Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I am six forty and now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle, And good morning everybody.
Speaker 2: It is a Thursday morning, May mourdays.
Speaker 3: And then we're into June and summertime is here.
Speaker 2: Well, there we go. Well canaday's gonna be out there? I've noticed it's still just breaking.
Speaker 4: Gonna be a little overcastie, I think, right, Amy. And then it's pain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got May Gray. It's gonna break up this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, May Gray. And then we have June Gloom.
Speaker 6: It's not for a couple more days.
Speaker 3: Right, and then we have February. February. Do you know it's right? We have ju and gloom. May Gray I haven't heard of, by the way yet. Yeah. I got to come up with that. We have to come up with stuff like that. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Amy, Good morning Bill and uh oh Will, good morning. I can't hear you will uh uh there you go. The nice uh nice T shirt, form fitting, really tight T shirt.
Speaker 3: Good for you will leave me alone.
Speaker 2: That's someone who's comfortable U in his uh two skins that he's wearing.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If it's only it's a food chain issue. You understand, you're new on the show. So whenever we bring someone.
Speaker 3: Else who's new, h they get the grief.
Speaker 2: And Neil, I mean, how often what do I do to new people on the show or the station?
Speaker 6: Make them cry?
Speaker 4: It's a hazing ritual that's illegal in most places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: My uh when you know, I hadn't my surrogacy center, it was I never knew anybody's name.
Speaker 3: What a shocker.
Speaker 2: And it was always the new girl because it was all females that worked for me, because we were in fertility and talking to women about their uteri and endometriosis and you know all kinds of stuff, you know, follicles and all of that vast deference because there's a vast difference between male and female.
Speaker 3: That's a joke.
Speaker 2: And so it was always the new girl until we had a new girl. Then it became the new girl, and I had to know. I had to find out what the old new girl's name was. So yeah, there's a lot of grief there. Oh, okay, and Gorning, good morning Bill, okay, and.
Speaker 3: Cono good morning.
Speaker 2: No, No, they're right, it's not terrible.
Speaker 6: It is not a good morning.
Speaker 3: Why isn't it a good morning because I started it?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 6: Because ConA broke the radio station?
Speaker 4: I'm helping fix the radio station?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, you know if we have equipment there that actually has the word Marconi company on it, that you know, they just don't spend a lot of money on this stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, by the way, do they never mind?
Speaker 2: I was going to go into the whole headset fiasco where everybody has their own headsets. The station will provide headsets. They buy them in bulk at eight dollars apiece, and here you go.
Speaker 3: You can have.
Speaker 2: Them all right inside Baseball?
Speaker 3: All right? What else is going on today?
Speaker 2: We're getting ready for June seventh, where we're going to have the dinner at the Anaheim White House and five people are going to join us, plus their guests and the entire Morning crew. We are having dinner together Anaheim White House. Put that one together, very high end, very delicious. This is a seriously good This isn't your normal oKFI here have a cheap mug kind event. It is for real and so MEAs well. Here's how to do it. We might as well open the show with that. We want to know why you want to go or why you should go. So during the course of the show, you have three hours. You click onto you go to the iHeartRadio app, click on the bill handle show microphone in the upper right hand corner, click on that, and then you have fifteen twenty seconds to give us the reasons. We already have a few, Neil, when when do we start? When do we actually start playing the ones that we have already?
Speaker 4: I think tomorrow will play some.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fair enough, we're getting some really fun ones.
Speaker 3: Not interested in hearing you know how much you.
Speaker 2: Love the show or yeah that's crap, but we're And by the way, the ones we like go into a hat. I don't know how many of those, and then five are taken out at random at that point, and then you get to join us, and all of us gonna be fun, all of us together are going to do it, all right, you guys ready to do it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We have We have some news on.
Speaker 2: This Thursday morning, May twenty ninth. Let's start with Amy Neil and me lead story. Well, the ongoing battle between President Trump and everybody else in government in the non executive branch part of government.
Speaker 3: The tariffs have been just ruled illegal or.
Speaker 2: Most of the tariffs by the federal by a federal judicial panel.
Speaker 3: And this is the Court of.
Speaker 2: International Trade, the US Court of International Trade.
Speaker 3: Which controls tariffs.
Speaker 2: And the problem has been from the beginning, how far can a president, in this case President Trump go in determining arbitrarily what he wants, who he's going to tariff, how much he's going to tariff, to what extent, how long? And the court said, you know what, there are some rules here. The president's position is that there are no rules. The president has unbridled, unfettered power to tear if anybody he wants, change it, increase it, decrease it, change it three times a week, which seems to be happening, and it's okay, we'll see if there are some guide rails here. They also allowed some of it too, because it's very specific as to how far the law allows a president to go, and it's in there in the law. He says, none of that matters. I am president, and I can do whatever the hell I want. The pardon power, for example, the pardon power is unfettered. He literally can pardon anybody. He can pardon anybody who would turn around and take top secrets and hand them to China. Not that he ever would, of course, but it's just unbridled, not so much the terriffs. So we'll talk a lot more about that. Well, seven o'clock, I'm going to talk about that.
Speaker 5: Mister Musk is ejecting from the Trump administration. CEO Elon Musk is leaving. His off boarding has begun, according to the White House. He posted on x yesterday thanking President Trump for his time as a special government employee with the Department of Government Efficiency draws to an end. He added, No, he didn't add, but somebody said that his departure would was decided at a senior staff level. But he was always scheduled to leave after one hundred and thirty days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, about to hit that.
Speaker 2: And you knew that he were going to leave as soon as he started getting more press than the president. No one gets more press than the president, So you knew he was on his way out. And what his contention is, He was there to bring the deficit down, to bring down the national debt, and this new budget that President Trump is proposing or Congress is proposing in President Trump they were having some fights about it too. Is that it's going to increase the national debt by trillions of dollars. And if you remember President Trump came into office saying I Am going to decrease the debt.
Speaker 3: Well, it's going to increase the debt.
Speaker 2: And that's and Elon Musk is not very happy about that, and it's making it known.
Speaker 4: Stew one More Health and Humans Secretary Robert F. Kennedy announced just on Tuesday that his agency will no longer be recommending the coronavirus vaccine for healthy pregnant women and healthy children. Issue here is now you've got doctors coming out and going, well, you know, pregnancy is one of the concerns. It's one of the mitigating circumstances that they recommend you should have the vaccine for because it can cause problems. COVID can cause problems with pregnancy if the pregnant woman should get it. So doctors are a little pissed off about this, going against the very studies that they've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is mainstream medicine says, this is not a good decision. Pregnant women should get the COVID vaccine because if they get COVID, it can be catastrophic. And of course Robert Kennedy is not a big fan of COVID's from a vaccines from day one. Matter of fact, he has asked for testing to go on with all the vaccines because they didn't do the double blind placebo tests and he wants to go back and test everything, like the polio vaccine. Let's go back and retest the polio vaccine that came out in the fifties that has saved tens of millions of people. He said, we didn't test it enough. We have to go back and test it.
Speaker 4: You are not going to do any test in a lab that is going to do more than millions of people taking the vaccine that we took during COVID. How are you going to do a study is more than.
Speaker 2: Because the argument, the argument is the danger of that vaccine was not tested only the efficacy that it worked, not the dangers. Because we know what vaccine does, just ask Kennedy. It causes autism, It causes all kinds of problems.
Speaker 4: What causes two bdiyes too close together?
Speaker 3: Like, well, that's another one. So yeah, it's it's tough, all.
Speaker 6: Right, visas revoked. Secretary of St.
Speaker 5: Marco Rubio says the US is going to begin revoking visas for Chinese students. He said that it includes for those, in his words, with connections to the Chinese Communist Party or studying in critical fields. Chinese students make up are about two hundred and seventy thousand of them in the US. That's about a quarter of all the foreign students in the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On the one hand, I buy into the fact that there is tremendous amount of espionage that's being stolen from US industry, from people that work their spies that the Chinese government puts into place just to steal technology. Whether students do it or not, I don't know. And this is pretty far reaching, making it very almost impossible. And there's those are the number one group of foreign students, particularly at California. And by the way, one of the problems is, you know, they get tens of thousands of these and they can't tell the applications apart.
Speaker 3: You know, they all look exactly the same.
Speaker 5: Okay, Taco trade Trump doesn't like it. President Trump has bristled when he was asked about a New Wall Street term based on his his tendency to put trades on or tariffs on, take them off, threaten them, then say oh, hold off. He says it was a nasty question that he was asked about. A reporter asked Trump in the Oval office about what was dubbed by a Financial Times columnist as the Taco trade. It stands for Trump always chickens out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was not happy with that.
Speaker 6: Now I saw it.
Speaker 5: He was like, yeah, I haven't heard of that, and that kind of went back and fired off a few things of why he says he's not chickening.
Speaker 2: Out right, And he says, listen, yeah, I go ahead and I announce, and then I take back, and then I announce and then I change it. And its negotiation is what it is to get these people to the table, because the reason the tariffs are going into place is, frankly, our balance of trade is miserable. That we're importing many, many more products than we're selling to various countries. It's a lot more complicated than that, a lot more complicated than that. But of course life is fairly simple in the world of this administration. So he's saying, no, remember that the economy was going to explode as soon as he came into office literally day one, not quite and there's a bunch of other things, So I think inherently, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Are we hearing you now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah. You gotta love that term taco.
Speaker 3: Though, I love it. I love it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a lot more complicated life happens to be, especially under this stuff, under what happens with the trade and the depth sit I mean, his heart if he wills in the right place, because he wants to bring businesses, he wants to bring employment, he wants to bring factories back to the United States. I don't think anybody can argue that. But is it realistic? Yesterday I did a story on he wants Apple all iPhones made in the United States.
Speaker 3: Impossible, impossible, and he.
Speaker 2: Told Tim Cook, you either bring all of production here and or I'm hitting you with a twenty five percent tariff right now.
Speaker 3: So anyway, is it taco? Is it burrito? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Feeling hot, hot hot, get ready for several years of even more record breaking heat that will push the Earth to more deadly, fiery, uncomfortable extremes. That is from the World Meteorological Organization and the UK Meteorological Office they say there's an eighty percent chance the world will break another annual temperature record temperature record in the next five years.
Speaker 2: You know you're not hearing anymore that if we reduce the emissions, carbon emissions, fossil fuel production and burning down dramatically, it will help.
Speaker 3: It may turn around, it'll stop climate change. It won't. We've hit critical mass. We're done.
Speaker 2: It's here, and if we do nothing, if we bring it down to zero, it's still here and it's going to go on.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The only issue is how fast is it going to go at one hundred miles an hour or is it going to go at.
Speaker 3: Fifty miles an hour. So far, all of.
Speaker 2: The predictions from the climatologists, the science to study this stuff, it's moving far faster in terms of the world heating up than anticipated.
Speaker 3: That has been reported. Not good news. I've said this.
Speaker 2: I'm happy that I'm not twenty years old and about to live for the rest of my life watching what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I do not envy my daughters. I do not envy their kids. I don't the.
Speaker 4: Earth will be fine. Just to people on it won't be.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the Earth is going to be very hot.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been through a bunch of things. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be I think it's gonna be very, very tough. But you're right, will it Will it come back? Well, it came back after the dinosaurs died and the big meteor hit and after the ice age.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: But we have to live in there, or you have to live in there, because I'm not going to the Only thing is, you know, those of us are going to get buried. If you're cremated, you're gonna heat up. But if you're buried, if you're gonna get buried, you're gonna cook in the ground anyway, So enjoy. It's like one of those you know pigs that they the pork they cook in Hawaii, you know, with the stones and they put the pig in it and then they put the banana leaves on it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Really, that's what's going to happen to us if you get buried. I just thought of that.
Speaker 3: That's so, that's a world.
Speaker 4: There's a Now Now all I want is koloa pig and eggs right now. All right, Bill, you've been complaining and concerned about this as well. One of the concerns is that some of these cuts are going to hit scientific research. Sixteen states are suing Trump and his administration rather over National Science Foundation directive. They're looking at these and they're saying, this is going to gut the National Science Foundation. You know, on one side, you've got people in the Trump cap the MAGA type folks that are saying that there's not enough research on vaccines. And then on the other side they're cutting scientific research.
Speaker 2: Well, they are going to cut and they are cutting scientific research. This is not an administration that likes science, that likes research, that like scientific breakthrough.
Speaker 3: It's all about politics. It's that simple.
Speaker 2: If whoever is a proponent a supporter, gets the kudos, and if not done and it's tough. I mean, we're talking about gutting programs that actually going to save people's lives. The United States is going to come from the forefront of this kind of research, which it has been. Again I'm not an exceptionalist, but in many cases, the US is the greatest country in the world.
Speaker 3: As I've said many times, this is one of them. This is one of the reasons. Well that's being cut off at the knees.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, what country do you think is the best country in terms of what to live in. I don't know. It depends.
Speaker 2: It depends on what your parameters are. It depends if you're poor, any of the Scandinavian countries.
Speaker 3: If you're rich, the US is a great place to live.
Speaker 2: If you want scientific endeavors, if you like research, the United States. If you want a safety net, you go to Finland. If you want a great education, a great general education, you go to Norway. If you have kids, So it depends on where and what and what are the parameters. If you like great weather, you go to San Diego. It's the best weather in the world. And that's part of the United States. If you like guns, huh, no issue on that one. If you want a country that is neutral, where everybody is happy that they don't get into politics, they don't go into wars, you know, they're not part of all this, you go to Sweden. You don't live in Iran, which is all about terrorism. So you know why and what. You can't just say the greatest country in the world. I mean you can, but it's as it is. Life is more complicated than just black and white. Race relations not so good here.
Speaker 3: Tax if you liking if you like eating sand for dinner, you go to Yemen.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I could keep on going and going coladas and getting caught in the rain. You go to the Bahamas if you want to wear shorts and drink yourself silly.
Speaker 3: Okay, Amy, Sorry, that's okay. Uh.
Speaker 5: Taxing the rich is not flying in the House. House Republicans have rejected a push by some allys allies of Trump to include hikes on the rich in the legislation they passed last week. The measure excluded a millionaire's tax, which Trump has said he was open to, and other proposals to raise taxes on top earners. Of course, it was pitched by Stephen Bannon, the president's first term chief strategist. The Senate could make some changes to the Republicans in the House are expected to say, no, Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is interesting because this is kind intuitive. This is the president wanting to tax the rich. Everybody above four hundred thousand dollars is going to get taxed more, and his GOP, the GOP stalwarts. You don't tax the rich because the rich produced jobs, produced businesses, and you don't want to stop that.
Speaker 3: So President's playing a middle ground on this one. Interestingly enough, Okay.
Speaker 4: Maybe to him, he doesn't think they're rich. He's like millionaires, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Four hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's middle class, not even middle class, lower middle class.
Speaker 6: Was his threshold. Four hundred thousand.
Speaker 5: That was a that was a Biden thresholder there was. I think it's like two and a half million, is what Trump was saying.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think the income has four hundred thousand dollars. I think so. You can look that up. It's a different tax.
Speaker 2: But Biden was going to cut taxes and the four hundred thousand dollars was going to be the threshold.
Speaker 3: I do believe that's true.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know how they have, you know, taxes for everything nowadays they're adding everything. Now going to Hawaii going to get bumped up a bit. There's going to be a fee for travelers staying in hotels, short term vacation rentals of course, and for the first time ever bill cruise ships and it will be a nightly hotel rate of three hundred bucks will be in So if you go and you're paying three hundred bucks for a room, it's going to be an extra two dollars and twenty five cents each night, which means nothing.
Speaker 2: It's just pennies, but except it adds. It's all cumulative. You go to New York, it's twelve or thirteen percent on top of everything else that you pay.
Speaker 4: This will be about eleven percent on a nightly lodging rate at this point. But this is all supposed to go to climate change. I don't know. I'm a little cynical that this is that this money ever sees those causes anymore than our streets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm a little confused if you can tell me climate change. Is that to stop climate change? Or is it to create more climate change?
Speaker 4: No, it's four projects and environmental stage type stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, got it? Got it?
Speaker 4: Which out of all places?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, okay, it's it's not to create more climate change.
Speaker 4: And yeah, they're actually raising a hot house. Yeah, they're giving them beans and doing what they can.
Speaker 5: Well said, we got suits and counter suits. Smokey Robinson has filed a five hundred million dollars counter lawsuit against four former employees who sued Smoky earlier this month for fifty million dollars. They say that they were sexually battered, assaulted, there was false imprivsonment involved.
Speaker 6: They say they were raped.
Speaker 5: Smokey has denied all all the accusations, and in the countersuit, he and his wife say his accusers defamed him at a press conference, they say they treated their employees as extended family, and then also provided photos and text messages of the women spending holidays and vacations with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it's not five hundred billion, gazillion trillion dollars. These lawsuits are crazy. Trump going against CBS twenty billion dollars. I mean, it's it's become kind of insane. Although if he wins, you've got four former employees, so they'll be responsible for what one hundred and twenty five million dollars each.
Speaker 3: May take them a while to pay it back.
Speaker 4: There's now at the court a smoky and non smoky Robinson's section.
Speaker 3: Oh, very good, very good, all right.
Speaker 4: Series of joint law enforcement operations launched by California Governor gav He led to more than led them to more and sixty seven hundred arrests, so nearly five thousand stolen vehicles recovered hundreds of firearms seized across San Bernardino. Get you all right, ConA, well what Bakersfield and Oakland officials announced this there with great pride. Through these partnerships, they aimed to reduce roadway violence, criminal activity in high crime areas. A lot going on in Bakersfield. Three thousand three, one hundred and fifteen arrests were made just there.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how they got those numbers from Bakersfield, because I don't know how they got anybody that admitted they lived in Bakersfield, much less stole cars or the victim of car theft.
Speaker 4: Bakersfield is fine.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Bakersfield is a delight four one of the better cities.
Speaker 3: Okay, here it is.
Speaker 2: Remember you asked why, you know why I think America, why people think America is the greatest country in the world.
Speaker 3: Here's the answer. Bakersfield.
Speaker 4: Oh boy. Okay.
Speaker 2: By the way, for those of you who are listening in Bakersfield, you know, if you know, I want to tell you that I humbly apologize for do writing Bakersfield, even though every word I say is true.
Speaker 6: Okay, dude, how's your heart?
Speaker 5: Otherwise, healthy people who are smoking pot or eating gummies showed signs of early cardiovascular disease similar to tobacco smokers. It's a small study, but it and it's also the first looking at thhd's impact on vascular function in human Of course, THHC is the part of marijuana that makes you high. Prior research on mice found damage to blood vessels that supply oxygen to vital organs after exposure to marijuana smoke smoke. The guy who is leading the study said a vascular function was reduced forty two percent in marijuana smokers and fifty six percent for people eating the gun.
Speaker 4: Mike's not here, man, No, I.
Speaker 3: Have to tell you was the other way. Amy.
Speaker 2: It's if you do, you increase your chances of cardiovascular disease.
Speaker 3: And I don't.
Speaker 6: Understand that scular function is reduced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't get this.
Speaker 2: I see, smoking marijuana can have problems because you know all that crap going in your lungs, although you know how many people smoke twenty joints a day.
Speaker 3: But edibles that causes problems.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna die on Sunday if you smoke a pot, and you're gonna die on Saturday if you eat a gummy.
Speaker 4: Well there's food that causes cardiovasca.
Speaker 3: There you go, and here is the issue.
Speaker 2: The research only shows an association, not causality. You know, for example, people who go past McDonald's have a higher incidence of cardiovascular disease.
Speaker 3: Let's say, well it.
Speaker 2: Just some time as they do a study and they're off and they happen to pass the McDonald and somehow you connect the two. Well, not necessarily, and that's the case. So it could be you just set a lot more and that's what causes the increased fat and all.
Speaker 4: That correlation is not causation.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 4: That okay, Forward recalls nearly one point one million vehicles. The rearview camera has some software issues causing the camera's image to like delay or skip a little bit or even freeze there in display. So the recall covers some twenty twenty one through twenty twenty four models a year Bronco F one P fifty Beautiful Truck, the Edge and twenty twenty three through twenty twenty four Escaped. You know a lot of these, so check you want to check if you've got aford to see if you're in this category.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who doesn't rely on the rear view cameras, and it says, don't rely on the cameras. Come you know, of course you rely on the cameras because if you look back, it's all the blind spots.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, but you now with a camera, he'll check all your mirrors.
Speaker 3: I don't Why don't I just look at the camera.
Speaker 4: I know I've driven with you.
Speaker 3: That's correct, all right? I think we have one more.
Speaker 5: Japan is not happy about people breaking with tradition. If you go to a hospital in Japan, you might need to see newborn babies named Nike or Pikachu or Pudding.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: The government is cracking down on the so called kira kira names that means sparkly or shiny. They don't like the sparkly shiny names for babies. New rules went into effect Monday that will limit parents from giving their babies names that are pronounced in unconventional ways.
Speaker 3: How do you do that? Who makes that decision?
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I mean.
Speaker 2: Who someone wake up in the morning and say no, I don't like that name even though the parents want to name the kid that.
Speaker 4: Well, you did, you changed your sparkly name wolf? Well, Wolf is not a sparkly names.
Speaker 2: And that's the whole point that Japanese government is saying, is that certain names will lead to bullying. Okay, which names, Well, sparkly names, how about sparkly.
Speaker 3: Just that name?
Speaker 4: Don't you need to be cool? If if we called Kno Wolfcono, it would be like a special agent named Cono Wolfcono.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I don't understand it, but I can I understand stopping the bullying.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're done.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: Feenee KFI AM six forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.