Speaker 1: Welcome to the Transformation Station podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between, this is for you. There's this crazy idea that before we start something doesn't matter what it is that we need to feel ready. We have to be one hundred and twenty percent prepared and have like this flawless plan, and like motivation doesn't just knock on the door, Like that's something that we talk about quite often. Confidence doesn't show up all of a sudden, it's like, Okay, let's go, we're ready. Confidence, as we spoke about before, and motivation, it happens when we actually show up first. So like that to me is something that is very important when we talk about fitness and our journeys because I know that's start again can Honestly, I've started again how many times, like over and over again in how many decades, but like starting again can feel harder than starting for the first time. And I remember, like even now, like I'm on a roll with my fat loss journey again, and that's where I'm at personally, like I've I've implemented exercise as a part of my everyday lifestyle to feel more energy, to feel more confident, and it's truly genuinely changed my life for the better. And I will always be thankful for those hard things that I've gone through. But I know that when it comes to my weight loss and weight gain and starting all over again, like man, it's discouraging sometimes and it's embarrassing, and a lot of people, I think, like we don't talk about those things, but it is something that happens to the best of us. And when you've never done things like that before, like you don't really have anything to compare it to. Like you're first starting your journey, things are starting to shift, you feel awesome, and there's not really that comparison to be like, oh, last time I did it, it was like this because you're experiencing things for the very first time. But when you're coming back to yourself and your routine, you do have something to compare it to, and you remember what you used to lift, and you remember how long you could exercise before, you remember that endurance that you built up, You remember what your body could do and like when you're restarting, you remember those things too that felt easier and now they feel hard.
Speaker 2: And now you're standing there and.
Speaker 1: You're thinking, you're like, I used to be able to do this. And I always say comparison is a thief of joy, And genuinely I'm talking about when we compare ourselves to others, but that comparison to ourselves, it can really mess with us because instead of recognizing that you showed up today, you're comparing today's version to yesterday's version, or to someone who had maybe a completely different circumstance. And maybe back then you had more time, maybe your body was different, maybe your stress was different, your work was different, maybe you weren't necessarily dealing with with such a high demand in the workplace, or maybe aging, parents, hormones, injuries, poor sleep, and like a thousand other things that happen all at once. We'll just say life changes starting again. It's it doesn't always mean going back to exactly what you did before, because we're in different seasons of our lives. Like if you knew me six months ago, you don't know me now. If you knew me six years ago, you certainly don't know me. Now, and I believe that that's how it is when we go through our fitness journey and when our lifestyles start to shift and change, like sometimes it means we need to figure out what works now for us in this moment. And I remember, like I've always heard even my mom say, like, oh, I remember when I was twenty five years old, before I was pregnant with twins, Like I was one hundred and twenty pounds, soaking wet, and I used to sit in front of the TV, and I used to bike every single day, and I used to wear like crocheted, little tiny bikinis. And I've seen that picture. I was like, wow, that is that looks like my mom. But it doesn't look like my mom beautiful anyway. So what worked for my mom when she was twenty five years old isn't necessarily what's going to work for her at seventy years old. And the same goals for me, Like what worked for me in my twenties when I was first starting my fitness journey doesn't necessarily work for me now that I'm thirty nine years old. So it's like we have to trial and error, and it's hard when you're like always comparing yourself to what you used to be. Like confidence truly is built through that process. There's actually a concept called self efficacy and it's basically what that means is your belief that you can do something. And some of the strongest ways that we can build upon that belief is through having successful experiences. And in previous podcasts you've heard me say like confidence is at a ten, skill is that a three? But I do believe that that is the key to success, is being able to step out and try things and then see where you're successful at and where maybe things don't go as plan. That's just a learning purmo, it's a learning experience and other not in the learning belt of learning your new season of life. And sometimes you can't think about doing it. You just got to go because there's no there's there's no there's nothing magical that's gonna happen, and all of a sudden we fear fearless, like I think of like the bit bitty buppitty boot and now you're fearless. Unfortunately, I don't believe that that happens. But when you're actually doing something and you're realizing, okay, I handled that, that is how you build trust in yourself. And that's why I think starting smaller making sure that your expectation is a little bit lower than what it should be in quotation marks, and I think that's how it could be so powerful. At first, it's you go to one class, maybe you're walking for let's say twenty minutes. Maybe you're not used to walking and you're trying to get in more active daily living steps. So maybe you're going to go for a walk for twenty minutes. You're gonna put in maybe this podcast HI. If you're listening to this while you're walking, maybe you're driving HI.
Speaker 2: To that too.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's doing a workout and you're gonna change up some of the movements. So then it gives you that feeling of success because you're working with what your body can do right now, not what it could do last year. Maybe it's picking weights that feel manageable instead of coming in with a hot head being like, oh yes, I know I am extra extra strong raw, and then you're out for a week or maybe even injured. See how it feels. Start off with a lighter weight and build from there. I would rather see somebody start off with lighter weights and build rather than come in and go super heavy and then again hurt themselves or feel too sore for two weeks that they can't even lift their arms. Sometimes it's leaving with some energy instead of crawling out the door. Also and saying that, so like every time you do those small little things, that those small things make up for a very big picture your brain. It's like a like a like I hope that that sounded like a camera. That to me is a snapshot. So your brain gets a small little piece of evidence that you did do it, and then you do it again, and then you do it again and again, and then you have.
Speaker 2: Two pieces of evidence.
Speaker 1: And that to me is building confidence in yourself, and it's also building trust with yourself. I think sometimes we can accidentally make things a crap ton harder than what it needs to be because we make these over aggressive massive comeback plans. Monday comes and suddenly we're like, yeah, we're gonna work out five days a week. We're meal prepping everything, We're drinking all of the water, we're drinking like the whole ocean. We're getting eight hours of sleep, maybe nine hours of sleep. We're hitting ten thousand steps, and we're becoming an entirely different person by Tuesday, and that's going to feel super exciting for a few days. But in the long run, confidence isn't built by making the biggest, most extravagant promises to be possible. In the long run, it's built keeping the small promises to yourself. Like I said, those even small, small ones, especially the small ones, it makes up for the bigger picture. If you tell yourself you're gonna move twice this week and you do that, that definitely one hundred and twenty percent matters. If you decide that you are going to incorporate having twenty five grams or thirty grams of protein to your breakfast and you actually remember to do it most mornings, that is a trophy in itself. Like high five Q, that one hundred and twenty percent matters. All these are one hundred and twenty percent matters. If you walk into let's say the transformation station for the first time, and you feel uncomfortable because it's new and it's.
Speaker 2: Fresh, and you don't really know anybody.
Speaker 1: You will after you walk through that door, but you choose to stay anyway, and that to me another check mark, big green check mark that's on the confidence building. That's the notch in the experience belt. All those experiences are what really start to change the story that you tell yourself over and over again. And maybe it's coming back to the transformation station after you have gained weight. Can we talk about that, because that's something that I hear so often. I check in with members that are here or there everywhere, and they say, like, oh my gosh, I gained one hundred.
Speaker 2: Pounds and I went on a hiatus for.
Speaker 1: A year and I ate everything and I didn't move because my life was stressful, and all these reasons maybe trickled in with some excuses.
Speaker 2: Of course we all do that. I do that.
Speaker 1: It's just a hairflip, but like there's reason sometimes and now that person feels uncomfortable to come back. I've done that after my two hundred pounds lost. I gained one hundred pounds back, and I was so embarrassed, like it it. I can't even explain to you. I didn't even want to go grocery shopping. I didn't even want to leave my house. So I can understand when people are saying, oh my gosh, I gained twenty pounds. I don't want to come back to group fitness because people are gonna notice. Firstly, you're not the only person. And secondly, I saw this thing that circulated and it's like, tell me your friends who liked you because of your weight. We like you because you're funny, we like you because a good friend, and you listen and we can listen to you, and maybe you have great stories like it has literally nothing to do with your weight. So if you're on the fence and you're listening and this might resonate with you, I know I hear this at least once or twice a week from different people.
Speaker 2: You're not alone.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry that you feel like garbage because I know when I was going through that, I felt like garbage. But the worst thing to do is just keep hibernating. Take that step. You know where to start. You know we're here to support you. We love you, we care about you. We're not judging you. But that to me, the ball's in your court because instead of saying like I can't ever stick with anything, once you start making those small steps and you're like, all right, I just got to face the music. Let's just rip off the band aid. That story of I can't stick with anything. It can become like, you know what, I've been pretty consistent lately, and then you're patting yourself on the back because that is like, that is such an important thing, and I don't think that circulates in conversation enough, Like we hear like the high fives and yes we did it, and we hear like, oh, this is what I'm struggling with. But how about those things where you're like, I'm just been in this rut and I cannot dig myself out because I feel ashamed and embarrassed. Shame and embarrassed. Kick that to the curb. Man, We're never gonna grow with shame and embarrassment. Also something in saying that is when we enter the space for the first time again, or we're returning to fitness for the first time, you might feel a little bit rusty, and that's totally going to be normal, Like if you haven't exercised in a while, Like, not only is it going to feel different in your body, but also your coordination might feel a little bit off, especially like your balance your strength. Usually I hear that the most, like, oh, my endurance and my strength, those are two things that I hear quite often when someone's getting back into fitness, but like you might also need some more recovery, and your balance also might be a little bit different, because like there's so many things that change with fitness, and your body's going to remember, your brain's going to remember, like as long as you let yourself be in the season that you're in, it's going to feel more special and empowering rather than being upset. Like a lot of the times people are upset when they're first getting it, but it's like, you know what, just shake it off. That isn't proof that that you're not supposed to be here. It's not proof like oh I shouldn't I should just I should have stayed home, I shouldn't have bothered working out like that, to me is evidence that you should be there. And even your nervous system it's going to start to learn through what you practice. So the more you repeat your exercises, the more your nervous system is going to be like, oh, this is actually what I'm supposed to be doing. Like your your movement skills and your your patterns, your balance, all of those things they're going to improve with practice. I always say, like it's like training to muscle. The more you train it, the stronger it's going to get. Strength responds to training and your work capacity, your workload of what you're working on right now. It's it's not always going to.
Speaker 2: Be the same. Like, you can build on that when.
Speaker 1: You like when you walk the door for the first time, or maybe even let's say you're trying a new movement for the first time. Maybe you're already in the gym and you're trying something new. You don't have to already be really good at the thing that you came to practice in the gym. Maybe it's a new movement and you're like, why am I not getting this? You have time to slow it down and learn. You have the capacity that you can work towards it to build that. Like imagine, like if you are like, no, I don't want to learn how to let's say play a piano. I was gonna say guitar. I play guitar. I love playing guitar, and I'm very no bueno at piano, even though I do know the like the basic chords. Anyway, let's say you're like, no, I don't want to learn how to play piano. I'm not taking lessons because I can't play piano. Yet of course you can't, because that's why you're taking the lesson. And in my opinion, I think fitness should work the exact same way. And like a lot of adults, like we carry so much embarrassment around being beginners. I'm not too sure when that shifted, like as we aged and we grew up. But like we think, because we're adults, that we should know how everything works. And sometimes we think like everyone else is doing things perfectly, or maybe we think that people are watching or even let's say needing modifications for different ailments. You are definitely not the first person in the gym or the only person in this current season. You're not the only person that has a sore knee, a sore shoulder, a sore back. Like you're not the only person that needs to switch up the exercises. You're not the only person that is doing standing work instead of groundwork, and vice versa. I think most people are trying to remember what exercise comes next, and they're wondering why forty seconds feels like six business days, Like we don't have it figured out, Like we just show up. We're there to have a good time, We're there to get stronger. Where they're to work on our bodies. No one is in the gym to judge you. And if you're starting again, I would make the goal ridiculously simple because that is something that you can repeat. So pick something that you can rinse and repeat. It's not gonna look like a perfect week. Plan your most realistic week for you and what you have on your daily agenda and on your schedule. Maybe it's two workouts, maybe you can't get to the gym twice that week. Maybe you're gonna do like a step in lift on a Friday and stay for a stretch, or maybe you're gonna hit up strength training on a Wednesday night and stay for a stretch and flow, like maybe that is something that is going to be good for you, and do too. Let your body adapt, learn the movements again, find out what those movements feel like in two days from then. And I always tell everyone like, hey, if you need to be at the gym because you need to be in a routine and it's good for your mental health, I don't care if you show up and you walk on the spot for forty minutes if that's what your body needs, because let your body adapt and learn all of those movements again, and also figure out what you are enjoying right now in this moment, because what maybe you enjoyed last year or six years ago is gonna be different now. And I think I'm like, you know those little plastic Fisher Price toys and I don't know if they're Fisher Price toys, but they're definitely kids toys. And there's like a triangle and you put the triangle insteade of the triangle, and the star shape goes inside the star shape. Like imagine if all of a sudden we had a different shape in our hands because our seasons of life has it's changed. So imagine taking that star and trying to stick it inside of like the triangle shape. It's just not gonna work. So if you figure out things that take your time, if we pick up this Fisher Price toy and we just try to shove it all in all like now go in now, pow pow pow, it's gonna be incredibly frustrating. But if you take the time to insert those things, even just thinking about it, that is incredibly satisfying. And once those those workouts and those movement patterns and those classes and the way of eating, maybe you're adjusting your eating. When those things start to feel normal the same way that I said, like, oh that feels so satisfying, that's going to cause you to be able to build from where you're at because sometimes we think, sometimes you think like consistency is never missing a meal or never missing a workout, But in my opinion, like that's not.
Speaker 2: What consistency means. Whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Consistency means being able to return to So you can have maybe a super busy week, you can have that vacation tis the season we have just entered, August.
Speaker 2: August has entered the chat.
Speaker 1: You can also like maybe get sick, which I don't like for you or for me, or even having a rough month, add that into the nobueno category. But that's when you can have those things come up, like maybe you have that season where fitness moves further down your priority list, But the skill is being built learning how to come back without turning like, oh my gosh, I was away and now I'm the problem. What is wrong with me? Because you don't have to punish yourself for having those blips of time. And let's say those blips of time I'm going to call life is lifeing like you don't have to make up for your time lost. All you have to do is literally just be like, Okay, I'm going to start with where I am right now, and that's not going to feel like like fireworks, Like it's not going to be super exciting, but at the end of the day, that's what works. And eventually you start to notice things pivoting and shifting. The thing that you were so afraid to re enter is actually going to feel like, oh, you know what, that's not so scary for me anymore. You know where to put your things, you recognize a few people, you understand the exercises, the coach is there to give you a high five, and then you start learning again what weights that you usually do grab and your body's like, I remember this, this is fantastic, and you stop spending the entire day negotiating because that's what we used to do, right Like, when you're in a rut, you're like, should I go? I know I should go? But over time, when you put one foot in front of the other, you just you just go. And that's how you build that confidence. It's not entering and being like, you know what, I'm amazing at everything you're literally walking into a room now and you know that you can figure it out.
Speaker 2: So on that note, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Wrap this up real quick. If you've been waiting to feel ready or good enough or small enough in your body or whatever, stop waiting for that part. Give yourself some grace and give yourself one small experience that can be that CLICKI like that evidence that you can snapshot, that you can prove to yourself that you can do it, because then that one snapshot becomes a second snapshot. Literally, that'll be the confidence catching up to you, because that is usually what it does. All right, Time to wrap up. If this resonated, feel free to comment, send me a message.
Speaker 2: I want to high five you. I want to see some.
Speaker 1: People walking through the door in the next few weeks that I haven't seen in a while. I am so looking forward to seeing you once again. If you're in that boat. If this resonates, maybe with you because a friend or a family member and you wish to show them like, hey, you're not the only person and give yourself some grace, feel free to send this on over to a friend like Share Subscribe. These podcast episodes get released Monday to Friday. They drop at five am. We have some super exciting.
Speaker 2: Guests coming up this week.
Speaker 1: Until next time, I hope that you stay so happy, so motivated, so healthy, and I hope that really good things happen for you today