Speaker 1: You see, you see, something's going to happen. What's going to happen?
Speaker 2: Hein what? I Welcome to the Occult Rejects. This episode, I got a very very special guest, somebody that was very uh impactful in my own magical career, especially in the Thelemic style of magic. Somebody who probably even really set up how I even did my rituals, like I went through the Living Thelema Book in that highly impacted the way I practiced and the way I even changed my outlook on magic itself. So this is very very special for me, and I'm very excited to have doctor David Schoemaker on. But before we introduce him, I would like to introduce the other rejects and I got Judith the Loon with us. What is going on? Judith? How are you.
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. It's always a pleasure to be here. You could catch me on YouTube and on X as the Loon with my weekly brunch and every my monthly.
Speaker 1: Buddy check.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Thank you for joining us and my man headless Johan. What is going on?
Speaker 1: Sir? How you doing?
Speaker 4: You can find me on Twitter and on YouTube. You can check out my trialogue with Ethan Indigo and Ricard Calivadio this morning. It was a banger, so yeah, check that out.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you very much for making it. And my man Brandon Magus in the media, What is going On?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me again, Nick. I love being on this show. I'm so excited to have doctor David Shoemaker as you Nick. He also was pivotal in my own journey. Read all his books. His voice is soothing as well, so it's always when I read his books, I have it in my head. Thank you for having me Megas in the media, just head on over to YouTube x as well as Instagram subscribe, I can share. It's all magic, it's all myth, it's all meaning here, let's get it done today.
Speaker 2: If you listen to his podcast and then read the book, it's like you can literally hear his voice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: And Robbie Marx please the storyteller himself. Thank you very much for joining us. What is going on?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was excited for this one. It's good to meet you, David. I'm our Marx or Robbie Marx artist illustrator, and you can check out all my stuff at my link tree which is link tree r M A r X and that'll pull up all my miscellaneous things.
Speaker 2: Thanks Nick, of course, no, thank you for joining us. And again, like I said, we do have doctor David Schumaker joining us. He is a clinical psychologist, author, and longtime teacher and the Thlemic tradition. He's widely known for making complex, the limic and initiatory material more practical in a roach, especially through his work on ritual meditation, psychology, and spiritual development. Doctor Schumaker is the author of Living Thelema, The Winds of Wisdom and The Way of the Will, and he's also deeply involved in Tholemic training through the Temple of the Silver Star, with decades of experience working with students in both OTO and AA related practice. David Schumaker describes himself as a clinical psychologist in private practice with specialization in Youngian and cognitive behavioral psychotherapy. On his official site, he also identifies himself as a chancellor in p prolocutor screwinglet up of the Temple of the Silver Star and notes he has been involved with the OTO as a student of an end as a student of AA since nineteen ninety three. Today we're going to get into Thelema Astramargentum's spiritual attainment, practical magic, and how psychology and mysticism intersect in real practice. Doctor Schumacher, thank you very much for coming on the show and welcome to the Occult Rejects. Would you please let everybody know where they can find anything about you what you would like to plug rabbitas sure.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me so. I have a presence on Facebook and Instagram and the Living Thelema podcast which still exists. I just do it intermittently. Can you can find all that archived over the years at Livingthalima dot com. Also there is a Living Thalima dedicated YouTube channel that has archives of every Living Kalma episode and Organizationally, you can find the organization's administer. The AA is at one Star Insight dot org and the Temple of the SilverStar is at T O T S S dot org.
Speaker 2: Wees. Thank you very much again. Like I do with every guest that I have on for this type of topic, I normally guess start off with how did you find yourself like one day saying like ritual ceremonial magics might think like, what got you there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, an interesting story at least for me. But I was a graduate student in psychology getting my doctorate in Indiana State. This was n ninety three, and I had come out of college more or less an atheist, going through this sort of generic clinical psychology training. But I realized I wanted more than was being offered. I wanted something with more depth and mystery to it, really than kind of cut and dried cognitive herooral work and so on. So I'd always been interested in Carl Jung, and there was an influential professor in our department who was also interested in Young. So he and I started a book club basically to kind of let people who are interested get more content around Young. And we did that for a few years, and as I got my degree and went out into practice, I focused on Young. But in the middle of grad schools that was starting up and I was I was getting more into Young, I realized I didn't I needed something in my personal life that was more numinous as Young might have said, that had a spiritual quality that had a mystery to it. And so I started doing some reading, you know, around the vaguely occult and pagan books that were available at the time this is pre Internet, of course, and read some wicked pagan materials from Llewellen. But what really caught my eye within a few months of doing that, well in books, what really caught my eye within a few months of doing that was that in the back of those wicked pagan books were ads for things like The Golden Down by Regardi and The Middle Pillar by Regardy, and I thought, actually, that sounds was more like what I'm kind of looking for. So I read those books, and the really pivotal moment was when I got The Middle Pillar by Regardi, where he explicitly links cabitalistic psychology with the work of Carl Jung and the work Foster Crowley, and that just sort of got my head spinning, and I knew it would be my life's work. I didn't know how it would be my life's work, but I knew it would be. So that was nineteen ninety three. That's when I got initiated into Oto and into the They brought her tradition behind the AA and Temple the SilverStar, and so that was that's the origin story.
Speaker 2: Did anybody have anything before? I said, asking questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it kind of helped knowing that you know, Wika and the Garden Area tradition really had you know, its roots in AA and you know the Golden Dawn, and so you know, it was an easy transition. But you know, a lot of people get stuck on the aesthetics. What about these addicts do you like of Golden Down versus the wick of tradition.
Speaker 1: I think there's beautiful ritual work in all traditions that we've named here, But for me, there was something about I suppose, if I'm completely honest with myself, there's something about the complexity of sort of Golden Dawn or the Limix style ceremonial that just was inherently I just connected with. It felt more like an expression of where I already was as a person, and so I didn't feel like I was going somewhere else. I felt like I had found something that was already home to me in that way. That and probably too much reading Order of the Rings as a kid, that the Gandalf archetype I was ready to connect with. You know, kind of half joking on that, but yeah, that's my best answer for that. What can you say? It's an intuitive thing, that something calls to you.
Speaker 2: How is that? I guess you know, I really would like to get your take on it for listeners to hear, you know, from you people say, at Lima, what does that mean to you?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'll take it for the absolute movie here I. Thelema is the Greek word for will. Will in the sense of divine will more than a want or a need or a drive. It's more like the basic nature of a person and how they operate in the world. How and how how they operate is an extension of divine will. That is, we are as individuals here born in a certain condition, in a certain place, with certain parameters of our strengths and weaknesses and so on, and within that we have a way that we are in the world. There's something unique about each person that explains what they do in this room, in this moment, as much as it explains what they do over the course of decades in their lives, and it's rooted in their essence as an organism. Just like a tree does a certain thing, or an animal does a certain thing, or a river does a certain thing, each individual does a certain thing, and the task of each of us is to discover that true will, and once we have some conscious awareness of that, we strive to shape a life that will give us maximized opportunities to live that out without as much conflict with harmony and joy and passion. And what we find is that when people connect with who and what they really are, that tends to go pretty well. You know. We find those who moved through life doors open rather than close. We find that we feel like we're swimming with the current instead of against it. And uh, much of my work, both in in psychology and and the organizations that I work with, has been to just find the best possible tools to unlock that true will awareness and people as efficiently as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautifully said, anything else that anybody wants to ask before keep going? Keep going on. I guess another one that I wasn't thinking about bringing up. And you don't want to make it boring here, but I just do think it's be interesting for listeners of mind to hear your opinion on this stuff. What would like that do withou? Wilt that whole slogan? What would that mean to you? How do you? What is that? What is that in your life?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah, so for clarity, do what thou wilt shall be. The whole of the law is the basic statement of Crowley's law of fu Lima. And that's simply, to me, a statement that the way the universe works is that the central law of unfolding life is that every everything does what it is here to do. Everything proceeds according to that basic nature. So it's the whole of the law. And what we are here to do in our lifetimes is again to strive to discover that and live it out. So that's the work I did and continue to do, you know, every day, striving to own that down. But basically, you know what I was describing what happened with reading Middle Pillar and Regardi in that moment, that was a lightning bolt of I'm here to do this, you know, not like I think it would be cool to do this, or I could get rich doing this or something like that. It's that this is my nature to do this in this world. And the law part of it for me is it better be my law to do what I'm here to do, you know, otherwise I am going to be swimming upstream and I am going to be, you know, missing opportunities to two fully actualize myself in the world and to help people doing that and so on. So do what thou wilt for me is is do what you're here to do in every moment you can.
Speaker 2: Thank you have I got anything dead? All right? Okay? What do you what would you what would you say? At the biggest beginner mistakes do you see in modern occultism when people do approach the lima, M I'm trying to put you on this body now?
Speaker 1: I think one of them, of course, is relates to what we're just talking about, which is that people approach the lima thinking, oh, it means do whatever you want, you know, And that's the opposite of what it means. It means do the specific things that you are suited to do, be the certain things you're suited to be, and not other stuff, even if you want it, you know. So it's actually quite the opposite of do whatever you want. And of course that sort of misunderstanding has fueled a lot of the public misunderstanding of Croley the whole time since he's been alive. Even the tabloids in the nineteen twenties got on that high horse. So, oh, mistakes, I've lost the question. They so One mistake is misapprehending what do it though it means. Another is thinking that diving right into advanced practices is a quicker way to get to the result they want. Because if you get the part of the basic training, which is you getting to know how to move energy, contain it within yourself, channel it where you want to manage your own physical and energetic self, you skip all that stuff. No matter what you try to do is not going to go as well, and so what you end up doing. What those kind of people end up doing often is getting to advanced stuff, either getting confused or feeling screwed up by it because they didn't know themselves very well and didn't know their energetic system very well, and then having to say, I guess I better go back and learn the basics. I kind of liken it to deciding to be a poet without knowing the alphabet yet. Sure you can try, you know, but I think you know, you get the foundations first. And that I say this not in a way that it is to be rigid with it, like experimentation is fine. You're always going to make mistakes, and we can always try stuff that we haven't tried yet, and figure out if we were ready. Maybe that's how we discover we weren't. But but in general, I think that's a pretty common, pretty common misapprehension that it'll be quicker if I head right to the sexy stuff, but then it ends up being actually slower because they have to circle back and learn foundations. I guess in a similar vein, it's that sort of it's that old saying about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. But people get a little bit of meditative success or a little bit of ritual success, or sometimes have the psychedelic experience that convinces them they're at the end point to the beginning point, without the infrastructure of the non drug related you know, muscles that are needed for doing good magic and mystical work. So it's kind of like early success bringing a false sense of attainment and mastery when really it's just like they've mastered step one of fifty, but since they haven't mastered more than step one, they don't know what step two mastery feels like. That's just a quick summary of you have a question, Yeah.
Speaker 5: If you mind sure so on that GANE, Then how do you find it important to maybe before running into the polemic work or the work of the Asterum Argentum. Do you find it important to work on the hermetic order of the Golden Dawn, lecturers and those things before you start into that other stuff or is it do you find okay just to skip right ahead or is it skipping at all. That's something that always comes to me. I always wonder about that, And then when I speak to other people who are Theelamites, who have never read any of the hermetic ord of the Golden Down, they think that it's just gibberish, and so, yeah, I've always wondered that, especially listening to your stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question. I don't think of that as a sequential thing, where it's the Golden don stuff and then you move on or move up to that thelemic stuff. I think I can imagine a number of reasons why that could be the impression. Probably most of them are chronological in terms of the Golden Down pre dating thlemic work. But what you got to remember is that Crowley's whole basic training was in the Golden Down, and it is embedded in the systems he was teaching the rest of his life. You know, he's teaching the Golden don LBRP in the nineteen forties, three years before he died. So I don't think it's necessaryarticularly for people to pursue Golden Down style magic in their personal practice or initiatory wise before doing Thelemac work. It's the question of what are they called to. The other thing that is really important here is they go together like there's it's not Golden Down or the Lima. The Temple of the Silver Star, for example, which I administer, is very explicitly a Golden Down patterned order that incorporates the Lima as its basic operating principle. So it has woven with Thelema into all of not all, but many of the landmarks that we might expect from a Golden Down initiatory system, and I think strengthens both in the process. So I've answered your question and then some but hopefully that that's helpful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's very helpful. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Going back to something you were saying earlier, you know, even the thing that I haven't found myself that I went back, I think it was because of listening to you a podcast, and I've quoted it kind of. I'm sure I've screwed it up, but I have given you the credit that I think you even say you I don't know if it was in your book on your podcast that I mean not sound glamorous, but honestly, you're gonna have to learn how to meditate, like you stressed out a lot, like a lot a lot. I think like as a beginner thing. And I do think like just from my experience, you know, jumping for me meditation and getting that down was more important than jumping straight into ritual work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I make that point sort of equally around relaxation. Even just being able to sit down and get your body relaxed and your mind in the moment is a foundation for anything that comes after. So yeah, relaxation, meditation or another basic beginner error I think is I don't need to learn how to do that stuff. I want to get right into the But if you're not relaxed and you're not kind of present in yourself, it's going to hamper your ritual.
Speaker 2: Does anybody have any questions?
Speaker 1: Well I had one.
Speaker 4: So it sounds like the biggest beginner mistake is not being able to tap into the authenticity that they're sort of you know, trying to tap into. It's sort of like leaping to the conclusion, well, this is the answer without actually exploring what that means. That seems to be a common problem, you know, across this is why people go to you know, psychotherapists to begin with. Have you found that the Thelema work has really helped you, I guess, be a better therapist?
Speaker 1: Certainly. I mean I think I'm a better human because of it, and no surprise, better humans make better therapists and everything else, probably, but more more your probable specific point. I understanding that and really truly believing in my deepest art and soul that every human being is divine at their core, and anything that gets in the way of that is the problem. It's not that their core is the problem. The personality and all the things that it tries to do to protect itself, all of the expectations that get laid on us by family or society or eventually ourselves, those are the things that obscure the true will and the true kind of star at the center of each person. So when I'm working with people in therapy, even though we may never say the words true will or the lima or anything remotely like that, what I have an awareness of in the room is sort of my meta model is that we're working on the personality. In one example, working on the personality in order to clear away those blockages that allow the real self to shine through. And so often that might be what would look like a conventional therapy session around looking at what did your parents kind of want you to be and you didn't want to be, and so we end up talking about what was really under there, what was trying to get out, you know, what was what was the impulse that maybe got stifled a little bit. That's just one specific kind of example, but it's that that's the more common situation where we're not really talking about it as a true will kind of process, but we're just working on to a fly on the wall. Would appear kind of a common therapy session, but you know, more and more, because people know my work, they're coming to me as a therapist or a life coach because they're Theelamites or magicians or cult of some kind, and they want a therapist who has a similar language and understanding and worldview, much like a devoted Christian might seek out a Christian counselor or something like that. So it's it's a smaller pool at this point, but increasingly it's it's the case that a lot of my therapy sessions might include more overt discussion of magical principles or I'm just trying to use the language that actually works and is alive for the person I'm working with. Does that get the question? Yeah? Very much great.
Speaker 2: Did anybody else have anything that they wanted to ask before we continue to take away?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was going to kind of want to go back to the idea of the whole of the law, and then you have the book of the law. You see, like within the Hebrew cosmology, they have the Torah being the book of the law. As far as the individual law of the self within the micro aspect, can you expand upon that and how that coordinates and interacts with the macro aspect of the law.
Speaker 1: So I think there we're talking about We're still talking about universal law. It's just is it expressed through the individual or is it expressed in the world at large or the universe at large. So I'll come back to that idea that you think of any ecosystem you want, and you will have all the components of that ecosystem, the trees and the animals and the grass and everything doing its best to do what it is destined to do. You know what is it's programmed to do in a sense, and that tends to work just fine. You know that the problem is for humans that we get in our own way with that, as I was kind of describing with the therapy examples. But I think that the macrocosmic expression of do what thou wilt is really just looking around and seeing that. Of course the universe is doing what it's supposed to do. It's it's evident that that's the case because it is doing it. You know, things work a certain way, and that's not a different kind of law than what we can work with as an individual. It's simply we we determine what our role in that is when it's our microcosmic part in the greater work?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Nice? Yeah, good question?
Speaker 2: Anybody else out anything?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I do too. Before you move on, nick I, I keep asking a bunch of a bunch of people in the ol cult, magicians in the different spheres, but what do you think of the term self initiate, especially for those who can't reach say inn a school like yourself, or an OTO or a golden dawn, because it seems like there's such a hatred and I know, self initiation the term itself may even be a rough one, but there seems to be like a closed system where some think you can only ever go to a place and do it, and then there's those of us who maybe don't have that ability. So I just kind of would love to hear your take on those things.
Speaker 1: Great, Well, one thing that is self evident is that people across history have attained without a system, without finding a system of initiation, they they do it somehow. Okay, so let's get that off the table. Of course, it's possible to have great gains in self understanding and in initiatory experience and power through one's own work without formal initiation in a group. That said, some people will thrive more in a formal, structured setting that has kind of a not just a lineage, but also is what we might call a contacted order, that there are interplane contacts that actually, in my experience, quite literally move through the work we do and make it a specific kind of initiatory experience or its members. You're not going to possibly get that without contact with that organization. That doesn't mean any given organization is the right one, you know, But for a specific person it might be the right one, and for another person it might be the absolute wrong one, and they need to do it themselves in order to get the maximum gains, or they need a different organization, a different tradition, or whatever. So I think the efficacy of self initiation depends a lot on the specific person doing it and what they're what they're cut out for, what their prior experience is, what their innate skills are, or you know, what their innate blind spots are. The success of that kind of endeavor is really going to have a lot of those variables involved. But there may be other angles on this that you wanted to hear about. But that's that's my first thought.
Speaker 5: Nice, No, that's that does it answers my question. I'll have more in the future, But that's thank you.
Speaker 1: I guess I would only add briefly that I think there is a problem if someone does self initiation with let's say you get a self initiation in the Golden Dawn book. Okay, it would be a mistake to do that. You could have great results, okay, but it would be a mistake to do that and think you are getting the same experience as a formal in person initiation with a goal with down type group. So as long as people understand it's not the same, but it could be equally powerful for some people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's into my head when you say that, is you must be even have even more critical thinking and being super objective and maybe kind of hard on yourself a little more because nobody is around there to make sure that they kind of like the like the kung fu teacher with the whip, you got to kind of be your own right whip. Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: And one of the other great dangers there is the self deludon that can come from thinking you're doing it all right when really you don't have anyone there to say, actually, you know, the tradition is a little bit different than that. Try it this way, you know, or confirming that you've had some kind of milestone mets or you know those things. What I'm speaking to you now is really the benefits of having a teacher of any kind, someone who's done the work already.
Speaker 5: Nice, okay, awesome, thank you.
Speaker 4: Well isn't that the poison bill of a personality that is a self starter to begin with? I mean, they have very little self reflection, which means, you know, go head first into bottle.
Speaker 1: So but is it ready ready? Fire? Aim? Right?
Speaker 2: Anyway, I got anything else before I go on with other questions? All right, kind of another basic one. Well, I guess not too basic, but I think for my listeners would be very good for them to hear you take on it. What is the whole idea with the Holy Guardian Angel and when it comes to ceremonial magic?
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you if you check out the Temple of Silver Star YouTube channel, I did an archive talk on there on this that I would for long form discussion of this, I would direct people to. And of course there's a Living Flame, a book, chapter and podcast episode on this. Basically, the Holy Guardian Angel is a term that presisted curly, but he latched onto that term as a way of describing whatever it is that we connect with when we attain cosmic consciousness and awareness and full conscious awareness of true will. So there's no way to talk about this without being reductionistic or using terms that may predispose people to think of it in certain ways, like cosmic consciousness or whatever. But at some point, well, let me start over the central goal of all of this training. In both AA Temple is Overstar and Croley's conception of what we're here to do on the planet, the central goal is to strip away those barriers to full conscious awareness of our divine self and of our true will. And that awareness, when it comes, typically eventually, pretty climactically, is very very often accompanied by the sense of presence and connection to a being that is beyond ourselves. Now, there are may be some people who connect with this as actually, this is just a part of my brain, or this is just my higher self or whatever. I don't The good news is, once you get there, you don't need anyone to tell you what it is because you're experiencing it. But the many many people you know experience this as a myself included, experience this as a as a as a tremendous overturning of the sense of who we are and who we have been in relation to this Holy Guardian Angel that we encounter. When this has occurred, our next task is to work even harder to build a life that honors the truth that we've discovered. There So, in the AA system, the knowledge and conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel that's the term that Curley used for that breakthrough colog and conversation in the AA system that's attained at this the grade the Indus story grade of the fareth in the center of the tree. And then the work beyond that is, now, let's make a life that lets me live this out with as few obstacles as possible and with the greatest deficiency as possible, and then we take it from there. So the HDA is the power slash entity slash aspect of the universe slash personal god whatever that enables all of this to happen. You could also think of it as like the I had a friend describe this this way to me, which is always stuck that the sun is shining, but there there's one ray that's aimed right at you, and that's the HDA, And so you find that and you tune into that like a radio finding that one station, and that opens up your path.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. That was great. Anybody got anything before I go? I want to add to that, all right.
Speaker 4: It's just very Egyptian symbolism that popped into my head with that, with the idea of the raw coming down. But there is something like that all throughout history when you're talking about the mystery school tradition. Right going back to my favorite book, The Golden Ass, at the very end he's saved by Isis and then he dedicates his life to being a free lawyer for the poor. And so the idea is, you move past this point of initiation and figure out a way to implement the type of love that you felt well connecting to that different state of being.
Speaker 1: And in mythology, the whole idea of the hero figure going off and discovering the gold or the treasurer or getting the magic power whatever is meaningless until they bring it back to society and do something with it, you know. So it is about do the inner work bring it to the world. And Carl Young's an interesting example. I don't know who here or watching has looked at his Red Book, but those were early, clearly mystical experiences for him that were followed by him building an entire career based on trying to make sense of those things and bringing those truths as best he could to his work in the world. So he never termed it a knowledge of conversation with the Holy Guardian Angel. But that's what that looks like. To me, and so we can probably find any number of examples like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's almost like the forgotten part of the mono myth or the hero's journey is the return aspect. So it's like we always think that it's everything until and then you're you're just there, and it's like, no, you have to bring it back home. And then after you bring it back home, you have to return on the journey again a changed person.
Speaker 4: That's when the credits are rolling. So we don't need to worry about that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, I've heard the ideas of the lemma in comparison to the ideas of platonic thinking and the ideas of the individual man building himself up to make the society as a whole better. Do you think that the lemma on some from from the individual self exploration and opening up on a higher level? Do you think it is aimed at utopian in goal.
Speaker 1: I think that that's true to the extent that we understand. That doesn't mean that the world would then be perceived by every person as perfect, right, Okay, that's never going to happen because we're always going to have personalities. The only thing that likes or dislikes is the human ego, and it's very good at it, so it's always trying to do it, and so things will always be displeasing no matter what. But yeah, I think that the idea is as each of us does as much self development as we can than the world itself. You know, we contribute to the world being a more harmonious place where there's less unnecessary conflict and people aren't as blinded by their their confusion about who they are and there and their projections of negativity, negativity to others, and just all the stuff that makes us take the easy way out and not grow ourselves. But when we each do that, yeah, I think that the world becomes the place that it can be. Carl Young was asked to incessantly come back to Young but he was asked in an interview around the fifties or so if there was Cold War, right, so everything was scary. Nothing, it's not scary now, but it was scary then too, And he said he was asked, is there any hope for humanity? And his answer was if enough individuals do their inner work right right, And that's that's my operating principle every day of my life right.
Speaker 6: In a certain sense, it kind of ties in with this perennialist idea of through the ages, the mystery schools coming into even the Catholic Church schenthilemma and kind of the whole ultimate angle, you know, like Hinduism with the Cali Yugos sinking down and then rising back up into that attainment of the sun at the high peak of the mountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and the perennial linking out of the perennial aspect of that, the idea that there is one central truth that all paths are meant to are designed to kind of strive toward and illuminate. And the mistake is to say to someone else doing it a different way that they've got it wrong, and then you get to have holly wars and things. But it's the more we realize we're all aiming at the same thing, and you know what, if here's my idea, we get simultaneously get everyone in the world to have the awareness that what if the actuality is there's no choice but to all be worshiping the same God, and that's just the truth. And then anything anyone is doing is their best approximation of that no one instantly, no one is in disagreement about about that. If everyone could just get that it's all stories about the one thing, and that we don't need to point fingers that who's doing it wrong?
Speaker 6: Right, And that kind of ties into the ideas I was trying to kind of poke at with the the larger aspects.
Speaker 2: Of the law.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yeah, I see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And that almost reminds me of what a Naughton was doing with having everyone come back and worshiping the sun.
Speaker 1: Right good. Yeah, And of course I'm not advancing the idea that there is a like amount of theism in the sense of, now here's the doctrine of the one true religion, right right?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, for sure, perhaps do what they will, because that's just talking about truth. You know that the doctrine is truth and the paths are myriad.
Speaker 4: As we say, well, I feel like this is that been the downfall of syncretism for so many times over the ages, with the Romans invading the Picks and with the Christianity invading everybody, is that once you've syncretized enough to where you think we've got the philosophical basis for everything, all distinctiveness goes away from the people who were once not a part of that group, and so it becomes a push pull of identity at that point, and you know, something better is out there than just you know, because Theosophy tried this, and you know, Carley came out of the Theosophist movement, and you know, so many other things, and it gets blamed for everything because obviously this secretism is changing the way people think in a cohesive way instead of a you know, dualistic or multipolar way that a lot of people would prefer because they want to remain distinct. And I think that distinction really hasn't been honored by American society in a lot of ways. Across the world. It's like everybody is now just individual, replaceable units, and we're seeing the rebellion to that right now.
Speaker 6: So it goes really deep crystallization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one question I didn't want to ask. I mean, you've pretty spent spent years bridging clinical psychology at the limit practice. What kind of first convinced you that these two can work together be along together?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, obviously each human has component parts that we can label different ways. But the ego, the in the psychology, the ruoc, you know, the part of us that is that needs to interface with the outer world and to have opinions and have goals and plans and think of ourselves as an individual that's different from that other person over there. All that sort of stuff that's not going away. So it's inevitable that we've got to make that all of that have some degree of transparency so that we can see the light that's behind it. So I whether someone works with a therapist to do that or just figures it out themselves, they've got to do that. Otherwise their magic is going to be their whole path is going to be skewed based on their blind spots, on their natural predispositions, on their underdeveloped areas that aren't ever developed, you know. So that's one reason why systemization of the initiatory process is so helpful for a lot of people is that it it cultivates all the aspects of the self and helps to remove the blind spots. So for me, it just seemed inevitable that. I mean, I was already studying psychologies, but but it's like having having arrived at the place where I was in the middle of starting a psychology career, but also having this huge nuclear blast of awareness about the lima and and the opportunities for self development there that it just for me personally just became an impossibility that they wouldn't be working together in my life.
Speaker 2: Thank you? How should how should you? How should practitioners think about shadow work and athlemic context without turning it into a self obsession.
Speaker 1: Oh, people will be self obsessed anyway, That's inevitable. The trick is to do it well. Uh. I think you know, shadow is any any unacknowledged aspect of ourselves, and that can be positive, that can be negative. I've grown up within a system where monitoring is started by philoseculers or a Merril my teacher and and and her eyes. She put in her training system from the very beginning that we, uh, we must be monitoring our psychological projections on a daily basis in order to learn about what our shadow projections are and what our projections are generally that that we bye by watching how we react to things, how we get emotional, how we overreact. You know, we can we can get the kind of self knowledge that's not available if we only look at like we're just navel gazing about who am I and what do I like? And we don't look at the potential dark sides of that. In terms of these projections, we're missing a whole bunch of of work that can be so helpful and so in our system now, you know, as we teach it in Temple of Silver Star, we have people doing part of this part of their daily diary work. They monitor psychological projections. They are therefore stripping away therefore and thereby stripping away those filters and the mud that's all over the lens, you know, to use that example again, that is blocking them from seeing their truth self more and more clearly. But the shadow work is really just one example of projection work in many ways, but more broadly out of work in terms of understanding of what is it we're pushing out of awareness? Like if we live if we live in a box you know, called me, and we decide we're just going to live in this corner of it because we don't want to go in that part that makes us uncomfortable, then we're living in a tinier world. And so for fullness of self and life, we have to accept all of ourselves, even if our personality doesn't like it, So that's that's the bigger kind of picture of why do shadow work.
Speaker 4: Well, it's funny in the looks MAXI community. I know it's kind of become a convenient trope or meme online, but they talk about courtosol spiking, right, And so if you're out at a club and you're talking to somebody and then somebody else mogs you or makes themselves look better than you, your court is all is supposed to spike. And this is like a convenient way of biologically analyzing yourself instead of actually looking at what it is that makes you feel that way. Right, So it's replacing embarrassment with a biological process.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Interesting, Yeah, but also learning to control that reaction as far as how you let things affect you.
Speaker 1: Yep. At the good part of that, the good news there is that as we monitor our projections, that tends to happen pretty naturally. Like we start to realize, oh, every time Joe starts talking and I and I get annoyed, it's because I'm insecure about him being smarter than me. So now I realize that about myself, and when I'm around Joe, I kind of go in the room knowing that you know so, and that's kind of an organic process where we just it's harder to act stupid when we know it's stupid when we've done the work. Not that we'll be one hundred percent successful with that for sure, as my friends can attest.
Speaker 2: Does anybody have any questions before I ask you another one.
Speaker 3: Before we move on to I actually do, and it goes, it goes along the path of is more towards a solitary magician. It's it's I can't say it's easy, it's it's a little bit easier when you're in a group setting, either you're worth dealing with the AA sol Star or the Golden Dawn or anything like that. For the solitary person working their way up to tiffer Off on the tree of life, sometimes what they're trying to strip away, what they're trying to face, is too much. And unfortunately, if they want to go to therapy. You said it yourself earlier that the.
Speaker 1: Pool of.
Speaker 3: Ceremony ceremonial magic psychologists that are more familiar with it and more accepting with it are hard to find. But I do feel that along the lines you probably do need to find a therapist to help you alone you need help along the way sometimes because sometimes things are too burdensome for you to deal with. How would you recommend someone approach someone who a therapist that may or may not accept their way of belief system despite the fact that this is what they're trying to deal with at that.
Speaker 1: Time, right, So part of the answer to that is that there's probably ninety percent of what needs to be done and be done without even mentioning to a therapist that we're interested in the occult path. It's just that that's just abobout being human. And of course it feels better to have a therapist that could actually share a language like that and would understand that. One of the reasons I'm here working on myself with you, therapist, is that I am on a self an initiatory path I and I am trying to, you know, take this to a more mystical place and so on. But even without that, and it's still going to be so valuable to have someone sitting in the room with you. Again, even if they don't have any idea of an occult path being part of your life, it's going to be so useful to have another person sitting there reflecting with you on your strengths and weaknesses and growth patterns and blind spots and shadows stuff and all of that. So I think the main thing in seeking out a therapist that would be compatible for an occultist is just to at least make sure that they're not that they're not going to have a worldview that is like antagonistic to alternative spirituality, so that if you if it just comes up casually that you know you're a pagan or a occultist or a gold Dominsian or whatever, that you know, they're not going to think that is pathology. And fortunately, in today's world, I think most therapists had enough breadth of training and life experience to know that there's a lot of paths out there. But you know, if someone's advertising themselves explicitly as they are a therapist from a particular religion, and you think that's not a very good mesh with your spiritual beliefs, and maybe that person isn't the best choice for this. But someone who says they are young in or transpersonal or humanistic or existential or you know, it's something that's got to built in the sort of openness to the breadth of life you know, I think is probably going to be a good choice. Kind of a long answer. I hope I hit on the basic question.
Speaker 3: Yes you did, because sometimes people are as a hesitant on looking for help for that very reason.
Speaker 1: Sometimes right, right, And it is true. And you know, just like in communities, smaller more conservative communities, people still have to be careful about, you know, outing themselves as being interested in this stuff at all. So you know, I get that it's a real issue.
Speaker 2: Another question I had, did I where did you get your take on so people have a better understanding maybe, and it is just something you do discuss in your living with the Lima. What is crossing the abyss? Whats it mean to you? What is that?
Speaker 1: So? In the the Limics system of conceiving the overall path of the great work, there are two critical ordeals for the advancing initiative. Of them is knowledge and conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel, which we've discussed, and then the next one is crossingly this so think of it this way. You've had knowledge of conversation, you have now a much more complete conscious understanding of what your true will is. So you, as we discussed earlier, take the next steps of making your life a place where that can happen. You keep doing that, you're very likely to be successful at it because by definition, it's what you're cut out to do. You've found your dream job, you know, except it's not just a job, that's your whole life. And if you keep doing that, you're likely to become known for doing that. You're likely to be good enough at doing that thing that you will bring yourself to kind of the culmination of what you can be as a human in the normal sense. You'll be self actualized, to use a common term for that sort of thing. You've seen these people, they just seem to be so good at what they're doing. They're doing it out in the world, and they're known for it, and it seems like they were just born to do it. And at that point, where do you go. If you're going to grow more, it can't just stay in the realm of I'm going to make me better and better. You know, I'll be bigger and bigger and greater and greater. And that becomes at a certain point self limiting and destructive, because the danger is that the ego takes over and is just so happy to be so good at all this that it wants to keep doing it and keep getting more and more famous for it and all that. So at some point the only next step available is giving it up and letting go, being willing to let go of everything that you've developed, being willing to say what's more important is that this is helping the world, not that it feels good to me or that it's you know, so good for my life, you know. So this is where we go from a bit more of an individual centric self development model to let's bring it back to the world, like the monomouth return phase we were talking about two. Now, let me dedicate my entire life to service to the universe, whatever that means. Okay, So the real crossing of the abyss is being able to fully develop oneself and then offer it all out to the universe and let go of the individual focus. So another angle on this is that there is a part of us that has always been living across the abyss. This is the abyss of personal versus trans personal or individual versus collective consciousness. Okay, Uh, part of us that star at our center, you know, has always been there. The change is that our ego says, I now recognize consciously that the real list me is not the me I've thought of myself to be at all, you know, And I can give that up because that's like a leaf blown in the wind compared to the collective. So the real kind of cosmic consciousness attainment at that level is is that kind of a shift that we we consciously and intently let go of individual centered consciousness and embrace the the all really or you know, the non dual consciousness at that level. So that's a lot, but it's uh, it's not something obviously that is a common experience for many people. Although that's one of those danger zones where with the right psychedelics, sometimes people who have done two banishing rituals in their life decide they've crossed the Abyss and now have cosmic consciousness and are finished and all set. I couldn't resist that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that's good. I have a question to go along the lines of crossing the abyss, you know, for you know us and the audience, adding the understanding of where Cornzon comes into that when crossing the abyss, because in you know, Crowley's work, it's like exemplified as so extreme that it'll completely erratic. If you bring your ego across the abyss, you will be brought into the Great Black Brotherhood or into the darkness forever, never able to crawl out. So I would love to hear your take like.
Speaker 1: That would be a poor choice, right like it? You know you chose poorly, But yeah, kronzm was sort of the the demon corns on the sort of Crowley's personification of chaotic, dispersed mental functioning that can happen when we are trying to hang on to ourselves in a process that demands we let go of ourselves. And if you you know, if you struggle against that, you can drive yourself crazy. It's also a good way of understanding the the way that transition of abyss crossing can actually feel. It Clely describes this in various places, but it's everything becomes fragmented, and formula that have worked for you don't work, and nothing makes the sense it used to make, and each experience sort of is like a funhouse mirror of you know, So if you don't go into that consciously and with an awareness of what's happening, it just feels like you're going crazy. So Corronzon, I think, is a good like character that you know fits that kind of experience. And then for context that Cronzen was shows up in Croley's series of visions called the Vision that the recorded and the vision of the voice for listeners.
Speaker 5: And then maybe a you can or cannot answer this, I'm most likely you can, but you can choose not to. Is then what is then? Do you think that Crowley was so far out of whack? Or do you think I wonder about his workings in the desert then with what he was doing taking Korn's on in himself actually in the evocation, like what do you you know? What do you think of that?
Speaker 1: Well? You know, obviously ultimately it worked well for him in terms of his overall path. That might not be the prescription I would give to someone setting out for that work, but hey, you try this. But but you know, through another lens, if what we are saying, ultimately, if this is what we believe about the universe, that there should not be any artificial distinction between this or that, then the appropriate approach to kurns And is not stay away from me, krons and you're the bad thing I can't allow to be in my world. Instead, you just embrace it along with everything else. Because it can't harm you if we're all one thing, you know, it's all one energy. But I imagine there may have been some of that kind of intent with with Crowley, that kind of I'm going to deal with whatever's here because the choice it's here, the choices. Am I admitting that or not? You know? Am I Am I pushing against what's real? Or Am I going to embrace what's real.
Speaker 6: And to accept it and to know it and tend then to be able to move past it.
Speaker 1: Right right, and and orffuse with it? Or you know, develop it like a some sort of micro organism that just kind of you know, globs around that the next cell and gets bigger and is you know, always growing instead of fighting against it?
Speaker 5: Did did? Do you think? Is it true? I've read so many different takes. Then did Victor Newburgh go crazy after those workings?
Speaker 1: I haven't done a whole lot of biographical exploration of Victor Neuberg, but you know, he didn't vanish completely after that, So you know, I don't have a fully satisfying answer to that, but that's I don't think he vaporized.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And it's interesting how a lot of the skeptics want to not give these individuals autonomy that like Victor Newberg didn't have his own autonomous being as in going out there choosing to do this stuff with him, you know. And I think that's fascinating, especially for those of us who have chosen to take certain entheogenic routes in our past and then ourselves felt like we've gone crazy and did return. And it's like if anyone were to see that from the outside, they'd be like, oh, somebody did that to you, and it's like, oh no, oh no, that was me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I guess that this is a good point to say that clearly, looking at at Crowley's personality and life choices and such, there's no expectation for Telamites to live like Crowley lived. This is one of the other probably a more misunderstanding more in the mainstream public, I would say about this when someone looks at Felima and says, wait, Crowley was the head of this religion and he did all these things, and he had weird sex and took drugs and was sometimes not nice to people and all that, So why would anyone be a part of this religion that assumes a worldview where religion over the founder of religion is a model for behavior. It's the system that is the model for behavior, not the human Curly. And so here you get into trouble with what we might call croleanity, where where it's you know that the idea is clearly the human is there a model for behavior, which no one I know feels that way, but maybe some people on the fringes think of it that way, and people encountering fe Lima in the general public might be very confused about why anyone would be a part of a system that Curly created because undoubtedly, you know, you sometimes made bad choices and treated people badly, and you know we've all got false.
Speaker 5: Of course, yeah, which is something I will state for myself. Who I know that for people to listen to me talk, they'd be like, well, obviously you're a Felamite, and and internally I'm like, yeah, that's definitely true. I've read and practice and done the thing. But then when I see the New Age spiritual community out there and a lot of the Fellamites that call and pronounce it on all their banners, that's when I that's like, it makes my nervous system tingle uh and cringe. And so it's really hard these days. Do you know what I mean to be like, Oh, yeah, I'm a felamite. I'm like no, I'm like no, I don't know. I've read Cooley and I like his you know. Anyway, so that's kind of my own, Like I get really weirded out in those things, even though I'm like, yeah, definitely a fellamite, of course. Yeah, I do what thou wilt loves the law. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Well, I think one of the big problems is that people don't understand that Crowley was an explorer at heart, Like this is why he was a mountain climber, this is why he did extreme things in general, is because he was exploring other things. He's not necessarily a prophet on top of the mountain telling every everybody what to do. That's a very different perspective. What he's trying to do is saying, you know, this is what I have to do for me. Reading through seven seven seven, it seems like he's intensely self critical, almost as much as he is about other people, because he's trying to properly explore these things in a way that is very hard to define, right, I mean, we're dealing with subjective experiences that are almost impossible to nail down, and that's that's something a lot of people miss out on with the exploration.
Speaker 2: Good point, thank you, since it's getting into the show. I did want to get into it for listeners who happen to hear like AA and think of it as a secret society. Alista Crowley, could you let people know and give people an idea what is the purpose of that system?
Speaker 1: Okay, So AA is Crowley's original. We've Curly and George Cecil Jones who he was working with. We're both in the Golden Down. Curly Earlian Jones worked together pivotally around nineteen oh seven to start the AA, which was his revisioning of a system of initiation coming out of the Goldendon that he thought would be kind of a new and improved way to do this. So it cut out all the group ritual work except for a couple initial initiatory experiences and that are like in Temple, but other than that, it's a one to one teacher student training organization where the structure is always the same and the tasks are the same from grade to grade, but you're given one teacher. Now a teacher might have many students, but each student only has one teacher, and the idea was, let's strip away the potential distraction of the social component. That Crawley really had a bad taste in his mouth coming out of the Goldendon because of the way that group was administered specifically, and the AA began to publish a lot of the fundamental documents of the Limit tradition in the Equinox Journal that Corely edited for a number of years, and it has persisted in an unbroken line to today. There have been splinterings here and there, but it's never stopped, and we administer it today through the portal for my work with the AA is, as I said, one Star insight dot org. So it's the one to one teaching structure temple. The Overstar, in contrast, is in service to AA, but has reincorporated a lot of the fundamentals and landmarks of the Golden Dawn Temple tradition of having group initiations and group ritual meetings that still have the component that what everyone goes home to do is their individual work in the structure in terms of assignments and rituals and meditations and so on. So a lot of vibrant growth in both these organizations in the last fifteen years or so, and I think the flame is burning as bright as it ever was. There's far more people involved than ever were in Crowley's time.
Speaker 2: For example, another question I had on that is, how do you think this discipline training protects people from like fantasy inflation, spiritual burnout?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question. Take burn out first, just because the word jumped out at me. And one of the that's one of the helpful roles of community that you know, you genuinely have people who do care about each other, and they're all doing this work, and they're all doing their best to bring the best of themselves to their interactions with their fellow seekers, you know, so you get supported and also you get the judgment in a good way, like the practiced judgment of working the system that the chiefs of the temple and provide, providing guidance with, you know, testing on how a ritual's done, or reviewing a diary and kind of talking with the person about what that experience meant to them and how it fits into the personal, mystical or magical work they're doing. And so you get eyes on your work by someone who has literally done the same work and been supervised by someone who made sure they were doing it the right way and so on, and so the opportunity for self delusion is much reduced where there's someone to catch it and say no, actually, that result you had is expected for stage one and not stage four. So you're really you know, keep working on stage one. You'll get there. You know, the encouraging, but you keep people focused on the steps in front of them as stid of letting them get ahead of themselves. You are doing You're guiding a person through the work in a structured way, and so it's done in a stepwise fashion that has proven to be successful, has proven to set a good foundation for later work, and so in that way, it's it's one of the most efficient ways that I know of to train people. And really presenting the systems of initiation is one way of understanding my own true will in this world. It's clearly something that I care deeply about. So I think I got your question there.
Speaker 2: Does anybody anybody have any other ones? Before I keep going with this, what parts of the A curriculum do you think might actually be the most misunderstood by outsiders? Hmm, if you think there was.
Speaker 1: Any Well, most people outside the tradition have so many misunderstandings about what magic re recult is, the movement is, or who Curley was. That God is like large for misunderstandings. But in the on the micro level, that's sort of the nerd level, I think, hmmm, you know, you could point at particular rituals that maybe miss misunderstood or mispracticed. Sometimes, you know, you know, Curley writes which is often with two or three levels of meaning, and there's what he's seen to be saying you're supposed to do, and then you realize from reading his commentary somewhere else that what he's really meaning is like that's just a metaphor for what's going on inside with your visualization. Or he says, you know, to to to be doing something that sounds rather outlandish, but really it's a it's it's it's a metaphor for a certain state of consciousness you're supposed to hold during the the performance of the ritual. So a lot of stuff like that that is just people not reading deeply enough or taking it too literally or whatever. So that's probably a better answer than trying to drill down on a particular ritual practice or something like that.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting answer.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Uh I would assume you'd be able to explain this. Uh I do know. Like I think if somebody was actually interested in getting involved in one of these things, you would have to actually be suggested a certain amount of book, certain group of books that you're supposed to be read, and then take a test on that before you can even become a student. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: And the traditional AA approach to the student curriculum, a person writes us for basic information, they're given a list of books to collect and study for at least three months. Anytime after that three months, well, once they've told us they have all the books, then the three month clock starts. Then anytime after the three months they can request an examination and if they pass that, they're invited to become a probationer. So that's the very traditional approach to to AA work. For Temple of the Service, Star initiation is by application and interview, so there's there's no pre study sort of in that approach.
Speaker 2: You want to go a little bit more into that one now too. Give people an idea about the difference.
Speaker 1: Maybe sure, yeah. So one of the cardinal differences that I've already pointed out is the group versus solo aspect. Instead of being just you and your teacher, if you live near one of our working groups in Temple of the Silver Star, you attend a monthly ritual that is an group ritual for energy raising and healing and personal empowerment, and then you're with each initiatory degree. It's a trio of a life based system, just like the Golden Dawn and the AA. You're given a hefty pack of materials for reading and study and practice, and that will always include some writing and you know, a little bit more academic leaning kind of learning, but then daily personal, magical and mystical practices, and the psychological dimension is addressed through things like projection monitoring and other kinds of self awareness practices. So this is all done in the context of of the framework of a Golden Dawn type organization, but with with the Law of Thelema as its core. Like the whole point of it is an unfolding awareness of true will for the initiative. So there is some overlap in terms of the style of practice from the AA and Temple the SilverStar. You know, between the two. As you can imagine, we're all kind of delmites doing Willy McGuirk. But those are some of the key differences, and you know, one person may be more suited for one and another person for the other. We've got a number of people, of course, over the years who've done them simultaneously because they're different enough and have different kinds of benefits structure.
Speaker 2: One thing I do want to ask you, go ahead, Britly, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, thanks Nick. My question then, is somebody in the occult magical community who has his own school. He started at his own thing. He has continued stated how the Golden Down does rituals up to a certain point and then the AA kind of takes over and then has the RITUALI stick up all the way up into the epissimus. Is there is there any truth to that? It like goes all the way up to the minor and then the Golden Down kind of stops itself, and then you know, the AA picks up where that left off. Does that make any sense to you?
Speaker 1: Well, you know that that's if you look at the history of the systems. That's accurate in the sense that the original Golden down didn't really conceive of their system as taking one all the way to the ABYSS, for example, and having initiatory degrees up to that point. That was one of Crowley's innovations with the AA. So you can, well, I'll speak to the organizations I run. But with Temple of SilverStar, our whole system does bring someone to knowledge of conversation of the HGA. One could do that in the Temple of the Silver Star and never join the AA at that point. You know, it's accurate to say that if one wanted to take it further, that would be in an AA structure, because from getting beyond knowledge of conversation into the next steps is really beyond the scope of what we could do with some sort of group training experience. I mean, think about what we've been talking about here in terms of the nature of the ABYSS and all of that. How exactly would one, you know, do a group ritual and have someone else train you in that experience. It's entirely you're you're kind of on your own in the in the cosmos at that point. But getting up to knowledge and conversation you may need human teachers. And so both AA and Temple the Silver Star gets you to knowledge and conversation.
Speaker 2: One question I got for you real quick, what does AA mean? Somebody's asking that in job.
Speaker 1: It's more or less universal that it is one or another version of words and other languages meaning silver star. But I prefer publicly to be because there's so much debate about it and some degree of silliness around it that it's easier just to say AA one way or another. You know, it adds up to silver star. I do want to clarify that Temple of the Silver Star is a group that isn't a A, but you know acknowledges that that sort of silver star of the name is of course hinting at the fact that we're in service to AA. So I just I say that because I don't want confusion about the Temple of the SilverStar being AA.
Speaker 5: Is that more of a tholamic group that is like a precursor to the AA workings.
Speaker 1: Well, some people do them simultaneously. It's probably more common for someone to come through the Temple of the SilverStar as a preliminary course of training and then later pursue AA work, not because it has to be that way, but because the temple work is such a good foundation so that when you go off and kind of do so much solo work, you've already had a lot of practice. You've already had a lot of supervised experience with ritual and diary keeping, and you got all that momentum, so you hit the ground running with AA as opposed to it being quite as much of a sink or swim thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting. One thing I did want to ask you too, Maybe you could, you know, let the listeners know. I think a lot of people get confused with the rituals that Cruelly actually wrote. I like a lot of people, especially like in other communities like the conspiracy community, I think they think like the Pentagram ritual and the Hexagram ritual was written by you know, could you let people know like the difference between which ones were golden doing and which ones was actually Cruelly.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, let's take some of the basics, like that the golden non had the lesser ritual of the pentagram and the lesser ritual of the hexagram. Crawley presented those in more or less their golden non form in the early publications of The Equinox, but then he later went on to do his own versions of pentagram and hexagram rituals which he gave different names to that had slightly different purposes. But you know, we're his vision of sort of like a new, aon new new the Limic world version of some of those traditional rituals, things like the Star Ruby and the Star Staff, Roley's penogram and hexagram versions. But that that's probably the clearest example of things that get confused. Yeah, a lot of the it's you can't really overstate how much of Crowley's basic magical education was entirely through the filter at the Golden Dawn work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't thank you, and I would I would even say, in like his, his even probably full in the tree a little bit differently than the other ones would.
Speaker 1: Can you restate that.
Speaker 2: Like his his rituals, if you wanted to map them on the tree, his would even fall somewhere a little bit differently, like I think Star Ruby fools a little bit higher up the tree than the Pentagram normally would.
Speaker 1: In the sense certainly in the sense that within the ritual itself you are doing certain magical visualizations or actions that correspond to you know, sphere on the tree above to fareth and really going all the way up to the abyss there, so you're kind of plugging yourself in at the pentagram level, but also stretching yourself up to encompass the whole tree after a fashion, and the traditional golden down style lesser pentagrammatol doesn't do that. So that is a good example.
Speaker 2: The one thing I did want to ask you about you and your hexagram ritual not to put you on the spot. I do think, if I remember correctly, in living the Lima, you actually do change a little bit compared to how it was. I think the wording for like a pophus and maybe even something with isis I think you might have changed it up. Could you tell us why?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So when Crowley published his When Crowley published The Equinox and he published the traditional Golden Don versions of the pentagram and hexagram rituals, this was before he had fully embraced what the law of Felima was going to be in his life and how he wanted to teach that and what that what the implications would be for rituals or doctrines or whatever, so and what he what he eventually did with the star Sapphire as a hexa gram ritual doesn't really replace the function of the traditional ritual of the Hexagram in terms of being able to invoke or banish specific planets or zodiacal regions and things like that. So so what I felt, I and of course double the Silver Star. We have private different versions that accomplished the same thing. But what I did in Living Thalma was I wanted to talk about the x Gram Ritual. I didn't want to just represent an old, aon so to speak, version from Crowley's early days before he really had time to think it through more. And so I tried to come up with like a Thlemic era version of the hex Grammatual that would let go of some of the vaguely Christianized symbolism that was left over in the Golden Dawn terms of the Dying God formula as we know it, that sort of christ formula, and make it more Selenic. So I changed some of the terminology and intention behind the work there. But the other thing is when Crowley published the hex Gram Ritual, this is really nerdy, and I apologize, but for those doing a deep dive, the original publication of the hex Gram Ritual by Croley described how the hex Gram Ritual would have been done within the vault of the Golden Dawn, the second order vault, where the attributions to the quarters are different. And so what I presented in leming Thalma was how someone approaching this work as an aspirant not in the presumably not in the in the in the golden non second order vault, would would do it with the elements in the quarters just the same as they are in the pentagram control. But that was another important part of the way I presented it. That's different from some other published sources.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that, I do, Yeah, I do think I remember there could be a difference where it be like either air or fire. You're starting off within the east, right, depending on how I could be wrong on.
Speaker 1: It, right, Yeah, that so you know, like in a pentagramm ntrol, you've got air in the east and then coming around and in the So that's the way I can form the hexagramm ritual to be as well. And it's not that I did it, it's that the tradition had always done it and it just hadn't been published correctly that way with an identification of why.
Speaker 2: Nice, Yeah, I forgot all about that. Yeah, I used to see people, I guess, argue over which direction you're supposed to be starting over, which element you're starting off with, depending on I'm sure you've seen how people can mind fuck the lima on the Internet or traditional like magical use. I mean, people argue about anything sometimes, but I do get it there is there's a difference depending on the situation.
Speaker 1: And if we are arguing.
Speaker 4: Right, people are still arguing over the thought that in what Crowley did there, So yeah, he laid out of his reasons pretty well, so you know, I kind of agree with him a little bit more. But what are your thoughts on that, the changes to the thought that versus the right of way?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean primarily the the the Hazoti switch in terms of the the Emperor and the and the priestess. I'm sorry, the Star and the priests, the Star and the Emperor, I get this right, being swapped in their places on the tree or the attributions to them and so. And I've grown up up with the thought deck, so it's a little hard to feel it the old way, you know, and say, you know, here's the different vibe, because it never really lived with with the the the pre crole version. But certainly there's there's a lot of debate. I'm I'm the last person who's gonna come in here and say there's one correct tarro or something like that. I think it's it's pretty evident from our discussion here that there's lots of ways to get effective work done, and arguing just delays our progress.
Speaker 5: Do you do you think that Book four is still one of the greatest homes to read for somebody who not only wants to be a beginner, but also somebody who is an advanced practitioner.
Speaker 1: Well, if you have aspirations to to work in a the limit context, that's indispensable. You know, we're talking about the big Blue Book for the big which contains the Little Book for which used to be the only thing out there. I'll Book four. But yeah, it is such a compendium of important stuff and a pretty impressive editorial apparatus as well, which weaves it all together. It's probably not the best book for a beginner to pick up and say, let me get into Crowley, unless you're really going to start at the beginning and of the book and focus on some of those preliminary materials first. But I think that things like you didn't ask this question, but I think things like eight lectures on yoga, maybe Magic without Tears in terms of ely stuff that might be more approachable for a beginner. And then you know, there is some good modern stuff out there, and obviously my books, but Alan Duquet does great tacts that are good for beginners too, and so we continue to grow.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Nice. Yeah. My first two were Book of Thoth and twenty years ago and at the same time, the Big Blue Brick and I haven't looked back since.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And what's beautiful about those things is that they like unveil themselves, you know. So it's like it was meaning Like the Book of Thoth was so meaningless and yet had so much meaning at the same time where I'm all like, oh my lord, I knowed this means something. I need to figure out what is going on with this because you get little little gems and stars as you're reading it, and then you can read it a year, five, ten, twenty years later you're like, now it's it's unfolding, like a hyper sigil or like a great diagram.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. I mean it's kind of a universal experience. I think of people are approaching this work that whenever you read anything, you realized you needed to read ten other things first, and so then you read those things, and then that leads to the next hundred books.
Speaker 2: You know, keep going backwards. Yeah, other directions. Yep, yeah, right, that's possibly I think part of the game, right, A part of the fun of it. Maybe, I don't know. Oh yeah, yeah, it's part of the journey.
Speaker 1: It's a fun rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Did anybody have any other questions before we wrap it up? No, everybody should, Okay, David, was there anything that you would like to say or like leave us with, either about like you know, the lima a still just though I'll promote yourself. What would you like to leave us with?
Speaker 1: I guess, well, I've thrown out enough I think r ls and things, but I I'll kind of close on what I What I often try to do with people is encourage them that if you're interested in this work, there's a lot of avenues of solid training and or you know, resources for your personal work and personal study. But the main thing is to just persist. You know, you're going to have dry times, you're going to have dark times, You're going to feel disillusioned and that's just going to happen no matter what path you're on, and know no matter how you're doing it, but don't give it up. Don't stop. Do the work even if you don't feel like it on certain days, and trust that at your core it's making a difference and keep persisting and aspiring.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, doctor David Shoemaker. Before we wrap it up, let me have everybody real quick. Let everybody know where they can find out the other rejects, Judith, how are you? What's going on? Let everybody know where they can find your stuff.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 3: Thank you doctor doctor David Huemaker for sharing your knowledge with us today. It was very enlightening and encouraging at the same time. It's nice to be on the panel. Everybody else is the same too, And you can find me on YouTube and on Twitter. I'm sorry, on X as the Loom, thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you for making it. And my man Headless join.
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 4: You can find me on x and on YouTube. Tonight We're doing more rust at Gods with jewels, so I'll tell you when I find out, but checked my Twitter to see that time's lots.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you very much, and my man Brandon the Maggis.
Speaker 5: Yes, thank you so much. Nick, this was fantastic. Thank you doctor David Shoemaker. I've been again. Your work has been indispensable in our fields. And I was just like a giddy little school girl and Nick told us all that you were going to be coming on. So this was fantastic. Everyone, come check me out. So I'm going to be doing a lot dropping a lot of different videos coming up with my live streams with I have doctor Heatherlin coming on. I've got all kind I got American Esoteric, we got all kinds of stuff going on. To go over to a YouTube Magas in the Media X Magas in the Media on Instagram. Thank you again, Thank you Brad.
Speaker 2: And Robbie Marx.
Speaker 6: Yes, this was great, Thank you doctor Shoemaker. It was great to meet you and talk to you. And I appreciate your time that you spent with us as far as myself R Marx Robbie Marx artist illustrator. You can check out all my stuff on my link tree at link tree r M A r X and that'll pull up everything for you. And thanks again Nick.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, I appreciate it. And again doctor David Chumakan, thank you so much for coming on. It was really a pleasure. Again, like I mean, you really hugely shaped my outlook on magic. There was a time where I wasn't sure about it anymore, and looking at the way you did it was really what kept me in it, and I do believe is what helped me have the experiences they did. So again it you're just a very influential person and I can't thank you for coming on the show. This is totally blowing my mind and it was really a selfish treat for myself to even have a conversation with you. But I do think you left the listeners with a lot of great information as well, so.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. It's been delightful and enjoyed meeting you all and great great questions and discussions. So thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Of course, no, thank you, and thank you everybody in the chat that's where we go live. Thank you for the questions and the comments. And until the next one, everybody be well. Lena