Speaker 1: Y'all, Welcome to the three hundredth episode a coming out pod. Wow. I cannot believe I am so deeply honored surprise to be doing the three hundred episode. Before I introduced my very very special guest, I just wanted to, yeah, just to say a little bit and say thank you to everybody. This is three hundred episodes, is I feel like such a huge accomplishment, and that is all due to you all listening, and you're the reason why this has why the pot has kept going for three hundred, three hundred episodes. So yeah, I just wanted to say thank you before we officially get started and let you know how grateful I am to all of you over these many, many years and many many episodes. The Queer Root shout out for this three hundredth episode is of course thematic. You know I love a thematic queer Root shout out. Shout out to you if your queer root is the movie three hundred. For those who are maybe a little younger, I hope everybody at least knows about three hundred. It is the movie where Gerard Butler goes this is sporta but yeah, it's about this battle in ancient Greece, and basically it's a bunch of incredibly good looking, jacked dudes being almost totally naked except for loin clause. And it is both the most browy and most homo erotic movie of all time. We're talking Gerard Butler, we're talking Michael Fassbender, we're talking the really beautiful man from Love actually, who plays an androgynous like king giant character, And it's just it is you. If you haven't seen three hundred, it is an incredibly gay movie. All of the soldiers are sweating with each other, thrusting spears and swords at or near each other. Clearly some of them are boning. It's imploied also the like there's like one woman in the whole movie, because it's mostly dudes band dudes. But the woman in the movie is Lena Heade from Imagine Me and You Gay rom com and also from Game of Thrones. But yeah, so if you were if you were a youth and you went to see the movie three hundred, and you saw all of these sweaty, almost entirely naked dudes backing each other up in battle and mourning each other when one of them was fallen on the battlefield. Congratulations, maybe that was your first realization that you might be a little bit gay, y'all. I am so excited for my three hundredth guests. This is a very special guest. Okay. She has so many credits that I'm only gonna say a few.
Speaker 2: She has been a writer for Late Night with Seth Meyers since the show's very beginning in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: She also does a ton of on camera segments. She then went on to have her very own late night show, The Amber Ruffin Show. When you get to a point where a show is your name, that's a big deal. She's an Emmy and Tony nominated writer, best selling author, podcaster, and probably most importantly, the voice of the Purple Eminem her current show, Have I Got News for You Here Saturdays on CNN and then Sundays the next day on Max. But even more important than even more important than the Purple Eminem thing is that I have known her for almost twenty years because we are old. I know, isn't that horrifying? We did Boom Chicago together. Boom Chicago, you probably know from listening is It's an English language improv slash sketch comedy theater in Amsterdam, Amsterdam, the Netherlands. We're talking different country, different language, all different stuff. We both did this weirdo job, lived in Amsterdam. This was in our twenties. We were wild and crazy, not old people like we are now. But that's how we initially know each other. Her name, which I already gave away because again she had a show named after her, is Amber Rubbin. Hello, gonna emver. It's good, it's good, it's good. I'm so excited to have you. Okay, I don't even know where to where to dive in. Do you did I leave out anything that you want to, like, did you want to let the people's the peoples know about? First off? No, you're like, no, you're motive, not at all.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 1: Right, then we're gonna dive right in to the question I always start with, Amber, I don't even know the answer to this. How do you identify.
Speaker 3: I identify as a as a as a queer woman. Is that the question? Yeah, I as a queer woman. Oh that's what you mean. Yeah, that's going to help for the rest of the podcast.
Speaker 1: No, Well, I wanted to ask because like, words are words are hard, and I know that when I did your podcast, y'all. I was on Amber's very funny podcast son Well Well.
Speaker 3: Into the family.
Speaker 1: I felt a part of that family. I felt like me And I was like, Lacey, did we know each other in a past life? I think it's because Lacey and you have a lot of a lot similarity. It's the same guy, the same guy, it's the same guy. No. The reason why I was excited to ask you the identity question is because at one part during that podcast, you were like, Flans, we gay, and I was like, we gay? And so people use like different words and stuff, and I was wondering what word you liked. But I thought it might be queer because in your coming out Instagram post, you're wearing a shirt to said queer.
Speaker 3: Queer's probably true. Queer is technically what is true. Queers is also also true, but.
Speaker 1: Is gay because I am an old and I mean I'm old and that I'm old, as I've already mentioned like three times. But also like when I came out, queer wasn't being used yet, so I use gay, so I just still use gay. But for people who have come out more recently, queer is like the word now. So yeah, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like if like when I came out and I went on a like dating app, I stepped my ship to non binary. I was like, that's that's where that's.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's see.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that that's where it falls.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: If you gotta find a little category for it, I would. I think we're safe to say non binary.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, that's cool. Now the pronouns I'm seeing on your screen are she? Her? Is that still what you're Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, but I meant for people I was after on a dating you meant for dating.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, okay, look at this, we're learning. Well that's why I was surprised. I was like, oh, okay, okay, gotcha. So you.
Speaker 3: There, I go. No, we're getting there.
Speaker 1: You go.
Speaker 3: Getting in there that gay horse?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so then queer totally makes more sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Oh I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh you're after noo. Okay, this is very exciting, very exciting. Okay, So here's what I'm so excited to have you on this. Well, I'm so excited for many many reasons. But when you posted your Instagram post on the last day of Pride of this year, so this is all recent, this is June thirtieth. You said, I'm looking at it right now, and what will come as a shock to exactly zero people. I'm using the last day of Pride to come out. Well, guess what that was a shock to at least one person, because Flans was shocked.
Speaker 3: Could not be was surprised. Okay, he really was. Listeners, here's where we're coming from. I'm I'm forty five years old. I just had to just gotten a divorce after being married to a man for thirteen years. Now. Before that, I lived in Holland mm hmmm, hmmm, where Flans also lived, and we worked at a theater. Now, when you leave the theater, you get roasted, right, So then my whole roast was jokes about how I was gay and didn't know. That was the entire roast. Lance got me a copy of R. Kelly's show. R Kelly's video Trapped in the Closet.
Speaker 1: Okay, that didn't age well, but I stand by it and being one of the funniest existing pieces of media in the entire world.
Speaker 3: Also, that's the funniest president. Yes, Christ Trapped in the Wow. Also, we watched it this I remember.
Speaker 1: I remember us watching it in the theater on a big screen, and again I stand by. I mean, he's a very bad person, but fuck, that is a very funny, unintentionally unintentionally cace of art. I've taught it in improv class or I've assigned it as homework, period. I don't do that anymore. Okay, Wow, see I don't remember doing that, So I guess that a part of me did have an inkling at.
Speaker 3: The time that I read Damn.
Speaker 1: Wow did that at the time? Ring it all? Well, fuck it, let's just get into like the story from wherever you want to start, Like I want to hear your coming out story, like your awareness of it, or like if when people were making those jokes, were you like, ha ha ha, that's funny, or were you like, I'm suppressing things right now.
Speaker 3: Like so, like when I was in Amsterdam a thousand years ago, at this point, I feel like there weren't a lot of actresses at Boom Chicago who were not gay, So then like a.
Speaker 1: Lot I was gonna ask about this.
Speaker 3: A lot of folks were gay. So then very often people would be like, you're probably gay and you don't know it yet, very often all of the time, and I'd be like, yeah, I see it. I mean, I don't know who, cause I'm sure, great, let's let's see.
Speaker 4: And I just really was really open to the idea of it, and I believed everyone too, because I was like, I have to make sure that if I ever get a girlfriend, I have to be able to be nice to her.
Speaker 3: I can't be treating her like I treat these men who exists purely for my enjoyment.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, yeah, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Now that's really that should have been the clue. But yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, Yeah, because you did, I feel like enjoy men in Amsterdam, but weren't, at least when I was there, weren't were you weren't romantically serious about anybody, at least during the time that we overlapped a Boom, which, to be fair, I feel like a lot of people during their time in Astronaut were not romantically serious about we're serious about anything.
Speaker 3: Boom Chicago was. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of being very silly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, it's the opposite.
Speaker 1: Of serious things.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so people would be like you gay, and I'd be like, great, I can't wait to because like everyone I know as a comedian, no one cares, no one in my family would give two shits. No one cares. So I knew for a fact it didn't matter at all. And I had read that sometimes people would find out that they're gay and it would make them sad, and then I'd be like, oh, okay, I should really do the work and accept the fact that one day I might end up gay. So I don't feel sad. I didn't care. Does nobody care, No one cares, No one cares. It is as if I get well, Okay, So here's the thing about coming out. Wow, what a meandering mess of a story. There is no story. It's just a serious as it is. I love meandering. So I did the Amber Ruffin show where I just went in on trans writes gay blah blah blah. So then first of all, lots of people just thought I was gay. And then also that had cold it any one who was homophobic from yeah, my life. I assume I don't know that I knew anyone who was homophobic truly, Yeah, because I had been in theater since time began, my the little bubble I live in. And also, you know, I don't be putting up with shit. Don't come around some black woman talking some homophobic shit. I'm not having it because I know I'm next, so blah blah blah. I So I say that to say I was very open to the idea of being a gay person, but I just didn't you know, how often do you see someone who is a perfectly androgynous woman? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I especially Yeah, Like and when we were in Amsterdam, we're talking like pretty early two thousands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but nobody doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, that was that was like original Albard years.
Speaker 3: Was really wasn't a lot of Shanes.
Speaker 1: There weren't a lot of shame Amsterdam. I know.
Speaker 5: Isn't it funny that Shane was like the androgenus you're for the early two thousands and now we look at Shana where like she's literally wearing gye mag.
Speaker 3: She's not.
Speaker 1: This is so that's so interesting because the other thing I wondered because I thought about this, I was like Amber was around. I had the same thought. You did so many lesbians and Boom Chicago, not just in the actors, but like the wait staff, just like like there were like so many lesbians. And I was like, oh no, did we not do a good enough job of like being like we're lesbians. If you are too, that's good, like whatever, and then well here was my thought. Then I was I was thinking, and I was like, unless I'm mistaken, every single I'll say queer because I don't know how exactly people identify, But every single career at Boom was a white lady. And I don't mean like not black, I mean white. I mean I can't think of a single woman of color who was also queer. Yeah, and that a of all wow, early hello, early two thousand. But like do and sorry if this is also like a dumb white lady question, But was the fact that they're not just a Boom but like in the world and like media, in like your day to day life was not seeing non white queer women, Like do you think like that was part of you not necessarily identifying with what you were seeing or is that? I don't just.
Speaker 3: Think so, But they do say you got to see it be it. Yeah they're really talking about like being class president or some shit, but maybe also this dude. But I wouldn't think so, because I think it's more like being attracted to a person.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just simply.
Speaker 3: There was no one to be attracted too.
Speaker 1: They just don't make sense. That does make okay, that makes sense. Yeah, that makes sense. The reason I asked us because I remember when I was in high school because I thought I was by for like a long time, like into my like twenties, like when I broke up with Heather shout out to our mutual friend, my first girlfriend ever and boom actor Heather. After college, I went back to dating guys, so I thought I was by like into my early twenties. I know, which is crazy because you only know me as like a very gay, small person, so that doesn't make any sense. But it took me a long time to stut out. But thank you. That's all I ever wanted to hear. But I remember in high school, so now we're talking like nineties. In high school, there was one out lesbian at my school shout out to Alex at Stable's High school and connect again, and I did not relate to her at all. So I was like, well, I can't be a lesbian because Alex is what a lesbian is and I'm not like her. So I'm by And I did that for like a decade. So I just wondered if if that was any of it. But it sounds more like there just weren't any ladies or non binary folks walking around in your twenties that made you be like, ooh, I must reevaluate. Yeah. Yeah, so the times had to catch up to you.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's my problem late in life. There's been no way ahead of my time.
Speaker 1: You're ahead of your time. I also said this on your podcast, but I don't the light in life thing, even though I'm not invalidating how it feels. I literally had someone in the group that I facilitate on Mondays be like, I feel like I'm a late and they were in their thirties and I was like, you're not a light in life was But again, not to invalidate how it feels, but my rule is unless you are over sixty five, I'm like, I don't think that's late in life. That's just that's my personal feeling.
Speaker 3: But again, I'm sixty.
Speaker 1: Remember you look at what's your skin regime.
Speaker 3: It's just butter.
Speaker 1: Your skincare is butter. It's better. Yeah, So I'm glad to hear that you weren't like repressing anything or like struggling with anything. It just literally wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow, there's literally there was none of the none of those people existed.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, that's very true.
Speaker 3: I got married, so then other people just didn't exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not a cheaty guy and I'm not a little horn dog. So I was just having a great time, just not cheating, living life.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, And then so is what happened that, like the times got up to you caught up to you ladies, and non binary people started being more androgynous, and then you were like bing or or did I miss a step?
Speaker 3: What happened was I got a divorce, and then so that came for us? Did so? Then after I got a divorce, And I had said before if I ever but I did, I would never say get a divorce. I would always say if I ended up a widow, because that was how sure I was. I was gonna stay married forever. But I would say if I ended up a widow, my uh, I wouldn't date men. Again. I did say that. I thought that was true. I've heard that on.
Speaker 1: This podcast before. Yeah, I literally people have said. Yeah. A recent guest once told her therapist that her life plan was to marry a man and quote watch him die and then and then have a second life dating women, and the therapist was like, ah, but yeah, so that's like a common that's well, I'm glad no one had to die for that to happen.
Speaker 3: Now. Also, that was really late in the marriage where I was like, hmm, okay, I don't know this, this doesn't seem like the right thing to be doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but it's not. But did but that did that start to like occur to you in the late stages of the marriage, Like, were there people walking around like New York that you were like, that person's attractive. Oh, that's an interesting thought that I haven't had before about.
Speaker 3: I mean, I knew that I thought that that type of person was attractive, but I certainly didn't care that I thought that, Like, I didn't mean anything like there's hot guys running around all the time. They don't mean anything good. You know, who cares? I just thought the same thing. Yeah, I have.
Speaker 1: A lot of aesthetic appreciation for hot guys, but no interest beyond that. So I feel like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me and I do a segment on Late Night with Seth Myers called joke Seth Can't Tell Jenny with noted lesbian Jenny Hagel.
Speaker 1: She us a noted lesbian. It's very true.
Speaker 3: And so then we were like, how did we not know? We just tried to figure it out, Like, I don't know. The conclusion I've come to is you don't. There just wasn't anyone to look at. Yeah, and also I was too married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both of those things together are a powerful Yeah. So Jenny also didn't. I don't have to feel that silly because Jenny also didn't. She was a little a little surprised too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting though, because reading the comments on your Instagram post, there were a lot of people who, like you said, who were like I thought she was already out, Like, so there was a big sect of people maybe like view, maybe people who like didn't know you or didn't know you that well but just thought your whole vibe and esthetic was already queer. But then it sounds like maybe those of us who knew you more personally were like double taking a little bit.
Speaker 3: I feel like someone texts did no someone someone said one of my friends said to their barber, you know who I amberg roughness, And the barber goes that, uh yeah, and my friend goes, oh, she's gay. Now she recently figured out she was gay, and he goes with her Janelle Monas, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, yeah, that's a great compliment, especially.
Speaker 3: Covered from a barber, Like you're right.
Speaker 1: Ass Wow, okay, Yeah, So I guess a lot of people, a lot of people saw it, but I think those of us who knew you, yeah, like you're saying new you is like, well her dog who like like having fun with boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for a while it was so fun, but you know.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah this is okay, all right, you can do. Have people already brought up that you could technically do jokes Seth can't tell all by your loadsome.
Speaker 5: Now you would never want to box out Jenny, but like, wow, you really.
Speaker 3: Seth does a bit on YouTube I think called corrections where he just goes through and like reads comments left on YouTube and then goes in and issues corrections blah blah blah. And then he goes he's reading some correction. He goes, Yeah, the next joke Seth can't tell will be interesting. Let's just say there's been a redundancy car Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So since your personal realization had a lot to do with like being finally being able to be attracted to people because the the I don't know, esthetic style, fashion whatever finally went into your vent diagram of what you think it sucks? A do you have? Because I always shout out a queer root at the beginning of every episode? Do you have like a person in like I don't know, like either a famous person or like someone you like passed by on the street briefly, or like you was there like a queer root? Was there like a moment that you first remember being like that is what I've been looking for and didn't see until two thousand and whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you have? Have you seen the musical fun Home?
Speaker 1: I've seen it. I mean I saw it at LA So why.
Speaker 3: Aren't you calling this what is your Ring of Keys moment?
Speaker 1: Oh? Because you know why? Because A like I want to get sued, and two because in fun Home, I feel like it's a little more like same same you know in that song, like she's kind of like, oh, I feel like that's what I want to like be or aspire to. And I feel like a root is more like me watching Mannikin when I'm little, being and like looking at Kim Cattrell and being like, oh, I like that lady and not knowing what that means, but knowing that I like that lady, who's the manniquin so which and no part of me had an illusion that like I was going to grow up and be that, Like I already knew as a young child, I was not going to grow up to be Kim Cantrell. But I did know that I like looking at Kim Cattrell and would probably spend a lot of my adult life chasing women like that who then emotionally became mann against if not factly anyway, that's not a podcast, not me, but yeah, so I guess that's why. But yeah, you ring a Key's moment, Yeah, ring a Key's moment, queer rude, anything like that that felt that like sticks out to you.
Speaker 3: I one time, I do think that two gay butch women, I think they can see that I am gay, and I think unless you're that I might not seem very gay but gay butch woman, every gay butch woman is like my man, and I'm like no, But they were all right because one time at a party, at an SNL after party, I spent it's gotta be like I don't know, it could have been a year, a minute I'm gonna say, thirty minutes, twenty minutes talking to this lady who was a butch lesbian, talking talking, talking, talking, talking, and then I mentioned my husband and it was she like left, like a puff of smoke, instantly she had disappeared. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, I've been that lady before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I was like, was I flirting with this woman this whole time? I don't think I was, but yeah, every once in a while, I feel like three times ever that has happened to me, and it's been just a butch lesbian and I talked to her too long and then yeah goes down like that. Yeah, but I yeah, I think that has happened to me a couple of times where we're talking, we're talking and oh, this is something else. Like once I was talking to some woman who was one of Heather's friends, and she walked me home from some night out. And she walked me home and I didn't it didn't occur to me what was happening. And then she waited while I got my keys out, and it didn't occur to me what was happening. And then I was like oh oh oh oh no no no, no, no no, But I see again, Like I get it.
Speaker 1: I bet god. I hope all these ladies saw your post and were like, I.
Speaker 3: Know I told her, all, yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you accidentally broke a few hearts prior to this. I don't think that, hey, it's not it's not your fault. Queer lady. Hearts get broken real easily, as I'm sure you know. Now, we get really attached, real real, real fast. You imagine a whole life and then they say husband, and then you're like, that's the gift of queer ladies. We story right really well. And you're a writer, so you slide right into this. That's right right into this lifestyle. Okay, this is okay, this is so interesting.
Speaker 2: So what was I'm so excited so as you start, so you get divorced and then you're like free to explore this stuff.
Speaker 1: What was the moment Like when you do an Instagram post and you are a famous lady, you know that is immediately going to get like picked up by whatever outlet, and like, so you didn't think.
Speaker 3: That, absolutely not. I thought who's gonna care? But I did make the post because I was like, you know how, I just didn't I didn't want to be on the inside of any homophobic shit, like a little bit of your little a yucky gay joke, Like I don't want to be on the other side of that, and I want you to know that's gonna get like a rebuke from me. But also like I didn't like how I don't know, it felt like, you know, how light skinned black people would be passing, Like it felt like passing a little bit, And I was like, I don't like where this is, especially in the way with what our nation is hurling towards, hurdling, towards.
Speaker 1: Hurdling, hurdling, but it's.
Speaker 3: I think it's herdle jerkling, has hurdle jerkling towards It's like I couldn't be on the other side of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I get that. Before that post, though, I assumed there was like telling friends, family stuff like what what was that sort of who is the very first person? Who was the first person you're told?
Speaker 3: I got on a dating app, on a queer dating app, I set my shit to non binary. I found a person I thought was cute. I sent the person to Jenny Hagel. Now they don't allow you to take a picture of you know, the you can't screenshot. You can't screenshot the app. So I was like, okay, we were in LA for something for the Emmy Si Zoom and then I asked Ian Morgan, one of the old writers on Late Night Seth, to borrow his phone. I took a picture of the person I was chatting with with Ian's phone. I sent the picture to Jenny Hagel from Ian's phone. I deleted the picture from Ian's phone give the phone back to Ian. A little bit later, Ian goes, who's the picture that person you put on my phone? I was like that, No, I get cut.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're very first attempt at being sneaky. You immediately got.
Speaker 3: C Yeah, I got cat.
Speaker 1: We didn't grow up with this kind of technology. It's not hard.
Speaker 3: No, you don't know. I can't screenshot it, and I should be able.
Speaker 1: So he was technically the first person you accidentally came out to be.
Speaker 3: Because it's an accident. Poor Ian.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful though. Wow. I know that obviously that that person whose picture it was can't know, but I wish that they had some or I assume they can't know, but I hope that there's like, oh, maybe they do now. I just hope that that her said, has some whether it's conscious or unconscious, has some glowing, warm feeling that like I'm the person.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, okay, cool cool duds. I'm a cool dude.
Speaker 1: And so you are. Obviously you're very close to your sister. You've written books with her, you have the podcast with her. Oh yeah, I forget. You guys hate each other, but you're you're bound. You're like Gilbert and Sullivan. You really don't get along, but creatively you do all this stuff together. So like you have to. Yeah, that's rough. But in terms of telling like her, in terms of telling like your mom, what was like did you do friends first and like then do family or like I didn't tell my parents until like everyone else in my life, there was something what was he?
Speaker 3: I feel like I told everyone, like I don't remember. I remember kind of remember telling Jenny. But also Jenny was there through the whole thing where I was like, got a divorce, cried, I thought I was gonna die, got better, was fine, then was having fun, and then got on the apps. So she was there for the whole thing. So I don't know that I was like Jenny, I'm gay. I think Jenny was just along for the ride.
Speaker 1: But what's the kid say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Lacey, I feel like I had to have told.
Speaker 1: Lacy still doesn't know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I went on a date and Lacey sent a picture of I sent a picture of the person I went on a date with, and then Lacey sent back a picture of our wedding. It's like, Lacey, I love her, She's so bad. But then I told mom and dad okay, and mom and dad were like like shocked, like it was like a like it was like gossip. They're like, oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Like that they forgot that you were there. They just got excited about gossip. They got excited about celebrity gossip and forget that.
Speaker 3: They were very funny and they could give two ships do not care at all. And I knew it, but no one cared. I've never had There's nothing less eventful. I could get braids and it'd be a bigger deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got all hairs. Hair is a big very important. I mean yeah, yeah, hair is real important. Okay, that that's really nice. I like that it wasn't. I like that nobody gave you a hard time. I like that you didn't get any shit. Yeah, I don't know it all seems it all seems real.
Speaker 3: Good because if you love me, you watched Amber Ruffin show, And if you watched Amber Ruffin show, you already on board, you already know what it is. Wow. That's yeah, I really did myself a favor.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, I want is there is there anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Is there anything else that like sticks out to you that you want to like talk about or like, were there any did you do the thing where you go back and you look at your childhood and you're like, oh, that was super gay. Oh oh I had a crush on that little person when I was also a little like anything like that that you didn't realize at the time, but you sort of retroactively were.
Speaker 3: Like, I never ever ever had a crush on a woman ever, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because little kids are definitely not. But when I am little, leather cuffs and stuff, well, well.
Speaker 3: I did have a leather sweatsuit.
Speaker 1: You had a leather sweatsuit as a as.
Speaker 3: A child, as a fucking five year old child, I look good as hall but also gay as hell because it was I'm like, if I.
Speaker 1: Knew that, I wouldn't have been surprised by the Instagram post. If I knew you as a five year old had a leather sweat's okay, wow? Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was also just an outdoor child. I was outdoor, I was biting, I was daring and taking dares. I was certainly yeah, certainly one of those.
Speaker 1: Did you get called tomboy a lot?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: And are yeah maybe?
Speaker 3: Oh? Also when I was a kid, I got called little boy a lot? Oh shit, oh yeas more direct they thought for sure. I was a little boy for so many people. So like at the park, give the ball back to that little boy, here you go. Little boy happen to me quite.
Speaker 1: A bit, Okay, I mean I also I had like a bowl cut, and like, I don't remember if I got called little boy, but I definitely I had the short hair thing going for like my whole childhood. I had little little flans hair. Oh as we called it. This is okay? Well that I mean, does has there been any kind of have you had any kind of thoughts about gender? Like earlier when you said non biner and I thought you were saying that you had check non biner for yourself. I was like, oh wow, that's so interesting. That's not what you meant. But has since coming out in terms of sexuality. A lot of folks who I talked about this podcast, it's like they have this realization about their sexuality and then like years later, start to have realizations about their gender as well, because it's like once you open one door, then you're like, oh, there are other doors in here that I didn't know. So, like, I don't know, you rock suits all the time, but you've always we were We all wore suits at Boom, Like you're not gonna do improv in a skirt, Like that's just not practical. So we were all wearing suits.
Speaker 3: You've always I've always had a closet full of suits.
Speaker 1: Now your suits are like fucking stepped up. Holy shit.
Speaker 3: Now it's some of us buying the suits, so they look really good.
Speaker 1: There are some fancy yeah suits. Yeah, but like, I don't know, does that what did that barber call you your little genemna?
Speaker 3: Ask?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I don't know, is that anything that you like feel like has been more liberate or something now that you're I, I.
Speaker 3: Willn't feel like I have any changes in my gender in any way. Yeah, only because I think I'm too old for the ideas such a thing.
Speaker 1: I totally get that. I totally yeah.
Speaker 3: And also I don't think I would because the nature of being like, I'm probably certainly not non binary, but I'm certainly if there's a scale, I'm not on the end of it.
Speaker 1: I hear you loud and clear with that.
Speaker 3: By nature of that, then I'm too sloppy and raggedy to give it to it. Like I'm just too raggedy to have put such a thing in a category. I'm busy biting and running.
Speaker 1: You are really busy.
Speaker 3: Hook and snakes at people like that. That's the child I was.
Speaker 1: You gotta hook it snakes scamber. Is there anything else that you want to talk about that you want to say pertaining to queer stuff, pertaining to queer adjacent stuff, like what what is it like talking about this? Is it like fun and exciting? Or is it still like scary? And is it what? What is it like? This is I'm so honored that you would talk about this? Is ever outlets try to get you to.
Speaker 3: You're the only person who cares. Yes, you me and Sophia Bush. End of list.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's right you. I saw that picture of you with Sophia. But Sophia Bush will be my future wife. I understand that she's in a very serious, committed relationship right now, but at some point and I will wed. So I was a little jealous when I saw that picture of you too, but so she cared. Sophia and buch.
Speaker 3: Care we were like late life lesbians unite. Yeah, yeah, very cute.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, that's so interesting. Well I whatsapped Alice when I saw your post, because she's not on Instagram that much, and I was like, Alice, did you know about this? Did you see this? And she was like no, what, Oh my god? So she cared. Alice is our friend in Amsterdam. So I just want you to know that there are some of us who who were surprised, delighted and wanted I wanted you to do an interview. So even if the magazines aren't, the paparazzi isn't hunting you down, Flans was I want to talk to Amber about this?
Speaker 3: Yay? Oh good, you got me? I got you? Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it's fun. It seems like it's the easiest thing of all time. I mean, nothing has been easier than this. I also thought it I could. I just couldn't find you know, because if you come out, there's supposed to be some kind of difficulty. I couldn't find it, and I was like, well, at some point I'm really going to have to endure the tribulations that are gay brothers and sisters and siblings have had to answer. And don't nobody give two fucking shits. It's the most uneventful thing that has ever happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really fucking glad that that's been your experience. Yeah, I've I have talked to several well, I've talked to a lot of people on this podcast who have felt like not necessarily guilty, but they're like, I thought this is gonna be hard and traumatic and like because we all grew up with those like very special episodes where it's like a character has like a three episode arc where it's like Blossom's gay friend, and then they come out and they get kicked out of their house and then like by the third episode it's like bye, you've ever seen them again. So I think a lot of us do feel like if we don't face some of the shittiness, it's like, I don't know, like not as valid or like or like we feel guilty a little bit. But there's no precedent for that other than society having been shitty in the past, and it is getting better. I mean, you know, it's real divided right now. So parts of it are a lot worse, but parts of it, like the parts that you and I are lucky enough to live and are way way way better. And so I think a lot of folks, especially coming out now, are really lucky that they're not having that shitty experience. And if people can bypass that, fuck, yeah, Like that's that's what the ancestors want. You want people to be having better experiences than they Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like if you're an old woman in comedy, which I am, if you're black, which I also am, then you did it. You did it. You had to. You had to get all the bad stuff, you had to endure it. People were crazy, they talk SI all the fucking time, and then to have this one neat thing that was supposed to be terrible, It's like someone else already did that, someone like easy for me, sure, but somebody was out here, you know, as a comedian, hosting shows and shit and podcasting, and their gay ass got it. And because they got it, I don't have to. So like I see that, and I think it's pretty cool because lord knows, I took it for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well that's I mean, I'm looking at your posts again and I really like you ended it, you said, and I can't wait to be discriminated again for a new reason. So very funny. But I'm really glad that that. I'm glad that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still waiting. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: I'll come, I mean probably, but you know, if you ever check. I'm sure if you ever check any of those hidden folders on social.
Speaker 5: Media, I don't, but just don't. Don't do that, and it may never come.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna check it, Dodge.
Speaker 1: You'll get some real nice ones. Some you inspired me and I told my parents because of you, and you let me know I could be myself. Hey, I guess a real bad one. That's the beauty.
Speaker 3: Are you sure you don't want this? And it's a picture of a dick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll probably get some pictures. Probably anyone who texts their secret folder is going to get pictures of dicks. Okay, Well, Amber, where and how can the people find you? You have so much? You have books out there, you have a podcast, which I guessed on you have you have moving pictures on the TV that people can look at every week. Where can folks follow you and write your inspirational messages?
Speaker 3: People can? Yeah, they should be writing me messages. People can find me at Amber Ruffin across all social media things. I assume I shouldn't have said. I assume I think that's true.
Speaker 1: If you search Amber Ruffin, you will. You're gonna come up. I've done this and that you come.
Speaker 3: Up, so you'll find me and there.
Speaker 1: Fine, Yeah, find Amber. And can you say the name of your and Lacey's books on your podcast?
Speaker 3: Lacey and I have two books called You'll Never Believe What Happened To Lacey? Crazy Stories about Racism, and then the second one is called World Record Book of Racist Stories. Our podcast is called The Amber and Lacy, Lacey and Amber Show. I'm on Late Night with Seth Myers. I'm on Have I Got News for You? Which is a Shewan CNN and that can be found the next day on Max. And that's probably everything.
Speaker 1: And you're the Purple Eminem and I'm the Purple Eminem.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: So you can find Amber anywhere you eat em and M's Amber thank you so much for talking to me about those Thank you for letting me know that, like, I'm glad that the lesbians of Boom didn't let you down as a community, and just they're just worried, they're just weren't those people around. But we were lesbian and pretty good in your face at Boom. So I feel okay good. I was. I was worried we didn't lesbian hard enough, but we pretty hard. Realisbe had pretty hard? Okay? I am at Lauren Flans on Twitter, Lauren Underscore Flanns on Instagram, podcast is at Coming Out pod everywhere. This has been the three hundredth episode, y'all. Holy crap, thank you for listening all these three hundred years. That's not how it works, but you know what I mean. This will also be the last episode of the year. Not good yeah, yeah, America. It's the last episode of America. Have a good holiday season, have a good New Year's And I don't know the next time I'll be in your ear holes, but you'll know because suddenly you'll hear my voice and you'll be like, oh, Lauren's back in my ear holes.
Speaker 3: Havever you We did it.
Speaker 1: Bye.