Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Battleps and Nerds, the baseball podcast with a British twist. I am your host once again, Russell easam, and I am delighted to be joined once again by Ben.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, Ben?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Russell. He sounded a bit resigned there once again by Ben Well.
Speaker 1: I was trying to go with the rhyming thing to kind of like get it go, but I think it didn't quite give it. Maybe the gravitas that you were you were deserving. Otherwise the passion, the way that works the one who if I then speak to our other man who is one of us, Darius, that really didn't work either, Darius, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm good. Tottenham have won a trophy. All is right with the world object terrible game of football were fitting the two sides playing, but we'll take it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm good, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously from most Tottenham fans perspective, as a person who lives right next to Arsenal's stadium, it's quite amusing to hear them spend a year talking about how they're one of the best teams in European football, and then Tottenham winning trophy and they don't in European football, so that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: There has been a few.
Speaker 1: Talking points in baseball which will quickly cover before we get through what our main aspect today. Today we're going to walking through what we called the Surprising Nine. We're going through the positions that we're each going to come up with somebody who we think has prized us with their performances so far this year, and to make that good list of players that hopefully kind of like maybe some of them will continue, some of them won't. But we're just going to do a quick fire through of the things that have happened in baseball. Darius, the Orioles are bad. They got rid of their manager, who probably wasn't the reason why they were bad. Do we have any reason to think that they could be good?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we have reason to believe that the lineup will come around. I don't think we have any reason to believe that the pitching is going to be good. Not really clear if and or when Grace and Rodriguez will come back, and the rest of it is running on fumes, so they're too far gone. I think now it don't think it particularly matters. I think their playoff odds are down into the two three percent range. I'm pretty sure it would be like one of, if not the most implausible comebacks in Major League history. Now, if they were to somehow turn this around and make the playoffs, they've really just dropped so far out of the race. So we'll see. I mean, strange things have happened in baseball, but I think sixteen and thirty two at this point in the season, that's that's a long way back in the alist.
Speaker 2: Talking about the Al East.
Speaker 1: Then we had Soto taking a return visit to the Yankees. What are your thoughts on the booing and the turning around of the fans to Soto as he returned to the Bronx.
Speaker 3: Great fun. It was all part of the rivalry weekend, wasn't it, which had some quinde of odd rivalries sprinkled in there. But obviously Mets Yankees I like the idea of making that more of a rivalry because they don't tend to see each other very often. And yeah, we knew this was going to be fun with Sota coming back and the way that whole thing played out over the off season, and it seems like I mean, obviously Yankees fans were very upset with him because he signed with a different team, But it kind of seems like Mets fans are turning on him a little bit too, and not particularly happy with how he's performing, which I know we discussed with Nick a few weeks back as an overreaction because he has still been very good, and you know, we're like six weeks into a twelve year contract. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. But yeah, there does seem to be a little bit of animosity from all angles pointed towards so to at the moment, whether it be because he didn't choose the Yankees, whether it be a lack of effort, whether it be his defensive shortcomings. So yeah, that was a strange one to keep an eye on. But yeah, fun to see that rivalry get things going a little bit in May. It's not often you kind of see some of the atmospheres we saw over the weekend at this time of season. So from that front, I thought that was fun and exciting and hopefully the sign of more to come from a rivalry perspective across the sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mets fans, some of the Mets fans and not all of the Mets fans didn't cover themselves in particular good vibes when Lindor first started and had like a bit of a struggle exactly, so isn't new Otherwise when we talk about the rivalry series, a lot of sweeps over the weekend, a lot of sweep supply teams. We were not expecting the Angels sweeping the Dodgers. I think probably was something that none of us had on the cards. But obviously the only other big news in baseball is Jose Alvarado has now got an aid game suspension. We hear the same thing of all I took a was it a wait reduction medicine?
Speaker 2: I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't expect this to happen. It's like go on, boys and girls, like you're paid a lot of money, Like you shouldn't be putting anything into your body that you don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: Payton listening to Rob's quiz a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Quiz, so he didn't put the things that were not edible.
Speaker 3: The confusion.
Speaker 4: But the something of an industry is extremely unregulated. But if I was in a profession whereby I was being regularly tested for drugs, I would basically make sure I checked it absolutely everything I put in my body to ensure that I was not going to fail a drugs tests. And the number of times this happens, it's like, woops, didn't realize that was in there. It's just, yeah, I'm not sure that that's really what's happening.
Speaker 1: And also given the fact that it's like obviously he's not like on a massive contract or whatever, but that's like two million, two million dollars he's thrown away basically for being suspended.
Speaker 4: So yeah, maybe he thought it would give him better control. I don't know. I'm not sure what Elvarado would need to do this for. But here we are.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's our quick trip around what's actually happened in baseball. So now we're going to talk about the Surprising nine. So we're going to start off with a catcher. I haven't told Ben or Darius this, but I feel like it is the place to start. I will go first, given that I was the one who came up with this idea, and I'm going to highlight Will Smith. I don't think it's like this is not coming out of the blocks with like, oh my god, this is suddenly amazing that he's kind of like done this. But Will Smith is playing at the best level I think that we've seen him play. It's more back to the kind of like that twenty twenty one year that we all saw and was like, oh, like he's going to be like one of the best like hitting catchers in baseball and had they had a few years where he didn't quite meet that those highs. But I think what he's doing in that lineup is actually very important for the Dodgers right now because they don't have the same level of kind of depth in that lineup seem to have towards last year, and his contributions have been.
Speaker 2: Pretty strong.
Speaker 1: Darius and Ben, Where where does that fall on your scale of surprise?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it a pretty mediocre one to start off with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's a huge surprise because we've seen Will Smith be good for a while. But you are right, he's elevated his game this season and it's cool. It's almost like Michael Jordan I took that personally meme where the Dodgers, I feel like it's Dalton Rushing this season, who's the sort of top catching prospect that they've caught up and it's just completely elevated Will Smith's games another level now, and I feel like that's happened before, and forgetting who the Dodgers are, the sort of top catching prospect was a couple of years ago. But you know, Will Smith continues to be just so good that they cannot move him off that position or move him out of the lineup to fit these top guys in, even though you know he's not quite as herald a or wasn't certainly back as a prospect. But yeah, he's gone from like a good solid piece in that line up to maybe one of the best hitters on the team, which says a lot when you're as strong as as the Dodgers are. So I don't, yeah, I don't think it's a horrible shout. He's been really good. He's raised a level further than we thought he was going to this season. But you know, I knew who Will Smith was going into this year. I knew he was a good player, So from that perspective, it's not a huge surprise to see him have a very good six weeks to start the season.
Speaker 1: Darius, Where would this be on the percentile from Baseball prostectors.
Speaker 4: Pretty high up. I think probably in the eighty to ninety range, I would guess, without having looked, I'm not sure what Smith's protection was. He's always been a comfortably above average hitter, so it's not a shock that he is productive. But as you say, this is the most productive stretch of his career, even including I think twenty twenty, which obviously was not very many games. This is a new level for him. So yeah, we're towards the upper end. I tended to shy away from the guys with pedigree, the guys who have a track record of being great players, just because I am less surprised when they have hot stretches like this. If we gets to the end of the season and you know, he's still got a nine to fifty ops, then I'll probably be a bit more surprised than I am now. I guess this is this is like, you know, decent team ending up in the Champions League kind of level of surprise for me, I suppose, which we don't know who's in the Champions League this year, but that's that's where I'm at. I'm not shocked that he's going great, but it's better that's less less shocking than that, much less shocking than that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Darius, giving to that thought, who was who is your catcher that you've decided to highlight.
Speaker 4: I've gone for Ivon Herrera, which is a slightly weird one because he got hurt and missed a few weeks. But when he's been on the field, he has been absolutely mashing the Cards. Obviously cleared out the catcher spot by moving Contrarast to first base, and currently Ivan Herre is slashing four seventeen four eighty six, seven sixty seven. That's good for a two forty four ops plus. He's really mashing the ball as well. Well. He's one of the guys that if you go up to the top of the old stack cast leaderboard, he's right there. A few lower those thresholds, he's in eighteenth. He's barreling eleven point four percent in his plate appearances. Yeah, it just looks like a really, really good offensive catcher. So Cards seem to have made a good move clearing up that playing time for him. I'm sure this level of performance won't continue, but he genuinely seems like he's going to be a real offensive weapon for them going forward.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I will confess to having watched zero Ivan Herrera play appearances so far in twenty twenty five. But the stats speak for themselves. I mean, his numbers are very impressive, and as I Sari have said, the supporting metrics seem to show that he can hit the ball very, very hard, and if you can do that, you're going to generally be a pretty good hitter. The Cardinals have got a good track record of developing catchers, I'd say, And so, yeah, this is an exciting one. And well, as you can tell, not someone that I really had on my radar coming into this season. So I say, on the surprise, you know, scale pretty high up. Trying to think of an adequate comparison. Maybe Leinster getting knocked out of the Champions Cup by Northampton Saints. That's one for the rugby fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I would be surprised if this was one hundred and forty play play. It's worth of one hundred and forty plate appearance worth. We're not like the seventy to eighty that kind of like it actually is. He has missed some times, so those outlandish numbers kind of get. It's still lost in the fact that, like we know, like some people can just go hot, some people can just go like mental. For like it's effectively less than twenty games, it's still like remarkable, but because it's such like a small sample size, it's more like no, no, like they'll say even to take this season, like the Padres starting the season like eleven and o or whatever, twelve and o wherever they got to. So it's like it's something you could believe. It was still surprising that it actually happened, but kind of it then fizzled out and didn't kind of like continue on.
Speaker 2: With that, I mean.
Speaker 1: Obviously, especially like with what's kind of happened. I think I would say to Ben's point, I have seen I think three of his plate appearances. I think I any watched the card to play one game so far this season, So from a actually watching game perspective, I do not have much knowledge on him. Ben, round us off with the catchers. Who are you going for?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I threatened this before we started, but I've gone for Colorado Rocky here, And anytime you can get a player in on a team that's eight and forty one, you just have to do it. So I'm shouting out my guy Hunter Goodman, who has been one of the only bright spots in yeah, a black hole of darkness for the Rockies this season. Certainly not someone that anyone would have had on the railer coming into this year unless you were a really die hard Rockies fan, but he's been great. One hundred and fourteen WRC plus, one of the only good hitters in Colorado. I don't know if I see this continuing. His plaid spin is not great. He strikes out a lot, but he hits the ball hard. And like, if you're a catcher who hit who has power and is you know, okay behind the plate, which Goodman is, then you know that that probably plays. And so for the Rockies, that's, you know, something good to hang your hat on. I don't think he's going to be an All Star, don't think it's going to be, you know, in the running for any awards at the end of the season, but he's been good and I just wanted to give him a shout out. On the sort of surprise rankings, I compared this to the number five seeded Chinese Taipe pay pair of Cheng ea Ching and Lead Yu Jun falling to the unseeded career of public duo with Kim Nayong and Lie Yun Kai. Sorry for the pronunciation. In the twenty twenty five it t TF World Championships. This year undoubtedly a very big upset. Unfortunately no one cares deep.
Speaker 4: Cut that was. That was a real deep cut.
Speaker 3: But facing the Rockies, that's really exactly if a tree falls in the words, if Huntter Goodman has a breakout season for the twelve winning Colorado Rockies, does anyone?
Speaker 1: But it was like that I saw somebody hit like a their first home run at the Rocky Stadium, and like the fan gave the ball back and he was like and got he got a back given to and he's like, oh, this is great. I've only just been getting into baseball like this year, and it's like and he's going to Rockies games. You're like, like, all right, we will move on to first base this time. And I think I'll go first again and have to kind of maybe get a bit of a mayor culpa, because there was definitely a few times in towards the end of last season and before the start of this season that I've called someone Paul old Schmidt and I'm kind of being made to eat my words so far this season with with with Goldie's performance, is it, I'm still not It's surprising to me, given I think the stretch of like how bad he had basically performed in the in the last few seasons, that a trip up to Manhattan has basically taken him from base he hitting at what was basically just got himself down to like league average, and he's now back up to I think he's sat at basically some close to basically his career highs as he is right now. Is it lineup protection? Is it kind of like is it a torpedo bat? I don't know, but like Goldie is looking every bit of the player that he did in like twenty fifteen twenty sixteen, which is utterly remarkable as far as I'm concerned. One for me, I would put this one with the three and one come back for the Cavaliers in twenty sixteen against the against the Golden State Warriors. Looked like dead and buried and somehow has kind of made his way back to almost a victory.
Speaker 4: Darius Cord his way back from elimination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I laughed at the contract, but the Yankees signed him.
Speaker 4: I kind of like this deal, So I didn't think about this one. You're right that, given his age, that is somewhat surprising that he has bounced back to this level. I don't think he is back to peak belge Bit level. I think we'll see that regress a little bit. But I loved the fit. I thought it was a great place for a left handed to hit, obviously, and I thought it would be a nice bounce back opportunity for him that the power is down. I think you know that there's been a bit of good fortune on the bad balls. I think you'll see this much closer to a league average line by the end of the year. But I did think that he could be a respectable, useful every day here for that lineup, and it looks like that's going to be a good.
Speaker 3: As much as I'd love to say that I also saw this coming, I didn't, so I'm going to issue a Mayo Copper two. Although I'm going to mostly blame you for this, Russ, But I also thought that Goldman was cooked and that, you know, his his days of being productive were over. But I could not be more delighted to have been wrong. I mean, he's a really fun player was so good for so long, obviously in Arizona and then in then Saint Lewis, and it's yeah, fun to see him be great again in the middle of that lineup. And yeah, as Darius said, I don't see this lasting all season, and certainly at his age, you know, it feels like the wear and tear of a year or injuries could could easily take their toll. But a really fun renaissance even if that's all it is from Goldschmidt so far this season. Cool to see him, yeah, back up there showing he can still do it at the top level at age thirty seven. One of the guys who was kind of coming up when I first got into the sport. So it's fun to see him still sort of hanging about and being productive. So yeah, I like that. Cool credit to Paul gold Schmidt Darrins.
Speaker 2: What Are You Going to Go? Which is a far more niche pick Aranda.
Speaker 4: I had two names of my list. One of them is Randa. See I'll take Jonathan Randa, maybe Ben will take the other. Anyway, Jonathan Randa is one of those guys who it feels like we've been talking about him, you know, as a guy break through this year for five years, maybe like four or five years, which is not far off. He did first come up in twenty twenty two, and the Rays being the race, he's never quite found the playing time to show it, and when he has played, he's never really been super impressive, so of course sort of forced their hand until this year, and now he does look like that real offensive force. He's kind of tailed off a little bit since a super hot start, but he's still one fifty seven wrs plus right now, and he looks like he has finally lift up to some of that potential. So I wouldn't say that I was like super shocks, because there was always this buzz that like, yeah, the Ray is still believing around there, and you know, whenever the playing time clears up, they'll they'll find room for him. But it was starting to feel a little bit like, you know, we've waited too long. This feels a bit like maybe what's the come for this, Like you know, Peyton Manning winning that second Super Bowl, you know where it seemed like the window had gone and then and then he came. And not that he had that much to do with that Super Bowl, that was all the defense, but you know what I mean. We had to wait, but finally it's happened.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you mentioned it like I think he is probably like breakout candidate, breakout candidate, breakout candidate, breakout candidate, and the joke of somebody who actually probably still is a breakout candidate because he's not broken out so many times that if you call it, it's like the what's the other one? It's like a clock is a broken clock is right two times in a day. So if you say he's going to break out every single time, like at some point someone might just break out. But you know, it's good to see him do that. And obviously with the race setup it's always a bit of a with then wheeling and dealing and moving players in and around quite often. This he's finally got this opportunity to to do well. Ben, who have you gone for as a first baseman?
Speaker 3: It was a roundabout way of getting there, But now he's broken out. Sorry, I was workshopping in my brain for the last sixty seconds, but I think I would have stuck the landing the player I've gone with. I don't know if this is the one Darius was considering, but it's Spencer Talk. We have talked about him on the pod before about his sort of breakup start of the year. Again, another guy, maybe even more so than Miranda, that we all had been waiting for the breakout to come from. He was once i think one of the top hitting prospects in baseball, certainly a guy that was seen as almost a can't miss hitter. Like you know, there's always the question about he's not going to be a great defender. He may be a DH fairly soon, but he's going to rake at the big league level and he just had not been able to do that until this season, and it kind of felt like this was very much his last chance. But he's tapping into that power. I think he's up to twelve or thirteen home runs now. His statcast page has a ton of red on it. It's, you know, all the good stuff when it comes to barrowing the ball up and hitting the ball hard. He draws walks, he's cut the strikeouts down. So yeah, there's reason to believe that this is a real breakout. And as we say, maybe not shocking because a guy that everyone knew about and who had been you know, talked about as the next great hitter on the Tigers for a number of years now, but he really made us wait for it. So yeah, my comp was actually Spurs in the Europa League. Like, you knew the talent was there, but you didn't think it would take this long for it to happen. So yeah, good for Spencer Talkerson to to finally have his moment and a big part of why the Tigers obviously have had such a good start to the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another guy who is what a very very high prospect at some point, was he who had been the top ten at most places he.
Speaker 4: Would have been Yeah, I don't I don't know if anybody would have had him number one overall, but I'm sure people would have had him top five. He was considered, Yeah, can't miss, no doubt, slam dunk, you know, middle of the autoto hitter. Yeah, it looks like MLB had him third at one point. BA had him fifth two consecutive years. We had him fourth at BP the year before he was called up, So yeah, everybody thought this guy was a you know, no doubt, going to really succeed right away, really polished college hitter, and actually it took him four years. Baseball is hard.
Speaker 2: Baseball is hard. Okay, we were on a second base.
Speaker 1: I'll let somebody else go first this time, Darius, who you want to take a pick from?
Speaker 4: I'm going to take Tommy Tanks. Tommy Edmund somehow becoming a power hitter at this point in his career, which a just if you said at any point in Tommy Edmund's career that he was a power hitter, I think people would have been like, what, because you know, we've all seen Tommy Edmond. He's not a big guy. He looks like most of what Tommy Edmund's game is, which is, you know, speedy, utility guy, guy that you love to have in your team, does a little bit of everything. Definitely not going to hit more than thirteen home runs, which is his career high. He has eight through one hundred and thirty five plate appearances, and he seems to have figured out how to really tap into the limited amount of strength he does have, and he seems to have done it a bit by sort of embracing that his power from the right hand side of the plate. Ben Clemens wrote a good I think was Ben Cubins Now. Dave Andrews wrote a good piece about this at fangross about Edmund sort of really leading into swinging hard from that side of the plate. So he's got this massive platoon spit where he's sort of got no power as a lefty switch here and lots of power as a righty, which is quite interesting in itself. So always kind of like Tommy Edmund, fun guy to watch play. Obviously, the poor Dodgers need another breakout candidate, So Dodgers, it's so Dodgers. Yeah, absolutely, So. I feel like this is a bit like when Ryan Giggs was sort of, you know, the speedy winger was that was what he was, and he was coming into the twilight of his career and he suddenly just became this like genius central midfielder, playmaker type, completely different from what he was in the rest of his career when everybody was like, oh, he's, you know, thirty four, he's going to retire soon, and then suddenly he was a different guy completely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think obviously like beloved in LA for his involvement in obviously getting the that World series last year, but it was it's remarkable to see like how much when I was out of the games, like how much they did like love him, like he was one of the people who got like the response that you would expect like some of the top players to get, but.
Speaker 2: Him and Key k.
Speaker 1: Were beloved by that Dodgers fat group, Ben, who is your second base?
Speaker 3: I'm sticking with the Tigers. I'm taking Clavor Torres again. I'll hear arguments that he doesn't count, because you know, he's been a good player for a while, and before that was a well known prospect, so it's not exactly a name that people won't have heard of. But he's shown signs of being a very different and more productive player so far this year with the Tigers. He's actually walking more than he strikes out so far this season, which he never showed that kind of plate discipline with the Yankees, and those are some of the quickest metrics to kind of stabilize over the course of the season. So although it's a fairly small sample, I think we can probably safely say he's made some kind of adjustment the plate that allows him to yeah to see the ball a lot better, draw more walks, and strike out less, which is always a good recipe as as a hitter. Obviously passed its one hundred and twenty nine, which is obviously a good number, and yeah, he you know, he's not flashy. Still, it's not going to be thirty home runs, it's not going to be thirty steals. But he plays okay defense and he's putting a bat on the ball and hitting it hard and walking a decent clip. So that's a good productive player. And you know, not that he was a bad player with the Yankees, but I think we all saw him into free agency as like a stay away candidate because his profile didn't look great. He's obviously entering the back end of his twenties. There's all the height that always comes with Yankees players, where you kind of think once they go somewhere else, they're not going to be quite as good. But actually he's been nothing but productive so far, along with Torcusin, along with bayas players who've stepped up when the Tigers needed them to and become really important, you know, members of that lineup. So, yeah, not the sexy pick of a guy that no one heard of coming into this season, but I wanted to shout out Labor for showing signs of becoming a much more polished or round hitter, and yeah, a very good player for for the Tigers. Oh my comp this is like a huh ah, didn't expect that. So I've just put this down as Southampton holding city to a no and Neil draw a couple of weeks back, Like, oh, yeah, I mean that will happen sometimes. I just didn't think maybe the once to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a pretty reasonable comparison. I think I might have said this at least to Darius and a few other people, that I've been a believer in Labor for probably too long in the last like three years to be that like now, his underlying metrics show that like he's he should he should bounce back, he should bounce back, he should bounce back, and well this year he finally has. Maybe it's the same way were seeing it around as a breakout Candida Labor has been that bounce back. Karen did it for for a few years. So this one is the one that I've believed in but didn't necessarily know that was gonna was gonna happen for.
Speaker 2: For for a while.
Speaker 1: But uh, I wrong early, Yeah, Darius, any thoughts on Labor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's interesting to see the evolution. I think Scott Harris has done a pretty good job with the players he's acquired. You know, he hasn't done a lot of missing. I think he's obviously a pretty shrewd talent evaluator. And yeah, Glabur's improvement seem pretty legit. He has always been kind of a devis divisive guy, I think, so, yeah, good to see him rebounding and making this Tigers team actually pretty much like a genuine threat to go Viara in the postseason this year, which is a weird thing to be saying, but I seem to be keeping it up, so yeah, long may it continue?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's for me, It's like And then I looked at second second base and I looked at a few people to be like, is there actually anybody really massively standing out in this position to be what kind of was better than they were? And I kind of just came back to I think we just have to talk about Brendan Donovan being like he's being He's progressing from being good to potentially being like great, Like this could be like a five war season out of him. This could be like someone who is like should be on that All Star team come the end of the season. Now, and he's played a lot of positions and whether is he probably still actually technically a second baseman, probably just but I think looking at like some of his numbers this season, like he's actually kind of like getting there. He doesn't have a he's got a pretty still got a reasonable babbit that's above maybe what you would expect, but it's not looking like to outlandish from kind of like the underlying figures. And so him kind of taking that step further forward and that kind of like that continued kind of progression is you're kind of going like, oh, like this is actually now something that like we should kind of really think about and actually do we have to start to consider him about being kind of like one of the the bigger hitters, Like my, my, My sporting comparison would be like, oh, it's like do we think not Ingham Forest might actually be like a good football team watching their performances in the last qw s in the Premier League, being like, oh, actually, do I have to think about them being a tough at bad or a tough team to play against next season?
Speaker 4: Devil Magic, Yeah I can say that, all right, well answer.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we'll moved swiftly on to third base. Then, Ben, do you want to lead us off this time, I can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I struggled a bit with this one. I could re see anyone that I loved who You know, I didn't come into this year thinking would be would be rubbish and has turned out to be great. So I've maybe gone for a bit of a cop out answer in isaac parades of the Astros. Who again, I think we all thought was going to be pretty good this year. He's he was pretty good last year, has been pretty good for a few years now. But I think rightly we all saw his pool heavy, right handed swing and thought that's going to line up well with the craw for boxes in Houston, and sure enough it has. And you know he's he's hitting for power using that that short porch. But he's also showed improved plate discipline again that walks up strikeouts down. He's making hard contact to well, I was gonna say to all fields, but it's mostly just to left field. But yeah, he's showing signs of being maybe even better than he was the last couple of years and taking his game to the next step again, like he's probably gonna put up career best power numbers. How much you want to attribute that to yeah, the ballparker is up to you, but I think, you know, like at the end of the day, run production is run production wherever you play, and I think he deserves credit for matching up his skills with the field he plays at. So yeah, shout out to Praide's a guy who I think we all saw as a guy who could, you know, if not break out, have a career year this year taking advantage of where he's playing, and he seems to be doing it.
Speaker 2: Darius, your third basement.
Speaker 4: I have gone for the Kansas City Rars. Mike el Garcia's currently hitting three point fifteen been worth one point six war. Looks like a very handy piece for that team, which is, you know, not scuffling a bit, but yeah, approach of the plate, it's great, doesn't strike out a lot, and just kind of a good all around guy. I don't think this will continue. It's not the kind of thing that I'm looking at the stats and going, yeah, I think this guy is going to be like the third best third basement in baseball at the end of the year. Seems like it's a mirage, but fun to watch what it lasts, and I think it's a He's a good, good complimentary piece for that that world's.
Speaker 1: Too yes and to or go finish this kind of quick fire round of the basement, I'm going to take Zach mcinstry. Do I think that his performances are going to continue? Kind of know, when you have a twenty five percent strikeout rate, and in Major League Baseball, it's never really a good sign that things are going to come. But he has hit well, has it like and it's kind of like has a good solid walk rate for him up in twelve percent. Another one of these players that's just kind of doesn't really have like power, doesn't really have speed, but it's kind of been a solid part of that line up at Detroit this year and it's kind of enabled kind of has been driven in if a few times by the other guys on that lineup that have kind of taken that that approach. So for one for me that I was I was surprised. I thought kind of mcinstry's days as were numbered as kind of one of these kind of like utility players who probably isn't quite good enough to to get an actual kind of like starting position, but he seems to have got that in pretty much lockdown now at Detroit obviously kind of still in that super utail role, but has has definitely probably potentially playing like the season of his career.
Speaker 4: We're picking a lot of Tigers here. I don't know what this says about the Tigers.
Speaker 2: It says we were all a little bit surprised.
Speaker 1: Does say that, yeah, okay, we were final position of the infield to shortstop And I'm going to go first so I can get the really easy answer, Heraldo Padomo.
Speaker 2: Do we all just want to say snap?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: We can move quickly on if someone actually definitely snap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is by far the most surprising thing that's happening sure stop this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: I did a tiny bit of analysis for this, comparing the Zips productions to the start of the season to what effectively kind of like they're on pace productions are for the rest of the season. And Poedomo had a basically a two point was it two point two war protection for the start of the season. He has kind of already passed that at two point eight, and currently the estimate that I have him roughly at is about nine point one. If he was to continue this for kind of like potentially like for the rest of the season, which is a bit ridiculous when you.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody quite thought that Harald Podomo was a close to ten War player. Even probably the mother did not think that highly of him. So it's one of those ones where you're just like, they gave him that contract, and I think everybody was a little bit just like, oh, yeah, okay, he's a good bit part player like that. That's a solid thing to kind of like you've got to have a few of those guys to kind of like fill in and be like the bottom of the lineup. But it's good to kind of know who those guys are going to be. Oh wait, no, he's actually now the best player on your team. He's better than Corby and Carroll is better than can Tell Marte. This this, this one is is a shock to me. This is this is a like a wig In winning the FA Cup sort of level of kind of like a level of shock to me.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I keep waiting for him to plummet down the War leader board, and he keeps rising higher. If anything. This yeah, it's been a pretty remarkable start to the season. I think in my brain I see his name and I think of Luis Paedomo, and I'm like, that guy's not good at baseball. Just looked him up. He's apparently playing in Japan now. But yeah, Heraldo clearly legit this. This has been really impressive to start the season. Like you say, I mean, the Dbacks have some very talented young players, and he maybe is looking like being the best of them. I mean, a nine win pace is insane. He's put himself among the game's elite shortstops. And look, let's not get totally carried away. It is still only a couple of months into the season, and I imagine he will slow down this pace somewhat over the rest of the year. I don't think he's a nine win player. I'm happy to be prove him wrong. But yeah, what an amazing breakout year he's having that it does feel like people aren't really talking about I like, maybe that's just because all I ever see on social media is Otani's recent home run or you know, Mets fans being Soto. But it kind of feels like it's gone a bit under the radar because I guess he's not hitting tape measure home runs and he's not doing the stuff that they really grabs your attention from a highlights perspective. But yeah, he just keeps putting up quality at bats and racking up the wins above replacement and at this point we can't ignore it any longer. So I also had him as my shortstop breakout candidate Darius.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I also wrote down Pidomo this is pretty shocking. I think, like you, it was. You know, he's fine, It's a decent like you know, averagish kind of players, good defender, not going to hit him a lot. So I am shocked to see this level of performance. I think if he made it to the end of the season then it would be like this. Then it would be Leicester City when the Premier League levels performance we'll see as a long way to go yet, I think I don't think that that hitting will be where it is now in four months time. But incredibly impressive start and Diane Baxter looking very clever right now. I guess the other guy I was thinking about is Jacob Wilson for the AIDS. Also looks like a very handy ball player, and I think you know he was he was a good prospect. But I think everybody said, you know, the question is is he going to hit enough? And right now he does look like he's not only going to be that, you know, Luisa Rice Stephen quan type player, but also that he might might have a little bit more power than people thought. And I think if Wilson's even a double digit home run guy with his defensive skills, then he's going to be a very good player of the A's for a very long time. So I'm also surprised to see how well he is hitting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think I can maybe take an early victory lap on One of my breakout players that we predicted ear the on of the season was Jacob Wilson. I can be completely nottly benched and probably thrown into the the rubbish bin for my predictions on Brian Rochio as another short stop.
Speaker 4: Do they cancel each other out?
Speaker 2: They cancel each other out?
Speaker 1: Probably probably predictions point of view, doesn't really cancel each other out. From Cleveland's point of view, sadly, the one that basically has basically been garbage and has been demoted to driple a is the one on my team. Okay, let's hit the outfield. I don't know, I don't particularly kind of want to go left field, right field, center field here. So we'll just kind of work our way through multiple different outfielders. If we've got probably nine in total that we'll kind of talk through. Ben, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 3: I'll take the easy one. Then I'll take Pete crow Armstrong. I think we all liked him as a player as a prospect and thought he was going to be good. I don't think we thought he was going to be one of the best players in baseball good in his rookie season, which is kind of what he's been. And yeah, he's got it all. He's got the hitting ability that I think is far beyond where we thought he was going to be for this stage of his career. He's putting up great numbers at the plate, partly because he stretches every single into a double and every double into a triple, which does help your batting line. But also he's just, yeah, I think much more advance as a hitter than we thought he was going to be. And then you add on to that obviously the speed and the defense, which you know, the metrics absolutely love him out there in center field, and the he passes the eyetes too, like he is making game changing players for the Cubs seemingly, you know, almost every night at this point, so rare that you see a guy as a rookie become immediately the best player on their team. And the only appropriate comeback to think of, and I almost feel bad putting this on him at this point is Mike Trout putting up ten wins as a rookie. It kind of feels like Petekra Armstrong is doing Mike Trout's sort of stuff so far this season. Not gonna drag that comparison out too much because again unfair to PCA, but he's he's looking like, yeah, that kind of one of the best players in baseball players at this station in his career, and that is a very exciting prospect for Cubs fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last week I was wax and Miracle still continues to do amazing he is. To me, it's it's Ken Griffey level stuff at center. It's like it's that combination of defense, speed, and power, which as much as we love Trout, he never quite kind of like combined all of those three things together. Like at the same time, Darius, are there any more superlatives that we need to say about PCA?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. No, much like Wilson. I guess the question was how much is he going to hit? I don't think anybody doubted how good he was defensively, and so far it looks like he's going to hit quite a bit. Doesn't need to hit this much to be an immensely valuable player, but if he does, then he's going to be, you know, a perennial All Star MVP candidate. He can keep up anything like this level of offensive performance.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, onto you, Darius, to give us another outfielder.
Speaker 4: I've got another Rocky. I did actually have a look at leftfield, Tenierfield and Ryefield and the left field I've put Jordan Beck, who is much like his mate Hunter Goodman, doing his level best to have a respectable season amidst this absolute train wreck of a team. Yeah, Jordan Beck is he's got an eight to sixty three APS. Is one of the very rare Rockies who's actually above average offensively. I think there might only be three of them, and Ezequiel Tabor is barely there, so it's basically just Beck and Goodman. Ben may have more to say about what he thinks of the long term longevity, but yeah, he seems like he's got a good, good all around game and he's twenty four year old, to a little bit of hope for the future maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been good to see from god Don Beck, and I will hold my hands up. I did not have him down as a Rocky I thought was going to be doing this this season. You know, at first I thought he was honestly blocking playing time for Zach Viane, who felt like a much more likely breakout candidate, and that has not been the case at all. And Beck has really hit the ball hard, So yeah, I agree that I don't know he's going to keep this up long term. The strikeout rate is pretty alarming, but the power is legit, and you know, he's young and he'll have time to work this out a little bit more. It's certainly a very good step forward from where he was last season, where he looked very lost at the plate in the sort of limited playing time that he got. So yeah, look, not many silver linings on this extremely dark cloud of a season for the Rockies, but Beck can put his hand up and be pretty proud of his performances so far. So yeah, hopefully he can continue to Rake in the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I will take I will go to another team that has not particularly played well, but someone has showed not any ridiculous level of before so far, and that is Kyle Stowers for the Miami Marlins. Stowers came across with Norby and the Trevor Rodgers deal and did not look particularly good at playing baseball last year. And once again I was doing the have Miami somehow managed to get a good player trade them and somehow immediately lose the trade like they seem to do in every single major trade that they've ever done. But in this season, he's after coming out with he's hit ten home runs already, to have like power that we just not would not be expecting like at all. And yeah, I think he's He obviously still has that high strikeout rate, which is the the alarming side to it. He's got a pretty high babbit behind what he's done so far, but having that one hundred and fifty five WRC plus is just something that was not expected like whatsoever and kind of was really kind of like expecting him to kind of just be another one of those kind of failed rejects at kind of at that kind of like at that level, but as somehow kind of shown that maybe like he there is a little bit more to him than then meets the eye, and maybe Baltimore were a little bit loose in letting him go early. I try to think back on like who this could be or something like that I maybe go with. I'm trying to think of some of the footballers who've been loaned out and then turned out they had to buy them back. Not quite going to say he's sadder level of a bad business yet, but that could be.
Speaker 2: I could be where this where this is at at some point.
Speaker 4: That might be in the pressure a little bit too high at this point in his career, but the Orophones could certainly do with some offense right now.
Speaker 3: Styles on my list as well. Yeah he's he's been really good, and yeah it's like nice, you know, for their minds to have something to cheerful a team that have not had a time of players who've lived up to the prospect hype. I think I'm probably sick of acquiring guys who have got pedigree and then seeing them sadly flame out of the major league level. Star wars seems to be at least for a short period bucking that trend and looking comfortable against major league pitching. So yeah, I don't know how much this will continue at the current level given the strikeouts, but he's, you know, he's I think he's going to be a legit power hitter and that that will play so good for him and good for Marlins fans.
Speaker 2: All right, Ben, give us another one.
Speaker 3: Then we should talk about James Wood. I guess I thought this guy was going to suck. I don't really know why. I think I just saw how big he was and that he struck out loads in the minors, and I was like, this is just not going to work on a major league level, Like he's going to get figured out by you know, elite level Velo's going to get figured out by elite level pitching, and he's going to be, you know, a Joey Gallo type who, yeah, okay, hits the occasional take measure home run, but just isn't contributing enough outside of that to be worthy of the prosper ranking he was given and worthy of obviously being the sort of blockbuster name in the Soso trade. Well, I was dead wrong. He looks at every part the accomplished power hitter that the power is obviously thegit. I think his stack cast exit vela numbers are like gian Carlo Stanton esque in terms of the upper end of those figures, which hugely a good sign when you hit the ball that hard. But he's also you know, he is still striking out a lot, but he's drawing walks and he's somehow maintaining pretty high babbit so you know, he's hitting to eighty five, it's not like he's hitting two hundred and so he's turned into, yeah, a really legit player, stealing a few bases too. He looks like he's a decent athlete in the outfield too, certainly got a strong arm, So yeah, look a Maya kulper I thought Wood was going to be someone who took a while to figure out major league pitching and maybe never would, and he seems to have figured it out in his second season and looks like he's going to be at the heart of that that National sign up for years to come. So probably not a shock for guys like you who actually thought Wood was as good as as the prospect list said he was, but for me a bit of a surprise to see him be quite as accomplish as he has been so far this year.
Speaker 2: I think Darius can take us.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not surprised why James would been good.
Speaker 2: So I think maybe you're surprised he's this good like me straight away.
Speaker 4: I'm a little bit surprised he's this good this quickly. Like you know, I think you expect some level of learning curve. But yeah, I don't think if you'd said to me James would will be one of the best, it is the best forall this season. I would have been that shot.
Speaker 1: To be honest, Darius, give us someone who has been surprising to you, then.
Speaker 4: Well let me tell you Trent Grisham, what is happening here. Trent Grisham wasn't even supposed to play, like he was just going to be the fourth outfielder for the Yankees, and you know, they've had some injuries and Aaron Judge isn't really a center fielder, and Trent Grisham's just kind of forced their hand and made them play him every day because somehow he is not only return to former levels that you know, made people think he might be a great player enter in his career, but faster pass them is it twelve home runs already, he's got a nine forty two ops. This is all like, yeah, age age twenty eight, mega breakout, it seems like, and it sounds like it's mostly happened just because he's decided to be a bit less passive at the plate. He's not taking quite as many walks as he used to, but he's more than made up up for it with that power. So yeah, well we'll see whether we can keep it up all season. I know a lot of people were sort of on the Grishian bandwagon for a long time and he bounced around and never quite seemed to keep up that level of talent. But yeah, I thought Tranent Grisham was going to get like two hundred and fifty play appearances this year. I certainly didn't expect him to be one of the better center fielders in the Mages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's one that's definitely shocked a lot of us. Given like that outfield, there was possibilities because did you, like, what do you think of like you're going to get from Jason Domingers and a few of the others that were there. But Grisham, he's had had to earn that seat, and he's kind of kept it in, kept it going. I think I'll go for something that's maybe quite similar to that. Then in Javier Baias, like what on earth's going on here?
Speaker 2: Like he is.
Speaker 1: Having his kind of like season. He's probably surpassed his war for the previous seasons combining the first previous three seasons combined for a Detroit. I know he hasn't quite yet because he actually the first season was he was reasonable. It wasn't amazing, but he was reasonable. But like the last two seasons Detroit were ugly, and I don't quite know what's changed because he's still basically is striking out twenty twenty five percent of the time. He has a three percent walk rate. His babbit now is actually in the three hundreds, which is where like it used to be a not in the low two hundreds like it was last year, So it may bit of block's gone back in the direction. But he's got a one twenty five WRC plus that's something that Abby Bias has not done at any point in his career. I Prorom like his breakout. He's probrom his big season in twenty eighteen, so it's like this is this is utterly like me talking about like gold Schmidt earlier on saying that he was done, like Bias was done, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, if if Chris, if Christian wasn't going to play, then there was an argument we made for just cutting Bias from the team completely, right, Yeah, if he didn't have the contract, was that bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't have the contract that he had, and the optics probably of defaying him, he would have been gone. So I'm trying to think of, like you have somebody who's basically just being paid a lot it has basically done nothing and then just suddenly pops back up again and kind of like does something like utterly amazing, Like this feels that like it's kind of the end of Like I don't want to if it's a bit harsh on saying things like David Beckham's time at like AC Milan or whatever, where he's basically just gone there to have some jollies and then done nothing and then just pops up with like an main incredible moment every now and then. But I'm struggling to find the other comparison in sport to this, because it was just like he's done, Like this was not supposed to happen.
Speaker 3: I'm loving it. I mean, he got he's been getting such stick with the Tigers, and you know, not without due course. He's been singing at pictures that have bounced halfway to a play at times. But we all thought his career was done right, and like you said, Darius, like people were calling for him to be just cut from the team and just eat the money and pay him to go play for someone else, and so fair play, like not only did he move to another position without complaining and seems to be pretty legit out in center field or certainly making some eye catching plays. But yeah, he's starting to put it together a little bit with a bat again. How sustainable it is, I don't know, But I always loved watch him by his player Like, no think I've ever seen anyone who made playing the in field look so cool. So to see him now and make the outfield look just that call to ten years later is just really cool.
Speaker 2: All right, Ben, give us your last outfielder.
Speaker 3: Last one. I'm going to shout out Tyler Sodastrom. I was unsure has to put him into the first base or outfield c casgory, especially because I think most of his production came at first base, but he has now moved to the outfield, and I think he has now hit at least one home run as an outfielder, so I'm gonna call him out here. He slowed down after his initial tear. I think he was like leading the majors and home runs after the first three weeks, but he's still having a really good season. Another guy alongside Jacob Wilson who looks like he's going to sort of help Banker that A's lineup for a little while here. The the bat is really good. I have no idea what he's like playing in the outfield. I'm going to assume not good. The bat is legit, he draws walks, he hits for power, and yet he seems to have kind of figured out whatever that mini slump was that he had after his initial move to the outfield. So certainly not a guy that was on many people's radars, mostly because of where he plays team wise, but he seems to be showing that he's going to be a useful bat at the very least, and maybe more than that if he can can make more Jostinson get back to that history was for the first three weeks too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Daris, do we think it was a there's a lot of discussion now it being a bad decision about taking him from first phase and putting him in the outfield and actually being like, yeah, you know what, do some movement and it's like you could just let the guy who was raking just continue with what he was doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I understand the impulse. It's nice to see the reason they did it was to get Nick Kurtz and the like that. You know, we always complain about teams not promoting their prospects who are obviously need to be in the majors, and I think Kurtz probably is also going to be a very good hitter. So I understand that they wanted to do that to create the space. But I did feel a bit bad for Sodastrum, whose reward for being one of the best sittings in baseball for a months was to have to do a position change mid season, which seems a little bit mean. But maybe he'll say, Aileen, yeah, I don't. I don't think he's going to be a very good outfielder. But while they've got Brent Ricker on this team, while they've got Kurts on the team. If they're not going to put him back behind the plate, which presents its own problems, then they're kind of stuck with this. And if he can be an passable outfielder, then he has got home of power in the bat, which is what you need to carry that corner out front spot. So yeah, I hope it won't affect him longer term. I think he still has only hit the one home and since they stuck him out there, but hopefully that turns around and you can kind of recapture some of that early season.
Speaker 2: Four, I don't give us your last outfielder.
Speaker 4: I think I'm going to have to go with William A. Brew and a. Brewer had a pretty nice little season last year, but not to the extent that he has been having this season. The Red Sox continue to sort of use him as a strong side platoon guy, so they are shielding him from those lefties. But he's actually been kind of unlucky this season, and that's you know, he's got in the eight fifty ops, so that tells you the kind of year is having. He's up to eleven homes already on the year. Just looks like a good consistent offensive force. I wasn't quite sure what to believe about him after last season and the strikeout rate was a little bit high, but he seems to have brought that down and looks like one of the bigger threats and what it's pretty post Red Sox lineup, so it seems like he's here to stay. And yeah, not not shocked that he's a good hitter, but I'm mildly shocked that he's a great hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's one is the one. Like the.
Speaker 1: Some of it, you're like, the numbers have definitely protected by not platoon being slightly like platoon and not having to kind of get that, so you kind of he doesn't get some of the maybe the negative equity that other players do get from being forced to kind of go against that. But now he's been one of the highlights of that Boston team so far, and to finish off the outfield, I kind of feel wrong, but I kind of feel like I have to say Aaron Judge because like, to me, this is like my I actually thought I thought about this, and I think that this is basically like this is like Aaron Judge is Manchester United in the late nineties, Like he's gonna win things. He's gonna be amazing. But Judge right now is potentially like the treble winning team. Like it just everything is like going like to the point where he could be having like a thirteen or fourteen war season, which is just unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Like we all know that he's great.
Speaker 1: We know that he could kind of like probably get two thirds of the way there, like he could win the Premier League and get the FA Cup, but getting that Champions League on top of it, getting his few extra war that has kind of like eluded him so far. He's had two eleven war seasons. Like, yes, he needs to stay fit and played like the entire season, but like if he gets to that kind of twelve thirteen fourteen character like level, I'm sorry, it's like we didn't predict this, Like it is like Bonzian level stuff that we're talking about here, and it's just it's just ridiculous, and I think we still need to say that, Like what he's doing is ridiculous and it is more than we anticipated.
Speaker 4: It is sort of like any of the truly elite guys when when Ronaldo and Messi were kind of hitting their peak, or Federer and Nadal Djokovic, whoever. It is the guys who you're sort of like, oh, they're already so good, you know, they can't possibly get any better. And then somehow they come out and they get better. You know, they just take over games and they raise it to yet another level. And that that does seem to be what Judge is doing. And yeah, nobody is surprised that he's the best hitter in the game, but I think you're right to say that the fact that he is this good is pretty astounding because we know, in any of our times as baseball fans, we have never seen anybody this good at hitting. I think it is worth mentioning that as often as we can.
Speaker 1: Yes, and just to quickly go back to Havier bayas they do have something to compare it against that I worked out in my head it's Roger Federer to me, because it's the point that he was good, had the dip like in his kind of like early like late early thirties or whatever. And I actually told a lot of my friends, I think he should retire before he gets like before he kind of goes bad. And then he came back and won more titles afterwards. But it's not quite to that level, but someone who had that mid level dip. Okay, that is all of our position players. Let's move on to pitching. Then, let's just do to give a short stiff to the many and plethora of pitchers that are out there. We're just going to do one picture and one reliever each. Darius, do you want to start us off with your starting pitcher?
Speaker 3: Yeap.
Speaker 4: I found it difficult to picture just one, but in the end I went with Chris Boobach of the Royals, who has been hurt for a while. He was kind of one of those that quite a big group really of you know Royals pitching prospects that were supposed to sort of come along and save them, and none of it seemed to pan out, and he had some real struggles and the rotation never really looked like he was going to go anywhere. They tried him, been relief for a bit, then he got injured. But now he's come back. He's made ten starts, he's got one forty seven ERA so far, and it looks like he's finally putting things together. So YEP, didn't really see this coming at all. Wasn't expecting him to kind of force himself into this Royal's rotation picture the way he has, but he looks like he's made himself a fixture. And I feel like pitching is always the easiest area for this every year, is that there's always going to be somebody at the top of those leaderboards every single year on the other pitching side that you're just like, oh, yeah, he's not even going to start. Yeah, and then suddenly, you know, twenty five thirty starts later there in the inside Young contention or and they're in the top tenor in IRA or something, and Boobitch is one of those guys this year. So fair play to him. It's been quite a long road and it's good to see him succeeding.
Speaker 3: Royals are good at developing pitching, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, how they do they keep them? If they keep them on the field, that's the.
Speaker 3: But they do. I was torn between a couple of guys. I think Lizardo is an easy answer because I think he's currently leading pictures in War, which is pretty amazing to say, Like, what an amazing job that policea dino. He's always had this stuff but seemed to figure it out as a starter until this year. So you know, the rich get richer from that perspective for the Phillies. But I'm actually going to sell you on a gentleman called Tyler McGill at the New York Mets who his era doesn't necessarily stand out. I think it's mid threes right now. Yet his under line numbers are little bit better than that, but he's striking out twelve per nine. The walks are still pretty high, but he's taking the ball every five days and for a rotation that we looked out at the start of the year and thought that that does not look great. He's maybe been their most impressive picture so far, but play Homes has also been awesome. But I think it was having a guy who they can rely on to go out there, give them innings, give them depth. We didn't think McGill was going to be that guy because we kind of thought we knew what he was at this point. But he seems to have found a new level this year of production that we had necessarily seen from him in the past. And I'm not saying he's going to become an ace, but I think if he can be a guy who throws one hundred and eight two hundred innings puts up four or five wins like that is really really valuable for the Mets with the current state of their rotation. He's already equaled his career high in in wins above replacement, and as I say, with some of the stuff he's showing this year, there's reason to believe it's legit. Yeah, not a guy anyone came into this year thinking was going to be a really important member of that rotation. But I think he's maybe showing that he is going to be, yeah, at the very least one of the most reliable guys and hopefully you can stay healthy and turn it into a career year for himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think he's had that fantastic season. I was myself. I was split between two as well. I was split between Mackenzie Gore and Matthew librator And I think just more because like Gore had a good last season last year that to me, I think Libratoria was kind of just really pushes it as something that I've just been like, oh, like, you've looked good this year and kind of the aside to it where it's like he's really dropped the walk rate, which has been kind of what's cost him a lot. He's never been like a massive K like pitcher and kind of command basically had to sharpen for him to be something like that and potentially somebody who can throw the kitchen sink at you with it, like his variety of pitches or whatever. But the command had never quite been there, and it seems to be there right at the start of the season. And his sub three ra along with us up like three FIP for the start of the season, is one of the reasons why the Cardinals are in a position to maybe challenge for for that division, which is something that I definitely didn't expect, and I didn't expect him to be one of the leading figures in the pushing the similarist team towards that position. Darius sim I just picking a freaking first rounder and saying like, oh, isn't it amazing that, like he's actually now like a great player.
Speaker 2: It's not really hard, is it.
Speaker 4: No? I think I think the shine had definitely come off Librattal what once people saw him in the made just did kind of look like this, maybe this guy's you know, like a four if it all works out, And maybe that still is what he's going to be, but I think, yeah, he was far enough and moved from his prospect pedigree that people had kind of, you know, slept on him.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to relievers to finish us off. Ben, where would you like to start?
Speaker 3: Well? Can I sell you a funky left hander named Gabe Spier? Am I saying that right? For the Seattle Mariners? Who does you know? The funky left handed stuff? He has kind of a low arm slot, he has fastball and a slider. He's got a high velo fastball, and he's a nightmare to face if you're a left handed hitter. But he also this year seems to be a bit of a nightman's face your right handed hitter too. He's been really legit in that Seattle bullpen. There is another guy who maybe is taking the headlines in that bullpen for reasons that hover around zero point zero zero. But I wanted to shout out, you know, the lesser heralded guy who's doing a lot of the work in the seventh and eighth and then to put out fires before before Minnals gets into the game. So yeah, shout out to Gabe. I always love a funky lefty, especially one with long hair who looks a little bit crazy, and I and I feel like, you know, Spier hits that mold spot on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's he's He's definitely given Seattle the edge in some of the games.
Speaker 2: Is obviously min Yez is now.
Speaker 1: What appearance twenty one twenty two appearances without an run so far, he's got two wee earned, but is what's probably calling a lot of people right now. Still got a long way to go to get to the thirties odd that we saw a few times in the in the twenty tens. It's like amazing starts to the season. Darius, who's your cavalcade of webs or albas that you want to tell us about?
Speaker 4: Well, not to be too much about Homer, but I'm going to go with Randon Rodriguez, who is a go and to reliever, and he has been absolute filth. He has a thirty eight point five percent strikeout rate right now in a three point eight percent walk right, That is pretty good. He kind of simplified the arsenal a bit. I think he was throwing four pictures last year, mostly a passibal slider, but just said get rid of those we're going only fastball slider. Now he's cooking sitting ninety seven slider is filth fastball up on the zone, and yeah, it is working for him right now. He doesn't quite have the zero ARA, but he does have a zero point eighty seven the iron through just over twenty innings. And yeah, I'm never that surprised by any relieve it's just randomly being great. But Randy Roderigan's certainly a lot on my list of this guy is going to be they filthy and run over in baseball this season. So I'm excited desone the Giants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always a good one to see. All Right, I'm going to finish us off and I'm going to go back to the Bronx and talk about Mark Lighter Jr. Think he's somebody who has effectively we know he's not going to be effectively moved from his positions of being like a starler pretty early on in his career, been to that ballbend and has kind of just been solid, like nothing, kind of like outstanding a.
Speaker 2: Lot of very high strikeout guy.
Speaker 1: The walk rate has usually been the concern to go with it, but like this season, he's kind of that walk rate has dropped a little. Is he going to stay that way? I don't know, not really giving up the big bombs that he does a few more and more often than not. But as a player who is potentially eligible to play for GV in the World Baseball Classic, he's somebody that I will will follow and seeing him kind of put out performances like this, it's pretty exciting. And definitely he kind of like looks like he's going to do well. I was literally looking to see if he's done. He was pitching kind of like today as we were talking, and I'm like, okay, at least he gave it two hits but complete.
Speaker 2: Another zero runs allowed in the inning.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's had that pretty amazing start at the season, which has kind of helped the Yankees given how bad kind of Devin Williams has been.
Speaker 3: Doing, I'm gonna say finding a relief pitcher has been good this season. It's not easy if like every high highly regarded closer has had at least one extremely public meltdown at some point this year, So definitely a year for the un heraldic guys to step up.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: It was I think when I was looking at it was lighter or the greater Ben Casparius was was the man I was going to potentially shout out for doing multiple innings of relief for Dodgers in some important games so far this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like Asparius, big fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think just to put a final twist on this, as we always like to end everything on a bad who's been your most disappointing player of the season so far? I don't have not given you a chance to research this one, So maybe I'll go first, And I think I have to say, like Christian Yelich is probably one for me, where like I think there are moments last season where we were like, oh yeah, like Yelich is back, and this season I think he's got a six hundred OPS, which is.
Speaker 2: Not very good.
Speaker 1: And optimal suboptimal and someone who's pretty much got full game time as well.
Speaker 2: That's that has hurt the Brewers.
Speaker 3: This is half. I feel like I have to choose someone on the Orioles just because they've been so disappointing as a team. But it feels harsh to put it on any of their young players in particular. I mean like Rochman. I guess like considering how great he was as a rookie, and it was like, Oh, this guy's a second coming of Buster Posey. He's going to be a legitim middle of the order bat who also is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, which you know is extremely rare, and he kind of just hasn't been able to get back there since. I don't know exactly where his season nine is sitting right now. I don't think he's been a bad player by any means, but I guess he's someone that comes to mind when you think of like where the Orioles were this time last year, or even at the end of the season, you think about, like, they're so set for the next five years because they have some of these guys Gonna who you know, has also been a little bit disappointing so far this year, but also Rochman, who yeah, just hasn't really been able to kick on as as a hit. It would seem so, yeah, I look a bit harsh because he's not exactly horrible back there, but I think considering we thought he was going to be well, he looked like he was going to be like future MVP candidate, it just hasn't really come together. For him, but hey, there's plenty of time left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is I mean, this is a long list, isn't it, Like so many players I think. I think Marcus Simeon, he obviously didn't have his greatest season last year, and I wasn't expecting him to go back to peak semion necessarily in his mid thirties, but starting to get a bit like the Rangers in trouble here. You know, they've got a lot of years left in this deal and things are going very rapidly in the wrong direction. He has a forty nine WRC plus right now, so extremely ikes on that. I think the other one from a sort of more young player upside that I've surprised he has been so ineffective is Junior Kameni. He has it runs, but he's basically a replacement NOMAL player right now, and I think the talent is still in there for him to be an elite level back that. You know, he's a guy that you consider a top ten to fifteen player in baseball at some point, certainly on the offensive side. So to see him struggle to the extent that he has has been pretty disappointing and surprising to me. So hopefully he can turn it around for the race. But yeah, I could. I could probably go on all day with the guys who suck.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think my my analytical list was is jor Dan is the worst, Andrew Vaughn, Bryan Reynolds, Anthony Sander, Christian Yelich was basically like mon five.
Speaker 4: Andrew Bawn, Oh my god, that's Andrew Bowne is what's meant to Talkerson could have been right negative one point three war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a forty four w RT plus over one hundred and ninety three plate appearances like the.
Speaker 4: White Sox are like, we don't care you are going out there. He's gonna find which, to be fair, why not, He's got to find it any day now, any day. I mean, Leti's Robot not much better either.
Speaker 1: No, you're thinking that they don't even have trade trade prospects to go out there. Yeah, I think to just go to your point, Ben like Rutchman is like on my list of like players, you've actually still like been okay, but we're expecting to be better. It is literally like Adlie ruschbund Gunna Henderson wan So though so and then Corey Seeger with same in the bottom but seems not even been good.
Speaker 4: So that has been hurt again.
Speaker 3: All right, good glimpse this podcast could have been.
Speaker 2: Ah well, when I.
Speaker 1: Was coming over the surprise nine, I kind of I was like, do I want to do a depressing nine as well?
Speaker 4: I'm disappointed to the show. Isn't pitching it rubbish? Get him out there?
Speaker 3: I agree?
Speaker 1: How dare he claimed to be a two way player and we've not seen it in so many years? Like the fact that MLB changed the rules just to stick with the fact that he's been injured and still can be class as a two way player.
Speaker 2: It's an a freaking outrage.
Speaker 1: All right, boys, thank you so much for joining me once again for this podcast. As always, our listeners and watchers can you can see us on YouTube now with this with all of our podcasts that are up there live you want to see our reactions as they go along. Players always go to the website backplips and nerds dot com for plenty of articles going up about the season from our intrepid writers. There are some great ones out there, seeing ash publishing more things about the San Francisco Giants and given the fact that they're back to being rivals with the Dodgers again by playing good baseball. It's a it's always good to season. Words from from Ash so Yeah. As always, you can find us on Bathforts, Uners, does and Twitter and backflops ands dot com. Thank you very much, gentlemen, See you next time.