Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone. It is now a little bit after nine o'clock. Thanks very much, Stan Watkins, and we have taken a break here and we're going to now go to the postion of the program where callers are invited to join the conversation, and I think we're about to have a fascinating conversation. My guest is David Nangele, former Massachusetts state representative representative. Welcome to Nightside. How are you tonight? David?
Speaker 3: I'm going to find Dan and thank you for having me on this evening.
Speaker 2: Well delighted to have you. I think people are going to be gratified to hear what you have to say. You did end up in federal prison for some matters that did not involve the u of public funds. These were your own political campaign funds, and I know that's sort of the end of the story and we will get to that. But you have a message that you want to impart to people because I think it's fair to say that all of your legal problems began as a consequence of an addiction.
Speaker 3: Fair statement, Absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, why did you explain in your own words, how you got to the point that you were serving in the legislature for twenty two years. You the assistant majority leader, You were known as the constituent service guy. You probably could have stayed and someday been speak with the House of Massachusetts. You're represented amongst other communities at different times, Lowell, Chelmsford, Tewkesbury and andover. You were very popular in your district and it all came apart kind of quickly. So give us your perspective, and then you're not backing away from You admitted, you played guilty, you served your time, You've paid your debt to society, all of which is good. But beyond that, now you're not coming back and hiding. You're putting your story out there tonight publicly, and I hope people will listen to it because I think it is one a cautionary tale, and it's also a story of someone who wants to get up off the mat and be a participant, and if not in public life, but certainly be a participant publicly in the cormwealth of Massachusetts. Be a person who walks with his head up, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Dan for the opportunity to speak this evening, and I'm glad that you have me on here tonight, and I'll tell my story and a little bit about where I am today and what I'm looking to do, and hopefully they can help some individuals. So, as I said, I was a kid, probably thirteen fourteen years old when UH started betting with football cards and playing a game of CODs called forty five. Then it led to betting with the local bookies at the age of sixteen seventeen, eighteen years old. Coming from the city of old there were a lot of bookies at the time. I might rat and it just got ahead of me. You know, I was seventeen years old and I owed a bookie eight hundred dollars. I was working in my uncle sub shop making probably two dollars and twenty cents an hour at the time, So that was.
Speaker 2: A lot of stubs to pay off that debt. How did you get in so deep so quickly that.
Speaker 3: I really don't know, Dan, I really don't I guess I was chasing my losses at that point in time. I have to think back, you know, that's forty seven years ago, and so we just got ahead of me. And then through a friend and a friend. I was able to get bailed out, as we say, and it was probably a good thing at the time, but unfortunately it wasn't a good thing at forty four years later with the outcome of what happened to me. So I was able to get out of that situation. But the game went continued as I continued into my twenties until my mid twenties, I got married, and you know, at that point, the game we kept going on and on, and I hit it from everybody, hit it from my siblings, from my closest friends, from other people. Some of them may have known, maybe they didn't know, but I hit it. I thought I did anyways, So at that point I'm going along and I ended up costing me my marriage. And that's what bothers me the most is the fact of what I've done to my family, to my daughter in particular, the embarrassment is shame that she went through at the same time that I did. But my family is just unbelievable. I have the best family in the world, and they all supported me throughout the darkest time of my life. My close friend were there for me as well, and it all came crashing down on February twentieth of twenty twenty, when I had eleven agents, if you will come to retrieve me out of my house and take me down to the Mocley Courthouse Federal courthouse in Boston, and ruined me that day, charged me with a whole host of different charges, misuse of campaign dollars, some tax issues, some alleged bank fraud, and so on and so forth. So I'll never forget coming out of there that day, and you being a former news reporter on the street, then you know, we walked out into a sea of reporters.
Speaker 2: And was not one of them. I was not one of them.
Speaker 3: No, No, not that, not that day. I know that. But you know the humiliation that I brought upon myself, but more importantly to me personally, the humiliation I brought upon to my family.
Speaker 2: I would just ask you questions. Just wanted to ask a couple a question here. So you had a problem when you're young. In the meantime, you get elected to the State House of Representatives and you're working a way up to the leadership rank, sure the assistant majority leader. You were on a path to become eventually Speaker of the House. I think that most people would have assumed that in that period from the time when you first got addicted to it, that covers a span of like forty years, there must have been before forty four years. There must have been some days during that time you weren't losing every bet. I'm sure that you must have had some days that you won and you probably said, hey, you know, this isn't so bad after all, but you were still hurtling toward that cliff. Is that an accurate metaphorical characterization.
Speaker 3: That's very accurate.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, any problem gambler will tell you the worst thing that can happen is having a big win, because once you have a big win, you go back, you think you're invincible and you're going to always win. That's the worst thing that can happen to a gambling individual that has a gambling problem. So yes, I served for twenty two years. I represented Bowl and some surrounding towns. I moved up in leadership. I appreciate that comment, but I don't think I ever would have been speaker. But I thoroughly enjoyed it twenty two years with just helping people. As you mentioned earlier, I was the constituent service representative known for that sort of thing. But yes, from my colleagues, hit it from anybody, so I thought maybe some new some have told me they sensed it. Since everything to be But yeah, I had a great career. I mean, there's no doubt about it. I lost my career, I lost my reputation. I was lili needed all because of a gambling addiction. I paid the price varmit daily.
Speaker 2: You pled guilty. There wasn't a trial in the classic sense of a trial. You pled out. You were sentenced to fifteen months. Again, this was all happening in the context of the arrival of COVID, just to kind of put it in some perspective. And you spent some time, especially difficult time when they were concerned about the spread of COVID, up at the Fort Devons prison where you served your time, and actually COVID got you out of You completed your sentence a little earlier as a result of COVID. Ironically one of the few people that maybe had to believe it or not a benefit from COVID. So you came home and in the time you were away, the world that you knew in the world you represented had changed dramatic.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, what absolutely.
Speaker 2: What hit you the most when when you finally you know, walked to freedom. I mean you you weren't busting rocks and you know, on a chain gang, you a white collar sort of prison circumstance, but you're still in prison. It's no fun.
Speaker 3: No, I don't care where you go. If you go to prison, if you're incarcerated at any time, it's not fun. Once that door closes, you know, you lose your freedom and most importantly, contact with your loved ones. But you do. You did what you had to do there. You know it was I worked every day, I truthfully didned. I was in an office's quarters. I was cleaning the bathrooms and mopping the floors and empty and waste baskets. I was very humble, and during the time there, it was very difficult to be away from my loved ones. That was the most important thing that bought to me. I was just as concerned about them as they were about me. But we got through it. And like I say, it was faith, family and friends that got me through that most difficult time in my life. And I have to say it was my faith that tould me through. I have a dear friend up here in Rowland. I will say his name, A great guy from a state Senator, Steve Panjatakas. And the day before I had to report, I always remember him. He put his hands on my shoulders and said, don't lose your faith, and I didn't, okay, And that's two of the most difficult time.
Speaker 2: When we come back, I got to take a break. We come back, I want to talk about what is your message. I know you were at the State House sort an ironic return. It was late March. If I'm not mistaken when I read the story, and my respect for you grew no having known you while you were in the legislature, not having known about your gambling addiction. But to come back and to go back to the place where you were always welcome, I'm sure that must have been a kind of kind of a day of nervous nerves as to how you would be received. I want to talk about that reception. I want to and I want to talk about the message that you have, and will also take some phone calls if you'd let anyone like to join the conversation. As always, I say, let's be respectful to my guests. If you want to ask a tough question. That's fine, just do it respectfully. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I guess this form of Massachusetts State Representative Dave Nangel. He he has had a huge bump in the road of life, but he is back on his feet and he feels that he still has something to give back and he's starting well, he's starting long before tonight, but he is. He has talked about the issues that are very very important to him now, and that is making sure others realize that there is a price to pay for doing something that you know that cost you your problems. And when I get I got some questions that I'm going to ask, which but I'd prefer to hear questions from the audience as well. Back on Nightside, right after this, You're.
Speaker 1: On night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: We're back with Foremostate Representative David Nangel. He has spent some time in federal prison. And you were in prison. What year did you go? Pretty much you pled guilty? Will you did you spend most of twenty twenty in prison or you no?
Speaker 3: I reported on November first of twenty twenty one, and there is released at the end of April and twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I assume that they knew you weren't going to flee. Your passport had been pulled all top. Was it just to wait? I mean, you knew you were going to be sentenced to something?
Speaker 3: I assume right, Oh, absolutely is some on. A dear friend of mine had said to me along the way, I was doing time, waiting to do my time. It was that lapse. I pled guilty to the counts in February of twenty twenty one, and I wasn't sentenced until September of twenty twenty one. And I remember standing before Judge Sobel, who sentenced me, and at that time, you know, I told her I'd take full responsibility for my actions. Whatever sentence you will pose on me, I'm ready to accept. And I said to her at that time, and what I would like to do at the end of all of what's going to happen to me, my sentence and so forth, I want to become a productive citizen. But I said, maybe, just maybe I can help a young high school kid or a college kid not to travel down the road that I traveled for over forty years, and I noticed that the judge took notice of that, and she gave me the sentence of fifteen months, the lower end of the recommendation, and I asked to go as soon as possible at that point, and I reported November first.
Speaker 2: To get it over with. I had to be a tough Thanksgiving and a tough Christmas, I assume.
Speaker 3: And a birthday in the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday. So, so what are you physically doing at this point? You've been you've been out now for at least a couple of years, more than that. Actually you've been out, what almost three years?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, coming upon years?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, So what do you are you speaking to youth groups? Obviously you're doing this program tonight, which takes a lot of courage. You're not being compensated in any way, shape or form. You're doing this because this, I think is what you consider to be part of your responsibility. And I appreciate that. I have you been invited to high schools, to colleges. I think that we're.
Speaker 3: No, we were in the process when it first came out. Arthur Demulis from Mock to Basket was kind enough to offer me a position that I worked at a market basket up in New Hampshire for about a year and a half and then at that time my passion at that point became I said, wait a minute, I really want to give back. I've got to find a way to help someone else and not going down the road. I did and I met Bob Cox from the Bridge Club here en roll, which is a nonprofit that deals with all substance abuses, whether it's alcohol or substance abuse, gambling, overeatings and so forth. So he approached me and I went to work down there, and in the meantime I've become a recovery coach. And then last fall I started working part time for the Mass Council on Gaming and Health as a peer supporters peer specialist. And in both of these roles, what you basically do is you speaking to someone that is having an issue with their gambling. But I have a lot of what they call lived experience, twenty four years of it to be exact, and at that point they kind of relate to you a little more, you know, rather than maybe sitting in talking to you know some i'one the therapist and I'm not knocking therapists by any means. But what I'm saying is they relate. I have found they relate to me or whoever the recovery coach may be, or to pay supporter may be. And I feel like, you know, in a lot of ways, being I think I've come full circle I started. You know, my main job in the legislature is helping people who cling to me with a problem. That's what I did. Now after all these years, I think I'm back doing sort of the same thing. I got the help, and now what I want to continue to do going forward is helping others and yes, to get to the kids, and I'm working with I don't want to get into it right now, but you might be able to imagine a university president and a city manager and we're working on something where I would go in to the schools, to the car, we'll just talk to the kids. And I want to say, by the way, if from all the studies and everything that I've learned so much, we did we're talking kids starting at the age of twelve or thirteen years old today, That's that's where it's really at. Having.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm assuming that that you were gambling was primarily on professional sports or was it college sports, pro sports, horse racing? Was it a were you betting on everything? And did you have a specialty that you felt you could beat the odds?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Professional football? And of course living in Law we were twenty minutes from an old racetrack called Rockingham Park and just being around it, you know, in all my younger years, and so I would bet on ended. We have the old football cads, you remember those, and so anything at all?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: And were you a better twelve months out of the year or did you take a break when football ended?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you know I had in my young years it would end probably, But as I got into my twenties and thirties, thinking bad it would be football and baseball and basketball and the Hustes. Then it became the Husses. Quite a bit of the attraction to the racing tracks. Yes. And then you know, in the last ten years, with everything on the TV and everything's so accessible and all the phones. You know, your phone can do everything. You can sit right in here writing your home and do it. And as you know, as I said to it, I've said publicly before. You know, someone can be sitting at the dinner table with this spouse and two or three kids sitting there and can be betting this month's mortgage away, mortgage payment away. And that's the reality of what's going on today. And I'm not saying I'm not saying I'm against gambling. I want to make that perfectly clear. I think that's fine. I'm just talking about those that have a problem gambling, or the public health model as we call it, responsible gaming model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like anything else, people, not everybody who drinks beer, wine or even liquor is in it. There are people who do it within reason, and there were people who enjoy I guess, watching a football game on Saturday and having a few dollars. But but you weren't making bets with friends, so it wasn't like we were sitting watching a football game and we're betting ten bucks on You got the paypriots and I got the jets. How big were your bets? What was the range that you were normally in, and what's the biggest bet you ever lost? And that's my last question for the news.
Speaker 3: I have that in the throes of a den, I bet one hundred or two hundred dollars on a game, or or three hundred dollars maybe go up as much as a five hundred dollars single bet probably at the end. Yeah, and then when the casinos came around that that became a big problem. With the proximity to Connecticut. Yeah, I could sip down there and call them. Thought I covered my tracks, but you know just what I was doing, and then the addiction just got to me going down and playing blackjack or playing slot machine. I mean, that would be it. I think I never bet more than five hundred dollars on a particular game, but you lose that five hundred, then you bet another five hundred or another three hundred. But the way it is today out there, they you know, you can't watch a sporting event without you know, all the advertisement coming on and promotions, and there's all sorts of promotions for kids. And that's where I want to go with this as I go along and whatever time I have left, if I can educate kids, in particular the youth about the problem gambling.
Speaker 2: You know more than I said I said last question. But my last question, we're going to go to phone calls right after the break. You're right, you pay for your for the for the convictions. You paid your price to society. Do you ever have the urge today when you're watching a ball game or watching a football game and sat I wish I had some money on this or has that impulse been completely squaw squashed?
Speaker 3: Lucky from me, it's been completely squashed. I can sit here. He's watching the Red Sox game. It was a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right from there you go.
Speaker 3: But I can watch any sporting event. And I've always been a die grown Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox fan, so yeah, amazingly I can sit and watch every game and hear and on. Ok And no, I do not. I really don't have an urge at all. I never do. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we will take a break. My guest is former Massachusetts state Representative David Nangle, and Daved Angles spent some time in Feu prison for there was some bank fraud, mortgage fraud, and some use of political campaign funds. No public moneies we were used. He spent in effects seven months at Fort depens. He's now out putting his life back together.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And my suspicion is that he's genuine that he wants to try to help U tell other people what his experience is and try to caution them. So this I do consider this to be a cautionary tale. We're going to go to phone calls. Those of you out there who would be kind enough to join us, we'd appreciate it very much. Six seven, six, one, seven, ten thirty. I got lines open on both those numbers. Coming right back on night Side. Phone calls, your comments, I hope they're positive, but you can ask any question you want back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Right after this, you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: My guest, former state Representative David Nangel. The indictment that he pled guilty to was a federal indictment that said that he illicitly used campaign funds to, among other things, pay for personal expenses, to fraud his bank lender, and collect income that he failed to report to the Internal Revenue Service. Pled guilty to those Again emphasize, he's a politician, I'm black, member of the legislature. Never mixed public moneys with what he was convicted for. So let's go to the phones. We're going to start it off with Dennis in Lowell. Dennis, you've held on a while. Thanks very much. You were first this hour a night side with formustate Rep. David Nangle. Go right ahead, Dennis, yep.
Speaker 6: Good evening, Dan, and good evening David. Dennis Canty calling, I go way back with David, and I like to personally a test that to me, David Nangle is that fine person individually and always will be. I've known David since he was a little kid and his family and always tried to help people. Unfortunately he did not help himself until it was too late. But right now, immiate that I appreciate those kind words. And the truth of the matter was we helped people a lot, Dennis, as when I served as representative. And the truth of the matter is I needed to help.
Speaker 3: I have got it, and now I want to pay it forward, so to speak, and help someone else who's struggling with any addiction. At this point, thank you Dennis for the kind words.
Speaker 6: Well, it's true. I just you know, I wouldn't say them unless they're true. And Dan knows me, he knows I speak. You know the truth from what I see in here's.
Speaker 2: A straight shooter, David. If you get Dennis, Dennis has your back. You you covered. Thank you, Dennis, appreciate you taking time to call. And it's a tough spot that he found himself in, and he's paid the price to society and now he's trying to, I think, give back. And I'm hoping some people tonight they might be listening carefully to him and recognizing maybe that some of the pitfalls that that he faced facing some other people and they listened to his guidance and his advice and David, maybe later tonight if you want, if there's anybody that is up in your neck of the woods and feels they want to talk to you, is there a way in which people can reach you, either to you know, pat you on the back, or seek your guidance. Are you fairly public at this point?
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't mind giving out my cell phone, Dan, I really don't. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm an open book and if i'm.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'll do. I will have you during the next break. I will have Rob take your cell phone number, and anyone feels that they'd like to reach you. I don't want to put it out publicly because you got to have anybody listening halfway anywhere around the world. But Rob will be able to give that to people who have a concern. Okay, thanks Dennis for We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks buddy, Okay, bye, bye, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Next, let's stay in Lowell. We're going to go to Raymond and Lowell. Raymond, you're next night's side with former state representative David Nangele Go right ahead, Raymond, Hey.
Speaker 3: Dan, Hey, Dave, Hello Raymond.
Speaker 2: Can you hear me perfectly?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay, I just wanted to let you know I Dave representative the city along with one of my other friends name was tom Golden. Now he's gone.
Speaker 8: It's at the manager's office. And we really really miss the representation that David and Tommy both both gave us while they were while they were here, and I want to I just want to thank you Dave and and and when you say that you've come full circle, I just hope that there's another running in office for yeah, because we really need you back. Buddy.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Raymond, thanks for those kind words. And while Tommy's a dear friend and he's the city manager now up here doing a terrific job, and and we enjoyed our time together, and what we both tried to do together was do what was best for the city of Lowell in our district. So thank you, Raymond, and hey, you never know, you never know what the hold. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I think that the response he gets tonight, if it's similar to what you have to say, and Dennis has to say, uh, it might, it might plan to see it in his mind. You just never know. And I also think that uh that did we Americans and people love a comeback story. They love the guy that is injured on the field of play and maybe has to, you know, get an operation on his a picture with who has Tommy John surgery and that guy's able to come back. People recognize and respect perseverance, so I'm not I wouldn't be surprised either. Raymond, thank you so much for your call and your support for for Dave.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Have a great night. Good Let me get one more in here before the break. I'm going to go to Burlington nearby. Dan is in Burlington, Daniel, next time, nic side will get you in here before the break, right ahead? Dan?
Speaker 4: All right? Thanks because I don't have much to say, but I have some concerns and you've been down the road, so maybe you can address it. Dave. This whole fan duel and lottery on your phone. They just it just made it so easy now and maybe that doesn't matter. You know, back in my day you had to get down to the gas station and see the bookie. But correct do you. I don't know how to word it, but is anybody lobbying against this stuff? Or how do you feel about it being so easy now?
Speaker 3: Well? I think, let's face it, the gambling is here to stay. There's no doubt about it. That can change things in the revenue that comes in from it. All the states enjoy that and it goes to different things. So what I'd like to do is what we call a like a better approach is the public health model responsible doing. And that's what like a Senator John Keenan and a Representative Carol Fiola and a Representative Adam Scanlan all have different bills to make it more responsible and help the individuals. Maybe what I'd like to say is before they suffer a substantial hob okay, the public health model, I guess the analogy to that would be it's better to put a godrail at the top of a cliff than the station an ambulance in the valley. And that's what we need to do we need to put some precautions there godrail so to speak, that can maybe educate individuals early on as the dangers of what's going on. And you are correct, it's all over the place, but it's here to stay. So I just think we need to do a better job at educating people about it, particularly the kids, and going forward and doing what we can to help someone before they suffer substantial harm.
Speaker 2: I think the analogy to package stores. I mean, there was a period one hundred years ago when we would have been I think it would have was prohibition was in effect here in Massachusetts and the public had a thirst, if you will, pardon the pun for alcohol. And alcohol is now legal, and there are people who who over indulge in and but I don't think that it's going to alcohol is going to be eliminated anytime soon in our society, and I don't think gambling is going to be eliminated in our society either. As a matter of fact, we now have pot shops available, and they're talking about some of the psychedelic drugs mushrooms. That's probably gonna be the next item on the on the agenda, And I think we need to be as David, suggesting and proactive as opposed to reactive and anticipate problems and have things in place to help people who either over indulge or get lost in a dream that probably is is is not reality anyway, if if you get the drift up trying to a point of trying to make Dan, you raise great, great questions. Thank you, Dan, I appreciate it your call.
Speaker 4: Thank you, good night.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna take quick break six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six, seven, nine, three, ten thirty. I can get a couple more calls in feel free coming right back on the night side. My guests former Massachusetts state Representative David Nagel and David, I think you would have been speaker. I don't know what the inside process is up there, but you know you were forty or so years into your uh, your time in politics. You are the assistant majority leader. Heyt But go to that quick break.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, but I never saw that in the future. But I do want to say that the men and women that servant on Beacon Hill, that I served with, that served today, they are good people. They genuinely uh. And when I went back in there a month ago. You know, I didn't know what the reception was going to be. I had a relative with me, and it was just overwhelming. I mean from staff members coming up to me in the hallway and former members knowing I was in the building and embracing me and showing the love and support. They are wonderful, wonderful individuals that serve as state reps and state senators.
Speaker 2: All right, on that positive note, we'll take a quick break right back on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. You're listening to former state represented David n Angele coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on w B Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're running out of time, but we have a bunch of let's try to get someone in as in as man has been as possible, as quickly as possible. Eleanor in drake it Eleanor. You're next with Wloma State Representative David nangle Go righthead, Eleanor.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dan, great show. Dave. A quick question before my comment. Seems like you were in prison for a long time when you compare it to other things people are doing. But when you get out, you want probation or parole or anything too.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was. I was on house arrest for six months, which carried me into that November of twenty two, and then I was on probation until November of twenty four. Yes, I was wow a long time. It was a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I gave you a lot of excuse me, a lot of credit us speaking out about this. I'm sure it's not easy. And you know when you say that kids twelve and thirteen years old are doing it, then you can see that's pretty scary. As Dan says, responsible betting is one thing, but when it leads to an ad that that's a real problem. So thanks for all that you're doing to help people.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you very much. A great call, appreciated a whole lot.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Let me get down to the cape. Down the Cape Ted is in Harwich. You can drop Ellen's call for me there, please, Rob, I don't want to combine. Here we go, Let's go to Ted and Harwich Ted a little tight on time.
Speaker 9: Go right ahead, Hi Dan, Hey, this is a terrific topic. Thank you very much for bringing this to everybody's attention. Mister Nangel. I have nothing but respect for you, everything that you went through to be willing to come on the radio and explain this to people, and you know, try to help other people. I want to thank you for that. I have a question. A friend of mine down here teachers in high school. He's been telling me lately that it's not uncommon for kids to be sitting in class or in study halls on there iPhone. Now you know, I've got them on their lapp, but they're on their iPhone betting on sports events all over the world in the middle of the school day. You know how big a problem is it, and and you know what can be done about that? And if it's all right with you, Dan, I'll hang up and listen to the.
Speaker 3: K Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I've spoken to high school principles. I've spoken to Chris Heron. You might recognize his name, Dan, who goes.
Speaker 2: I've had Chris and the show from an NBA player.
Speaker 3: I've met with him and about a year and a half ago I met with him and he said, when he goes into these schools now to talk about substance abuse the principles, the head masses are grabbing him and saying, you're not going to believe this. I got freshman sophomore juniors and so forth, all on their phones all day long, betting pong and China whatever is going on across the world. It's crazy. So to answer that question, tich, I don't have the answers by Senator Keenan. If we get something there where we can educate these kids, that's the biggest thing. Education is the biggest component. I think the Attorney General Campbell is putting together a curriculum with the mass console and gaming and health, and they're going to start going into these high schools freshman years and start talking to the kids and explain it to them. What can happen?
Speaker 7: Don It's great.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Chris Herron wrote the book Basketball Junkie. I had this in studio. It's got to be now fifteen years ago. What a fabulous recovery Chris Herron has made. Unbelievable. Let me get at least one more in here. We take him in order, Tom and Melrose. Tom, Tom, you are next on night Side with State Representative David Nangle. Right ahead, form of state Representative, Go ahead, Tom.
Speaker 10: Hey, thanks so much for taking my call. Hey, Dave, I just wanted to say I know, you know, I know Dave and I know the great work that he did in the state legislature for a number of years, and and I you know, I know what he's been through, and I have nothing but the ultimate respect for how he's giving back to his community. He always did give to his community, and now he's expanding that a little bit throughout the Commonwealth. So Dave, I give you great kudos for that.
Speaker 3: I missed the beginning of this, Dan, is this how Tom is it? It is Tom terrific, a great guy, and I thank you for that, Tom, And then I got cut off a thirty seconds, But I have to be transparent about it. Tom worked with me in a group for a number of years and Tom was is a great person and he saw a day in and day out what we did on a regular basis helping constituents. And Tom has been a supportive, good friend. And I thank you and I'm going to continue doing the good work Tom as I go forward. And thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 10: Oh absolutely, I know what daves. Every time you know constitionent called Dave was the first person there, So you know that's a that's testament to your days. And thanks so much for giving this this really informative program before.
Speaker 2: All right, I appreciate thank you more in here real quickly. Thanks Tom, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you Tom.
Speaker 2: Rachel. I got about twenty seconds. You called late, say something and then we'll bid you ado. Go right ahead, and if Rachel's not there, no problem, Rachel, hie. Rachel, I got fifteen seconds, go.
Speaker 5: Ahead, okay, fifteen seconds one.
Speaker 11: I am so proud of you for what you've come through. My question is when you were in the realms of your addiction and you were a powerful man, did anybody in your family try to convince you to try to get help and you didn't because of your position?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I think he said that he hid it from the family. Rachel. Unfortunately, fifteen seconds says long since a lap, So I got to let you go. But David, am I correct? You hit it from your family pretty well?
Speaker 3: Yes, I did, absolutely, I did it, and I did that all of myself. I was the victim. I hurt myself. I embarrassed my family, but I hurt myself and Dan. I know what cut time. But if I can just finish with this, thank you, I want to let people out there know who have an alcohol issue or substance abuse issue or gambling issue, whatever it may be, whatever that addiction is, that there is hope and there are resources and they can help you. And I am proof of that. I'm living proof of that and going forward. If I can help one individual and I feel I'm doing something good with the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. If Rob has your cell phone number, stay in the line, make sure he has it, and if anyone wants to contact you directly, Rob will make that cell phone number available. We'll have the lines open for the next few minutes. We're going to go to the car, guys, right after the ten o'clock news, Dave and Angle a profile and courage, real courage. Thank you so much. You should get a nomination for that for the Kennedy Library.
Speaker 3: Thank you for allowing me on tonight. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: We'll be back right after the ten o'clock news. And make sure Robbie get his number up. Okay, there it goes. Talk to you later, guys. Okay, we'll be back right after the ten