Speaker 1: Hello, everybody. This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope with Rick Warren. I'm really glad you're here today. We're continuing our series from Psalm twenty three called Living in the Goodness of God. It's all about how God's goodness meets you right where you are and brings hope even in difficult seasons. And let's join Rick right now in the final part of a message called why you Don't need to Fear the Future.
Speaker 2: You have opposition in your life. There's some people who don't like you. There's somebody who's gunning for your job. There's somebody who just doesn't like you because of what you believe. There's some people just they're mean. They just their opponents. You have competitors. These people generous people are confident, fearless in facing their opposition. Because they give generously to the needy, they will have influence and honor. I want you to hear a testimony of how instead of choosing worry and complet you choose generosity and gratitude in your life and what it does. These are miracle working attitudes. Give a warm welcome to Phil right now. Well, Hello is sattle Back Church.
Speaker 3: I'd like to share my story about God's goodness and the power of gratitude. Like many other couples in our church family, for several years after we were married, my wife Connie and I tried unsuccessfully to start our family. We really wanted to have a baby, but it just didn't happen. We prayed, we waited on the Lord, and we tried literally everything. With each year passing we became more frustrated and discouraged.
Speaker 2: Well, we knew the.
Speaker 3: Promises of God, but our experiences seemed to contradict those promises. You know, truthfully, there were many days and sleepless nights where we felt hopeless and really just wanted to give up. I want to tell you, if you're currently in this situation wanting to have kids but not seeing any way that it might happen, Conyie, I understand your pain.
Speaker 2: Well. As the childless months.
Speaker 3: Turned into years, we could have easily given into Satan's temptation to become bitter and to just throw in the towel, to give up believing in God's goodness and mercy and just walk away from running the race with Jesus. But we didn't do that.
Speaker 2: We did not give up believing in the.
Speaker 3: Goodness of God, and we chose to take specific steps that demonstrated our faith in God and our trust in his perfect timing. First, we began just to simplify our lives, both spiritually and financially, to prepare ourselves for the hope of becoming parents. We wanted to remove just any hindrances or barriers that could prevent us from keeping our lives solely focused.
Speaker 2: On Jesus regardless of what happened.
Speaker 3: One of the things that we decided to do was to have Connie stop working at her job. This would lower her stress, but it also was a visible demonstration of faith. Second, we decided to sell our house. It was a big decision and move into something smaller so we could afford to live off one income while paying for the very expensive infertility treatments. We would do whatever we could do while trusting God for what only He could do. You know I stand here today honestly I wrested with the feeling that we were moving backwards financially in order to move forward towards our dream of starting a family. But during this time of trusting and waiting, God led me to a verse in the Bible as he often does about praising God and being grateful for the good things that God had already given to us.
Speaker 2: Isaiah twenty five, verse.
Speaker 3: One is a bold statement both of gratitude and faith, and it's where the Lord directed us. It says, Lord, you are my God. I will exalt you in praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful and good things, things planned long ago. This verse really is the exact opposite of complaining and worrying and being frustrated about the things that you don't have. Instead, it taps into the power of gratitude. Well, this verse became our anchor. We would be grateful for all the good things God had already given to us, and in faith, we would express our gratitude in advance for the good things that we believed God would provide for us in the future. In other words, we would trust the goodness of God, and we would keep telling God how grateful and how thankful we were. It was our faith in the goodness of God that gave us the courage to put up our house on the market. Well, two months later our house sold and we moved into a teeny tiny, one bedroom condo, and it was at that very moment that my wife surprised me with the best news ever that we were finally pregnant with our first child. Our beautiful baby Roz was born this year on January thirteenth in that little condo, and my hands were the first hands to hold her. So I want to testify that God is good and God is faithful. And if you look up on the screen, this is from last month. This is Connie and I's first Mother's day. Obviously you could see that I outpunted my coverage with my wife.
Speaker 2: She's beautiful.
Speaker 3: God gave her temporary blindness to marry me. She's a gift from the Lord. But looking back, we can now see all the lessons we learned through all the days of waiting and delays.
Speaker 2: We often wanted to give up, but.
Speaker 3: Our trust in the goodness of God kept us going and also kept us growing and becoming more like Christ. Faith, like a muscle, only grows when it is tested and stretched. But I also want to be clear that even if we had not received our miracle baby, we would still believe in God's goodness and we would still be grateful because everything we have is a gift from God's goodness you know God has God has not guaranteed that we will get everything we want in life, but God has guaranteed that He knows and wants what is best for us, and everything He does for us is good. In closing, I want to urge you to practice the power of daily gratitude in thanking God for his goodness. As Pastor Rick teaches, gratitude to God has the power to change everything. It releases miracles, it can break through barriers, it can make the impossible possible. So I urge you to develop the daily habit of being grateful for God's goodness to you. And when you feel like something you really really want will never happen, I challenge you to decrease your doubting and increase your thankfulness for all of the good things that God has already done for you. Then watch what happens. God bless you Soughtobaur Church family, this is a good place.
Speaker 2: Conyie.
Speaker 3: Now are grateful for you and we love you dearly.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You know. Another study that I read shows that if the first thing you do in the morning is you just mentally go through a list of things you're grateful for, you know, make a list of ten or twelve things, and you get up, you sit on the side of your bed, and you thank God for these things. That actually starting your day with gratitude actually changes your brain chemistry. It actually transforms your mind for the better. You'll think clearer during the day if you will start your day not with complaining, not with bad news, but with things you could be grateful for. So let's do a little experiment. Okay, I dare you to do this. How about for the next thirty days, we make a commitment together that we're not gonna complain about anything. You catch yourself complaining, you just cut yourself off. We're not gonna complain about anything, and we're not gonna worry about anything. Instead, we're gonna be grateful and we're gonna be generous. You think you'd be any better in thirty days? Hello? Hello? Now here's the problem. When I say, you know, get up in the morning and make a list of things you're grateful for. Sometimes you're a little blurry eye and you can't even think about what you're grateful for. You, I thank God for my doggie that I woke up. Okay, thank God for sun and moon and breakfast and my spouse and yeah, yeah, what about all the spiritual blessings that you forget? God does for all of his goodness and mercy every day. So I've made a tool for you to use inside your program. I want you to pull it out. I made this just for you. It's called my Daily Gratitude Reminder. And if you're watching online or you're listening on Daily Hope, you can go to the Daily Hope website and get this, or you can email me at the Daily Hope website and we'll send this to you. My Daily Gratitude Reminder is a list of God's goodness to me from A to I just went through the alphabet, and what I want you to do. I filled in the spiritual side. I want you to fill in the material and relational. There are spiritual blessings in your life. There are material blessings and their relational blessings. So, for instance, you Lord, spiritual blessings. You A. You're always with me. Thank you for that. You anoint me with your grace. Thank you for that. You b you bring out the bad, bring good out of the bad things that happen to me. You bless me with abilities. See, you care about my problems. You calm my worries and fears. You call me your friend. D You designed my life for your great plan and purpose. Thank you God. E. You empower me with your spirit. You empathize with what I feel. F You forgive and forget my sins. You free me from shame. You fill my life with meaning. G You give me what I need. You guide me in the right way. You guarantee my salvation. Thank you God. H hear my prayers, You heal my hurts. You help me grow every day. Thank you God. I. You inspire me with ideas and I need some today. Lord, you invite me to depend on you. You include me in your family. Thank you God. Jay. You justify me, justify means just as if I never sins. So you say there's no condemnation in my life because of Jesus. Thank you God. Kay. You know what's best for me. You keep your promises. You keep me saved and secure. Thank you Elle. You love me unconditionally. You lift me up when I'm down. M You made me to be loved by you, and you meet all my needs. And you notice what I don't see. You nourish my soul. Thank you God that Oh you open doors of opportunity for me. You overflow my life with blessings. Pee, you protect me when I'm attacked and I'm overwhelmed, and you're patient with my doubts. Thanks Q, you quiet my mind and my heart when I trust you. Are you remain faithful to me even when I'm unfaithful to you? Are you renew me when I'm tired? S You sacrificed your son for me. You show me your mercy. You set me free from myself, not just my habit search and hang ups. But the biggest enemy of you is you t You teach me your truth or your word. You transform my life with loving discipline. You you understand my pain, you use it to help others. You uphold me when I want to give up. V you valued me enough to send a savior for me. Thank you God. W you wait for the right timing to answer my prayers. Thanks you warn me of traps. Thank you God. X. You express your favor over me as your child. Why you yearn for fellowship with me? You want to spend time with me? WHOA Thank you and ZE you zoom in on every detail of my life. You miss nothing. You can use this You can use this. Now here's what I want you to. I want you to take this, and then over here in the material you can just put ABCD give something you're grateful for, a material, physical thing. A thank you God for air. Have you ever thanked God for air? You wouldn't go very far without it? Be you could put a Bible, Thank you God for the Bible. Thank you God for all the beauty in the world. Thank you God for books and all the things I've learned. Thank You for my eyes and ears. This gave you some examples. Over under t I have thank you God for taste buds. What if God hadn't given you taste buds, everything would taste like oatmeal. Have you ever thanked God for your taste buds? Say thank you God that you created taste buds, and then you made cinnabon. Okay, And so you can where I live, thank you where you just make a list. And then over under relational, I give you a couple categories. Thanking God for your church. Under P I put thank God for pastors because I want you to thanking God for me. Thank God for us my small group. But you can just go down the list, put family members, friends, Hey, thank you God for Amy, my daughter. Thank you God for be Bobby, my mother in law. Thank you God for Claire and Cole and Cassie, three of my grandkids. And you just you can write them all down. Write that down, put it by your bedside, and the next thirty days you before you get out of bed, you develop the attitude of gratitude. It will blow your mind. It will change your life, It will reform your brain. It will do all kinds of health mental, physical, and spiritual benefits. If you develop the attitude of gratitude because God's goodness and mercy are following me every day of my life. You can do that. You can do that. Now, let me be quick on the other two things you need to do in light of these three commitments. Because God's I have to be gracious to God. I'm gracious. I have to be grateful and generous because God is grateful and generous, I mean, is good and generous with me. Now here's the next thing. Second thing. After I stay grateful and generous, I have to be gracious to everyone. Write that down. I have to be gracious to everyone because God is so gracious to me. And the more gracious you are with other people, the less fearful you're going to be in life. Grace and fear don't reside in the same brain. God wants you to pass on the good things. Here's what the Bible says Ephesians four thirty two. Be gracious and merciful to everyone. Why because God's gracious and merciful to you. Be gracious and merciful to everyone, and forgive others, just just as God has forgiven you because of Christ. God cuts you a bunch of slack. Who are you still holding on the hook. Who do you refuse to forgive? Who do you refuse to let off the hook? Who do you refuse to let go? Who do use refuse to? Just wipe the slate clean and say, Okay, you're off the hook. God was gracious to me. God has forgiven me. I'm going to be gracious to you, and I'm going to forgive you. You know what being gracious is. It's another name for love. The more gracious you are when you're gracious somebody, you're loving to them, and love, the Bible tells us, is an anecdote to fear. Next verse one John four eighteen, there is no fear in love. Instead of perfect love drives out all fear because fear has to do with punishment. I don't think God will be merciful or graceful. He's gonna punish me. Fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears has not matured in love. Every time you invite God's love in the front door of your life, fear goes out the back door. And every time you invite fear into the front door of your life, love goes out the back door. Why Because fear is focused on you and love is focused on God and others. It's gracious. Now, how do you know when somebody doesn't understand the grace of God, they're not gracious to anybody else. Ungracious people are ungrace to people. They don't realize how much they've been forgiven, so they want to hold it over everybody else's. If I don't feel forgiven, if I don't feel if I feel guilty and I feel ashamed, I certainly want you feeling it too, because I don't want you feeling better than me. But if I remember how much God has forgiven me, and I remember how much God has wiped out my guilt and wiped out my shame. I can be pretty gentle with you, I can be pretty gracious. I can let you off the hook. I can cut you some slack. Anytime you see somebody who's ungracious, no, they're walking around with a ton of guilt. You may have a mother or mother in law, or father or father in law, or a friend or a neighbor, or a brother or sister, and they can't let anybody off the hook. It's because they feel guilty. As long as they don't feel grace, they're not gonna be gracious. But the more grace you feel, the more you know you've been forgiven, the more gracious you're gonna be with other people. So I gotta stay grateful and generous because God is so good. And I've got to stay gracious to everyone because God is gracious to me. Here's the third one. Finally, to live fearlessly, to live fully and furiously. I need to live my life for God's glory, because He's gonna share his glory with me someday. Right now, you live for the glory of God, and one day you will receive the glory of God forever and ever andever. He says he's going to share it with you in heaven. How do you do that? How do I live for God's glory at work? How do I live for God's glory at school? How do I live for God's glory in the neighborhood? How do I live for God's glory with my family? Matthew five sixteen. Jesus says, this, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works. That's the key. The good works, and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven. You just try to do your best, live in for God, and he says that brings glory to God. What happens when you do that? What happens when you live for God's glory. It opens up your life to more of God's goodness, to more of God's mercy. The more of God's grace, the more of God's glory in your own life. The Bible says this one Peter one last first on your outline, Verse three. God, in his divine power, has given us everything we need for living a godly life. Because of His goodness and mercy. He gives you everything you need. You got it all to live a godly life. Now this power is given to us through knowing Jesus and the benefit he has called us to share in his own goodness and glory. One day you will share in God's goodness and God's glory. Now, let me wrap this up. When you think about the future, when you think about the next six months, the next year, the next ten years, the rest of your life, how do you see it is your mind filled with doubt, confusion, anxiety, fear, worry. It means you're not focused on In the last versa Psalm twenty three, surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and all dwell in the house of the Lord forever. It's the antidote to the three biggest fears about the future. You see, really, you have a choice. You don't get to choose what's going to happen to you the rest of your life. You don't, But you do get to choose how you respond. You can face the future as a cynic, as a critic, as a pessimist, as a doubter. You can face the future experiencing the worst and expecting the worst. You can face it being ungrateful. You can face it being stingy. You can face your future being ungracious to other people, and you can live for the glory of yourself, or you can face the future with gratitude and generosity and graciousness and the glory of God. Which one you think will make you happier? Which one do you think will make you more successful? Which one do you think will bring the smile of God and the reward of heaven. And it's amazingly how different you feel about life when you begin to live in the goodness of God and you begin to live for the goodness of God. As I said, there's gonna be a lot of events that happened in your life you can't explain, but you can face them confidently because you know surely goodness and mercy. You're going to follow me and God will bring good even out of the bad, no matter what the loss of a loved one. God will bring good out of the bad, surely goodness and mercy. And I may screw up in the future big time, but God is merciful. And I may be facing all kinds of problems in my life, but ultimately I win because I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever, and I'm going to share in God's glory one day me. Why because I deserve it? No, because He loves me. Now in Psalm twenty three, you need to hear all these messages. If you haven't, twelve expressions of God's goodness for you. But they're not for everybody. All of these things only happen. Goodness and mercy don't follow everybody. They only follow the person who can say, the Lord is my shepherd. So who's your shepherd? That's the question of the hour. Who's your shepherd? Are you your own shepherd? Who's running your life, who's managing your life? Who's the boss of your life? Who is your shepherd? If you're saying I'm my shepherd, goodness and mercy aren't following you, and you will not dwell in the house of the Lord forever. This is for people who say, I'm in the flock, I'm a sheep in God's family. The Lord is my shepherd. And when you can say that, you can say with confidence, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever. It's power heads. Some of you have been attending for months, weeks, or maybe even years you've been listening online that you've never stepped across the line spiritually you need to do so. Right now, you need to say I want the Lord to be my shepherd. I'm going to ask everybody who's already done that to be praying right now for everybody else who hasn't done that. And if you've never made that decision, say right now in your heart thank God for his goodness and mercy to you. Say, Dear God, thank you that you give me what I don't deserve. You give me good things. You are a good God. And God, thank you that you don't give me what I do deserve. You give me mercy. And then say, Jesus Christ, I want you to be my shepherd, and I want you to be my savior. And I don't want to follow you the rest of my life with your sheep dogs goodness and mercy coming up from behind keeping me on the right path. And say, God, I humbly ask you to reserve a home for me in heaven because Jesus died to make that possible. As much as I know how, I ask you Christ to come into my life and transform me. And I want to be a person who's grateful and generous and gracious and live for your glory because you are so good to me. You're so generous with me, and you're so gracious to me, and you're going to share your glory with me one day. That is amazing. Thank you in your name, I pray Amen. You know, if you just prayed that prayer for the very first time, or you just recommitted your life to Jesus again today, would you let me know about it. There's something real about sharing your commitment. So write me Rick at pastor Rick dot com and say, Rick, I prayed that prayer of commitment. I gave my life to Christ. And I'll send you some material that will help you on your journey with Jesus. And I'll also pray for you. God bless you.
Speaker 1: We're so glad you've joined us today on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Would you like to get the A to Z gratitude list that Rick talked about today.
Speaker 2: It's easy. Just go to.
Speaker 1: Pastorick dot com and click on the menu icon in the top right corner and select free resources. And now here's a closing thought from Pastor Rick.
Speaker 2: If you've been blessed by this message today, here's what I want you to do. Share it, tell somebody about it now there's a lot of great ways you can share Daily Hope. One of the easiest is by posting it on social media on Facebook or Twitter, or LinkedIn or Instagram. But you'll find a share button today next to the message on my website pastorick dot com. Don't keep the good news to yourself. It's too good to keep to ourselves. We've got to pass it on to others. Thanks for listening today and join me next time as we continue to look into God's word for our daily hope.
Speaker 1: We'd love for you to share this broadcast. Just go to Pastorick dot com. That's pastorrek dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program I'm sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.
Speaker 3: M