Speaker 1: Big food and be on.
Speaker 2: With Cliff and Bobo.
Speaker 1: These guys are your favorites, so like to subscribe and raid it lip Story and me.
Speaker 2: Righteous to go on.
Speaker 3: Yes today listening watching, always keep its watching.
Speaker 4: And now you're hosts Cliff Berkman and James Bubo Fay. All right, folks, we're here with a little update for the most popular guests we've ever had. Sarah from episode of fifty five. You all remember Sarah. We are at the North American big Foot Center Cliff Museum in Boring, Oregon, and she's had some stuffs since her last appearance on the show, so we decided to hook up and we're all here and we're gonna hear what she has going on lately. Hello, Sarah and Greg, thanks for coming on. Hello.
Speaker 5: Sure it wasn't even mentally prepared. I just wanted to go squatching. Yeah, well that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm sitting here at the NABC right next to the Peter Burn and Larry Lund gearbox.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Larry gave me that. Peter Burn gave a bunch of stuff in there, and a lot of it's on the wall. You probably saw the Peter stuff on the wall outside, but that's what it all came in. And that was Peter's trunk right there, and you know, epic. Yeah, and this is backstage of course, nobody can just see this.
Speaker 5: So great up here and the museum is just so exciting and I could be in there for days. I was thinking, we're going to have to camp out in here overnight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should do over night trips like you know, like the Monarchy right right, we did that the ghost in.
Speaker 2: The Ghost There are ghosts here?
Speaker 5: Are there?
Speaker 2: Melissa is convinced of it. I'm not. Melissa's The museum members get a documentary that we make in the museum every single month, oh right, and one of them was a ghost ton on Halloween. Oh that's far Halloween at you know, just a little bit of fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go scare me, not big foots.
Speaker 4: So last time we had Sarahan, you told some stories that happened at home, and Greg, you heard you heard some of the things that happened right back your house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well wait for where didn't you hear.
Speaker 4: The one run through like the down the road and screaming.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and Truckie that was the weirdest thing. We were sitting the are yeap and something in the middle of the night was extremely loud, moving very fast, running down the road and making a noise that was you could hear it from the left of the houses were laying there in bed and then just continued and then faded out for about I don't know, maybe about thirty five seconds, and it just continued. It was not a car, It wasn't.
Speaker 2: Was it one cont like it was, Yeah, it was one constant.
Speaker 5: It was not a yell like that. It was like an autis old grunt.
Speaker 1: It was kind of but it was like it was.
Speaker 5: Almost like a scream intermitten screen kind.
Speaker 1: Of kept on a little louder, a little softer, a little louder, a little softer than it eventually worked its way out and it was gone, and we just.
Speaker 5: That thing moved from one corner of the entire neighborhood all the way through and our house was situated right next to this little open space trail that the kids used to cut through to get to the school that we lived near. And it was up in the mountains.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That thing ran from the woods and probably from like the river, like the Trucky River, all the way out across towards the meadows and maybe the other side of the river because the subdivision is right on a big turn.
Speaker 1: It was a flat plane, you know. And then the river was on three sides of us, and it must have come up from one side and then made this strange sound as it continued and early early morning, nobody was out driving, No kids were on their older car that would make a screech as it went down the road. It wasn't a oily or a mechanical screech.
Speaker 4: It was really odd slapping too.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, we heard. You could hear it running like a padded steps, you know, or running on cement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all dirt, paved saved roads and then dirt on the little trail cut through right next to our house.
Speaker 5: So it came like right past our our house in our backyard.
Speaker 1: And those houses. I mean it's a road, you know. It was squatchy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we both woke up and we were like, that had to have been much. That thing was huge and running and you could hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either what kind of jogger would be yelling? Frank Sinatra practice singing while swimming, And it was it was fast.
Speaker 1: It was as fast as you would you know, be either riding a bicycle and it wasn't a car you're writing it was.
Speaker 2: It was fast.
Speaker 1: However, you know, however, you could hear it getting louder and then you could it was clearly in front of the house and then beyond the house. Really, so that was years ago. That was years ago.
Speaker 4: That was that was.
Speaker 5: That was probably twelve years ago, at least maybe thirteen, yeah, fourteen, probably.
Speaker 4: They had some more reason happened.
Speaker 1: So something else recent happened. I was with a I worked for a water agency in northern California, and we were up checking out a meadow project that we had just done a restoration project away in the High Sierra. And there's about twelve of us out there paying attention to it, looking at what we did. And it was a big project. It was big meadow restoration. We had a bunch of heavy equipment out there the season few seasons before, and so we were out taking a look at the project and walking around, walking around the woods in and the meadow. And so we were out there with about a group of twelve of us walking around, and then we were checking out these little they weren't vernal pools, but they were springs that that the project had sort of re reinvigorated, and the whole thing was to reconnect the floodplain of the of the meadow to to be more natural. It was insized and cut and so we had we had rebuilt it for water retention and retention for our reservoir downstream, et cetera. So we were walking around checking it out, and we were standing around this little area looking at these little vernal kind of pool areas, and then out of nowhere there definitely was this knock, knock, knock, And then it stopped for a second. And I was standing apart from most people. They were kind of down a little bit, and and I listened really carefully, and nobody really seemed to hear it. Then it happened again, knock. Not the location same, Yeah, kind of off to the left down stream a little bit, maybe one hundred yards, you know. But it was a it was a it was we were in a clearing and then it was a wooded zone about one hundred yards away, and it was in there. It was well forested.
Speaker 2: Three knocks, three, three knocks each twice.
Speaker 1: How many of you were there, it was about twelve of us, and at the time nobody said anything. Then we walked away. We were back behind the I was outside of the group a little bit. Everybody was kind of down in this little space, but I was, you know, not more than ten feet away from everybody. And yeah, it was a bucket. It was it was a three knock. It was definitely wood on wood and I definitely heard it and looked into the woods and stared into the woods and is And then about a minute or three later, we all sort of started walking away and left that zone and went back upstream and to the cars, which were about a mile and a half away, and I kept looking back. I kept looking back, just staring into the tree line to see if there was something, and didn't see anything and didn't hear anything after that, and we walked away and it wasn't an till maybe, I don't know. A week later, I was downloading with our two project managers for this project and I was asking about, you know, how was the trip, and Da Da DA, and we were talking about the project and then I asked them both, I said, you know, do you guys hear anything back in there? And the one guy that works for me said he did, and the other woman said she didn't, and he and I compared our notes and he said, yeah, I heard that knock as well, and so and we pontificated as to what it could be. And we were both like, well, that was definitely a chackling the bigfoot, and the other gal was like, no way, I can't be. You know, you guys are just it was something else and we're like, okay, kind of know where you stand. And then and then but he and I were like, yeah, that's definitely what it was. Yeah, and yeah that that was the last late summer twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Five, okay, if we were beaver involved.
Speaker 1: So there was another beaver incit in this where we had included released some beavers into this area the spring before, and we were worried that some of the ponds weren't deep enough, but we regardless, the beavers were released and then they went back in the fall kind of after the same period of time, so they had been there now all summer long, and and it was about six months later before the winter hit twenty twenty five, and they tracked the beaver because the beaver tail had a tracking on it, and they tracked the tail up into the woods about three hundred yards two hundred yards outside of the outside of the meadow into the woods. And it was just the tail, nobody, nothing. And it was a clean, clean cut of the tail.
Speaker 5: It was a cut.
Speaker 1: It was it was either chomped or I mean, it was just the edge of the tail and there was no flesh nothing. Yeah, And I don't know how the beaver, you know, if that's a bony sec you know, if that's bone, or if it's just flesh on flesh that connects the tail to the butt. I'm not sure how that the beaver anatomy is, but it was.
Speaker 4: I don't think the bones too, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Or if it's just a fleshy connection.
Speaker 5: I think it is a fleshy connection. It's like the tail bone ends and the tails is a fleshy part that connects to a tailbone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They got a picture of the beaver just and I saw the you know, it was a pretty big beaver tail. It was, you know, this big. It was a good sized beaver, you know, And and it had the tag on the edge of it and it was sitting there. I didn't know what I mean, it clearly the ponds. I don't think we're really deep and so could have been could have been a bobcat. I mean, I'm sure a lot of yeah, coyotes. I'm sure a lot of people go after there, a lot of things go after those. But it was definitely either drug taken transported a few hundred yards out into the woods away from the meadow because it was in the tree line now and there was I'm not sure what they ended up doing.
Speaker 2: And curious happening in the same area where. Yeah, how far away from the knocking place was this this?
Speaker 1: I don't know because I wasn't It's not far. I mean, it's it's within it's within the meadow itself is about twenty or thirty acres, and so it was within the same same right there. Yeah, within a mile. Yeah, it's a mile or two okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, you could look down, you know, across and you're in the same zone.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, so a few hundred yards.
Speaker 1: Or right not along's not a long walk, yeah, or stride for any particular creature.
Speaker 5: I mean, could have been a poacher, I suppose.
Speaker 4: Because that's such a nutritious part of the animal, you know, Oh.
Speaker 5: The tail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I never had That was the weird thing. It was just sitting there. I don't I can't remember if it was buried. I mean it was just sitting in the dirt and the you know, in the leaves. I just saw the picture afterwards, and I just saw it the one time. This was a Benson last fall. Yeah, just a you know, just one of those h that's a strange connection.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 4: What about you starting on the show and your name got out there and then they don't even comment on the TV thing we did that I was on recently, like the interview.
Speaker 5: I was watching that and just bringing me back to interviewing with you, and that was that was a really fun experience. But I was just so dorky. I think I was more starstruck by meeting you for the first time and just I just remember, like I had this little grin on my face and I'm talking about my Bigfoot encounter.
Speaker 4: Our fans are starstruck by you and our show.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, so I had an opportunity to go back to my site of where that creature came through my camp just recently, just a few weeks ago, and it was incredibly special. I never thought I would go back to that exact spot again, and I was invited with Less Stroud. He's working on maybe a documentary film, kind of a really what it seems to me is a well thought out film piece on the phenomenon of Sasquatch. I had met Less about a year before, similar to the time that Greg heard the Knox out in the Sierra, and I met Less in person, and he did an initial interview with me and great guy. I mean, he's survivorman, right and really really kind, really nice, and he had said within the near future he wanted to get me back out someday to my spot, and I sort of brushed it off, like yeah, right, like I'll ever be able to get out there again. And sure enough, the trip came together and at the first part of this summer we went out there, Less and I and a couple of his camera guys and we did a full wilderness expedition hike out to this spot and I was just so taken and moved by being in that area again. It was incredibly beautiful and wild and you know, not visited by humans, very little negative impact in there, just the forest and the forest structure itself. So I'm a professional chorister. I mean, I was just doorking out on the forest and the forest ecology, and there was a fire in there a couple of years ago, so I wasn't sure what to expect, and I was just so pleasantly surprised by the state of this landscape. It was basically perfect. It was exactly how I remembered it. Actually, we didn't approach my site from the same way that I had originally gone in, and so I wasn't even sure if we were going to make it. And sure enough, we hoofed it up there and got up towards the PCT and out to that marble outcropping and right above the cliff where that creature had climbed, and then came up through the knoll or sort of the smooth part of above the cliff where I was sleeping on, and it came right next to me, and I got to replay that whole memory. That part was exactly how I remembered it. And the watershed was as wide and deep and vast as I remembered it. It was actually more beautiful than I had remembered it. The colors and the wildflowers this year were just spectacular. The mountain fog was rolling in over the peaks, and then that was another part of the trip this time, was that I really got to reflect on the mountain and the shoulder of that peak that it eventually went up to the shoulder of and called until sunrise, because that I've been playing back in my head over the last twenty eight years of you know, where was that? Was it? How I remembered it? You know, I replayed the sound and the calling that it did in my head over and over again. And actually listening to the interview with Shane Corson and he talked about the long howl, I was just moved by that because I'm like, that's what it was. It was the long howl, and it was a long howl, and it was over the course of hours, and so I got to pinpoint when we were back there exactly where it went up the shoulder of this peak and made that call until almost the sun came up and I was right below it, and so the whole thing was just there's one word I wish I could take back, because we were filming, I didn't expect that we were actually going to be filming for Less's movie or show or whatever he intends to do with it. But sure enough, he had these camera guys and I was reliving the whole thing, and I was telling the story, and so he captured it all on the film, and you know, maybe he'll release that someday. But he asked me when we were up there, he said, you know, what's it like being back here? And I said it was it was very moving. It was it was emotional, it was spiritual, it was physical being there. But I said that it was validating, and if I could take that word back, I would say it was affirming, affirming, affirming. It was one hundred percent affirming of what I experienced when I was fairly twenty one years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, that's fantastic. And you know, our listeners know that I've been doing filming with Less, and I wasn't sure that I know Less reached out and wanted your contact information. That's where one of the reasons we're in contact. I didn't know he's going to go to the spot with you. What a fantastic comportunity for not only you personally, but for people like me or our listeners who have kind of lived vicariously through your encounter, that we're gonna be able to see that and see the magnificent terrain of the Marble Mountains. You know, nobody goes in there. Very few people do and get to the spot. Because that's we're not going to give away much about Less's documentary. We're not going to give away the spot or anything. But it's between a ten and twenty mile hike to get there, you know, it's a long ways in. Very few people get it's on this spot.
Speaker 5: It's on the twenty end of that spectrum. And actually I had tried to get to the spot three years ago with a friend of mine. She and I went out for the twenty fifth anniversary and we approached from the way that I originally approached way back when, and we didn't make it. There was no water. We were barely making you know, over ten miles, and we were just whooped and we were like we were just suffering together. And we did get to a vantage point up above from this one ridge. That was a really spectacular moment also where I randomly got off the trail and went up to this lookout and sure enough it looked out over the entire watershed where that individual had come up from the bottom, and I saw the cliff, and I saw the marble escarpment that I was sleeping on, and got to see that whole landscape where it had happened from afar. Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's score, Sarah.
Speaker 2: A bottled water that is labeled bigfoot piece, I can't treat that.
Speaker 4: Not really a big.
Speaker 2: He's well hydrated. It's well hydrated, big got clear with.
Speaker 5: Stabilized oxygen clearing coy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what what a fantastic delicious I know that we're all looking forward to seeing the documentary, of course, and and you bing in it. It just makes it all the better because you are.
Speaker 5: Bear and makeup, pair and makeup, because.
Speaker 2: You have the by far, the most popular episode of our podcast.
Speaker 5: No way, that is impossible. Okay, So the Elk Hunter.
Speaker 2: Number one number, okay's my He's.
Speaker 5: My second, second to Kathy Strain. I still have yet to meet her. She's my hero. I can't wait, you know, I need to. I got to figure it out. Both Californians.
Speaker 2: And she's doun in like Santa swas national for US for the Forest Service.
Speaker 5: You can get old her and then yeah, I've gotten a hold of her, but I just busy mom and almost done moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So how what was the moon conditions, the lighting conditions at night when you were when you're up there, when we went back out there, what was the conditions like? Was it sooner the light the moonlight?
Speaker 5: It was not. It was dark and we had been up there. Yeah, and let's see, I think it was pretty slivery of a moon. In fact, it was a little let's see, it was wax on. It was waxing. It was waxing by less than a quarter Okay, so yeah, it was still a sliver and it was very dark, and it was following a heat wave that that whole and I think Oregon experienced this whole heat wave the week before, and so it was this cooling trend that had come in.
Speaker 3: So it was actually kind of cold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, burr by the way summer come on. And yeah, so it was kind of it was cool. And so I'm out there with less shroud, survivor man, and I forgot my knife and a jacket like jacket jacket was a jacket. Yeah, No, I had a little wool a little wool piece that I love that's super warm.
Speaker 4: I couldn't even kill a deer and make a hide.
Speaker 5: I could have killed it. Yeah, I couldn't make it hi jacket and so but then the him and his camera crew, they were like, you're not going to bring a tent. I was like, well, I wasn't going to, and they're like, I think it might rain out there. Sure enough, it rained a little bit, but not much, so I had to carry my whole tent the poles like rainfly. And so then I figured, well, if it really comes down, I'll just put the rain fly over me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Don't you have a bad hipper knee or something to you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, I when I hiked twenty eight years ago, I went so far that I had blown out my knee, okay, and so towards the second half of that trip, I was limping. But I have pretty strong knees. I have pretty good hips and a back. But I blew out my shoulder three years ago. Right after actually I went back to this, tried to get out to my spot with my friend like two weeks after that, we went rafting, and I blew my entire wing connection and I broke it and I tore all ligaments I tore the nerve. I snapped my entire arm back all the way. So that was a three year ago injury.
Speaker 4: How was that ride in the hospital?
Speaker 1: It was, Well, it was a mile or it was an hour down river first and on the on the.
Speaker 5: Raft shot and I'm our salty old raft guide of the family, and I look up and I'm in the river and I look up at Greg and he says, are you okay? And I was like, I think you're gonna have to guide us out of here. And that's all I could think of, was like, you know, guiding the raft and I was down in the cold water, and I just wanted to sink down my left arm and shoulder down to the bottom of the river because it was ice. That was terrible. Yeah, but other than that, no, I'm pretty pretty strong.
Speaker 4: Here's a slave drove me up there, like sixteen mile high.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He didn't have any mules to carry my my stuff, or a ferrari or a limo ride or a helicopter come on, no, no helicopter ride. It was it was. It was a full epic hike and we walked all the way in there, and I was surprised that we made it all the way out there. I didn't. I really didn't foresee that happening, and it was awesome.
Speaker 4: Didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I even told I'm like, I don't think we're going to make it out to my spot, but we're going to go out there and see what happens. And so it was pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 5: I took tons of photos.
Speaker 4: And a couple of those from you so we could put them on the package. Yeah, because I know people be excited to see that, because I mean, I've never seen exactly where it was, and it's different. You should be. The pictures like not what I expected, but similar but not what I expected exactly, and it was really nice to see. I love seeing the photos when we're something that took. When you're the story, you want to know what it looks like.
Speaker 5: It's changed. The landscape has even more brushy now, No, it was less brushy. The trees down in the tree pockets were they were beautiful and big and green. But down below there was really cool fire behavior and some like moderate fires that had moved through there. And that's part of My industry is forestry, but the fire ecology part of it. So want moderate fire, yeah, and you want moderate fire. And so there was like the most perfect fire that was down at the bottom. So I got to geek out on that on our way up. And then when we got up there, I noticed that in the rockier, drier parts a lot of the trees had had died. There was quite a bit of tree mortality. And it is drier, you know, it's it's the whole change in weather in whatever way you want to perceive that. There's there's different patterns. And what I've noticed is, you know, it's it's wetter and more intense. But then the dryer spells are drier and more intense in that way, and that has a big impact on tree growth because you can't irrigate forests and so when when the forest landscapes dry out in those cycles, they really have an impact. So but it was just phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Two days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we camped for two nights.
Speaker 4: Did pheromones or anything or to do anything, attract.
Speaker 5: Anything or well I did. I left a secret fruit bait at the vehicle and I really wanted something to come and take the I had a half eaten nectarine, and I forget why I didn't want to fish finish the nectary. I was like full or something, and then I had another nectarine. I was like, I can't hike a nectarine out with lesh trout, and so anyways, I left him right next to the vehicle, but then they were there when I got back.
Speaker 4: Do you have any pheromones or anything with them? Or do you cook bacon all night?
Speaker 5: Or no?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: Less was like, we're hiking light and he's like, I might bring like a sandwich out there, and like a couple bars. I'm like, okay, So I packed a sandwich and by that night of the huge hike, none of the guys had any food. So I shared my soggy sandwich with them and we were all like, oh my gosh, this is the best sandwich ever. I'm like, I thought you guys were hiking a sandwich out like what the heck? So we didn't have much. The songbirds were amazing. I recorded so many birds on my Merlin app.
Speaker 4: But yep, did you ever get into contact of that native guy? You just got to listen to the meeting calls?
Speaker 2: He said, no.
Speaker 5: That was so that was shortly after that was within the week right after my experience, and so what happened there was right after I got done with my solo hike, my backpacking trip, I went to go meet a group of girlfriends to go climb Mount Shasta, and the day before the with my blown out kneet. So, needless to say, I started that hike with my friends and I did not make it and they had to leave me on Mount Shasta. Well in between meeting them, because I didn't have a car, so I was hitch hiking and I took a bus. I hitchhiked to the main campground at Mount Shasta, which was Bunny Flat. This is a crazy story. So I'm you know, I'm young, but I'm not like real in the WU crowd and you know, the big and you know, I love all the hippie music and all that kind of stuff. But this these guys were legit hippies, and so they said, hey, you want to come with us too. I said, well, I'm trying to get to Bunny Flat and they said, oh, well, we're having a full moon healing circle at Bunny Flat. And I'm like, what's a full moon healing circle? Well, sure enough, when we got there, I like set up my little camp over in my corner, and they had close to one hundred people come from all over the world and they circled up and held hands and like prayed for healing. So I'm walking around and then it turned into a drum circle and a party, and so I'm walking around this. So I'm walking around this party and it's getting dark and the full moon's coming up, and it was on the other side of Mount Shasta, and I remember these guys were saying, they were like, well, where's the moon, Like when's the moon gonna come up? And I was like, hey, I know where we can see the moon. And we went walked up to this little ridge and sure enough, you could see the moon rise and it was one of those moon rises where it was just the entire horizon. It was a huge moon and it was just on the other side of the little ridge. So we're walking back and this lady sees me limping and she said to me, she was like, hey, you look like you're limping, Like, do you want me to I do reiki? Do you want me to rub your knee and do reiki on your knee? And I was like, sure, that sounds great. So she's rubbing my knee and I'm just sitting there thinking, all this feels really good, and she says, there's like something about you. She's like, you know, how'd you hurt your knee? What's going on with you? That's kind of what I remember her saying. She's just like, something's going on with you. And I just looked at her and I was like, this really weird thing happened to me out there. I was on this hiking trip. I remember exactly what I said, but I'm like, I was out on this hiking trip and this thing came through my camp one night and it went up past me. It was huge, and it went up past me and it hauled. And I don't think I explained her like it was a grilla, it was an ape like creature. I just said it was humongous and strong, and it was howling, and it passed right by me and went up behind me and made this call all through the night until sunrise. And she plainly, matter of fact, we stopped rubbing my knee and looked at me and she said, I'm Kadouk Indian, and my father has been recording the Sasquatches up at the tops of peaks in full moons for many years. And he goes out to Medicine Lake and you know, Little Shasta and in the Mount Shasta area, and he's been to that area and the marbles and he records those and I think what you heard was a sasquatch doing a mating call.
Speaker 4: I tried to find that guy. I could never find him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wouldn't have a clue, right, And this was back before the you know, it was like at probably at the start of the Internet, like maybe I had email, but there I certainly wasn't googling. Could a medicine man recording sasquatch mating calls? Like there's a Google search. The other thing that this ties into is so less. And I had a really nice connection, like just I think scientifically, like he and I really had some good chats and he was asking a lot of really great, thoughtful questions. And I found him to be really intelligent and well versed and researched, and I thought it was a really smart guy. So he was I forget what, no, I asked him. Oh that's the other thing about him, is he he was not chatty kathy like me. And there were a couple points where I could tell he was like getting a little bit irritated with me. He was like, was this lady ever gonna shut up?
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about that, so anyways, so so.
Speaker 5: So then I asked him at one point, I was like, so, Les, I'm like, where are you on the point of you know, how many? How many of these critters do you think are out there in the world, I said, because I am of the thought that there really aren't very many, and that potentially there's there they would could be considered endangered. And I think that they're on the decline in their population, at least certainly of what they would have been let's say, one hundred years ago, one hundred and fifty years ago. And he and I got into this whole sort of thought train, and he was like, why do you think that? And he said, I'm of more of the thought of he said, ask Cliff about this. He said, because I think that actually their population is probably fairly steady and maybe grown, and actually they have figured out where to live away from our human impact. And so then later that night we were sitting out where we had camped. There's this rock outcropping and it is marble, and there's marble pieces in there. It's really cool. And you can see the whole watershed below of where where that thing had come from the night that I was there, you know, prior twenty eight years ago. And so I was sitting there and I was just introspective of that question that I had asked less earlier, and I was like, huh, And I was just thinking, and I was looking down the watershed and I was looking up to the peak where the thing had made the call, and I was like, Okay, so there's either I could see like fifteen to twenty individuals in this water shed or zero. And I was like, well, maybe less in cliff are right, and maybe there's twenty to thirty individuals in this watershed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's probably too many.
Speaker 3: That's too many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I kind of like one hundred and one bear. The big foot thing is easy to ass you know, but Meldrum always had as one hundred and fifty to two hundred. I think that's little on the on the sparse side.
Speaker 5: One hundred one hundred bear per.
Speaker 2: Bigfoot air pick. Yeah, And it's like for Oregon there's about thirty five thousand thirty to thirty five thousand black bear right now, Okay, about three hundred hundred and fifty big foot sounds about right kind of to me, Okay, but I wouldn't I wouldn't be too surprised if there's five hundred or right, maybe a little maybe that feels a little high to speak, but maybe that might be. We don't really know enough, And unfortunately, the Bigfoot community doesn't seem interested in collecting the kind of data that would tell us. And I fought the Bigfoot community with it because they're mostly interested in spooky sighting reports that scared them. But that's a human thing, because we've been telling stories around the campfire for three hundred thousand years or more, right, So they're interested in the like make me scared stuff. They're not interested in footprints and and saying what which individuals are identifiable in the footprint data set, which is what I'm interested in doing, you know. But I think three hundred to maybe six hundred for organs seems kind of reasonable because they don't inhabit the land. As far as I can tell, they don't inhabit the land uniformly. You know, it's not a thin blanket.
Speaker 4: Of these things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're cohorts.
Speaker 2: Is that what this?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you get a pocket or a grouping that's considered a cohort. A cohort though in the science term, it takes into account mating individuals, so interaction on a reproductive scale, So a cohort is not there's families, So let's take two families they come together. Now they're a cohort.
Speaker 2: Well, I see, yeah, I wouldn't be. That sounds like a reasonable model for them. Because the research area that I have been studying, I'm finding mostly a small individual like a twelve inch foot. Until last year, year before, I would usually about thirty and usually bigfoot is a different number, but usually about thirty to fifty percent of the time find a fourteen inch nearby. Sometimes at the same place, but within a couple of hundred yards, I find a fourteen inch track, and then every once in a while like a larger one fifteen and a half or so. Although this past year I found a seventeen in my area that I've never seen before, but I have found a seventeen in an adjacent area about eight miles away away might be the same one, but there wasn't enough detail in the track to tell so, but again I don't know. I mean, if that could be, it's a kind of a different watershed. This watershed could have a different seventeen than this one, right, you know what I mean? But I just don't know that. Well, we need a clear tracks. But again there's not enough data and unfortunately the bigfooters don't seem to be interested in quite so we have to kind of wait until the professionals getting all and to start both of these things more. Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 5: And honestly, being on the podcast with you guys reinvigorated my interest in it. For so long I had gone, I mean that was okay, So that was twenty twenty and my incident happened in nineteen ninety eight, and for all of those years, I mean, Greg was one of my early believers, like right off the bat, and I was like, oh, I'm going to marry this guy.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: Well, early on I saw in the down there and I just sent a picture to my brother. We were watching the Legend of Boggy Creek. I was like eight years old. I was rad and I was like like, yeah, you got it in here picture.
Speaker 2: I've got the autograph of the guy in the suit.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's awesome. Yeah yeah. So early on when she told me the story, I'm like, yeah, he's a keeper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's totally Even.
Speaker 5: His brother doesn't believe me.
Speaker 2: He does, he does.
Speaker 5: I didn't think.
Speaker 2: That's one in the.
Speaker 4: Podcast bringing some fubbles together and apart.
Speaker 5: But I know, yeah, so so for so many years, I you know, so my dad I told pretty soon after I remembered that recently, I didn't really tell anyone the one lady the week of when it happened. After that, I didn't tell very many people, if anyone, for a while, and then like slowly over the years, I would kind of start to dabble in telling my experience with friends, and everyone was just ridicule and say, oh my gosh, like you are crazy that that even happened, that you're even saying that, Like don't you think it was a bear, or don't you think that you were dreaming or whatever? And you know, people just very rarely believed me, and.
Speaker 2: Children always make fun of things they don't understand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So then when you well first of all, Bob, but when you called me that very first time, I was just freaking out. I'm like, I called Greg. I'm like, you'll never believe I just called me. He goes, We'll get off the phone call him back. And so that was before the podcast interview, and since the interview and Your Guys' podcast has totally reinvigorated my own interest in what it was that I saw and what came through that night, and and I've really been digging in and then and then it was sort of reinstated after I went back, tried to get back out there with my friend a few years ago, and then this connection with Les Stroud and now now I'm ready.
Speaker 4: So after you were on the pologe you ever have anything coach you like that of conference or work or anything. I've ever bring it up Bigfoot.
Speaker 5: Like I, Well, I have one friend. He's a young guy. He lives here in Oregon, and he was already listening to the podcast by then, and so then he and I connected. He was like, was that you? And then it got around the office and here I am working for one of the biggest forestry firms in Oregon and California in the nation. And yeah, so word quickly got out professionally, but you know, it was fine because it's like people can be skept and I know what I saw that night, and I know what I experienced more than anything. I know that it was over the course of hours. I know the intensity, I know the noise that it made. And so then you know, hearing going back to Shane Corson and how he categorizes the vocalizations was just so riveting to me because because that's what I heard, was the long howl and the grunt and the you know when it when it stuttered and moved and noticed me. All of that I've been able to reflect on and then going back there this past couple of weeks was so affirming and wonderful and it was exactly what happened and what I remembered.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: We also shared the podcast with a lot of friends that you know, tried to explain it to and told it to in summer y and wouldn't listen. You know, it's great. I mean, yeah, we've told everything and everybody who's listened to it is just like, wow, it was a great story and there's an appreciation I think for Sarah that's different exactly they really understood before. It's like, okay, you saw something whatever.
Speaker 4: She can you figure there when she tells it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah you do. It's really good.
Speaker 2: Why she's number one, number one?
Speaker 4: You show that's wrong that Pete did for you or filled you Yeah, Sarah crowd when when we started finishing it.
Speaker 5: Right, it is about right. The only thing about that sketch that I am like, what is the abs? The full six pack? Yeah, I'm like, I don't know if I noticed a six pack, but what I fully remembered is the silhouette right here and the rump, muscles, the quads, the calf, the foot, the long arm, the shoulder right here in this whole shoulder connection, and definitely the long arms because when it came up running over that the crest of the cliff, and it was coming up where it sloped out is right when it passed right where I was, which I didn't really get to show you a good picture of that on the slash with Less is yeah, Less went down and then walked up right where I think it.
Speaker 4: Was and it was confirmed estimate it No, it was.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like it was huge, Like I don't think it was much more than six and a half seven feet. But so that's my point is right when it passed me and it did that whole thing where it's paused and sort of stuttered and went like this, and I just remember this motion with the arm where it took off and it used its arms. It went and pulled itself to yes, all fours as it was coming up and over as it was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like it was running and I remember it, and now it could have appeared, you know, six and a half seven feet tall, because it was like crouching and running and then it stopped and that's when it did this thing where it went.
Speaker 5: And I just remember this. I remember this motion of like, yeah, this whole swinging this what would you call this, this pendulation of the shoulder it and that arm dropped and it pulled itself with its hands to project its self and its body and just hall ass. And I think, honestly, I think it was startled and somewhat scared of me in that moment. I don't know about scared, but like startled surprise. And that's when it really took off. And I remember that whole left side silhouette like clear as it's burned in my Brain.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: And now enjoy the original interview with Sarah, released May fifth of twenty twenty, episode fifty five, A Terrifying Night in the Marble Mountains.
Speaker 2: Hi, Bobo, how you doing, man?
Speaker 4: Good man?
Speaker 6: I got us a special guest today.
Speaker 2: You've been talking about this guest for a little while and you haven't told me who it is or anything like that, so I'm kind of excited to learn a little bit about it.
Speaker 8: Well, you don't recognize the report, I'm sure Sarah. She as a female backpacker back in the late nineties. You had a incredible encounter up in the Marble Mountains.
Speaker 6: I'll let her tell the story, but you will recognize that, I promise.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, fantastical. Let's bring her on.
Speaker 6: Sarah, Welcome on board. This is Cliff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, I don't want to confuse you, Sarah. That was actually Bobo who said that. But I understand I get us mixed up sometimes too. But yeah, I'm Cliff. It's nice to meet you, Sarah.
Speaker 9: Nice to meet you too.
Speaker 5: Cliff and Bobo's voice is unmistakable, So thank you both for having me.
Speaker 2: His voice is like the grumbling of a volcano before it belches.
Speaker 6: So yeah, Sarah's report.
Speaker 8: They tried to get a hold of her for finding Bigfoot, but I couldn't track her down. I thought, there's a fun over here. It's like twenty three years old. I'll try it anyways, and I try it. She still had the same number.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, And she's not just your.
Speaker 8: Average witness, She's got full accreditations. Can you tell us a little about your your background, Sara, I, then you're going to your story.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, A little bit about my background is I grew up in California in the Bay Area, and my dad and I were avid outdoors people, and he taught me how to fish and hike and a little.
Speaker 9: Bit of backpacking.
Speaker 5: And then when I went to college in the nineties up at Chico State, I really became an avid backpacker.
Speaker 9: So I sort of followed this path that maybe.
Speaker 5: My career would be in the natural resources and outdoor sciences. And I had worked in the summer of ninety six for the Klamath National Forest, and so I learned.
Speaker 9: A lot about that area. And so the following summer.
Speaker 5: I was going to summer school, and I wanted to plan out a big one hundred mile solo hike, and so I did that. And not to get too far into the story, I did eventually obtain a science degree and actually my forester's license here in California. So I'm a registered professional forester. I live in northern California.
Speaker 2: And that is that the way you make your living today?
Speaker 5: Still, Yeah, I'm a I'm an active licensed forester. I do a lot of wildfire safety planning.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 2: Okay, very good. So and so you had an encounter at one point with a sasquatch. What what's the context of that? Like, what were you doing at the time? And it was that on that one hundred mile trek that you just mentioned.
Speaker 9: That's correct.
Speaker 5: It was the second night in Oh wow, yeah.
Speaker 6: So Sarah, where you can't what was the physical location?
Speaker 5: So I was the second night in on ae hundred mile backpacking trip, and I had hiked a fair amount the first day and then I noticed on my map that there was this lake that I wanted to try and get to.
Speaker 9: So I made it to the lake.
Speaker 5: Within the late afternoon evening the second day, and then just beyond the lake. Although the lake was beautiful, it was a little bit smaller than I had imagined.
Speaker 9: And just beyond the.
Speaker 5: Lake I could kind of catch a glimpse of what looked like a big rock out cropping, and so I continued onto that, and when I got there, it was like this football field of a flat escarpment, this big rock, solid rock field, which, now, knowing what I know about the area, I believe was a large marble escarpment. And so I wanted a camp there that night.
Speaker 2: So you set up camp on this outcropping, I guess, And did the encounter happened during the day at night? Like, how did the whole thing begin?
Speaker 9: So I didn't bring a tent on the trip.
Speaker 5: It was hot and it was forecasted to be very hot for the whole time. In fact, along the trip I had left articles of clothing like a rain jacket and a few things where I was like, I'm not going to need these things, and you know, lighten my load if I'm actually going to make it through this trip.
Speaker 9: So I didn't have a tent, and so when I got.
Speaker 5: To the the site that I wanted to camp at, I set up my bag, my sleeping bag, and you know, my backpack and kind of unpacked.
Speaker 9: A little bit right there. And I knew that I was going.
Speaker 5: To encounter a bear or two, or however many, and I was pretty concerned about bears on the trip, and so I packed up all my food stuff and my stove and hiked way over to the far side of the.
Speaker 9: Escarpment and cooked my dinner.
Speaker 5: I was pretty crashed out and wanted to go to bed, and it was kind of early, it was maybe just dusk, so late August, and I was starting to get dark, and I'm laying there in my bed and I fell asleep and I was I was sleeping hard, and I woke up in the middle of the night to a sound. It was really far away and very faint, and I could hear it, and at first I thought it's probably an owl. It kept going and I was kind of trying to go back to sleep, and the way that I was situated on the escarpment with my sleeping bag, I was basically feet facing down this canyon or ravine, and it was a big canyon. So I keep hearing the noise and now reminding you, this was twenty three years ago, and so I'm remembering this right now as I tell you guys what happened. So what I was hearing was repetitive and it just didn't stop. It was still faint and very far away, but it was repetitive. So then I thought, after I thought maybe it was an owl and I was just going to go back to sleep. Then I thought, well, maybe it's a bugling elk. And so I was laying there and sure enough it continued without pause, and it was over and over and over again of what I originally called this inward howl. And it was one after the next, and I will tell you that it started to grow just slightly louder. And so then I started thinking to myself, Okay, probably not an owl, maybe not a bugling elk. I did think maybe this was a mountain lion. And then eventually I ended up having some scary thoughts that maybe it was a man or a person really a man that was crazy or or drunk way down in the bottom of a wilderness canyon. And I have to be honest, that thought immediately went away because of the unlikelihood of that, and all along it kept going. And so now I'm in my mind going, what in the world is that, And it's getting louder, and it keeps going, and it's clearly running and howling up the creek down at the bottom of this canyon that I'm sleeping up above. And so I thought, okay, whatever, it is, no problem. I'm way up here at the top of this canyon and really at the base of a peak, so.
Speaker 9: There's nothing that can get up here.
Speaker 5: And earlier in the night, when it was still light, I had definitely looked over the canyon a bunch, and so I knew that I was right over like a short cliff base with a big screen field down below and then the ravine, and it was huge. I mean, the relief in those canyons can easily be two thousand feet. So as it started to get louder and louder and clearly running and calling or doing whatever it was doing, crying or for ever you want to call it, all the way up and repetitively, I started thinking, this thing is running up the canyon and is running to.
Speaker 9: The boulder field the screen pile down below.
Speaker 5: So then I kind of thought, well, that'll surely stop.
Speaker 9: It in its tracks.
Speaker 5: And so the time period is a little bit foggy in my recollection. In all honesty, I think that it was probably about forty five minutes of hearing it down in the creek bottom in the ravine until it got to what was the boulder field down below, and when it got to the boulder field again continuously howling or inward howling. At that point I could start to hear it. I could start to hear clearly that there was something running and frankly hauling ass and it was going fast through this boulder field, carrying you know, running and sort of carrying its body. And I could just start to make out rocks moving, but just faintly. Obviously at this point it was much louder. It was right below me by two hundred feet. It started, you know, kind of propelling itself up what was the boulder field. I'm scared, you guys. I was so scared. I didn't know anything. I didn't know what it was. I didn't know if it was coming for me. I just was laying there as scared as you can imagine, completely breathless, completely motionless, and thinking, Okay, it's going to get to the bottom of the cliff, and there's no way any bugling elk or crazy person or whatever could climb up that cliff, and I, being an outdoors person in adventure, I was familiar with rock climbing a little bit. At that point. I went on to do some more rock climbing, but I knew that no one could climb that without ropes. It was easily a five to nine maybe a five eight pitch. It would have been a crumbly, very steep cliff face, and it was at least fifty feet tall, if not, I don't know, seventy feet seventy five feet. Sure enough, the thing started and you could hear it pulling itself and climbing up the cliff. And it was really interesting because when it got to the bottom and started the climbing was the first that it had taken a real break from the howling or the whooping, and so it sort of caught its breath, and it had some that I could hear, some grunts and some slight pitches, but not the repetitious whoops that.
Speaker 9: Later in the call. I can describe to you guys what I heard.
Speaker 5: But anyways, things started climbing up the cliff, and I'm at the very top of it, and I'm just off to the side of what was a little creek that sort of defined the escarpment and the cliff and then down.
Speaker 9: Into the ravine. It was just off to.
Speaker 5: Sort of the river right side of that little creek or brook that was really more of ice melt from the peak above. By about I don't know if I was fifteen feet or thirty feet, but I was right in there, fifteen to thirty feet off the side of that little creek that wouldn't have been more than a foot or two wide.
Speaker 9: So I just kept laying in.
Speaker 5: My bag and essentially praying that I wasn't coming to get gobbled up. It continued to climb successfully and pretty quickly, and when it got to the top of the cliff, it was so amazing. The thing just pulled itself up and over. It just used whatever arms it had and hoisted itself up and almost like it jumped up and over the top.
Speaker 2: So at that moment you put your eyes on it, you could actually see the thing that you've been listening to for the last forty five minutes at that point, that's correct.
Speaker 9: And there was moonlight.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to move my eyes, I didn't want to move anything. I didn't want to breathe, I didn't want to move my eyes or my head, but instinct I had to.
Speaker 9: I had to see.
Speaker 5: What was you coming for me or whatever? And it wasn't coming for me, I'll tell you that now. But nevertheless, my eyes just went slowly and steadily to the left and right. Then it started up as if it was going to start running again, and took a big breath and sort of hesitated and stopped just for a split second and looked looked at me, and I looked at it, and the only thing that I can describe of what I saw was similar to a gorilla.
Speaker 9: I think I scared the crap out of it. Honestly.
Speaker 5: I think that it was at that moment just as scared as I was, and realized it wasn't alone thinking that it was, and I still didn't move and was extremely frightened, if not on the verge of a heart attack.
Speaker 6: That's how I am right now.
Speaker 5: And at that point, so it looks to the left over, you know, so we're facing opposite directions, so we both just barely look to our left, and as soon as it notices that there's someone or something else right there, it just stands up.
Speaker 9: And howls and takes off so fast.
Speaker 5: Anyways, it took off and was at the base of that peak in probably ten minutes, maybe fifteen minutes, and then it continued to climb up that peak, doing the howl, the travel howl for another only like twenty or thirty minutes. And I'm still laying in my bag, just as scared as can be. And it stayed up there for hours and hours until almost sunrise, and it called the whole time as loud as you can imagine, consistently, one after the other, and just stayed there, calling out.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back. After these messages, you said that when it saw you, what it noticed you up there, it let out a how, and then a moment later you referred to a traveling howl. So that vocalization that it emitted when it saw you was different than the other ones.
Speaker 9: It was like a it was more of a grunt.
Speaker 5: It was more of like the grunt that I was hearing when it was climbing, and it was like a but it was like a hiccup.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, okay, And then that's the practice, I did the same. Yeah, I get it. So the howl, the travel howl, that remained pretty consistent from when you first started hearing it to when it reached the top of the mountain of forty five minutes an hour or so later.
Speaker 9: It was notably consistent and methodical.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, to describe that howl, I'm curious what that was like. It was a whoop along howl, a scream, high pitched, low pitch. The frequency, what can you tell us about that?
Speaker 5: So I've always described it to my closest confidants as an inward howl or an inward drawl. And it had a fairly high but medium high pitch, and it was it was created, it would be created in drawing the lungs in and so the travel or running how how.
Speaker 9: That's what I'm calling it would be like.
Speaker 2: Wow. So that kind of frequency, like, that's how often that happened. And that's the approximately the length of the vocalization you heard as well.
Speaker 5: From when the moment I heard it until it got to the bottom of the cliff field or excuse me that the cliff in the rock field, it was consistent and just like that wow. And so that was probably close to an hour and a half, maybe two hours of hearing that.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I had the timeline a little off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, so what I was saying is it was probably close to forty five minutes down in the bottom of the ravine, so kind of the flat area, and then another say twenty five maybe forty minutes through the rock field. And crazy enough, I want to say that it climbed that cliff in like five minutes. It was fast, maybe it was ten, but really I think it was a total of from the time I started hearing it to the time it got to me my location was an hour.
Speaker 2: And a half. And that's in real person time, not the I'm getting the crap scared out of me alone in the Marble Mountains time. Imagine it felt like an eternity for you.
Speaker 5: Felt like an eternity for sure, and to this day, I really I do struggle with putting some real time to that.
Speaker 8: But I bet was that the solo extended backpacking trip.
Speaker 5: I don't think it was Bobo no, And I continued on the trip.
Speaker 9: I actually had a goal.
Speaker 5: I was going to try and go off route and go in to the wilderness off trail, but I really couldn't find my way with just wayfinding, and I did not want to get lost, and I knew my dad would kill me if I got lost, So I went back to the trail and continued on and carried out a full It was actually ninety eight mile trips.
Speaker 2: That must have changed something with you on that trip, Like that's the second day in on a hundred mile trip that that certainly must have planted some sort of seed in you. For the rest of the trip, just thinking like, holy crap, those things are out here.
Speaker 5: Those things were out there, and I knew that, but I was in such shock that I put it in the depths of my mind. I was so focused on doing this trip, hello type A, that I just I wanted to do the trip. It was a huge goal for me that whole year, and I just I didn't want to let it go because of this creature that came through my camp.
Speaker 2: Were they on your radar before that trip? I mean, obviously of course you were aware of sasquatches, but like, did you think they were real? Did you think that they're just like a normal forest sort of thing out there that I could run into?
Speaker 5: Oka very much on my radar, by then, because the summer before is when I worked for the FEDS and spent my summer up in the Klamath the whole time, and I'd heard stories and I read that great book about the bio biodiversity of the sisq.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know what you're talking about, and they mentioned it the klimathk Not.
Speaker 9: Is that it the Klamath Knot? That's it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, good one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So they were just barely in my mind. So that year that I was working for the FEDS, we were doing a survey. We were doing a recreational user survey, and I actually ended up interviewing this group of cave expeditioners that were heading into the Marbles and they were going to try and do some mapping of the caves. And they had mentioned at that interview, you know, yeah, there's there's caves out there, and and we think that that that is habitat and home to some of the Sasquatch and possibly last remaining Sasquatch on the planet. And at the time, I mean I was even a year younger then, So when I was eighteen, I kind of was like, huh, okay, marked that one in the books. And so I mean, I knew that there was the concept of these things being out there. And like I said, you know, I grew up as an outdoors person with my dad, but nothing like what I had actually experienced.
Speaker 8: And you had on your one the year before, You've been an interesting observation.
Speaker 6: You thought that it sounded.
Speaker 4: Like I was wounded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the reason why I was turned on to the book the Klamath Not was I met an individual out there and I myself and my partner, my working partner, who I wish I could get a hold of, but I have no idea how to get a hold.
Speaker 9: Of this person.
Speaker 5: Anyways, he and I both had this creature through our camp late one night, and it was it was like limping and dragging a foot, so it was like and it was doing this same kind of almost like a howl or howl or a whoop, but it was more of a cry and it cried out and it was just parallel to us. And that was right there on the Klamath River, and it was parallel to us, and it was it was seemingly injured just by the sound, but we couldn't see it. We were shining our flashlights up there. We couldn't see anything, and then it just stopped. There was nothing for like probably ten minutes, and then there was a splash in the river and we think that it jumped in the river and swam off.
Speaker 2: Oh so you had an entirely different encounter the year before during that when you're working for the FEDS. Is that what I'm getting right?
Speaker 9: Right? Okay, right, but I mean hearing.
Speaker 5: An supposed injured sasquatch, Yeah, was pretty far from.
Speaker 9: My fathom ability.
Speaker 5: And then so, yeah, you're right, Cliff, there was somewhere in the back of my mind where I was aware that these creatures possibly existed, and so on the rest of my trip.
Speaker 9: I just kind of I really put it.
Speaker 5: I put it in the back of my mind and ended up coming into, uh, within three feet of a huge black bear.
Speaker 9: And that had me more.
Speaker 5: Concerned than yeah than the first the first guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I got to ask ad you happen to look around your campsite for footprints the next morning where the thing walked through your camp Definitely.
Speaker 5: I packed up and looked around, and I was on I was on a rock face.
Speaker 9: There was nothing, nothing.
Speaker 5: And the and the summer before when the alleged injured one came through. We looked for footprints in the It was one of those spots on the river where it's really rocky, but then there's those perfect fine sand, little sand beaches and we couldn't see anything, no tracks.
Speaker 8: Okay, you know what's interesting was that you guys got the census thing was asking you for help in the first Yes.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, sorry, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me about that because Bubbo knows a lot more about your encounter than I do, so I don't know anything, so laid on me.
Speaker 5: Okay, well it okay, I'll tell that story from the beginning.
Speaker 9: That one.
Speaker 5: I guess I've always had a harder time with that one because I didn't see it.
Speaker 9: I only heard it. But I'll tell you all about it.
Speaker 5: So my work partner and I we were, you know, working for the FED, so we were out camping. It was a total internship and making no money.
Speaker 9: It was great, but.
Speaker 5: We were We would find all these different places to camp and this one spot was like this old this like old road river access and we took the cars down there and we were.
Speaker 9: Like, hey, I think this would be a good spot to sleep.
Speaker 5: So we ate some food at our cars, and then we you know, gathered up our bags and just plopped them down on the river, and we each we each kind of grabbed one of those little sandy beach spots like that was our own little camp site. And so he was easily twenty feet away from me, my buddy. And so we went to sleep, and I had I was again no tent, but I'm in my sleeping bag, and I had all my belongings or me, you know, my journal.
Speaker 9: My book, my headlamp, and I had a knife.
Speaker 5: So we go to sleep, and I was at that time, I was asleep too, and I wake up to the sound of this step drag, step drag through what was like oak, oak tree.
Speaker 9: Litter or duff. And it went on for a while.
Speaker 5: It was down the way a bit, and it just kept getting closer up towards us, and all we could hear was step drag, step drag, and it stopped right above us, and it cried, and it was like, you know that one that one I want. I'll embarrass myself if I try to mimic it. But it was this this cry for help is what it seemed like. And we were flashing our lights up there. We couldn't see anything, and I eventually I put my light down and I was just gripping my knife, but I sort of let down my guard because I'm like and I even said over to Ben, I go, Ben.
Speaker 9: What is it?
Speaker 5: And by then I sort of let my guard down because it was almost like a emotional It wasn't threatening. And we just sat there for a little while it all stopped, and I'll.
Speaker 9: Be honest, I fell asleep.
Speaker 5: I fell asleep, and I woke up to the splash, the sound of the splash of the river.
Speaker 8: It's draining when you're when you're in a tense situation like that, like and your adrenaline is pumping for hours, it's so so like it's just drained your whole body.
Speaker 9: No kidding.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so I sometimes get em bare on that one that I'm like, yeah, I passed out. I just plumb passed out because I was just like, what in the heck?
Speaker 9: And and we both did.
Speaker 5: We both passed out cold, So it could have, you know, come right past us. And we looked for we looked for any kind of tracks in the dusk. The next day, where it was walking on the beach in the sand, all around and it didn't see anything.
Speaker 2: Well, we thought for a long time they're probably pretty aware of their footprints, so that's not too surprising. I guess at the end of the day, I want to ask you a little bit about the what you actually visually observed, you know, so fast forward a year. I guess from that that the Olympia encounter, you said that it looked like a gorilla. Can you describe what you saw from the top of the head down to wherever you lost it, you know, to steep presumably, So.
Speaker 5: From the top of the head it had a big blackish brown, squatty head, a big face. I still did the stake and look right into its eyes, big eyes, big bright eyes, kind of a flat face. And the way that it turned its neck, it's like it had no neck, and it just turned completely to the side, almost without moving its shoulders. And the shoulders were very broad and wide and huge and draping down with these large arms, kind of in a forward motion. So it had just climbed itself up and over this rock face, and at that point it sort of stopped and was about to propel itself to take.
Speaker 9: Off for the mountain.
Speaker 5: When I think it realized that it was not alone.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 5: So it sort of hunched forward, almost like startled. Shoulders come forward, just slightly turning, but the neck turns completely like ninety degrees over towards me, and then down the whole back. I can see its rump and just black blackish brown fur the whole way down into the legs, muscular legs. I can picture it right now. I mean I saw muscles. The thing was huge and ripped and broad and covered in her So it.
Speaker 2: Must have been a pretty good moon out. You said that earlier, but.
Speaker 5: I believe it was like a few days prior to a full moon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then on a rock escarpment. Of course, that reflects. And you know, I've done a lot of backpacking in the Sierras, for example, and camping on those granite faces. It almost is like daylight under good moon conditions. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and my eyes were just cranked in that direction. I didn't move my body at all, so you know, all I could see was what my eyes could see in a slightly turned and really periphery.
Speaker 9: But I saw it. That's what I saw.
Speaker 2: You might have said this in your initial description, but refreshing my memory if you did. How far away were you from it from where it came up over the cliff and when it first noticed you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I was on one side of the creek anywhere between, you know, fifteen twenty feet maybe thirty at the most. And it was just on the other side of that little creek or brook by like five or ten feet.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're within like forty fifty feet up from the thing.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I think that I was within thirty feet.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Yeah, that's horribly close.
Speaker 5: I'm a forester. I know what thirty feet is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, most people don't, honestly, and I don't, and I don't want to slam people or anything, but people are just terrible at distances. I'm sure. Because you're a forester, you depend on your estimation of distances for a lot of what you do, you know, planting trees or whatever. I don't know. There's probably a million things you do that I have no idea about, but I have the layman say, oh, it was ten feet for me, then that's like Okay, well, maybe that's fifty, maybe that's thirty. You know, don't really know, but you're confident in your ability to judge distances at.
Speaker 5: This point, right, Yeah, And I've relived the experience in my mind enough and now knowing what thirty feet is, confidently that's.
Speaker 9: That's always the number I come back to.
Speaker 5: And I'm looking at thirty feet away from you right now, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yep, yeah, it was horrifically close, you know, thirty feet ten yards. That's ridiculous, and.
Speaker 5: So honestly, I don't know that it so it was slightly hunched forward, not on all fours, but just enough to where those arms and shoulders were forward. I don't think it was much more than eight feet tall. Maybe standing completely upright, it could have been ten. But I you know, like when I went to the museum in Felton and they have that like the peak through and those things are like fifteen feet tall, Like, whoa, I didn't.
Speaker 9: See anything that was fifteen feet tall.
Speaker 5: Just for your guys's records, what I saw, I really think was about eight to ten feet tall.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I imagine you spent some time with topo maps because you're doing this trip and you're doing you might want to go off trail and the whole thing. I'm curious why, of all places it walked exactly where you were. I mean that it's that's what are the chances of that unless it was a path of least resistance in some way to get to the top of that mountain? Perhaps do you have any insight or thoughts on that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was off trail. I was. I was off in a place that.
Speaker 5: You know, wouldn't have been right off of a trail on on a Tobo map. And when I kind of was peeking around that that first lake that I thought I would get to and camp at, I sort of peeked around and just went you know, the extra not even quarter mile and sort of looked and was like, what in the world, it's this huge rock escarpment, Like I'm camping there?
Speaker 9: That's the spot.
Speaker 2: Did the creature drop by the lake on the way and like after it left you on the way to the top of the mountain?
Speaker 9: No, there was no, there was do not pass go.
Speaker 5: It went from me directly up and continued on its already determined route. It knew where it was going and did not stop and went directly from the little creek or brook that I was on and followed that up.
Speaker 9: To the peak and the lake.
Speaker 5: That little lake would have been off to the west by a good quarter mile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the things we've noticed over the years, Like, yeah, tracked a few sasquatches in our time. Then one of the things that comes at is sometimes they're meandering about, you know, and the stride that the step lengths are usually shorter and all that kind of meandering, like they're just kind of poking around, maybe looking for something in particular. But there are other times in cases when they seem to be going somewhere, like they have a goal in mind and for whatever forever reason. And you can tell that sometimes because the step length is longer, for example, but they seem to hone in on the direction they need to go, and they go that way and nothing gets in their way. If something's there, they might go around something that's insurmountable, some sort of obstacle, but generally speaking, they'll go over whatever it is and just goes straight there, you know, just just you know, as the crow flies, as they say, no matter what's in their way. So maybe this is one of those cases perhaps right.
Speaker 5: I've thought about the path a lot, and I think that it was either a path that it had traveled before multiple times, or it was it was, you know, just pre established it was.
Speaker 9: It was definitely a direct route. It knew where it was going.
Speaker 2: Do you have any speculations on why it might have been going there? I do.
Speaker 5: The week after my trip ended, I was meeting up with some friends to go climb at Mount Shasta and to go climb the peak, and I'll just tell you, guys, I didn't make it. I did not sum it because I was so worn out from from the hiking trip, and my friends actually left me at the at the start. We you know, I made it to base camp. But it's a big it's a big climb to go at Mount Shasta.
Speaker 2: Well, we won't tell anybody it didn't make it. It's just broadcast that no one listens to this, that's all right.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was so worn out from from the trip that I stayed back at our base camp.
Speaker 9: But when we had gone down.
Speaker 5: After that to the little campground for just like a after trip camp out before we go had headed back home, I met this this woman at the campground there and.
Speaker 9: I was with a group.
Speaker 5: Of girlfriends and so we kind of befriended her and a bunch of people that she was camping with and they, you know, it was a campground, so they kind of had a party that night. And she was this really nice lady and she noticed that I was limping and she was like, what's wrong.
Speaker 9: Why are you limping? And I was like, oh, my knee hurts. I kind of blew it out.
Speaker 5: I just finished up a big hike and it's really sore. And she was like, oh, well, I do reiki riki healing. Do you do you want me to do like a little reiki.
Speaker 9: Treatment on you?
Speaker 5: And I'm like sure, And so we sit down and I give her my knee and she's you know, rubbing my knee doing whatever.
Speaker 9: And she was really interesting.
Speaker 5: She goes, so you just went on a big backpacking trip, a big hiking trip by yourself.
Speaker 9: I'm like yeah.
Speaker 5: She's like that's interesting, and she kind of was looking at me funny, and I was like, yeah, this this really strange thing happened to me on the trip.
Speaker 9: And she was like, oh, tell me. I was like, well, it was pretty wild.
Speaker 5: I'm like i'll tell you, but and so she just listened, and she listened to my whole recollection of what had just happened. And I didn't even tell my girlfriends when we went up to Shasta, I didn't even tell them, So she was essentially the very first person who I told. And she listened to my story the whole way through, and she said, I'm a Koduk Indian and my father's Koduk and has been going up every summer, late summer and every once in a while. I don't know what his pattern is, but my father goes up to the tops of the peaks and records sasquatches doing their mating calls. And I think that that's what you experienced was a sasquatch mating call.
Speaker 8: I'll bet if you can figure out what that peak was, I'm sure they do it every year on that same peak.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I can figure it out. I've looked at it in the past.
Speaker 5: They just haven't come up with a map file, but I can do that. But it made a lot of sense to me when she said that.
Speaker 2: I was like, of course, well, yeah, there are. There aren't very many reasons animals vocalized in general. I mean that because you know they don't want to be they don't want to give their spot away, that give themselves away, and mating, I suppose would be top on the list, I guess, you know, unless they're like highly social like birds or something like that. You always chirping back and forth to when another humans for that matter. And that's kind of something I bring up quite often, is when you hear a sasquatch vocalize, chances are it's not doing that for its own benefit. It's that most animals don't talk to themselves. In other words, humans are kind of special that way. There might be another one nearby, and that's something that you need to keep in mind. I think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, alsoppressed, you didn't hear one to answer at all, Not at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's a lot that's expending an awful lot of calories to get to at one certain location, you know, because that's climbing straight up to the top of a mountain. Basically, that's not easy under any circumstance. So to get up there and then hoot and holler until morning time, there must be a darn good reason to expend all those calories doing it, and certainly mating would be one of them. Just because a rare species like this that's spread very thinly across the landscape has to have some sort of trouble finding other sasquatches. Now, and now, let me ask you this real fast. And I know that you probably didn't see it's junk or anything like that, but did you get the impression this was a male or a female?
Speaker 5: I really early on got the impression that it was a male. When it was down in the bottom of the canyon. It immediately was, like, I said, a crazy man, a drunk guy coming for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought that was interesting that you've suspected, even for a moment, that this might be a human. So there must have been something about the vocalization that reminded you of a human in some sort of way. Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages. So, now you're a forester for a living. Have you heard other people who work for the Forestry Service or FEDS or anything like that talk about sasquatch encounters that they've had.
Speaker 5: I only have one friend who's in a slightly related position and career share another story. But I have to be totally honest with you, I really don't cross mingle the sasquatch siding with my professional forestry career. I've you know, when I've shared this and my recollection, I've been really ridiculed and even by close friends.
Speaker 9: Luckily not any of my family. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: My family supports me and what I saw, But I've borderline lost friends over this story, and so I tend to keep it separate from my forestry career. I've shared it with a few people, but you know, there has to be a lot of trust there first, and more of a friendship. But I do have a friend who is in a related hydrology field, and he and his wife had actually come across one up in the Feather River Canyon apparently and allegedly was like a juvenile, And they pulled into this remote campsite up in the Feather River Canyon off the highway, and when they pulled in, their headlights were shining on this short, kind of squatty kid like sasquatch that peered out just from behind the tree, kind of walked out, stared at it right in the headlights, and then ran off.
Speaker 2: I could be incorrect about this, because I mean, obviously I live, and just like Bobo, we both live pretty bigfoot centric lives, you know, our lives are you know, we're basically drowning in the subject. So we probably have a skewed perception on some of this, but it seems to me, at least set the Forest Service and a lot of those sort of folks in general forest tree people are kind of opening up a little bit more to it. Like, for example, I live on timberland and therefore I get like a tax to ferment because I have forests on my property, you know. And so I've been dealing a lot with the Malala District guys because they have to come out and instect my property because the previous owners clear cut it and they want to make sure I replant it and all that sort of stuff to kind of keep my forest deferment for my property. Faxes and I talk to them about bigfoot stuff. They haven't seen any, but they're pretty open to it, and they have they have some good questions and whatever. And as listeners of the podcast will know, this past fall, mountain Hood some well some not not in an official capacity, but rangers from the mountain Hood National Forests reached out to me because they got sasquatch sighting reported to them. So it seems that that that icy wall is somewhat breaking down to some degree at least. Maybe it's just because the old the older folks are retiring or dying off and the new generations coming in and they're a little bit more open to that sort of thing. Or I don't know what it is, But can you comment at all about anything that I've just said, Like, do you think that's true at all? Or what do you what are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: I think I think that the icy wall you describe is is coming down, but it just doesn't do the the scientific community any justice that it's not you know, a classified specie species. It's not you know, keyed out as a living, existing thing. And so that's where I mean, once it is adopted as a as a as a classified primate mammal, then that wall's gone. But without having that scientific you know, background of a scientific name, it's going nowhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you what do you think is going to happen? Because you know these are I mean obviously you know they're real clearly, you know, And it's only therefore, in my opinion, it's really only a matter at time until the type specimen is brought in. What do you think that will look like from your end, like how it will affect your job and and how how do you think it will go down? Basically, how it.
Speaker 5: Would affect my my career is you know, it would uh probably for one, open up a bunch of experiences and encounters that people have never reported and just go, yep, I saw one here, I saw one here, and those stories will.
Speaker 9: Be coming out of the woodwork.
Speaker 5: And secondly, I mean at that point would probably be identified as somewhat endangered, if not extinct species, and so there would be protection measures I would hope put into place, and so that would be that would.
Speaker 2: Be good, Yeah, because it would have to immediately I imagine, be declared endangered even if it's not, and I don't think they are necessarily, but I think it would be immediately declared as endangered until a thorough ecological study could be done and you know the way these things are, that could take a decade.
Speaker 5: Man, right, that it would be really beneficial I think for the protection and for the knowledge that it is a not a hoax or be some you know, mythical creature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would it would validate a whole lot of witnesses. I do that it would go. It would validate entire cultures, like the indigenous cultures of North America. They would get such a validation to their stories and unique oral traditions. But it also, you know, you said the whole lot of stories will come out. I would also predict that a whole lot of videos and photographs will come out that people have just been sitting on because they don't want to be thought a fool or the local drunk or something.
Speaker 5: Like that, and hopefully some immediate protection measures.
Speaker 9: So I'll sit on that panel for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh fantastic. Well, so, Sarah Bobo and I have both heard from more than one source that people are very high up in the government are aware of these things. But what do you have any thoughts on some sort of overarching conspiracy or some nonsense or I think most conspiracies are nonsense personally. So are there any conspiracy conspiratorial thoughts in your mind about this, because obviously there would be a huge economic issue for closing off a lot of land and all this other stuff, because we all saw what the snailed art fish the consequences of that or the consequences of the spotted owl in the Pacific Northwest. I mean, I would say that the logging industry still hasn't really fully recovered from that whole ordeal. Do you think there's any sort of conspiracy amongst any level of government that's a concerted effort or do you think it's just individuals not really wanting to talk about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't know enough to know about a concerted effort. But what comes to mind is I think it's more in my industry specifically. I think it's more almost of a jealous feeling that they haven't seen one and so so they immediately.
Speaker 9: Knock it down.
Speaker 5: Now at the higher level, you know, with leadership, government decision makers, I'm honestly at a loss of why this isn't a you know, a documented species, and so so I've had, you know, thoughts of my own of is there is there some sort of conspiracy to to protect or to hide this creature from legitimacy.
Speaker 9: I mean, I've had that thought.
Speaker 5: Myself a lot, because I saw what I saw and it's still not a believed creature for the most part, and so it's it's actually kind of frustrating. Not kind of, it's very frustrating from my end. It's there's some emotions that go along with it, like embarrassment and like I said, maybe jealousy from the others.
Speaker 2: You know what, especially with this species of all of them, because you know, we study the other apes, for example, to learn more about ourselves. That's our biological family, right, and you think that like, oh, here's an opportunity to learn so much more about where we came from. Like why wouldn't they just jump on this. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. But so I've always thought like, if there is some sort of effort, it's really a passive effort. I mean, people aren't going out and you know, squat black people in like black SUVs, aren't picking up dead ones on the side of the road, in my opinion, or anything like that. Although I've heard more than my fair share of stories like that. I've heard stories probably once every two weeks in my Bigfoot museum up here by Portland, Oregon, somebody comes in ask me about these conspiratorial ideas of helicopters whisking dead bigfoots away from Mount Saint Helens after it blew in nineteen eighty. But if there is a conspiracy, it must be an awful passive one, something like, well, the bigfoots seem to be taken care of themselves pretty well, so let's not expend any resources towards this because they got outunder control.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Yeah, that's a happy thought. I'm going to go with that one.
Speaker 5: And I think I think we're all leaning on you, Cliff and Bobo, to help us, you know, help the species become something that's validated, recognized and approved by the scientific community.
Speaker 8: Well, shoot, this has been a good one, Cliff. What do you think that was our best witness testimony so far?
Speaker 2: I'd say that's fantastic. Just the proximity, the encounter, the observations you made, and knowing that we're speaking to a legit, you know, forestry professional here, all of those things just tie into this beautiful situation that you brought us. Man that this is an amazing encounter. Thank you so much, Boba for setting us up, and thank you so much Sarah for joining us.
Speaker 9: Absolutely honored you guys. Thank you so much. And like I said, I really appreciate your guys work.
Speaker 5: I've been following you guys and watching the shows and now listening to this podcast, and and I really look up to you guys. This is this is truly an honor, and today's talk has been a dream come true.
Speaker 6: Nerd.
Speaker 9: I used to watch the show a.
Speaker 5: Bunch and I'm like, oh, come on, Cliff yelling at you from from my living room.
Speaker 2: Well, you know people yelled at me on set too, so yeah.
Speaker 6: I was always have to keep that guy straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I had Bobo to point the way for me. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Good.
Speaker 8: Well, if you see anything else out in the woods or here's something, you let us know and come back on.
Speaker 9: Okay, I will do that. Quit my day job.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, quit your day jobs. Do big foot stuff full time. There's no money in it, but holy smokes, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Is great.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you so much, Sarah, Thanks guys, by so Bobo man, that was a great witness. I can't believe you pulled one out like that. That was amazing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and you recognize that story, I'm sure read off the bat.
Speaker 2: I have read it. I have read it, but you know, things get jumbled in my mind, you know, like these all these basically all the reports from the last twenty five twenty six years of doing this just get all jumbled up. So it's nice to have a refresher course, especially when it's straight from the witness's mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: She was excellent relaying details, and her memory was great.
Speaker 6: Her observational skills were great.
Speaker 2: I mean, and she's cautious. She even said, like at one point she said, I'm not so sure that, so I'm not going to say it, you know, like I think it was the peak of the mountain if I remember right. She's cautious about what she's saying to make sure that everything she's saying is accurate. And I so appreciate that from a witness instead of just making something up or answering even though they may not be one hundred percent for.
Speaker 8: Sure, right right, Yeah, those are the witnesses everyone dreams about talking to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fantastic man. So thank you, Bob. So that was amazing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we got some great guests coming up, so if you listen to this one, folks, we got more coming for you. And until next time, keep it Squatchy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond