Speaker 1: Good Monday morning. It is Kentucky and is Morning News Coffee and Company here on a Monday morning, six o'clock, six oh five, to be exact. And if you are somebody that is that is wondering, is this heat ever gonna go away? Eventually? But not not anytime super soon, because the heat wave is here and it's it's gross outside. In fact, today's one of those days where and really today, tomorrow and Wednesday, I feel like if you don't have to walk outside, don't. I don't know how many people can can actually not leave their house at all, and that would be I mean I wouldn't. That wouldn't be enjoyable. I would get I'd get a little stir crazy. But maybe walking out for five seconds would make me realize, yeah, I'm going to go back inside where it's not you know, disgusting outside, which that's that's exactly what it is. But again, it is Kentucky and it's Morning News Coffee and Company, Nit coffee, that's me. John Alden is back after a nice staycation. Certainly happy to have him back. I mean the heat right now, We've got a high of ninety four today, and the heat in decks could get up to one hundred and six this afternoon, and then tomorrow and Wednesday even hotter, with high is expected to be around ninety six. And of course the heat in deck's going to be brutal just as well. So we've got a few isolated downpours. I guess that could happen today and maybe that'll briefly cool some things off, but I don't know, maybe not. But the relief that is in sight is later this week as a cold front, which, by the way, give us like eighty nine and that would be considered a cold front, right. But yes, later this week we're going to have temperatures in the eighties and most importantly, we will have lower humidity. So again, be prepared because it's disgusting outside. Have you had any moment is there anything that stands out to you, John when you think of like the hottest you've ever been? And I don't mean just like because you were outside for six straight hours, but just like a moment that sticks with you where you think, Okay, this may in fact be the hottest that I've ever the hottest temperatures I've ever been in my life.
Speaker 2: The first thing that comes to mind for me is back when I was in high school, we'd have summer soccer training of course this time of year, and whenever you're getting in shape for the upcoming season, there is nothing worse. I mean, you feel good whenever you start all the running and you know, you get that runners high, that sort of thing. But whenever you you initially feel that sweat and you're not quite in shape yet, that is some of the worst.
Speaker 1: And it's and it's I mean to me, what really could take that type of situation right getting ready for soccer with conditioning, what could make I mean, it's hard work anyway, but the humidity is just a game changer. It makes it even it makes it even worse. So yeah, I can't For me, I just remember, I remember, and I always go back to that the time when I didn't have air conditioning in my car. That just to me, every hot summer day was the same and it was brutal. But uh, I mean, right now, we're not going to get there. I don't think as far as just like record breaking heat. But I did a little bit of a of a look as far as just history as far as the hot the worst heat waves we've had in Louisville history, and the worst of them came in like the thirties. There was one that was remembered for quite I mean this was in thirty six. Obviously think about this. Life was a lot different. But that year, not just in Louisville, but nationally, there were about five thousand people that were killed because of a heat wave. And again that was nineteen thirty six. We're talking about roughly one hundred years ago. But in the summer of eighty that was a real struggle with the heat here in Louisville. And then I don't remember this, but this is somewhat recent. In twenty twenty two got it got up to one hundred and ten degrees in Louisville, which that to me sounds like we'd remember that. But look, it wouldn't be on the internet if it wasn't true.
Speaker 2: Right, these temperatures, it always makes me wonder when people say they're excited for summer, like, I know, you're not excited for the humidity.
Speaker 3: There's no way that people enjoy this in any way, shape and.
Speaker 1: But thank you, because I hear people, and yes I complain more about weather in humidity than the average Probably I don't know, because I'm just real big on being comfortable, and you know, comfort control is something that we do, actually a lot of us have access to, so I'm gonna utilize it. What I mean by that is I could control being cool in the summer by being indoors in ac and I can control being warm in the winter when it's cold outside. So when I don't have that, it just I get, you know, I get, I get moody. But when I'm met with, oh, this is great, I mean.
Speaker 3: No, you're a liar. I don't believe you. I never will that you enjoy what is? What is?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you enjoy basically being you know, a crouton and a bowl of soup? Like that's what this is. It's just thick, it's gross, and look, it could be it could be worse.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: In fact, we'll talk about that coming up on the other side, because in the Midwest they're dealing with something that I did not realize was a thing, and it's called corn sweat. And I'll explain what corn sweat is coming up here in just a few minutes. But yes, others can deal with it better than me. Certainly, I know that, And I'm sure what maybe keeps you optimistic and feeling good about this weather is because maybe you hate winners so much that you can think to yourself, well, at least it's not five degrees outside. So everybody's got their own preferences. But I'm calling you a liar if you're out and about in this heat wave over these next few days and you say, you say, oh, this is great, this is beautiful. No it's not. It's disgusting. And I mean, I don't know how you can be outside for a brief amount of time in this heat and not have swamp ass. I mean it's swamp ass season in full effect.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 1: Just be mindful out there, be advised. All right, we got an update of traving a weather coming your way. I don't know if Matt Mellosa is going to include swamp ass in the forecast, but if he doesn't, just know I'm doing it for him because he's professional, unlike me. We've got to also check on traffic. I didn't get the chance to see it, but it looks as if there's some delays already to get us started here on a Monday, so typical Monday, right, But again, you'll get an update on traving a weather and we'll talk about corn swa on the other side right here on news radio eight forty w h AS. I'll be honest with you, I'd never heard of corn sweat, but apparently it is. It is a real thing, and it is intensifying the Midwest heat wave. So think think states like Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. They're they're going through a heat wave right now. Because it's it's not just I mean, it's everywhere. It spans from the heat advisory spans from Texas to Maine. So that's just that's that's that's what happens in the summer sometimes.
Speaker 3: But corn sweat, John, have you ever heard of corn sweat? I've not heard of that.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a Hoosier, so if you haven't heard of it, I don't feel as bad. But it's he doesn't live in Indiana, but he's in Indiana, Hoosier, he's a Indiana fans.
Speaker 3: So just just to clarify.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to corn sweat, it's the nickname for evappo transpiration. It's the process where plants pull water from the soil and release it into the air, increasing local humidity. So it says the corn is extremely efficient at release releasing moisture. An acre of corn can release three to four thousand gallons of water per day into the atmosphere, especially after rain. So they're dealing with humidity based off of the corn that makes it even worse than typical humidity, which really sucks overall. Which here's a story. This is from I believe, Yeah, this is from w A n D News giving a little bit of an explanation that, yeah, the corn sweats are a real thing. Hot and human all week and all the corn in central Oil is sweating with you.
Speaker 4: Wnd's been Naki shares the real impact corn sweat can have on the weather. You walk outside and the sweat starts dripping down your face, and the sweat's dripping off the side of corn too. That corn sweat, it actually adds to the humidity that you're feeling every time you walk outside.
Speaker 5: And it is just a little bit of water, But when you multiply that by the leaf area, right you think about this time of the year in central Illinois, when you add all of that up, it can actually make for quite a lot of water that's being transferred from the ground to the atmosphere and the form of humidity.
Speaker 4: Trent Ford is a state climatologist with the University of Illinois. He says, while it may be annoying for us, the sweat is actually a good thing for the corn.
Speaker 5: The fact that we are getting corn sweat and the fact that it is transpiring suggests that we have, at least in most places, a pretty healthy crop out there and abundant soil moisture for that that crop to pull in that water from.
Speaker 1: So I guess it's good for the corn. But do people who live in that area. I'm sure if you are dependent upon the corn growing and you know that's part of how you you know your your farm is successful, then it makes total sense. But man, there's something just gross about the words together, corn sweat. When I think of enjoying corn, rather it be corn on the cob or corn as a sibe with dinner, I don't want to think about it sweating, But.
Speaker 3: I can think about any of my food sweat.
Speaker 2: Yeah this sounds gross in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sweat is gross in general. You are right, But yeah, food sweat. It's uh, it's so anyways, it.
Speaker 3: Could be worse, folks.
Speaker 1: We've got humidity here that sucks at a at a really high rate. But I guess it could be worse if we had, you know, And I'm sure cornsweat is a thing at certain places in Kentucky. But yeah, not something i'd heard of. But that's the kind of heat wave we're under. We'll hear about it. We'll hear different ways in which it affects people out there. So let's keep that in mind. All right, we got excuse me, we got another update of traffick and weather come in your way. Something I want to make sure we get to a little bit later on. The Happy Gilmour sequel is now out on Netflix, and I'm so scared to watch it. I'm gonna do it, but I'm scared to watch it. We talk about that. Also, US grocery prices hit record highs here in twenty twenty five, and I've got a good breakdown that I want to share with you as far as just the amount of increase we've seen with certain types of things that you get at the grocery. And I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but you may not realize just how big of a jump we've seen in prices comparatively from a five year stretch now compared to you know, five year stretches decades back.
Speaker 3: So again, stick with us.
Speaker 1: It is Kentucky and his morning news coffee and company NIT coffee with you right here on news radio waight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is six thirty five here Kentucky had his morning news coffee and company nit coffee with you here on news radio eight forty whas. We've got the full crew in the house today. John Alden back from a nice staycation and we're certainly happy to have him back. And if you are somebody that has a kid in the school system here in Jefferson County, be aware you've got you're on the clock essentially because we have what looks like a little over a week until school starts August the seventh. Next Thursday is your first day for kids back at school, and the travel situation right getting kids to school, the whole bus situation that is going to be I think the first It's one of those things. If you're the new JCPS superintendent, you you really are, I think are good. You probably haven't had any moment just yet that has hit you. And I shouldn't say that because I don't know. But dealing with the first day of school. In the previous disaster travel situations that have taken place, certainly the one that stands out more than any is twenty twenty three. I mean, that's going to be probably the first day where you are you're sitting in it and you realize, Okay, this is what I signed up for. And clearly, I mean, you don't take that position without knowing what comes with it. But doctor Yearwood is the new JCPS superintendent, Brian Yearwood, and I give him credit.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is probably what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: So it's maybe not like he's doing something that those before him didn't do, but it can only help, and that is just making sure that everybody is communicating parents, teachers, school system, all on the same page as far as just the plan. So they're launching today at nine o'clock. They're going to open up a JCPS bus hotline and you can call that.
Speaker 3: At five oo two four eighty five ride.
Speaker 1: It opens today from nine am until four pm, and they'll take any transportation related questions that you have as they're giving you again enough time here to to get your plan in place. And figure out what you know where you need to have your kid as far as the school bus number, stop location, estimated pick up and drop off time. And by the way, you can get all that information right now by just going to the bus Teller tool on the JCPS website.
Speaker 3: So parents do their part.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much that can help as far as avoiding potential disasters because you really never know, but it can hurt, right, and that is something that should be should be noted, probably more than it does, is that parents are a big I mean, if parents are complaining and just no pun intended throwing JCPS under the bus, I think now we just assume that every bit of it is just jcps's fault and they got to get it together.
Speaker 3: Look at our tax dollars going to waste. This is a joke.
Speaker 1: And certainly there's plenty of things you can point and criticize that when it comes to JCPS. But parents also play a huge role in all of it. So maybe sometimes when you hear people complain about an issue with their kid and the school bus, maybe maybe all of it is rooted from a parent not knowing when to drop a kid off, not knowing where to drop them off, that kind of stuff. So again, we only have seven days left of summer vacation for those students here in JCPS, which, by the way, I don't know if these kids deal with it now, because kids now just everything's different from the time I was a kid. But this is right around the time. And John, you can relate to this. You're younger than me, but I think this is we're relatively close enough to where you probably experienced this too. But the back to school commercials, yeah, about school supplies or clothes or.
Speaker 2: Even just going into a grocery store and seeing the school supply section, yep, would give you anxiety.
Speaker 1: Oh man, the anxiety, the fear of, oh my god, they've already got they've already they're already promoting that J. C. Penny's got a deal that mom's going to want to take advantage of to get you money uniforms for middle school. It was just the fear of, oh my god, school is in fact coming back. Summer vacation is coming to an end. And I remember, I remember that fear, but it did go away for me more often than not as I got really close to school, meaning like the day before, because I wanted to get back see all my friends. And then after the first day, I was like, yeah, that was that was fine. But yeah, now the countdown is on once again. When's winter break coming? Whin's spring break? Because you know, school is valuable in a lot of ways that doesn't even need to be said, but when it comes to just the you know the but again, maybe it's different now, right, like I think, And it just hit me that I didn't have any way of keeping up with my friends whenever I was in middle school during summer break because we didn't have me the Internet was brand new. In fact, if I kept up with anybody that I wasn't like a close friend with during summer break, it was occasionally on AOL instant messenger. Who remembers that that is that was like our way of communicating with each other when we weren't at school, but we didn't have cell phones. We didn't text or anything like that. Now, I mean, I'm I have some friends who have children that are a little bit older than mine that are in sixth grade or going into seventh grade, and they have cell phones and that's kind of the new norm now, so or they have you know, I don't know, if kids that age are on social media, they probably shouldn't be. But that was one of the what was one of the things that would have helped me deal with the sadness of summer coming to an end. Well, at least don't get to see my friends. But now I'm sure you know, with technology being what it is, you probably see your friends and talk to them much more consistently during summer break than I did back in my day. But yeah, the clock sticking. So if you don't have all the info that you need to make sure that your kid can get the school year started right again, you go to the JCPS website. They've got the bus teller tool that's there, and you just have some questions you want to talk to somebody starting at nine o'clock this morning, they've got their hotline activated.
Speaker 3: BABO two four eight five ride all right.
Speaker 1: So there's an app that I was unfamiliar with that Once again, this happens from time to time. There's there's a data breach and it's the kind of app that you probably would like to be discreet about. But unfortunately a lot of that infos now out there for people, I guess to figure out. We'll talk about it, because I now just know if certain apps are asking me to upload private documents, just like for verification, they may be on the up and up, but like if they easily get hacked, like that's I mean, if I got to do all that, I think to myself, do I really need this app? And more often than not, I don't. So we'll get to that in a lot more. Let's get let's get another check of the roadways out there. Bobby Ellis will tell us how the traffic's looking to get this week started. Also we'll get an update on the forecast from at Melosavich. It is Kentucky in his morning news Coffee and Company Nit Coffee with Can Hero on News Radio eight forty whas. So, there is an app called t Tea that apparently has has some real momentum, or at least it had some momentum. And I've only heard of it because of the data breach that took that recently happened. But yeah, it sounds like seventy two thousand private images have been leaked and this app.
Speaker 3: And John, have you heard of Tea? I guess what it is? Is it a gossiping website? Yes? I think that's fair to say. It's like saying spill the tea.
Speaker 1: It's kind of, yes, but it's specifically targeting dudes. So Tea is a dating app built to help women safely share information about men, and it just hit number one on the App Store. But now they've got a little bit, a little bit of a crisis on their hands. It's tens of thousands of personal photos have been leaked in a major hack, and it lets women rate and review men they've dated, labeling them red flag or green flag. So it went viral last week just because again, this to me seems to be a new thing. I'm not sure if other apps like this. Maybe it's similar to this Facebook group that has gone viral, and there's many different versions of them. But are we dating the same guy? Facebook groups like there's ore we Dating the same guy?
Speaker 3: New York? Are we dating the same guys? Chicago?
Speaker 1: Where like if a woman suspects that she's dating somebody that might be dating other people, they'll they'll post their picture and sure enough, it's on many occasions led to somebody being caught having maybe multiple women that they're dating. So it says here that they had two million sign ups which was that was last week, which that's a lot. That's how you ended up. That's how you end up topping the free app chart within Apple. But Friday hackers access the database containing seventy two thousand images, thirteen thousand of which were verifications, selfies, and government ID photos. So the hack followed I guess coordinated threats posted on something called four chan where users called for a hack and leak campaign, and I think it's maybe led man. I don't who knows why they're what the benefit of leaking this information is, but I can see some people saying, hey, this is a cool that you know you've created, Like what you said, this is clearly just for gossip reasons, right, and it just it's a platform that was growing like crazy that could just only lead to somebody who might have something to hide actually getting exposed. So the app's founder is a guy named Sean Cook, and he created Tea after his mom had trouble finding good men online. And the app apparently donates ten percent of its profits to National National Domestic Violence Awareness. So, I mean, I can see why people would find this app either useful in the dating world or just be interested in the drama that comes with it, Like I can see people that aren't looking to see if there's significant other is on there, And I got to keep in mind, dudes want to see what I mean, this is the This is a chance for dudes to get a report card, an unbiased, objective view from somebody they've dated before. And maybe they didn't really tell you how they feel directly, but they'll tell you. They'll tell others how they feel about you through this app. So I'm not at all surprised that that this is the thing now. But yeah, any any app like this, I just to me, these are going to be the ones where a hacker may be looking to do some I don't know, maybe maybe vigilante style as far as like you know, hey you think you know? Because this could clearly ruin the lives of certain people in a major way. And some would say, well, hey, then you shouldn't be out cheating. Well you're you're probably right, or you know you shouldn't be. And again, I guess this is more so I guess just to vet guys, but this is it's just it's drama, right, I mean, I guess it's not crazy, but if you genuinely had interest in a guy and you knew or a girl for that matter, and you knew you had the ability to check in with the previous three people that that person has dated, you would look at that as, oh wow, I can I could really get some good intel as far as what I'm getting myself into, right, But also, they're not going to mean they're not with them anymore, So they're probably, no matter what, going to give you a perception that, like, this person is not someone you should be with, and then you'll be even if you didn't want to believe that, it'll be in the back of your mind. So again, I could see why you'd want to know, but it can also keep it from actually seeing it through. But yeah, if you are on t the app, you may have your information compromise. All right, let's get to a quick update on traffic and whether Bobby Ellis will get as straightened out as far as what we're looking at here to get the Monday started on the roadways, We'll get a look at Matt molos Fitch's forecast as the heat wave continues, and other sports of day with Scott Fitzgerald's Coming your Way right here on news Radio Waight forty whas