Speaker 1: This is Later with Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast. More what You Hear Weekday Afternoon is on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Her parents were Hollywood insiders, Peter Bogdanovich and Polly Platt. She started out in journalism but soon could no longer ignore the call of her genetic legacy and became a director in her own right, and re released the director's cut of Sleep No More, which is out now. Antonio Bogdanovic, Welcome. The story of this film is an involved one, isn't it Yes.
Speaker 3: And it's definitely inspired from my own childhood. It's a story about two brothers and their father is an expats in the UK, and he was a great actor, a great Shakespearean actor at some point in his life. Right now he's a degenerate gambler, and he's put both his kids in a very precarious position. They have to basically pickpocket and steal so they could put food on the plate, pay the rent once in a while, and feed their fathers drinking and gambling addiction.
Speaker 2: I keep reading comparisons to the Shakespearean tragedy about Sleep No More, but it looks and sounds more to me along the lines of Dickens something Dickensonian.
Speaker 3: It definitely is. And I love Dickens and I related to him. Look my friends in high school. I was definitely a troubled kid. I didn't have an idyllic childhood by any means. You can read a lot about that on the internet. There was ups and downs, there was divorce of murders. So I decided I liked the other side of the tracks. I was like, I relate more to these kids. So my kids were my friends were surfers and skaters in Santa Monica. They were petty criminals and burglars, and so I got a first time look at that. My house was robbed. I had the nicest house, you know, my mother had a great house in the nice area of Santa Monica. And you know, my friends decided to drop my house and I didn't find out for a year. So it's about that lack of trust with criminals. It's like, oh, well, wait a minute. I thought it was cool when you were feeling other in other people's homes. Not that I participated that. I did not participate, but I thought it was cool and edgy at the time. But when you are a victim of crime, it's a really different It's like it was. It was gut wrenching because these were my close friends. Two of them, my boyfriend and his best friend who happened to be a mutual friend. I knew my best friend long before I had met the boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Sleep No More is the film, and the director is Peter Bogdanovitch's daughter and Polly Plant's daughter. Antonio Bogdanovitch is with us, and so you can see that in that these two brothers soon don't don't trust each other.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and they're also parenting each other, this idea of like there's no parent here. Sometimes you know, Becket's telling him what to do and like you just got to keep going and we get through this and we don't need to go anywhere, and Samuel is like, we're stuck in the MUDs. We got to get out of here. And then at one point, you know, when Beckett becomes trying to do some higher level criminality, you know, by being a counterfeitter, he's like, he thought, of Bentley, we need groceries. You know. So it's this idea of them parent each other and also being on different sides, like what are you doing, Like you're going to get us in more trouble than we're already in, and you're.
Speaker 2: Going to see some familiar faces. Rebecca Romjen is in it. Also Thomas Brodie Sangster. He's all grown up since his role in Love. Actually, Ashley Hamilton's son of George Hamilton, is in at Sleep No More is the film and Antonio Bogdanovic is is the director. It's the director's cut that's in re release right now and out everywhere you get your movies. What if there is a number one thing that you learned about the film industry from your day?
Speaker 3: Oh boss, never give up, Never give up, no matter how many no's you get. Because that was my first film, I have been working really hard on various projects and various scripts son that I wrote, some that I didn't write, to make my next film, and it's been hard. It's been very difficult for various reasons. Timing. There's many times that I wanted to quit and my father said, don't give up, and really sticking with it. I have seen progress as below as it.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to say, Antonio bogdanovic Just the other day they re ran Paper Moon on Turner Classic movies It is one of my favorites of your father's, not only because of the imagery, not only because of the great acting and the great story. But he was very careful, and I'm an old radio guy, he was very careful to make sure to include the importance of radio in that story. You always hear a radio on in the background. They're always listening to the radio or arguing about something that is going on in the radio.
Speaker 3: Uh well, let me tell you something. I think the radio is key in that movie. That's so interesting you brought that up. And I love the radio. I listen to the radio to this day, every day, every morning, and I've done it since I was probably a teenager, even in my own room. You know, we had those you know, those high fives and you can into the radio. My father listened to the radio growing up, and I feel like, honestly, and he loved the radio. And so it gives me a source of my imagination because if I'm just listening to something, I have to imagine, you know, what they're talking about, or them in the studio, like, you know, I'm not in that world, so I kind of, you know, I think it's so cool because I've never even I think I've been to a few radio stations. Yeah, I really appreciate that part of it. And you really you have a window in stained character when she's sitting there listening to radio and you know her wife Peter looking a cigarette. It's I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Well that's what he taught me.
Speaker 3: He used that movie. He used that movie when when before I directed my first short film, I said, Dad, can you give me some pointer. It's not that he had in my whole life, but I wanted some specificity. And he went through every lens and every shot, and I wrote it down. I still have those two pieces of paper, and he used paper moons and the reasons why he shot the framing and why he shot this way and that way, in various things to teach me the basics of filmmaking.
Speaker 2: Well, it was all about the details. And whoever said the devil is in the details is dead wrong. That's where God is. God is in the details, as far as I'm concerned. And I too, was attracted to radio because of the storytelling aspect of it. I listened to radio drama and there was an old one on CBS back in the day. It was a mystery theater. They ran late at night on the CBS radio network, and I was about five listening to that, and my imagination was inspired. Later when I started reading it started helping me become a better reader, to try to picture it like I was presenting a radio show. So again, I think it all comes down to those details, and I look forward to the details in Sleep No More Director's cut out Now, I thank you for joining us, Antonio Bandanovich, thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much for having me. I really enjoyed speaking with you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven. And iHeartMedia presentation.