Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers get the win five to four over the Tigers in the home opener on snell Zilla Day. That's right, Blake Snell making his Dodger debut tonight at Dodgers Stadium in the home opener as your world champion Dodgers returned to North America to kick off the meat of their schedule. After a tremendous time out there in Tokyo, the Dodgers were back here at Dodgers Stadium and now are still undefeated, three to zero to begin the year, sweeping the Cubs in the Tokyo Series, and coming back here tonight at Dodgers Stadium, first time playing a regular season game or a meaningful game since the World Series last year when they beat the Yankees in five games. So really start to finish a great night here at Dodgers Stadium. If you were at the game tonight, I would love to hear your experience. I know the Dodgers put out a lot of great new food around the concourses. I saw you know, that Korean chicken with the rice bowl that seemed to be a hot ticket. There was some sliders going on. I know they got some good barbecue down the left field line. Chef Christine did a great job. I saw hungry in La, so yeah, food was on my mind right there with baseball. But tonight was a night of offense for the Dodgers, and I'm not sure the Dodger offense gets enough credit for what they did in October last year. The Dodgers were able to win the World Series with two and a half starting pitchers because of their offense. Their offense and many of their wins gave them early leads and gave them big leads. When they lost games, it was because a there's starting pitching or their bullpen really didn't keep them in the game, but their offense didn't score. You look back at even Game five of the World Series last year, when the Dodgers came back from being down five to nothing, it was the offense with key hits, and a lot of people forget the fact that Taoscar Hernandez came up with maybe one of the biggest hits of the World Series outside of Freddie Freeman's walkoff Grand Slam. He came through to put the Dodgers ahead in that fifth inning, So again tonight, ta Oscar Hernandez comes up with two outs and runners in scoring position and hits the biggest home run of the game tonight, a three run home run off of Terrek school Bol in the fifth inning, which allowed Blake Snell to get his first win as a Dodger, and Snell Zilla's on the field out there at Dodgers Stadium with his dad, some family and friends who came to town to support their guy. It was nice to see the support he got, and I'm curious it was your first chance to see Blake Snell pitching a Dodger uniform. Obviously, not his best night, there is a lot of room for growth. He was not sharp with his curveball, his slider wasn't sharp. His change up early on, he didn't use it until the second time through, and even then he.
Speaker 3: Didn't use it a lot.
Speaker 2: I would love to see him use his change up more than what he did tonight. But he wasn't sharp, and he hung in there and only gave up two urned runs even though he walked four guys. But it was the offense. And I hate to break this to you. I know you all love Mookie Betts and Otani and Freddie Freeman, but I have to say my two favorite Dodgers to watch play the game is Taoscar Hernandez and Tommy Edmund. Tommy Edmund gave the Dodgers and early one nothing lead as they were able to get to Trek's scooble. So it was a good night for Tommy Edmond again, who does so many things that really don't show up in the box score, but tonight it showed up when he gave the Dodgers an early one nothing lead. And don't discount that that was huge. That was huge against Trek scuoble to get an early one nothing lead. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. After the game, we had a chance to catch up with the great ta Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously we'll be facing the Saijo. Yeah he was, Uh, he makes some good pitches on my previous two abouts.
Speaker 3: I was trying to.
Speaker 4: Get one in the middle that I can do some damage. I put a going on and I give the team the league.
Speaker 3: Hey, there's two long with two outs. How big was it for Mooki to draw the walk?
Speaker 2: And even before that, Pa has to turn the lineup over.
Speaker 4: You know, Moki is gonna does the kind of advass that MOOKI is always gonna have. He knows his rice own. He's not gonna sume balls. He's gonna find ways to get them bays. And we designed to be ready and just do the things that I can do so I can help the team.
Speaker 5: Heyo.
Speaker 2: How much did you and your teammates feed off of the pregame ceremonies tonight?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: It was amazing, you know, La never disappointed me. It was great. It was a lot of Firewalls did the ceremony and everything. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Can I wait to see you get your ring tomorrow? There you go, I can wait. Love it.
Speaker 2: Ta Oscar Hernandez, who La fell in love with, came up again and provided the big swing, a three run home run in the fifth inning with two ads to give the Dodgers the lead again after the Tigers were able to take it in the top half of the fifth inning on a wild pitch by Blake Snell and also a sacrifice fly. So a good night for the Dodgers and really a bad night for the Tigers. They had so many opportunities to really put the Dodgers in a bad spot. But they were zero for fifteen with runners in scoring position tonight. They left eleven men on base. And that's the difference between the Dodgers and a team like the Tigers. The Dodgers even last year, were so good from the seventh inning on and so good with two outs because they have a great players and they put so much pressure on the opposing pitcher that you know, there's nowhere to exhale. There's nowhere to exhale even with two outs. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers get the win five to four over Detroit. Let's go out to Nick, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Nick, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey David, welcome to the twenty twenty five season. Did you have as much fun as we did out there today?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: I got here at eleven o'clock, got here early, and it felt like everybody enjoyed start to finish a great day.
Speaker 7: I twined together with you more. I think the lines in were very quick. Food lines are very quick. I think the energy and the vibe was just at an all time high. And then to go out there and do what we did against school Ball. It really it reminded us that these Dodgers didn't didn't stop when they won the World Series. They seemingly picked up right where they left off.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like they're gonna slow down anytime soon either, Nick. I mean, look at look at the Tigers. Look who they have to face in these three games, Snell, Yamamoto and Sazaki, and then the Braves come to town and have to see glass now and Dustin May.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Dodgers are are loaded right now.
Speaker 2: This could be an early lead in the NL West that no other team could come back from.
Speaker 7: They considering the two and a half pictures like you had mentioned that we had going to the World Series, it's gonna be hard to realize that any driven night you can be seeing a cy young contender on the mound for the Dodgers this season. So here's the Hellen, here's to a wonderful tast season.
Speaker 3: All right, Nick, thank you for the phone call. Glad you had a great day.
Speaker 2: The home opener is always special and uh really something that I always look forward to. Let's go out to Jennifer, who was at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi Jennifer, did you go Dodger Dog or did you go off menu with some of these new fun things?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 10: Well, hey, I just wanted to say, you're coming to us fly from a parking lot ten.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I see the break lights out there. Still I got you trapped. You have to listen to me.
Speaker 10: Yeah, No, So I just wanted to say, hide all the parking lot ten folks listening.
Speaker 7: No, I went out.
Speaker 10: I tried Fresh Brother's pizza. It was actually really good because it was the Dodger Stadium box that was that took on me. So I had to try that, all right.
Speaker 3: Good to know, Good to know.
Speaker 2: So you're recommending, if you feel like pizza to go for the Fresh Bros.
Speaker 3: At Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 10: Brothers Yes, Fresh Brothers.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 10: But I will say I my fellow sbdb's there's a group of US Baseball girls from the South Bay that listen and at ten games and so we have been counting down to the season and it did not disappoint Dave like I had to hold back to tears. I was so moved when Kirk Gibson came I'm going to get emotional now. I was so moved and I thought, Lord, this is going to be in a fantastic season. And so it was a great start to a season with the win tonight.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers have such a great tradition and what makes it special are the guys that put the uniform on. And you know, obviously Joe Davis's call last year was perfect. Fred Gibbe meet Freddy and Joe is out there and seeing the whole thing. And to have Kirk Gibson come out and throw out the first pitch to Freddie Freeman that that was awesome and I think everybody appreciated that, including Freddie, who's a guy that appreciates the history of the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Hey, So our question is was it a surprise to Freddy or did he know Kirk was there?
Speaker 3: Oh, he knew, he knew. It was not a surprise.
Speaker 10: Get off, Oh all that's gonna be a dream to surprise. And because he looked so generally like happy that we thought maybe it was a surprise. But and I just another note for everyone listening. I've been a huge Lake Snow fan for several years. Even though he wasn't a Dodger, so I was elated that he was opening the season for us this year. So I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: All right, Jennifer, thanks for the phone call. We're on the same page in a lot of different ways. See you at Patrick Malloy's one day.
Speaker 5: Okay, sounds good day, good night, there.
Speaker 2: She goes Jennifer in lat ten eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of opening days, today was a really good opening day, and I'll remember this one for a long time. But since hosting Dodger Talk and traveling with the team, I gotta say the opening day that stands out the most, there's actually two. The one that's the runner up is the second, probably twenty fifteen, twenty six, when Zach Grank made his Diamondbacks debut on opening Day here at Dodgers Stadium and the Dodgers hit eight home runs that day to blow out Arizona. The one that stands out the most and above all else, is the opening day of twenty thirteen that to me is the single greatest opening day performance by any Dodger I have witnessed, meaning I was at the stadium, meaning you were at the Stadium. Clayton Kershaw's performance on opening Day twenty thirteen Dodgers Giants Kershaw versus Bumgardner. It was a scoreless tie until the seventh or eighth inning, and Kerushaw finished the game complete game shutout, with seven strikeouts, no walks. And here's the kicker. Back in the old days when pitchers were hitters. When their spot came up in the ninth inning, Clayton Kershaw broke the tie with a solo home run over the center field fence, and that was the go ahead run and the difference in the game. So when I saw Kershaw this morning, I asked him what he remembers about that day.
Speaker 11: I don't remember much, honestly. It's a long time ago, but uh, I mean, it's just kind of just kind of look up and the game's over and you'd hit a homer, and it just kind of feels like a little league game. So it just was was a lot of fun. As if I remember, do.
Speaker 2: You feel like that was mark this new era of Dodger baseball.
Speaker 11: I don't know, honestly. I mean, I think you know that was the first year of the new ownership, full year, and yeah, we made the playoffs that year, so yeah, I mean they probably started its way for sure.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you've been around baseball for a few generations and here for a few generations. You saw what the clubhouse originally look like, and now what you got.
Speaker 3: Now, what do you think about this new version of it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 11: This is amazing. I mean, I yeah, this is round three for me. So I thought Round two was amazing. So this is just incredible. They thought of everything and I'm lost in here, so's it's just a yeah, it's it's state of the art. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Clayton Kershaw and obviously very humble about one of the greatest performances by any pitcher on Opening Day in Dodger history twenty thirteen. And I know you're gonna say, oh, what about Orlando Hudson's cycle in two thousand and nine. Yes, that was incredible, but Kershaw's was spectacular. I mean, what pitcher does that. Blake Snell could have pitched a complete game shutout tonight, but he wasn't hitting and didn't hit a home run. Kershaw gave himself the lead and pitched a complete game shutout in the slimmest of margins against the defending world champions that year, the San Francisco Giants above all else. To me, that's the single greatest Opening Day I've witnessed. April first, twenty thirteen here at Dodger Stadium. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Tigers tonight five to four. Let's go out to Recina. Christopher, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Christopher, Hey, David, how's it going. Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: My pleasure anything for anybody from Racieda, the home of Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence.
Speaker 5: Thank you, sir, and I'm happy Opening Day. I just want to thank you guys.
Speaker 8: David.
Speaker 7: I think Charlie with Charlie on today.
Speaker 3: He was thanks for listening.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I just want to thank you guys for having the game on.
Speaker 13: I didn't catch much of much of the game, but on my way to all my way.
Speaker 5: Back to work, I was able to catch you guys and uh give the postgame interviews and all that.
Speaker 6: So thank you guys so much.
Speaker 5: For all the work you do.
Speaker 14: And really excited for the season.
Speaker 5: And let's go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: All right, Christopher, thanks a lot for the phone call. I needed that validation from you. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Sergio, who is at Dodger Stadium. Your first opening day, Sergio.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was my first opening day. What an amazing, amazing day. Your boy snell Zilla came through. Oh my goodness, you were advocating for him so many years. We finally got him. We finally got him to open up for us, and we got this w baby three and.
Speaker 3: Not disappointed, hard off. You didn't even see the best version of snell Zilla today.
Speaker 5: You know what, that was a little taste was yet to come. So everybody, Dodgers, please be ready because this is the beginning. Well I don't want to jax it, but this is the beginning of something great that the Dodgers will do.
Speaker 2: All right, Sergio, thanks for the phone call. It's actually the sequel. They did something great last year winning the World Series, and they just have continued to roll. And look, that's a testament to the Dodgers ownership. They weren't satisfied with winning the World Series last year. They pushed the chips even further in signing Blake Snell, signing Tanner Scott, who he saw in the eighth inning tonight, re signing Blake Trining, re signing taoscar Hernandez, giving Tommy Edmund an extension, all of these things other owners wouldn't do. And I think we all have to appreciate that just a mirror what fifteen years ago, the Dodgers' ownership was not doing what this current ownership is doing. It wasn't that long ago, and sometimes you get a little spoiled, and you know, for the narrative out there that the Dodgers are, you know, the evil empire or whatever. I think other teams have themselves to blame for this, because they had the Dodgers right where they wanted them. When Corey Segers signed with the Texas Rangers, the Dodgers really had a big hole.
Speaker 3: In their lineup.
Speaker 2: And the Braves, you know, ridiculous as it may seem now, said no thank you to Freddie Freeman the same offseason.
Speaker 3: Corey Seeger signed with the Rangers. I mean, think about that.
Speaker 2: And you could thank the Boston Red Sox for trading Mooki Betts to the Dodgers during the off season of twenty twenty leading into that season, and you can thank the Saint Louis Cardinals and Chicago White Sox for trading Michael Kopek and Todd.
Speaker 3: Mey Edmund to the Dodgers last year.
Speaker 2: You can also look around the diamond in so many other ways and just say a lot of teams made a lot of mistakes, and Andrew Freeman was very opportunistic, I'll just put it that way, and they kept their players. Look, Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman aren't making above market value. There's an argument to be made their under market value. It's not like the Dodgers are throwing honey away at players just for the sake of doing it. They've constructed a really good team and obviously the big catch show, Hey Otani, we have seen what the Dodgers have been able to do with a global brand like Otani, something that didn't happen in his six years in Anaheim.
Speaker 3: So whose fault is that?
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number that just shows you that the Dodgers are not just one step ahead of the rest of the league. They're three or four or five steps ahead. Of everybody else and have been since twenty thirteen. Let's go out to Sean, who's at Dodger Stadium. How you doing, Sean? You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey DV.
Speaker 12: What a day, What a day to be in La.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a great day. It was a great day. They brought the history of nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: And also, you know, we got to start giving the shine to these current Dodgers because they're making history in front of our eyes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was amazing. Freddie me Gibbey brought a teer to the eye. Seeing Freddy out there with his family healthy, was was priceless. Prob I a got out there with him.
Speaker 3: Where were you sitting?
Speaker 12: Section thirty five? Miss Laurie hooked it up with the seats today.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you, miss Laurie. Did you go for a Dodger dog or did you go off menu?
Speaker 12: Nobody off menu? The new pastrami burger. Two thumbs up and two thumbs up. Delicious.
Speaker 2: All right, so you're saying I should try that before the home stands over.
Speaker 12: Definitely, head downstairs and gets one of those some garlic fries.
Speaker 2: Oof and all right, all right, my skinny fat body, I'm not sure if I can handle that, Sean, but I'll go for.
Speaker 6: It, all right.
Speaker 12: Dvs you at Trader Joe's out in Westlake pretty soon, all right, buddy.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks Sean, appreciated.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I don't believe I've been to that Trader Joe's. Actually, West Hills is my jam and the one across from the Calabasas comments. I like that one too. It's right near my F forty five place of you know, when I do my F forty five thing. Of course, Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is.
Speaker 3: The phone number.
Speaker 2: Dodgers beat the Tigers five to four in the home opener. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll check in with Jose Mota. Also, you'll hear from manager Dave Roberts, who joined us in his office before the game today. So you'll hear from Dave and what his plan is to keep the edge in twenty twenty five on this roster. And can you believe Dave Roberts now in his tenth season managing the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Two World Series championships.
Speaker 2: Under his belt, looking for a third in twenty twenty five. David Vassey live from Dodgers Stadium until eight thirty right here on your home for the world champion Dodgers A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan.
Speaker 5: Win now whipping a little bit strong.
Speaker 3: He should be out toward right field.
Speaker 15: There's a jet stream there for show if he wants it.
Speaker 5: On three to two, he swings it, goes.
Speaker 1: The opposite field, left field, drifting back toward the wall.
Speaker 3: He's gone.
Speaker 5: Show. Hey Otani with a solo home run, his second of the season, of course he did in his home opener.
Speaker 2: Otani's thirtieth career home run at Dodgers Stadium, and hey, that was a big home run because the Dodgers need every one of their five to beat the Tigers tonight five to four. After that two out solo home run by Otani, the Tigers were able to get a run in the eighth inning after former Dodgers Zach McKinstry hit a triple and scored in that top of the eighth innings, So they needed that home run by show Hey Otani. They needed all three home runs that they got tonight edmund O'tani and also of course the big one by Teoscar Hernandez, a three run shot in the fifth inning. Daniel's Jewelers, they are presenting the home run forecast for another season. All you have to do is go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Eight six, six, nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. And the Dodgers did this without keyk Hernandez, who usually would be in the starting lineup against a lefty.
Speaker 3: But Keik had somewhat of a.
Speaker 2: Stomach illness similar to uh Mookie Betts. That's what Dave Roberts said before the game. So we hope Keike can feel good enough to be here tomorrow for that ring ceremony. Since in twenty twenty one, when the Dodgers received their championship rings. He was playing in Boston, so the Dodgers had to move Tommy Edmund to center field. They had Miguel Rojas play second, and Mookie Bett stayed at short. Andy Pot has slided to left field. Another thing I noticed about the game tonight that will be lost in the Dodger win is the fact that the Tigers took every opportunity to go first to third on balls hit to ta Oscar Hernandez and right field. They did that a couple of different times, and I'm wondering if that's going to be a trend, if teams are feeling there's in a weakness out there, and look, you can get away with that from time to time, but that's gonna be tough on a regular basis to overcome that. The Tigers were zero for fifteen with runners in scoring position, and they were very grace aggressive on the bases going first to third with balls hit to right now field. So that's something to keep an eye on as we move forward in the regular season. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Hank. Who is that Dodger Stadium tonight? Hi, Hank, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey Dave, Hey, how's it going? Man?
Speaker 9: Hey, what a great night. And just to kind of just started off. I typically go to Phleeps and you know, get that double dip there and a nice cold beer. But uh, tonight's game was just awesome, man. The vibe was amazing, and you know, I I just got to echo what you're saying about the Tigers and them running the bases, and you know, I just think it's great that you know, they're they're taking advantage of what they can what they can get. But it was. It was a great night, man, and uh, good win for us. And you know Snell did he did well. Man. It's a lot of tough things that's come in, you know, pitching for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: And he wasn't even his best version of himself tonight, and he still hung in there and gave the Dodger offense a chance to win. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Let's go out to Ventura, Daniel. You're on Dodger Talk. Hi, Daniel up, David, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. Where'd you watch the game?
Speaker 16: Nice?
Speaker 12: No, I actually watched it here at my house.
Speaker 3: Very good, very good. It was an exciting game. Did you enjoy it, dude?
Speaker 6: Awesome game.
Speaker 5: What a special day.
Speaker 12: New Seal Zilla looks good and there's many more to come from him.
Speaker 2: Love it, Daniel. If he doesn't pitch well, are you gonna call and complain to me too? Are you gonna blame me for whenever he doesn't pitch well?
Speaker 5: No, not at all, man, All right, call.
Speaker 3: Back anytime then.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna check in with Jose Mota in a moment. But first let's head out to Stuart, who is leaving Dodger Stadium. It looks like the traffic is cleared out, Stuart. You should be on your way.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's just making a little progress here, if assay. First of all, you're one hundred percent correct on the Kershaw Alfit dot call for twenty thirteen. Pretty incredible to shut out the minis like that and drop a bos. Secondly, Otani's home run to Night obviously incredible, But wanted to get your thoughts on both the Uncle Tao and Tommy Tank's bomb and just what they've meant to the team recently and what you think they'll meet to the team going forward.
Speaker 2: Look, there was a reason why I was so vocal during the offseason and basically everybody else in LA about getting Tayo back here. He meant a lot to protect those first three guys, and we saw it again. I mean, this guy has thrived hitting in Dodger Stadium and in this lineup, he's the perfect example of a player that is better with his team than they are apart. If ta Oscar Hernandez would have gone to the Reds in that ballpark, sure he probably would have hit close to thirty home runs, but where's it going for him? He loved being part of the team, he loved winning, and it's Taoscar Hernandez and the Dodgers are better together than they are apart. Because if they don't have Taoscar Hernandez and they're moving Mookie Bets to the infield, who's playing the outfield Stewart?
Speaker 14: I mean, maybe Mookie, but they got him at short so I know, I.
Speaker 3: Know, we'll see, we'll see how long this lasts.
Speaker 2: But MOOKI is very intent on making it work and he's put in a lot of time, so.
Speaker 3: Uh so far so good.
Speaker 2: I guess uh, he didn't really get too much action tonight, but he's determined to make it work. Thanks for the phone call, Stewart, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Tigers five to four. You'll hear from manager Dave Roberts in just a moment, but first.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hoseng Moda.
Speaker 2: The best dress broadcast booth at Dodgers Stadium tonight, hands down, was the Rodgers Spanish radio booth with Pepe Ninguez, Luis Cochito Cruz.
Speaker 3: And our guy Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: I mean, you guys must have sent out a group text and said we are going to shame everybody else with what we're going to wear in the home opener.
Speaker 6: Jose shame, no way, no never date, come on now for shame. But thank you, thank you for the compliment. Well, you know what, it's tradition. Nobody has to send anybody a reminder about anything. The only person needed to know about it was Gootito because he's never had an opening days for the broadcaster before.
Speaker 2: Man Thatchito suit today was like from twenty fourteen when he was playing it with the show Dodgers.
Speaker 3: As Jerry Harriston Junior would like to say, I'd like.
Speaker 6: To keep track of that, but it was fun to see your boy Snowszilla go out there and go to work. Here's what really catches my attention today on Blake Snell, and pay attention to this when it comes down to a number one starter. Okay, this guy's a number one starter. He allowed himself to get the today, I'm gonna gonna I'm not gonna talk about stuff. Okay, his stuff is good enough to beat people, to neutralize the Tigers winning score on position. But also it's like he's playing catch, which it's like he has this great rhythm with Will Smith. He can bounce and break the ball long got away obviously because he depends on spiking it and having their catches do a good job. But Dave, who was never rattled, He was never rattled. He was never looking in that bullpen. He just focused on the task in mixing pitches and then with a breaking ball, he's able to get the fastball in good spots. But man, I admire guys that perhaps are not at their best finding a way to get through five and allowing Elec to Oskar hurt and just to go out there and get the big home run. All about show hey to get the w because yes, wins do matters to these guys on the man, believe.
Speaker 3: Me, no doubt.
Speaker 2: And this was not his best version of himself. For Walks and the Tigers really helped the Dodgers out today, right Jose Oh for fifteen with runners in scoring position, that was the difference in the game.
Speaker 6: That's when he pitched two scouter reports and you gets into tendencies and into a young team that did so well last season, and you expand his own and you make pitches. That's all the matter. I mean, if you look at the line for Snell and you go watch you know, four watch five innings, a couple of runs, but overall is when he needed to make a pitch, he did. And then obviously he got confidence when he got the bigger outs. And that's what happens too, you get the bigger house. And also I was like, I don't care my stuff is tonight. I know that when it comes down to making him out, I can get it out somehow. And he showed the world why he is so good.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers defeat the Tigers five to four in the home opener. What do you make of the night for Teoscar Hernandez obviously the biggest hit of the game, which erases everything for everybody, But what do you make of the Tigers being as aggressive as they were going first to third on him multiple times tonight?
Speaker 6: I was listening to you say this, and here's what needs to happen. Obviously, as part of their scouting, they know where Toroscar stands in terms of being an outfield that you can run on, and for Tiasco, the way you stop this is by being aggressive charging baseball's on singles, because that is the first signal to a coach and say, oh wait a minute, he's charging and has nothing to do with a strong your arm is and I saw for eight nine years with my trout, I try has never had the strongest arm. There was a time in which guys are going to ride in his face. First the third and center field and the minute Dino Evil and Ron Rennicky, by the way, are the ones to say if you need to start charging hard just to fill that coach and that runner A he's charging hard and that stops the run. So it's one of those things where he plays more Olfield and Ryfield. I should say he's gonna get used to because you know the war gets around that. If he's playing deep, you can go on him. But I think it's going to come down to a hardy charges to make sure that that stops, because you know he does have a pretty accurate arm.
Speaker 3: It's joining us on Dodger talk.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers improved their record at three and oh after sweeping that Tokyo series and come back home and get things started. When you look at what the Dodgers were able to do this offseason, Jose, I know we talk about Taoscar and Edmund and all those guys, but what do you make of this bullpen in the way Dave Roberts is deploying them so far in the first three games of the of the season.
Speaker 6: You know, in a way it was it was good to see Blake trying to get the last out. He has earned every single opportunity to be the guy out there, and I know it was all based on matchups was coming up in that a sending against Towner Scott and the left he's kind of got you know, that made some good contact against him. But you have so many options and it's just a luxury to have. You have guys have closed. You have guys that don't have the ego to go. I must pitching this any or that any you're inning to close the inning that you're pitching, and that's the bottom line. But Dave, there's no doubt that one thing that you have to keep in mind is and I'm gonna pick each other up and I was location is gonna miss and guy's going to be, you know, struck it again and ambishing you want it. These guys have enough in arsenhol to mix up and adjust on the fly when teams make adjustments and uh power arms. If you need contact, they got contact. But more than that, they have a lot of swinging miss a lot of keys and at the end of the games, that's what you want, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jose, thanks a lot for checking in. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow as the Dodgers will be receiving their World Championship rings.
Speaker 3: That's always special.
Speaker 6: I'd be very exciting. Good job with the offense and I got like school wel that was remarkable to very nice job.
Speaker 2: Very nice job, very nice job beating Trek Scooble again.
Speaker 3: Thanks Jose, We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yes, what else, No, Chaz Jose Motive part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, and like I said, the best dressed booth out here at Dodger Stadium, the Spanish radio booth. A lot of class and all of them very very suave. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: We have a full boarder call.
Speaker 2: So let's try to get to some of you who've been very patient, all of you very excited for Dodger baseball. Let's go out to Tim, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight.
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 3: Tim, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 13: Hi David, thanks for taking my call. Really appreciate this from Altadena, California. Just leaving leading Dodger Stadium right now. Altadena, California needed this. We're Dodger fans. My brother just brought me Opening day tickets for my fiftieth birthday. I'm celebrating with my dad, my grandpa, my brother, best Opening day ever. David, thank you so much for what we do.
Speaker 5: We're huge fans.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Hey, God bless you guys out there. Just take it one day at a time. That's all you could do.
Speaker 13: You're doing awesome, man, keep it up.
Speaker 6: Talk you later.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thanks Tim, appreciate it. Glad you made it out to Dodger Stadium. Let's go out to Tony who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Tony, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, how you doing, David?
Speaker 17: Tony. I just want to let you know I'm a big fan of your as I seen you in a few US training games over there and camel Back.
Speaker 13: But I wanted to.
Speaker 17: Follow up with Jennifer how she was talking about the emotional emotions she got today at Dodger Stadium for the opening day, and I got to reflect on that. I got to say that she's on point and letting you know that is one of the best opening days in history for the Dodgery history, and it was super exciting with the flyover and then the Gibbie. It's honestly, emotion came through my wife and I and I think is one of the best best opening ceremonies ever. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to ask you what got to you more the flyover Kirk Gibson thrown out the first pitch to Freddie Freeman or Ice Cube, surprising everybody and showing up for the home opener.
Speaker 17: Honestly, it is all heart felt. I never thought I would say this, but here's where we're coming down. Both my wife and I eyes and it was just it was it was everything. It wasn't one specific moment, it was pretty much the entire the entire time. So you you do a great job. Thank you for everything that you do, and hopefully I'll see you running to you one day.
Speaker 9: We love you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, guys. I appreciate it, appreciate the love. And man I could tell you guys bleed Dodger Blue eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Yeah, it was a spectacular day out here at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers got it right like they normally do. Uh, but today was especially a beautiful day out here at Dodger Stadium. They had the fire captains from the Altadena Fire Department and the LA Fire Department unveiling.
Speaker 3: By the way, when you.
Speaker 2: Come to Dodger Stadium and you look up towards that stadium club down the right field line, you'll see the twenty twenty four World Championship baseball that will be there forever. I loved how they flew the flag. The flag will be flying all season long, the American flag and the twenty twenty four World Championship flag. That's always special when you come to Dodgers Stadium. So they will be celebrating the World Series all season long. But I love how these players can compartmentalize that they can celebrate it, enjoy it. Freddie Freeman told us that in Tokyo. But they also understand they want more. They're not satisfied. And before today's game and all the pregame hoopla, we had a chance to be in the manager's office with Dave Roberts and asked him how do the Dodgers keep the edge after such a great run to the World Series last year.
Speaker 8: You know what, I think there's individual goals. Certainly, I think each person has their own motivations, which is rightful and should be, and there's also a team sense of it. And I think for me, the message was really about our character and trying to really build a legacy for the organization, for the fans do things the right way. And I think that our guys, as you see us play every day, we mind the little things. We play the right way. We play Dodger Baseball stick together. It's not linear a major League baseball season. There's ups and downs, ebbs and flows, and just continue to make mind the little things for me and the noise will be muted and our expectation is again to hoist that trophy up.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts, entering his tenth season as the Dodgers manager, You're a decade in now, Dave, and you got more ahead of you. When you look at look back at the culture that you've established here, What are you the most proud of?
Speaker 8: I think the thing I'm most proud of is our guys respect their positions as major league players, respect the uniform, the franchise, the Dodgers are educated on the history of the game, our organization. It's a responsibility to be a major league player that are accountable to one another, and we do things the right way. And I think for me is you know, there's not the caddy egos strife in some other clubhouses or locker rooms. Baseball is the thing and winning is the thing. And that's all we care about it, I think for me and the consistency of that mindset is something I'm probably most proud of.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's manager Dave Roberts, who you know, at this time last year everybody was saying, well, does he have to win it all to keep his job? And then when the Dodgers were down two games to one to the Padres, well, it looks like this is the end for Dave Roberts. How crazy is it that the narrative changed so quickly from a year ago and even just months ago to now. Dave Roberts has a three year extension and he's a two time World Series champion, and it feels like you have actually turned the corner and realized that this guy might be doing something right after nine years being the manager, and now in his tenth season. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dave Roberts manages the rest of this game after blake'snew when five innings, deployed his bullpen and.
Speaker 3: Was able to get a five to four win.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are three to oh to start the twenty twenty five season. Let's go out to Sheldon who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Sheldon, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Well, it's us, say love the show Man.
Speaker 15: So I truly believe the Dodgers are so stacked that we can go one sixty two and oh but in the event that we don't, what do you think is gonna happen with our top prospects to Paula Rushing and Hope. Our team is so stacked, how are you going to mix them in the outfield this season?
Speaker 2: Well, the beauty of the Dodgers is they're ready and they have enough depth if injuries occur. What if Will Smith goes down, does that mean all of a sudden now Dalton Rushing is going to get his opportunity?
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 2: I don't believe they're going to go to Hunter Fiducca or Chris Oke right away if it's an extended period of time.
Speaker 3: But you hope Will stays healthy. But that's that's that situation.
Speaker 2: And as far as jose Way Depaula, he's a couple of years away, Sheldon, So there's no rush on that. And actually, if you look at the Dodger outfield, that's one area of the team that you would hope in the next two to three years, guys like Depaula and Zayer Hope can can hold down the outfield. You know, once the ta Oscar Hernandez contract expires in three or four years. Conforto's on a one year deal. So you got pie Hez and those two young guys as well. Thanks, I say, hey, my pleasure, Sheldon. I don't mind looking at the macro as well as the micro.
Speaker 3: No worries about that.
Speaker 2: But you know, if that's the biggest concern for the Dodgers, they're in a pretty good spot. And if you look at their pitching staff, you know, I was talking to David Kohane about it. You know a lot of these guys. Five of these guys can be a starting rotation for any number of teams. When you look at the Dodgers starting five, and then you think about the guys that aren't pitching, including Otani and Kershaw and Tony Gonsolin. You got Landon Knack and Bobby Miller in the minor leagues. You saw what Jackson Ferris is doing and the fast track that he's on to be in the big leagues. The Dodgers basically have ten deep they have. They're ten deep in their starting pitching. I mean, who can say that. It's ridiculous what they have going on, and they have lined themselves up to be in that position. Let's go out to Hollywood. Nick, You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 5: Nick, Hey, what's going on DV? Hey?
Speaker 18: So I just wanted to talk about your favorite pitcher the Lakes. Now, I look pretty good today, got touched up a little bit, but looked real good. I was just wondering if you're worried about him falling into the same problem he's always kind of had, of trying to be too fine and getting a lot of balls, walking a lot of batters, putting batters on base. Is that like concern you at all?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: And I'm always trying to tell him I want six innings. I want seven innings out of him. He doesn't need to make the nastiest pitch every single time. He was trying to throw the nastiest curveball when he spiked it and it went over Will Smith's shoulder and that allowed the Tigers to tie the score on a wild pitch there. He was trying to be too nasty. He doesn't need to be that guy. But you know he he's a perfectionist. He wants to be the best he could be. Make the best pitch every time, but you can't be chasing, you know, the best pitch.
Speaker 3: You got to chase out.
Speaker 18: Awesome, Thanks man, I remember smellbat snow?
Speaker 3: All right, Nick, thanks for the folk all.
Speaker 2: I'm glad everybody's excited about snell Zilla. I mean, you're gonna find out you know what I knew. I don't want to sound that way, but he is a two time cy Young Winner. He is thirty one years old. He has pitched in the World Series, he has pitched in the NLCS. He beat the Dodgers in the NLDS a couple of years ago. So it's not like this guy's twenty four years old just breaking into the big leagues. He has a pretty extensive resume, and if you go back to last year, he threw a Noah hitter and had one of the best ten game stretches to close out a season than any other pitcher has had in recent baseball history. Let's go out to Jerry, who's at Dodger or was at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Hi, Jerry, how you doing.
Speaker 6: Hi, Da, Hi Dave.
Speaker 5: How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great?
Speaker 5: Yep, Hey, thanks for taking our call.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I flew down from Danville, California this morning to go to the opening game with my son Joey. Just loved it. We thought the Dodgers just did an outstanding job of putting on a great show, classy organization, and we love the story about Clayton Kershaw in back in twenty thirteen at the greatest opening game in the way the great Vin Scully closed out that game was Clayton Kershaw one San Francisco Giants nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, that definitely was Vin. Thanks a lot for the phone call, Jerry, and I'm glad you made some new memories at Dodger Stadium earlier today.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. It doesn't get any better for the Tigers tomorrow, and it should be just as fun before the game tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium as the Dodgers will receive their World Championship rings before the game and Yoshi Yamamoto will be making his second start of the year. He went five innings in opening day in tow five innings one earn run. He's looking for his second win of the year, going up against former Dodger Jack Flarerty, who re signed with the Tigers during the offseason after being traded to the Dodgers at the deadline last year. So I had a chance to talk to Jack and he has only but great memories coming back to Dodgers Stadium and he was able to take it all in yesterday when the Tigers worked out on the off days.
Speaker 3: So looking forward to seeing.
Speaker 2: Jack Flerity back on the mount at Dodgers Stadium. He'll receive his championship ring on Saturday, and Jack said he'll join us on the pregame show before Saturday's game after getting his ring.
Speaker 3: So looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: And hey, Jack Flarity was a big part of what the Dodgers did in the postseason last year. By the way, Tomorrow's game back to the usual seven to ten first pitch Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score on Snell's Zilla Day, Blake Snell earns his first win as a Dodger as the Dodgers offense powers their way past the Tigers five to four.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you tomorrow night. Have a great rest of your Thursday night.
Speaker 2: See them on six second.
Speaker 5: Just don't
Speaker 3: Snap.