Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 2: Let's I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 1: So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 4: Your attention, your fire a piss.
Speaker 5: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion being put a small soft time they get up people what they want to die in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of them. Con this ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 6: Hell time?
Speaker 3: Go to the show.
Speaker 4: Grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show.
Speaker 7: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 5: We are live at Coursfield after the Dodgers hold on to beat the Rockies tonight by a final score of nine to seven. Welcome the Dodger Talk with David Vasse. We're taking your phone calls until ten o'clock tonight at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy we will hear from Mookie Betts in a moment, also manager Dave Roberts and tonight's winning pitcher Justin Robleski, who was one of six Dodger pitchers tonight. Robleski went five innings after Jack Dryer opened. Robleski now three and two and has looked a lot better since the Dodgers recalled him from TRIPLEA, you know, and in this role of being the bulk innings pitchers, so he's attacking hitters. He's been unpredictable and he's executing, and that's the reason why he's pitching so well. Tanner Sky came in for a four out save, his sixteenth of the season, and Herman Marquez loses his ninth game of the year. Marquez now three and nine. How about Michael Confordo. I know many of you have been frustrated by the way he has played to begin his Dodgers season. He's only under a one year contract, and nobody's more frustrated than Michael Conforto. And Michael, you know, stepped up to the plate in more ways than one. Today. He joined us on the pregame show, he answered the questions and before the game I found out that he did get fitted for a new bat, a lighter bat, and that's important because he has had trouble catching up to the fastball this year. So just like all of us, no matter what level of baseball you played in, if you're having a hard time catching up to the fastball, what are you gonna do. You're gonna find a lighter bat to maybe increase your bat speed. And the Dodgers had the technology to be able to fit hitters with a bat that is, you know, personalized to them with their bat speed right now in the here and now. And I saw Cody Bellinger get fitted for a bat in his final year with the Dodgers. So this is like a golfer getting fitted for a club. You go into Callaway, you go into any of these golf shops and they custom make the golf club for you, your swing and how hard you swing it. Same thing with a baseball player these days if they want to take advantage of it. So yes, you can give credit to Michael confordo getting fitted for a new bat and they just arrived today and he was using it and it worked out a three run home run in a six run fourth inning. He also turned on the ball that was fair inside the first baseline, So in his first two at bats he had a double and he had a three run home run. But me, being the talk show host narcissist, I guess I'm going with the dead fish handshake. Remember a couple of years ago, JD. Martinez was the Dodgers DH for a season. He was in a slump. We did an interview in Atlanta. We had a good time and also gave him the dead fish handshake because he didn't want to hurt my surgically repaired right wrist after going down the Milwaukee slide. And after we did that interview, after we did the dead fish handshake at the end, he went on a tear and never looked back. So I thought maybe I tried the same thing with Michael Conforto. Here's how it went before the game today, I got good news for you. A couple of years ago, JD. Martinez one year deal with the Dodgers, got off to a slow start, did this exact same pregame interview, and went on a heater and drove in one hundred runs that season. So I feel like maybe we need to recreate the JD. Martinez magic. You gotta give me a dead fish handshake because because of the broken wrist.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, absolutely, man, I'm up for absolutely everything.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we got the dead fish handshake going on right now?
Speaker 5: All right, there we go, Michael Conforto, the magic has happened. Thanks a lot for the time, and you're an easy guy to root for and we look forward to seeing you. Crossing Home played a few times tonight, areci, Thank you very much? Hey, he crossed home played a couple of times tonight, including on his own home run, a three run home run in the Dodgers four run sixth inning to help them beat the Rockies tonight nine to seven. If you want to see a photo that player relations guru Jandrado took a mean Conforto with the dead fish handshake. You can see it on my ig story at officially vass a so custom fitted bat and a dead fish handshake equals a big night for Michael Conforto. Let's go out to Miguel in San Diego. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Miguel.
Speaker 3: Hey, David LA's favorite son, first time, long time. So appreciate everything you do, and I love the fact that you are not afraid to call players out when you feel like they need it. Also, So Jose Mota is amazing. He just has amazing insights. I mean, it's just incredible the knowledge he has, so thanks again for having him on too. I noticed something tonight that was unusual and a very smart baseball play by Andy Pajas When he hit that ground ball to the infield the first base he ran inside the line to the left and made a really difficult play for the first baseman to make it home plate. And it was just such a smart baseball play that it's great to see that he's really maturing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was in the fourth inning and Michael will Smith was able to score on that play, And you're right, it's the subtleties of the game and that's very observant of you to pick up on that. And also, how about and Andy pa has in the outfield, Miguel, he's not trying to throw out every runner trying to take the lead base. He's making the right throw to the cutoff man to keep the double play in order. He's not just throwing wildly at home plate. So he's really coming into his own and that has a lot to do with the work that he puts in with Dino Ebel. And you know it's not just taking fly balls, but they do throw the basis once every series. So all of that, the thinking of the game in practice, being prepared makes it translating games.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure mister Jose Mota would agree that hitting the cutoff man is critical.
Speaker 5: I think we all would agree with that. Miguel, thank you for the phone call. And yes, Jose has been around the game his whole life. He had a pretty good dad in Many Mota, who's doing much better. And it was great to see many on the line. Fast homestand eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies nine to seven. Let's go out to Georgia. Ray, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Hi, Ray, Hey David, how are you liking Colorado? Isn't that a beautiful place at Lodo area and everything in downtown Denver.
Speaker 5: I just love the sky looking at the sky around dusk. It's one of the beautiest night skies you'll ever see, right before sunset.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: That's great ballpark. Hey, Dave, isn't it something trying to get words out of tuner Scott when you're interviewing he's still in that after the man And did he have a date after the game or something like that.
Speaker 5: Maybe No, you know, you have to respect the fact that he just closed out a four out save and it's just a minute or two after the game. He's still in that headspace of being very intense, So I respect.
Speaker 2: That that makes sense. And the last thing is do you guys on the road trips and everything, do you guys ever get together with the players or they just go to the hotel and just sit there and wait for the next day because there's so many things to do in the cities that they travel to.
Speaker 5: You know, Okay, I've been asked this a lot by family members and friends. Younger players nowadays, Ray just do uber eats or door dash and eat in their hotel room and play video games or hang out with each other in their own hotel rooms. They don't really go out, but some of the veterans try to get these guys to go out for dinner. But that's the extent of it.
Speaker 2: Usually Wow, And the guy who takes the calls what's his name? He's really nice on the show. What's his first name?
Speaker 5: Oh, our screener, our guy, our producer that's calling yee?
Speaker 1: Paul?
Speaker 2: Is your name is Paul?
Speaker 5: Calling ye? Calling ye?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 5: Ray Ray really want to pull back the curtain all the way back. He wants to know who goes out, who eats where, and who screens the call. Of course, that's Colin Yee, the one man show back at our Burbank studios, and Dwayne McDonald doing everything out here on site during the games, before the games and after the game. So without those two guys, this broadcast is going absolutely nowhere. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight nine to seven. Mookie Betts had a couple of hits tonight. He started the game ending double play as well at shortstop. Let's head downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from MOOKI on sports and at LA.
Speaker 8: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I've had had good games and I've had bad one. So we'll enjoy today and we'll we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Was that second bad when he's got the wall in the barrel?
Speaker 4: There was a good sign for where you're swinging kind of plus today, at least.
Speaker 5: For it today.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Well we'll uh, we'll see. We just had a good game today and I had to put it together for for a while. But I'm just gonna enjoy today. Hasn't been kind of dismanaging the frustration, which is offensively this year, kind of the ups and downs and not having been able to put it together yet.
Speaker 5: It's been really tough.
Speaker 4: But I mean kind of is what it is? You know, never play short every day and so but I don't I don't think that's really playing a part, and you know, being sick and just kind of playing catch up. There's a lot of variables that go into it. But you know, you've got to figure it out.
Speaker 1: What do you think is like st I know it's hard to really good point one reason, but like what what do you think is that's maybe like common threat you've been able to find first time. I promise you I.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't keep doing it. I've been I've been doing it for so long. I'm trying to figure it out. Man, I'm genuinely trying to figure it out each and every day. But like I said, we had a good day to day and we'll we'll see about tomorrow.
Speaker 1: How can you build on days like today?
Speaker 4: Is there anything We've had a couple of good games and then a week worth of bad, bad games, and so I'm trying to figure it out. I'm doing my best trying to figure it out to just make sure I continue to play defense and do what I can to help the boys win.
Speaker 5: All Right, there's Mookie Bets on sports Net LA, and look what it is is he's trying to find the right spot for his hands. And that's always been the key to Mookie's success. He just hasn't been able to consistently find that feel also confidence. I know it's hard to believe, but confidence is a challenge for Mookie Bets, who's a humble guy off the field, and baseball will humble you even more. Mookie always needs to be reminded how good he is. He needs to be reminded that he's Mooky freaking Bets, and he needs to see results. So hopefully tonight's results will help him build mechanically and with the confidence. Eight sixty six having two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Paul and Rancho Cucamonga. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 1: Paul, Hey, they've been been a long time since I called, and you know, I know, you might say like, who cares.
Speaker 3: We won the game.
Speaker 1: But I'm just a guy who loves the weird rules and the quirkiness, you know about the game. That's what I fell in love with, you know, kind of like that that play that happened earlier in the year with you know, the outfielder hitting, you know, touching the ball and the tag up play and the other outfielder caught it, and you know, you can't juggle the ball all the way in. That's why you can take off immediately. I mean, I've been in love with the game since eighty eight and Hersheizer, and as far as I can remember, whenever there was you know, bullpens down the line or anybody down the line. I mean, they didn't even mention this on the broadcast Tennis, Scott comes in bottom of the eighth, two outs, runners down, first and second, ball hit down the line. We got the rockies, you know, employee. You know this guy sitting on the bucket or whatever trying to do with kick flip or I don't know what he's trying to do with the steel bucket he's sitting on, like boots the ball the opposite the way. How was that dead ball? Like that and experience. It's always been that play. The guy should have sayed that third, well, why are we making the game more difficult on our players here in the situation?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought that was a ground rule double as well. That's what they ruled. But I'm not sure why that runner scored. I really don't, and that's something that I'll have to ask tomorrow. But I figured a ground rule double. The guy goes back to third base as well, Paul. But you know one thing, when when you see the managers exchange the lineup cards the first game of the series, they're not just exchanging the lineup cards and exchanging pleasant street pleasantries. The home played umpire and the umpiring crew goes over the ground rules of the stadium. So we'll have to ask Dave Roberts, and we'll hear from Dave coming up in our next segment. Maybe somebody asked him that. But yeah, that's a great point to bring up. It should have just been going back to third base if it's a ground rule double.
Speaker 1: So I guess the Rockies in the exchange of the lineup card, they say, well, the rules of our field is if we boot it down the line, it's not a double. We could just keep running the bases. That that's how it works in Cuers Field.
Speaker 5: I wasn't I wasn't involved in uh in that conversation. And I do have my handy rule book in my bag. I will get it for you and UH figure it out. But every stadium has its own rules in those situations. But yeah, a ground rule double, the guy should have gone back to third base. Thanks for the phone call, Paul, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back. More of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We'll hear from Dave Roberts and we'll also hear from Justin Robleski. After the Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight nine to seven on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 7: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: This is Dodger Tom with David Bassei.
Speaker 9: Fordo had a leadoff double in the third and was stranded at second stretch by Marquez, rocky right hander throws there goes pie has this? Paul drilled deep right field, way back and gone off the facing of the upper deck. A three run home run for Michael Conforto and the Dodgers lead the game for the first time.
Speaker 5: Tonight it is five to two.
Speaker 9: Oh what a rocket off the back of Conforto his fifth home run of the season.
Speaker 5: Michael Confordo with a three run home run. He also had a double tonight as he helps the Dodgers defeat the Rockies nine to seven. David Vasse live at Corsefield. After the Dodgers win the first game of this series and they're forty ninth of the season. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy lasports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. We'll get to more of your phone calls in a moment. We'll hear from Dave Roberts as well. But our last caller, Paul wanted to know why that ball was not ruled dead in the bottom of the eighth inning when it hit the ball boy slash security guard in foul territory. Well, thank you again, Rick Monday for teaching me early on doing this that it's always important to have a rule book on hand. And here's my rule book. And that's the reason why I have the answer for Paul tonight and not until tomorrow. Rule six point zero one d distinctly specify in case of unintentional interference with play by any person hairn authorized to be on the playing field, except members of the team at bad who are participating in the game, or a bas coach, any of whom interfere with a fielder attempting to field a batted or thrown ball, or an umpire, the ball is alive and in play. So even though it hit that guy in foul territory, the ball was alive and in play because he was not a member of the Dodgers. If the interference is intentional, which it wasn't, the ball shall be dead at the moment of the interference, and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the acts of interference so that was unintentional interference and that's the reason why the ball was not dead. It was alive. So there you go. And it's always important, especially when you're broadcasting a national game, to have a rule book, know the rules. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs right now to the manager's office to hear from Dave Roberts.
Speaker 6: I think he's in a you know, much better spot. I like the swings, I like that back quality. Seems like he's getting to velocity better. And so I know for him just to be able to contribute offensively, it's got to feel good. And I think we're we're trending in the right direction.
Speaker 4: What orter have a swing in that kind of anaming, especially when they kind of blew the ball around a little bit, to like just capitalize and you really could put up a crooked number there.
Speaker 6: It was big. It was big. You don't just want to, you know, build innings however way you can, and for it to draw dead, you know, in that particular spot in the order, and for him to hit a big homer, get us a you know, put up that crooked number, get us a lead. Feel good. About that capitalize on some mistakes on their part was big and that's kind of you know, the thought behind having him there, having Tommy and the nine to bleed into show hey, the top, but to get production out of out of Michael. It was big tonight.
Speaker 4: How important is this next month is going to be for him as you guys just get closer to the deadline, start trying to figure.
Speaker 5: Out what the roster is going to look like at the second half of the year.
Speaker 6: Where he could you factor it's critical. I think that I've shown that, you know, my faith in him and given him opportunities, and I do, like I said, I think he's trending in the right direction. But you know, we're going to continue to look and figure out ways we can get better as a ball club as we do get close to the deadline. But I hope that's not in his kind of mindset. Just continue to get better each night. But it's important for him to continue to play well.
Speaker 5: All right, there's manager Dave Roberts talking about Michael Conforto, and look, the reality is he needed to make an adjustment. He adjusted with his bat. He got fitted for a custom for the here and now. The bat speed has been slow on fastball, so he was fitted for a lighter bat and it paid off tonight. Two hits, including a three run home run eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies nine to seven tonight and hand the Rockies another loss in a very long season already for Colorado, they're eighteen and sixty one. The Rockies are on pace to finish thirty seven and one hundred and twenty five. That's right, one hundred and twenty five losses. That would be the record for the most losses in modern Major League Baseball, set by the White Sox last year one hundred and twenty one losses for the twenty twenty four White Sox. The Rockies are on pace to top that loss record of one hundred and twenty five losses. And if you remember, it wasn't that long ago that the Dodgers in Runies played a game one hundred and sixty three to see whould be the NL West champion back in twenty eighteen. Since that game won sixty three, the Dodgers have won two World Series championships. They have been to three World Series, while the Rockies are on their way to lose their third one hundred. They're on their way for their third one hundred loss season. And since that game won sixty three, the Rockies, including tonight's loss, have five hundred and seventy one losses and only three one hundred and seventy seven wins. They're almost two hundred games under five hundred since Game one sixty three in twenty eighteen. That's hard to believe. That's even hard to do, but that's what the Rockies have become since Game one sixty three at Dodgers Stadium, where Walker Buehler really had his coming out party as a big game pitcher. Let's go out to Alpine A Joy. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassi.
Speaker 1: Hi Joy, what's ups? Hey? Man?
Speaker 10: First and foremost, I just want to give you some props on your what you do with Kershaw on Sunday. You gave some good information from OG. I know Fred didn't give you your flowers today but Rodney stepped in. But props on that I was a was a really good interview man.
Speaker 5: Thank you. You could find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 11: I wanted to give you that that segue. So what I want to talk about is actually tomorrow started with Yama there. You know, I feel since his start in Saint Louis, which I thought was a great start, he's kind of been pressing a little bit. Obviously, the run support right a little all at Kershaw early twenty tens. But I'm just wondering if if you're seeing something similar, if I'm kind of a little crazy on that. And then another props for you the wizardy with COMFORTO appreciate that.
Speaker 1: But that's my question for you.
Speaker 5: Dave, Yeah, no problem. Thank you for the of a joy. I really appreciate it. And I could tell you're a loyal listener not only to Dodger Talk, but am five to seventy LA Sports, and we really appreciated. I feel like it's been a little bit of a lack of feel for his split fingered fastball recently. I feel like the Padres in San Diego may have had something as far as a tip on him. Talking about the game against the Padres at home, maybe they felt like he was tipping. But he got in. He got through that for six and the third innings the Giants got him for five runs. He walked five. Maybe the Giants. I think that's the game I'm referring to that I believed in Jerry Harriston Junior and Nomar alluded to the fact that maybe he was tipping pitches in that game against the Giants. He pitched much better against the Padres in his last start. So the season is full of adjustments, and sometimes you fall into bad habits and you got to correct them during the five or six days that you have in between starts. And I have full confidence Yamamoto will be able to carve up this Rockies lineup, which is one of the worst in Major League Baseball. But also give the Rockies some credit. They're playing hard and they're treating these games like it's the World Series. They obviously are not going anywhere this year, and I'm sure this is a spike and adrenaline focus all of that to try to beat the Dodgers in their own house, and tonight they came up a couple of runs short. Let's go out to Santa Clara. Chris, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Chris, Hey, thanks David. You know I grew up in LA but been in the Bay Area for many years. Definitely raise my boys well. They always make sure they're flying their LA caps no matter where they go. But my question tonight is that the Oklahoma City is going.
Speaker 1: To be there, thank you very much.
Speaker 7: They're going to be playing in Sacramento this week, and so we're going to go up there and be able to enjoy torturing the Giants Triple A team. I'm curious if you've got a couple Oklahoma City players that you think my boys may want to keep an eye on, just to see some maybe some folks who recently got promoted from Double A, or maybe we don't hear quite as much about on the Dodge broadcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Number one, my guy Alex Friedland, who's the starting shortstop for the Oklahoma City Dodgers. He'll be getting his major league debut next year for sure, if not maybe a September call up this season. But he's a guy that could play shortstop, he could play third base. He's a gamer, and he's a great guy. He actually has overcome a lot of adversity. He has a clubbed right foot since he was born and he uses a brace to compensate for that. And here he is at Triple a A guy that's on the verge of the major leagues, playing with a clubbed foot and playing at a high level. That would be the guy I would focus on when you see them in Sacramento.
Speaker 7: Sounds great, Hey, I sure do appreciate it, and it'll be sun up there to watch the last Now.
Speaker 5: Might even have a rehab start this weekend with the OKCE Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we may get lucky that we'd be great. Well good.
Speaker 7: Hey, always appreciate your very high quality broadcasts, and so much easier now to be able to check in with you since it's all on iHeart, So thanks much.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks a lot, Chris, appreciate it. That's right. You can stream the show live on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can make Dodger Talk a number one pre set and hear all the interviews like the one with Kershawn on Sunday or Michael confordo before today's game, and hear the magic of the dead fish handshake that he used tonight to hit a three run home run to help the Dodgers beat the Rockies nine to seven. Speaking of walkoffs, how about our guy Gavin Lux who is getting a real opportunity in Cincinnati after being a world champion with the Dodgers last year and being a big part of it as they're starting second basemen. And the Dodgers traded Lux this offseason to the Reds, and Gavin Lux came up big against the Yankees in the eleventh inning, with the infield in.
Speaker 9: Swinging, there's a line drive in the center floating and down for a hit. Ellie dashes home and the Reds walk it off.
Speaker 8: Amazing comeback victory for the Reds here in this ball game after they trailed three to nothing in the fourth and they mob Gavin Lux in between first and second dase And that is what is so fun about this game of baseball.
Speaker 5: That is Reds Radio. Gavin Lux coming off the bench as a pinch hitter in the eleventh inning to hit a walk off bash to score Ellie da La Cruz to give the Reds the five to four win in the eleventh inning. Gavin Lux this year with the Reds is not only playing second base, He's gotten a lot of time in left field. He's hitting two sixty six. His OPS is seven forty one with four home runs. So we're rooting for Gavin Lux. The favorite son from Kenosha, Wisconsin. I also have an update on my guy, Blake Snell. Snell Zilla through a bullpen session today. He'll throw another one on Friday, and when the Dodgers return home, he is expected to face hitters. So he's on his way back and likely gonna make his return to the Dodger rotation after the All Star break. And I'm hoping for the first home stand after the All Star break for Blake Snell to return to the rotation. So that's great news. And Tyler Glass now coming off his first rehab start in Oklahoma City this past Sunday where he pitched two scoreless and through forty eight pitches. Likely to make another start with them in Sacramento. And Alexis Diaz keeping my eye on him because he has made two appearances with Oklahoma City. Remember just an All Star closer two years ago for the Reds. The Dodgers had him at Camel Back Ranch. They were working on getting his mechanics straightened out, and we'll see how this progresses over the course of the next couple of appearances. For Alexis Diaz, if he could show that he's back, he would be a huge boost to this already very good Dodger bullpen. That'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk. Coming up tomorrow, Yamamoto will be on the mound for the Dodgers. He's six and six this season with an ERA of two seventy six. Yamamoto and Dustin May are the only two Dodger starters to make every start this season. Yamamoto's going up against Chase Dolander, who is two and seven with an ERA of six nineteen Marongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at four point thirty tomorrow with first pitch at five forty. Thanks to Coline back at our burd Banks Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Corusfield, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it. The iHeartRadio app once again the final score tonight from Corsefield. The Dodgers hold on for a nine to seven win over the Rockies. Coming up next, Ben Mallor on Fox Sports Radio. Have a great rest of your night, Be safe, see ya. It's true. Send away