Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on DEBS Costs Radio.
Speaker 2: Nicall, thank you very much, as always, welcome on in everyone to a Tuesday night edition of Nightside. Here for four hours of conversation with you and other Nightside listeners. Remember this program is not the Dan Ray Show. It is Nightside with Dan Ray. I want to hear your viewpoints, want to hear your ideas. Feel free to call this program know that you will have an opportunity to express yourself again. Looking for conversation, not looking for speeches per se, but conversation and all points of view are welcome. Just get into a conversation and we'll have a We'll have an interesting night, and maybe at the end of the night both of us, you and me will know a little bit more about a couple of items or two. Again, I'm Dan Ray. I am the host of Knightside with Dan Ray. Rob Brooks is the producer of Nightside with Dan Ray. And we also, of course have Marita McKinnon also aka Lightning, who works during the day setting the program up along with me during the day and later on this evening we are going to be talking about the continuing strike at three Massachusetts Community the teachers strike at three Massachusetts communities. We will also talk a little bit later on tonight about a couple of articles of the Washington Post, a couple out of the Boston Globe where people some people are thinking about leaving the country because of the Trump reelection.
Speaker 3: We could go tonight.
Speaker 2: Matter of fact, they were just beginning to all the polls were closing a week ago tonight.
Speaker 3: A lot has transpired in the last week, so we'll get to all of that.
Speaker 2: We will also remind you if you were Paul and you picked our if your number on you picked Donald Trump as the winner on our Monday Night prediction a week ago Monday Night, and you chose three one hundred and fifteen electoral votes, you are the winner of a night side tote bag. Those of you who want to look at the nightside tote bag, I believe they're posted now, just produced by our friends at college hype nightside and demand great Christmas gifts. But before we get to all of that, Paul called Rob and get all the information that Rob needs to get so we can get you your prize. Congratulations. We'll announce that a couple more times tonight. In Paul, if we don't hear from you. We're going to have to move on to the second place. Finish as simple as that. Well, we have four topics of really I think really interesting. The first one is exceptionally interesting. You've heard the phrase you've turned lemons into lemonade. Well, we're not talking about lemons. We're talking about dirty diapers with Brett Stevens. He's the senior director of Reworld, a waste management company that could be helping all of us turning dirty diapers into electricity. Brett Stevens, I have no idea how you do this, but love to get a little bit more information from you. You've teamed up with a local mass daycare provider.
Speaker 3: Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Sure, First, thank you for having me, and secondly, you are right. This is a very interesting story. Normally, parents at home, you know, they generate a lot of dirty diapers when they have babies.
Speaker 2: And the parents the babies generate the diapers. Let's make sure we're clear on that it's not the parents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. So babies generate a lot of dirty diapers when they are young. Parents tend to throw them in the garbage at home, and then normally your local garbage company will haul that material to a local landfill. And many people don't know this, but diapers are made of multiple different materials from adhesives to plastics to absorbents, and those materials do not break down in the landfill. So it could take five hundred years for a diaper to decompose. And we've read some statistics from the EPA to say diapers are the number three waste stream in US landfills today, so quite a bit of them sort of rotting away over time.
Speaker 2: We're talking about after you die five hundred years legacy.
Speaker 4: Wow, go ahead, Yeah, and we are, we're running out of landfill space here. We're kind of behind the times compared to Europe. And so my company, Reworld Waste operates about eighty percent of the waste to energy or thermal destruction capacity.
Speaker 5: In North America.
Speaker 4: And we partnered with one of our national customers, Kimberly Clark, which owns Huggies diapers and a local day care facility in Boston and Bright Horizons. We're doing a six location pilot program. It's been running since January of this year, so we're there.
Speaker 2: We're in a highl aer just so it's p I l O T like an airplane pilot. It's not a pilot p I L E. I just want to make sure that they would clear on that.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 4: And by pilot, I mean that this is a test program up there, stereo.
Speaker 3: I just want to pay. We're not talking about piling it up anywhere. Go ahead, go.
Speaker 4: Ahead, correct, correct. And so we've partnered with Huggies and these local Bright Horizons daycare facilities. There are six of them in the Greater Boston area that are participating, and we have a special kiosk at each of these sites to specifically put diapers in instead of the normal trash, and we use a subcontractor in the local Boston area to do milk run style pickups at those six day care facilities multiple times a week. So those diapers are collected, they are brought back to a local waste management facility where the material is sterilized in an autoclave. It's a machine that combines steam and pressure to kill bacteria, help with the smell, all the things you would want to do with a dirty diaper.
Speaker 2: Kiosks with it deposited, and then they're moved. Okay, got it, okay, fair enough?
Speaker 6: Correct?
Speaker 4: And so the diapers do not sit for more than a couple of days at the most before they are emptied out. And then those diapers end up getting sterilized at a local partner of ours in the Boston area, and then we ultimately deliver a full truckload of that material to our haveril the thermal treatment facility in the Greater Boston area, and so that material gets commingled with municipal waste, normal garbage that comes in from the municipalities, and it enters our boiler where it becomes a fuel to create electricity. And so all of those diapers, along with all the other waste that we collect, is incinerated or thermally treated, which heats up our boiler systems of water. That water becomes steam, that steam enters a turbine, and that turbine creates electricity out to the New England Tower grid. So we're actually putting the diapers and other waste materials to good use. And so far through the pilot program this year, at just those six stores, six locations, we've collected over thirty three thousand pounds of diapers. That's over sixteen tons of diapers, and those sixteen tons of diapers have created three mega loot hours of electricity. So for your listeners who don't know what a megawatt hour is or how to measure what effect that has, those three megawatt hours of electricity could power five homes for a month in the Boston area. Okay, so we're sending go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just saying that's a lot of work, okay.
Speaker 2: And in the article that I read here, there's also some families out there who are going back to the old, tried and true cloth diaper.
Speaker 3: We have a woman who calls this show who.
Speaker 2: Makes a diaper run every night, Donna the Diaper Lady. Well, that's true, that's true. Donna is one of our regular callers. She's probably listening right now. What you're doing is that people have obviously have made the switch from cloth diapers to disposable diapers, but you have highlighted a problem and you're trying to turn you know, lemons into lemonade here, you know, diapers and whatever used diapers uh into power for the grid, which is really interesting. Is this being done anywhere else in the country or are you guys, is this a breakthrough with your company?
Speaker 3: And here in New England.
Speaker 4: I would say that we may accidentally receive diapers for municipalities that send their waste to us, but this is a very this is a you know, on purpose program that we are collecting only that material from.
Speaker 5: These facilities, and.
Speaker 4: To my knowledge, we're the only company doing this in North America today and it's not happening anywhere else in the country yet. But we do hope to expand it with our partners.
Speaker 2: Well, Brett, I know I was using a couple of puns there, just to lighten the like we say lighten the load here, but I shouldn't say that the bottom line I shouldn't say that either. What I'm trying to say is this seems like a great program. Obviously, it's not like you're powering Manhattan for a month with the diapers, but it's a step in the right direction. And I hope that as this expiands or as you get some others. I would assume that there are probably some investors out there who might like to take a look at this program. Am I being too optimistic when I suggest that?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think you're being too optimistic. I think this does have legs. But yeah, mke no, mistake. Well, what we're doing right now is an improvement over the material sitting in a landfill. But the holy grail, the holy grail would be if the diapers were not single use and disposable and made from multiple materials. I think down the line, we'll probably get to a point where these diapers can be collected and recycled in some way, where the content can be used in a variety of ways. Maybe the plastic outer part of the diaper can be recycled, whereas the inner absorbent material could be used for some other kind of traded I think we're maybe a year or two away from that, But that's the holy grail.
Speaker 2: Okay, how can folks get more information? Give us a website, how they that can get in touch with you. You never know, we can have some venture capitalists who's listening tonight and says, hey, that's a great potential investment, or people just might want to get more information.
Speaker 3: Give us a way to get in touch with you.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 4: Our company is called Reworld rw RLD and you can reach us at reworld waste dot com. You can learn a lot about our facilities where they exist. You can learn about thermal destruction of products and the benefits of that. We we of course would love to chat with anyone that wants to reach out.
Speaker 3: And how long has your company been operational.
Speaker 4: We have been operational since the eighties. Uh Oh was previously known as co previously known as Covanta. You may know the name Covanta, but we've recently rebranded earlier this year to Reworld because we've acquired a lot of companies to complement our core business and we are now a total waste solutions company.
Speaker 2: And to end, Brett, thank you very much for your time. Thank you very much for your innovation. And I hope you are on a fan that I tried to just lighten it up a little bit.
Speaker 4: And no, of course, thank you for having.
Speaker 2: A great project. Thanks, thank you, Bret. Brett Stevens of Senior director of Reworld. Thanks Brett, appreciate it very much. We'll have you back.
Speaker 4: Thank you, bye bye, have a great night, and.
Speaker 2: We come back when we talk about the new Philharmonic Harmon Excuse me, I shouldn't say phil Harmonic, the New Philharmonia Orchestra. If you are a music lover, you are going to love this next segment. Later I'm going to talk about sober comedy night and also find fall splendor at seven New England beaches from Maine to Rhode Island. And then we'll get to the talk portion of the program.
Speaker 3: For now. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside.
Speaker 2: To listen to WBZ ten thirty in the am Bustin's News Radio back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back going to talk about a little bit of music here, actually quite a bit of music music. The new follow Philharmoniamonia Orchestra, beginning its thirtieth anniversary season with us. Is the music direction of the new Philharmonia Orchestra? Have I pronounced that correctly? Jorge Soto?
Speaker 5: Yes, perfect, new Philharmonia, Yes.
Speaker 2: Harmonia, Okay, I always think it's going to be Philharmonic. I know why did they change it? Tell us about why is it called Philharmonia as opposed to Philharmonic?
Speaker 3: Is there a reasoners there is that? Are they synonyms?
Speaker 5: No, it's just the name of it. It said, there's a it's a name. You know, you have symphony orchestras, you know, Philharmonic, you know Boston Symphony, Boston Philharmonic. You know we play with these names, but that's name, you know, I gotta get Look.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they said they spell the Red Sox s O X why they don't say Red Sox s O c K S. But that's you know. Those are the sort of the questions you have to deal with in life living here in New England. So tell us about the orchestra. This is a huge ensemble. How many members are in your orchestra? I saw some pictures. It looks like two football teams.
Speaker 5: Yes, we are around I guess sixty five members.
Speaker 3: You were saying a football team and a baseball team. Fair enough. How does someone become a member of this orchestra?
Speaker 2: I guess you actually have recitals and personal interviews. But I mean, you're all set for this year. Don't get me wrong. When in case someone you do not have to.
Speaker 5: Open you what we're always looking. We're always opening email us, have a little audition and just get in, you know, play with us, have a good time.
Speaker 2: Okay, So these are these are they're not professional musicians in the sense that you don't tour around, but everyone how far you're based in Newton, right, correct. Okay, But you don't have to live in Newton to become a member.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, it's a community orchestra.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: Community orchestras are mostly musicians who make a living by doing by having other professions. So we have a bunch of doctors, lawyers, you know, accountants, you name it. You know, teachers, professors, and so they have a different job. But they played instruments when you know, when growing up, and they just want to keep on playing. And a lot of them, some of them have even undergrad in music, you know. But a lot of them are very talented. So all of them are very talented. And no, we sound fantastic.
Speaker 2: And is your home base or you perform at the Grace Church in Newton center? Is that where the concerts occur?
Speaker 5: Correct? Grace Episcopal Church.
Speaker 3: Grace Episcopal Church.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I know that you have a performance coming up on November twenty third and twenty fourth.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then you have one actually at the Brown Middle School in Newton on the fifteenth of December. And then you have two concerts on March first and second, and May third and fourth. All all of these take place somewhere in Newton, am I correct?
Speaker 3: When I understand to understand.
Speaker 5: That yes, yes, this performances coming up in November, as you mentioned, are will be at Grace Episcopal Church. The March performances and the May performances will be at the same church, the Grace Episcopal Church.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And the one session then is the one on December fifteenth at the Brown Middle School.
Speaker 5: Correct, And then we'll be doing a Cracker with the Boston Boston Ballet. It's a beautiful event for families.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, that sounds great.
Speaker 2: And these are high quality musicians. And I'm looking at the picture. It's a great tableau of men and women, all sorts of backgrounds, different ages, and it is it is clearly a very impressive looking orchestra. The amount to talent that exists within the community, sometimes it's underrated. The number of people who again are you know, have become musicians at one point in their life or have maybe always been musicians. It's it's wonderful. How much do you folks have to practice every year? Is this you know? Something that really is involves a commitment for several months every every.
Speaker 3: Fall and winter.
Speaker 5: Yes, we rehearsed. We have about seven rehearsals in preparation for every concert. So up to November third, No, we have met at least seven times, you know. And it's a lot of work. And besides that, all of us work at home during the week and prepare for these rehearsals. Yes, it takes a lot of work, but we enjoy I think, simply are We love doing this and I believe we bring a lot of joy to the town of Newton.
Speaker 2: Thirty years. This is your thirtieth anniversary. Will be a very special year. And I know that you have been with the orchestra for how many years you were the music director and you've been with them. You're now the music director, but previously you were in other positions with the orchestra.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 5: Correct? I started in two thousand and seventeen as an assistant conductor to the main conductor. Then I became the principal conductor, and as this past September, I became the music director. And yes, I've been around since twenty seventeen. And by the way, we're also it's going to be a beautiful this November concert, special concert because we are celebrating one hundred and fifty years of Newton as a city and the new to the Mayor. Mayor Foller will be joining us in one of the pieces. She will be narrating a wonderful piece by Copeland that has that the text is a compilation of Lincoln's different speeches. It's going to be it's going to be quite quite celebratory in nature.
Speaker 3: Well, poor hey, best best of luck.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a wonderful season coming up for the New phil Ammonia Orchestra beginning its thirty thirtieth season, with the two performances coming up November twenty third and twenty fourth at the Episcopal the Grace Episcopal Church in Newton Center. And I assume tickets are available. What is the website people can can go to to get some tickets.
Speaker 5: It's new feel dot org.
Speaker 2: I like that it's easier to spell new phil any w p h I L dot org. Congratulations, congratulations, thanks for being with us tonight, Hoge the music direction my pleasure, my pleasure. When we get back, we're going to talk about a different sort of celebration, a sober comedy night presented at the Hope Center coming up on November twenty first, We're going to talk with Norfolk County Sheriff Patrick McDermott, an old friend, a very funny comedian Steve Sweeney, back on Nightside. You'll get a few chuckles out of this one, for sure, and there's also a serious message to boot.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm delighted to welcome two guests. Very rarely do we have two guests at the same time here on Nightside. Norfolk County Sheriff Patrick McDermott and a friend of many years, one of the funniest people I know, comedian Steve Sweeney.
Speaker 3: First of all, Sheriff McDermott, welcome back. How are you tonight?
Speaker 8: I'm doing great, Dan, thanks for having me back again. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You bet you' Steve. Always a pleasure to have you here. A nice sight. It's been too long. How have you been doing, buddy?
Speaker 6: Oh good? I would amend your introduction one and a half guess, one and a half guess because I'm grieving. I'm grieving. How do you like these colleges they're taking days off for grieving. You know who should be grieving is the parents that are paying for these kids.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Do you have a safe room community colleges not grieving.
Speaker 2: Where's your comfort blanket? Do you have a safe room and a comfort blanket?
Speaker 3: All I can.
Speaker 6: I'm waiting for my call from Trump to be the ambassador to Aruba. Anyway, Hey, before we get started, I really want to say this, Dan. Every Friday night, I'm coming home from a gig and I listen to you and I love it, absolutely love it. And my favorite is the last hour. It was a few weeks ago, the last hour you were gonna do. Uh, you're doing meetings with famous people and that's really.
Speaker 2: Rushes, rushes with celebrity, brushes with celebrity.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, next time you do it, I'm gonna call in.
Speaker 2: Well, you have met so many celebrities in your life. I mean you'll be We could do an hour with you one brushes with celebrity, that's sure. The a absolutely as we call the good, the bad, and the ugly, simple as that. But anyway, we're gonna talk about a sober comedy night. Sheriff McDermott. Here's your headliner, Steve Sweeney. You can't do better than that. Tell us the purpose here it's presented by the Hope Center. Tell us what we're trying to accomplish here and then we'll have some fun.
Speaker 8: Tell us what we're gonna I'm truly blessed in the Norfolk Sheriff's Office.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Part of my vision about being Sheriff of Norfolk County was focusing on re entry, rehabilitation and the reduction of recid rates. And we opened back in April a brand new re entry center called the Hope Center, And the Hope Center stands for Healing, Opportunity, Purpose and Engagement. And this is an opportunity for folks who are re entering society from the House of Correction to be more integrated into the community. And we focus on a holistic approach to mental health, substance use, counseling, job training, educational opportunities, job placement. The Hope Center is a one stop shop for those people coming out of the Norfolk County House of Correction, but it's also available to generally the public at large who might be falling on hard times. So the Hope Center is presenting a Sober Comedy Night with all proceeds to benefit our nonprofit and so Cares. And we're very blessed to have Steve Sweeney. You know, most people know Steve Sweeney as a very successful funny the godfather of the Boston comedy scene. But what I see is a compassionate, loving soul that wants to give back consistently. Steve is a member of the Norfolk County Sheriff's Office team. He works with our inmates. He works with the folks who are down on their luck who want to get back on their feet. Steve works in the Plymouth County Sheriff's Office as well. So while you see Steve Sweeney as a funny comedian, which he is, his heart is in the right place when it comes to taking care of people that want to better themselves. So the Hope Center is launching this Comedy Night with Steve Sweeney on November twenty first Thursday Night, seven to nine pm. If you get your tickets early, we're going to be selling this out. Two hundred tickets are only going to be sold. You got to go to NSO cares dot org. We have a heated pavilion down in Braintree at twenty fifteen Washington Street. Come one, come on, Steve Sweeney, Chase Blain and Jack Lynch are gonna light it up that night.
Speaker 3: Noaich So have you given Steve a badge and a gun?
Speaker 8: We're still working on.
Speaker 2: That, Steve, this is this is good news is.
Speaker 6: I'm that's very nice of the sheriff to say that stuff. But I do have an ulterian motive. You know. My dream when I get into this business was to play at a heated tent in Braintreet, you know, and uh, yeah, I took the Anthony Robins course and my dreams come through. Yeah, I'm badgine a gun. You're a wise guy, Dan, you know I'm from jobtown. That wouldn't be appropriate.
Speaker 3: There wouldn't be a safe bank in America at that point.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I would.
Speaker 2: I would show up as a character witness and instead of getting life in prison, you get three consecutive life in prison. Trust me on that. Okay, Uh, what else are you doing? How much are you moving around? I mean I got to get you back on the show. We haven't had you on.
Speaker 6: Oh you know what, I'd love to come right in the middle of I love it, you know, I used to. You know you sometimes you interact with the audience and let's say, where are you from? You say Brighton. I'd say, oh, you're putting on airs. You're from Austin, but uh yeah, I'm working around and doing a little I did a fantastic movie in Thailand actually a few years ago, called the Greatest Beer Run Ever. Its great cast Russell Crowe, Bill Murray. I just did another short film Saturday, and I do the stand up and I got my own little club in Quinsy at the Fox and Hounds. So staying busy. Dan, you know, I'm pretty much happy that the election's over. I'm I just sleeping kind of. You know, that was pretty pretty much. You know, It's funny how people are about this thing. You know, I got friends that don't talk to each other and the whole thing. But you know, I'm happy. Before Dan is Tim Wall, the guy ran for VP. Yeah he went back back to the job and as hardware. Oh yeah, you bet Youah, yeah, you're looking for three Philip Head screwdriver and three penny nails. Oh yeah, you bet ya. He was a yeah, he's a car.
Speaker 3: He was a character. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I thank god he didn't shoot himself with that shotgun. That's the one thing that often I think there was blessed.
Speaker 6: And then the other guy they're raiding your dogs, Oh my god, lot of.
Speaker 2: Friends of mine, A lot of friends of mine sent me some of these great memes of pictures of their dogs watching that, and the dogs were terrified.
Speaker 3: I mean they understood what he was saying.
Speaker 2: None of them were going to Springfield, Ohio, absolutely, some of them thought he was referring to Springfield, Massachusetts, which is also another story, Steve. Great to hear you wet. You gotta get you on some night we'll get.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I'm so happy to partner with the sheriff on this. It's such a great cause.
Speaker 2: So well, a lot of people, a lot of people are going to be helped here, shaff give us that website one more time. You kind of rented by us a little quickly there, Let's get it one more time.
Speaker 8: So go to www dot n as a Nancy n s o cares dot org.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, here's the tip that www thing. You don't need that anymore, just dot com, simplest time.
Speaker 8: Fifty five years old, Dan, I'm still doing the Www. Getting used to it.
Speaker 2: I'm older than you, and I got rid of it about twenty years ago. I couldn't quite second. I felt like I was I felt like I was daffy duck. Or something saying www, something like you no, no big deal.
Speaker 3: Stay sweety.
Speaker 8: We'll get together soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks right back at you. Thanks you great, great cause, looking forward to it again. The date on that one, Sheriff, it's the what's the.
Speaker 8: Date please, Thursday, November twenty first, seven pm, twenty fifteen, Washington Street in Braintree.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, guys. We'll talk soon. Everybody appreciate it. Wrong, great cause, my pleasure, Steve, Thanks Jariff. When we get back, we're going to talk about fall splendor on seven New England beaches. You didn't want to be on a beach today. It was chilly out there. We're gonna be talking with Alison to Baldy. She's a contributing writer for USA Today, and I think we'll have some disagreement over them.
Speaker 3: Any beach in.
Speaker 2: New England is beautiful, you know, in in October, in November, a little tough in December. But we'll talk with Allison on the other side of the break. Always great the chat with Steve Sweeney and Sheriff Vic Deermoy coming back on Night's side right after the break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Sight Studios on w b z TO News Radio.
Speaker 2: Joining US now is Alison to Baldy. She's a contributing writer for USA Today and she's the ten best local expert. Allison, this sounds like a sweet gig you got going here.
Speaker 7: It is, Dan, I love my job.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you do.
Speaker 3: I'll bet you do.
Speaker 2: And so we're going to talk about fall splendor at seven New England Beaches.
Speaker 3: Are you from New England originally? Per chance?
Speaker 7: Or no? It looks to me like, you know, I'm not Dan. I have a lot of family in New England, So I grew up visiting grandparents and Marblehood and lots of family in New Bedford. So although I am a New Yorker, New England is in my heart.
Speaker 3: We're not going to hold that again. She trust me on that.
Speaker 2: So, so you're you're recommending seven New England Beaches. Was this a piece that is for a Boston paper or was this in USA Today?
Speaker 3: I know you're a contributed to USA Today.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's actually was in USA Today And then you know, so it really was geared to a now audience. Yeah, because I you know, I think, of course New England Beaches are world class and I think they deserve a national audience.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, I'm very familiar with New England beaches. I'm within probably two hundred yards of one right now.
Speaker 5: As a matter of fact, Oh good.
Speaker 3: On that beach yesterday. It's on the Nantucket Sound as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: An interesting fact. You're a traveling food writer based in New York City. You have lived in Rome, Tuscany, Melbourne, Australia, Toronto, and Los Angeles.
Speaker 7: That is so true.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you've written and published for places like CNN, Travel Channel, HGTV. You've had really quite a career New York Emirates, Open Skies, Family Traveler, and you look like you're about twenty one. How did you get all this done at such a young age, Allison, Well.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you I am definitely not twenty one, Dan, But thank you, I'll say the compliment. Yeah, you know, I've had a good gig going and I you know, I love to travel, so it's really a great fit for me. I love to travel and I love to share share my travels with people.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about the New England beaches. I used to love to travel.
Speaker 2: I worked as a TV reporter for a long time and it was always fun to travel, but travel lately has got tough for me. But that's another story. Tell us about the seven beaches that you're recommending here, and I'm familiar with some of them, and they're all great beaches that you.
Speaker 7: Yes, well, it's well, they are all great beaches.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I could have I picked seven beaches, but in truth, I think there probably would be seventy beaches in New England that would be well worth the trip. I'm a big fan of Hampton Beach in New Hampshire. I just think it's such a classic. I'm not sure if you've ever been up there.
Speaker 6: Yes, I have, Yes, I have that boardwalk.
Speaker 7: You know. I've been going there for you know, since I was a young kid. So it just has that you know, kind of old fashioned seaside vibe. And I think in the fall it's just gorgeous because it's gotta you know, it quiets down considerably so you can really, you know, take a moment and savor and appreciate the natural beauty of the beach when you have a little bit less of the you know, kind of diversions.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Old Silver Beach is very close to where I am right here, in Falmouth. That's a anabulous beach. I think most people in New England at some point have been up to a gunkqut main beach.
Speaker 3: In a gunk WoT right.
Speaker 7: Yes, I do love Algunquet. I think it's gorgeous and I mean, yeah, Falmouth, the whole cape is beautiful. One of the things I really do like in the Falmouth areas. I'm a I love to cycle, so I'm a big fan, you know of the of the bike path that they have there, the Shining Sea Bikeway. It's a very you know, it's it's perfect in autumn. I feel like, you know, in summer it can be awfly hot, but you know, autumn is really a great season to enjoy the beach and kind of beach adjacent activities too.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the one that caught my eyes when I'm very familiar with Mosh Beach. I call it Filbin Beach on Martha's Vineyard where they have the mud baths.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been.
Speaker 5: Das it's really fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and it's again, I mean, it's so it's so you know, they're all so different, you know, I think those you know, the cliffs are so amazing and it just feels very remote on that side of the vineyard, you know.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that is the they called the.
Speaker 5: Quinna Quinna exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I see here Easton's Beach in Newport, Rhode Island. I'm not familiar with that, but it looks beautiful, huh.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 7: It's really beautiful.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: One of the things I love about Easton's Beach is you're really like right in Newport the cliff Walk. You know, you can see it right above and you know, if you kind kind of you can access the cliff walk and I think it's about a two mile trail and you can, you know, see the mansions and it's kind of you know, it's a very beautiful beach. But it really is almost an urban beach, I would say, because you're just so close to everything in Newport. So yeah, that's a favorite of mine.
Speaker 3: If you want an.
Speaker 2: Urban beach, you could have thrown Revere Beach in here, but I think you might be a little more beautiful than Revere. There's one in Madison, Connecticut, which I'm not familiar with.
Speaker 3: Tell us about that one.
Speaker 7: That one Hammond Asset is you know, it's a wonderful year round beach. But especially in fall because it's not an ocean beach. It's the Long Island Sound, so the water kind of stays a bit warmer. I mean, I was there about two weeks ago swimming. I mean, I'm a little bit of a polar bear, so I admit, you know, not everyone is going to want to take a Halloween swim, but you know, the water stays warm. It's just gorgeous. There's like wooden boardwalk trails and beautiful foliage, you know. I mean, of course, the coastal foliage is not quite like inland foliage. You know, it's not those burths of like reds and oranges.
Speaker 5: It's more of a subtle.
Speaker 7: Kind of color palette. But it's just a beautiful one. I'm a big fan of Hamon Asset, and I would say it's pretty much equidistance between New York and Boston. It's about two hours from both cities, so it's a you know, I go there in the winter. It's a great winter beach.
Speaker 5: I snowshoe.
Speaker 2: There was a sunset on the cape tonight which I've never seen. It was the most spectacular sunset.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, around five o'clock.
Speaker 2: And the last beach that since we're going to hit all of them, we'll hit them all. The number seven is out a wildlife refuse in Nantucket. Never I'm not familiar with this beach, but it looks beautiful.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's very beautiful. You know what I love about about the wildlife refuse beach is, you know, it's there's mile of beaches there, but there's also you know, dunes and tall beach grass and heather. There's a big maritime oak forest, so it almost is like a state park. I would say, you know, it's not technically, but it's just very massive and it feels really like otherworldly. It's it's just gorgeous. It's you know, and of course Nantucket in fall is just absolutely beautiful, one of my favorite places.
Speaker 3: So a little a little.
Speaker 2: Less crowded in in November than it would be in July or Auguste's for sure.
Speaker 7: Definitely.
Speaker 2: Dan really enjoyed the conversation and the more I read about your fluent in Italian, Uh, you have that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I took some I led some listeners to Rome and the Amalfi Coast this summer and oh wow, back in Italy for a while. But it was it was a beautiful trip, little warm.
Speaker 7: Little warm hot weather. Now, well it's a pleasure. I'm a big fan of yours, Dan, so it was a pleasure speaking with you.
Speaker 3: Right back at you, Alison Tobaldi.
Speaker 2: And again, get out if you get a chance before the snowflies, and enjoy one of New England's beaches. Take a walk. That's all you have to do. Thanks so much, Alison, and I hopefully have you back with us soon. Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Dan. Take care the good night you too, talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: All right, go take quick break here.
Speaker 2: We're going to come back when we talk about what's going on up at the strike in three Massachusetts communities. I think you know them by now, Beverly and Gloucester and Marblehead. Nothing much has changed. No school tomorrow for any of these school systems. These strikes, these teachers remain on strike. I want to talk a little bit about this. I made some suggestions last night. I want to clarify, make sure all of you understand. I'm putting on a proposal and I want to see some members of the legislature support it. Because I came up with the idea. I think it's a core even though it was mine I don't have too many great ideas, but we will be back. This is a great topic, coming back on the other side of the nine here on Nightside