Speaker 1: Cool. It's the Opperman Report.
Speaker 2: Join digital forensic investigator and PI at Opperman for an in depth discussion of conspiracy theories, strategy of New World Order resistance, hi profile court cases in the news, and interviews with expert guests and authors on these topics and more. It's the Opperman Report, and now here is Investigator at Opperman.
Speaker 3: Okay, welcome to the Opperaman Report. I'm your host, Private Investigator at Opperman, and this show is brought to you by pscoco dot com. That's pscoc a dot com. That's Phoebe Sod's chocolate website. Phoebe Sod is an independent curator with the Coco Exchange. It's a registered trademark of Mars Incorporated. The Coco Exchange is formerly known as Dove Chocolate Discoveries. Everybody knows Dove Chocolate's Best Chocolates and Macath Gourmet Chocolates, and they make the finest, silky smooth chocolate because the products start with the best cocoa beans, which are tested for quality and flavor by expert Mars technicians. They don't just hire some guys out in front of home deep boat to pick these cocoa beans. They got technicians doing this. The Cocoa Exchange offers not just premium chocolates, but anything from sauces and spices to brownie and cake mixes, and even coffee and martini mixes. And we all love our Martinez here at the Opperaman Report. Now, if you wish to treat yourself or someone you'll love to a sweet and tasty gift, then the Cocoa Exchange is the brand for you. You go to pscoco dot com and you click on the shop now button and you can shop right now while you're listening to the show and put in your order. It'll come in the mail and a couple of days you have a whole stockpile of gourmet chocolates. You can also go into the cocoa business, the chocolate business with Phoebe Sad. Just click contact us and they'll sit you up with your own website and you can make some money selling not coco, but sell it chocolate. Okay, we don't want to give the wrong impression here, all right, really excited about today's show and I just screwed it up right. We got with us here John O'Rourke and his website is John Eoorwork dot com and you can find him on Instagram at j O R. Author on Instagram. And he contacts me out of the blue and he says, hey, man, you know I heard you talk about the one of my publishers, you know. And he says, I wrote this book about Richard Beganwald. Okay, And I said Richard Beganwall. I met Richard Beganhall. So the book is called The Jersey Shore Thrill Killer Richard Beganwall, and it's by John Owarke. And there's gonna be a link in the Operaman Report bookstore and also on our Facebook and all that kind of stuff. So, so, John, are you there, Okay? Still got your mute?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 3: Johnny you're there, Yes, John, mute this? Sorry? So tell us about yourself, John, who is General Roy?
Speaker 1: Well, thanks ed first for having me. I appreciate it. I started as a new Jersey State trooper back in June of nineteen eighty five. From there, I went up patrolled the rural mountains of Sussex County. State Police up there are responsible for several counts. So that was the start of my career. A created lasted twenty six years with a number of assignments, mainly in the uniform that's what we call in the State Police, the field operations, some what we call plane clothes. It becails along the way. Ended up becoming a squad supervisor and running a squad of ten troopers for a good decade or more before moving on to headquarters, which was located down in the I don't know if you're familiar with New Jersey, put down by the Arts Center. They opened up a new State Police facility there and I was instrumental in providing the security recommendations for that facility. And it was towards the end of my career that I decided to write a book on the Jersey Troopers who died in the line of duty. So I spent a good six years researching what I had planned to be a book about the Troopers, and it turned out to be two books. To the publisher of the History Press liked the idea. I wanted to go with it, but they said it was too much for one book. So first book was titled Jersey Troopers Sacrifice at the Ultro Public Service. That came out just the last year twenty ten, the last year that I was with the organization. So it was actually a pretty good you know entry, I should say exit for me from the organization. I paid tribute to the troopers who died in the line of duty, and I retired a year later, and then the second book came out after that, And so since my retiring in February twenty eleven, I've been working as a security consulting I run. I'm directed security of a high end private country club, so I do private club security. And in addition to that, I've been writing two books. One is a true prime book and the other one is a fiction book. And the Jersey Sure Throw Killer was I guess it came out in twenty fourteen, so yeah, I guess I was doing that shortly after I left.
Speaker 3: It's been out for a while. Then, Okay, how old are.
Speaker 1: You I am? Jeez, fifty four?
Speaker 3: Me too, Yeah, I'm fifty four. I'm going to be fifty five in November, and I can't remember reading. As a matter of fact, I'll be fifty five or September. I got the month wrong's you? It's amazing how your memory starts to go. So, okay, it's really cool. Now, while you were a cop in the Jersey State Troopers there, did you have any connection with the Bigland Wall case round antime.
Speaker 1: No, I did not. I came on in eighty five and bigger wall case didn't really crack into January eighty three with the discovery of the body of Anna Ossouritz in Ocean Township. Okay, so it was it was just three years prior to me becoming a trooper.
Speaker 3: Right, So then give us an idea. Who was Richard bigan Wald and his crimes and how did this guy get started?
Speaker 1: Richard bigger Wald was a problematic individual almost from the get go. As a small child, he had displayed a lot of mental issues that at first the family kind of dismissed as just a problematic child. But as time went on, his mother sought out some medical help for him, and it was it was determined that he was a schizophrenic. And uh so he spent a lot of time in and out of mental institutions as a child. He from a I guess when he was around fire or so, he had tried to set himself on fire, and so he was starting to display some problematic signs that you see in these type of individuals that go on to become become serial killers. He had a fascination with death. He showed cruelty towards animals, and he was just a he was just a problem individual from the get go. But he was also a very bright individual. I had the opportunity to speak with his defense attorney, who Diamond, who knew him better than anyone and spent a considerable amount of time with him, and he said he was the most intelligent any of them met. So really, because.
Speaker 3: I've met no Diamond sure plenty of times, I take that as an insult. I think I'm a lot smarter than Vegan World. I can't even have to call him up on that one.
Speaker 1: Well that is that is funny. But yeah, and well, Luke Diamond got connected with Richard biegi Wold. What happened was in December of fifty a being a walled committed his first murder. It was it was a robbery, uh that didn't go wrong, as you know, don't. I don't want to give away too much of the book, but if you read the book, he actually he actually had an intent to uh to push his his fantasies to the next level and take a life, and it happened. It happened in December of fifty eight with the killing of a man called Stephen Sladowski, and Bigger Ward was sent to life in prison with the possibility parole for good if he if he you know, acted accordingly, he'd get out on a good behavior a number of years down the road. And even uh Slinowski's widow actually had pleaded for the court to have mercy on on a young BigGAN Wald. So that's sus the stage where a Bigger World is in in Trenton State for a number of years and had opportunities to speak with prison guards that actually were there with big and World while he was in prison, and in the beginning he was problematic and you know, did what he did what he had to do. He had to established himself in order to survive with and you know, the confines of a prison. But when it got to the point in time when he realized he wanted to get out and uh you know, on parole, he started to conform and act a certain way, which was he had he had foreshadowed that years prior, when his mother hadn't committed to the the Boys Club in upstate New York, where he was very problematic there and actually tried to escape from there and got a whole group of individuals to organize this, this massive escape. But once that went awry, he realized that he had to in order to get out, he had to perform, and he ended up. He ended up performing, got out. They put him a mainstream school for a few years, but he soon dropped out, and that was the segue towards his first murder. But you know, fast forward, he's in prison, he realizes it's once he's at the point where he's starting to become eligible for parole, he starts becoming a model prisoner, and then he gets released.
Speaker 3: But you started chelling that story because you're you're going to describe how he got connected to lou Diamond.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that reads up to his release. He gets released, and then about a year or two later, he picks up a hitchhiker, a young woman early twenties, fair skin, dark haired, dark eyes, which tended to be the woman that he was attracted to. Picks her up hitchhiking, and somewhere during the travel, she realizes this is not right. Something is really bad. She goes with her instincts. Unlike the other victims that you'll read about in the book, she follows the instincts and she jumps out of the car and flees. She gets away, she notifies the police. She gives a description of him. He was an individual that had read a share well you know you met him and he had these blue eyes. So she thoroughly describedes bigan World. This happened in Staten Island. The Staten Island authorities for outs catch the super figure. It's Richard Biganwald. He is on the run for a few years. He gets caught up at a at a raid in New York City and gets arrested Lou Diamond. That's how Lou Diamond comes into the picture. Year that I'm sorry, what year was that? Oh, you're testing my memory now with my narrative worth about seventy five seventy six when he when he commits this, this is not a woman and they authorities had it down as an attempted rape. Lou Diamond is sitting in his office in Staten Island one day he gets a call. Now he's very upfront, he's he gets a call. He tells me it's a call from an organized crime figure. The figure. He won't mention my name, but he says it's an organized crime figure. Asking him to represent Richard Bigenwald. He says that bigan Walled is working for him. This is this is the organized figure that's on the phone and is a good guy who doesn't throw anyone under the bus, and see what you can do for him.
Speaker 3: Now, did a Diamond I would tell you off the record who this guy was?
Speaker 1: No, he didn't.
Speaker 3: Oh really, okay, I'd love to find out.
Speaker 1: Okay, and quite frankly, if you told me in confidence, I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Say an.
Speaker 1: So that's that is how he got the connection to beagon Wall. But that also will align later on in the story. As the story unfolds, how through his conversations with his client, Diamond comes to believe that bigan Wald is working with organized crime as a hit man. And although the victims that the authorities will eventually come to know that are bigger Walds, there are many more, according to the Diamond, that are out there.
Speaker 3: Very interesting.
Speaker 1: Did you find out if this we have that connection this.
Speaker 3: Organized crime figure? Do we know if he was from Staten Island or from Brooklyn? Do we know what family he was from?
Speaker 1: Again? It was well, it was from Staten Island and lu Diamond had represented a number of people, uh that were you know, with with uh, you know, criminal groups on the island. The particular group I don't recall, but even Lou Diamond has a relative and I can't think of his name right off the bat, it's in my it's in my narrative that was an organized crime figure as his godfather. Who's actually connected to the mob.
Speaker 3: Well, Stanton Eun's a very small place, especially back in the seventies and the eighties, So all your neighbors, everybody, you know, everybody knew somebody. It was such a small town back in Yeah.
Speaker 1: Believe it or not. Muth Diamond actually lived on Shart's Road and Biggerwald's mother lived at for twenty Sheriff's So they were, in essence neighbors. Never knew him until he got the call, but they were a stone throw from one another.
Speaker 3: Very interesting, that same home where they found those bodies buried in the basement.
Speaker 1: Right correct, in the basement in the backyard.
Speaker 3: In the backyard. See because when I'll tell the story now real quick, because I was at that home with Began Wald and some guys from Tennessee. They were bringing some marijuana up from Tennessee and I was there meeting with them, and we used began Wall's house and also a guy from Stanton Alley named Pete Peaches that I've talked about before. Pete Peaches Stenistrude, which was he was a driver for some of the families in Stanton Island, so he knew everybody and a big, big guy, six foot five. And in the middle of all this, I didn't know began Wold at all. And I don't remember him having red hair. I don't recall that. It's a long time ago, you know. And but he starts waving around a shotgun like a joke, you know, and he was just doing a lot of wacky stuff, well erratic behavior, you know. And as we were leaving, he did this thing out the front entrance. There was a little patio area that was walled in and there might have been a bench there, but it was a little garden type area and he waves his armors around because he was a very erratic and frantic that day, and he goes, this is where we bury the bodies, you know, as a joke. And we just kind of chuckled and we want to get out of there, you know. We just chuckled and left and then years later I found out from Tom and Pete. Yeah, this guy was a serial killer and had bodies buried at the house. But did they ever check the front? Do you know?
Speaker 1: Well, you know that's funny that you that he said that to you, because yeah, he wasn't joking. He actually probably buried out there. But the interesting thing when I asked James Fagan about this, there was a little bit of a power struggle that I talked about in the narrative between New York and New Jersey, and New York was very uncooperative. Uh So once they got the bodies, Jersey went Jersey officials went over the river. And he doesn't know James Fagan on whether they actually ever dug into the basement, he doesn't believe that they did, so from my understanding, the authorities never uh never went into the basement.
Speaker 3: Really, so then they could have dug in the front where he was mentioning, we was joking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what happened in the past is big the world is known to have buried a body in a h I think it's the point point pleasant in his appointment, and they had point in point pleasant he had buried the body temporarily uh in the basement and eventually moved that body. So he is he is known to have buried bodies in basements, but they never looked at the basement at the mother's house.
Speaker 3: The brand He's also known to move bodies too, so he could have had him there for a little while and moved them. My god, what a fascinating And now now I don't we call him being like a big, strong, tough guy either. He's was he short.
Speaker 1: Hexactly, I believe it around five five or nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he didn't strike me as like a guy that was a particular threat or except for the shotgun, you know, but other than that, he just seemed like one of the guys because and Pete was so big and giants, such a big giant guy. He shadowed everybody. And the guys from Tennessee were kind of like my height. They were kind of like hippies, Vietnam Vet type guys, and they would all smile into when he was waving the shotguns, and no one took him serious. We immediately interpreted as a joke.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think I think that kind of that also kind of made it easier for him to uh to meet and greet his victims. He wasn't He wasn't an overbearing type of man. From what I've spoken with people, he was very pleasant. He could be pleasant, and he wasn't intimidating whatsoever. So the young, you know, his young victims didn't too intimidated buy him at all. But those that doctor know him and knew that, you know, he didn't he didn't joke around. So like James Fagan joked that, you know, he got the impression that if Big Old said I'm going to kill you, he wasn't a joke. It wasn't just a you know, a statement. It was a fact. He was going to kill you. And there was a couple of witnesses that had actually witnessed the execution, people that lived in his apartment in as Perry Park. They actually had witnessed the murder of William Ward out there was a struggle that took place outside and Big Wall shut the guy in the head, and they did not come forward at all because they were just in fear that they would be next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting. I could see that too, because you know, all those guys are pretty serious guys, the ones that I knew, and I'm sure he you know, all those guys on Staten Island was so serious back in those days, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and well, you know it's fine, that's you know, to go back to the bodies that you say about transition. Yeah, I suspected that the two bodies that they did find, it was Maria Chillella and Deborah Osborne at the mother's house in Staten Island, that they were just buried there temporarily. They was three or four feet down. They were dismembered in bags and I believe that that was a temporary holding spin until he can move them.
Speaker 3: How did they come about to catch money these serial killings?
Speaker 1: What happened was in January of nineteen eighty three, a couple of kids were playing in a vacant lot behind Burger King and they discovered the remains of a female.
Speaker 3: On Stanton Island or in Jersey.
Speaker 1: This is in New Jersey in Ocean Township. Yeah, and I believe it was on thirty five. They were playing in the lot, they discovered the body and it was reported to police and that's how the police discovered the buy and it remained there was it was it was just a skeleton by the time they got it so when it got onto the news later that night into the next day, Bigan Wolf's ex girlfriend, a woman named Teresa Smith. Now he was married, mind you too, but he had a girlfriend as well, and at one time the girlfriend and the wife were living together. But the girlfriend, Teresa Smith, had broken away from Bigan Walter, but she knew that the body found in a lot was a Big Wolf's victim. At fact, he had brought the it's home the evening of her death, and he had actually wanted Teresa to to kill in the in the garage that was that was a test, so he actually had scooped and so it's up for me Asbury Park boardwalk, which is basically she was sitting right outside of the Stone Pony and took and took her home to meet Teresa with the intent that Teresa would perform the execution because they had been speaking about doing this for quite some time. I gather, although there's no proof that Bigger World ever sexually assaulted any of his victims, I gathered the relationship that he had with Teresa had some kind of sick connection to his victims, because if you look at his victims and you look at Teresa, she was very similar. She had that look. She was an attractive woman early early in her twenties, dark hair and brown eyes, so she looked just like his victims. But that's how So she's sitting there, she sees the news and she got scared that Bigger World was going to I guess terminate her because they were now we're not together, and she was afraid that he'd come after her of knowing that she actually knew and could put Big World in connection with that body in that lot. So that's how she came forward.
Speaker 3: So she went to the cops.
Speaker 1: She went to the cops, and then.
Speaker 3: Right away they pick him up to the confess.
Speaker 1: Well. It was a strange story that I talked about in the book where Theresa had a connection through a She was dating someone who knew a local police officer. And the story that she told about Richie Bigwall was quite bizarre. He had a poisonous snake in his basement that he was extracting the venom out of the snake because they were going to poison people at the Mammouth Mall. He had a variety of guns and makeshift weapons and bombs. He said that he was strucking. So it was a story that was that was so bizarre it wasn't really believable. So she had to really convince a friend to connect her with the police officer that it was actually a true story. And they met in the monoth Maul and it took a while for her to convince thee the officer who was his name was Bobby Miller, that this is actually a legit story. So they put that together, They interviewed her, they brought in the prosecutor, and then they determined that what they were going to do is they were based on the information that she provided, that they were going to raid his department at Nesbury Park. And that's that's how he he was arrested, and that's how they come up with some information and some evidence in terms of guns, the snake, the bombs that he was constructing in the basement with with a man called Darren Fitzgerald.
Speaker 3: Hey, Darren Fitzgerald, He a lie today?
Speaker 1: Well? Why RASTA checked? He was? He was living in Florida, but I was unable to to make contact with him.
Speaker 3: Really now, so did he do any time? Did he get arrested too?
Speaker 1: He did, he did some time, Yeah, but he eventually what happened was in January. I think it was January twenty second, the body found, the body is found, let me see, I think I have the date here. The body is found January fourteenth, and the Burger King parking lot. On the twenty second they great Big A. Wald's apartment and then the case still is dry. The only thing they haven't connected with is Anna's death, and they're coupled with the witness Teresa's testimony, so they have nothing to go on if not for Derrel Fitzgerald coming forward two months later, actually a couple of months later, in April, second week of April, he comes forward saying he'll give up additional bodies, one where he helped big Wald bury the bodies for a plead deal because they were charging him with the murder of anner as well I know. And his his account was that he, oh, he did, was helped begging Wall bury the body. He had no involvement in the murder.
Speaker 3: Wow. So this guy Fitzgerald, he was working on his bombs, he was working on a snake poison deal, all this stuff. He's helping burying bodies. But they let him out of prison. He's out walking around living in Florida. Yes, Wow, do we know how many years you got?
Speaker 1: I don't. I believe. I believe I mentioned that in the book, but I'm not sure right off the handle, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Well, give me an idea, like over ten years? You think, what was it? Something that it strike you as being in a long amount of time or short amount of time.
Speaker 1: I think he did. I think he did ten years.
Speaker 3: See, you know, I'll tell you something. The guy who was bringing the pot up from Tennessee, Tom Tom McMahon. He went to prison for possession of maria on it down in Tennessee. I think he got twenty five to life from marijuana and okay, digging up bodies, moving around with snakes and bombs and stuff like that. This guy's walking around, well, you.
Speaker 1: Know, you're right. I made a lot of arrests as a trooper, and a lot of drug arrests, and they do come down very hard, believe it or not, in Jersey with with drug defenders that I've seen get you know, considerable amount of time longer than that. But yeah, he was out within within tent. But he also helped, yeah, recover a few bodies and close a couple of cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Tom tried to help make a couple of cases too. I didn't think it worked out too well. Let me take a commercial break here with John O'Rourke and his website is John eourke dot com where you could find these different books. You got a book about the fallen New Jersey State Police officers dying in the in the line of duty. But the book we're talking about today is called The Jersey Shore thrill Killer. It's about Richard began Wall fascinating stuff, all this Snton Island stuff that really gets to me.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you can find him on Instagram at j o r Author on Instagram. Uh do you post a lot of selfies there on Instagram on page John?
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't, but I feel both, you know, some pictures of me and I. I manage it, but also I have my my son helps me with it as well, because he's in the he's in the Creative Seals, so he kind of helps me along.
Speaker 3: Your son didn't follow him become a cop.
Speaker 1: You know, my son is working for Worker's Studio. He didn't. He didn't follow his father's footsteps. Footsteps. Thank god, I don't. I don't have to worry about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially since you wrote those books about all those Jersey Trooper cops dying. I'm sure that's uh, that must have had some kind of effect on you, you know, uh, when you're dwelling on all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, you know it's it's funny. It did. And then towards the end of my career, my son said to me, he says, Dad, wouldn't it be funny because had a couple of close calls And he goes said, wouldn't be funny that you got killed in the line of duty? You wrote books about trip for the down line duty. And then I said, you know what, it's not for me to believe. Yea, that would be that would be ironic. So I retired.
Speaker 3: Probably would have sold a lot of books though it. Thank I get it. You got that all right. We'll be right back after these messages with more of Gheneral Rourke and the Richard Beganwaltz story right after these messages, And now a word from our sponsors. Did you know that all online first are either married, you suspect your husband and your wife, your boyfriend, your girlfriend maybe cheating on your life.
Speaker 4: Go to mail Regally dock Uhur online infidelity inuation.
Speaker 3: You take more of us that.
Speaker 1: Dad sign.
Speaker 4: You know, spani station.
Speaker 1: Or sent site.
Speaker 3: Uh oh can porn cycle the e with a trun sent the swinging sentence. Uh So check out gmail rebuildy dot com if you suspect your spouse is cheating, and check out our online infidelity investigations were and rams will the Productory.
Speaker 5: Children Company helps the rod Battles stood.
Speaker 3: Oh boy a swims a day and is a chapter on just a lot. Everybody in this book, Uh that you couldnage uh beatles Uh Jack Parson's uh e. Everybody's in here. It it's incredible. Oh and they definitely recommend the spot sires of a A bunch of sixtures in there too.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: All these people and a pick captains information ants on the bay and people I've never hurt too. It's a bunch of here jc JFC board us. But but it's great stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh. By our whole, our our count.
Speaker 3: The children at.
Speaker 1: Black Voice, the Fine cop.
Speaker 4: Doc Conaination Ford fifteen.
Speaker 1: And still on.
Speaker 3: There has been a component strawman of Arknadian check and that Uh authorities are aoy lot. You boys in those kin to the group can be dot with you could find more information about this group the sup of Canadians at Strawmanmusic dot com. You can have your ed played here.
Speaker 1: We'll let you start a p.
Speaker 3: To take the show to the next level.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 3: So you can have your advertise your ed uh blade it red live, you know like I'm doing now so artfully, or we can even a a what co little jingle boys in music and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: You have no idea how inexpensive it would be uh to have your head played on the Upperman Report on seven stations UH live Friday Night and another seven stations live on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Plus we played every day of the week in different stations, and then ard on YouTube, speaker.
Speaker 5: Ipear, radio, Time Tunes podcast not just.
Speaker 3: Potcast years and on those archives you your ad would play in Deathite Forever. You also get a little banner on operamoveports dot com.
Speaker 1: We lunching on the air.
Speaker 3: You will GI you on the air and offens stuff. It's sponsor opper move.
Speaker 5: We have an opportunity to get this show on a major AM from station in California. You've been food so if you want to sponsor us into that H so incredibly inexpensive that that your ad would be heard by a The range covers five million people.
Speaker 3: One population where your ed would be broadcast and all these other stations would be thrown.
Speaker 1: In for free.
Speaker 3: So really a portable crisis. Get a copy of my book. How could become a successful draft? Copy of that book? Before you're going to a private books by Amazon? Don how could become a successful in private?
Speaker 1: Let's day fight at opera?
Speaker 3: And this book has been updated a little bit from the previous book that we had.
Speaker 1: To walk.
Speaker 3: Okay, welcome back to the Opperman Report. I'm your host, Private investigator Ed Opperman. We're here today with John O'Rourke, who is a former New Jersey State trooper retired. He wrote the book The Jersey Shore Thrill Killer Richard Beiegenwald. John, before we get into the trial, and I think that there's a lengthy appeal on this case too, if my memory serves correct, Because one of my professors when I was at the Congress Stan Allen was Eric Gansberg, and he said he worked on this casey ghost wrote everything, and Guy's breaking about everything all the time. But what caused you to be attracted to the Richard began Wall's story.
Speaker 1: We know It's an interesting connection here to why I chose Bigan Wall. I'd written two books about the Safe Police, and when I had submitted my first proposal to a publisher, I did a couple of different publishers, I publishing company in southern New Jersey, and then the History Press came along, so I ended up taking that. But the connection that I had with Plexus came to a friend. And I had spoken with a friend that you know, I never followed up at the individual. He was very nice. I probably should have said, you know, thank you, I appreciate your consideration, but and I didn't. I did nothing. There was no correspondence for about a year. So I said, hell, you know that I didn't throw write about that, And she's like, he's a great Can I just send it an email? You know, he's a publisher, sent them copy of the book, and you know, and well, mong story short, that person and I became friends. So we're having lunch one day and we're talking and I said that I wanted to write a book on history. I love the Revolutionary War, so I'm thinking about writing a book about the Revolutionary War. And he said to me, he says, you can't do that come on, And I said why. He says, he wrote two books about true crime, meaning to state police stories. You need to stay in that niche to get yourself established. You just can't change. You got yourself a publisher, You have twenty six years of experience that many true crime writers do not have. And he says, you need you need to take that momentum and move forward with it. So it took me a good year because I wasn't passionate about writing about true crime at all. Uh So when I started researching, I started doing about you know, serial killers, and every book that I looked at had Richard big Wall's name in it. Some was just a reference to others would have paragraph and others had a few pages. So now I said, let me see if anyone had ever written anything about the man, and they never did, so there was no books that were published about big and Walt. So then I said, that's a great that's a great book to write on. So that's how the Richard Biggerwald narrative came came about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he didn't make a lot of even press back then. You know, there was press about it, but it wasn't like a big deal on the news every night on the ABC and NBC and stuff like that. The local Stand Island paper had a lot about it. Now did he confess at all or he foughted a trial?
Speaker 1: Well, this is another This is another interesting story that I found about when I did the research. What happened was when he got arrested. Now he would he would not commune, uh cooperate whatsoever, but he did not want death penalty. And the prosecutor, a man named al Laire, who was known as Hollywood Al because he always always getting himself in the paper. He would he teach his apartment what presscut the sources was doing. And he was always meeting at the press and letting them know. So that's how he got the name Hollywood Al. He pursues death penalty and Bigger Wall. According to Lue, Diamond was afraid of the death penalty. He did not want the death penalty. So, believe it or not, this man was taking liars, but he was afraid of death. So what happened was Bigger World approaches Diamond and says I will give up a number of bodies in order to take the death penalty off the table. So there's a little bit of a discrepancy here on the number of bodies. That's that's interesting. Rue Diamond, a defense attorney, claims that it was twenty five bodies that Bigger Wall was going to come forward with if they would take the death bounty off the table. James Fagan, the assistant prosecutor, remembers it being seventy five bodies. Really, yes, So you know, either way, it's a considerable amount of victims that this man, you know, was responsible for. And believe it or not, that Mom's County prosecutor turned it down that he wanted. He wanted to pursue the death county, so he didn't. He didn't take the plea bar pargain. So Diamond, you know, to this day, is very upset about that because he says, now, his goal wasn't to get to get Bigger Wall found not guilt. He knew the man was guilty of sin. His goal was to get the death penalty taken away and get you know, getting a life sentence on hus That was his goal. And it was a perfect opportunity to close those cases out and put some closure to families, and it wasn't. It wasn't taken by the prosecutor.
Speaker 3: So how many bodies was he convicted on six or something like that?
Speaker 1: Right? He was, He was convicted of killing six, But we know that there's a few other people that he was responsible for.
Speaker 3: Amazing, No, I know what about this other guy, this guy of Fitzgerald, anybody ever talked him about these other bodies.
Speaker 1: He was only involved with the helping to bury the bodies of bigger wolves, what they call the thrill killings, the women. The one that wasn't a thrill killing was William Ward who was executed on the front yard of the Ferry Park home. That was over a drugs dispute gone bad. And as you know, because you worked a case involving a drug deal with with Deagan Wald, it went bad. Fitzgerald was it was actually in a physical confrontation with William Ward, and big Walls simply walked out the door and put it twenty two next to the guy's head and pulled the trigger.
Speaker 3: What kind of drugs? What kind of drugs was it?
Speaker 1: You know, it was actually the drugs. I don't know specific a rund of drugs, but this was a drug deal that had already been completed and the argument was over the money. The argument was over the money. How much money that they were going to have. They were going to divide up the money.
Speaker 3: Now, how did he get a hold, how did he was How was he able to retain Lou Diamond? Did he have money to retain him or was Lou Diamond appointed by the court.
Speaker 1: Lou Diamond was obtained through Big Wolf's father left him considerable amount of money over one hundred thousand dollars excuse the phone for the hand in the background, over hundred thousand dollars. So that's how he was able to have Blue dominant in his attorney.
Speaker 3: Okay, and they got a conviction on him because of Fitzgerald came in and testified against him. That's the only thing they really had.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, they had the bodies that were produced as a result of it. So they had his testimony and then they had the bodies. They had the pirchical evidence in the house, They had the twenty two that had had the forensics came back that the bullet used in the killing of Anosolits came from the twenty two that was recovered in being the Walstu appartment.
Speaker 3: Wasn't there like a secret room too, analysts?
Speaker 1: They had a secret passageway that went from the living room down into the basement.
Speaker 3: It's like a full time, you know, just working on this for a full time. It's just blows my mind.
Speaker 1: Now, he was he was not your typical serial killer because most serial killers. His thrill killings were all that was the serial killer part of the man that he His girlfriend described it as it was him. He would he would act like a woman on PMS. He would be, you know, all miserable and he would have to go out and commit a thrill killing to feel better. That's how she described it. So the other killings were all methodical. That none that we know of, other than John Patron, who was shot when they were practiced they were shooting, uh, and he executed him. But the way that body was recovered was done in such a poor way by the prosecutor's office that they could uh proceed with that conviction.
Speaker 3: But now, and by the way too, this wasn't his first murder conviction, right, He had a murder conviction when he was a young man in Tennis, I think, right.
Speaker 1: No, he killed his first victim, Steven Shlodowski, in December of nineteen fifty eight in Bayonne.
Speaker 3: And he got out of that. How many how many years did he do on that? Seventeen seventeen years? This guy does, But yet he can come out and have all these guns, a convicted fella and carrying on these firearms galore. Did he have any minor arrests like duy s or domestic violence or possession charges, anything like that and little stuff?
Speaker 1: The only thing that he had was that incident where he was accused of picking up the eat shaker and trying to sexually astall her.
Speaker 3: Fascinating. Now, what about was it a lengthy is my memory correct? There were lengthy appeals and all this. What were they trying to rid? The death penalty? I guess to him, well, there was.
Speaker 1: He got found guilty and he was he got the death penalty, and the appeal process was all about the death penalty, which ultimately was taken away and he got less from prison.
Speaker 3: Okay, and did a whole diamond.
Speaker 1: Diamond and his team achieved the objective?
Speaker 3: Did he ever mentioned the diamond ever mention the name eric Ansburg involved in any of us?
Speaker 1: That doesn't sound familiar to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I sent you the link to the guy. Now that very interesting. Now, what about his time in prison. Was he up to his death?
Speaker 1: Uh? He was. He was a rower. He he established himself very early on. No, don't don't, don't. Don't forget that. He spent seventeen years in Trenton State so when he when he came back, there was still some some lifers there that knew knew the man. So he had established him self a reputation. For those individuals that didn't know who he was, he uh, you know, he would he would show them in a very brutal way who he was. He spent a lot of time in solitary confinement.
Speaker 3: Really okay, and then he died of natural causes.
Speaker 1: He eyed of cancer. He was every chain smoker and.
Speaker 3: I guess back then, you'll smoke in prison, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so yeah, I spoke with I smoked with one of the prison guards who said his cell it looked like it was it was, it looked like fog and so much cigarette smoke was in his cell.
Speaker 3: Is there anything I've forgotten to ask you that you want to add to the story.
Speaker 1: Just it's amazing how if not for his girlfriend coming forward, he would not have been he would not have been caught, even though that was probably not prudent of him to dump the body where he did. He did it at a time during the summer where the weeds were high, so it wasn't it wasn't discovered until the winter when everything had thinned out. Uh. But there was nothing, There was no evidence left that would really pin point any one to who he was. So that's what's amazing about it that he was that brilliant that he was able to kill these these victims without without anyone being able to tie any evidence back to him. And my speculation is ultimately Kitzgerald would have been would have ended up a victim. Wow.
Speaker 3: And these these these are the murders of twenty five to seventy five bodies. Now, were those murders that then he disposed of the bodies too, or were they like just hit and shoot them and drive by and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of things. Diamond says that he was told by Bigger Wall that what he would do is he would test these weapons out. They had recovered in the apartment cigarette lighters that had been converted over to twenty two caliber guns that actually worked, as one was actually shot off in the apartment by mistakes of someone trying to let a cigarette believe it or not. So, Diamond says that he would he would practice making these weapons and then what he would do is he would go into the city and he was shoot prostitutes. Really and he said he would then the other the hints that he would do, he would dump in the in the pine barrens and and off Sandy Hook.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: And in addition to that, he Diamond was sent while bringing Wall. This is after his conviction and his time in prison. Yet for the for the serial killings, he was sent a manifest bel confessing to certain not confessing I misspoke there, talking about in vague terms about all these bodies that are missing on milk cartons, these victims. He came up with numbers the number of people that are missing. Uh, these are the that are shown on milk cortans and that are never never found. What do you think happens to him? And he alluded to some organization, uh, selling body plots overseas, killing people and sending the body plots overseas. So Diamond believes that he was involved in that in that business.
Speaker 3: Really, so he was involved in kidnapping little kids and harvesting their organs. To ship overseas.
Speaker 1: That's what Being the World had alluded to to Diamond and Diamond to this day belief that that's the case.
Speaker 3: When's the last time we talked to them?
Speaker 1: Thout a year and a half ago.
Speaker 3: Okay, very interesting. I wasn't aware of any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's an interesting story. But you know, one of the one of the frustrating plarts about my research on this says he never spoke about his killings whatsoever, and those people that knew about it weren't wrong for this earth. So that's why there's very little known about the men, and he didn't want to talk about it. There was an opportunity HBO had approached on New Diamond about doing a special on Richie Biganwall, and he didn't want to have anything to do with it. So he went to the grades with his methodology and how he killed his victims and how many victims you know he's responsible for. No one will know.
Speaker 3: Fascinating stuff, my friend. I can't thank you enough. And you're sending me a book, right all right? Yeah, okay, yeah, I can't wait to get it. I can't. If not, I was just going to order it, Okay, don't do it.
Speaker 1: There's one in the mail.
Speaker 3: I cost you one sale. Okay, sorry, seven pm. Now you're going to be at the Long Branch Library in Long Branch, New Jersey giving a presentation on this.
Speaker 1: I am, yes, excellent.
Speaker 3: I encourage people to go out there and check that out. John eowurk dot com is the website. You can find him on Instagram. He has all these selfies on there at J O r Author and the book is called Jersey Short Thrilled Killer. Richard Beganwalt, John, thank you so much, my friend. I really appreciate this. I really appreciate you finding me and reminded me of all this stuff. It's been a real uh uh excitement, you know, and bringing back these old memories and I'll live in the old days.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, thank you. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: Okay, good night, good night. Okay, they got John O'Rourke the Jersey Thrill Killer. Richard Beganwald. I told you a story by how I ran into began wold. It was I wasn't worried about it because I Pete with me there. Pete was so loyal to me. Pete was at six with six and three hundred pounds and uh, he would never let anybody harm me in any possible way. So then when I saw Tom laugh and I knew there was no problem. But there was another incident we had. It might have been the same day, who knows. I think I told the story about Pete Peaches, the guy I loved. Then Pete was in and out. We just called Pete Nut because he was in and out of the South Beach Psychiatric Center. He had this ID card if he got a rest of for anything. They put him in there and let him in a couple of days. I got so many stories of the table on list. But there was another occasion where we were meeting Tom from Tennessee and his friends from Tennessee, and we Pete was driving.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Pete had this old beat up car, you know, and so you know, we had to do our little meeting there and we can come back out and we're trying to be you know, low key, we keep a low profile, you know what to noticing us. And we come out and there's Pete the Nut, running around in a circle in the parking lot of his apartment building, screaming at the top of his lungs. Because while we were upstairs. Pete had the car was overheating, so Pete undid the radiator cap and all the steam came out and burned his arm on the side of his face and his shoulder. The guy, you know, he showed me, you know, you know, we left immediately, you know, to go take him someplace and holds him down. Uh, this big wild man, but you know, and he showed me his scars later on, there's all these thirty I had to take him to the hospital. Man's This is a wacky crew, you know. And I told the story too in the past too about how I had that dynamite and the guys who brought up the dynamite were the guys from Tennessee too. They were the ones that were bringing up the dynamite from from Tennessee, which which I really saved my life one time because I was in a car with these the Brooklyn Colombo family guys who were into extortion, extorting people and stuff like that, and I took the opportunity to see if they wanted to buy any dynamite. And after that they never bothered me. It was just lunatic with the you know, I had to sell dynamite you know, up in Staten Island, in Brooklyn, it wasn't a common thing like hey, unless you were began Walld. I guess a couple of funny stories about Lou Diamond. One time we had a friend who needed an attorney. And because I was a paralegal and a private investigator, everybody knew knew all the lawyers of Staten Island. They came to me and they need an attorney. So, okay, you know, we'll send you over a Lou Diamond. Okay, he's gonna take care of you. We had our our friend call Lou Diamond, make the little introduction there. Sure you have your friend come down, I'll meet him by his case, and uh he's Blue Diamond starts yelling at the kid, telling him to get a haircut, and throws his paperwork back out of him. Says, go get a haircut and then come back. And uh, you don't remember, Blue Diamond was the best man at my lawyer's wedding and they were the best man for each other, you know. And these are powerful lawyers on standout right now today they forget it. You know, I can't only imagine what kind of stuff they can pull off. These days. But back in we have powerful lawyers. And so our friend who went to see lou Diamonds go, Yeah, you know, he cursed me out. He threw the paperwork at me. You know, he tells me to get a haircut, get out of his office. He goes, and then he comes around his desk and he's wearing a suit and a tie, you know, and a jacket and suit pants. And I look down at his feet and he's weren't he had no sock. Sonny's wearing flip flops on his feet. No explanation. We don't know what that was or why. But that's that's a true story. Okay, one more I got for it. It's not funny, but just to give you an idea of some of the wackiness and the craziness and from them. My childhood on Staten Island is I had a friend in high school named Louis la Castro, and you can look that up, and he can look up his name. And Louis married this woman and I guess she had a little bit of mental illness or something, and they had a couple of kids, and she was pregnant but wasn't showing. He didn't know she was pregnant. They get on a plane to fly to California. She gets up, she goes into the the lavatory, the bathroom on the plane, and she gives birth there on the plane, and she takes the baby, the newborn infant, and shoves the baby into the trash container on the plane to get rid of the baby or kill the baby or whatever. Goes back to a seat. Ax that come up and happens. I guess some people saw traces of it as they found the baby. Who knows what happened, but I believe the baby did die, okay. And lou Diamond was the attorney for that case from my friend Louis l Castro in that so, you know, involved in a lot of stuff, a lot of cases I worked and stuff like that. He was involved in, of course with my attorney and Erica who claimed Eric was my professor at the college, stand Allen who claimed that he did all the appellet work. He goes through all the pellet work. But who knows. He was always bragging about stuff, fascinating stuff, fascinating times.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 3: You know, you know I could go on, I could tell you this stuff for hours about this. I know people like to hear it, but I really didn't enjoy. John o'arke brought back a lot of memories from He just contacted me out of the blue, really weird. His website is John eowork dot com. You can find his book on Amazon, The Jersey Shore Thrilled Killer Richard Beganwald. Maybe I'll write a book about began Wall and I'll throw in my stories about him. It wouldn't mind that I had no idea about these twenty five bodies, of these seventy five bodies, but I think that Pete would know because they all knew each other. They all knew each other well, and there was no secret. But everybody was doing Everybody was all up to kind of shenanigans and doing all kinds of stuff. So I can't imagine that some of these killings were a secret from Pete. But what are you gonna do? Life goes on. If you like today's show, Okay, we go to our member section Operamanreport dot com. There's much more content in there. People like the Jeffrey Epstein stuff. You know, pretty much the first guy started talking about it on the air when I was when I wanted to do my first Jeffrey Epstein show. I looked around for a guest. I couldn't find anybody who was familiar with the topic. Who was I went all over YouTube? And now you think everybody knows about them. Everybody's an expert on the case. Now they all experts. Okay, no, good for you. Got a ton of stuff in the memory section by Epstein search warrants. I got the twenty four page letter where Epstein's attorneys say that Epstein was the creator of the Clinton Foundation. Okay, how many times you hear that in these oh I pedophile island who Lolila Express? Everybody wants to talk about that crap, but the real details. No one wants to talk about advertising opportunities. Right now, at Opermadreport dot com, we're about to get on a big station in California that covers a span of five hundred and five million people. Okay, the reach of the signal. Great opportunity to get in now and get us on there and help a sponsor that. You can contact me at operaman Report at gmail dot com. If you like what you're hearing and you just want to send a donation, you can pay Malpan and donation at Oppermanreport at gmail dot com. I'm trying to get this a hernia operation. So I shopped around. I found a discount hernia guy. You got to meet him in a and the the Ben's room at the rec center then, and he does it in there. But otherwise I think he's a legit. He seems legit. He's got a stethoscope and stuff. He only wants fifteen hundred bucks. So I need a herney operation. I want to send me a donation, man, i'd be nice. Fifty five years old. I gotta get this stuff fixed. And I got some teeth, teeth work, dental work, and he done, which is like a minimum of fifteen hundred bucks. But if I don't suck it in stuff now, it's gonna age me quickly and I won't be around here in five ten years to regale you with my tails of airline passenger murderers and serial killers and dynamite dealers and all kinds of fun stuff. All right, guys, thank you so much. I enjoyed doing a show for you. Oh tomorrow I'll be talking to this woman who was doctor. I think it's Michelle Steven who was placed in a cage at eight years old and abused by her mother's boyfriend, her husband stepfather for like ten years. Will that be fun? I'll talk to you Margus. Goodnight,