Speaker 1: All right, We're back here on another episode of the Restaurant Report, and today is going to be a fun one because I've got Michael Halen with my great friends over here at Bloomberg coming in as one of the top analysts in the industry. Michael, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. How are you, Paul?
Speaker 1: It's been good. I think a lot's happening in the space right now, more so Newswise, which we're going to be covering some stuff on Starbucks. We're going to hit shakeshack today, talk about the healthy category and also take a look at where money is going in the space. So everybody stick around, we'll be right back. All right, I'm back here with Michael coming in from Bloemberg Intelligence. Is it intelligence or do you guys have a different category with all the analysts we talked to some of the other guys and it's Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we call the department.
Speaker 3: But that's our research department, Compasses, equities, corporates, you name.
Speaker 2: It's all into that umbrella.
Speaker 1: So when you look at Michael, you're covering the space right now. Talk to me, first of all, what is your beat? Are you covering all publicly traded where they're going in terms of trends, cycles, how their revenues are doing. Give me kind of the one to one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we cover seventeen of the largest publicly traded restaurant companies, US Foods and Cisco, and we're analyzing those companies individually, trying to project out earnings over the next couple of years, and writing research on how we think their business is going to go moving forward. And then you know, we also do a good bit of industry level research, so we talk a lot about trends and sales and margins and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, we got to talk about AI because this is something that we're seeing a lot of integration into major brands, including the supply chain as well, and the potential future here for the restaurant industry. When you're on the street right now, is is this a big deal in the restaurant industry yet or is it still kind of arms length of people trying to discover what's going on.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't think it's a big deal just yet because I don't think we've seen all the benefits. We've seen some benefits, I believe, you know, there's been a lot of work on big data, which is I guess was AI before it was called AI, right, And there was a lot of initiatives in terms of.
Speaker 2: Theoretical versus actual.
Speaker 3: Food programs as well as labor programs and sales projecting algorithms, right, and those are being improved by AI machine learning right now. And so that's the benefit i'd say we're seeing right now moving forward, though we expect much bigger benefits. You know, one that's probably really close to benefiting a company at Chipotle's HR program, right, because that's going to free up the managers to do a lot less interviewing, It's gonna it's going to free up a lot more of their time to touch the guests and make sure that the restaurants are running smoothly and and and focus on their day to day, which they personally they'd rather be focused on, right. And so that that's one that that should help Chipotle pretty soon. And then you know, we have stuff that's you know, still quite expensive and more down the line, but has you know definitely are are very interesting, right. And so sticking with Chipotle because they're on the bleeding edge, you know, they have the second make line, the automated second make line that's underneath the counter for to go orders, and uh, they're testing that and in quite a quite a few stores. You know, they tried the automated chip fryers. Those those didn't seem to work out as well. But the autocado the machine that cuts course appeals avocados for the guacamole, seems to be working pretty well. That's also being tested in a lot of stores. You know, places like Jack in the Box. They have these AI fryars and these automated drink machines that they're working on. But right now, all that technology is pretty expensive, right and so you know, as that technology costs decline and as minimum wages continue to rise, eventually they'll be an ROI on those things and they'll be more ubiquitous in the restaurant industry, but not so much right now.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so you mentioned Chippotle. We got to go there for a second because obviously briannkel he jumps over to Starbucks. We'll talk about that in a second. But boat Rice got about right taking over the lead there looks like it's going to be a you know, a permanent position. What do you think about the management team right now, are you consistent with most of what the industry is saying is that this is a good cycle for Chipotle's team to kind of lead through this next phase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: You know, we we thought Scott boat right was the right man for the job. We were happy to see that he got the full time tag. They they dropped the interim tag on them, and you know, we we think that was the right move. They also, you know, last year they kind of quietly gave senior management team members pretty big raises and extended their contracts. And you know, I think part of that was fear that Brian Nicchol could try to poach them poach yeah, right, And so yeah, Brian Nichol seems to be a popular guy.
Speaker 2: A lot of people want to go work with him.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, by keeping that senior management team uh intact, I think was one hundred percent the right move. When you have a company that's going, you know, doing so well and outperforming for so long, you don't want to upset the apple cart, right, and so yeah.
Speaker 2: We think we think it was it was the right to keeping.
Speaker 1: A guy the ship on the rails. Well, the good thing there if you look at Chipotle, they've continued to experiment with new stuff, and I think that, to your point, is what they've done with some of their AI automation with HR. We just saw that story last week we report on it. But the interesting thing to me is that usually showcases that the brand has an appetite for some things like that that can be very you know, forward thinking. So good stuff for Chipotle. I think in general, they're probably one of the leaders out there in the market. Let's jump over to Starbucks for a second. I'll bring up the story Starbucks laid off eleven hundred corporate workers. Now, of course, this is Brian Nickel, the CEO, and this is six point nine percent of the non retail staff. That's a significant number there. So first of all, why did he do it? And does this change anything on the Starbucks forefront? What's your opinion?
Speaker 3: No, this is pretty unexpected from where I sit. You know, when when Brian Nichol took the job, he took over for a management team that struggled mightily, tried a lot of different tactics, didn't have a lot of discipline, you know, And one of the things that we right off the bat was that he was going to bring in accountability, a culture of accountability and transparency, right and if for people that weren't pulling their weight, you know, they should be worried. And he started with the senior management team. There, there was some changes right away at the top of the organization, and now it's making it, you know, down a little bit further into the other members of the corporate staff. But listen, this is a team that's been underperforming for quite some time, right, and so you know, these big organizations, it's easy for employees to get lost, right. And you know, you were joking around before we started this, but you know, you know, maybe they were influenced by the Dosee team try to run the operations a little bit more industry, right, And you know, I think I think, you know, he he wants change, He wants his people in there, like any good CEO does, especially with one like him, with his track record, he'll be able to attract employees, uh easily.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no surprise from where we said.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, we've seen the industry blue and brands let go seventeen percent of their support center workforce just last week. Denny's also said earlier in the month that it had undertaken some corporate layoffs. Then we saw Dine Brands terminated about nine percent of its corporate workforce. So this seems to be a consistent theme that's going throughout the industry. Do you think we're going to see more throughout twenty twenty five?
Speaker 3: Well, I would say what the common thread between those four companies has been seam source of sales underperformed. It's pretty vast underperformance last year, right, And so you know when you have chains that were putting up negative seam source sales, you know the revenue bas is shrinking. You know, this is not uncommon, right, And so I don't think so. I think I've heard. I think we've heard most of the announcements this year, because if you're going to do this, you want to do it earlier in the year so you get that benefit, you know, sooner, right in terms of lower SG and A. So I think we've heard most of the announcements for this year. I don't think that the companies that are performing really well are looking to cut headcount at the moment, right. It's the companies that had a really rough twenty twenty four that are looking to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to bring up a story. You mentioned same store sales, and of course when you bring up that terminology, you cannot go without mentioning this right here, which is Chili's thirty one point four percent same store sales increase in Q two. What in the world was going on here at Chili's that would cause this kind of thing? Have you seen anything in terms of your research that has indicated this kind of growth for Chili's.
Speaker 3: Well, we didn't protect thirty percent. I'll tell you that nobody has, I mean the most. And I didn't know we were going to talk about this. Did you just notice my head?
Speaker 2: I just sell that, so I say, I got to bring it up. So yeah, I mean it's been incredible.
Speaker 3: I mean forever it's been the Dominoes turnaround, right like our pizza stinks, We're sorry, will make it better. And you know they did like a ten percent, and now Chile's now is compon thirty percent over a six and a half last year, which.
Speaker 2: Is crazy, something I've never seen.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's ever happened for a mature, established brand of this size that's been around this long. Absolutely incredible. Kevin Hawkman and his team has done a phenomenal job. And it's a similar playbook. Uh you know that Brian Nicols is looking to execute in Starbucks. Right, It's like nail the operations, right. They right off the bat, they simplified the menu, right. They actually took discounts away, you know, because because constant discounting is basically just telling your your customers that the fluid rights on the menu, yep, right, And so they removed the discounts, which you know was a bold move to do last year in the midst of a you know, restaurant.
Speaker 1: Recession, casual dining sector.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, one hund so and and shrinking the menu and bringing backbusters and putting more labor into the stores, getting that experience, right, nailing that experience, and then from there really pressing the gas on the marketing side. And their their marketing team is the best in the business. I mean, they're absolutely crushing it on social media, through TikTok, through their TV advertising. They have ads ads, you know, taking shots at QSR and and and the high prices that qs are.
Speaker 2: They're doing really well right on TikTok.
Speaker 3: You know, they're changing the menu based based on some of the things that they're their customers are doing on TikTok and they're paying attention.
Speaker 2: It's very reactive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very reactive. Brand, somewhat nimble, seems to be somewhat nimble. Do you think this is all leadership driven or do you feel like maybe there is a new wave of talent starting to make their way into these brands right now and we're starting to see the results of this.
Speaker 2: Well. Good leaders bring good talent with them.
Speaker 3: Kevin Hockman brought in George Felix and Jesse Johnson and many of the people he had worked with in the past at Young Brands and.
Speaker 2: Taco Bell as well.
Speaker 3: So no, he's brought some great talent in there with him, and this is a brand that people used to love exactly right, And I think that's what you know. I got a chance to sit down with Kevin a couple of weeks ago, and he said he was like, this was a great brand once apon of time, you know, and I just saw that there was a lot of potential here. And I told him I loved your brand twenty years ago, and then about ten years ago, my son loved your brand when he was little and he'd always want to go there. And I was like, oh, man, I don't know to chilies, you know, but it's changed over the last three years. They've leaned pretty hard into the stuff that's made Chilies great, you know, the differentiation, the different menu than the other casual dining competitors, really leaning more into that Southwestern cuisine. And yeah, man, it's been an incredible, incredible result.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they also because this is something that my wife brought up not too long I said, Honey, we got to go to a Chili's. It was after I saw these numbers. I haven't been to one in at least three years, and I went in for the first time in a long time. And first of all, the one thing I noticed, more so than anything, was their customer service had really elevated, and the greet was better, the service speed was better, the check back was better. They made sure all the entrees were right, and they then they asked if we liked them, and I was like, Okay, this is a different kind of experience at a casual dining restaurant, so I kind of see maybe this has started to seep down into their operations. Which is cool to see a brand like Chili's which is obviously. I mean, this is kind of these kind of numbers and performance pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: There's just a lot of low hanging through right like that the operations twenty years ago, this was Chili's right and now they're exactly getting back getting back to that, which is great to see.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you in part by Gusto, the number one rated HR platform for payroll, benefits and more. With Gusto's easy to use platform, you can empower your people and push your business forward.
Speaker 2: Over four hundred.
Speaker 1: Thousand businesses choose Gusto every day. And let's get into it, guys. There's a couple of things you can do with Gusto that you should check out. Some of the solutions that you're just absolutely going to want to know about is of course, their business type, new businesses and startups. You guys are welcome coming in small businesses. Maybe you have a mid sized business that needs an all in one payroll and benefit program as well as HR all of this scaling. The cool thing about this is it's an all in one platform. They can also select and punch in right to your accountants. So check it out. You've got a Gusto Pro platform You can become a partner with them if you're an accountant, so if you have a CPA already, this is the place for you. And of course the best thing is pricing. The thing about Gusto is flexible plans and features, honest pricing, no hidden fees. This is the plan that we use, which is the Plus plan sixty bucks a month. Guys, you cannot go wrong. It's about nine bucks a person, so you guys can definitely afford it. Get in there and choose Gusto with a full suite of tax services, HR services, time tracking, scheduling, expenses, reimbursements. You get the picture. Gusto is the place for you. Check it all out. Just go over to gusto dot com use our link down below to get started. See you there. We got to hit on Shakeshack. They're opening up their kitchen innovation lab. This is coming up in Atlanta this year, so it's going to test whip meant layout. So I'm kind of interested to see if they've got maybe a new layout planned. But also they're going to improve on processes and optimizations. I don't know where shakeshack would really I mean, because their speed is pretty good inside the restaurant itself. But it's good to see an innovation lab starting, you know, in a major brand like Shakeshak. Anything that you think this will do in terms of improving what Shakeshak is bringing to market.
Speaker 3: You're bringing up all of the companies we're most excited about this shift. So this has been this has been fun, Paul. So there is some low hanging fruit here as well. And so when Shakeshak was created, it was created by the Union Square Hospitality Group, and it really has a fine dining type set up in the sure not how you should be running a fast, casual, quick service burger joint. And so there needs to be work done on the kitchen layout. And what what new CEO Rob Lynch has talked about is he wants a line that you know, starts on one end of the restaurant and ends at at the at the drive through window, right. And so they want to they want to improve their speed of service in the in the kitchen, uh, And then that's going to tie in pretty closely to the drive through, right. Rob Lynch is a big believer in the drive through. But wait times have been you know, pretty poor, and it makes sense, right when you're making food to orders drive through is going to be slow, right, and so they're going to have to make some some changes to their.
Speaker 2: Drive through processes.
Speaker 3: But he's a big believer on it, and so although it hasn't been very incremental just yet, you know, he believes that that this is going to be a huge driver for this company. And you know, these are the two areas that that innovation kitchen is going to focus on.
Speaker 2: First, well, if.
Speaker 1: They get into a scenario where they can reduce some of the build out costs, because that that will open up maybe some real estate opportunities for them, which I think we'll expand maybe give some venue to expand the brand itself. And if you look at where they are right now in terms of their growth and what they could bring to the market. Back to your point is drive through seems to be one of the growing sectors for Shakescheck and it's a very good competitive edge for them if they can actually speed it up. So that will be a big one for Lynch if he pulls it off. I'm going to look at this one in a few months and see if it's actually had some kind of impact on drifting. We get new shake checks down here, in Florida where am we finally got one out very close to our studio here and with your drive through not too long ago, and exactly the same problem is that made to order you know, spends that drive through time up to around seven to nine minutes, and that is just unfortunately too long for most consumers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's you know, listen, the dining room and the drive through the they work good together in terms of easing pressure on one versus the other, right, and maybe the opposite for Shakeshack.
Speaker 2: So whereas us are you know, people use the dining room only when the drive through line is too long. Well maybe at Shakeshack it's the opposite.
Speaker 3: If the dining room's too busy, I'll use the drive through lean right, But they can use pressure on the other channel, which is nice to have.
Speaker 1: They've done a good job, I think with the design of their restaurants too. In general, most of the news stores, you know, they all kind of have unique footprints. I'm intrigued to see what Lynch comes up with because of his background and how he can you know, increase throughput, because I like this whole idea around the line really maximizing what drive through speed could be. But with that that's probably going to open up and they mentioned it in the article, is going to open up a lot of opportunity in terms of a kitchen equipment, which could really get intriguing if they implement some of this new advanced you know tech that seems to be coming in from the kitchen industr in terms of you know, back of house stuff, so a lot of low hanging back to your point, a lot of low hanging fruit. Let's get into the healthy eating category, all right, So this has been a category that has been winning for years, you know, I'd say easily the last decade protein bar courses talking about this. But I'm more intrigued with your opinion on, first of all, how and if healthy can truly maintain its current market position or do you feel like we're going to start to see a little bit of a shift, because if you look at shakesheck covet to a certain extent, I would say a little bit more healthy, but still very you know, very decadent in the sense that you really get really great food there. Do you think healthy as maybe run its course or do you feel like it's still got an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Here now it still has an opportunity because gen Z loves it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Gen Z is is you know, it's a small, uh demographic cohort, but they are the trendsetters right now. And chains that are attracting large numbers of gen Z seem to be outperformed. They are outperforming so and they a lot of them want you know.
Speaker 2: Healthier food.
Speaker 3: Right, it's going to continue to do better on the coasts. I think Middle America is going to take longer, I think, to adopt some of these healthier eating habits, but not we We think this is here to stay.
Speaker 1: You mentioned u gen Z and the healthy eater and eat healthier eating habits, and then I look at you know, some of the categories that are big, you know, really big market share for a lot of these casual dining which has been you know, the liquor business and the beverage business. Now you're talking or we hear more and more of gen Z is going to where uh you know, the mocktail concept. Do you think that's going to split up or start to adjust product mix and some of those day parts for some of these casual dining chains. Since we're seeing some of that healthiness, maybe seep into other brands.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, Texas Roadhouse just announced a mocktail program, right, so this is this is here and and and I don't think the the push you know, the lower alcohol consumption is just gen Z, right, because a lot of go across Yeah, a lot of gen Z members are are you too young to drink?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 3: But you know, when I was at you know, you know these restaurant conferences.
Speaker 2: People really like to get after it.
Speaker 3: And I wasn't drinking at the last ICR conference, and there was a lot of people that I know that I'm friendly with or friends with that were not drinking. They were all partaking in dry January. So this is you know, very much a headwind for full service dining establishments casual dining, right, And so the mocktail program is smart. You can offset some of that loss with some fancy, expensive non alcoholic drinks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, you know, if it's hitting the right vein in terms of how some consumers are kind of going in on this. Typically you see those kind of things or you know, the calorie counters in the beginning always you know, kind of resolution based. But it's starting to last and it seems though the people we've talked to, the strategies are working in terms of creating a lot more unique menu offerings, doing like energy infused stuff in some of the categories. Now we're starting to see some more savory elements, so it's getting very creative, which I think could blend into a new opportunity there. Back to your point on healthy eating that will be interesting to watch. I want to talk about funding because this is a story that surprised me that came across Nation's Restaurant News and Just Salad, which for those of you listening in, this is a I would say a medium sized chain, not a massive chain, but they drew in about two hundred million in funding on a round that was multi lad here. But the bigger question to me, Michael, is when you look at where the market is right now on these medium sized regional chains and or maybe some of these chains like a Chipotle, or not a Chipotle, but like a Chili's or some of the other emerging casual dining concepts that could be going out after cash, do you think this is something that is kind of a one offer. Do you feel like there's more money opening up to the market right now.
Speaker 3: We think there's more money opening up backup restaurant finance. In November, a lot of the bankers that we know had become more bullish about twenty twenty five versus twenty twenty four. There's a lot of pent up demand for deals. Twenty twenty four. Obviously, we're in that restaurant recession. It was a tough year for valuations and deals, and you know.
Speaker 2: Buyers and sellers had to get really creative.
Speaker 3: But things that seem to be opening up, and you know, seam store sales have improved. I know they've been kind of bumpy, especially here in February with some of the weather, but they have improved since before the election. And then I think we have some really you know, I know, we have some easy uh saame sort of sales comps to lap and so you know, top lines should be getting better here. We have asset prices near all time highs, which should boosts you know, middle and upper income consumer spending, and so, you know, I think there's a brighter outlook right now, and we'd expect a lot more deals to get done this year than last year.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: What are you looking at for twenty twenty five that you guys, when you're researching all these brands and you see these opportunities that seem to be starting to bud for some of these chains, do you think we're going to see some more breakouts like what we saw with Chili's in twenty twenty five for some other brands.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we wrote in our year ahead out look was that, you know, we're really where we're seeing a lot of movement and success is with like just nailing the operations and then marketing right. And so that what we've seen Chili's do and and continue to do, and actually now the same store sales are accelerating. There's some companies that have management changes that we think can use a similar playbook to boost their same source sales.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about all but one.
Speaker 3: We talked about Starbucks, we talked about Shake Shack, we talked about and then it was uh.
Speaker 2: Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel is the other one.
Speaker 3: We think Cracker Barrel has a pretty they have a new ceou. We think she's doing a phenomenal job. We think she has a great plan for boosting you know, same source of sales and traffic going forward. And uh, that's another company we think has a pretty good opportunity.
Speaker 1: Do you think that demographic has shifted for Cracker Barrel some or or is it just there maybe their approach toward their own business itself of just remodeling it to where it's going to get better in terms of performance. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the food, you know, the food innovation, you know, is going to be a big one this year to help draw in.
Speaker 2: You know, draw in customers.
Speaker 3: But it's really it's the same thing starting with the operations, right, It's like getting nailing the service, getting the experience right, you know, and then it's menu innovation. So now when we bring in a customer, they're not going to have a bad experience and they're going to want to come back, right, And so they've nailed those. Now they're going to market more aggressively.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: They're doing some stuff on TikTok as well. They're doing more advertising during NASCAR and Bravo, which has a huge overlap between CDR customers and Bravo watchers.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And so now they're they're you know, advertising around more relevant modern food. It's you know, their typical Southern like classics with a twist, right, and and and then the remodels will be next year. The remodels are are a big part of drawing in the gen Z customers. Right, They're gonna have a brighter, brighter tones in terms of paint, They're gonna have more lighting in the stores, and they think that will help attract the younger generations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm a little bit more excited about is to see a new design theme kind of brought forward to because we are seeing quite a few brands that that have done some fairly successful remakes over the last few years in terms of just what they've done from a design standpoint. So Cracker Barrel, of course, has been a long standing brand that kind of lives in that theme, you know, of very southern roots, and I get it. So it'll be interesting considered.
Speaker 2: It was interesting. Sorry, yeah, it was interesting.
Speaker 3: It's a it's an old country store theme, so they thought and for the longest time they were right that they didn't have to do a full remodel of the stores because it's in an old country store, right, And it was a great you know, point of emphasis for investors going back ten years ago. It is like this company spends way less on cap X and then they can use that cash to buy back shares and pay a dividend.
Speaker 2: Right, And but it caught up to them, right.
Speaker 3: The younger generations want.
Speaker 2: You know, they're more discerning and then they almost what they want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so always do for sure. Michael has been good catching up with you. I love to do the rundown on where some of these are. Each quarter we try to look at what's happening in the performance. Obviously we're ending up here in Q one and getting ready to in March. Uh So this will be a good one because we'll get a chance to see some new earnings come in hopefully soon and see how some of these brands are doing. So we'll definitely get you back on the show. But thanks for coming in today. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Sure think you.
Speaker 1: Bet are you guys? If you're not, you know, subscribe to the channel. Make sure do that. Of course you can catch Michael Haling over on Bloomberg and learn a little bit more about what their analysis is. But all you have to do is jump over to sav Fm. You'll find us over there and all of our podcasts. Also check out the YouTube channel, which is approaching two hundred thousand subscribers.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's because of you guys, so make sure and comment down below. Give us a like or two if you are watching the video version of this. If you're in the audio version, just give us a start and we'll catch you next time right here on the restaurant Report