Speaker 1: Maybe the most important thing about the movie Mission Impossible. The final reckoning has been the press tour leading up to this movie that has been all about Tom Cruise is love not only for movie going but movie theater popcorn.
Speaker 2: Oh I was not aware of this. Well that's good to hear because him and I share that passion.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you miss it. It's been all over social media him talking to movie theater employees just shoveling down popcorn. Or there was a screening where he walked by someone he was holding a microphone about to go on stage, and he looked over at someone in the audience and he goes, I already finish your popcorn. And you might think that he's calling the man out for eating an entire large popcorn in fifteen twenty minutes. I think he was impressed.
Speaker 2: No, totally agree. As a man who constantly is pushing the human body to its limits and testing it, I think finishing a large popcorn before the movie is quite impressive. I never finished my popcorn. Usually get a medium because I'm realistic these days, and I still don't finish the popcorn. But you kind of get the medium knowing that you really just want the small. But at least in the medium, you're gonna get like seventy five percent good popcorn, and that final twenty five percent is not really edible anyways. You know, it's just how popcorn bags work. I also think goo it's an absolute fucking travesty that it is not the industry standard to layer popcorn butter. When you are served popcorn. You can ask sounds butter, sure, But if I'm putting butter on my popcorn, I can't get all the butter down into the nooks and crannies of it's a full bag. You know, we've seen the whole straw method and whatnot. I just think if you're serving it freshly to me and I ask for butter, fucking layer the goddamn butter.
Speaker 1: Mac always says, I'll have some butter with a side of popcorn.
Speaker 2: I mean, people like movie theater popcorn because they like the movie theater butter that goes hand at hand.
Speaker 1: I have given up popcorn. It's difficult going to the movies, and I'm like, what if I just get some now? But I know that if I start eating it again, I'm gonna get it every single time. I'm gonna get a large. I'm gonna refill that large. I would if they had a trought, I'd ask for a trought.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm like fifty to fifty these days. When I when I get popcorn depends what time of day I'm seeing the movie. Usually, if we go to the screenings, I don't get popcorn because I don't know why that's the time I should get Popcorncuse I'm not spending money on the ticket.
Speaker 1: You're making money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, that's the whole thing. I want to be in the green now.
Speaker 1: When I went to see this movie last night, I had just eaten a chicken Caesar wrap in my car and I needed something to wash it down. I needed a beverage, if you will. Plus it's a seven hour movie, so I knew i'd be thirsty. So I went to the concession stand and I got myself a large drink, being like, okay, it's a long movie. It's only two dollars more than the small ROI spend money, make money. I turn around to fill it up, thinking that I could get some nice diet doctor Pepper, because I saw doctor Pepper on there. No the only diet option on there was diet pepsi and diet pepsi is trash?
Speaker 2: Was it one of those machines with the bubbles when you can select? Yeah? So, I mean, I guess you're taking a chance to because you don't know what they're, what's in stock and what's not. I can't I don't want bubble gut while I'm watching a movie. I can't do soda during a movie. I'm a strictly water during a movie. Guy one, good three?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just three. King of Queen mill Street Entertainment.
Speaker 2: I'm Goo and I'm.
Speaker 1: Mac, and we are the Mac and Goo program. Mac has yet to ask me why I am wearing sunglasses.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's I think it's pretty obvious.
Speaker 1: Oh why what do you think?
Speaker 2: You're wearing a top gun Maverick shirt as well, in honor of our Lord and savior Thomas Cruz.
Speaker 1: Well that's what the movie is. Brace yourself ready for this?
Speaker 2: Oh what happened to you? Sty nice?
Speaker 1: Do you find the sunglasses more distracting or my zombie eye more distracting.
Speaker 2: Now that you poisoned it out. I get if you didn't point it out. I want to just stop, maybe camera quality or something. But now I can.
Speaker 1: It's half the size of my other eye.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice it last night.
Speaker 1: I started to feel it on Wednesday. Yesterday I woke up and it was swollen shut. I did enough hot water compressions on it to really ease it up by last night, and this morning it's even worse.
Speaker 2: Good have you honest? I don't really know what a sty is.
Speaker 1: It's not conjuncti vitis. I haven't had any discharge, no pus, no, no, it just hurts a lot.
Speaker 2: Do all eye things rhyme with eye? Is that why it's called.
Speaker 1: That's why it's called a sty. So the only reason why I think these sunglasses are distracting, and this is great podcasting, great visual addition to the podcast. I also, I hate looking at myself right now with the stye, So I'm gonna put these back on. All right, Sure, I have this spaghett in my eye from the ring light. There is no winning in this situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean you just gonna fight through. That's what you know. Our Lonsavid Tom Cruise really appreciate you for fighting through.
Speaker 1: What if I lean my head back like Paul Pierce when he's on Fox Sports one when he.
Speaker 2: Talks always looking at the ceiling.
Speaker 1: Uh where his inspiration comes from?
Speaker 2: What you say? We are discussing the latest in the Mission Impossible series, Mission Impossible, the Final Reckoning.
Speaker 1: You didn't say greatest.
Speaker 2: I purposefully did not say greatest.
Speaker 1: You know what it is, the latest and eightest.
Speaker 2: I'm also curious if it really is a final part of this series. I sort of hope so at this point eight Movies is playing with all the.
Speaker 1: Pomp and circumstance and the and the storytelling that was in this one, I think we have to move.
Speaker 2: On once again, the eighth entry into the Mission Impossible series. Really, this is the second part of a two parter Dead Reckoning that's supposed to be Dead Reckoning Part two. They changed it to five.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just sort of distance itself from Dead Reckoning, which didn't make a ton of money because it got Barbenheimern and so it pushed off from there. GOO reportedly this movie had a four hundred million dollar punchit. That is a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think if you do bring this franchise back and hopefully they take some time off of it and maybe you replace the pieces around it. Even if maybe you keep Cruise in there as someone that isn't you know, that isn't God. Maybe you cut the budget in half and you go a little smaller scale back to basics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally agree. However, this movie is projected to make between one hundred and twenty five and one hundred and fifty million domestically this weekend. Are you sure?
Speaker 1: I was looking at the box Office Mojo and it was saying seventy to eighty.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be well below it's expected at least from like two or three days.
Speaker 1: Is this is about to get stitched?
Speaker 2: Which will be well, now you're throwing that number at means so Dead Reckoning only made one hundred and seventy two domestically, massive disappointment in that respect. It was still reviewed really well. People just didn't see it as much as they thought because of Barbie and Opperenheimer. This movie was projected to make between one twenty five and more fifty. Maybe Stitch is cutting.
Speaker 1: Into that different audience, but still, but it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Have to make a lot of money to get that budget and advertising budget back right. We're talking five hundred six hundred million. This is going to have to get to I think the last movie got to it might have got to five hundred.
Speaker 1: But I think it was a round five, either a tick below or a tick b of.
Speaker 2: But that last movie's budget was like two.
Speaker 1: No, I think it was also close to four. It was a lot.
Speaker 2: No, it was under three. I looked it up. Yeah, it was under three.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: But point being this is this was the second part to that. So there's sort of one and the same. We are at a point now basically starting with Mission Possible three. More so with four, they started carrying over more characters and more plot points. There's been somewhat of an overarching theme through these last four or.
Speaker 1: Five, right, And you can tell from the first half an hour of this one because even before they show the title card, there is roughly a half an hour of I won't even call it story, it's just things that are happening. They start hitting the ground running, which makes sense in a Tom Cruise movie. The man loves to run. How fast do you think he runs twenty eight miles an hour? Tom take the car. No, but this movie starts with like almost no storytelling. It's just it picks up two months after what happened in the last movie, and it's just right into a scene.
Speaker 2: So part of the problem is by renaming the movie and separating themselves from Dead Recording Part one and this no longer being Deadrecorting Part two being the Final Reckoning, they had to catch some people up, you know, because this is a continuation of that story. There was a cliff at the end of that movie to be continued, and so part of this movie's problem at the beginning was catching people up on the story from the last movie.
Speaker 1: Also, I think an issue with this movie is that I don't know if they felt like people hadn't seen the prior movies, so they had to do constant flashbacks and reminders of who people were throughout the entire movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also thematically, a lot of what's going on in decision making and whatnot is like talking about Ethan Hunt's pass and everything.
Speaker 1: This making or flipping a coin.
Speaker 2: So I didn't really penalize that for that, especially knowing this should be the final Tom Cruise entry, Like I'm okay with that sort of shit, Like eight movies in like what we can't pretend we're not gonna like be you know, look back on things with rose colored glasses. So I understand why the movie did that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to spoil anything early, but all the people that he had wronged in the past saying thank you for doing that. You actually fixed my life by doing that. That every single one of those.
Speaker 2: This is a PG thirteen, which maybe is I like these movies is are. I don't know if it would change things, but it is interesting that they keep on PG.
Speaker 1: I think it changed one thing. There was one scene where I think they shot something that they would have kept if it was are but because it was captured. Yes, they kept it on Haley Atwell's face as opposed to showing Tom cruise with a hammer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I would have been intrigued as to what that scene would have looked like.
Speaker 1: Because you don't like her reaction to it. Oh May, she's doing British reactions.
Speaker 2: To melon uh go. PG thirteen Action adventure, thriller, subgenres, action, epic, adventure, epic and spy. We have sort of gotten away from the spy espionage stuff these lasts.
Speaker 1: That's my issue with it. That's my biggest.
Speaker 2: It's not as spy and espionage e as the prior ones, the prior to three to these ones, I mean, the essence of the series is the espionage and spy stuff, and these last two we've certainly got away from that because because it's become an Ethan Hunt story and now it's things centering around Ethan Hunt, which they were anyways, but there was still sweet spy and espionage stuff leading up until these last two.
Speaker 1: I think it's a very, very similar to what they did with John McClain and Diehard, where in the first movie he's just a small time cop and he's you know, using his his cunning and his wit to take down these terrorists, but then by the end of that series, he is a superhero. By the end of this series, by the end of these eight movies, Tom Cruise, Ethan Hunt is God.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's fair, that's apt. But also, to be fair, these movies in the series is way better than the time.
Speaker 1: I'm not arguing that they are better. I'm saying the way that the character has evolved through these stories, he is now God and people speak to him like he is God.
Speaker 2: This movie has a run time of one hundred and sixty nine minutes encroaches upawn three hours long. To its credit, it doesn't feel like that. I thought it was gonna feel like it was getting the three hours, but I didn't check my phone once. I thought, once we were in it and it was going, it was a little clucky get the start, like you said, but once where you're in it, I thought it was oddly a breeze.
Speaker 1: I thought the entire thing was really long. There's two great action pieces in here. One of the action pieces is spliced with another action piece, but I really enjoyed those. Every piece of the build up to it I thought was entirely clunky and overly serious.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'll talk about people's lives here, goo.
Speaker 1: I'm aware, but in the past they at least had some like fun banter going back and forth, or there was at least like a wink and a nod or a little cheeky if you will.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the end. We'll talking about the end of the world, talk about armageddon.
Speaker 1: Right, And I'm not a huge fan of like world ending things and us relying on one man to save us.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing he could do in the eighth movie. No, speaking of all eight movies on Roddy T's this says eighty percent from the critics, ninety three percent from the audience. That is the lowest critics score since Mission Impossible three. However, still a little bit above that, and we have a really interesting thing going on here with these movies. On Metacritic, a sixty eight, again the lowest critics score since Mission Impossible three. So the first Mission Impossible received a fifty nine, the second of fifty nine. This is critics scores here. The first Mission Impossible became like instantly underrated. Critics apparently just didn't get it. They didn't care for it. That movie's really good and sort of kicked off a lot of copycats in this genre. The second one is not great. I understand the fifty nine. It's not rewatchable either. The third one a sixty six. I do feel like this movie is as much in the same realm as that one. That movie has the great Philip Seymour Hoffman awesome performance. It also introduces Michelle Monahan as his wife Julia and Simon Pegg as Benji, so it starts picking up on reoccurring characters and themes. I think it all gets kicked up A notching Ghost Protocol that was twenty eleven. That gets a seventy three on Metacritic, Brad Bird directing, and to me, this is where they start, Like I Ghost Protocol and Roague Nation, back to back movies, the fourth and fifth movies. I think those are the two best movies in the series. Those capture. What I think you're talking about is that tongue in cheek. You know, we're having a little fun.
Speaker 1: They're also doing movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we're still doing the spy espionage shit. A lot of people say Fallout twenty eighteen is the best mission impossible movie. It might be like the most action ful and like technically sound as far as movie making goes. It's not nearly my favorite, though, I'm okay putting it in the tier with Ghost Protocol and Road Nation. And then we have Dead Reckoning from two years ago that got an eighty one. Fall It got an eighty seven, by the way Metacritics, so critics fucking love that. Critics. I think we're late to this series and they were trying to make up for it, as we've seen so many times in the past. So to me, four, five, and six are like head and shoulders above the rest, Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation of Fallout, Dead Reckoning. Honestly, might be in a tier in itself. It's better than this movie, but it's not nearly as good as the three I just mentioned. And then clearly Mission Impossible two is at the bottom of the barrel. So you might have the original Mission Impossible three and this movie all on at one tier, then Dead Reckoning and then Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation of Fallout in its own tier. It's an odd tier system.
Speaker 1: Not to tip my hot dog hand, I would have this as one of the lower Mission Impossibles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's definitely in the bottom four, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: If we were tiering, it would be on the bottom tier for me.
Speaker 2: But in the Mission Impossible two tier, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't care for this.
Speaker 2: Once again, Brad Bird directed Ghost Protocol, which started a lot of what these last four movies have picked up on, or three movies I shop for. I've getting confused. Now. McQuary has been directing this series since Rogue Nation twenty fifteen, and it's really where he's made his mark and really where he's become, you know, not quite an A list director, but I think he's up there and talking about some of the greats of today. Jeremy Renners' character is also introducing ghost Protocol, and it seemed like they were planning to hand off the series to his character. He was basically an Ethan hunt Light and then Tom Cruise is Agels, so they kept Tom Cruise around good. This movie is written by Eric Jendronsen and Christopher mcquery. The only thing you would know Jendronsen from Jendersen is the previous Mission Impossible, the one from two years ago. McQuary goes all the way back to the usual suspects. He's a writer there, The Way of the Gun, Valkyrie, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow. There's a theme amongst these movies, and the theme is Tom Cruise, the Mummy. He wrote Top Gun, Maverick, and he wrote all of these Mission Impossible movies since Rogue Nation. So he started as a writer, became a director, but his only directed Tom Cruise things outside of the Way of the Gun. So it's a very very interesting situation. KU upcoming writing credit for Christopher McQuary. I thought this was interesting to note. He is the writer on the untitled Tom Cruise SpaceX project being directed by Doug Lyman. Synopsis for this scu Tom Cruise and Doug Lymon travel far beyond Earth to film the first ever Hollywood motion picture in outer space. I'm gonna need to see what that's all about. That is ambitious, to say the least, and.
Speaker 1: I'm sure most of the dialogue is other characters stroking Tom Cruise's ego.
Speaker 2: Of course, this whole film series is based on the television series by Bruce Geller that was from nineteen sixty six to nineteen seventy three, again directed by mcquery. He's also got two movies upcoming that he's directing, Broadswording Gauntlet. One of them scar stars Tom Cruise and Scar Joe, so that might be pretty good. I forget what the other one is about. Synopsis GW of this movie, Ethan Hunt and the IMF team race against time to find the Entity, a rogue artificial intelligence that can destroy mankind. This is the same story, same theme that we picked up on in the prior movie, and I think that's what makes these last two movies a step below for sure the previous three. Is we're dealing with this like AI cyber threat, which just nearly isn't as interesting as like a human in human issues. So that's definitely a knock up against him. Good. This movie stars Tom Cruise, of course, as Ethan Hunt Haley atwell as Grace she debuted in the last one. Ving Raims is Luther Stickele, who I think is the only other actor that's been in all eight of these. Simon peg has Benji done. Asi Morales is Gabriel. We saw him in the last one. PM Clementiefe as Paris. We saw her in the last one. I thought she was much better in this one.
Speaker 1: Oh she did all of her own stunts too, I think did she?
Speaker 2: She was actually really great in this. Henry Zernie is Kittrich. We've seen him in a few of these. Angela Bassett as President eric A Sloan, We've seen her in a few. Shay Wigham as Briggs, we've seen him. We see Holt mclanny as Serling. He's like one of the generals or President's right hand man. Jane mctears Walters same, Nick Offerman General Sidney Hannah Wattingham as Admiral Neely. She plays with American accents. Yeah, you like that pretty good.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm always I think the Brits are better at doing the American accents. Then we all at dealing the British wounds.
Speaker 2: Totally agree. It does seem, however, like they do end up doing more like California Valley girl type accents, but they're better than we are.
Speaker 1: See almost like she spoke out of the bottom of her jaw to like do her lines. Can you do a British accent? Where do you go? Do you go to Liverpool? Pep Cherryow, Dan Crappetts, good stuff.
Speaker 2: I just yell, I just stack it up at octab Yeah. Uh Tremble Tillman as Captain bloodsoe hell yeah right, yeah, we'll get to him in a minute. Greg Tarzan Davis incredible name is Degas de Goas.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you could do that.
Speaker 2: He's he Brigs, his right hand man, eventually is on Ethan's team, and then Goo reprising his role for the first movie. I love this, Ralph Saxony.
Speaker 1: I hated it. I hated it so much. I hated it so much. It was great because it was another one of thank you.
Speaker 2: I loved it. Shut up, I loved it.
Speaker 1: I'm dead serious right now. I didn't know that you could name someone Tarzan.
Speaker 2: Kind of you'll be going to the courthouse change raftis middle.
Speaker 1: Name Amazing Mac. Yeah, before we get into any spoilers, before we get into the gauntlet, I do want to say that, like, there are several points in this movie that reminded me of the audio commentary of Armageddon where Ben Affleck asks why would you teach drillers how to be astronauts as opposed to astronauts how to drill? Because you have Tom Cruise doing these odd jobs where he's working with experts in the field, I feel like they could have gotten it done way way quicker and safer. But Cruise is like, Nah, Well, the whole.
Speaker 2: Point is Ethan Hunt is expendable. The other people are. That's why.
Speaker 1: To be fair, everyone's expendable.
Speaker 2: Well, in this scenario that the world is ending, I suppose so, But the premise is that he's expendable. That's why he's doing all this shit and the other people aren't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you are dealing with world class divers that are right there, like the best of the best, the greatest semen around. They know how to and they were teaching him how to do it. Why not just have them do it?
Speaker 2: Because Tom Cruise, Ethan Hunt is expendable, and that mission was impossible.
Speaker 1: Movie. Oh when they said when they said the title of the movie in this I almost clapped.
Speaker 2: I was so close said it like three times. I know they needed to say things. Here's my biggest crape of these last few movies. Not saying things are impossible enough. They should be like this mission is impossible.
Speaker 1: But they also they repeated this same things in these movies over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the dialogue wasn't great, admittedly, go I also felt like and it was trending this way. Anyways, these last couple in the first five, let's say first, Yeah, I'll say the first five they are more streamlined, less video gamey where you have to do this just to do this, And there was some of that, but it was more spy espionage and less Indiana Jones going to a temple and getting this thing so we can do another thing. These last couple really felt like Indiana Jones movies to a certain degree, especially this one, like he's got to go do this task so that he can go do this other task, and it's like it just felt less spy. Like I love these movies because of that spy espionage shit, the same way I love the Boorn movies like that aspect of it is what to me separates it from other action movies recently, these last three really, including Fallout. As much as great as that movie is, they're not the same as the original as it was originally intended. And that's because, you know, you can only tell so many stories with the same characters. So I don't love that, And that's why I think these last two or three have been a step below Ghost Protocol and Roade Nation. For me, it's just not as the stories aren't as fun.
Speaker 1: They're not fun.
Speaker 2: They're just not as fun when they're like when Tom Cruise is running hiding from a government, when like the government's actively working for him. It's just not as fun, you know.
Speaker 1: And everyone the entire time is like, you, son of a bitch, you're gonna backstab us, but there's no one else in the world that can do it, so we're gonna have to put our trust in your hands.
Speaker 2: At least the last movie had a little bit more of him running from government agency. This one there was like really none of that.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm I might take all my time and just accept my YouTube copyright strikes, and I want to mix him in the ocean with Donkey Kong's aquatic ambiance.
Speaker 2: Oh cake by the ocean.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's aquatic, Tom Beyonce, I know.
Speaker 2: But that's what I thought. We'll get to that in the spoilers.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness for so long once again, all the divers telling him you need to do this or you're gonna die. Tom's like, yep, I'm fine, to be fair.
Speaker 2: The fifteen minutes of the submarine were fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: And I'm not even so like, let's go to the gauntlet here. Yeah, I wouldn't even call that scene fun. I love that scene, but like heart rate fun factor wise none, there is zero fun in this.
Speaker 2: It was skilly.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even say scaley well, it was.
Speaker 2: It was like heart racing because thinking about being in a submarine that is on the ocean floor five hundred feet five hundred feet below an ice capped surface, it's downright fucking terrifying. That's skilly. I don't want to do that. But then like him, like having to traverse through the submarine that's twisting and turning, that was awesome, edge of your seat type of stuff. The problem is that was the only real part the movie where you felt like you were on the edge of the seat, at least for me. Fun factor wise, this movie has fun, but it's not like it's a victim of its own franchise, right this movie franchise has been very fun in the past, and this movie's not very fun.
Speaker 1: Every scene where Tom Cruise meets a new person, the person's like, you want me to trust you, and then within three minutes they're like, ah, this guy.
Speaker 2: Well, like in the past movies too, people constantly ripping masks off, you know, we only get that once in this movie. Like again, less of that spy Espa.
Speaker 1: I get my best laughs when people pull masks off.
Speaker 2: It's the best. Yeah, it's the best. Like and it's just it's part of this It's what makes this series, this series, And like this movie really isn't that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, satisfactor for it being the final I'm not satisfied.
Speaker 2: I was half satisfied. I could have been more satisfied. I could have been more annoyed. I was half half satisfied.
Speaker 1: Borometer, I was really bored until we got into the submarine.
Speaker 2: I wasn't really bored, to be honest. I thought it did enough to keep my interest going.
Speaker 1: Awkwater World if not for the submarine. So like, this looks really good. Obviously, these movies all look amazing. Yeah, I think I have more fun with awkward worlds. What the fuck is water World?
Speaker 2: This does become a bit water World dish when we get up to the polarized cap stare sadly sadly go And I hate to admit this water World is gonna be more rewatchable than this movie.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh my god, you're not gonna be like, oh, I have five hours to watch a movie right now, I'm gonna watch.
Speaker 2: Let me pick the fifth best mission impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like water World's better? What do you want?
Speaker 2: This might be the knife one? Did I count? Run?
Speaker 1: Count again?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: This is the Okay, there we go. We would have had to title the pole episode over again Halloween. Will this wait over time? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think people are really gonna dissect this movie and kind of go into just how cheesy and over the top it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because it should be the last movie in the series, and I think people are gonna be a little more forgiving in that rap respect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are always for giving up the last movies.
Speaker 2: You're right, well, in this series, I think so. I mean it's a send off sort of thing, you know. I also think we forget this. This franchise has been corny and cheesey in the past, so I don't think peoplere gonna.
Speaker 1: Be they did a better job with it. Though they did a better job.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I just don't think people are gonna be like upset with this movie.
Speaker 1: Plemonade. For those of you who don't know, Jesse Plemmons is the best when he shows up, and he sometimes does it for a very short amount of time. Who did that in this movie? And we might have a bias, but it's Tramill Tilman.
Speaker 2: Tramill Tillman as Captain bloodsoe you would know him from Severance was so good in this his like his giddiness, but first of all, you weren't sure if he was gonna be pro or anti Ethie Hunt Ethan Hunt. And then when he like he's giddy to go after the Russians, like he just he kicked it up a notch and that's when the movie started kicking up a notch as well. Like I thought, he was awesome and he brought an energy to the screen that let's say, hey, I wanting him didn't even though she was good Like Tramon, Tillman just brought an energy to the screen that a lot of other people didn't have.
Speaker 1: Max Credit Union, Who do you give in credit to?
Speaker 2: This is a tough one for me. Like, obviously Tom Cruise gets credit for doing all the crazy stunts and shit. I almost want to give it to Haley Atwell for like fitting in seamlessly these last couple of movies. But I'm gonna give it to to Ving Raims for being a guy being there from day one. He's been an integral part of every story, the tech guy. Let's let's give it to Ving Rams here go.
Speaker 1: That's like Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman's podcast Dudes on Dudes. They're like, you know what, this guy as a dude. I want to give him credit for me and a dude, Vin Raims, What kind of a dude is that guy?
Speaker 2: He is a dude.
Speaker 1: Adelman's a very good podcaster, by the way, so I'm not taking any kind of a shot at him.
Speaker 2: Great personality.
Speaker 1: Gronk is not.
Speaker 2: Did you see his Sunday conversation with Caleb Presley? I did a plus stuff.
Speaker 1: It's always A plus stuff. Yeah, he might have the best batting average around. Yeah pants ten city Excite, bike Mania and the best way to outdo that amazing train scene from the last movie. That train scene was awesome. It was let's go underwater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get a similar scene in that, you know, this submarine is getting ready to follow the even further to further depths. Now it's just Ethan hunt and in a like high tech scuba suit traversing through half submerged stuff in the submarine. And so you get vibes of that train scene when they're climbing through the train cars. I thought it was super intense for like ten minutes there. I really enjoyed the shit out of that scene.
Speaker 1: And it is skilly for those of you tarrety to the Mac and Goo party. We write everything on a forty hot dog rating system. Mac, I will agree with you. I thought the submarine scene and him on the plane was worth your money. I think that those were two awesome action scenes. Send off wise, not super satisfying. It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine, this was overly serious. There's zero levity to it. I had very little fun while watching this and I'm not saying, like, make this a comedy.
Speaker 2: Bobby should have had popcorn. This might be on you.
Speaker 1: I'm not allowed to have popcorn. That's a self and post rule against myself. But like, I'm not saying to make it a comedy. But like the other movies are fun, they're heisty. This hit the ground running, and I don't mean that in a good way. It just from the get go is at like forty miles an hour. There is no ramp up to anything. It is just from the get go, from the last movie.
Speaker 2: It's a part too. It's a continuation of a movie that had a cliffhanger.
Speaker 1: I don't think they did a good job with that.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: There's too many flashbacks, too many callbacks. The dialogue has so much jargon and inside stuff in it that it ends up almost sounding dumb. And I'm also curious how many of the lines like percentage wise are complements of Tom Cruise and Tom Cruise's character about how great he is, about how awesome he is.
Speaker 2: He saved the world seven times.
Speaker 1: All the people in the past that he has wronged, no, no, no, no, that was for a reason, and now they are better off for it, so thank you, Tom, thank you for doing that for me.
Speaker 2: They are part of the intelligence community, so eventually they do learn that he does stuff for a reason.
Speaker 1: But he is treated as if he is God this entire movie. And there is one piece of dial of like it is, Hey, you're the only person that should be in charge of this, you should be in charge of all of this. No, it's the people's work. It's like, calm down, let's all fucking calm down for a second. Twenty five hot ducks. Really I didn't like this. Wow, but I'll admit it looks really nice.
Speaker 2: This movie was more or less what I was expecting. I was hoping it would be a little better, but considering in my mind the last two have trended down a little bit, I was figuring this would be a little wired.
Speaker 1: Expecte shit.
Speaker 2: Once again, the fifteen or so minutes in the Submarine was fucking awesome, super intense. Also, the fight scene prior to that, where he's fighting the other marine and then the fight's happening on Saint Matthew Island, I thought that was really cool too. So there was a good like thirty minutes in here that were fucking bals. Of the Wall great. Then, of course, you know in the third act of the plane stuff that was also great. This just didn't quite have the juice that I'm looking for in a Mission Impossible movie, though, like I fully understand, we're completing a story that we started in the last movie. But part of the reason why I didn't love that last movie is because it didn't feel necessarily like a Mission Impossible movie or spy thriller movie. Felt more like an Indiana Jones movie, which is fine, people like those movies. I just have a preference. I did give the last movie thirty five hot Dogs, which I may maybe reck conn a thirty four ish that ended up being the number twelve movie of twenty twenty three. I don't think this movie is in that same conversation. I think it's a step below even that. That movie was just beat for beat better than this movie. The pacing was better in that movie. But I did like this movie, and it's because I love all the characters that were doing member barriers about good doesn't like that shit. I enjoyed it knowing it's the finale and it's like ark good by to these characters. So I'll fully admit this is probably maybe the fifth best, fourth or fifth best in the series. It's no, it's probably the fifth best, uh maybe even sixth because Mission Impossible three I get a soft spot four two. So I would say this is probably like thirty two hot Dogs for me. It's like a good theater movie. You're not really gonna rewatch it, you're not really gonna recommend it, but you enjoy it while you're there. On the year for twenty twenty five, in that range, it's it's I've got four movies now there Good Novacane, Mickey seventeen, and Companion. I all have at thirty two hot Dogs. I'm gonna throw this in there in that range too, So somewhere in the five to eight range on the year so far, but I've only seen now I think, thirteen movies. But again, this does feel more in that Mission Impossible, Mission Impossible three range, at like thirty two dog range that are really good, not great. You're not necessarily telling people to go watch this movie, whereas Ghost Protocol and Road Nation I think are like two of the best in the genre. Fallout, of course, people loved that movie too because of all the action in it. So this just this isn't nearly on those levels. And if you go and expecting that, you're going to be disappointed. I didn't go in expecting that, though I expect, I somewhat expected what we got. So it really just if it meets my expectations, I can't be too upset about it.
Speaker 1: I have it right around death of a Unicorn, like nine or ten on the AAR. I just don't care. I don't care for this. It wasn't for me. The ocean scene, how does from the depths of the sea. He doesn't need his submarining divers equipment, he can do it on his own.
Speaker 2: So Tom Cruise Ethan Hunt does it completes his mission in the submarine Sevestopol I believe it's called, which is sitting on a cliff on the ocean floor five hundred feet below. Whilst in there, because he's causing all sorts of changes with the air and the water, it starts moving and it's getting ready to fall him further. So he escapes through a torpedo shoot cool, but secondary he has to rip his wet suit thing open and he's probably gonna be about six hundred feet deep now, and he somehow survives floating up from six hundred feet down, and then they find him. I do like how they just glazed over that they cut open the ice and found him, find him underneath the ice. They do CPR, and he comes back and survives because of a hyperbaric chamber. I think that there's a chance his skull would have been crushed at six hundred feet. I don't really know the physics of the ocean. I do know that if you free dive, I think it's around thirty feet. It's like you can't, like you're you're having a bad time. I don't even think you can get to fifty feet, never mind one hundred and two hundred three and all that. So coming up the compression sickness, all the shit that the divers were talking about, it's literally impossible that he would have survived this. And this is a little bit of a shark jumping moment, because all the shit in the past, in these movies, they do seem impossible for someone to survive. Half the time. Also knowing that Tom Cruise the lot of the practical stunts, you're like, okay, it's conceivable. I see an avenue, I see the one out of one hundred that someone would survive this, you know, at the end, to fall out the helicopter crashers and they're on the cliff. Unlikely, but I see how that could happen. I do not see how someone could survive coming up with no breathing apparatus, no nothing, from six hundred feet down in the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from six hundred feet. So he took off his scuba suit at first to get out of the torpedo launcher there, and then on his way up he gets caught on the fin of the submarine. So he just cuts it off entirely and just starts swimming and apparently.
Speaker 2: Makes it like five hundred feet up swimming before he starts convulsing, like twenty feet before the surface. Like, I didn't love that.
Speaker 1: Simon Peg said that the ice would keep him alive.
Speaker 2: Which I understand that part of it. There's actually they do use like they do lower purposely lower people's body temperatures to keep people alive in some medical situation, So that part is true. The problem is the it's the other stuff that would have killed him, not the cold, but the other stuff, the depth, the pressure, all that shit.
Speaker 1: Do you like when he goes to the airplane and he hijacks that fella's airplane and he one punches him out like he's Indiana Jones.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was I was feeling like I was watching Indiana Jones movie and then that like it's knocked out.
Speaker 1: Like someone's fisting a pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wasn't great. I did like our send off to Luther. Finally we got a character that's been here for forever that had that we lost. We did lose Rebecca Ferguson in the last movie, but she was only in a couple. I like when we lose characters that we've had for a while, characters that are meaningful. So that was good. I thought it was maybe not a proper send off for this franchise and the characters. I thought it was good enough and and that's all. I really needed, a good enough send off. And I like, I don't know what more you wanted out of this movie, Like, how did you feel about the last movie?
Speaker 1: It more than this? I think I just wanted I just think this was just too big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the last movie was telling us that.
Speaker 1: I know that. But everything was just so overly serious. There was no fun to it, and I hated how everyone everyone's life. Everyone's dialogue was like, whenever Ethan Hunt wasn't around, I wonder what Ethan's doing. Ethan's great? Isn't Ethan the coolest? I agree Ethan is great. The conversation that Haley Atwell has with him in the Hyperbolic Chamber about like, hey, like, why don't you control the entity? Why don't like why? I think you should be the one that's in charge of all of this. Get off his balls, stop it, stop it with everybody.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they didn't just destroy it.
Speaker 1: It's in a flash drive now, right, so destroy it. Well if you threw the flash drive down now that it's like caught in there, couldn't like plank o its way out.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I don't think it's.
Speaker 1: I don't know the science behind it. I don't know the math behind it.
Speaker 2: There were some Ultron vibes here too.
Speaker 1: I was actually thinking, like at the start, I'm like, oh, Tom Cruise, age of Ultron? Tom Cruise?
Speaker 2: Was he originally almost iron man? I? I, yeah, you're right, you're right about that. I just have a hard time, like overly criticizing this. It was like almost exactly what I expected in some respects.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite still from the movie is when he's hanging onto the wing of the plane and his head is facing this way and he has like that dirpy haircut. It was the ball and I'm like, this was all worth it, This was worth it. I was thinking early on. I'm like, I think he should have went back with the shorter hair. He looks younger, he looks fresher.
Speaker 2: He did look younger freshman the last movie. And I do like that. They point out Haley atwell at the begin of this movie points so like, I like the long hair.
Speaker 1: No, but I don't like that because it's too complimentary. Every line can't be complimentary.
Speaker 2: That's the tug in cheek shit you're talking about. Though. You gotta appreciate that.
Speaker 1: But it was a compliment to him. This is so it's yes for one thing, but also something else. Too many compliments for Tom Cruise in this movie.
Speaker 2: Pom Clement was great, by the way. She was awesome this so.
Speaker 1: In the last movie she was pretty much playing a joker. Yeah, but this movie calmed it down really little more depth to her character.
Speaker 2: I don't know why she didn't speak English the whole time when she could understand English, but.
Speaker 1: Did you speak English last movie?
Speaker 2: No, she's spoke in French or whatever she speaks in U in this movie. I just like, I feel like you're having I mean, you didn't enjoy it, clearly.
Speaker 1: But I did not enjoy it. My diet PEPSI sucked.
Speaker 2: I also feel like your complaints and gripes aren't great.
Speaker 1: The entire movie was that? Are you saying the entire movie wasn't a big complimentary.
Speaker 2: Say, I feel like I feel like this is what it should have been. Essentially, it was.
Speaker 1: Too big, it was boring, it was joyless.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, let's get into sac you saw, you saw here's a little here's a little spoiler of the folks that have made it this fart of the episode. You saw another movie this week and you said that movie better than this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we're in nax Zach right now when it could be anything. And apparently MATC just asked me a question before I fucking introduced it. Yeah, we're gonna talk about Stitch next week. Lelo and Stitch the live action. I enjoyed it. Is it the best? No? But did it do enough to warrant being a or being made. It's a live action job. Yeah, it did its job. I would say that I might have liked Aladdin a little bit more when it comes to the live action ones, but I like that movie more than most. I think it's kind of fun at swashbuckling. This one has an issue that when Stitch is not on the screen, kind.
Speaker 2: Of lacks means family.
Speaker 1: Ohanna does mean family?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm looking forward to Stitch. Is there another movie coming out soon too? We're getting closer.
Speaker 1: To the bris Arena is coming out this lots.
Speaker 2: Of movie, a couple of weeks weeks.
Speaker 1: How to Train Your Dragon is coming up, A bunch of movie. Oh well, July is Superman, Rascic World, Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Four, Fantastic four July.
Speaker 1: July smirks, It's all July, All right, Mac, Back to what I was gonna talk about in your sack. A huge part of my teenage years was at five o'clock popping on ESPN and catching a bunch of my friends debating sports. And that was Around the Horn. Today, Friday, May twenty third, twenty twenty five, The Year of Our Lord is the final episode of Around the Horn. Have I seen an episode.
Speaker 2: I thought they stopped like a year ago.
Speaker 1: No, No, it was canceled a couple months ago. The final episode is today. Am I completely am I one hundred percent sure about that fact. No, but I think it's right all right, I will say that once again, and this is no slight against it. I just I don't really, I don't have ESPN. I'm not around around five o'clock to watch it. I probably wouldn't watch it anyways. But as a teenager, Around the Horn maybe my favorite show.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was Around the Horn and PTI on back to back five and five thirty leading in the Sports Center at six. Both were great, like especially mid two thousands, they were perfect mid two thousands, Uh, sports shows. I might be misremembering. Wasn't there a time at the beginning of the show where it wasn't always Tony Reality hosting? Or was he always hosting?
Speaker 1: Max Kellerman was the host?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yep, that's right, because at.
Speaker 1: First Tony Reality was stat Boy on around on PTS.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, that's where it's now. It's connecting Woody Page, the best I think all time. PTI guy you also had Skip was on there for a little bit. Tim kallishaw Ja, Don Day, Michael and Mike Smith, Jackie McMullen, Bob Ryan. When it first started, it was really just six or seven and then Sully Moore worked their way in, But it was it was a good way to get get like these writers because I mean, think about it, goo nineties sports writers were still mainly print, hadn't really made their their impression on TV yet. ESPN changed out a little bit, Sports Center changed out a little bit, but it was still like different. They were anchors. And then the two thousands brought on a lot of these shows. You had what was the Sunday Show with.
Speaker 1: The sports writers?
Speaker 2: Sports writers? Great fucking was.
Speaker 1: It Bob Lee? But Bobby Lee the guy from Matt TV.
Speaker 2: Forget who was on there all the time. But that was a great fucking show. And so the two thousands really worked these sports writers into it. Okay and yeah sure, and it just really it really took these guys up a notch, like and you started really and like it's led to some of the bad spot like Skip Bayless and Steven A have have gotten into ridiculous spots these days. They their caricatures of their former selves. But when this all began. There wasn't time and place where they weren't being completely ridiculous and it was really entertaining. Television Mac.
Speaker 1: Where can the folks find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and on Instagram, at Mac and podcast every other platform. We are mac ampersan and Go. That's macshif seven Good. That includes Facebook, Strituning, Castworks, Preaky, Google Play, I are Radio run Spotify, but more importantly we're on Apple Podcasts. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Go T shirt from the folks Over at Watterchtown Sports where watterchown sportswear dot com experts, screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Teapublic dot com. I pulled off my glasses one more time to really get home the fact that I needed to wear those sunglasses. I wasn't doing it right, That's not what I am. But also I I just recorded a commercial from my teeth spot Oh nice. Well you know, I just got my my teeth widened. They look look, they look nice?
Speaker 2: Is that the word for them widened?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what you did with the invisile line. You try and widen out your smile a little bit, okay, fixes it perfect smiles Nashua, New Hampshire. I shot a commercial for them, and boy do I look tired in that commercial?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Not just an audio, no visual? Okay, all right, do I look tired? That's just that's what I look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna do Last of Us on Monday? Uh?
Speaker 2: Certainly not on Monday. I'm not even gonna be watching it Sunday night because it'll be a Boston calling classes, so I probably won't even watch it till Monday, Monday afternoon. Actually I can't even really. I have a I have a more Memorial Day event on Monday, so I probably won't even watching it until Monday night. So we could do it next Friday.
Speaker 1: If so, let's let's do Stitch on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna see Stitch until Tuesday.
Speaker 1: So let's do something on Tuesday and then either on on Friday, we'll either.
Speaker 2: Do maybe I'll see Stitch Monday night. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Let's we'll we'll talk about it off the air, okay, but we'll have episodes next week.
Speaker 2: We'll have episodes.
Speaker 1: Tuesdays or Guesdays. I Abuse Kangaroos team Burton Bye. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on tram Papa lee ins