Speaker 1: Soulsbrey Oy. Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Sewn Salisbury, the USC Truth, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Ryan Lima, go Lobos. This is the Sewn Salsbury Show.
Speaker 3: Rockets take down the Oklahoma City Thunder. Texans beat the Jaguars. University of Texas takes down Texas A and m Sean triplee.
Speaker 1: Good morning, what's happening?
Speaker 3: Hope you guys had a fantastic holiday, good Thanksgiving, good food.
Speaker 2: Good fun, good football. So much to cover, a lot to cover and take it notes on a week? Okay, was this this game? I mean just constant because coaching decisions some of the experts aren't really experts, don't have expertise in like clock management and win and win not to go for it right? Yeah, NFLA in college stung a little bit here. I would imagine in Edge Station two. We'll get to it. But I noticed I always try to pick out somebody you don't put enough respect on, and you do not put in your respect or at least enough on Sea Low Green?
Speaker 1: Why is it green this morning? Random? Was he? What is he one of the original voice? Guys? The voice? Wasn't he one of the.
Speaker 2: Original But I don't know him as se Lo Green? What is his day, Tripley? You know who Green is?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, what is his We're trying to figure it out, and I could I try to figure it out this morning. I can't What was his name before se low Green?
Speaker 1: What did he call it? What was his name? Remember that's the only name. What was the name?
Speaker 2: I'll look it up, man, But anyway, you don't put enough I know, we got a lot to well, you can look it up, Tripley if you get a chance, because I gotta get I'm going off on some people today. Uh see low Green? But what what what happened? You don't put enough respect? I mean normally you'll put respect on a lot of people. You get no respect to Selo. Really it hurts. Actually she was on my mind this morning. Did you hear a song of his on the way in?
Speaker 1: Or yeah? Doesn't he sing are you just every Christmas? To me? Or to you are very merry? Is that one of his Christmas cuts? Yeah? I think so?
Speaker 2: Is it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I just yeah it was? That was it was? You know Selo's part of.
Speaker 2: A jam Selo's by jam Dog.
Speaker 1: What was his name? Though? We look that up?
Speaker 2: Tripley, I don't have computer. I got my phone, but figure you could look up what his other name was, Green's original original name, page name or whatever it is. That sounds like a stripper, but you don't put enough respect on him. So I just wanted to let people know.
Speaker 1: That Thomas de Carlo Callaway, No, he had another man stage name.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what it was. Man it was regardless, it's not a big deal. But Selo dude, Yeah, sometime maybe go on the way home feeling guilty and listen to one of his cuts.
Speaker 1: Would you do that in your playlist? No? Why not? I'm not putting Selo Green on Narls Barkley. Yeah, no, on these nuts. Okay, I feel that's his real name though, Yeah, I mean no, that was Yeah, God is stupid. You said six O three. I said, I'm gonna try to get that in its Narls Barkley. Okay, yeah, yeah, you're right on that one. What did I say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it goes back to that he doesn't put it up respect on Selo Triple. He just doesn't. So I wanted to let him know this morning. That's just the wrong way to approach your Monday. Hey, I don't know where to start. Yeah, where do you want to start? You want to start with the Barkley not to be confused with Narls Barkley. Okay, you ain't got guys any good.
Speaker 1: You think Josh Allen's any good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And you think the four nine ers were reeling to locally? You tell me where would you like to start A and m excuse me, well, in Texas or right here with the Texans.
Speaker 1: Texans? So I think it's the Texans, and I think yesterday obviously they were fortunate.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if mac Jones doesn't start that game. It's about that was a cheap and that's what's going to be talked about.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think Al Shaire's a I was on a show another show last week and they're talking to me about certain players. I said, let me tell you something now that you know getting there's an attitude. If it broke out, we talked about it, it broke out. I mean, I'll take that guy. I mean he he wants to fight everybody, hit everything that's moving. But what he did yesterday was cheap and it was weak. That's there's a difference in playing good physical heart. Listen, I come from the school let it rip and beg forgiveness rather than ask permission on good, clean hits. That wasn't good and it wasn't clean. And I'm not that oh you know, well, you know, high and mighty, how dare him? I understand the game games physical. He could have controlled that. You know, they'll be the what if he fake slides? Well, when they go feet first, you gotta just you got to lay off, you just do. And then he went high and then he threw his shoulder in a forearm. It was just it wasn't good. And we will get to that. But I'm going to tell you what. The Texans are a very average football team. They are now in winning. You'll take the win. We always They're hard to come by and hopefully Trevor Lawrence is going to be just fine. But that ball moved Mac Jones moved that ball up and down the field that game yesterday. It was accurate, and they got down and then they found a way to come back.
Speaker 1: This team just doesn't know how to put their foot in your throat. There's not good at it. You don't have the killer instinct.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's missing. I mean we see stuff. You know, this play call, how did you miss this? And how did you get that? And this throw and this in accurate of this play on defense And obviously the defense did their gig in, but they did not get to the quarterback yesterday did the Jacksonville did a good job of protecting their passer and stuff. But you can't look at that team when you watch teams like Buffalo, even though Baltimore lost, for Baltimore or Pittsburgh, Hell, I'm still amazed at Cincinnati, how good they should be, how many points they.
Speaker 1: Scored, how often they lose.
Speaker 2: But you look around the AFC, the tech the Texans are, they're they're they're not They're not a top tier level. They're just not. They're no threat to win a Super Bowl right now. No, they don't. They're they're not that good. They're fortunate. They're fortunate they've played Jacksonville. They're fortunate they're in the AFC South and now they're going to be a test. Now in three weeks, we may change our mind. They may they may be kicking ass and take care of Miami and Kansas City and Baltimore and do all the things they need to do. But I can tell you right now, they're not in Buffalo and Baltimore, even with Baltimore's record, They're not in their class right now. They're not in Pittsburgh's class. They're not in Kansas City's class. They're just not. There's there's solid five teams in the AFC.
Speaker 1: That are better.
Speaker 3: You know who's whose class that are in. They're in the Denver Broncos class.
Speaker 1: That's about right.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure right now the way Denver's playing defense, I'm not real sure you're gonna beat Denver either. And that's with Bo Nicks at quarterback. Yeah, and who's who's playing well yep. And and so there'll be some good things to take away from here. Win and doubt get mixed in the football. That always helps Nico Collins. He may have dropped the ball, yes, said we didn't drop many the guys a great player and they made some big plays and Dalton Schultz and the rest of it. But I can tell you this, that team you knew, you just knew when they had that lead that the game was not over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, they don't know how to not only lock the door, but slam a dead bolt on it. They're just not good at They don't They always allow it to stay open without kicking it closed and hammering it shut.
Speaker 1: They just don't do it.
Speaker 2: So you could say, we could say all we want, there's really good players, we know that, and the pieces and I get all that. But as an overall football team, they scare you because they're talented if you're an opponent. But the truth of the matter is you're not afraid of their execution because they don't execute enough without a couple of bodies doing it on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Just I I look at the way they came into the second half and they finally scored in the second half. They didn't they I think Mixing had twelve carries going into the second half. It's like they completely abandoned the run in the first half, changing play calls up, Okay, let's do it. But then when it was what they were up what ten points going into the fourth or in the fourth, I was like.
Speaker 1: I'm like you. I was like, uh, I don't feel like this game.
Speaker 2: I didn't quit watching over oh, by no stretch of the imagination at all.
Speaker 1: It was there's no doubt and.
Speaker 3: It's just the same thing over and over and over again. I feel like it's like just average play average, average average, and Jacksonville just isn't very good. But look what mac Jones did yesterday when he came in twenty at thirty two, two hundred and thirty five yards, passing two touchdowns, no interceptions there, and he wasn't sacked once.
Speaker 2: And they're they're they're personnel. I mean, Christian Kirk there, they're beat up. Yeah, Christian Kirk out, Gabe Davis out. They're two top wide receivers done. I just there's there's something missing, whether it's the ability to close games out. I'm talking about in big fashion. Listen, they're eating five. You'll take it, but there's no way you can. They're they're they're really fortunate. They still haven't beat a team that's over five hundred. But Buffalo one team got him here and played their ass off. It was closed field goal game, but you still beat them. But other than that, they have not beaten a When I say quality, i'm talking about a over five hundred opponent, and yesterday's win was huge. I'm about to do the culture Gate now. I know the hell that had the tiebreaker. They did their thing and came back and won the game yesterday. You're putting yourself, especially with the schedule, had you have not won that game in a major bind major. But they're fortunate because you know they've beat him twice, right, yeah, times, so they've got the obvious the tiebreaker with them. But it just gets a little too There ain't no tiebreaker if you don't have a same record. So that just was that was a tough one to take for a while there, thinking are they really going to let this one get away?
Speaker 1: And they were.
Speaker 2: They were fortunate to close it out. But there's a lot of things that you look at and say, there's some things that got to change, and they've got to make some wholesale It's hard to make wholesale change during the season. They're gonna have to make some major adjustments in a lot of ways. And the undisciplined part al Shire when he to do that was I he's going to get suspended, spend it and he and he and he should and I do not like to think like that because I want guys to play one hundred miles an hour all the way through the whistle and the rest of it.
Speaker 1: It's just the way he played through the whistle on this one.
Speaker 2: And you can talk tough guy all you want and stuff that's that, you can't do it. And even when former players like man there's a there's a fraternity, a league, you just you, you just gotta. You just can't do it to opposing player, quarterback or not.
Speaker 1: You just can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he made a mistake and it's gonna cost him because I think he's a good football player and tough as hell, but that's not the way you send the message.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: And I think when it comes to making split second decisions like that, and when you're going one hundred miles an hour like that's one thing.
Speaker 2: But I'm pretty sure you could tell that this dude wasnide Listen, he could see. You can say all you want it was. And we've seen these things happen before, Guy Fay, like Kenny Pickett fake slides and keeps running. I think you know, I think it was Picket a couple three or four years ago when he did that. Yeah, you could, but that doesn't happen very often, and you try, and as a player, you try to that. We see mahomes like Okay Dook on the sideline before and then they take their hits, but you just you just gotta be smart.
Speaker 1: Can't do it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell you this, and people are gonna say, well, you you you uh promote dirty play.
Speaker 1: I absolutely don't. I like a good, hard, physical play.
Speaker 2: I don't think enough teams are physical enough at times, and I think this team's physicality's got to get better on the offensive side. But I will tell you this, he's probably fortunate he got kicked out of the game. Yeah, from the school a player I come from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well was it Darryl Johnson the he was the Yeah, they were talking about it. He was the color analyst, but they talked about it. Somebody talked about either at the half.
Speaker 1: Was it how he long on fire? It was how long? I think how he said? Somebody like, he's probably blessing got kicked out. Ye, it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking the same thing when it was going on, in a different way of thinking about it. Because a buddy of mine, I'll leave his name out, but a former first round pick in the NFL who had a good career.
Speaker 1: And he's nasty dude on the field that he played at SC.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't not Bruce Matthews, a guy you know his name, but he said it's a good thing he did get. He even said he goes because if that in my day, and he's he's younger than I am, he's between he's like in the Rodney Pete area right that in that era, he said, he goes. We looked it up, and I know guys I played with would have simply asked. They would have known the number, but they would have he would have The retribution would have been big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, guys, because it's not what people.
Speaker 2: People don't get, even with guys that are that are clean and play hard, but they do, especially in a little older school. I'm just telling you right now a matter of fact, they would have begged in my air. I'm just telling you the guys, I mean I can and even before it the only reason why I said, well, our guy's tougher. No, they just we policed it different. This did and the rules allowed you to police it different. Is I I can prom I've had it happen South. Who was that who hit you late in that play? You tell them, dude, they they go hunting numbers. Yeah, and he would have been it's like a hawk. Old school you hit Wayne Gretzky. Dave Simenko's coming up in the next the next shift, He's coming. He is going to hunt you down, he is. He will hunt you down. If you're going to hit their star, then guess what, like a cheap shot their star slash him from behind? Then then then they are going to hunt you down and deal with the deal with whatever comes from it. That's what they used to have the protectors. Now these centers hell, the Gretzky's world are six four two twenty five. They can fight and protect them damnselves. Right, You don't need you think Ovechkin needs protection. No, He's plenty fine to knock people at. That's why there's no teeth in his head. But the truth is out here. You can say what you want about Well, who would have done it? I know a lot of guys would have hunted him down and done everything you get caught gawking around a pile he would have had. He would have had a crown of his helmet right in an ear hole and they would have paid him back. So he's probably fortunate that he got kicked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the big lineman for Jacksonville, Shurf was trying to get after him, and Evan Ingram was trying to get after him. The whole damn team was so somebody would have got their lick for sure.
Speaker 1: And they would have done it. You know why.
Speaker 2: They would have taken the fine and taken their suspension in return to make sure that their players knew that.
Speaker 1: They had him. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I can go down a list of thirty of them today that would have hunted him down. So he's on the on the looking Okay, you're gonna do that, stand around a pile, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna get you. It's just a matter of when would have at least made the attempt to it. And I don't promote it, but I'm just telling you of the thought process. So he's pretty fortunate and hopefully Trevor Lawrence as well. Texas did some good things. They got a lot to do. If they think they can go into Buffalo and beat them in January, can't do it right now. There's things we got to look at. Yeah, there's no doubt.
Speaker 3: Jamiko Ryan spoke about the winning of course the al As He's al Shire hit. We'll hear that audio and discussed next right here on Sports Talk seven I