buy him in that role, and I don't think the character is very interesting so no, I didn't finish it. Sorry, but it wasn't for me. You finished I Will find You, and I only sat in the background watching that piece of garbage crap, youre crap. At a certain point you watched it, so I'm going to turn the review over you. But at a certain point some character was saying some and it was the most the clumsy, most expositional dialogue, where like I am explaining my relationship to you and our entire history together and recapping what happened in the last three apps. Like it's that kind of Netflix right where they assume that you're not paying attention. There's a lot of us and I just set out loud that this is crap.
Speaker 3: To you.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is and you made a You said it was like a Hallmark Lifetime and actually, like a Hallmark is they are slicker than what we saw here. I understand the comparison because it has that sort of look no offense if you love those Hallmark Lifetime movies, but they're not intellectual films, right, you know, Yeah, it's pure mindless entertainment and it has that sort of feel to it, except it's trying to do sort of a suspenseful story, like we're not talking about like picking out Christmas trees and falling in love, Like there's a suspenseful, right impactful story there, and it's just everything's done in the worst sort of television acting, the worst flattest directing, and then the script is just just people explaining things to each other constantly and saying each other's names. Anyway, I will no no. I mean, if you're starting Sam Worthington and Britt Lauer and it's about a father who was imprisoned for killing his son, but he finds out or suspects that his son is still alive and that he breaks out of jail. This is all in the first episode, so I'm not spoiling anything. But every time I looked up, somebody was doing something so completely out of pocket, like how did you get from being in jail and now you're in a suit and you're like breaking into some mansion.
Speaker 2: And I will give it a shot to pretty much anything you know on Netflix. I'm a Netflix fan, so and I was I'm not surprised that it's number one show now on Netflix because people light you know, it's a.
Speaker 1: Laundry folding show. Yes, for people you know, and there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: With I also thinks all the time. I don't mind silly shows. I don't mind shows that you want just to you. But when the writing is bed, when the plot is bad, this is really really bad. You explain, you know that if father goes to prison because they think he killed his son and turns out he didn't, I'm not spoiling anything. He wants to prove that he didn't. And then they see a picture, you know, and there's a kid in the back in the background, and they so they think now and so they think the kid's alive, and they he gets out of prison and tries you know, it's the whole show is about him trying to prove that he didn't kill his son. The son's still alive and he needs to find the son. So it's an interesting cast. I mean, britt Lauer is amazing and she tries her best, you know, Yeah, but it doesn't work. Sam more than to I don't know another one that's I never thought. I never thought he was good. Uh. Logan Brown gets the worst lines possible. She's she really does.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're a script, but every time I was like, oh god, her lines are horrible.
Speaker 2: She's a cop and it's just bad, bad, bad Malanie Stowe.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know Madeline Stowe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Madeline Stee. I'm sorry she she's great as always, but she's playing the evil mother. You know. It reminded me of Revenge, you know, and Revenge work because he was camped from from from the from.
Speaker 1: This should have been campy. If it had been campy, this would have been a lot more interesting. But everyone's playing it so strong.
Speaker 2: Seriously, you know. They taken this show very seriously, and Revenge was just fun.
Speaker 1: You know, like if Britt Lauer had played this campy or funny, I think she would have had a lot of fun with it. You my little Vntimilia is in it as well. He does look amazing. I will give him that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if nothing else, he looks great. Eight he does, so that's he's that.
Speaker 1: So he looks great. And clothes, I mean, oh my god, like his clothes look really really good on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also like Jonathan Tucker. I always had a thing for him. I think he's hot. Yeah, but anyway, he's got that.
Speaker 1: White tresh look till he's hot white trash.
Speaker 2: See. I do like that. No, I know you do. I do like that type anyway. So the men are hot. If you want to watch watch it for the men sometimes I do. Uh, And but it's just it every now and then I was like shaking my head, like what is going on here? Yeah, because they keep they keep you know, discovering things and things show up, and shows like these are are so terribly written because they come up with the stupid, you know, explanation to justify something that's going on, and you're like why what? Uh. Yeah, anyway, it's a very silly show entertaining. But but no, I'm that's not great.
Speaker 1: Two for two Spidan Noir and I will find you there were thumbs down on both of them. We cannot recommend either one. All right, we will take a short break and then we're going to come back with a show that we actually can recommend. We'll be right back. We're back, uh. And now we're going to before we launch into a I don't want to say a big discussion, but our main discussion, which will be House of the Dragon, we wanted to just take a second and tell you about a show that you probably haven't heard of, that hasn't gotten a lot of fanfare, but it might be worth your time if you're interested. It's a show on HBO Max called Proud and it is a Polish show. And the one thing I will say that might make it hard for people to get into is that it's dubbed.
Speaker 2: And I hate that it's dubbed. I didn't watch it dubbed.
Speaker 1: Oh I watched it.
Speaker 2: No, you must have it automatically set for for it, you know.
Speaker 1: But you know what I was on Wait, wait, wait, I was on my computer watching it and there was no option. No. I watch it on TV and it was oh, okay, Well that's good because now I have to watch it again because it was very hard.
Speaker 2: No, god, no, okay.
Speaker 1: So that's a little helpful hint for you if you just want the subtimee because I would have loved to have listened to people speaking in Polish.
Speaker 2: God, that's so funny. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to watch both episodes and I was like, wow, that's that's kind of off put.
Speaker 2: Now there was no option on my computer to which is a lot. Sometimes it happens on Netflix depending on your saying, it comes automatically dumb and well, you know, anyways.
Speaker 1: Good to know, all right, so scratch everything. I just said, but proud is a I don't think it's necessary. It's it's called an LGBTQ drama, but I'm not entirely sure that that's accurate. It's it's a family drama, it's a it's a drama show, and it's it has queerness in it, and of course the main character is queer. But by the time I got to the second episode, the end of the second episode, in that funeral scene, that scene where they got drunk in the restaurant after the funeral, I was like, this is not very queer. She's yelling at her daughter that she has to go to college, and she runs into her ex and everything, and she's not even the main character. Don't get me wrong, it's a queer show, but I think it manages to avoid a lot of, say, the cliches of what you would expect in a queer show. Let me just do with the setup and then we can talk about it. This is the setup. So this is not a spoiler, but it's about a young twenty something, like early to mid twenty something gay guy in Poland. I'm not sure they named the city. I know it's not Crackow because someone just arrived from Crackou in the second episode. I don't know what city it is, but he is a model. He's a pretty low rent model. He goes on casting calls and everything, and he did a morning TV show where he had to wear a speedo, so he's not doing like high fashion runway work. And he's a hard partier, and he clearly has some addiction issues, and he likes to go out and get laid a lot. In some ways, a very typical twenty something gay guy in an urban center. He has a sister that he's living with and she has a toddler, and spoiler, it happens halfway through the first episode she dies. No, I mean it's the whole premise of the show.
Speaker 2: Premise of the show.
Speaker 1: So he dies, and he is this irresponsible gay twenty something face up. And what makes it sort of much more poignant than simply, you know, a gay guy, a gay fuck up needs to grow up. It's that he and his sister were in the system. They grow up in an orphanage, and in the brief scenes that they have together before she's killed off, they talk about how traumatizing that was, and it's pretty clear that a lot of his issues come from that that he was abandoned by his parents and dropped into an orphanage and it was a terrible experience for him. Anyway, that's the setup for it. I really loved it for a lot of different reasons, but I think the main one was it's not you just expect it's just going to be all hot guys and sex and discothechts. And there's a lot of that. First, not that much though, that's just it. There's not as much of that as I would have expected. It's a lot of him going out into the world and just not being mature enough to handle anything.
Speaker 2: But I did. I really liked that.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of subtlety in the acting. It's not trying to do anything too hard. The lead actor, Ignacia Lists, is great because so charming. He's so like under affected. He keeps it all of it, which I think is very true of his generation, but also true of someone in his situation who would probably not you know, you.
Speaker 2: Just mentioned something very interesting that is very true.
Speaker 3: Is that kind of look that doesn't show yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, but he's got to stand yeah, and you want to shake them and you want to slap them and most of the other characters want to do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Sister try to do that. Yeah, I I'm always fascinated by queer show, international queer shows. I mean, I would call it a queer show, but anyway, it is been released as a as a queer show. It's it's it's one of the most talked about international shows right now. Uh in Europe, everywhere it's it. It's getting a lot of good buzz. And it's a great show. And especially because it comes from Poland. You know, if you watch Poland, Polish shows, Polish movies, it's you know, it's it's a conservative country. Uh So to have a show like that, I think it's fantastic. And I and and the choices you just mentioned that it's not very queer or you know, it's more about family. I wonder if that was deliberate, you know, so that the show could have you know, they could do the show and the show show in Poland, or it's because they just felt like, let's tell let's talk, let's tell a different story here, or maybe both. But I it is very interesting. I love it because it's all about fatherhood and you know, gay fatherhood.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting. I think as an American watching this show to you know, I won't claim that queer people in America have had just we're just enjoying a free ride at the moment. I won't claim that, but you are faced with there's a different attitude in Poland about gay man raising children. It's very clear that the idea of him raising this child is a little strange to some people in a way that it would you know, if it was set in America or even Great Britain, you wouldn't have that plotline. So it's it's kind of nice to have this version of gay life that where they're still fighting for things that we kind of take for granted here in this country. And it's not illegal for him to be a father, but it's much much more difficult.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I mean, he that's probably the whole show because we only have watched two episodes, only two episodes around, that's probably what the show is about. They're going to be about, is him trying to fight to have custody of the.
Speaker 1: Daughter, presumably get his head on straight, no pun intended. You know, he's got a lot of issues.
Speaker 2: He's good, yeah, he I mean he yeah, he does all sorts of things. So so he's going to have to be a little more responsible if he wants to, you know, be in charge of the Little Girl. But I I, like I said, I love these shows because he gives you a little bit of a I don't know, a look into queerness in a different country aside from the United States. I just love every time I see a show in a national show like this, I always make sure that I watch because it's good. It's always good. It's sometimes gives you and perspect him on exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And I have to say the Little Girl, she is a horrible is absolutely adorable.
Speaker 2: It's really well done. It's beautiful. Yeah, to look at it's a great show. It's not a low budget show. It looks expensive, it looks nice.
Speaker 1: And I just think it's a very religiod gay gay dude a side gay male model aside, it's actually a very relatable story in a lot of way. It's about family and drama and about your issues, and it's about letting the people around you down and whether or not you can figure out a way to stop doing that.
Speaker 2: I think, I think, if nothing else, that's the story here, especially if you were single, if you're not married, if you're not thinking of having kids, to be in that situation where you know, your life is completely turned upside down, you know, because of a certain you know, because of something that happened to you or your family. So I think it's interesting how you deal with it, you know, and how that changed your life. So, if nothing else, that's a show about that.
Speaker 1: Agreed. All right, let's talk a little bit about House of the Dragon. Yes, this is probably going to go a little bit longer than our other topics. Let me first say this. I was not into it, and we've talked. We did the first two seasons of the show. We we recapped them here on the podcast. We did some costume stuff early on. But this goes back to my often stated point about modern television and the expectations that people are going to wait two years in between seasons for these extremely complicated storylines.
Speaker 2: You barely remember anything.
Speaker 1: And I with this time around, I was like, yeah, I'm gonna watch it, and I'm going to regret if I don't watch it. But I'm like, I'm not doing any freaking homework. I'm not doing homework. And in fact, to me, this goes it's sort of hand in hand with how you know when you're reviewing or talking about a show or a movie that has been adapted from a book. I don't give a shit about the book. We're going to review the TV show. We're going to talk about whether the TV show. You know that sort of thing. It's the same thing here where if I have to go and do for five minutes of research or I have to watch some video recapping the previous season in order to understand what's happening in this episode, that is a failure as a television show.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think. I think if you're a fan of the books, great because you have all these knowledge, right you understand all these characters, the history and everything, especially because this is very much true with this story that there's a lot of history. The second season was all about their history, right Uh, and then now we have all these battles going on. But if you if you haven't read the book, you are any show out there. I think I think you should be able to enjoy a show even if you.
Speaker 1: Stand on it. Yeah, I agree, And it's the same thing an episode of television. I realized that you have to you have to know if you're in the third season of a serialized drama, you have to know everything that happened before, But I shouldn't have to do research to figure out what happened before. Having said all of that, because that was my attitude going into it, while I was watching this first episode, I was I had to begrudgingly say, you know what, they're really doing a very very good job of clearly getting you back into the story. I can't remember every nu once and every time a character popped up, I was like, oh yeah, what's their story again, like uh huh. And some of that I really don't remember. Because that's the thing about House of the Dragon. Massive cast, massive cast, And I know Game of Thrones also had a massive cast, but I feel like I feel like Game of Thrones slowly expanded its cast, whereas with this one, you were thrown everybody everybody like in the first You know, Game.
Speaker 2: Of Thrones did a very good job introducing the characters over time. Because I never read the books and I was totally fine with what I was watching. You know, I didn't need anything else. Uh here, I feel like I need I need a little bit more information. But Game of Thrones it just went you know, slowly introducing everybody, and it was fine. Here, I don't know, I feel like I need a little more like backstory.
Speaker 1: When they cut to the what are they called, the dragon Seeds, the three guys who yeah, yeah, they cut to them, and I'm like, oh, right, right, what are their stories again? Like and I know, like, for instance, the blonde guy, Hugh Hammer, who I actually think that guy's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Oh he is gorgeous.
Speaker 1: They cut to him at one point, and then there was some reference to his background. I'm like, I I think there was an episode about him, but I really don't remember it. Like, and that's the sort of stuff where I'm like, well, if the show can figure out a way to convey this information to me, fine, But I Am not running off to Wikipedia or doing anything like that. Because this is the other thing I want to say before we get into the episode, which is that app su are a Night of the Seven Kingdoms premiered earlier this year, which was the third West Ross or George R. R. Martin adaptation, and unlike the first two, House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones, the whole vibe of that show is very different. It's a lot lighter, the stakes are a lot less serious. There are very likable characters. The lead character is just someone you would fall in love with. And it was a much gentler take on this kind of story, and I loved it. And I was like, I don't know if I want to go back into all this dragony, incesty, bullshit. These people are awful, and I have to admit that will be for me going forward with this show. I have not soured on this show, and when we come back from the break, I want to talk about why I haven't soured from this show. But I have to admit i'd take a much more you need to impress me kind of stance with it. Need to get this exactly right, because otherwise I don't know how invested I am in this anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I've I've read a lot of criticism of the show about trying to compromise between the book, the insane history of the book of all these characters, many many, many details, and and and entertaining an interesting TV show, right, and it's it's hard, it's it's difficult, and and make some of these people likable. That's the other thing people were talking about, like because they're horrible in the book, and you know it's hard to do.
Speaker 1: That's something that is my main complaint about where the show is right now, Why don't we take a break and we'll get into it right right, Okay, we'll be right back. We're back, and we're diving into House of the Dragon. Uh, first episode of season three and going to your likable point that you said before the break. This something where I mean, I wrestle with this sometimes because I think the modern complaint about likable characters is is it can be kind of childish, Like I agree, there are you know, I don't have to love characters, Lear King Lear, you know, like you don't need to love the people that it's you can do great drama about terrible people. My issue with this show is not that there's no one likable in the show, although it does. It does drag sometimes because it's like what I mean, when we were watching Jasarah's sink into the ocean at the end of this episode, I was like, what the fuck man, everybody's so goddamn stupid in this show.
Speaker 2: They're either stupid or they're evil or both, and that that.
Speaker 1: Can be I guess My point is there's no fun, asshole there's no fun asshole on this show, is there?
Speaker 2: There? Really isn't. Everyone is just sneeringly.
Speaker 1: Awful or stupid or delusional. And this is something I want to get into. Allison. I think I hate that character the most out of all of them, because the show insists on trying to give her nuance and it's like, no, I'm sorry the one tear rolling down her face as her fucked up son tries to make out with her, and I'm like, lady, this is a result of twenty five years of you making horrible, horrible decisions for yourself and for your family, and I'm supposed to feel sorry for you that all of your monster children are making your life hell. And she's like worried about whether her plan is going to worry. I'm like, you're horrible. If the show would just let and that's the thing, like let one of them be evil bitch, like awful, horrible bitch. But instead it's like, well, let's find nuance, right, And then you have ray Nira, who I mean, I don't think.
Speaker 2: She's particularly likable either.
Speaker 1: That's not a problem. My problem with Rhanira isn't so much that she the show tries to make her more new ones than she is. Is that the show doesn't seem to want to unpack how goddamn stupid she is, like, come on, you're stupid. At the point where she's like, we're just gonna fly in and take over, and her whole counsel is like, no, that's a terrible life, she's like, no, no, it'll be great, And I'm like, why am I watching this?
Speaker 2: Moral? But if you die? Why am I watching you? You're so stupid?
Speaker 1: This is my problem. It's not I don't need you to be likable. I need you to be entertaining. And you're stupid and you're evil, and neither one of you are fun to watch.
Speaker 2: It's a shame because these are two main characters the whole story rests on, right, and they're female characters, which, you know, you would want female characters to be a little more a little stronger than that, with you know, with a little more power than that. But it feels like they they kind of know what they want, but they always rely on the man of the show.
Speaker 1: You know, that's the point.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's part of the book, Maybe that's part of the story. You know, that's how it is. Uh, But at the same time, I don't know, I feel like they could be a little more manipulative, I don't know, in a in a more powerful way. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean like you certainly saw that on Game of Thrones. You it was women working within the same system, right, who were smarter about wielding power than these two women, who are actually two of the most powerful women in wester Rows. Why are you two such fuck ups? Why are you so dumb? Why do you get caught up in these brands that everyone around you was like, no, don't do that, that would be stupid. That's my problem with the show. It's not it's not that it's unlikable people doing terrible things. It's that it's it's it's uninteresting people doing dumb things.
Speaker 2: That's really it.
Speaker 1: It's uninteresting people doing some things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it always making bad decisions in general wage and you feel like you, you know, and it's a little disappointed because you' I feel like they're smarter than that. As character, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I do want to say, for instance, because I brought up the dragon seeds, there is clearly an attempt to make, especially a character like Olf sort of humorous and funny and this roguish sort of asshole, and I have no problem with that. In fact, I would want more of that. I also like she was only in it briefly this episode. Alice Rivers, who plays the Witch, Oh right, right, I like that's another character who's like quirky and weird and kind of entertaining to what like, if you give me those characters, I'm fine, you give me, I'd listen. I really like Matt Smith. I was a huge fan of his doctor who and I actually I don't hate this character or this portrayal of this character. He's just very one note. You can't do anything with that character except be a sneering, violent asshole all the time.
Speaker 2: That's all he is, and that's all he is, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Well, I again, Game Thrones did a better job. Game of Thrones was full of assholes and bitches, and it did a better job of making all of those assholes and bitches entertaining to watch. You didn't have to root for them, you didn't have to like them, but you couldn't wait to see what they were going to do next. And I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I was going to going into it because it's so well written and well directed and well acted, but the story, Like, I ultimately I don't think you can dress up this story any more than they have, Like that's it. This is the story. Dumbass, inbred people who are evil fighting over something that you know no one would want them to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because a lot of the fans of the book loved the battle, of course, because they were waiting for it and it was beautiful. I mean, it was insane, and the fact they were saying why didn't they have it into the second season but apparently becasing and what they didn't have the budget for it. It didn't have the budget.
Speaker 1: It was a strange way to open a season because you were plunged right into all these storylines immediately and then suddenly there's a big battle. It really was kind of that would have been a great season finale to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they didn't have the budget. Apparently they had to wait until season three. But I do enjoy like Lorid Corrus the whole you know, fighting with with what's her name, Schiroco Lohar.
Speaker 1: That's another one, who Abigail Thorne, who is awesome. Yeah, give me characters like that, Like, she's clearly not a likable person, she's clearly not an ethical person. I don't have to root for her, but I don't know what the hell she's going to do next. And that's the kind of stuff I want to see on this show. Of course, they killed her off, but right they yah, yeah, yeah, so we'll see. It's just, it's all, it's constantly watching idiots do idiotic like just Sarah's just Sarah's sinking into the ocean at the end, and I'm like, am I supposed to be upset that he died? I'm more upset than is his dragon died. But that's actually upsetting when you watch that him, I don't give a ship. You're an idiot. You're just an idiot. You're an in Well he's actually not inbread.
Speaker 2: They are mostly idiot.
Speaker 1: It's well, no one's standing on principal, no one's fighting for a cause you're all just inbred idiots and they There.
Speaker 2: Was also a lot of talk about Rain and the dragon that she was not prepared.
Speaker 1: To Again, yeah, I get it, she's young, but also, you you dumb ass, you dumbs you flew that thing, that nuclear weapon that you can't control roughly into a.
Speaker 2: Battle, and he was like killing everybody.
Speaker 1: What I'm like, oh, poor Rhina, I'm supposed to feel sorry.
Speaker 2: For that, you know, apparently in the book is somebody else writing, Yeah, he's a more interesting character, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Matt Damon's character sleeps with her, but I know in this version she's his daughter, but of course that wants pop him from sleeping wether. So who knows.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 1: Let me think we did the dragon Seeds. We did well, there's a whole story right near Allison's oh oh agon and Laris fleeing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes again again.
Speaker 1: All he had to do was bend the knee and they would have been fine, but that idiot quick knew it. And I'm like, all right, well, please someone behead this morn, Please take his head off. Having said that, I do think those two are actually kind of entertaining to watch. And I have no idea where this stuff is going. I did read all of the Wikipedia entries on these characters and this storyline two years ago when the show first came out, and I have a general sense of where things wind up, but specific characters, no, I don't know where they're going to wind up. You know, so I don't know what's happening with those two. But there are two characters. I'm like, all right, fine, I'm fine with seeing where you guys take this.
Speaker 2: And there's a king who fled very I mean, that's what I'm talking about. That's the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the one I think aimon the one who's declaring himself king. Now, I think that guy's great. Iwin Mitchell Ewan Mitchell the actor, and he's clearly doing a riff on Matt Smith.
Speaker 2: Like, but that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's well, you're almost identical characters. You're literally almost identical, and your performances are exactly the same. So I'm like, you know, I get it right, you're in bred family and so you're you know, you all kind of look alike an act alike. But he's not one of my faves, right, and not because he's evil. Same thing with uh, Sir Christen Cole Fabian Frankel. I think they made that guy such an asshole that there's I'm like, well, why am I watching you? And again this comes down to I don't need you to be likable. I need you to be funny or entertaining or wild or something, and he's just this sour in celt who seems to hate women, and they gave him sword.
Speaker 2: I think that's what's a show missing. Like Game of Thrones, I remember, you had the battles, you had the fights and families and all that, but you also had some humor, you know, constantly, constantly lines and some just high adventure, just fun, adventurous stuff. But you need a break every now and then. It can't be just you know, very much by the book as it feels like that. But they are taking some I don't know, they're they're not following the book entirely. There's sometimes they're they're going and doing something different. That's what I that's my understanding. So we'll see. I as you said, I want to watch the show. I haven't read the books. I mean, if you read the books, that great. I'm actually jealous of the people who read the book. But I don't feel like I have to read the books to enjoy a show. I just want to enjoy it. I'm in it.
Speaker 1: Like I said, it's well act. That cast is. It's a really good cast, even if I don't think the writing gives them as much to do as I would like. It's beautifully directed, and there is some incredible dialogue in it, so there's quality all throughout this show. But I think the story itself, it's just it's flawed. Like there's only so much you can do with a story like That's you know, George R. R. And Martin wrote these stories self contained. You read them all and you were done two weeks later or whoever long it took you. But to drag a story like this out over years and years and years to a television series, it's kind of relentless and numbing.
Speaker 2: I think it's a challenge to water down something and then stretch stretch it out for so long.
Speaker 1: This story is not that complicated, it's hard to do. And like I said, when Alison was, you know, walking into the Throne room trying to figure out what she was going to do, and I'm like, yeah, I don't care because you're so dumb. You're so dumb. Every decision you have made was either dumb or evil, and just years of watch you and trying to make you much more interesting or new ones and you're not. You want power for yourself and for your family. Raniera wants power for herself and for her family.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: You can't make it more interesting than that. Anyway, I'm in it. I'm in it for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: If if this season goes south for whatever reason, if like then I might not come back to it, because, like I said, I'm only I'm not hanging on by a thread. But I am hanging on and we'll see. I just think Night of the Seven Kingdoms showed me a different way of doing things.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the construction is starting up next story, Yes, so we should probably wrap things up. We will be back tomorrow. We're watching The Bride, very excited for that for the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. And we'll be back next week with more on the next episode of House of the Dragon. Whatever else cross our eyes or crosses our desk, we'll be I screwed it up, Okay, love you mean it, but ba