Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: It's time now for the Green Country Gardener Program one eight hundred and seven four nine and five nine three six. Get you out in the air. Larry Glass is with us here, and you've been out in the elements. You've been planting trees, pulling rocks and avoiding lightning strikes everything else you know how to live.
Speaker 3: Well, it wasn't that close, but it isn't enough where you want to duck away a little bit. Anyway, it's been a very busy week. We've actually been able to get some things in the ground, and hopefully we'll get back on schedule if you guys will quit letting it rain so much.
Speaker 1: Well, we're trying to move it around us. Now.
Speaker 4: There's a big old thing coming out.
Speaker 3: It looks like west of us anyway, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 3: Having rained this time, it's definitely not a curse. It's something because it is June.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: It is June, and with June we somehow get a little wetter that we do in May.
Speaker 1: Sometimes.
Speaker 3: I remember one time we were going to a Flag Day ceremony and June and big old wall cloud came.
Speaker 1: Up hose a. Can you see. Yeah, the thunderstorms coming.
Speaker 3: We had to move the ceremony inside. Oh boy, so that's pretty cool. Anyway, the rain is for the most part pretty much gone as far as heavy. I say that, but you look at them on the way on the radar to the west.
Speaker 4: Here it comes again.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: So anyway, yeah, the things are some things are just a little bit late this year. I've not seen very many back rooms yet. No has anybody seen back rooms on the Juniper yet?
Speaker 1: I haven't yet, not on mind, Okay.
Speaker 3: Good, but anyway, so I think the cooler weather has set them back just a little bit. So with that in mind, it's probably time to put down some BT to help get You know, they're there right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you just can't see them.
Speaker 4: BT is up.
Speaker 3: I still as thurn genesis, and it's a very popular microbial type insecticides, which attacks insects in their larval stage when they're munching down on your keras and cabbage and whatever and on your juniperson all that. So it's rather effective. I lived in an alice earlier where we had elm trees in the back and it got up on the roof of the house with my hose in sprayer and no elm leaf beetles this year. None that year. It kind of knocked them out. So anyway, the BT is pretty effective. You also use it in waterfalls if you have problems with the little bugs in your tooth. So, but it's good in microbial type thing. And right now you have a ground floor opportunity to control backwards by utilizing some of that.
Speaker 4: You might think of that too.
Speaker 3: It's difficult to control insects after the fact, so if you get there as they are hatching and maturing like that, they're much easier to control. And the larval stage is pretty easy with the BT, and it's very nature safe too. Okay, very good. So backworms, we'll be out here pretty soon too. Same the same kind of thing they're they're larval stage insect and the same thing works for them too. On your fruit trees right now, there are some calls for bores on there at least spot. It's a bit of a problem this year and typically something you want to be very careful whatever you apply to your fruit trees. You want something that's safe to use on fruit trees. Yeah, to see you don't have toxic plumbs. But no, so that's kind of what the bug.
Speaker 4: Thing going on.
Speaker 3: I've seen a few grub worms also, I was digging up the the r yesterday.
Speaker 4: Oh there they are. They're they're really small right now, so you.
Speaker 1: Might consider So you got some nebby grubbies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whether they're feeding real heavily right now, so you might consider getting something for that. Also, if you do have a history of grubworms, it's a good idea to dig up a square footage of the yard some place in there and just see what's going on down there. That way, you're not spending your money on something you don't really need, or you need to spend the money on something you really need. I got a feeling backworm. I mean, the grubworms are going to be tough this year. Okay, all right, and along this week the premudi grass and so as you are growing rapids.
Speaker 4: Right now the crab grass is up. Of course, you.
Speaker 3: Use quin chlor actually control the crabgrass before it gets too mature. Crab grass right now is in a fairly young stage, so it's easy to control. Once it gets real crabby, it's difficult to control.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Yeah, that's when you have to take out the claw.
Speaker 3: So I've got a front yard full of crabgrass. Yeah, but every time I think about it, it rains, so it's green. What the heck, you know? But anyway, so if you do have some craggrass, it's time to do something about that. It doesn't work. Like I said on old tough training grass. It's also time to fertilize that bermuda soction fescue. When I got home yesterday, I moved the yard believe it or not, at the planting trees all day, and I took them over up a notch.
Speaker 4: It's time to raise it up a bit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You need that.
Speaker 3: Surface area in order to for proper vapor transferation to help keep it cool. So it's just time to raise that moor up a bit too, got it, okay, And make sure the blades getting sharp.
Speaker 4: You don't want rackety edges. It doesn't look good that way.
Speaker 3: So I think I wear out more motor blades from sharpening than new cutting.
Speaker 1: Lara liked the sharp Your blades are a little thin these days. Yeah, yeah, any times you've been in here where that's.
Speaker 3: That getting hard to find more blades for a thirty year old one more or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do know how to.
Speaker 4: Take care of Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, my neighbor was speed mowing it the other day because it.
Speaker 1: Looked like it was gonna rain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clouds rolled in all of a sudden, he's out, he's running with his pushboard.
Speaker 1: It looks like Brave Heart coming over the hills.
Speaker 2: Like way, hey, easy there, it's gonna it's gonna stay west and go south.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be fine. I got caught in the last time, and I got a prairie project going on here now.
Speaker 2: Trying to mow between the rainstorms is just a that's an interesting thing.
Speaker 4: Oh it is.
Speaker 3: And the grass is kind of wet too, so you want to you want to go kind of slow. Just what has a chance to note it all choked up.
Speaker 1: And well he's got some mohawks.
Speaker 5: Out there, I bet yeah, this is the spot.
Speaker 6: No I didn't.
Speaker 4: Also, uh yeah, we're look at the color of your grass too.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: And if it's not a really dark green color or soil here, it does have a little bit of an iron deficiency, so you might want to pick your purtle. Is that it does have some iron in with it that helps darken the green color, and the grass is healthier overall if it does have.
Speaker 4: Some iron content in it. So iron.
Speaker 3: If it's not that you've been fertilizing, it's just not the color I really want. You might consider an iron supplement of Sometimes there's a product called ironite which is very effective.
Speaker 1: Do you have to power washer your sidewalk when you're done?
Speaker 4: Actually the new stuff? No, you don't.
Speaker 1: Good, that's a good iron.
Speaker 4: Yeah. They have a what's it called non staining.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, see how that goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been using it by my yard for two years and well it hasn't gotten anywhere. So I used to use iron sulfate man make my sidewalks just orange.
Speaker 4: Looks like it's like walking on a big pumpkin. But the grass share was green.
Speaker 3: The only thing they'll take that out is oxalic acid. Wow, that that sounds kind of nasty. So anyway, he's a non standing iron. It works quite well too on your crape myrtles. Now the scale insects are coming out too. They're becoming quite popular.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 3: Yeah and uh yeah, so look at them real carefully. If they're if they just look kind of punk and the bark on the crpe. Myrtles should be a tan color and if it's really darker than that, almost a blackish color. And your chances are you do have a lot of scale scale insect And that's one that's fairly easier to control. But soapy water kind of difficult to control too.
Speaker 4: But so.
Speaker 3: Anyway, systemic, pretty well, we'll keep on the control. Yeah, that's a very very effective nicko anoid makes me forget to eat. Yeah, it messes up there in the brain. It's a it's a characteristic this This chemical works characteristically for insects. It doesn't hurt mammals, apparently because people use it on their dogs too. But anyway, but it does help control insects rather well by physiologically controlling their nerve, brain and impulses. And they just I guess they kind of forget to eat or something. Seating on the lounge, share with the cigar, watching the sun go up, and do you not eating their food?
Speaker 4: And they die? So okay, you.
Speaker 1: Know they made cigar. That's fall.
Speaker 3: But anyway, there are controls for that too. And look at look very closely, look at your burning bush.
Speaker 4: They got it. They getting it this year.
Speaker 3: And I had one actually got scale at one of my burning bushes too, And I've been for several people's houses and they have them on there also, and they can they just reproduce like crazy, and have they just drawed all the stuff out of the plant and there's nothing left and I just they guess they just move on.
Speaker 4: We see these little.
Speaker 3: Tiny U haul trucks going around.
Speaker 4: From plat to plant.
Speaker 3: Not really, but anyway, so the scale insect is a lot of times it's carried it actually by it And yes, so ants and other animals can carry them around to so be careful with you and look at them closely. Just look and see. If it just doesn't look right, that's probably what the thing is. Scale insects. They're really becoming an issue.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you know you're right upon.
Speaker 3: Them because they're crossing into different plant materials that we didn't think they would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've brought you brought that upbout like a week or so ago that you're seeing these things on things that you've never seen scale, WHOA.
Speaker 4: What's going on? So anyway, look at your Manhattan wanted us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that shiny green one and you're Bernie Bush and crepe myrtles.
Speaker 4: Just about everything.
Speaker 3: Really, I had someone to make milia tree believe it or not, but they don't affect ginko trees nothing.
Speaker 4: By this skinkle tree.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like, yeah, what do you got.
Speaker 4: Well, they survived the Brontosaurus and.
Speaker 1: You can survive that. You know.
Speaker 4: That's they bring it on.
Speaker 3: That's a very actually it's a very ancient tree and nothing bothers it too. But they are dioecious, so you want to make sure you get a male clone, not not a wild ginkle tree, because you have a fifty to fifty chance at getting kind of stinky in the.
Speaker 2: Area because if you get the female tree, you'll drop that fruit. That fruit is pungent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the Chinese fistash is the same thing family. They're dioecious too. You have a male and female and several plants, so it's kind of the luck of the drawer unless you get a clone. They do have male clones out there, so you can get one of those ginko tree.
Speaker 1: It takes a while out for that to get going right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When we moved a little into our current house about twenty years ago, there was the neighbor had a small ginkle tree it's a big thing. Now it's huge. It's too so they can grow fast a right. Yeah, this one here has just taken off. It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 4: I hope they don't move, but some crown will come in to cut it down.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'll knock on the door and say I need to talk to you about your plants.
Speaker 1: You have a little greenhouse over here. That tree by the way, that's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: It's been around since the Cretaceous. You don't want to so anyway, trees right now. You want to tram your dog woods a little bit now if you want to, they haven't really initialized blossom set. Typically that happens about thirty days from now. Okay, So if you do want to tram your dog with tree, and sometimes the branches can get a.
Speaker 4: Little out of hand.
Speaker 3: I know my house, I've got one that's well, it's just up there. It's up there, but it has one branch just rubbing up against my shed. I've been trying to pry it away, but it keeps winning the battle. But I need to cut a notch in the roof of the shed. Let the tree good, Yep. It probably easier than so anyway, So on the dog with trees, Yeah, like I said, you can trim them right now, it's kind of the last time to do that.
Speaker 4: You might do a little bit of fertilizing too.
Speaker 3: If the color's not good, look at the veins on it. And if there's some yellow in between the veins on a dog with tree, it probably could use a good broad spectrum fertilizer. I wouldn't go with a high nitrogen, but something like a ten twenty ten, and there's some traces and good good stuff with some trace elements in it too. Miracle Grow typically has a list of trace elements in it iron, zinc and the liminium, all that stuff, and it does help them to to have some of that in there. They're not indigenous to this soil we have here, so they can have some difficulty in some parts of town right where the soil the tray settlements don't exist. And my little dog, was that chill puppy doing very well? Actually one of them six feet tall, Yeah, the other one's about five feet or so. But they're coming along real nicely, very good. So I got one flower last year, so probably get to twenty this year.
Speaker 1: That'd beat on the.
Speaker 4: Little tree, so I'm kind of excited about that too.
Speaker 1: Say what, we need to take a little break, Larry.
Speaker 2: It is eight twenty three and we'll be back with more of the Green Country Gardener in your calls. If you have a question, what eight hundred and seven four nine five nine three six. We''ll be back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 8: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in heardcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings. Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heart care that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org, slash St.
Speaker 9: John, Hart, Jane Phillips and Bartlesville.
Speaker 10: Spring has run and literally that's true.
Speaker 11: At Green Thundersrey and Greenhouses, it's time to plant and Green Thumb has the largest selection of quality plants in the area. Annuals perennials, plants to feed your butterflies, trees and shrubs all now in stock. My biscus, herbs and house plants. Green thumb nursery and greenhouses open Monday through Saturday, nine to five noon to four Sunday. Green thunders free and greenhouses.
Speaker 10: On the What a Road?
Speaker 12: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 10: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 12: You can grind up these stumps in my yard.
Speaker 10: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 12: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 10: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number.
Speaker 7: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 12: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 7: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 9: The employees at United Rentals or local folk who work, play, go to church and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power which gives them power and leverage to get you the best deal on equipment. You need to get your job done right, and with twenty four hours service, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five.
Speaker 2: Rentals Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Program seventy four degrees at eight twenty six, and we have our phone line open at one eight hundred seven four nine nine five nine three six. There you one eight hundred seven nine five nine three six, Larry. What do you got?
Speaker 3: Well, we talked about bugs a little bit, so let's talk a little bit about maybe getting a landscape plan. I do have some plans on the drawing board. I shipped out a few plans this week and they kind of like them, so.
Speaker 1: What's not to like? I've seen the way you do that.
Speaker 4: Then Wow, they get a good three debew of.
Speaker 1: It and all that they know what they're getting. I call it.
Speaker 3: Over over, I text out a lot of them really yeah yeah, And that works out real well because you get it now.
Speaker 1: Pull it up on the phone, they say, hey, look at this.
Speaker 3: I hope they hit their ISP will transmit a high resolution text anyway, so they can do that, and if it doesn't work out, we can print one off for the nursery. But you know, having that information and kind of knowing what to expect to help the whole lot too.
Speaker 2: It true does You've got the visual there and you know how it's gonna pop, and it looks and you got the house, the structure around it, the existing trees, My goodness sakes looks like a plant.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I'll bring you know the laptop too.
Speaker 3: I did that'll the project working now, brought the laptop in and we went through it and it's they can see exactly.
Speaker 1: Did its thing, Well, that's my house.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I've done that on several occasions, even even downtown on the top floor of that big old.
Speaker 1: Building, that big huge Montrosity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're there too, with one. We got the job there too. So anyway, so it does. It does help so people can actually see what.
Speaker 4: It's gonna look like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's the irrigation system engineered properly. What's what's the what's the PSI of the water we have, what's the water flow?
Speaker 4: How many pounds for squarenes do you have? And soon?
Speaker 3: How much area you're going to cover? How far do you have to run your static line? All these things all have to integrate into this deal. You get the complete package if you will. Yeah, and you don't forget about lighting to night lighting. It's really really nice.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes it is.
Speaker 3: Well, you come home, you see a house all that up, it looks really nice. Well, we moved moved into our current neighborhood. The street lights weren't working and it was dark. Yeah, it was scary dark. So that was this was landscape twenty five years ago, and I didn't have the sources then I had. Now we ran down the home depot and bought a bunch of lights, had a big old transformer. Still got the transformer. Some of the lights too, I still have, but I had to replace a few. But but it's nice, especially looking out in the patio lit up outside in the backyard, it really makes for an attractive landscape. So all that kind of factors into the lighting and the irrigation system. I mean, get on your phone and it looks a little dry, and you push a thing on your on your phone and you can water that too.
Speaker 1: My, how that's changed since you started doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's you've got to keep up with the technology. And people really like that. They like to instead of having a george in the garage, maybe in the backyard on I don't know, which one it is. And even if you don't use the phone app. When when you do an irrigation system, you get them a a zone map, wear a zone one, two and three, were zone six and seven, so you don't have to run back and.
Speaker 4: Forth and guess where it is and try to figure it out.
Speaker 3: So many people are going to have these sprinkler systems and there they get a keypad and there's numbers, and they don't know where they go, so they have to roll through the whole thing trying to figure out which one it is. And also you want to put it in a logical sequence, kept to the bridge.
Speaker 4: Captain, Yeah, cut a card anyway you want to.
Speaker 3: You want to have the first one that turns on within sight of the sprinker timer, so when you hit that start button you can see it's going and then you can do a test run around there. You do need to test your sprinkle system on occasion too, just to make sure it's working. Okay, I know my neighbor across the street from you, we did some work over there. It's just this old relic from the seventies.
Speaker 4: That needed some work.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of an old relic from the seventies.
Speaker 3: I'm an old relict from the fifties. I went to the store and bought a pocket knife and I got carded. I was born before they had teil fends on cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 4: They just laugh?
Speaker 2: Anyway, did they want to see if you were a fella or something?
Speaker 3: I guess so far from it. But anyway, you want to you want to kind of know where all these zones go. It just makes it easier to do some diagnostics. And it's very important to be able to do diagnostics like that on a sprinkling system so you can solve problems. And you do need to check it on occasion too. Don't just kind of set it and forget it. You need to do probably at least a monthly run through. And a lot of these timers have several programs. You can go a B, C or D program and you can program a say a program D or something or B or something on your time or depending on how many they have, and let it go for like two minutes per station, but don't do a startup.
Speaker 4: Time on it or startup day. Don't start day.
Speaker 3: Just set the time at that particular program and then pull up a B, C, D and hit start and it'll run and then you can follow it around the house and make some inspections. And I see a lot of broken sprinklers just fueling water everywhere all the.
Speaker 4: Time, and I wonder why the water bills are high.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: And we that's one thing I don't want to do is run out of water from the from the reservoir this year.
Speaker 4: And also keep.
Speaker 3: In mind on the sprinkler system, how frequently you need the water and how many inches of water per week you put down, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera kind of important. So typically what we need around here is about an inch of.
Speaker 4: Water per week.
Speaker 1: And what do you align?
Speaker 3: And these new timers, they take into account the precipitation that's falling or expected to and it'll shut the system down with rain coming, you know. But sometimes this time, you're especially, our rain isn't like.
Speaker 4: This big walk clout. It's very spotty here and there.
Speaker 3: And even though the weather forecast says the rain's coming and it shows it on the radar, Well, your house, we didn't get rain.
Speaker 1: Now you're neighbor mile down the road got off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like this morning we got we got at our house we got lots of rain and as soon as I cross Adams, Adams to just quit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta start and stop someplaces.
Speaker 3: Old so anyway, Yeah, So the algorithms will say, yeah, there's rain out there to get from the way that service and they'll shut it down.
Speaker 4: But you need to override that sometimes.
Speaker 2: So right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful day in this ned the beautiful day for a neighbor.
Speaker 5: It's not always a beautiful day in our neighborhood.
Speaker 10: Prodential downpours a lot of lightnings the mornings. Well digit another night of it, so were a thunderstorm watching.
Speaker 3: I think the best thing we can do is to let people.
Speaker 10: Know we're here to prepare you, not scare you. AM fourteen hundred and FM ninety three.
Speaker 13: To three and ninety If I have one, Hi, I'm Todd Starn, host of the Todd Stern Show. I hope you joined me weekdays at one o'clock right here on K one, the one you trust. At AM fourteen hundred and FM ninety three three. Tune in for an honest conversation and of course my commentary's on the events of the world around us, Fresh, honest and unafraid. It's the Todd Starn Show with me Todd Starn weekdays at one on K one, the one you trust.
Speaker 10: Maybe you can make retirement happen. After all, you.
Speaker 9: Made home ownership happen, homeschool and your cell phone loans beefing up your credit score.
Speaker 6: No, I'm preapproved.
Speaker 3: You are like yes, sorry, color coding listings, ticking.
Speaker 7: Boxes and plushing every toilet in a twenty.
Speaker 8: Mile radies home Sweet Home, uai's house hunting.
Speaker 7: Now get the tips you need to get on track at Caseyoorretirement dot Org.
Speaker 10: I like to stick her at local News, Live and Local.
Speaker 4: I keep it on all day.
Speaker 10: I am always connected.
Speaker 2: Depend on four ninety three point three for locally sourced news, weather and sports, two and pro work and everything in between.
Speaker 7: My station.
Speaker 10: It's my station, my station.
Speaker 2: Information out there.
Speaker 10: You're the gold standard, new one, the one you trust.
Speaker 8: I don't listen to anything else.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner program. Larry's showing me is a granddaughter who's now gazing out windows and checking for rain clouds these days, and she just started learning to walk not long.
Speaker 1: Ago and God love your daughter. She had her taking out the trash.
Speaker 3: So she could I know, there's a picture of her pulling, pulling the dumpster.
Speaker 4: To the curb.
Speaker 1: Industry is just like Grandpa put me to work.
Speaker 4: I want to work there. She is right there, see oh yeah, working at the dumpster taking out the trash.
Speaker 2: Yet barely able to walk, and she's just doing chores like.
Speaker 1: Like a farm hand.
Speaker 4: Her head is about halfway up of it.
Speaker 3: In her in her peak outfit and pink juelly, Oh my heaven. Okay, we're talking about irrigation systems and all that. Yeah, and we talked a little bit about lighting and on your on when you when you're doing a light system in your house, you need to add up put put the lights. Yeah those things, yeah, the things that make light. I wanted to say emitters, but I guess they are they. But put your light fixture where you want to highlights the architectural accents or plants or something. Then you got to add up all the wattage you used, and you get a timer, and you always want to double the amount of vantage the timer. It's just so number one, it doesn't overheat and burn the house down.
Speaker 1: You don't want that.
Speaker 4: And number two, the light.
Speaker 3: At the very end has to be uh lit up just as well as they're close. Now you can you can put a and we've done this before where you put a loop lying in there where you've got one line that goes along them and you're in a parallel wire to that and then tight at the very end of it, making sure.
Speaker 4: Your polarity is correct.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, yeah, not good twelve bowls, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still you feel it well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In other words, Now the wire itself has two conductors, like these the cords where you're plugging the lamps, like this one over here that's got two and one of them has stripes on it and molded into the insulation.
Speaker 4: Another one is flat. So you want to make sure.
Speaker 3: That the stripe skill with the stripes and the flat skill.
Speaker 4: With the flats.
Speaker 1: There's a reason for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you don't get the polarity incorrect and then everything goes kaboom.
Speaker 1: Not a good thing your Saturday shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah really, So we ran into that with a project we did, and the Mosquito repellar contractor drove a stake through for one of the wires we did, and yeah, this part of the house wasn't lit up. I dug that thing up and ran duplicate wires and it still didn't work. And then so we just dug up the whole thing and found it. Oh after that, it works brilliantly because it's the duplication of conductors.
Speaker 4: So tell any of that those are led lights and it was. It probably used. It probably uses one hundred and fifty watts.
Speaker 3: We put a six hundred transformer in and it just and it just kind of so it doesn't Oh, it's not overdoing it. It's just kind of casually water like the lights up without being stressed or having to work too hard. So it works out real well. So yeah, you can get at the big buck stores. You can get a twenty five out of your one hundred lot thing. But you always want to make sure, like I said, count up the amount of wattage that your life have and double that for your for your transformer and the wire also too. Don't don't get slickered in and get in there all the thin sixteen gauge wire. It's just going to run out of juice bag. You're running out at the end. So you want to use probably at least a twelve gauge wire. It costs a little bit more, but then you're not gonna have any problems.
Speaker 1: Okay, you gotta be good as gold.
Speaker 3: And the wiring connections are important to you. Use waterproof wire connectors and so on. They do fine. I like the sobdle them.
Speaker 1: Really you do? Why why instead of having it?
Speaker 3: Well, you go ahead and you wrap them up with a with a wire nut that doesn't have any grease in it, and then you solder it so it won't come disconnected.
Speaker 4: I understand. And there's no corrosion involve with that too. It helds together.
Speaker 3: And these wires are subjected to every time it rains, moisture and all that oxidation.
Speaker 1: Over time, you've got and.
Speaker 3: There they're solder together and then sealed up again with a wire nut.
Speaker 4: They're going to last a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So I always ask them why on behalf of the consumer?
Speaker 4: I did that at my house twenty twenty some years ago.
Speaker 1: Still holding up just as good as gold, as good as solder.
Speaker 3: And then there's led halogen, copper, brass, aluminum stainless still on lighting.
Speaker 1: You like the brass, don't you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't, Well, it could be aluminum, but you don't want to mix the metals because of galvanic corrosion. So yeah, make sure that the the light picture had if it's aluminum, Uh, just have to say like brass screws on it or something like that that will generate a small electrical charge and corrode one of the two and then it starts leaking. And I see them just almost turned to powder before because of this galvanic corrosion.
Speaker 4: To just make sure that you know that you use all the same metal.
Speaker 3: Now you can use stainless with it, but you don't want to use a galvanized screw and an aluminum picture.
Speaker 2: Okay, keep it consistent, folks, right, and the good ones costs more.
Speaker 1: Too well, and they're worth it though.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 3: Anyway, one of these days, this rain is going to quit, and okay, you've done something.
Speaker 4: To your soil to prepare it for drought plants.
Speaker 3: So a good deep soil prep if you're doing some landscaping at this point, now you want to go ahead and plan for it getting dry, because it will. It's just the way our weather is here. It just gets stops raining in the summer. Yeah, right, look at that out there. But anyway. So if you have a soil that's really well prepped so the roots can get down into the soil, they'll last a lot better and do a lot better because they have a bigger root system and they can utilize the water over a broad area rather than narrow area right there. So so really it takes a lot a bit of back breaking work get that compost in there. It takes a bit of work, but your stuff will work if you do it properly.
Speaker 1: You got to do it properly.
Speaker 3: You can't use it like a drill. If you have to use a drill to dig a hole, there's something wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to do some ground prep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back after the two minute time out.
Speaker 11: Strings and literally that's true. A green thunder three and greenhouses. It's time to plant, and Green Thumb has the larger selection of quality plants in the area and perennials plants to feed your butterflies, trees and shrubs all now and stock hibiscus, herbs, and house plants. Green Thumb Nursery and greenhouses open Monday through Saturday, nine to five noon to four Sunday. Green thumnursy and greenhouses on the what a road?
Speaker 12: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 10: Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 12: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 10: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 7: It's nine one, eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 12: Call it today for your tree trimming, stop grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 7: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven.
Speaker 10: Thousand plicing points.
Speaker 14: Corporate freedom of the press is about your right to know. It's about your right to be informed. Today there are real threats to press freedom and your right to know about the world around us. We must protect our right to know, no matter what kind of news is important to you.
Speaker 4: Before it's too late, understand the threats.
Speaker 14: Protect press freedom dot org.
Speaker 5: Paralyzed Veterans of America National Service officers.
Speaker 7: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war.
Speaker 1: They're going to need voices.
Speaker 4: Paralyzed Veterans of America represents them.
Speaker 5: Changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, visit PVA dot org. A public service message from Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Program. And eight hundred seven nine five nine three six is our contact line. Larry Glass is our expert. Larry, what's going on?
Speaker 3: I run to a lot of people having difficulty with their trees on occasion.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, like falling on their house all.
Speaker 4: That kind of thing.
Speaker 3: We had a big old we have a big old poplar tree cottonwood, and it was cantilevered over the wiring at the nursery.
Speaker 4: Well that's it was getting.
Speaker 3: So I called the local tree company becoming a trend that back just so it doesn't fall over the wires and that and you know what.
Speaker 4: You know what will happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be one hundred and five degrees outside greenhouse. Fans are running full tilt cooling fist going and the tree.
Speaker 1: That sounds about like the luck we have around here yet.
Speaker 4: So we circumvented a potential problem. Take care of that the nursery. There you go anyway, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was kind of straight up, but it's been slowly. You got to look at the trees and see check out their health and see if they're going to be a problem on these scenes, because it just a good case in point.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's say trees healthy this summer. Look for boors.
Speaker 3: Look at the southwest side of the trunk. Also, one of the biggest problem some people have is weed whacker damage on the trees. We planted about thirty trees this week at the house, and we put steel edging around them with a weed mat or a multaria. But around it it looks kind of nice too, and uh, primarily for that reason, so they don't buy mistakes and get sever of the bark with a weed eater. Yeah, that's one of the bigger problems people have with their trees dying in their yards. It's just simply it was either nicked by it and introduced to boors or insects in there, or diseases even like that, or they're completely girdled around by the weed eater.
Speaker 4: So I've seen that so many times. What's wrong on my tree? Well you can go, but with your tree weed eater.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so having a area around the collectus microphone base around your tree yep, with malts on it, and it does do an awful lot to help help the trees get healthier.
Speaker 4: Ye stay not having to fight off the weed eaters.
Speaker 1: I'm not a weed have a tree?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so weed wickers. Weed wacker guard, yeah, wastly. Weed wacker guards work pretty well too.
Speaker 3: They have the thing you snap around the trunk and it helps stop that from happening too. So the other solutions other than just a better round the tree. The better around the tree looks nice though, But a weed wackerguard is so that you can snap on and go back into the house.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Our annual the week is a million bills, million bells. As a Calibrochia, it's a an annual. It's all these hundreds of little flowers on it. It's implied with a million bells and it can tolerate a lot of heat too.
Speaker 4: It's introduced in the early nineties.
Speaker 3: All cultivars, all cultive IRUs at Calibrochia, are hybrids with the original species native to South America. Okay, they are prolific boomers boomers from spring till fra My gotcha, bloomers. Yeah, they bloom from spring till till it freezes. And this one does very well here because it does like the warmth and the sunshine.
Speaker 4: But it does need to be prepared.
Speaker 3: They prefer to be grown moist, well drained, organically rich soil in full sun. They don't tolerate real high P eight soils.
Speaker 4: So I mean, if you're in an area where.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of limestone, which is the whole town, you might I want to consider a fertilizer. They might have some iron and welcome to the moon skate vocals. They will take a light shade and may tolerate some drought. You fertilize them with a good blossom enhancing fertilizer with the middle number, and they do really quite well here. So a million bells, we got some baskets out of a million bells too, really really nice big things. So good color, instant color for Father's Day. So anyway, Trade of the week as Japanese maple. We've discussed it them several times.
Speaker 12: Got one.
Speaker 4: Japanese maple with wheels.
Speaker 3: Yes, and in other words, it's been moved, as as my yard progressed and transformed. It's been relocated a few times and it got hit broken in a storm, and so it has an interesting trunking to it. So that's what that's what makes them really interesting. Not only the leaves, the beautiful purple leaves on this particular variety, but the trunking is kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Every tree has this story.
Speaker 3: When you're looking for Japanese maples, don't pick out the straightest ones. Why, well, that's that adds to their appeal, is that there's this winding action.
Speaker 1: You know what, a boring one.
Speaker 3: No, you want something to take the worst looking one to get that one, maybe even swing a deal.
Speaker 1: On watch it, watch it grow out of its awkward stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what you say at the nursery is not really what's going to be later on yet because they do grow. So this one in my art isn't very well. It's quite attractive and it has this contorted branching on it with this really nice canopy on the top, and it was the lights at night. It's really beautiful thing. So anyway, the Japanese maple is to be considered. It does well parchay, but it'll be dwarfed in the sun. In other words, just our sun at this latitude is just a little too intense for it. If you go further north, about five hundred miles, you can leave it, you know it fold sid do okay. But over here it's just a little too much. So it does prefer a bit of protection from the hot sun. Planting it on the east side of the house won't necessarily help it because the sun is like this in the summertime and it is exposed more to the to the light there.
Speaker 4: So it does.
Speaker 3: Better in some shielding with the other trees around or something. So so it now there are several varieties from the Crimson Queen. The one we think of is the weeping Japanese maple. It's called the crimson queen Japanese, this weeping habit and it gets about ten feet wide and six or so be tall. Makes a really nice specimen plant. But you got to give us some room plant for it in the landscape. And you do your landscape design, uh, and you want to put a weeping Japanese maple in there, just make sure you have room for it to grow. Eventually, I see people having a hard time getting in the getting the piano in the front door because of this weeping Japanese maple, and so what do I do with it?
Speaker 4: It's to tear out the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: In the movement. There you go, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: It takes less time to put it in concrete than it does to grow a Japanese maple like that, No kid, but anyway, we just get a laugh out of that ain't going to happen. I did that at my house when I moved in it, or tore out the sidewalk in the back because it was too close to the house.
Speaker 4: You couldn't throw anything there. Doing that, I got a sledgehammer.
Speaker 3: I really really went into it, and it's I have a really nice little bit over there right now, room for the trash can and all that stuff too. So anyway, keep in mind when you when you pick out how big is it going?
Speaker 4: To get asked? How how big is this thing going to get?
Speaker 3: We'll say a blood good Japanese maple gets about twenty by twenty feet eventually.
Speaker 4: Nice. So, and there are some varieties really that only get.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like a bush.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they still had this real gnarly look to them. There's kind of nice too. So they will reproduce some seeds and people have taken their seeds from their little Japanese maple and put them the ground that.
Speaker 4: You got another win and so on.
Speaker 3: Hey look at this, so yeah, I see you can't get some more. I like to plant them in the spring after the danger of frost has passed, because they if we have a late freeze, it just ruins it for the whole summer. Done as far as appearance is concerned, that we're over there, you know, shaking in our boots when his cold print coming in and we got all these Japanese maples. We've been to thousands of dollars in these maples. It's going to get cold, so you'll call it. We huddle them when it does that. So that's one drawback is if it do have a late breeze, which happens, it'll happen this next It didn't happen this year, but it will happen next year.
Speaker 4: Statistically it will.
Speaker 3: So you want to and get put a blanket over it or something to help keep it from getting damaged. Just making sure that you take the blanket away in the morning. You might call the boss and say I'll be late today.
Speaker 4: Especially if you use plastic, because it gets too hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah so, but a blanket works pretty well to covered anyway. So they have a tendency to leaf out early. Like I said that late frost for damage. They have bat very well to pruning and are easily thinned and sculpted to accentuate their graceful shape. In other words, you want a little bit of twisting and turning on it. Yeah so anyway, Japanese maples, they do really well here. But don't plant it in the west, and don't plant it in the clay. Give it room, give it twenty by twenty, give it ten feet from the trunk. So it needs to be ten feet away from the house. I see so many of them that are two feet from the house. They look real nice when they're young like that. It might look odd being ten feet away from the house, you know, poor lonely tree.
Speaker 4: But it'll grow into it, all right.
Speaker 1: You got to take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this two minute thirty second two minute forty second break.
Speaker 8: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in hardcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings. Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heart care that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org slash st John Hart.
Speaker 10: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville.
Speaker 6: In the early nineteen hundreds, the world was changing and the United States was taking its place as the premier industrial and political power in the world. The newest frontier was not the Wild West as much as it was industry and technology. The world was changing around Bartlesville and in Osage County as well. During this time, Frank Phillips and his brother Elie were growing tired of the boom and bust of the oil business and were in the process of selling off their oil leases and making plans to expand their banking business and making Kansas City their headquarters. The Phillips brothers owned Lease one eighty five in Osage County, and by the terms of the lease, if they didn't drill it, they lost it. Well, it wasn't Frank Phillips's nature to walk away from an investment with at least trying, so rather than lose it, they decided to drill for oil, and they drilled six dry holes on that lease, and then finally, on their seventh try, they hit oil at around one hundred barrels a day. In courage, they drilled one more just to the west, and on March twenty second, nineteen seventeen, Rank Phillips stood on the drilling platform when the earth and all around him began to tremble. The well exploded with a gusher of over one thousand barrels a day. It has been said that that well was the beginning of Phillips Petroleum Company and therefore the history and legacy of Frank Phillips. Thanks to that well, we still have Woollarock to remember, the west, the oil, and the history of Frank and Jane Phillips. Come visit the past and capture the magic of Willarock. Welcome home to Willarock.
Speaker 15: Hi, Kevin Emerson here from Roman's Outdoor Power. It's hay season and you want to get the most value of your hayfield. Trust the name Caboda. They made Balor's disc Moers and hericks have make haye s. He'son sweet and simple. Ask about the Solage Special four by six Baylor with net wrap, the three knife Cabota discmower that cuts cleaner and faster, and Cabota herecks that rate gentle and clean all types of train zero percent APR, zero percent down for up to sixteen months. Expires June thirtieth, twenty twenty five. See us or go to Caboda we'll say dot com for more information. Roman's Outdoor Power your Cabota dealer Highway seventy five in Bartersville, Independence or at oki Koboda dot com.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Green Country Gardener Program. And we've got a caller caller, good morning, and thanks for hanging on. How can we help you?
Speaker 10: Hi there, I'm actually calling for consumer calls.
Speaker 3: Might be in the wrong place.
Speaker 2: Well, it give us about ten minutes, All right, good Green Country Gardener Program of course, is on the air right now, Larry, what do we got going on out at the shop.
Speaker 3: At the shop, we've got a good selection of perennials and annuals right now, lots and lots of color. It's not too late to plant color. So while you're there, get you a big old bag of compost and it'll help them out a whole lot too. It's it's not that expensive, and golly it sure makes them look a lot better. And take a shovel and work up the soil real good. You'll be rewarded with a much more attractive flowers if you do some ground prep like that. When we do landscape jobs, we spend golly three quarters over our time. I'm on ground prep, just getting the ground ready, digging it up, getting the rock stout, getting the weeds out, getting it graded properly, get a compost mixed into it, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Then you put in the plants and just overall.
Speaker 3: Real quick takes care of that. Anyway, come by the nursery and check and see what we got. We've got all kinds of like I said, color, some really great trees. I know, I planted two truckloads of trees this week. So but anyway, got lots to look at and good stuff to sell. Some fertilizers and the bug killers for your bugs. Might have a problem, So I got that Captain Jack and stuff. Yeah, we do good stuff. And the hanging baskets too. They're really putting on a nice show. And if you want some instant color. You can just put one in the ground and they do fine too. Don't necessarily have to hang a hanging basket. But anyway, call you Tom's been a good show. We'll see you next week. Come by a green thun nursery the south side the road right smack between Madison and Washington Boulevard.
Speaker 1: Keep that shovel sharp, shovel sharp.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 13: Truity Credit Union a better way to bank where members always come first.
Speaker 1: Experience the credit union difference today. Truity c U dot org