Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started hour number two here on a Thursday afternoon. But as you likely know, and if you don't know, now you do Fridays or Thursdays or Fridays for us, Friday vibes on a Thursday, as we you know, kind of half ass get the weekend started. I mean, I know it's not really Friday, but just let me catch a vibe here. That's what I'm trying to do. Because Fridays are great, Thursdays are now equally as great. So thanks for hanging out with us. I mean, there's other things you could be doing. I mean they think of all the things you could be doing right now. Actually don't because then you may leave. You'd be foolish to do so. But if you're listening, you chose to be here with us, and we appreciate it. My name is Nick Coffee, the company man mister John Alden alongside as we take you up until six o'clock. As you could expect if you're you know, someone who is somewhat familiar with what we do here when it comes to louisvill football, been a frustrating season. I think most fans, and I will say this before we kind of dive into the Colin Lacey news, I think we're pretty much aligned. Like I think in recent years when there's been frustration and there's been struggles or you know, epic failures like basketball was even like the end of the Sadderfield era. I mean, I don't think we were ever united, and we're never going to be full of united, meaning like everybody has the exact same opinion and feels the same way. That's just not real life. But I feel like the majority of Louisville fotball fans are kind of in the same spot as far as just being frustrated. I don't think many think that this team is terrible and lousy. I mean, maybe you do. At the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. Your four and three and two and two in conference play, which by definition makes you average at best. So you know, it sucks that they're in this position. But there's still a lot of ball to be played, and if they can somehow finish strong here, I mean, even if they were to go four and one the rest of the way, it's still finish eight and four, and you know, if one of those wins is against Kentucky or Clemson, I mean, I think we could look back and say, yeah, as far as the expectation for the regular season, it fell a little short, but overall you're still in a positive place with Jeff Brom as your head coach. Now, if they go undefeated the rest of the way, I mean, that would be great. I don't know. I mean, I just can't and it's possible, it wouldn't be the craziest thing that ever happened. I just can't really, I can't really go there at this point when I've watched this team play enough. And again it's not because I'm thinking, well, they're too vulnerable at this position or they just don't have any good players, they're a mess. It's not that for me. It's just that they've not been able to establish a trait that last year's team had, and that is the ability to, no matter what happens, stay locked in, climb out of a hole. If you have to avoid big mistakes at crucial moments in the game, and you hold on to and you find a way to win. Again, some call it luck, and maybe luck is involved to an extent. I mean luck is involved in every aspect of life every now and then if you think about it. But I think you can develop the ability to stay locked in and find ways to win close games. Never waiver, stick to the game plan, don't look up at the at the clock and panic and freak out, and you know, let a game snowball, let one mistake turn into three. Leicester's team wasn't as talented in my opinion, but they were able to always stay locked in find ways to win close games. And this team has done the opposite, and it's frustrating to say the least. But anyways, back to the Colin Lacy news that of course was a big part of the three o'clock hour is he decided last night to opt out the rest of the season, meaning he will not play another game for Louisville this year, and he will be able to play elsewhere next year, or at Louisville next year, whatever he wants to do. But because of the injury situation, he's seven games in only played four games. Another snap in a game would eliminate his ability to extend his college career and also have another year's salary as a high level college football player. So, you know, one thing that I think is pretty obvious, but I didn't really emphasize it much when we were discussing this whole thing in the three o'clock hour. His injury situation makes this very much different than I mean, that's a huge component in factor here. One, he's already missed three games. Also, he's not playing at one hundred percent. I don't know if you reaggravated his injury, but there's some talk that he might have tweaked it a little bit. And even if he didn't, I mean, he's not himself totally. And that alone will make you wonder, you know, you know, what should you do here? So for those thinking, well, everybody's gonna do this now, no, because if Colin Lacey was healthy, he'd have played in enough games at this point that he would not have the ability to do that. He is in a unique situation. Look the guy who or Devin Neil who really chose to do the exact same thing before the SMU game. They didn't give him the option because he wanted to not play the rest of the season but still be around the team and then transfer elsewhere and they told him thanks, but no thanks. So he was somebody that you didn't want to lose, but he lost his spot to t Mary McDonald. He was playing less and less, and again you can call him quitters, and you're not wrong, per se. But they're also employees now, and they have a short career shelf life compared to what we do. Right, most of us will work a job, and if you're not in terrible health or have some kind of I mean, like I can be sixty and do this job. I can be twenty and do this job. I mean, obviously it'd be much different type of show depending on those two situations. But like, you only get five years to play college sports four essentially, you know when COVID wasn't a thing. But and for some of these guys, it might be the best paying job they ever get if you're not an NFL player. And let's say you get into an entry level position and you know, I guess over time, like when you're twenty years in as an employee in whatever industry you work in, it's not pro sports, obviously, over time your salary is going to jump due to cost of living, that kind of stuff. Or maybe it won't if the economy stays the same that it is. But if you've got a you know, you have five years or four years to be a college football player, and that's a job. And you know that you could have a successful career doing other things, but your job as a college football player at a high level might be the highest paying job you can ever get. So why would you not do everything you can to make that last as long as possible and make as much money as you can. Like people think this is selfish, and it's again, he's just a quitter, quitting on his team. You know, you can do whatever you want you the way you feel, the way you want to feel about it. I'm not trying to influence it, but this is not going anywhere, And I'm just trying to provide the perspective from the player's standpoint now, because Colin Lacey, I mean, if you really consider it just from his perspective, what's best for him, he'd be foolish not to do this, he would. I hate to say that, because you know, I wish he was still playing. Be great if he had to change of heart in the next twenty four hours and he's out there playing for Louisville when they take on Boston College. I mean, that's not happening. But like, if you really just look at it specifically from his perspective, he'd be foolish not to do this. And I think, as I discussed earlier, we are not used to this yet, and I don't know if we ever will be, considering the fact that for generations we could live in a world that really wasn't reality, but we could live there and believe that all these players are here because they love us, they love the program, they love the fans, and they're playing for the name on the front. I mean, these guys just they're so appreciative of everything that they get because they get to get a free education, and you know, they get food, room and board, all that stuff, and that's why they're out there playing their heart out. And I'm sure some people really did approach it that way, but it's always been transactional for coaches especially, but for players it wasn't as if you know, you're getting paid to play. I mean you weren't for a long time, and you weren't at all until recently, unless of course, you were getting some money under the table or something. Like that, So the transaction wasn't money. In the previous world, the transaction was Okay, I'm here because you can get me to the NBA or you can get me to the NFL, And that still matters, to be honest with you, But money matters more now because it's a new world. So what people could kind of get lost in, right, that wholesome world of college Sportsman, these guys are out here for the love of the game, leaving it all on the line. Like now, it's in your face every day that that's not what this is, and it really never has been. It's just never been quite like this, and it sucks because again, it's taken away some things that people used to really think that they loved about college sports because again, they could get lost in that world that really wasn't reality. Now you can get lost there if you want, but you're reminded all the time that it's not really what it is. So I hate it that he's leaving, or at least that he's not playing this year. But I'm not all that surprised when you consider his situation, and I won't be shocked if you see other guys who are in his situation. Do the same thing. And again, he wouldn't be able to do this if he wasn't injured, and he came to Louisville and he hurt himself and it kept him from being able to play a full season. So for him, you know, some people have said, Nick, why wouldn't he just do this at the beginning of the year, Well, because I'm sure he was being persuaded to not do it, and then he did play and now the season isn't completely shod, but clearly he's not going to be able to play in the College Football Playoff or even the ACC Championship. And if he really wants to have those moments, he can take advantage of the opt out and then going to chase that opportunity and make money next year. So there's some conflicting reports out there as far as what he's going to do, and I don't believe anybody truly knows what's going to happen with Colin Lacy in twenty twenty five. However, I would say that, you know, I don't think they expect him back, but that doesn't mean that they know for sure he's not coming back. That's what I would say. But again, take that for what it's worth. It's not like I'm talking to Jeff Brown, you know, specifically, but they don't, you know, I think they are preparing for him to probably move on and get an offer elsewhere and want to leave and start fresh. But I know they would love to get him back if they could so. Eric Crawford in his write up last night did say that he believes that he believes that that you know, Colin Lacy will not be back, and that the expertation is that he won't be here later. Somebody for On three Sports reported that the two sides meaning U of L's nil collective, I guess the five or two circle as well as as well as Colin Lacy and his agent because he has an agent now you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Here here's Eric's right up. It says Colin Lacy opts out at Louisville, adding comments from his agent to On three Sports saying the player quote anticipates coming back to Louisville and the parties are working tirelessly to make that happen. What is working tirelessly?
Speaker 4: Mean?
Speaker 2: Like I mean, and that's something that like I think would be interesting, but it's just none of us in least at least not that I know, like the stipulation as far as his NIL arrangement, like, I don't that's not public record. I have no clue if he's already been paid everything or if he is set to get maybe two more payments on December. So I don't know. I have no clue how it works. But you know, Colin Lacy, technically, if he has a contract, the contract wouldn't not include that he needed to play in order to make that money, because again that it is what it is, but it's not And what I mean by that is, you're not allowed to pay these guys to play, but you pay these guys to play, if that makes sense. So when it comes down to like the con like ninety nine percent of money that is going to college athletes, it's not truly for name, image and likeness. It's not you know, they're not utilizing your brand in your reach to it's not an investment for them to get a return as far as a monetary return. It's an investment to get you to come and play and hopefully the team will be good. But they have to call it in il. So there's no there's no contract that states he has to play in order to get money, because you know what, you're not allowed to pay them to play, even though that's exactly what you're doing. I know that sounds super confusing, but I think most of you know what it is. So you know a couple of questions and comments that came in on the text line five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety is the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, there's no way Colin Lacey can just opt out and still be with the team making money while they're out there putting it on the line every day. That's a fair comment. I mean you say there's no way. I mean maybe if your bram, you realize that could cause some real issues because that I mean again, like it's a job, but you would assume these guys do still love playing. Therefore they're not looking at it as if they're out there having to work, you know what I mean. So I don't know, but yes, that that is one of the countless things that you have to consider when it comes to this new world. Is like if a guy, I mean, heck, even players knowing that other guys are making more money than them is a potential issue. Louvill ran into that in the spring, there were guys here that were, you know, just trying to create trouble when it comes to that miss, you know, lying about what they were making and to make you know, probably just to to flex, and it wanted the cloud. And yet it made other teammates mad when those teammates didn't realize other guys were full of crap. They weren't making the money they claim they were making. So your point is, I mean, if he sticks around and then comes back next year, I would be pleased. But I would also understand if you're somebody in the locker room and you'd be like, wait a second, this guy's getting money and he's not out here playing Like yeah, it's one of the many examples that this is a mess. And by the way, I've never once stated that this is like the right way to go about it and all is right in college athletics. I just know that this is what it is, and there's no turning back. You can have this thing better regulated. But as far as what I think people are the most upset about and having the toughest time adjusting to, that's what I don't think is ever going away and it's going to be right in front of your face moving forward. And what I mean by that is this is now a job. These are employees. Therefore they're going to always be looking out for what is best for them because it's work. It's not the same thing that you and I do for work, but like their employees, and if they can take advantage of their employer to make more money and I mean or leave this job to go get a different job that puts them in a better situation, they're going to do that just like you would. So I mean, it's it's it's it's not normal, but it's it's it's where we are. And again I don't I don't think it's I don't think it's going away any anytime soon. All Right. So a few people have said that there should be more transparency when it comes to what anisle money, like what money you give is going towards it, and and I believe there is some level of transparency as far as you can donate to the FABWA True Circle and be specific about which program you want to support, but as far as you know, as far as like knowing, hey, I'm going to give a thousand bucks and I want it to go towards this player that we're trying to get in the portal. I don't know if you have the ability to do that, I mean, and I don't even know if like these collectives have the resources to be able to truly document and give you data. And they shouldn't be honest with you. I mean, I get if you're somebody that is donating, you want to know where your money's going. Totally understand that. But I think having it all out there, like every little detail, every little penny from each person where it's going, I think having that transparency can only work against you. But again, if that's what you would need in order for you to give them a dime, I totally get it. All right, real quick, let's go to the phone lines before we take a break where we'll come back on the other side, and welcome in Trevor Hass who joins us to talk to Boston College in Louisville football. He covers BC for the Boston Globe. But let's go to Will who joins us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. What's happening Will, hey man?
Speaker 3: Man, there's so many nuances to this, you know, I can argue both cases, you know, like I like it for the athletes because they've been getting pretty much, you know, robbed, in my opinion for one hundred years. Coaches are pimps. They do what they want, so I get that. At the same time, the effect is going to be like like, I'm a pretty good Louisville fan. I consider myself. But you know what, dude, I really don't care, like when it comes to like money, like, dude, you're gonna have twenty some million bucks to disperse, Like I really don't care, Like if you think these kids like if you, oh, I love the kids. I love them like down the road like big care they're doing around the court. They don't care. They're here to do what they gotta do. Maybe one out of ten kids, Oh, I want to play for the Big Blue out of play for the Cardinals. But most of these kids are getting paid. It's a business, like you said, Okay, let's say if it's AT and T, would you care who AT and T hires as long as your phone works? If you say, it's the business that you avail you okay wherever, dude. Fans like most people don't even know what NIO is, Like we're nerds. We're on the we're looking at this and reading this and watching sports programs. But if you go to the average person in the lot of them and say what we think about nil, they don't even know what you talked about. Right, So most fans just want to see a good team. But most fans are not going to just keep paying all this money for a little snotty nosed kid that can pop in and pop out when they want. It's like, it's it's stupid. It's a terrible business plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and will I appreciate the phone call. I'll say this, I think it is going to be harder and harder to get like the average fan to pue me up big money corporations. I think it's a different world, and I think that's still going to be utilized. In fact, that's my guess is that you'll see the twenty two million be dispersed among student athletes and that. But again, that kind of gives you an even level playing field when it comes to the top four conferences. I would assume most of those schools may probably all of them, will try to get to twenty two million, because if not, you just have a tough time getting players at all, But the difference make are still going to be an il and I would assume that it'll be corporate money like you know, Planet Fitness and whatnot that'll you know, Morgan and Morgan Like that's my guess that it won't be as much fan driven money, But I could be wrong because money's gonna always matter and you need as much of it as possible. So if they're still asking fans for money, I won't be shocked. And yes, real quick on your point, like, yeah, it's it's easier for people to really get in and get hooked if they feel that the kids are there because they love them and the program and the city and all that. But I guess you won't have as much of a heartbreak on your side when these things happen if you just see it for what it is and know that it's all transactional and it could still be great, like college sports is still great, but the emotional connection that fans used to make, I just think it's going to be tougher to do. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety we've hit the halfway point here on a Thursday afternoon. It is coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us as we get you set for well, the weekend's not here yet. Again for us, it's I mean, we treat Thursday like a Friday, and that makes I mean, that just makes Thursday better. So again, it's not really the weekend, but it kind of is, so you know, humorous. All right, let's talk some football. Let's bring him in. He is Trevor Hass. He covers Boston college football and basketball for the Boston Globe. Trevor, how we doing this afternoon, sir?
Speaker 4: Doing great? I like that mindset. Thursday is Friday. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Thursday of the new Friday makes you feel like he got a long weekend. We can, you know, improve the vibes. So that's kind of been our mindset here in the last month or so. You should carry it on up in Boston. We can take over and net Way. Everybody just feels like we're getting longer weekends, which is what everybody wants.
Speaker 4: So good stuff that I can do is the European model, four day weeks.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it all right. So before we get into this matchup between Boston College and Louisville, I guess let's go back a little bit to the I mean, it was one of the bigger stories I think in the offseason of college football where Boston College lost their head coach who seemingly was in a decent spot because he wanted to go back to the NFL as an assistant, and that led to a big name, Bill O'Brien coming to take over the program as someone who covers BC was Was that a stunner for you guys to see to see the former head coach. I don't know why I'm forgetting his name already, but just walk away whenever you know they went to a bowl game and won it last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really was surprising, honestly so Jeff Hafley. He had a pretty successful run a PC overall some ups and downs. In twenty twenty two, they were just three and nine, so that's obviously not going to cut it. Then last year they improved a seven and six, had a big bowl win over SMU, and things were kind of looking up. They had a five DM mini streak roable point during the season, then lost three straight and then beat smut in the my ball to kind of beet into momentum, and then halfway left he I think he figured, you know, the Packers are good opportunity. Can't really pass that up. He can be a DC in the NFL. That's obviously a great, a great chance to do that, so I don't fault him for that. And then it was kind of a you know, a national search BC look for its next guy. And Bill O'Brien is a local guy who grew up in Andover. He went to Brown He's you know, from here, his family lives here, he loves he loves New England, he loves BC, and he kind of figured, you know, I want to be a head coach, I might as well count from this opportunity. And it's worked out lot for the most part. They're in a two game skid right now, but over all their four and three and things are looking up for the program overall.
Speaker 2: That was what I was going to ask you, is does it feel as if, so far, you know, you've gotten a nice little jolt here from a guy who most would say wouldn't consider this job if it wasn't for those connections that you mentioned being from the area. Did that did that did was the hire itself? Was that something that really you know, I can't think of any real big memorable moments for Boston College football in recent years, but bringing in Bill O'Brien, I mean that I would imagine that got fans pretty excited about the future even before he coached a game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I mean people were fired off about BC like twenty thirty years ago, and it was a huge thing in town. To be honest, it's kind of lost its luster over the past ten to fifteen years. They've had some decent years, but they're still looking for for eight wins. They haven't really gotten there in a long time. It's been fifteen years, which is kind of a crazy stat. So I think bringing in Bill O'Brien kind of gives it. It's almost like credibility, Like, you know, if Bill o'b brown wants to coach here, then you know, we should buy into this program. We should believe that we can do this and we can kind of do it together. So I think I think Bill O'Brien just brings a level of accountability and professionalism that you know, they've had in the coaches, but it has been quite to this level. So I think the winner of Florida State was a huge boost for the program. But then it's kind of interesting because once they beat Florida State, everyone thought they were gonna, you know, go twelve and oh, but then people realize that Florida State's really not that good this year. So it's been a bit of a weird situation where they started four and one but they might have been overachieving a bit, and now they're four and three and they're under underachieving a bit. So theoretically, if it evens out, they should win seven or eight games, but we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm looking at their their schedule up to this point and they're they're kind of a tricky team to figure out. I mean, the win against Florida State obviously doesn't look as good now as it did at the time it happened, but still they dominated that game. They bullied Florida State, and yes, Florida State has been terrible, but still that was an impressive showing. And then after dominating against an FCS opponent in Decay, they they played Missouri pretty close at Missouri and Missouri despite taking a beat down to Texas a and m a couple weeks ago. I mean, that's still that was an impressive showing in my opinion from this Boston College team. Then they end up knocking off Michigan State, a team that nobody would claim is at the top of the Big Ten. But still that's a big ten win for Boston College. And then a close game against WKU where I believe Castellanos was out that game. And then, as you mentioned a moment ago, back to back losses, what what shifted here in these last two games? Obviously a closer game against Virginia at their place and then another road trip to Virginia Tech, and that one kind of got away. What was there something that really stood out in those last two losses that really wasn't there I suppose in the in the first four or five games or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, there's something various that I can tell you. So BC's been fumbling the ball a lot in the past two games. It's it's tumbled six times against Vicinia at Tech and lost it three of those six times. Yeah, and against Virginia as well. Some key turnovers and key moments like they're you know, they're driving the m momentum and they're in the red zone and then they just cough it up in a costly spot. So stuff like that. It's actually the overall product hasn't really looked bad the past two weeks, and for the most part, it's just been key turnovers and key moments that have led to two kind of you know, disheartening for losses for a program that really was trending in the right direction before them. So BC could easily be five and two or six to one right now, but at the same time it could have lost, you know, some of those games. The Western Kentucky Michigan stated, as you said, So it's kind of an evened out to a four and three, which makes sense, but it's in a weird path to get there. So I think number one priority for them this year or this week is just to minimize the turnovers because they're moving the ball pretty well. Their offensive line has been playing pretty well, Castellanas has been playing well outside of those turnovers. But if they can just stop fumbling it, they'll be in a good spot.
Speaker 2: So Louisville favored by about a touchdown here in this matchup tomorrow night. How how do you, I mean, how do you get a sense for the for coach O'Brien and you know, Boston College, FA, I mean, how are they looking at this matchup with Louisville. Obviously, Louisville the favorite, as I mentioned, but you know, they they've proven to be beatable. They've lost three games of their seven, which not a lot of Louisville fans were expecting. I mean not to say that there's there's you know, a ton of confidence from Boston College, but I would imagine they're looking at Louisville as a good opportunity to get that bad taste out of their mouth with two straight losses and then a bye week. I mean again, I think Louisville is the deserving favorite at this point, but I know Boston College is probably looking at this as a big opportunity to get right.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think, you know, when you look at it, I think Louisville is, you know, it's next opponent. It's obviously the team that we're praying for. But I don't think VC is worrying too much about Louisville in terms of like which opponent is who they're playing. I think this team genuinely thinks they can beat anyone, and I genuinely think they believe that if they play at the potential, they're one of the best teams in the country. Whether they are or not, that's another question, but I truly think they believe that. So I think for them, it's really about fundamentals and kind of just you know, minimizing those soulmos and other mistakes and like silly penalties and things like that. And I truly believe that if they, you know, they think that if they played at their potential, bill win this game. So it's more just about kind of looking in the mirror and seeing what the needs directify and actually doing it. So who knows what will happen if they do those things that Louisville stillmight Winless was a great team. They hung fifty six points on BC last year, which is obviously kind of an absurd number, So I think Louisville should be confident as well. But I think for me, it's about really the fundamentals and just kind of minimizing those mistakes, and if they do that, I think it'll be closer.
Speaker 2: Of last year's beat down because it was a blowout. One thing that stood out to me, despite Louisville probably playing their best game of the year is that Castellanos the quarterback for BC. That kid, I mean, he was special in that game himself. He's continued to show that he's a really, really talented guy and he can do something that Louisville's had a really really tough time with, and that is running the ball at the quarterback position. I mean, I would imagine that's going to be a big emphasis for this Louisville defense. But it's been an emphasis for them for the last you know, five to six games, and they've still had a tough time. Is is Castellanos still a guy that you obviously he can make plays both ways, but I'm assuming that's still a weapon that coach O'Brien is letting him utilize. You want to keep your guy healthy, but when you got the ability to really create plays just with your god given talent, I would imagine he's got the green light to do that when need be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's been an interesting kind of balance to strike this year for BC. I personally thought that Catsalanos would run more than he has last year. Has They kind of let him run wild and it worked for the most part. I mean, they lost some games, they probably should have won, but they did finish seven and six, and Catalanos is a huge reason why. But catslanus give himself a C minus for his performance last year, which I thought was pretty pretty self critical. I would have given him a BB minus. They'd be played pretty well overall, but he thought he could have been better because he had fifteen touchdowns fourteen interceptions, so it was kind of like a mixed bag in his eyes. So this year with Bill O'Brien obviously a quarterback guys coach, Tom Brady, Deshaun Watson, some of the best you know in the world, he really knows the thing or two about quarterbacks. So he's kind of come in and, you know, molded Castlanas in a new way where it's like, all right, you have this talent, you can run, but also we want to make you a pocket pass where we want to make you make the right reads, make good decisions, avoid those interceptions. So outside of the past two games, he's really done that. He's played a fret be good, you know, see pretty good five games up until those last two and then the last two, like I don't know, it might be concussion based because that was the reason is out again. Western Kentucky. Maybe his head's not quite right. We don't really you know, we can't see inside his brain, but that could be it, or it could just be the defense, you know, maybe give them some credit for causing those turnovers. But if you just take those two aside, he's really had a good season and shown some positive strides. So and the next step is pramise, just getting back to what he was doing before, because if you played like he did the first five, then BC is good enough to win most games. So it's just about consistency and minim as most mistakes. As I mentioned earlier, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the numbers here, and yeah, he has not been very effective as a runner, at least not from what we saw at times last year. But man, I wouldn't be shocked at all if if during that by week, and obviously after taking a couple of l's, that maybe they realize, Hey, if we want to get right, we want to bounce back, we've got a guy who can really seemingly exploit something Louisvill's had a lot of trouble with again, which which is why I mentioned stopping the quarterback. I mean every quarterback they've played seemingly has been somebody that is viewed as somewhat of a dual threat, and their ability to make plays with their legs has been a factor. And in certainly every loss for Louisville, and even in some of the games they were able to uh to hold on and win. And with Costellano's you know, maybe I'm maybe I'm giving him a little too much credit for what he did last year overall. Obviously he did play really well against Louisville, but you know, he's somebody that I would have just assumed would have hit the portal because he showed what he can do for a Boston College program that you know, isn't elite by any means, and everybody seems to want to jump in the portal this day and age. How How how does Boston College navigate that having a former NFL coach as your as your head coach is certainly an impressive thing when it comes to recruits or kids that want to transfer. But you know, I mean, I would imagine Boston College is probably not in a position to be one of the leaders when it comes to NIL and when it comes to you know, leveraging what you have in NIL in the portal. I mean, it's it's everywhere in college sports. But I guess my overall question is, how have you seen BC sort of handle this new world of college athletics since it's been i mean much different than it once was. For sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so b C. You know, it's it's an interesting situation because BC really prides itself on its academics, you know, being embossed in a real community feel, you know, kind of being the only predominant football team in the city playing in the DCC. There are lots of things that if you're looking for a good education, you're looking to maybe make the NFL if you're talented enough, it certainly puts you in a good spot. And especially with this coaching staff, I think it really gives them a leg up that they didn't have in the past. So that's definitely the marketable side of it. But the flip side is O'Brien is blatantly said that they're not really looking to do anil too much. They're not really exploring that avenue. I mean, obviously it's part of the situation and part of the equation that it's just going to be what it is, but it's not really a point of emphasis from his staff. I think they really just want players who genuinely want to play for VC and want to be part of that community and just you know, build something special as a football team. So you know, some players wouldn't like that, some players would. It kind of depends what you're looking for. But you know, it's it'll be interesting to see over the next five ten years whether they can you know, maintain that traction that they're currently building now when you know, kids in today's day and age do want the money, they want the you know, the perks. So I'm curious to see how that shakes out, and I think I think it will work overall. But they may struggle compared to some other aths programs just because of you know, the stubborness to do that. But at the same time, it certainly has its perks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it really is is a good fit for both sides, meaning coach O'Brien in Boston College. Because if you don't have a big war chest of money for nil from a collective or something like that, that clearly is going to be seen as a disadvantage for some players. However, you do have something that a lot of schools don't have as a guy who has proven to be a good coach and a guy who's been in the NFL, and you know, this day and age, if you're going to have players really just want to be somewhere and want to play and buy in for a coach that they feel can can really you know, utilize, you know, get the most of their potential. I mean, that's the kind of guy that that would do it. Was there any tall I mean, like whenever, to go back to what we first discussed as soon as it opened up? Was it a quick thing as far as him being interested in Boston College clearly knowing, Hey, if he wants to come here, will gladly take him. I kind of feel like it, you know, it came out of nowhere, but certainly a good a good pickup for b Cen doubt.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So when I was, you know, looking at it, I knew that he had local tides. I knew he was from here obviously coached the Patriots previously, But I didn't really think it was realistic, to be honest, I was kind of like, wow, this feels kind of like a pipe dream. As you alluded to earlier, it's kind of a big hire, so once once it happened, I really thought it was a perfect fit, and I still think it is. I think he's the guy who you know, he knows the community, he knows the area, he has tied to the area. He cares about BC, he cares about you know, the players, the program overall and building into something special. So I do think it was kind of at a left field in a sense, but at the same time, it's also a perfect fit once you know all the variables. So his son has a rare condition called listen seph Lee. He's nonverbal and he's not doing too well physically. Fortunately he's okay, he's stable, but he's not in the best health. So having those hospitals, you know, in Boston is imperative to the family, and his wife, Colleen went to BC that the parents are here as well, so they're just and his son plays other son Jack or other son Michael plays baseball. It's tough. So when you kind of think about all those ingredients, it really makes total sense. And I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon, so I'll be curious to see how he shakes out. But I think this is a good spot for him and a good spot for BC to have them.
Speaker 2: One more question for you, Trevor, And by the way, is Trevor Hass who joins the series covers Boston College for the Boston Globe. What kind of atmosphere are you expecting on a Friday night in Chestnut Hills. Obviously Friday night is not the typical night for most programs when it comes to playing college football. But are you expecting a good crowd? Obviously they're coming off back to back losses, but a season right now that I think was probably a little bit better than they would have expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that's the interesting part to me is that when people the BC was not supposed to be like great this season, like from the outside, they were picked pretty you know, far down in the a SEC poll in the preseason. But if you ask the players, they wouldn't really you know, give you the same answer. They genuinely think they're one of the better teams in the ACC. And then when they had that forum on start, people were kind of you know, all in the Michigan's date game with the Red Bandanic game where they honored nine to eleven hero Wells Crowder and that that was a hecking environment. It was a lot of fun when of the best games they've covered at PC and they came back to win that game and things were looking up and everyone was bumping, and then they lost the past two and all of a sudden, like like this team's four and three, what's kind of going on here? So I think it's a good opportunity for the students and the fans from the city to show up and kind of show that they're still behind the team. I don't think it's going to be like a completely packed house, but I think it'll be a good environment. It will be allowed, and if BC can win this game and get back to five and three, then all of a sudden, things you're looking up. So I think it's a good chance for the students and fans and show they're still behind the team.
Speaker 2: Trevor, appreciate you making time for us and enshore the game tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: My pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having take care again. That is Trevor Hass who covers BC for the Boston Globe. Good stuff there, all right, we got to take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side, wrap up the four o'clock hour and keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company fieldbouth Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right, Coffee and Company are rolling along here on a Thursday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Aheart Radio up Listen live. It's seven to ninety Louisville dot com. Let's go to the text line as we wrap up the four o'clock hour, five o two six five thre seven ninety. It's the Llenn Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com. So this take says Nick. Each year we go to at least one road game. Sometimes we actually make it to two. This year we're just doing one, and it's the trip to Boston College. We're still going flying out tomorrow morning. But I gotta say I'm not as excited about the game as I am just about being in Boston fair enough. I mean, when you I assume you say you're not as excited about the game, is because that you expected Louisville to not be four and three and two and two in league play when this game happened. But you should be excited about Boston. Boston is a cool city, and you know, I'm jealous that you're going. And if you're flying out tomorrow, you know the game is tomorrow, so then you'll have like, you know, it works out good because you got Friday to get there, get settled. Don't know much about any tailgating situation there in Boston, but I have been to Chestnut Hills and beautiful area. I mean, especially this time of year. I would imagine I went and it was it was winter time and it was still beautiful. But you know, it's it's just outside of Boston, and you know, again it's it's it's a nice place. But like there wasn't a whole lot of enthusiasm about Boston college sports when I was there. But yeah, you've got all day Saturday to explore Boston. Maybe you're staying on how long you're staying. But I hope that you and whoever you're going with, I would assume your family. Hope you guys enjoy yourselves. And I mean, I think Louisville is gonna win. I just you know, I'm I'm well aware that they could lay an egg and lose, and and they've kind of you know, they barely gotten by in both of the ACC wins they have. So if this one ends up being the same way, I mean, I think that would probably be what we you know, should have seen coming. But maybe they give us their best performance of the season in a game that we didn't expect. And if you expect that, then then you know, why would you you know, I get it. If you want to just assume your team's going to bounce back, I mean, that's that's a good way to get excited. Right, Let's let's be highly anticipating watching our team play and expecting them to come out and really put together a great game. Like so if you if you take that mindset, I mean, I get it. I just you know, I feel like, for me, I'm gonna base it off of like what I what I've seen and the results that we have this year. And if they did come out and play a clean football game that didn't include some mistakes that are crucial that you just can't make. I mean, you never want to make mistakes, but nobody's gonna be perfect. But like if they came out and played a really clean game and they dominated in one big That would be the first time this year that they have done that against you know, legitimate teams. And not to say they're legitimate, meaning Boston College is great, but I mean, like they're not Austin p and Jacksonville State. So enjoy yourself in Boston. I went to Boston one time, and I have a story to share that I often share when I talk about my trip to Boston, but like it's not a good story, it's just embarrassing. So I went in twenty twenty. In fact, it was January right as soon as I got back from Boston, and then I think it may have been like the third or fourth case of coronavirus was reported in the country and it was in Boston, and I remember being in the airport not knowing while so many people were already wearing masks like from other countries, like I got in. Boston's one of the biggest airports in the world. So gosh, it seems like it was so long ago. But what was embarrassing about my trips. I got there and at that time I was on in the mornings, so I ended up traveling in getting in at night, went to the hotel that night. It was late, ended up doing like a walking next door to get something to eat, and then went to bed, got up early from the at the hotel and did my show, and then Louisville played that night, so I had after my show ended at ten am, I was gonna have all day to go explore Boston, you know, have some fun and enjoy myself. And after the show ended at ten o'clock, I jumped in the shower, got out of a shower. I think I called my wife or something, just to like, you know, check in, let her know I was in Boston. And then I laid down in the hotel and I slept for like seven hours and I woke up and it was like an hour before the game started. So I had to get an uber to Chestnut Hills from where I was staying. And then I came back to the hotel that night, got dinner, and then you know that was it. Woke up the next day, did my show from the hotel, took a uber to the airport and left like the full the full day that I had to like explore Boston. I took a fat nap, took a fat nap that I wasn't planning and didn't want to take and it you know, that's that's my trip. Like I remember telling that story. It might have been like my mother or somebody and they were like, God, that is such a you story. And I'm like, yeah, you're right, like that's that's that's that's kind of something I would do. And you know, now I gotta make Now. I got to find a way to get back to Boston so I can, you know, and oh and not just sleep, although the hotel must have been really comfortable, because I never nap like that. All right, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital. I'm sure you know all about them. They've been around since nineteen eighty taking care of your pets for forty four plus years. That are open twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year, including Christmas. Because they know emergencies happen, and when an emergency happens with your pet, you want to act quickly. Right. It's it's a part of your Your pets are part of your family. They are family. So it's I'm sure you're gonna panic. I would too, but just know that they're there for you so you can always rely on them. I mean, you don't have to just rely on them for emergencies. It can be you just want to get your dog or your cat or your pet checked out because you have it. They haven't had a check up in a while. So it's Jefferson Vets dot com. That's the website to get more information, or you can give them a call. If fivebo to nine hundred pets again, it's Jefferson Animal Hospital Quick break. We got the five o'clock hour coming your way. We'll finish strong here, So hang out. Why would you not what else you got to do? Don't answer that. Don't looking for other things to do. I shouldn't have asked the question. You may evaluate your situation and find something better. So I'm just gonna I just need you to trust me. You have nothing better to do. The only thing you need to be doing right now is be locked in with us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So stay put.
Speaker 1: M HM.