Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI Handle Here.
Speaker 2: It is a Tuesday morning, the twelfth day of November to Taco Tuesday coming up this Saturday, November sixteenth, Join me at the La Lawyers Philharmonic and Legal Voices concert. They do this every year at Barnhum Hall in Santa Monica.
Speaker 1: And it's the lawyers, Judges, etc.
Speaker 2: It's an orchestra made up of legal people that aren't suing you, and it's a terrific orchestra. Classical music, movie, classics, contemporary music. I think they're doing Beauty and the Beasts some stuff from there. So it's gonna be a lot of fun. And just go to La Lawyers phil as In Philharmonic La lawyersphil dot Org. Tickets are like twenty to ninety dollars and half of that is deductible, so's you'll have a great time, it really is. And I'll be there and I'll be wearing the loud Hawaiian shirt so you can track me down maybe.
Speaker 3: Is it is it true that they carry their instruments in their own hand and they have no cases?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Well, but they do all wear suits, so that's very good on both sides.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: And they do it in their underwear because they like to, you know, deal with briefs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can do this for a while. Why don't we not? We probably can, Yeah, that's probably true. This is why Neil's part of this show. Now.
Speaker 2: Friday night, there was a meeting that sort of slipped through the cracks, I guess after the reaction to the Trump election, and the California Air Resources Board approved major changes to the low Carbon Fuel Standard. Basically, it's a program aimed at encouraging use of cleaner fuels with financial incentives. So the board voted twelve to two, seven hours of comments, one hundred people, four hours of discussion.
Speaker 1: And here is the heart of the controversy.
Speaker 2: How do you wean Californians off gasoline and diesel? Because in order to clear the states or clean the state's dirty air and reducing the state's role in climate crisis, how do you do that without raising.
Speaker 1: The cost to consumers.
Speaker 2: Well, they've tried, they've tried, and the reason they're really pushing hard is that the board made this an emergency.
Speaker 1: Issue to push for cleaner fuels.
Speaker 2: Why, because we had an election on Tuesday, which Donald Trump has denied the existence of climate change and have targeted California environmental programs. And I told you California is going to get into a war almost immediately with Trump. And here's the problem with this new program. The potential effects.
Speaker 1: On our fuel prices are unknown. We have no idea.
Speaker 2: The board itself a few months ago said our fuel prices are going to increase forty nine cents a gallon by next year.
Speaker 1: And the pushback was so.
Speaker 2: Hard to go no, no, no, that was we weren't predicting that. We're saying that it could under very broad circumstances.
Speaker 1: Now here's a really weird one. Who's against it? Who's for it? Now? This is to reduce screenhouse gases.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Environmentals and environmentalists.
Speaker 2: And consumer advocates oppose the rules, warning that the changes will boost alternative fuels.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with that? Like biofuels, And here is the problem.
Speaker 2: Biofuels made from commonre soybeans, they say have limited upsides. And part of this is oil companies are allowed to stay in business because they can buy credits. Because it expanded the credits, we'll go ahead and produce crap fuels that pollute the environment, and to the extent that we can, we'll buy the credits from biofuels. And what's happening is the consumers are saying, or the environment is saying, that doesn't do anything. If you really want to clean up the environment, you clean up the environment. So who is in favor of this new bill the electric car folks and the biofuel companies saying that it's going to provide billions of dollars in funds and incentives to move California towards eliminating carbon fuels. Okay, now we had there's a lot of kosher controversies about this program. It's been around since twenty eleven, and it's a credit system, and it requires fuels in California to be progressively cleaner. I mean, we have that summer blend and it's getting worse and worse. It used to be that California was fifty cents a gallon more than other states, and that wasn't that long ago. Today it's a dollar fifty more than other states per gallon, and it's gonna get worse. Why because the other states, particularly under Trump, are going to move as quickly as possible, particularly the southern states, particularly those that are conservative, to get rid of virtually every environmental environmental control because there is a president now that doesn't believe in climate change.
Speaker 1: It doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna love it because you've got people in Louisiana, for example, they're going to be flooded out for the fourth time this year, and they're going to stand up and go, Nope, not a problem. Or people in the wildfire areas that can't get insurance, they can't get home insurance. No, no, not a problem. There is no climate change there. I don't buy it. Okay, hurricanes, how about that forest fire in New York? Whoever heard of a forest fire on the other side of the Hudson whoever heard that? And I mean it's an out of control forest fire because of the drought that's going on in the Northeast. I mean, it's just it's going to be very, very weird. But this happened. They passed it on Friday and just went right through the cracks.
Speaker 1: And this is going to affect us.
Speaker 2: I mean, can you imagine waking up sometime next year in its fifty cents a gallon more for gas?
Speaker 1: Because we don't pay enough for gas.
Speaker 2: Actually, in the world of Donald Trump, we don't pay enough for gas.
Speaker 1: California should pay a lot more for gas.
Speaker 2: It's not only is it going to be a fascinating presidency. As I told you, they're going to be major, major changes in the way we live. But part of the fascination is the all outright battle between our state and the Feds. And it's going to be a lot of fodder for us, that's for sure. Okay, if you ever have kids go to college, and I have, there are two days during their first year which is always kind of interesting. Day one is putting the kids into the dorms right setting them up, and every parent does that.
Speaker 1: You go there, you go to Ikea and you.
Speaker 2: Buy the crap or target and the kids go in, set up the bedding, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: The next time out is and this goes on.
Speaker 2: Every years parent day at school. Now Parent Day is a real party and people get plastered. And who gets plastered more than the kids? The parents get plastered more than the kids. That's the new normal where you have these high jinks at fraternities, hijinks like killing kids during you know, their first weeks in the fraternity, their pledge weeks. This is where the parents come out and what do they do well? Their tours around campus send there are lectures and everybody has a good time. And of course football game, right that's where they normally do it. But it's a home game and it's against the rivals, and parents fly from all over the country. So there's a story out of the Wall Street Journal about this woman, Melissa de Leon, University of Arizona. So she goes out there at the university and she talks about what her parents did at the University of Missouri. They came for lunch, they went to the football game, and then they left.
Speaker 1: Okay, Nicole beat again.
Speaker 2: This story has twins that are Junior's, University of Michigan and University of Wisconsin. Who's gone to a bunch of these things and says the new normal is now parents are drinking and dancing and having a rip roaring good time. For example, University of Michigan Parents weekend in September. The football game started at noon, the drinking started at eight thirty in the morning.
Speaker 1: The parents were real happy.
Speaker 2: Didn't know who won that game, by the way, but either real happy or really sad by the way.
Speaker 1: She does not like this.
Speaker 2: De Leone does not like the cheap beer, so she takes many bottles of Tito's vodka and stuffs it into her fannic pack and then drinks like crazy in the morning. So by the time she gets to the game, which of course they search for bottles of booze, she's already having a good time.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't even matter with a cheap beer, she says.
Speaker 2: The frat houses are disgusting, but you make the best of it. A giant tent is set up overlooking the lake. There's the University of Michigan. We're dancing, we're hanging out with kids, we're pregaming, and we're just having the time of our lives.
Speaker 1: There's a one story.
Speaker 2: Of a senior at usc alyssa broad She went on TikTok and saw a post of her dad downing jello shots at ten am in the morning and then dancing around. Now you know, first of all, I'm not a drinker, as you know, so I don't hang around those crowds. But it seems to be that we have sort of switched over where you have these staid parents.
Speaker 1: But there is when you think.
Speaker 2: About it, it's a time in your life. And I did this with my daughter University of San Francisco or San Francisco University, when she went to school and.
Speaker 1: There, and it's a Jesuit school, by the way.
Speaker 2: So the drinks, I mean, they offer drinks, little tiny cups of wine and some wafers and that was all they offered.
Speaker 1: It was very, very boring.
Speaker 2: And then there was a lot of discussion in parties and there was a lot of stuff about Jesus.
Speaker 1: Why I sent my Jewish daughter to that.
Speaker 2: School is she happened to be a good student and they gave her a scholarship. They gave her a Merit scholarship. And by the way, just a quick story, and that is she got a Merit scholarship.
Speaker 1: And I went to the school and I said.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, I mean appreciate that she got a scholarship, but tell you what, you know what I can afford it.
Speaker 1: We put the money away for her college education.
Speaker 2: I started a college fund when the girls were born, and it's fully funded now because I put money in every month for the last eighteen years. So why don't you take the money and give it part of the scholarship fund and give it to some kid who can't afford the school.
Speaker 1: And it's a private university. And they said no.
Speaker 2: Now, our program is if you have a merit scholarship, you have to accept the scholarship. Otherwise your daughter is not accepted in I said, wait a minute, hang on, hang on. You're telling me that you are not going to accept her unless she takes the scholarship.
Speaker 1: And they said, yep, wow, that is so weird.
Speaker 2: It's like at the synagogue where my girls were bought mitzvad or banot Mitzvad. They asked for a big donation, and do you want a room named after you?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't. I'm not a building or anything, but a room. You want a room?
Speaker 2: And I said, the only thing I want is I want the urinals in the men's bathroom, just with this urinal.
Speaker 1: Is not a product of but this urinoal was.
Speaker 2: Donated by you buy yeah, donated by the Handle Family Trust.
Speaker 1: That's all I wanted. So therefore, you can sell off the room name, you can do whatever.
Speaker 2: I just want the urinals, you know that little plaque over each urinal. And they said no, and I said, a minute, what if I say, either I get the urino mention or you don't get the money. They stood by their ground, so I paid them anyway. Now on the other side of the coin, just a little anecdotal story. A very very very dear friend of mine whose daughter is a doctor, and she, when she was in med school, would do volunteering. And she was in I don't know, insert name of Central American country here, and she was working at a little village as a volunteer, and they didn't even have bathrooms there.
Speaker 1: So she said, would.
Speaker 2: You donate money to put in these various they're actually outdoor toilets, but very sophisticated outdoor toilets, chemicals and doors and locks and I mean all of that. Basically, they were toilets, the communal toilets that had all the technology of a assesspool toilet, that sort of thing, a leeching toilet, and say, would you know, donate and give us some money for one? I go, sure, But the only requirement is my name over the door. This toilet courtesy of Bill Handle. You go down there and you have to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: You know you're gonna see that's right. I don't know why I went off on that tangent.
Speaker 2: Oh, parents and school and donations and all that stuff. Okay, a quick story I want to share with you about sales meetings and long lunches. Now we know they have faded in the past, or they were part of the past, but that process has speeded up a new generation of executives basically reimagining how business is going to get done. They're hyper connected, they're digitally savvy twenties and thirty somethings. They don't make many sales calls, They avoid emails, they don't pick up the phone.
Speaker 1: How do they connect LinkedIn and then follow up with a text?
Speaker 2: If they go to a party, they're ordering mocktails, non alcoholic beer when they're out with older clients. One of them, the co founder of supercopy dot Ai, a AI marketing startup, said I'll order the lightest possible logger, let.
Speaker 1: Them drink the whiskey. So what's going on with this? Well, there's a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of reasons why this is happening, including increased competition, the pandemic employee turnover. Decision makers are now a lot more of them. The old ways of doing business just aren't there anymore. First of all companies have clamped down on quote, excessive spending and entertaining. They just don't do that anymore. And how often do we take clients for lunch?
Speaker 1: Occasionally, but not like we used to.
Speaker 2: The biggest change in the word culture is simply the rise of technology and the generation that comes with the rise of technology. And here is the fun part, and that is and this is I think this is a good rule.
Speaker 1: The bar for selling is so much higher than it used to be.
Speaker 2: And according to the chief revenue officer for one of these internet.
Speaker 1: Companies says that a lot of these party tricks.
Speaker 2: Don't really work anymore, and he sells technology to small restaurants. You can't just wine and dine and buddy up to someone and expect a result. You have to be able to demonstrate competence as a seller, because your selling experience is indicative of what your company.
Speaker 1: Is doing and the support that it's going to give. In other words, the.
Speaker 2: Professionality of sales is extraordinary. Why it's very difficult to get salespeople into good positions without a lot of experience. There isn't a lot of there aren't too many backbenches, or there is not too too many of these training programs. They are just to expend. They want people to know what they're doing. Okay, fair enough, So now it's going that way. But here's the problem with it. With the Internet, which makes it far easier to contact people, how do you get through the clutter? That's the problem. Let's say you're a buyer, right, and you've just bought a case of pencils from company A, and that information is now out there with a good algorithm AI, everybody who sells.
Speaker 1: Pencils, who distributes pencils, who does.
Speaker 2: Office supplies, who thinks about selling pencils and doing a startup about selling pencils, knows that you've just bought pencils, and all of a sudden you get three thousand emails.
Speaker 1: Pitching you for pencils. So you know what's going on.
Speaker 2: The professionality is staying there. A lot of people are going back to figuring out and networking. Of course, is everything going almost back to the old days where it's one on one, where they're going back to meetings. And in radio, for example, radio sales programming, it used to be where you'd have not program directors per se. Well, you'd have program directors, but you would have promoters going to the radio stations to.
Speaker 1: Promote songs, or.
Speaker 2: Promote albums, or to promote product done by the people on their label.
Speaker 1: And there were very unsavory things going on. And then the Internet and.
Speaker 2: Algorithms took care of all of that. So you know what's happening in radio, And I see this every day. We're going back to old school bags of cash and files of cocaine because that worked then and then it stopped working. And now, I mean, Neil, you've seen the bags going around and people sniffing, sniffling all down, up and down the halls.
Speaker 3: No, when I got into radio in the late eighties, a lot of that stuff had already gone away.
Speaker 1: But they did have the you know, four martini lunches.
Speaker 3: I remember those.
Speaker 1: I do too, You could have a lunch.
Speaker 2: We'd have sales managers go out and spend three hours to pitch a client and come back with an eleven dollars bill. Oh absolutely, we see that all the time. And boy are those days gone. Those days are gone. I don't even think that salespeople even have expense accounts anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't think it exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I've been asked, Bill, would you please go out to lunch with this client or prospective client. I go, yeah, all right, you know, I mean, I'll take the time. It's an important client, and I appreciate the support, and it had been wonderful with us. And then I'm told and by the way, you're picking up lunch, what welcome to iHeart. I'm telling you, vials of cocaine and bags full of money are gonna do it once again.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go back to the old days, old school works. Okay.
Speaker 2: Interesting story about San Francisco forty nine er Stars star Nick Bosa October twenty seven.
Speaker 1: He crashes a televised.
Speaker 2: Postgame interview to show off his Make America Great hat again hat clear violation of the NFL rules, No issue. Now, how does Pro football deal with this? Does the league penalize a player days before the election, risking potential backlash from fans and even more importantly, former president soon to be president elect Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: So what did the NFL do?
Speaker 2: Well, as teams who are thirty five yards out or thirty yards out and they're on their fourth down, they punted, That's what they did. And they waited until the election had come and gone, and then they find Bosa and fifty five dollars over this past weekend. So here's it's fascinating. The timing of what Bosa di is places the league in a real thorny situation because any punishment could have been perceived as a statement against Trump.
Speaker 1: He's wearing the MAGA hat. If you look at history, it didn't.
Speaker 2: Take long for the NFL to issue fines for similar violations.
Speaker 1: I mean, right, and.
Speaker 2: There Rule five, Section four, Article eight on game days when players are visible prohibited from wearing, displaying, otherwise conveying personal messages, either in writing or illustration. Well, I mean Bosa clearly knew he breached that one. I mean he wore that cap. Matter of fact, he pointed to the cap and even before the final was issued, he knew it was going to hit and he said, doesn't matter what it is, it was well worth it. I'm wearing the hat. Took two weeks for the NFL to issue the punishment. They were going to wait till after the election. When it came to finding Vosa, the NFL faced a real different calculation. How would any punishment be interpreted? Because you don't only get on the wrong side of Donald Trump. He hasn't been exactly shy about attacking the NFL and the players to rile up his supporters. Colon Kaepernack read that Trump went crazy on that one, as did most of us, by the way, or a lot of us did. I wasn't thrilled about a political demonstration. There He's on his knee to protest about police brutality. Hey, you don't do that on the field. Now, he wasn't fined, he wasn't kicked out, but he was done. He leaves the league, no one hires him, completely blackballed. So here's what happened. What Trump did is he ripped into that move is unpatriotic and criticized the league because they didn't fire Kaepernac right there or issue a huge fine. Because at one point players across the league knelt down in rebuke of Trump, and then here he had the sport battling the president. Even NFL owners privately said that Trump's pressure influenced their handling. So interesting stuff. The power that President Trump, as candidate Trump had and now we'll have his president is astounding, is simply astounding.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're done, guys for the morning.
Speaker 2: Phone numbers eight hundred or excuse me, eight seven seven five to zero eleven fifty.
Speaker 1: I am taking phone calls starting in just a few moments off the for handle on the law marginal legal advice.
Speaker 2: If you have a question, I will answer it the numbers eight seven seven five to zero eleven fifty eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty. And you're not gonna be waiting on the phone very long because no commercials, no breaks, as I always say, no weather, no traffic, no patience. All right, tomorrow morning, all over again with Amy wake up call from five to six, Neil and I come aboard, and all three of us then do the rest of the show until nine. And an obligatory thank you to Cono is pointing to himself saying, hey, hey, what do I look like?
Speaker 1: Chop Liver. An obligatory thank you to.
Speaker 2: Chop Liver, con O and ann our producer Extraordinaire KF I Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.