Speaker 1: The National Broadcasting Company presents Radio SETI Playhouse Attraction twenty five Ladies and Gentlemen. Here's the director of Radio SETI Playhouse, Harry W. Duncans.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bob, friends. The story we have for you tonight is not a nice story. It is, however, a true story as it deals with the truth in a human situation, and we feel that once in a while radio can do with true and realistic stories. Our star is miss Elsbeth Eric, one of New York's most talented actresses. She plays the very difficult and penetrated role of Martha Hillman. Here then, with Elsbeth Eric as Martha and Adelaide Klein as her mother, is tonight's play machine Attraction twenty five on Radio City Plans.
Speaker 1: Martha Hillman works in a factory. It's a good factory, good pay, good working conditions. Martha's job consists of soldering together two copper wires which.
Speaker 3: Protrude from an aluminum ring.
Speaker 1: The ring, after several additional operations, may end up in any one of a dozen electrical devices. All Martha knows is this one job. She is a human machine, efficient, quiet, dependable, A big, overweight, twenty four year old bad complexion machine. She is also generous and kind and the hardest worker in her department. Okay, Yet, Martha goes on working for a few minutes, then turns off her soldering iron, puts down her work gloves, and finds herself at the end of the line of girls checking out their worksheets before going to lunch. She waits patiently her turn at the supervisor's winter.
Speaker 4: Very Bishop for thirty two sixteen effective Bishop four thirty two sixteen. Okay, Martha Hillman six forty five ford defective times.
Speaker 5: Think you're the last one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, six four five four defectives for I don't know how you do it?
Speaker 5: That Bishop, kid took all morning to do four hundred and thirty two. She's knew, isn't here, she's leaving getting married.
Speaker 7: Well, you're seeing you, Jeane.
Speaker 5: Hey, just a second, Martha. Missus Forrest up in person now wants to see you.
Speaker 8: See me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, down this morning. Want you to drop into her office for your lunch before. I don't know she hasn't done anything.
Speaker 9: Look, kid, all I know that is Missus Forrest just wants to see you.
Speaker 5: Better go up for you eat.
Speaker 6: It's I'm the fourth floor room four to eight.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, can't understand why she wants to see me.
Speaker 10: Don I don't know, Matha, come in, she's down, Matha.
Speaker 11: Thanks, Marca.
Speaker 5: Is some news for you, some good news, good news.
Speaker 10: We're going to promote you.
Speaker 12: Don't you think it's about time? I don't know, em planning to send you up to the thirty fourth Tea warehouse. You'll be working on mister Ralph up there, traffic and shipping. We have five girls under you, and there's an increase of seven dollars.
Speaker 5: A week thirty Forestry.
Speaker 10: Yes, don't look so sad, Martha.
Speaker 5: It's a promotion. Would that mean I'd ever get down here at all?
Speaker 10: Not unless you visit the night shift.
Speaker 5: I can't go, missus forest.
Speaker 10: What did you say, Martha.
Speaker 5: I'd rather not take the other job than a promotion.
Speaker 10: My dear girl, you're not serious.
Speaker 5: Yes, I I'd rather not. I don't understand this is a promotion.
Speaker 10: A rays of seven dollars a week. We've liked your work, Eve insteady and reliable and punctual.
Speaker 5: Just don't want to go up to thirty Forestry, that's all.
Speaker 10: But Martha, it's closer to where you live. It's a short ride in the subway, better pay, nicer work.
Speaker 8: It's a promotion, Martha.
Speaker 5: Don't you understand that a rays of seven dollars a week? Only the money?
Speaker 10: But Martha, why I thought you'd be delighted. I thought you'd be thrilled.
Speaker 5: We've always been very nice to me, Miss Forest.
Speaker 4: But I don't want to go.
Speaker 13: Is it for some personal reason?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: At home?
Speaker 5: Perhaps?
Speaker 6: Is there some trouble at home?
Speaker 10: I don't mean to intrude Matha, but it's so well, it's such a good chance. I hate to see you just just turn it down.
Speaker 7: I have to go.
Speaker 10: You don't have to know, but I'll be very disappointed in you if you let me down.
Speaker 9: You wouldn't fire me if I didn't go, of.
Speaker 10: Course, not math How can you talk that way? Nobody wants to fire and not just stay where I am?
Speaker 8: Martha. I wish you'd be frank with me.
Speaker 5: Do you want to go?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 9: Thought?
Speaker 10: Oh no, Martha, you mustn't cry about it. You don't want to go, or that's all there is to it. Look, supposing you think it over to tomorrow at noon, I'll keep the job open to this.
Speaker 5: I don't change my mind.
Speaker 10: But you'd meet new people, make new friends.
Speaker 5: It's a wise step in your career.
Speaker 4: I don't want to meet any new people. But I don't want to make any new friends.
Speaker 5: I want to stay here.
Speaker 12: I like it here, all right, Martha, that's the way you want it. I'll keep the job up until tomorrow noon to change your mind.
Speaker 6: Come in and let me know.
Speaker 8: That's all, Martha, that you Martha, Mamma, oh.
Speaker 6: Baby, I just made it a nice picture of lemonade, and I thought it would cool us off.
Speaker 7: Boys.
Speaker 9: It never feel good to say I bet.
Speaker 5: Some boil, aren't you? Absolutely it was.
Speaker 6: Do I wash my hair? I feel better now here. I have a nice glass and told lemonade beer. No, baby, we just didn't have enough money this week to buy any deer.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, them makes fine, thanks Ma, taste good?
Speaker 9: Huh yeah, well.
Speaker 3: Well m.
Speaker 6: Martha, Uh well baby. A missus Forrest phoned me from the plant this afternoon. She's a personal lady. She told me all about this, the new job.
Speaker 5: She seemed to think you're to take it.
Speaker 6: She said she hoped I didn't mind her phoning, but that she couldn't understand why you didn't want to go.
Speaker 9: I don't want to go.
Speaker 6: Don't pick at your face, Matha, Why don't you want to go?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: Well that's no reason, honey.
Speaker 8: Okay, so sorry, good pauty force he's closer in a ray.
Speaker 5: Seven dollars a week that pays the rent.
Speaker 7: No pays the rent.
Speaker 5: We can pay the rent. I want to make now.
Speaker 6: At the times like this, I'm sure we should follow it was alive?
Speaker 9: Oh that Martha.
Speaker 6: Oh no, let's not get anywhere round, mar could. I'm only trying to advise you to help. Leave your face alone, MafA. You'll make it bleed if you keep picking at it.
Speaker 5: Why, I'm tired.
Speaker 6: Let's have dinner, hunt Why why just answer me that one question?
Speaker 5: Knocky because I don't want to now, let's drop it.
Speaker 6: No, I won't drop at Martha Hillman. You just got to come to your senses. I never heard of anything so silly in my life. If you're behaving like I got still be cut when you lay off.
Speaker 5: Honest, I'm tired out now, let's drop it.
Speaker 6: Seven dollars a week, a raise of seven dollars a week, and you're being airy fairy. Well you'll learn, young lady. I suppose you think you should have missus Forrest's job seven dollars a week isn't good enough.
Speaker 5: I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 6: Opportunity only knock. He wants to remember that decided it didn't Though you were so crazy about this job you got nod.
Speaker 5: I get fine.
Speaker 6: One day you like it, next day you hate it. When you make up your mind, will you please your faith? Alone? Sad enough now without your picking it all the time.
Speaker 7: When you shut up? For Heaven's sake, lay office, Why don't you.
Speaker 6: Make up your mind. Since you're not getting married, you might to go and get ahead in your work. Because if you don't shut.
Speaker 7: Off when you shut up, well are you getting married?
Speaker 6: Why but you any boys around here? When I when I was your age, I was married for three years. If you don't want to get married, and you don't want to be a success in your job, what do you want?
Speaker 5: I just want to be left alone over you get Stop it before I get mad.
Speaker 6: Don't you talk to me that way, young lady, and stop painting them down and be care about lemonade?
Speaker 7: Who spit all of you?
Speaker 6: But you don't get Have you gone crazy?
Speaker 7: What I'm telling you? If you don't shut your mouth and get dinner. I'm that you want to take all of you yet? Yeah yeah, yeah about this job. I work hard all day. You make me sick with your You have to have you yet, don't just shut up and leave me alone.
Speaker 6: You're an ungrateful, rude, nasty girl. That's what you are, an ungrateful, stupid, rude, nasty.
Speaker 5: Mount Shut up.
Speaker 7: I haven't got enough caught up with heaven to listen to you all night.
Speaker 9: Make me sick around all day?
Speaker 7: Doesn't do what was? Your hair just sucks me?
Speaker 13: It suck me.
Speaker 6: I don't There's no use just throwing yourself on that chicken mom helming girl. I don't care what I do. You can stand that job until you're rough.
Speaker 7: Bove me alone alone.
Speaker 9: I wish I would dip well, I should think you would.
Speaker 7: Mop Please leave me alone? Oh what to use anyway?
Speaker 5: I wish I was? Then you shouldn't talk like.
Speaker 8: Hi do I.
Speaker 7: Take that job? Hate the fact reader, take missus as like hate this, take a lot. I hate everything. I'm going away and maybe alone.
Speaker 6: You make your face already your cry so.
Speaker 7: It's ram so what doesn't make me get rid of red blue or Greek? Mother?
Speaker 6: Please stop stop.
Speaker 5: Crying like that.
Speaker 7: I hold time, this goes on.
Speaker 5: Sure I go to night school, so watch sure I work on the fact me.
Speaker 7: One good does it do me?
Speaker 5: What good does it do me?
Speaker 8: When I'm like this, hold on so fastin.
Speaker 7: Trembles all over my face?
Speaker 5: Mother?
Speaker 9: Please don't please stuff all the time.
Speaker 7: He would do me any gordeous, because.
Speaker 5: You're so nervous, that's what.
Speaker 7: Wouldn't you be nervous looking like you have them sneezles. I can't stand it anymore, that's all.
Speaker 9: I just can't stand it anymore.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go away someplace and never ever go back here again. Say I'm just gonna go away somewhere. I'm not gonna go on working and working with never anything dis goo for it. Never and I never did me.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 7: If I start beating all the other I never get me dinner.
Speaker 9: Baby, Please don't go on so it's danced.
Speaker 7: They never go to dancers, never do anything. I want to go out.
Speaker 9: I want to have dates.
Speaker 7: Why can't it be like you and McCauley. Why why can't I? Because I'm fat and I've got sembles them too tall and too big?
Speaker 6: Mouth a baby? Please stop crying?
Speaker 7: Clean you just.
Speaker 6: Don't know what it's like.
Speaker 4: One time I went to the company dance, I said, I said, all night, all night long.
Speaker 7: I just sat there and had it be good nation. But then like I was enjoying.
Speaker 9: Sure, they think I'm good natured, just like an old cow. And nobody, nobody, one of those sturdy.
Speaker 7: Nesty stuck up guys would have me even once. Not one of them make up Bob.
Speaker 10: Bob he's a sky.
Speaker 11: And shipping busy, lives on the same street the puris. He was the only one well enough and enough common or.
Speaker 6: Common O.
Speaker 7: Dear God, I.
Speaker 6: Go and make upper mode.
Speaker 13: Baby.
Speaker 6: It's not as bad as a please, so fad you're big bone, a big girl.
Speaker 5: Stop it.
Speaker 6: I can't stand with your sabbage mob Please, honey, the Bob Tully. You like him, well, of course I like you.
Speaker 9: Oh, I don't like him that way. That's what you mean.
Speaker 5: I don't care if you.
Speaker 9: Ma please get supper in my office.
Speaker 6: You got nice hair, baby, yeah, unnaturally curly.
Speaker 9: And you're a good girl, Martha.
Speaker 6: You're kind and good and smart. Don't you care about those dances and everything? You're just the kind of you had any sense at Tolley picked for a wife.
Speaker 9: Oh, okay, I'm sorry, Ma, sorry, I don't know what God is to me.
Speaker 6: That's all right, baby, you're upset.
Speaker 13: Let's have suffering.
Speaker 6: Maybe go to a movie we'll talk about in the morning. In the morning, huh more toast, dabies coffee? No, thank you should eat more breakfast, work all morning on one slice a toast and one cup of good time for cigarette m M gordat So I have a smoked Sure, take your time, honey, Martha. M you're my own daughter, Martha. And well, Honey, I do anything that would help to make you feel happy. I know you would, So I look, Martha, can't you just say everything we are thinking? Real, honest and straight from the shoulders daily?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 9: I have Well, look, honey, have.
Speaker 4: You always felt like this?
Speaker 6: I mean, have you only felt sort of well, self conscious about being what about not being it's pretty or some girls?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 6: And have you well, have you want to doble half of me?
Speaker 3: Say all?
Speaker 7: This?
Speaker 5: Martha is your idea? You know?
Speaker 6: Have you always wanted to have more dates with tellers?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 6: And this Bob fellas well? Supposing me ask you to marry him? Drop dead now, Martha, you promise we'd be real. Honest, I'm only trying to help. Is the asher to marry him? What would you say?
Speaker 5: Say? Yes, you like him? Huh?
Speaker 6: Is he the reason you didn't want this promotion so that you could stay where you might see him once in a while?
Speaker 9: Yep, you love him?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 6: Well, then you got to you've got to so what Well if you never try, if you just sit around and never try, you know hard time.
Speaker 7: But why make youse?
Speaker 6: I mean, how do you think I got your father to propose?
Speaker 5: You didn't weigh one hundred and sixty eight.
Speaker 6: But you're big in the bones, baby, You're not sad.
Speaker 5: It's just a big girl over, big all over. Couldn't you just.
Speaker 6: Say he lives here on creamont that's right?
Speaker 5: Couldn't you just kind of.
Speaker 6: Meet him accidentally some night, accidentally, is right? And maybe ask him in for supper in here?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 6: I'm a good cook. We use all the best china.
Speaker 5: I think i'd gone nut, or at least you could try, baby.
Speaker 6: I'm only trying to help. My mother doesn't like to see a baby miserable.
Speaker 5: I'm miserable now, mother was last night. I'm fine together, but couldn't you try?
Speaker 6: Couldn't you just kind of happen to meet him on the way home from work and just casually ask him in for dinner.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look at the subway every night for a month and pounds. I don't know if that's what you mean.
Speaker 6: Which you'll try her, babies, please, it's nearly eight o'clock to buy.
Speaker 5: Mom. Thanks for.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks, but you'll try.
Speaker 5: Sure, Sure, Mom tries. Maybe I could ask him for supper some night. Maybe I couldn't well, Love, how fun are you doing in this neck of the world?
Speaker 3: Are up here? I live here on Treemont?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, isn't it a small world?
Speaker 13: Has to all.
Speaker 5: You walking my way? Sure? I'm so subway awful, honestly.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Schooler today though, And it's that hospital two weeks ago we nearly died.
Speaker 14: Not a yeah, And I sure we'll be glad to get out of that joint. Oh yeah, I'm quitting getting another job over in Jersey. My brother in law's got a garage over.
Speaker 13: There, wants me to go in with them Jersey.
Speaker 5: Well, isn't it just fine?
Speaker 3: I figured I wasn't getting anywhere with old Jogis.
Speaker 5: Everybody says you're twice as smart as they have me sense it.
Speaker 3: He can give you his job and it doesn't matter. Now I am leaving the end of this week.
Speaker 14: This week came, I noticed money, So you're leaving.
Speaker 5: He wears a shipping department fall apart and a frank hem. He says, you're the strongest man they ever had in chipping. Sure, that's true. Said you do more boxes in the day than any other guy that got it's just my good living. I'll bet you're not so good living. Yeah, that you're a wild one. You think so I can sell?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You man?
Speaker 14: Uh you uh you live around here, Martha, No, it doesn't.
Speaker 7: That spete everything.
Speaker 5: I've walked clean pastop that's your fascinating conversation. Well, the least you can do is walk back with me. It's only half a block. Well, look, I said, I haven't come. It's only a staff.
Speaker 15: Okay, man, Gee, women shure are queer.
Speaker 3: Nothing ever makes me forget where I live.
Speaker 5: Being so attractive for me, Well you are, gee, Milton. That's our supervisor. She thinks you're the best looking guy on the planet. You know she's got supervisor.
Speaker 3: I don't know her.
Speaker 5: He's a nice girl. Gosha'm hungry. My always has swell dinners.
Speaker 4: I always say a good home cooked meal taste better than anything you ever get at the Waldorf ast story.
Speaker 1: Do you go there?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 5: Not for not for weeks, since weeks.
Speaker 7: There's this this guy from out of town.
Speaker 5: He always takes me there. But it's it's a jerking you rely died.
Speaker 7: I'd rather have one of myn's.
Speaker 5: Home cooked meals than anything you eat out much, Yeah, all the time. Must get tired of it.
Speaker 3: I don't mind it.
Speaker 4: Don't you ever get real anxious for a good old fashioned home cooked meal.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I go to my sister's in Jersey's on weekends.
Speaker 5: Hey, Bob, I got a swell idea. What why don't you come in and have stopper without?
Speaker 3: Why don't you tonight show?
Speaker 5: Why not? If you're leaven the plan, I won't ever get a chance to ask you again.
Speaker 3: And that's nice to yet, but I still have a previous engagement.
Speaker 5: I was saying, well, I'm busy later myself.
Speaker 9: Not anything I couldn't break.
Speaker 4: But I did promise a guy that I'd go to a show with him, right, so you could come here and then even leave just as soon as you want to do?
Speaker 5: Is that place?
Speaker 7: What do you say?
Speaker 3: WHOA, Well, I guess it'll be all right. I can't stay though, fine.
Speaker 4: Not fine that you can't say, But I've really got to go to this show with this guy anyhow, So it'll be.
Speaker 5: Fine, won't it? Come on?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Marphy momy tickled at death. He never gets tired of me bringing guys home for meals.
Speaker 5: Mother me, honey, thanks.
Speaker 7: Mama, don't sit in the living room.
Speaker 6: I washed the slip cover and they're still wet.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I never saw that to wash in my life.
Speaker 6: If we had today, I thought I never Oh, Ma, this is.
Speaker 5: Bob Lawson, this is my mother. Well, mister Lawson, this is still coming for dinner. Ma, I hope you got something wonderful.
Speaker 6: Oh well, isn't that silly? I washed the slip cup of out of chesapel sooner and I well, we'll just sit on them anyway.
Speaker 3: Look, don't go in any trouble, missus home when we can sit anywhere.
Speaker 6: Well, it really pretty wet.
Speaker 5: Couldn't we bring in the kitchen chairs?
Speaker 12: Ma?
Speaker 3: Why can't we sit in the kitchen?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's suppose we bring in the kitchen chairs.
Speaker 8: No, no, miss I'll get them.
Speaker 7: You'd even go on the living room and ober in the chairs.
Speaker 9: Wouldn't it.
Speaker 4: See the day Ma would wash everything hotly. She's the most particular housekeeper ever, So honestly, you could eat off the floor.
Speaker 5: Well this is home, sweet home.
Speaker 3: Oh it's real nice.
Speaker 5: Ge knows slip covers are still pretty damp. Guess we'll just have to sit on the kitchen chair.
Speaker 6: We are, we are. Slip covers were so dusty.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid you just have to have a safe Oh that's all right, missus helman Martha.
Speaker 5: You sit on the No, no, no, you said, Anna, I'll get the other chair.
Speaker 7: Mother, you keep up coming for a while, All right.
Speaker 6: Sit down, mister lawson.
Speaker 3: Well what about you?
Speaker 7: Oh no one?
Speaker 6: Do I have to say about dinner anyway?
Speaker 3: Get okay?
Speaker 6: Mama said, you just up.
Speaker 9: The street a bit.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, that's that's right.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm real.
Speaker 6: Glad you came.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 6: Well, if you'll excuse me just a moment, I'll just see about dinner.
Speaker 7: There's a magazine right day.
Speaker 5: Next to you, a helmet. Take your time.
Speaker 3: I'm ot say.
Speaker 5: Why the night you pit?
Speaker 6: Martha washed by after dinner. We've got nothing.
Speaker 7: Good night, mother Gonta.
Speaker 6: Let me know madame the subway and whose slip covers soaking wet?
Speaker 9: And I look such a mess.
Speaker 6: I washed the whole afternoon. Any beer, No, I'll go down and get someone. And we got no media me no, I thought we just had eggs tonight.
Speaker 7: We can't get an eggs.
Speaker 9: I'll go right down to the Supermarcos. It's nearly six star.
Speaker 6: What the Jewish Harley in there? Close to I phone this morning? Missus life stick told me.
Speaker 5: Catch your snooze.
Speaker 9: Fans here?
Speaker 5: Who wonder what we're doing?
Speaker 6: You go on in our manage. You go and put on your black pumpy and use the good Yeah I will.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't you know you'd washed those?
Speaker 6: You may get dinner there here? What what we're doing? Go on, I'll get dinner. I'll get something the madberry's, mister Lawson.
Speaker 5: I put them up my bell.
Speaker 3: Oh no thanks, missus Hillman. They make my eyes swell up. Hey what, Yeah, it's silly. I'm allergic to raspberries.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've got a friend's allergic to dog here. Yeah, you're honestly, every every time she comes within a mile of a dog, she gets our eyes and Jesus soft.
Speaker 6: What about coffee's lawson?
Speaker 14: Well, no, but I tell you i'd sure like a glass of milk if your mother, would you get Bob's and milk.
Speaker 6: I'm afraid I use the glass of the milk in the scrambles.
Speaker 3: Well, look, that's okay.
Speaker 13: I got some water glass.
Speaker 6: Okay, not very cold. I'll get the nice Oh.
Speaker 3: No, this is fine, honest, I'm fine.
Speaker 5: Maybe the slipcovers would be dry.
Speaker 6: We can take these chairs back to the living room. It's cooler and they all.
Speaker 3: Look Honest, folks, I gotta be going. I got another previous engagement.
Speaker 5: Should go, then you might as well, as you've got a day.
Speaker 6: He's got a day, I know, but you should make him hurry.
Speaker 3: Well, I do have to go. And well it's it's been swell. Thanks very much, Mark. Then missus Hillman, I'm.
Speaker 6: Sorry about the wine. I don't know what happened to it. It was wonderful when we had it last Christmas. I guess it must have have maanded too much.
Speaker 14: Yeah, well, look I guess I better run along now, I guess you had.
Speaker 3: I I certainly enjoyed those scrambled eggs.
Speaker 7: That's good, and.
Speaker 3: I certainly was pleased to meet you, missus Hillman.
Speaker 6: Saying here and then I go, go, how is my dog?
Speaker 9: He's gone?
Speaker 3: Well, what'll so long? Everybody? Don't buy the miss helmet.
Speaker 7: I can find the door. That's all right, I'll say to the door. It's been real nice.
Speaker 6: Have you lost come again?
Speaker 5: Fine?
Speaker 9: This is He's a real nice bob Oh matha baby.
Speaker 6: I'm real sorry about the wine. I never got to get beer today with Bernstein's clothed. Doesn't that I'm sorry if everything wasn't just right. But honestly, honey, I washed the whole attenute.
Speaker 9: If you only let me know outfit I got.
Speaker 6: Oh, I know, slipcovers. If I'd known, I could have washed them any day. Honestly, I nearly died when you both came in because I thought right away about the slip covers, and it'd be awful city on straight chair and everything.
Speaker 5: You stop this but eggs.
Speaker 6: Honestly, tomato soup and eggs, some dinner and no milk and no beer and wet slip covers on fanto doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I han't you understand.
Speaker 5: If we did turkey and budding.
Speaker 6: Can't you get it too doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: When the lunch whistle blows, Martha doesn't hear it. The constant noise about her has trained.
Speaker 5: Her or shut her ears.
Speaker 1: She goes on working for a few minutes, then turns off her soldering.
Speaker 3: Iron, puts down her work gloves.
Speaker 1: And finds herself at the end of the line of girls checking out their worksheets before going to lunch. Martha waits patiently for her turn at the supervisor win.
Speaker 10: Mary Bishop three eleven twenty defects in Mary Vicious.
Speaker 5: Three eleven twenty defective one of a good thing to get married, Mary. You're sure not much use around here. I's thinking at the end of week, I'll never ever have to touch a start of nine as long as I live.
Speaker 7: Hof Brother am I.
Speaker 4: Bart the Hillman seven o two note effectives Martha seven O two no defective.
Speaker 6: Oh Martha, at the rate you work, it's a wonder to me.
Speaker 5: You're not provident of this joint?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, sure, you have just heard.
Speaker 1: Machine has written and directed by Harry W.
Speaker 15: Duncan.
Speaker 1: The part of Martha was played by Elsbeth Eric Ma was Adelaine Klein. Other players included Grace Keddy, Phil Sterling, and Anne Totoniac. The music was composed and conducted by doctor Roy Shield. Radio City Playhouse is supervised for the National Broadcasting Company by Richard P.
Speaker 3: McDonald. This is Harry Juncan again.
Speaker 2: Next week on Radio City Playhouse. Stephen Vincent Vinet's Great story Alimentals. It is the story of a young man who made a bet of ten thousand dollars that loved was stronger than hunger. Be with us next week for Elementals. I fractioned twenty six on Radio City Playhouse.
Speaker 15: Good Night, everybody, Bob Warren speaking.
Speaker 1: This is NBC, the National Broadcasting Company.