Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r h. Garden Line with Skin Rictor. It's trim.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as many.
Speaker 3: Things to supposing.
Speaker 4: A sound.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to garden Line Sun. Good morning gardeners. Thanks for tuning in. It is It is gonna be a good day, and it's going to be a good show today too. And the thing that makes it a good show primarily is your questions. When you call in and ask a question, I promise you this, there are there are a lot of people have the same question. You know, if something pops up in your it's like, where did that? What is that? Where did it come from?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: It's not just coming up in your yard? You know, all all the people around the Houstern area are likely to have similar kinds of things going on. So go ahead and call in give us a question. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I'm gonna talk about a few things today that are timely. By the way, was that rain or what a lot of you guys just got a gully washer. I actually was out of town this week and I got back and I had seven inches of rain in a rain gage and it kind of made me going, Okay, wait a minute, I know we didn't get seven inches, so did I forget to pour it out the last time? But anyway, everything is well watered and we'll take it right now. That's for sure. It's going to be a great, great weekend too. Hey, I'm going to be at Arburgate today, Arborgate Garden Center that is up in Tomball. For those of you who just moved to the Houston area, you got to see this place. Arbrogate is just west to Tombull on twenty nine twenty. Just head up to forty nine Tomball Parkway, head out west to twenty nine on twenty nine twenty. It's just outside of town on the left hand side. I'm going to be They have a number of giveaways that they're giving away there. I'll be answering your gardening questions. You can find me just you can say where's Skip and they'll point you to me, or you can say where's the peach Ballini machine and they'll point you to me. And I promise you I'll be right there. That's where I'm going to be hanging out. But come on out. This is my last appearance of the year. The very last one well of the year. Hold it go back, last appearance of the spring. I'll be doing some more in the fall, but for the spring it's the last chance I get to rub shoulders and look at samples and do all those kinds of things. So I hope you come out to Arbrogate. It's gonna be an awesome David to coming to Arburgate every day is remember when you come there to park in the back, there's a parking lot in the back. So for those of you who haven't been in a while, well you want to turn down Trischel Road, which is think of it as a loop that goes around behind Arburgate. And when you turn down Trisher you can turn before Arburgate or after Arburgate because it is a loop goes from twenty nine to twenty around back to twenty nine twenty and you'll see the big sign for the parking lot. It's easy, easy access. If you are contemplating trying some new things this year in the garden, I would suggest one of the best things you can do is add a container to your landscape. Each year, I buy a nice little container. I've had my share of plastic pots and those are great. They grow stuff. They have their issues. One of them is they don't last long. But if you get you a really nice container, we try to buy one, maybe one a year, just a really nice one and just keep building our collection that way. By the way, Arburgate has awesome pots, awesome containers you get. You got to see them when you get out there. But containers, if they have good drainage holes and quality soil in them, you can grow pretty much almost anything in a container that you would grow in your flower beds and your vegetable gardens. And you know, even small fruit. There's small types of fruit that can be grown in a container. You need a good mix. Now. Jungle Land distributed by Nitrofoss is that exact thing. A good mix. It's a blended Canadian blonde peat with four sources of aged organic matter. It's got microrise of fungi in it also, and they work in cooperation with the plant root making those roots much more effective. It holds moisture adequately and it drains moisture excess moisture very well. Jungle Land flour and vegetable planting soil. That would be the one that I would put in the outside pots, jungle land flour, and vegetable planting soil. You're going to find nitofoss products in many places. If you head down to Pasadena Fisher's Hard Groun Southmore, you'll find them there up in uh them or sage mind area rather on Beamer M and D. Beamer has them, as does a Stanton shopping center in Alvin, Texas on North Taylor is where you can find night frost products. Well, you're listening to garden Line and here is a phone number seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r h.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: So, anyway, planting containers, how about vegetables if you ever maybe you don't have a vegetable garden and you're going, you know what, I don't want to plow up the back forty I don't have room for a garden or whatever. All right, Well, there's other ways to do a garden than that. But one simple way is just a nice good sized container.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know you if you can get a container of oh, anywhere from two to five to ten gallons, you can grow a lot of different kinds of vegetables in that size of container. For small leafy greens, smaller statued plants, A two gallon container would suffice like things like lettuce, by the way, it's not lettuce season, but things like that. If you're going to grow something a little larger that's gonna fruit, like a pepper or a eggplant, then you need at least a five gallon container. And certainly with tomatoes, you can grow a tomato and a five gallon container. They don't generally sell them by the gallon. You know, you look at the diameter of the top, and then the diameter of the base, and the depth of the soil and all of that. But if it'll hold about think of a five gallon bucket. If it'll hold about that much, so you can grow a tomato. But I wouldn't recommend that. I would recommend going bigger than that. And here's the reason why it gets hot here and no matter what you're growing. One year, I had a brigmancia an angel's trumpet, and a nice large container. It was gorgeous, but I was watering it twice a day. You know, it had some volume to it. But that's a plant that's drought tolerant. So the more soil you give your plant in the container the more growing mix media, the better off it's going to do, and the less likely if you have to go away for a day or something like that or two, your plant's going to go into stress. So sol volume here in the South is important. If you watch gardening shows filmed up north or on one of the coasts or something where the conditions are different than here, you'll see smaller containers, but not here. Bigger is better, that is for sure. Well, I think it's time for me to take a little break, which I'm going to do, and we'll be back perhaps with your question seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two if you like the numbers fifty eight seventy four, I'll be right back. Good morning, Good Saturday morning. Glad we have a chance to visit about gardening this morning, and that is exactly what we're going to be doing. Uh, if you are interested in giving me a call seven one three two one two kat r H seven one three two and two kt RH Hey and Chandy Gardens down in the Richmond area. Actually it's on the Katie Foster side of Richmond on FM three fifty nine in Channa Gardens. Is such a cool place. I love. I love going there and visiting because there's always going to be something that you haven't seen before, or something you have but maybe you didn't have the selection that you're going to find down and Chanted Gardens. By the way, it's Mother's Day coming up, so there are incredible options for gifts down there. There are some of their pottery just a wide range, you know, from traditional, beautiful traditional types of pottery to very unusual you know, painted owls and frogs and everything else under the sun. It is just a cool place. You need to go see it. See what I'm talking about. Mom would be really happy to get a gift from their gift shop as well. Oh and they have they've got a really nice selection of Kurrcuma ginger in tulip gingers are they do well in shady spots. They have a beautiful bloom head that comes up out of the center of the plant and uh, it just gorgeous. Makes a good cut flower too, by the way, But ask them to see their Corcuma ginger And if you've got a little shady spot and you want to add some beauty and some color into it, that would be a great way to go. Really good way to go. I love their I love their gingers. Gingers one of my favorite plants too. I really enjoy that. Hey, here's an idea for mom. How about one of the tropical hibiscus from Enchanted Gardens. A tropical hibiscus, It just a gaudy flower, looks pretty all year. I mean all you know, all the growing season. It's a warm season plant. Uh you know, you can bring it in and protect it. I had one that I put a little protection over outdoors and it killed it back, but it's coming back out of the base now I had and a big giant container. I love those plants, very beautiful, and they also I wouldn't say they may cut flowers, but you can snap off the flowers at the base when they open up and bring them indoors and enjoy them for quite a long time. You don't have to stick them in water necessarily. And I say a long time, I mean through that day. Aibiscus flowers last the day. If you want to find the Ingena Gardens, go to this website Ententedgardens Richmond dot com Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. When you get there, you're gonna find an unbelievable selection of pots and plants and whimsy in every kind of way a beautiful garden art as well as well as fertilizers from Microlife and nitrofoss and Nilson, plant food and medina and soils from Nature's Way and heirloom soils too Intented Gardens Richmond dot com. That's what you need to know. I uh, now that I'm back in town, I've got some fertilizing to do. And one of the things that I need to get done, in fact I will get done this week, is taking care of some of my containers. Now, think about this. A container. This is obvious, but a lot of people don't really think about the ramifications of it. A container has the whole root system of that plant in it. So if you take something like I said, I had a tropical hibiscus and a container, well, if it were growing in the soil, that tropical hibiscus root system would be going far and wide all over the place. But it's confined to the container. So every drop of water, every molecule of fertilizer that that particular plant gets has to come out of the container. So we need to make sure and keep them extra watered, and we need to make sure and keep them extra fed. That doesn't mean overdoing it, It means just take care of them. And Nelson Plant Food has a line that they call the nutrist Line, and the nutri Star line has specific types of plant fertilizers. For example, there's a vegetable fertilizer. You know, there's one for acid leving plants, one for hibiscus and flowering tropicals. That's one I need to be using this week. But there's also one nutristar citrus, fruit and avocado. And so basically if you eat fruit off of a plant, that fertilizer is for that, Okay, citrus, all other kinds of fruit and avocado. It works well on oranges and lemons and limes and avocados and kumquats, and for semons and papias and figs and peaches and apples and you know, grapes. I mean it is a quality mix for that. It's a strong, strong mix that when I say strong, I mean it's got everything. Okay, It's got the main nutrients in it in the right ratio. It's got micronutrients in it as well to prevent common deficiencies. Going to get a good root system, good growth, good development, and therefore good production. Nutri Star from Nelson Citrus fruit and avocado food want of many nutri star options that Nelson offers. So how do you fertilize when you're doing these well, you want to fertilize them in small amounts or with the products going to gradually release it. Either way you go. Just don't dump a ton of salt based fertilizer on the root system because that's overdoing it. You know, we learned the lesson in life, right that moderation and all things. So you just give it small amounts and just continue to feed them. You want your plants to be healthy. You want them to be growing and have the nutrition they need and the water that they need. That's very very important. So if you want color containers, you got to fertilize them. I learned this with I learned my lesson on this with Petunia's trailing type of petunia. One year I had it in a container and was watering it and taking care of it. In those things bloom just about bloom themselves to death. I mean there's so many blooms you can't even see the leaves. But anyway, I was just taking care of it with water, but it just sort of played out. And that happens after they really bloom heavily sometimes. So what I needed to do and what I now do, is you cut them back after they start to decline a little bit, if they start to decline a little bit, and then fertilize and water water that fertilizer in and it produces new growth. Now you may be going, yeah, but I want flowers. Well, you can only have flowers if you have new growth. Here's why new growth occurs. You get leaves, leaves or solar panels. Solar panels collect the sun, leaves make plant food called carbohydrates, which fuels bloom production and fruit production too for that matter. So you always need good growth and you want to take care of your plants. So on those petunias, if you start to kind of dwindle a little bit, just before they get totally, run it out and just go ahead, cut them back, fertilize them with a quality product and watered in really good and boosts some new growth and then another cycle of blooms will follow that. Just don't let it go too far. Don't be afraid to prune back your annuals. That's a perfectly okay thing to do, even perennials too. I've got some salvia that I pruned yesterday, salvia that the salvia that I was pruning specifically, was in a little less light than it wants to be. It was a very bright shade with some sun. Salvia likes a lot of sun, most of them, and so it was getting a little lanky. So I just went back and I cut branches back halfway to it. And everywhere you cut it by salvia back, you're going to get two shoots from where there was one. And then you cut those two shoots back, now you have four. And so what you're doing is you're creating a smaller stature bush with more terminals, more shoot INDs, salvia's roses, many types of plants at the ends of shoots. So anytime you share back a little bit, you're going to have more blooms because you took one shoot, which can make one bloom or bloom cluster, and you turned it into too. Do you see what I'm saying. So don't be afraid to cut these things back, fertilize them, get them going again, and they'll look really good, very very good. If you would like to call with a question and if it's something related, maybe that a photo would help you know, if you say, oh, there's a bug, and we'll describe it to me. Well, it's kind of small and it has six legs. Okay, we're not getting anywhere here, so send me a picture. You send me a picture, call my producer Alexandra and get the email. Send me a picture, but you got to follow up on the picture with a call. Just not able to handle all the emails that come in, but really helps for a phone call to have some photo to see if it's that kind of identification. We got some folks that are going to be calling in today with just that. Uh. I was gosh, I see about three or four weeks ago, I guess I was visiting with with Cliff at year Round Houston dot Com. A year Round Houston dot Com is a specialist when it comes to coreation and compost stop dressing.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: They come out to the place they do the aeration, they spread the compost. It's a nice, fine textured, high quality compost. I was looking at some of the material they use. It's excellent.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: And we were on a site where you know, we were doing kind of a demonstration of it, and and I was getting some pictures and things. In fact, I posted something to Facebook about it. If you live inside the Beltway, you need to give Cliff a call year round Houston dot com. If you get a chance to do that, I would recommend that you do. And here's why. The getting oxygen done in the root system, especially in a clay soil, getting organic matter down into the soil, all of those things help stimulate grass to grow. Now, if your lawn got thin for whatever reason, could be diseased, could be drought, you know, whatever it is, and you're needing to fill it back in. Some of you had debris piled up from the storms and stuff, and it sat on the lawn and kind of sent it backwards a little bit. Call Cliff at year round Houston dot com, Year Round Houston dot com. Here's a phone number eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five eight three two eight eight four five three three five. They serve that area inside the Beltway, and I'll be happy to come out and discuss with you what might need to be done at your place. I love, I love seeing a lawn respond after that cory. You know, the most beautiful turf, some of the most beautiful turf in the world is golf courses, just beautiful, and they aerate those they do areate those, especially areas where you've got foot traffic or where it's kind of getting pounded and compacted. Aeration is essential. You get a sail that's compacted down where I can't get any oxygen in it, and you can put fertilizer on it. You can put water on it if you want, but you're not going to you're not going to see the results that just opening it up, I like to say, breathing life into the soil. That is what aeration does. So those dog paths, those human foot paths, wherever the pitty powder or a little feet are starting to beat that grass back, you need to make sure and get some aeration done in those areas, especially Gosh. I think probably when it was a while back, I was Disney of was Sherrit Plants for All Seasons, and I was there with some of my family. We were looking over the things they were going to redoing some of their landscape and just you know, it's spring and pleasure seas is a fun place to shop. I mean, they got all kinds of stuff, but I always like to go by and just see what's new, what I have now, and they, you know, the plant world continues to give us new cool stuff, and one of those things is is a port of laca Porto Laco. Personally, those plants are the succulents that are annuals that bloom and bloom and bloom and bloom. The balloons last about a day, but there's always a dozen blooms waiting to come on. They have a type called color Blast color Blast double Porti Laca, and you just have to see it. Instead of thinking of a little flat flower like normal porta laca, this just has petals all over the place. I don't know if describing it as a carnation is fair, but that's somewhat what it looks like to me. But it's an awesome plant and they've got it and several different colors. By the way, they also have some wonderful plants for pollinators that look really nice. If you are interested in bringing pollinators into your place, that stop by there talk to them. And this is one of the nice things that plants for all seasons is You just basically go in and you tell them what you need, or tell them the problems that you're dealing with in the yard. That could be bringing them a sample or a photo or whatever. Just go by there and check it out. Two eight, one, three, seven, six, sixteen forty six. You'll get an accurate answer. They got the products you need, and most of all, they just have the knowledge and willingness to help. I'm gonna take a break, folks, and I'll be right back, all right, and welcome back to garden Line on a beautiful, beautiful Saturday morning. I hope you'll come out to Arburgate today. I'll be there be my last appearance of the year, or I keep seeing year of the spring, of the spring, I'll do some more in the fall, last time in the spring. So we are looking forward to this one. It's always fun to go out to Arburgate. It is always a good time. And they're just putting on a big kind of Mom's day shindig. I guess you could say, you've got peach ballini machine, and we're gonna be giving away some really cool stuff as well and answering your gardening questions. As simple as that. Someone asked me the other day. I get you know, people, I'm surprised because we explain it on the air a lot, but I know people don't listen to Garden Line four hours a day, two days a week. But they asked me about micronutrients and macronutrients, and you know, do just some questions basically about as mite. It's what they're asking as might is a micronutrient supplement, and what is a micro nutrient? Does it mean it's a nutrient that's smaller than a macron No, it means it's needed in smaller quantities. So if you're a plant, you're gonna eat a lot of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. You're gonna eat a moderate amount of calcium and sulfur and magnesium. And then there's these things like micronutrients like boron or zinc or molybdenum, all kinds of micros that are essential for plant life. They cannot live without micronutrients, but they don't need a lot of them. That's why we call them trace minerals or micronutrients. And that's what azemite is. Now forty four pounds bag of azemite is going to cover six to twelve thousand square feet of your lawn because it is a micronutrient. If you have a vegetable garden, I would recommend including it in there too. Ten pounds will cover about a thousand square feet of vegetable garden area. Whenever you fertilize, it's an easy time to just go ahead and put on your azamite and a separate application at that same time, same day. And the reason is because you got your spread er out and you're doing that, and it just makes it easier to remember. But you can do azmiite anytime you want. It doesn't have to be done just according to my fertilization schedule. You can do it anytime you want. So if you in the absence of a soil test, I would do it once, maybe twice a year, depending on what's in your soil. A soil tests really guide you the best. Then you know how much to fertilize. But Day's MTE is a product that works as simple as that. Let's set out now to New Keny. We're gonna visit with Armando. Hello Armando, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 10: I've got an issue with a Saint Augustine grass that I've been buying what three or four pallets in Saint Augustine grass and most of us pretty good grass. But after the rains, the groote of the Saint Augustine grass started dying looked like in dying and spreading. You know, it's just one drink on treatment I should do.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a that's a tough one rain. It shouldn't hurt Saint Augustine. I mean it can take quite a bit of water and then being submerged. That's that's one thing. But it could be it could be several things. It could be a root disease called take all root rot that's involved a little early for us to see major problems with that. But it could be that there are some types of fungus that can essentially rock the leaves off the runners. That is a possibility. And then there is a disease called take excuse me, gray leaf spot and armando. If you go out and kind of get down load to the grass and the blades have little spots on them that are purple borders with ten centers, but a lot of them. When you look at the lawn, it just browns out. If it's a very severe case of that, and we are entering gray leaf spot season and it loves moisture, so that could be a problem. But those are all a lot of different possibilities, and so I can't re recommend a cure without knowing which of those it is. Do you think you could take some pictures of it, maybe a picture of a lawn from a little bit of a distance, and then get down as low as you can and get some good close ups of those grass blades?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 4: Actually? What I tried to do.
Speaker 9: I tried to email you.
Speaker 13: The question and then I was going to send a photo, but for whatever reason, it's it's just when the said submit, it was buffering, and the buffering. I tried a couple of times, as I said, but that I'll just call and ask you about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know why. That sounds like a problem on your end Internet there, but uh, probably you have my email. Then then I'd give it. I'd give it a try again. I mean, you know, I could tell you, oh, go get a funder side and spray it, but I hate to waste your time and money if that's not what we need to be doing. It's my best guess, but I don't I'm not happy with my best guess right now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'll be glad to take Also, I was saying a video actually, and.
Speaker 4: You want video or.
Speaker 1: Pictures are probably better. It's it's less it's easier to email too, less with but yeah, just just check them, check them before you send them. Make yeah, uh, send them to me and then call in and uh, we'll we'll continue this discussion, all right, thank you, you bet happy to do it. Ace Hardware stores are throughout our greater Houston area. And uh, if you want to find my ACE Hardware stores here in Houston, a greater Houston area in fact goes way out from here.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 1: Ace Hardware Texas dot com. That is the company, that is the website that you need to go to. Ace Hardware Texas. Don't forget Texas dot Com. Ace Hardware Texas dot Com. You're going to find the whole whole crew of our ACE Hardware stores there now. Ace, Oh my goodness, they are having deals they've had in an ac other day and Gray on barbecue equipment, select brands, and you know, ACE carries the best brands and with I don't want to say this, but the Fourth of July coming up, or even Mother's Day grilling out is It's just it's what you do, right, I mean, it is absolutely what you do. And whether you need a big Green Egg or a Tragger or a Weber or some of their other quality brands that they carry. Ace is a place you can also get your little string of lights to hang over the patio out there for some outdoor ambiance. And you know, once it heats up out evenings or when we want to spend time outdoors because it's a little hot during the middle of the day. Now you can go to ACE hardware stores. You go down to Alvin on Willis Street and you got Patco Hardware and Lumber. You go to Port Lavaka Calhoun Plaza and you've got Port Levaka Ace Plantation. ACE Hardware is down there on on Mason Road in Richmond, Texas. There's just so many good Aces. I've been full Sure you've got fullsher Ace on three fifty nine. Kilgore's clear Lake Lumber on Main Street in League City. How about Child's Building Supply out there in Orange, Texas. Those are some of the many ones. If you want to find more Ace Hardwaretexas dot Com. While you're in there, grab the fertilizers you need for the year. Any kind of pest, weeds, diseases and things you're dealing with. ACE is going to have a product to help fix that. That is absolutely what they do. You know, you can take a product like Nitofas Superturf. Nitrovas Superturf is a nineteen four to ten fertilizer that gradually releases over time. Whether you have Saint Augustine or Bermuda or Zoozia. Nitropas Supertruve's designed for our soils, It's designed for our climate, is designed for the species of grass we grow here. By releasing slowly, it cuts down on mowing and it allows for your lawn to grow balance where you get a good root system. In addition to nice healthy green tops. You're gonna find night foss products like super Turf D and D feed up there in a Tomball the M and D on Clare Lake on Bay Area Boulevard or Lake Hardwe Angleton on Velasko down there in Angleton. I am gonna take a little break and we will be back with your questions at seven one three two one two kat r H. All right, I got a question for you, and how many of you have used codochrome film? Remember codo chrome film? When I first started doing photography, I do a lot of plant photography codochrome I made slides uh and uh actor chrome, codo chrome, those kind of films I use it. I don't know if anyone remembers that. Now what is film? Isn't it great that you don't have to take your film to someplace and get it developed, and then you get your packet of pictures and you look at them and throw half of them away because something was wrong when you took the picture. Now with digital, just like nap, delete that. Let's take it again. Boy? Is that ever nice? Anyway? Curious if any of you have used Coda chrome. Well, you're listening to Garden Line phone number seven one three two one two k t r H. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. We were I was out in uh you mya Arizona this week for a little while and go out in the mornings as I like to do, sit out there with a cup of coffee and just just enjoy the day. Getting started listening to the birds. And I have a little app on my phone that I found out from rich at Wildbird's Unlimited. Uh, and there's we have six Wildbirds Unlimited stores. We got the Kingwood Store down on Kingwood Drive. We got the clear Lake Store on El Dorado, Pearland. There's on East Broadway. That's where the Wildbird is in Pairland. Wildbirds on Limited is in Pairland, the Houston Store on bel Air, the Houston Store on Memorial Drive, and in Cypress on Barker Cypress, or six of them. Anyway, they Richard told me about the Merlin app. It's produced by Cornell University and it's free. And I'm telling you, I don't know if I've ever seen an app that was so remarkable, so remarkable and free on top of it all. But you can take a picture of a bird and send it to the app. It tells you what the bird is. Or you can sit there and say, listen to this and tell me what it is. And I went out one morning and I turned it on a so what is that? And there were like probably five or six birds. I didn't know that at the time, I knew there was more than one bird, but I just sat there and what bird after bird kept appearing on my screen and it would tell you right what they are and you can learn about them and everything. It's really cool. But anyway, Wildbird's Unlimited, it's cool. By the way, we're in nesting season for many of our songbirds. The folks at Wildbird's Unlimited have designed the perfect blend for that and it is called the Nesting Super Blend. You're only going to be able to get it at Wildbirds Unlimited. You can purchase it in loose seed bags. You can buy it in the little compacted seed cylinders. It works, so you know whatever kind of feeder you have, it's going to work. You want to look for Nesting Super Blend at any of our six wild Birds Unlimited stores in the Greater Houston area. Go to WBU dot com Forward Slash Houston WBU dot Com Forward Slash Houston. While you're there, check out my favorite hummingbird feeder. It's the Wildbirds Unlimited High Perch Hummingbird feeder. And get some of that little nectar product. Nectar Defender, I believe is what it's called. Anyway, it makes the hummingbird nectar lasts longer. You know, sugar water on a warm day, sitting there for several days, doesn't it goes bad? And with this it'll extend that life out, oh maybe seven to ten days at least up there. Going forward, We're going to head out now to Atasca Seda and talk to Louis this morning.
Speaker 15: Hello Louise, Hello, Well, first of all, Skip, I have to tell you my husband and I came here after he got out of the Navy to Houston in sixty six for work.
Speaker 7: Been here ever since. But I grew up in Atascota County.
Speaker 15: You did, yes, Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Do I know you? And you grew up in Charlotte?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm I'm, I could probably be. I don't know your big sister.
Speaker 1: All right? All right, well I used to go u now here. Everybody's listening, going, when are you all going to quit this? I used to go work in peanut fields in Charlotte, moving irrigation pipe in the I know Charlotte very well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because we were a Texas A and I kids.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well you didn't call me to tell me that though, No, I didn't.
Speaker 7: I've called to you about stickyweed. That's what Randy called it, and it has it's been this, I mean this spring than ever. So I don't know what the proper name is it for it, but maybe you know about it. He just said, you just got to pull it, that.
Speaker 1: Is That is the case. Yeah, and it it has to have light to be able to germinate and come up, so you know, to avoid it in the future, keeping those beds mult where sunlight cannot reach the soil. Uh, it it can't get established. That and then that's the number one thing you do to avoid sentencing yourself to hand pulling weeds. Uh. There are some post emergent herbicides that will kill it, but in flower beds those products typically will kill your flowers too because they're like the sticky weed the broad leaves.
Speaker 7: Well, So anyway that yeah, and I know I've lost a lot of mulch in those areas and it's time to renew that. But anyway, so I need to get somebody. But long story, I just thought this is I was out yesterday looking at all that and pulling, and I thought, I've never seen it this bad. So anyway, that is a dollar we too have been just ferocious in the beds. So anyway, but just let me tell you when I heard you when you first introduced yourself on the radio and you said, you know where you you grew up in Jordantown or whatever, and I thought, oh my gosh, anyway, yeah with you, yeah, yeah, exactly. Well I did at My brother's two years older than me, and I said, we both. I went to school there till third grade, Umbulow All moved my dad there when I was four years old from South Louisiana. But long story short, I went to Great but you know, but Sargo, we moved over to Charlotte Field. He had to work to Charlotte Field. So my brother knew, probably some two years aad of me. So he's I said, do you remember Richters? He said absolutely? And a friend of mine says there's still Richters in that area, but I don't know if they're yours or not.
Speaker 1: I figured they ran them all out of town by now. But all right, thanks Louise, appreciate your call. You take care, all right, Hey, if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Hey, orgy or he Siddon Gardens down there in Alvin area. Now, if you haven't been down there, you need to go all of you down in that whole region. Run Highway six, you know, Santa Fe, Alvin and out from there. Jory Siddon Gardens is your hometown garden center. They if you're in Alvin, you're heading towards Santa Fe. It's not halfway to Santa Fe, but you turn right and it's back in that way. It's on Elizabeth Street. Jray has got tons of blooming roses, a lot of the types. You know, roses can be a little five flowered, five pedaled flower, or it can be what we call high pedal count flowers. Flowers but just they're just filled with petals. He's got a lot of those high pedal count blooming roses right now. He's got avocado trees. By the way, the avocados, some of them already have fruit on them for crying out loud. And it's types that are going to do well down there. Now. On Friday, May sixteenth, next Friday, Horay is going to have an avocado class at nine am. So how do you have success with avocados? Go to Horas let them tell you how to do it. Why are you there? You're going to find not just plants, but you're going to find the three sixty trees stabilizer. You're going to find Hora special fertilizer formulation. And when it comes to fruit, oh my gosh, he has every kind of fruit you can imagine, lots of it, lots of vegetables, lots of roses just in shrubs and trees, tons of those as well. Jorges Hidden Gardens on Alvin Street. Well, I don't know how we did this, but we ran right through this hour and I'm going to have to go to a break here. Ron in Cleveland. I'm gonna have to hold you over in order to give you time to be able to answer your question. If you can hang on, you'll be our absolute first up, I promise. So when we come back, for those of you who are gonna have a little free time after the show today, I hope you'll come out to Arborgate Garden Center in Tomball, where I'll be from twelve noon to two pm. Twelve to two at Arburgate, I'll be there answering your gardening questions. Beverly and the Arburgate team is putting on a little shindig today for Mother's Day and getting us all geared up and ready to go for that. The Peach Bellini ma will be out. We'll be given away some real cool giveaways as well. Beverly's going to have some copies of my book out there that I can sign for if you'd like me to do that. And mainly just come, bring your samples, bring your questions, bring photos on your phone, and let's help you find solutions to what you're looking for. That's the plan. We want you to have success. And success means learning to think like a plant. Think about that, Think like a plant. How do you make a plant grow? It's really simple, it really is to give it what it wants. Does it want sun or shade? Does it like moist soil or does it prefer to be on the dry side. Does it grow in the summer, in the fall, the spring, the winter? What seasons is it going to do well? What varieties are you going to find that do well here? Because they're varieties that like our weather, you can't change the weather. You can't change a climate at the freezes and heat and all of that kind of stuff. But you can't pick a planet that wants those conditions that we have here. So that's what we do on Guardline has help you have a more bountful garden and a more beautiful landscape. We'll be right back hang on, run well, good morning, welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us. We are gonna run straight out this hour to Cleveland and talk to Ron. Hey, Ron, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 14: Good morning Skip.
Speaker 16: I've used some ornimation that you've gave me to get my yard really good shape. I got bermuda grass and I've ideate a weed and it looks like it's green ki Linga and I use the Texas A and M turf Grass website. Little uh. It comes up three leaves with a sea pod in the center. I've got weed spray ful, I got weeds fray for it. I'm going to mow and bag the area. But I'm questioning when to put down pre emergent herbicide because I thought it was just like two times a year. So I'm looking well Kalinga information on that.
Speaker 1: Right. Kalinga germinates when the soil temperature is about sixty so that's about five degrees warmer than something like crabgrass, for example. So in the spring, on my schedule in February, we're talking about pre emergence to try to get ahead of things like crabgrass at that time. If you don't have other grassy weeds you're dealing with, you might delay it a little bit and do it. Let's see you were in Cleveland, I would say probably late February or early March. But those products of the barricade is pretty effective against color as a pre emergent. Post emergent, you got to go with the sedgehammer type product. And it's gonna take more than one application. Okay, kalinga is a yeah, it is a sed johuh yeah, okay, Well let me put this way. We treat it. We treat it like I said, it's very closely kin to nutsedge and uh so when you do the sedgehammer, you're going to spray it. Make sure that I would do what's called sedgehammer plus. Uh it has a surfactant already in it to make it stick to slick weeds like nutsedge and klinga sedge haammer plus. And you're going to do it, and then colinga will not be killed by that, It'll be weakened, and when it starts to try to regrow, you hit it again. And the two applications generally will do the trick. But one, can I just throw one more thing out there on? Kalinga loves wet conditions, and if you have a way of drying that area out a little bit. Maybe it's not turning on the irrigation as much. Maybe it's putting in subsurface drainage to keep it from stay in a swamp, you know, or too wet you will. You will slow Kalinga down a lot, and it makes it easier to manage.
Speaker 16: Okay, Yeah, it's been pretty wet and I hadn't water to pole hot. I did put down pre emergent, but I think maybe I put it down too early in February.
Speaker 1: So I heard.
Speaker 16: I thought last week you're talking talking to a guy on the radio about putting down pre emergent like barricade Again, how often is it? Because I did it last fall, the end of summer that I did.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, in early February? Can I do it? Applications? So these seeds, well, yeah, you could. Kalinga has primarily already germinated in our lawns, So you know that would be doing it about sixty ninety days later after the first application helps extend that pre emergent capability. But I think as far as the kalinga you're dealing with, probably not not as important to get that done a second time. Right now.
Speaker 16: I'm just want to prevent those I just want to kind of prevent those seeds that are there now from stay into the ground. So when would be the next barricade.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you could, well, you can do a barricade now, but I would say in the in doing it in late February, if kalinga is your goal, would probably be a better time to do it. Those products last about sixty days, depending on several factors. But yeah, okay, but good luck getting ahead of that's it, Yes, sir, Thank you appreciate your call very much. Heirloom soils they deliver up there in Porter, Texas the bulk and if you want a super sack or if you want them to bring a bunch and dump it on the driveway. You know, maybe you're creating a bunch of garden beds, or you know you're top dressing your whole lawn, and a do it yourself operation or maybe whatever. You're gonna need yards of that stuff in order to do this, and Heirloom Soils can get you fixed up. They've got leaf more composts, super high quality, very fine texture. They've got veggie and herb mix. You know. They they even have things I don't talk about a lot, like a lawn mix. It's it's a kind of a it's got a masonsand and compost mix for beds, really good for preparing for sad to be laid down. Put it down for that. Uh. If you want to give them a call, just go to do this, go to the website Heirloomsoils dot com airloomsoils dot com because they're they've got the uh, the way that you can find out how much you need you know you need it. It's a calculator. It's you know, I need it four inches thick, and I need it ten feet wide and fifteen feet long or whatever. And it helps you do all the calculations real easy for you. Heirloom Soils many products available by the bag all over town, and quality products like a product for rows and other blooming plants. I mentioned the veggie and herb mix.
Speaker 10: One of my.
Speaker 1: Favorite products that they have, and it just goes on and on. Airloom Soils produces quality products and they're widely available here in the Greater Houston area. That's kind of nice. Let's see, we're going to go now to Mike in sugar Land. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Skip, Thanks for taking my call. Yes, sir, got a question for you on the Saint Augustine grass and I did send some photos in I had put down this year. I had put down the early green up even before that.
Speaker 1: I put down the.
Speaker 17: Pre emergent herb side around early February, and I think the early green up around mid February, early spring, around March fifteenth, and then it's amazing mite in early April, and you can see from the photos there. I've had this occur a couple of years ago. I thought it was a fungus and I was treating it for fungus, but as it turned out, it was out by the curb and I think it was chinchbugs.
Speaker 1: It was probably a little bit later in the year, but.
Speaker 17: I'm not certain what I just want to get your thoughts on this, what this looks like, and maybe a potential product or two that might be able to remedy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know my gut on it is a take all root rot, and you can't diagnose take all root rot looking at a picture, you know, accurately. But I've just seen it enough to wear those symptoms. It looked like maybe it got a little drought stressed out there, especially the one out by the curb. The other areas, it's just it's on erratic and it's interesting to see and it's struggling in some areas, So who knows. Originally there probably was a combination of things. If you get my schedule at gardeningwith Skip dot com, get the lawn pest Disease and weed schedule and look at take all. The primary time we go after take all is in the fall, in the fall season, but we also can come back in the spring and go after it then as well. You can do a little bit of pete moss top dressing. Pete must be in acidic and you'd put it very like a quarter inch or third of an inch deep, only it's very very little of it out there, but spreading it out that helps suppress the take all a little bit. And then the on the schedule. Is the ingredients that you spray that helped control the take all. I would go that route. It's the grass that's there, looks good and it looks like it has the ability to fill back in if we can get it healthy. Okay.
Speaker 17: Any particular chemical that I should be looking for or product that it is the Pete moss.
Speaker 1: Uh. The product is a zoxy stroban. That's the chemical name. But go on my schedule. It's on there and you can find out you can find out more about it on there. There are not many forms of a zoxy stroban out there on the market unfortunately, but that's the one that you're looking for. Okay.
Speaker 17: And I did want to mention I do remember codochrome. I do remember codochrome.
Speaker 1: Oh good, all right, Hey, thanks for the call. Appreciates there you go back in the day, all right, thanks sir.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a break right now. When we come back. Bob and Porter and John and deer Park you're our first two up.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, folks, Welcome back to the garden Line. Good to have you with us. We are talking gardening today. You can join that party by giving as call seven one three two one two kt rh. Microlife Fertilizer six two four, that's the green bag is the number one selling organic fertilizer in Houston. It is not a salt based fertilizer. It is made from one was once living, you know, like composts was made from what was once living.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 1: Microlife six two four is a wonderful relate ratio of nutrients at three one two ratio and it releases them slowly because microbes break it down and turn it back into the nutrients that plant need needs to take up to support growth. It really works on lawns. I would suggest if you're doing the six two four, go ahead and get Microlife HU mats Plus. That's the purple bag six two four is the green bag. HU mats plus. The Purple bag HU mats plus is concentrated compost in a bag. Now you can use it anywhere, just not just a lawn thing. You can mix it into the soil with whatever you're going to grow or plant or whatever. But in the in a line, what happens is as you add the humans plus year after year and you're continuing to build it up, you're improving the soil quality. You're putting humus into the soil. It's good for microbial activity, it's good for soil structure. It forms a lot of things in the soil. Two products of many products from the folks at microlife that are widely available and at work. That's the bottom line. They work. Let's go now to Bob in Porter, Texas. Hey, Bob, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 4: How did you get up? How he does?
Speaker 1: I'm good, sir.
Speaker 4: I've got a.
Speaker 19: Couple of things that when I'm planting with damatoes, I always put a little bit of lime in. Do I need to re up that? You know I'm getting I'm getting a lot of tomatoes right now. Nothing right, but I don't want to get to bom right on the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the blue I'd be careful with overdoing the lime. You know, if you do it every time and you add more lime, you can get up the calcium levels a little too high, and that creates its own problems. The bloom rot is because of a lack of calcium to the end of the fruit, but usually it's caused by water fluctuations. You get a new tomato plant in the spring doesn't have a good strong root system. You see more of the blossom in androt early on than you do later on that same plant. But if it gets real dry and goes to wet or wet or dry, that's that's when we see more of the blossom androt, which is why it can happen really bad. And a container as well. So I would watch the water fluctuations as a primary thing, and then it'd get a little soil test done and see where you are on calcium levels. You may already have enough calcium, all right, sir, And.
Speaker 4: One more line quickly, if I could, I've got it.
Speaker 19: I bought a little low key lamb key lamb, and I posited up with just big enough in the house for the for the winter time, and.
Speaker 4: I get, I get lots of balloons, but no key line. Shit, I don't know what what's going on there? Good balloons, No, no, no fruit.
Speaker 1: You got to have bees to come by and do the pollinating. That's number one. So if there's not a bee doing it, then you've got to do the bees job. Get your little artists paintbrush and and tickle the flowers as you go around, making sure you're doing the bees work or spreading pollen around. Uh, that would be the number one thing. If the bloom's set, but then the little tiny fruit falls off, well that's a different thing, and that happens often on a young plant. If a plant overloads with those little, tiny, tiny blooms, that will also cause them to aboord a bunch of them. But I suspect probably it's a pollination issue based on what you're telling me.
Speaker 19: All right, sir, and so, but I don't need two. I don't need two of the trees. Just one still, Okay, as long as I get out there with my little paint brush and pollinated myself, yes on.
Speaker 1: That plant, one is okay, sure.
Speaker 4: Enough, Okay, yeah, so much, Thank you, you bet.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call. Appreciate that. Good luck. Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery out there in Katie, Texas. In fact, if you go out ten and you get to Katie Fort Ben Road, you turn north and it's just a little bit up the road there Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery, And this is a cool place and people drive to get there. Sure, West Houston, go to garden center. Really for all of you out in the west direction. Now, Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery has outstanding water garden things. I mean, they if you want to go full fledged, you know, with waterfalls and ponds and all that, they can do that. If you just want one of those disappearing fountains where the water runs off the top of the of a maybe a ceramic type of jar, and then it just circulates back in, they can do that. And they've got big beautiful ones, and they've got small ones, you know, take and go. They've got the little fountains where it's like three bowls pouring one water from one bowl to the other to the other, so you get the sound of that moving water. It really attracts birds into By the way, Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery right now they are having a Mother's Day sale and that will be through this weekend. Twenty five percent off all roses, all fruit and citrus trees, the self contained glazed fountain, that's what I was just describing, the cast stone fountains and other things. It's several other things as well. Mother's Day sale twenty five percent off right now at Nelson Water Garden and Nursery, just up Katie Fort Penroad. Let's go out now to John in Deer Park. Hey, John, welcome to garden line. Yes, sir, can you hear me? How are you today? Okay?
Speaker 4: Quick about uh?
Speaker 1: Last summer planted?
Speaker 20: H can you hear me now?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, So last summer I planted, there we go.
Speaker 5: Last spring I planted two. I think they're they're pigmy multi trunk palms. They're small, they're only about a foot foot and a half high, but they like each one had three trunks coming off of it. Well after the freeze, all the fawns uh fell you know, died and fell off. So I don't see any new life coming from the trunk except for the bass. There's some new growth around the bays.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to see if there. Does that mean they're yeah, yeah, your questions throwing me off a little bit. The pigmy itself is a single trunk palm, but they often you will often get them as more than one plant, kind of put all together near around the bottom. So I'm not sure if you're dealing with a pigmy being a single trunk palm, it's not gonna put up new shoots from the bottom. It doesn't sucker. Now, in nature you do see that a lot, but most of the time in cultivated palms in our yards and stuff. They they don't do that, but growers will put three or four plants in one pot to make a nice fuller specimen. So I guess it could be a pigmy. Here's the deal. Here's the reason, the reason I'm I'm going through that is a palm tree has most palm trees have one living bud, and that's at the top, and if it dies, the palm is dead. No matter what. There's no nowhere for it to come back. Some palms can sucker out of the bottom, and then if you lose the top there's the potential for getting a plant back out of it. So sounds like you may be seeing that happening on yours, okay, so just be patiently. Well that's that's all that's in your power. You know, if we could, we could know for sure when you say you're seeing, are you're seeing like a little kind of a bump at the bottom with some leaves coming out? Or what are you seeing like a.
Speaker 5: Full uh what do we call them? Bronze or bronze the Yeah, it's like a fool okay, coming from the like the base of the tree.
Speaker 1: Then in that case, I think you're okay, Uh, that old shoot has been dead a long time now, the old trunk, and uh pretty soon here you if you want to take it out. And it sounds like you got something coming back from the base, so yeah, whatever whatever them, Yeah, yeah, whatever is going on there, that's a good thing. That's a good thing. Would you cut the old trunk? All right? Okay, yes, you know, let's get it. Just because I'm not real sure which creature we're talking about here for sure, Let's just give it a little more time and once we get into June, if you don't see any sign of growth at the top, or if you kind of poke around up there and it just it's just all dead in there, then you can cut it out. Sometimes things are slow to come back, but there's life in it, so we want to let it get pretty good and hot for a while before we give up on it. All right, sir, thank you? All right, well, good luck, Thank you. I appreciate appreciate your call very much. Jungle Land is actually two products distributed by Nitroposs, and one of them is I was talking about it earlier, the jungle and flour and vegetable planting soil. The other one is the indoor version. It's called jungle land water saving potting soil. It's got the crystals in it that hold the water an extra long time, so that as that potting mech dries out, the crystal still have moisture to supply your plants. Now you're going to find Nito FoST products at many places. You go down to Clute Lake Hardware on Dixie Drive, Fisher's Hardware in Baytown on Alexander, or go out to Branham Plants and things. They carry Nightofoss products out there as well. Well. I am looking at hitting a hard break here pretty quick. I did want to mention though to you. I talk about Medina products a lot, and the has to grow six to twelve six. If you're going to put a plant in the ground, you need to just keep it on your shelf out there in the garage or in your gardening shed. Aster grows six twelve six mixed in water, drenched in provides lots of phosphorus and other good things. It's got humic acid and it's got seaweed extracts and Medina soil activator in it. You soak it in wait about a week or so. Soak it in again. Wait about another week, do that third application and that plant will as I like say, hit the ground running. It just performs well. Medina has to grow six twelve six plant food widely available here in the greater Houston area. I'll take a break now and we'll be right back with a call from Bill and Sugar Lamb. Hey, welcome back to the guarden Line. Lead to have you with us today. Listen, enchanted forest. They are all geared up to help you make your mom's day a really special one. They've got beautiful blooming roses. They've got tropical hibiscus. Mama loved those, and even fragrant fruit trees, you know, things like citrus that has a wonderful fragrance to it. They also have figs, they've got peaches. They basically have a lot of cool What does mom like? What is your mom like? You know, if your mom love peaches, why get her one, take it out and plant it for her unless she wants to do it herself and just have that time. You know when those kind of things make memories, Because every time Mom looks out at a beautiful rose are a peach tree, she'll remember that time spent not just like, hey, here's a plant. Good luck n yourself out, but time spent coming out and getting that done. Time is the best gift we can give. And I can't think of anything better than gardening types of gift. They got perennials like salvia and Echinacea's there just beautiful. Their garden gift shop is unbelievable, artisan candles, garden decore, really unique local fines. Pretty much every kind of mom. There's something in that gift shop that they'll enjoy. Maybe she loves roses, excuse me, herbs. Herbs would be a great gift too. You can do those in containers, combine a container with some herbs, or you can plant them out in the ground. Of course. And if you don't know what she wants, well, nintended for gift card gives her the freedom to explore choose the things that speak most to her heart. And by the way, if you've never seen the fairy gardens, they got fairy gardens out that you walk around, these big trees kind off the left of the building, and the whole ground is just this little fairy habitat. I don't know what the term would be for it, but it's got all the little tiny figurines and houses and plants and things like that. Just go see it and take the kids. Kids going to love that too. By the way, on Saturday, that is, let's see to Oh why tell you what? Go to the website. I've got a contradiction here on my times and events and stuff. But go to the website and check out the upcoming events there is there's let's see. Get the date right here. May tenth today, Yes, today, Painted with Love from ten am to eleven thirty pm. Paint with Love art making with Mom. They're going to have the opportunity to do some painting with local artist some Harlow is going to do a beginner friendly painting class. It's a guided section. You'll create your own abstract floral artwork and it's just a fun time. Just call them you find out about it, find out the price and the tickets and stuff. Hopefully they still have some openings out there, but all of it is an intended for us down to Richmond Rosenberg area. We're going to go now to Bill in Sugarland. Hey, Bill, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, Skip.
Speaker 17: I am the Bill that sent you the picture last evening of the little yellow.
Speaker 14: Worm receiving my grape grape grape vine leaves.
Speaker 4: And I want to know how can get rid of it?
Speaker 1: Well, I believe it or not, I do not recognize that caterpillar. It is not any of the common grape eating caterpillars. Now obviously it is eating your grape. So here's the deal. Forget what its name is. We need to spray those that of any kind of plant like that that you see. Spray it with either BT, a product containing bt bs and boy teas and tom, or a product containing spin, no said. And it's like the word spin the letter O and the words sad Spino sad. And either one of those sprayed on the foliage. When a leaf feeding pest chumps that foliage, the Spino said, or the BT, if it's a caterpillar, will will shut it down. The BT spray about every three days for a little while, the Spino said, will last a little bit longer than now.
Speaker 4: Okay, And where can I find those?
Speaker 1: They're easy to find. Where are you calling sugar Land? So you can go to any one of your Ace hardware stores down there in sugar Land area. You can head up to excuse me, the Ace Hardware. Oh gosh, it's on three fifty nine Mason Road, No. Three fifty nine. A plantation is down that area. What about Yeah, and oh gosh, yes they have everything. Okay, there's nothing they don't carry, so you could do that. And then the enchanted, Oh good, well, it's good good to know. All right, Well, thank you bill, thank good luck. Shut your low bugger down.
Speaker 14: Okay, bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: D and D feed up in Tomball. It's gosh, about three miles west of Tomball. Uh and it's on twenty nine twenty So if you're heading up Tomball Parkway two forty nine, when you hit twenty nine to twenty, go west, turn left, go there about three miles. The Over family has had that place since nineteen eighty nine. The new expansion they did, I believe about a year ago is it just makes it even better because when you walk in there, you're going to find products that you just don't find a lot of places. They do a very good job of carrying past disease and weed management products organic and synthetic that you're just not going to find a lot of places. You're going to find fertilizers there from nitrofoss and microlife and Nilsen turf Star and Medina, the jars of Nelson plant food. You're going to find soil from heirloom soils and it's basically if you want to make your garden pretty, make it productive. Dandy Feed out there just west of Tumbul is the place to go. You can give them a call. Two eight one, three five, one seventy one forty four. Let's go now to Pearland. We're going to talk to Sharon. Hey, Sharon, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 2: Hi, scoop, thanks for taking my call. I called about my Saint Augustine. Thought that I recently put down in a very large bear area underneath an oak tree. So's it's down there, and during the week we got about an inch and a quarter of rain. So what I want to know is how much that I be watering that sod going into next week and beyond. It's going to be warm next week. They say, yeah, well I planted some of it a week ago and some of it was planted yesterday.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the general rule on sod is twice a day the first week, once a day the second week, and then start backing off to where you're only watering once or twice a week eventually, so under the shade of a tree, it's a little less demanding. But when we say twice a day, we're not talking about an inch of water twice a day, right, We're talking about just a little bit to keep That sod came in with very little root system because they sliced it all off with the clay when they harvested the sod, and so you got to keep that moist and the ground below it a little bit moist is well in order for it to thrive. So kind of make your decision on that the one that you planted a week ago. Definitely a little bit once a day would be enough.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: The fact that we got a lot of rain and everything got wet is good, But just remember that didn't make that what was maybe a half inch long root suddenly become a six inch long root that can take up the moisture that fell out of the sky. So I'm just saying, help it along for a couple of weeks, making sure it gets some roots down, and then you can back off.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, what I noticed when I kind of pulled it up, these little fine white roots. Is that what it should look like?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, underneath the uh huh yeah, Well I don't know. I mean, I'm not seeing the roots. You're seeing new, fresh, healthy, new Saint Augustine roots are are white, and so that that's what you're looking looking for.
Speaker 2: Alrighty okay, all right, we'll just keep it moist.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, No one.
Speaker 2: Other part to that. How soon I shouldn't be letting the gardener cut over that glass at all?
Speaker 9: Should I?
Speaker 1: Once it starts growing and needs cutting, yes, but it doesn't need cutting two weeks after a week. Just give it, give it some time, and you won't need to fertilize it until at least a month after you plant it it. Alrighty oh okay, I'm gonna have to run up against a hard break, but good luck with your lawn, and I certainly do wish you well. Alrighty, we're back, Welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. Not been to Buchan's Native Plants. They are on eleven Street and the Heights you need to go. The selection of natives they have is unbelievable, it really is. It's outstanding and it's a fun place. To go, for example, on Sunday, May eleventh, that would be tomorrow for Mother's Day. They're gonna if you go buy the Bungalow, which, oh gosh, that's a great place to shop. You get a glass of wine for your mom. So take mom with you, get her a glass of wine. It's called sipping shop, and then go pick her out a rose. They have got Listen, don't buy mom a bouquet of roses. Buy our a rose that will grow bouquets for years to go, and they have an excellent selection. They're at Buchanans Native Plants coming up on Father's Day, May twenty fourth, by the way, Saturday, from ten to eleven, they're gonna have a free class where kids can come out and they can do some hand painting on some various projects. Just go to the website. You need to learn a lot more about that. It's Buchanans Plants, Buchanans About the name of the place is Buchanans Native Plants, but Buchanansplants dot com Buchanans Plants dot com. I was talking to somebody the other day that lost major limbs on their trees when the storms came through last summer, and I mean it, they had a lot of significant damage, which a lot of people did. Affordable Tree Service is who we trust to take care of your trees in the best way possible. You cannot stop a hurricane from hitting, and you can't stop when the winds blow hard enough from it doing damage to any kind of tree. But you can prune a tree properly so it has the best structural strength possible to withstand the storms. Now, you need to call Affordable Tree soon to get on the schedule to come out there. Tell them your garden line listener when it's a family company. When you call, you're probably gonna talk to Martin's mom. Just tell her you heard it about us on Guardenline because Guardline customers are their top priority seven one three six nine nine two six six' Three and we say that again seven to one three six nine two six six y, three whether it's pruning or deep root, feeding or pest and disease, control or even stump, grinding or even just. Consultation oh, gosh don't do anything around a, tree like trenches or laying sidewalks or anything until you've had them come out and advise you before the image is Done Affordable tree seven one three six' niney nine two six. Six three you were listening To garden line phone number seven one three two one two KT r h seven one three two ONE. Two kdrh somebody called a little. BIT ago i think it's a bill done In, sugar land and he was Talking About southwest fertilizer and just you know the kind of company. They Are southwest fertilizer's been around since nineteen, fifty five seventy. Years now they have been Serving The greater. Houston area and the reason a place lasts like that. Two Things, number one products that you don't go in there and, go yeah they don't. Have it and you go in for, Something, else no they don't have. That either you go in there and they always. Have it if you, need it they. Have it that's how. It Works southwest fertilizer has herbicides andicides.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: Fungicides uh and if, you, Say well, I'm organic well they have the largest selection of organic In The greater. Houston. Area uh and that's as simple. As that, friendly service, quality products. Great selection they're on the corner of This nuton Runwick In. Southwest houston if you want to give them a call seven to one three six sixty six one seven four four seven to one three six sixty six one seven.
Speaker 14: Four.
Speaker 1: Four Uh Nelson. PLANT food i Was they southwest carries All the. NELSON products, i mean they have a wide variety of Products From Nelson. Plant Food and nelson has the Product Called, bruce's BREW and i want to mention that because it. Is unique, you know we talk about fast release fertilizers and then we talk about slow. Release Fertilizers bruce's brew is almost it's almost all. The above it is all. The above it's going to release nutrients immediately when you put it down and water. It in it's going to. Release nutrients it's a, fast release but a lot of the nutrient in it is in a slow, release form so you're going to get a gradual release that'll go out a significant amount. Of time so when You Do, bruces brew you get the benefits. Of both you get a good quick, green up but you also get an. Extended feeding and they. Carry It It's southwest fertilizer and they carry it many. Other places nelson products are widely available Throughout The greater, houston AREA and i really Like That bruce's BREW because i just think that's a unique combo and it let me just put, this way it's proven because, it works which you would expect from a product from the Folks. At nelson you're Listening To. Garden line i'm, Your Host, skip rictor and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a. Beautiful landscape that is what we are trying to. Achieve here so all you got to do is give me a call seven one three two to one two ktrh and we'll be glad to. HELP you i was watching a bit from a growers outlet the other day and they do they do videos all. The time, you know they'll give you, a walkthrough come out and take a look at what's going on. Out there so if you want to see what, they have just follow them on. Social media Go to facebook or Go to instagram and you can find out a lot of good information and kind of get. The update you can also go to, Their Website growers Outlet in willis. Dot Com growers Outlet in willis. Dot com that's. The website when you, get there you'll see the products that they carry. In, stock okay they keep an in. Stock online their online website shows you what is currently available in. The store also it even gives you, the PRICE so i don't know many places that will, do that but they will also give you the price, right there. Right now they've got beautiful. Plum arius oh, My gosh mom would, love that. Beautiful roses looking at all the varieties of roses, they carry and it's. A lot it's. Really nice you will not see a better macho fern hanging basket anywhere than they have There At growers Outlet. In willis by, the way they're just South of Willis on highway seventy five North, of conroe so that whole area. Up there those Listening In, new, CANEY yeah i Know Where new, cane is And in Willis and conroe and out In the lake neighborhoods and even down in. The woodlands this is worth the drive up just to see. The products they, also carry, of course fertilizers like microlife and nitropos and medina and. So on BUT here's i give you one more time because you need to see The Website growers Outlet in willis. Dot Com growers Outlet in willis. Dot com so if your lawn is looking worse for. The wear you know. It's thin and you've heard, me say wherever sunlight hits, the soil nature plants. A weed you got to get that. Covered up and the best way to get it covered up is get your lawn healthy now if it's struggling from past droughts or insect damage or. Soil. Compaction whatever the Folks at greenpro they're the experts in providing top quality compost dressing and fertilizing along with. Core, aeration okay so if you have them, come out they will aerate, your soil pull the little plugs out of the ground and leave them on. The surface that's how aeration should. Be done then follow that with a nice coating. Of compost top dressing feeds the. Soil biology it basically gets that oxygen down in. The soil they serve an area kind of the northwest quadrant Of The greater. Houston area so if you're Up in Montgomery or Magnolia or conro Willis, The Woodlands, cyprus spring, you know all the way Down to itan Across the interstate forty, five roughly that's. Their area greenprotexas, Dot com Greenprotexas dot com let me give you a phone number because you're gonna want to give them. A call eight three two three five one zero zero three two eight three two three five one zero zero. Three two Let green pro come in and do a corperation and a compost stop dressing to make your turf. Look great that is. A fact. You know sometimes we take care of our lawns. And things we're, watering them we're, fertilizing them and they're. Not growing so how do we make? Them grow what's? Going on why is it?
Speaker 10: Not?
Speaker 1: Working well maybe the soil, is compacted, you know maybe they're struggling. From that maybe it's a disease or. An insect and getting down to the bottom of it is the way that we turn our lawns back into what we want. To SEE if i say this all, The time i'll say.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 1: Again uh the secret to having success with a plant is to know what the plant wants and give. It that and if that plant is, your lawn well it wants not, compacted soil it, wants nutrients it wants, more oyster it, wants sunlight and you got to give. Them that but that's all. A compaction that's a deal breaker when it comes to lawns definitely affects that. Turf's performance i'm gonna take a break here in just a little bit and we will be back. For hour let's see eight o'clock hour here on. GARDEN line i implies when you're. Having fun you Know what Kermit the, frog said you said times fun when you're. HAVING flies i know it's a. DAD joke i specialize. In them i'll be here, all week, all, right folks glad to have you. With, Us hey i'm going to Be at, Arbrogate today that Is, Today saturday, may tenth from twelve. To two they're going to Have A mother's day shindig, out there and you need to come. See it i'll be over Where the balini Machine Is Peach bellini's oh. My gosh if you haven't, had one you need to. Try it we'll be doing. Some giveaways i'll be signing copies of my book if you'd like to pick one up There at arborgate eight and answering your gardening questions and basically having a. Good TIME and i promise you'd bring your mom with you that if you can't find something for Mom, at arborgate you're. Not trying we have chased the gremlins out of. The, wires boy they are giving. Us fips was it last week or the?
Speaker 4: Week?
Speaker 1: Before anyway not to. Be undone we figured, it out. All right welcome Back. To gardlane good to have you. With us glad that you are listening. In today we're here to help you have success in. Your garden that's what it's. All about oh. And fun that's an. Important thing. Don't forget gardening is supposed to, be fun and it, is FUN and i, don't know Call. Into gardline we'll have a little bit of. FUN today i look forward to those of you who said that you're gonna call in you send me some pictures and things. Like that appreciate that and look forward. To visiting we got some really interesting Pictures that i'll tell you, for sure, unusual things. You KNOW the i guess the probably the single WELL not. I guess. I know the single BIGGEST question i get on guard line is about. The lawns what's wrong with? My lawn why is my? Lawn dying right behind that would. Be trees what's wrong with? My tree where's my? Tree dying and we can help you. With that but you, know what no one ever calls me About Their. Cole robbie one of, These days i'll Get A cole. Robbie call we can help you With Your cole. Robbie too whatever kind of plants that you, might have it's all. About TREES when i Worked For, aggrlife extension we used to say that the thing that makes the phone ring or the three, t's trees turf. And tomatoes, and boy is that? Ever true boy is that? Ever true that's. For, sure hey if you want to, have success if you're looking, to have, you know just a. Beautiful place maybe it's a garden you're trying, to grow and you want it to be bountiful. As, well well you got to take care of, the plants and you. Got it first. Of all i'll put the right kind of. Plants in you need plants that want to. Be here. That's. Important NOW when i was, a kid we'd occasionally go on a Trip to colorado for summer vacation, or something and we, always, thought oh wouldn't it be nice to have a blue spruce. Back, home Well the society For the Prevention of Cruelty to plants asks you not to bring blue spruce Back from colorado because they don't want to. Be here it doesn't. Do good maybe you move From the midwest and You, remember forsythia the harbinger of spring up there In, the midwest beautiful, yellow blooms just. Gorgeous bushes. Not here they don't want to. Be here. Same thing, you know there's a lot of different kinds of plants and. Vice versa, you know plants that do well here that don't do well. Other places so go somewhere that can direct you to the plants that you're going to have. Success with and a good example of that would Be The Kingwood garden center And The Warren Southern garden center some more in. Southern gardens they're out There In. Kingwood warren this Is On North, Park Drive Kingdwo garden Centers On. Stone hollow when you go into, those places, And boy i've, been recently they just are. So cool they're, just really. Really nice you're going to see plants that just the condition of it, is amazing and the in many cases it's something you haven't. Seen, before like, for example did you know that there is Something called easter cactus or. Spring, cactus yeah it sort of Looks like thanksgiving Cactus or, christmas cactus but it blooms at this time of the year and they've got some gorgeous ones. Out there the blooms. Are different the plant. Looks similar there's a little difference in the little, stem segments but it. Looks beautiful it would be a great gift. For mom, of course they're going to have all. The standards, you know if you're looking to have vinkas or angelonia or any kind of plant that can really take the, summer heat they've got it. Out there they carry, microlife products They carry nelson products and. Many others they have the nitrofoss, for example, as well and they also will have those refill stations for your microlife and. Some products it's Just a it makes a lot of sense because seven days, a week easy, to find easy to find Warrants On, North park Kingwood On. Stone hollow you got to go check, them out and a perfect place to shop. For mom and especially if you want the, gift shop Try That Kingwood. Garden center they have an outstanding, gift shop really. Really nice you're listening To garden line our phone number seven one three two one two KT r h seven one three two one two KT r h those of you who went through last summer And watched houston area many sections lose power for two weeks at a time twice during the summer because. Of storms you know the value of having a Good general and you hear me Talk About Quality. Home, Products Now Quality home products Sells the generac automatic. Standby generator what does? That mean what means dependability and it means that when the power, goes out you don't even have time to get out of your chair before the powers back. On again, automatic standby, it's waiting it's just sitting there twenty four, to seven three, sixty five power, goes out it. Comes on that. Is convenience But Why Quality home it's. The service they're a. Standout organization, they're honest they're transparent with. Every client they make sure you get the generator you need and not something you. Don't need they go through all the hoops of getting it, set up the permissions and setting it. Up right and when, they leave that's when it. All begins because three, sixty five twenty four, to seven as, they say they're there to. Help you their customer service. Is unbelievable that's why they've Won The. Pinnacle Award Better Business bureaus most Prestigious Customer service word, eight times fourteen thousand and five. Star reviews seventy seven thousand homeowners have received their award Winning Service houston chronicle best of the best in the home contractor division is family. Owned operation they got financing. Options available you need to talk to. Them now it's a process to get one OF these uh quality generators. Set up so get that started now with a call seven to One three quality seven One Three Quality Quality home Products. Of texas if you want The WEBSITE quality tx, Dot com QUALITY t x. Dot com i'm gonna take a little break and we'll be back with. Your calls seven one three two one two K t. R, h alrighty. We're back welcome back To. Garden, line hey if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two K t r eight seven one three two one two K t. R H Uh Night fuss superturf is the product buy nonrefoss that is a slow release to carry you through. The summertime it's gonna last about four months. Sixteen weeks it's a nineteen four to ten that is designed for that nitrogen to come out slowly and just continue to feed your lawn as the weeks. Go by that's what we're looking for in, the summer nice. Even growth you're going to Find Night. Fass superturf it Places Like, bearings hardware both the One on bissinette and the One. On westheimer you head Down To richmond Rosenberg To, enchanted forest you go find it. Down there you GO to M and d Up in cyprus on The wetter road and you will Also find nitrofuss superturf as well as other. NITROFOSS products i am going to be heading Down to arbrogate TODAY when i get through it. The show i'll be there from twelfth. To two by, the way for those of you who just, tuned in come on out and see me last appearance of, the season last this. WHOLE season i won't it'll be FALL before i start heading back, out AGAIN but i hope you'll come. On out if you, got questions. Bring them you got, some weeds throw them in a zip lock bag and bring. It in will make them confess their Name and i'll tell you what to do. About them or if you just want, some advice you can bring me pictures on your phone of areas. Of questions maybe it's a problem you, want diagnosed a plant you, want identified or just suggestions for having success with. YOUR landscape i want people to. Have FUN and i say this, pretty OFTEN but i hear a lot people feel like they can't, grow stuff, you KNOW like i kill EVERYTHING that i. Bring, home well that's. Historically True, probably okay maybe, you did but it's. Not inevitable and you do not have a. BROWN thumb i want you to listen. To me you do not have a. BROWN thumb i promise you you do not have a. Brown thumb don't tell me about how many plants. You killed, That's fine i've killed, plants myself but you do not have a. Brown thumb here's what. Goes wrong we don't know what to do for, a plant or we neglect doing what we know, to do and then the. Plant, struggles okay but it's not your. Thumb's color and if you insist on talking in terms of brown and, Green thumbs i'll do it. This way if you have a brown thumb and you want it to, be green you got to inform. Your thumb so bring your thumb. With you sit down in front of the radio here on guarden line and let your thumb listen To what. I'm saying and the smarter your, thumb gets the greener it's going. To be that's a, little Silly but i'm making, a point and that point is give plants what. They want, you know you go to a good quality garden Center like arborgate. For example you've got people there that they know what. THEY'RE doing, i mean they are experts when it comes. To plants they bring in the plants that need to be. Grown here that's. Step one thank you for. Doing that they advise you on how to, plant them how to take care, of them and when you have problems, with plants they tell you what. To do they help. Diagnose it so that's the knowledge that turns your. Thumb green you go home and you, do that and you listen and you plant, those plants and suddenly people, are, going oh you got a. Green, thumb well you can take credit for it if, you want but or you can just tell them now skip just informed of, my thumb or a good garden Center Like carbagate informed. My thumb by, the way when You're, at arburgate you need to pick up their one two three completely easy system what? Is that that is an organic. Food complete that is it contains the calcium as well as the nitrophosphors potassium. In it and if heeds anything. With roots the number two organic, soil complete that is the soil with expanded shail. In it and then number three organic compost complete and that is a compost with again organ. Expanded shale what is this. Expanded, shale well it is a little rock like product that's heated and expanded to be. Very poorous you look at it and it might kind of look like kitty litter or something, to you but. It's not. It is it is a high quality product that holds that clay. Soil open organic matter is great for, all clays. Absolutely essential but it breaks down and it. Goes away that's what. It does it turns. Toward humus the shale holds up longer and it provides you, a nice better air rated soil environment for your. Plant, roots now those, last two by, the way the three were, food complete, soil complete. Compost complete the last two soil and. Compost complete arbigate will. Deliver bulk just give them. A call they will deliver, those bulks so you don't have to buy eight hundred bags for a. Big project you can just have bulk deliver it. To you arbrogate's a mile and a half west of two forty nine on twenty Nine and tomboil come on out and see. ME today i look forward to visiting with you about specific questions that you. May have we're going to go now Out to beaumont and Talk. To, Jen, Hello jen welcome To. Garden line.
Speaker 21: THANK you i have a friend who is baseticularly blind and he doesn't have, much money so he can't really afford to have someone cut. His yard my idea was to kill whatever grass there is and weed in the front yard and plant a. Ground cover WHAT would i use to kill the weeds and what kind of ground COVER could? I, use.
Speaker 1: Well there's a lot of products. Out there there are products that just kill, broad leaves products that just, Kill grasses but chances are he's got both in that weedy, lawn area and so you need a product that is a non selective it. Kills everything there's, two products one of them they have. Similar names one of them. Is glycosy that is what is used to be called. Round up now you have to buy glaphyzate in different names than, round up don't the garden centers don't carry glaphyse eate. Roundup typically the other one is glu. Glue phoscinate it sounds a, little similar but glu foscinate is in a Product called finale that, is one and it will. Kill everything it doesn't do as good a job as the glyphys eate and moving down and killing everything in, a weed but it does a. Good job and so if you don't want to some people don't want to, use glyphysate. That's fine glueoscinate's another option. For that but you're gonna here's, the Thing jen you're gonna want to spray and then wait about it's going to take a while for them to go. To work and then after a couple of weeks you look at it and, You're, GOING okay i missed a spot here or that didn't quite. Get killed you spray it again and you wait another couple. Of, weeks so and the reason is if you get most of it but not all, of it and then you, plant something you're going to have those weeds in what, you plant and you don't. Want that you want to get rid. Of them then choose a groundcover for, the area and there's a lot of good options. Out there it kind of depends on what you want to. Look at. You Know the asian jasmine is used a lot.
Speaker 14: In.
Speaker 1: Groundcovers here you did, nice shiny dark green leaves and it's a little vine that goes along. The ground that's an option that you. Can do then there's native. Ground covers there's one called frog fruit that does. Really well you get it native. Plant places it's a vining type. Of plant AND so i can't tell you which one they would like, the most but if you go to a good quality, garden center you're going to be able to have them advise you on what they carry that might be a, good mix a. Good match.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 9: So much, all.
Speaker 1: Right thanks for, The, Call jen you. Take care thanks for listening out There. In beaumont Fix My Slab foundation repair knows. Our. Soils Listen ty strickland has been doing this for twenty three years and he's A, native uestonian so he knows the, soils here Fifth. Generation texan by, The way Fix my slab can. Come out they can take a look at the situation and tell you what you need. To do even if it's like you got a driveway that's all. Messed up sometimes they can just. Fix that you have to talk to him. About that but if you've got, sticky doors if you got cracks in the, sheet rock cracks in the, brick outside any signs of, foundation movement you Need to adam. Come out you can go to the website fixmslab, dot com fix myslab, dot com or call tie two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine two eight one two five five forty nine. Forty nine tell him your guardenline listener free free estimates for garden. Line listeners if you tell, him, that uh and you know THAT'S who i would recommend they show up, on time they fix, it right and they charge you a fair price at fix my slab. Foundation repair we're going to go now To sugar land and Talk. To, Bill, hey bill.
Speaker 8: Good morning my problem involves white flies on. A viburnum the vibronum is about seven feet tall by seven. FEET across i WOULD say i learned from you last year that the systemic imitoclopramide works well to minimize. The PROBLEM so i have used that around the base of the tree six times Since last july and early. This spring the leaves were really nice and green and not all discolored like they were last year from the mold that. Is GRAY so i was really happy. About that BUT then i looked and, they're. Back Unfortunately so i've continued the Imiclopramide and i've used by finthrom also to, spray it and that there's about but they, come back And so i'm wondering what ELSE could.
Speaker 4: I Do.
Speaker 1: White flies are a problem when you so when you use, the amidacloprid you shouldn't have to use it six times in that amount. Of time it lasts a pretty, good while so don't. Overdo it but the bithenthren and other insecticides kill the things that are the enemies of, white flies which can help keep them. In check sometimes we. Have OUTBREAKS but i find that the more, you spray the more white fly problems, you have because their populations bounce back faster than the beneficials that keep them in. Check do and so you might want to try using a horticultural oil spray upward from beneath the foliage to coat the bottoms of the leaves as best. You, can SO AND i i got about ten seconds HERE before i have, to stop but horticultural oil. Sprayed upward you got to coat the bottom of the leaves and do it about every other week for a while and see if that gets ahead. Of them sorry to have, To, run Bill but i'm up against a. Hard break, All right we're back Are by welcome back to the. Garden. Line, folks hey if you lived Done In league city or, that area and by, THAT area i mean all over, that Area Like bay Cliff And, Santa Fe, San, Leone lamark Webster Cler like city, of Course Elkam, Into Reale, League City, Santa Fe, League city feeds your hometown. Feed store third Generation of thunderberg's now running. That store grandpa built that thing forty years ago In an. Okra patch and do you you know when a place lasts, that long they're doing. Something right and they are doing. Things right, you know they carry the bags out. For you, for example they carry things. You need do you need to control pests or weeds? Or diseases they've got all the products you need. For that do you want to make that lawn or garden beautiful? And productive products from, azamite products from, nitrofoss products, from microlife, Heirloom soils nelson. Plant food they carry it all and they know how to advise you on it. As well now it's a, heat store so you're gonna find pet, food there and some horse supplies and. Other Things But League city feed for you gardeners is a place you need to. Swing by they're open till, six o'clock by, The way Monday, through saturday nine. To six Clothes, on sunday so if you need to swing by after work to, grab something they're open till, Six o'clock so another reason to swing. By there i'm gonna head back out To sugar land and pick up that Call. With, Bill, HEY bill i think you may have to. FOLLOW up.
Speaker 8: I do i have two. Brief questions one is with the. Horticultural oil do you have some ideas on HOW do i get underneath? The leaves what's the best way to spray or what kind of SPRAYER can i use to get actually on.
Speaker 4: The underside.
Speaker 1: That's a. GOOD question i wish they made sprayers with different kinds. Of wands, you know the typical spray wand you almost have to stoop over and turn your hand around to get upward underneath. The leaves they should make them like those old alpine fugel Horns the ricola commercials where the guy's blowing the horn and the bottom of the horns on the ground. Turns up if we could stand up right and just spray, that way that would be the that would be best for soaps and oils and things that. We apply but the the white fly eggs and the white fly pupa and larva are underneath, the leaf and so oil doesn't poison, its smothers and so if you don't get, good coverage you're not going to get. Good control so with, THE oil i was trying to stay away from another insecticide that would just kill the beneficials. And stuff THAT'S why i suggested that if you wanted to stay with the, amitic cloprid you can. Just it sounded like you've been applying it, a lot so it should give you several months of control when you.
Speaker 22: DO apply i would say if you did a couple of times, a year that ought to be enough for the amiticloprid.
Speaker 1: To, work, YEAH okay i.
Speaker 4: GOT it i have one.
Speaker 8: MORE thing i Have two sago Palms that i'm really. Proud of they're about five feet tall and they are now shooting, new prawns both of them that are about a. Foot tall the, old prons, of course are. On there some of the old prons kind of, got damaged maybe from the low temperatures that. We had and is there some rule of them on when the old prawns should be pruned off before or after during the new frons? Coming in.
Speaker 1: The only rule of fun. There isn't you can lay mon as long as. You WANT but i would say if the old fronds are the only green the plant, really has and you'd be taken off over half the green by taking off those old ones you're, REFERRING to i, would wait because that the little bit of green they have is helping the plant until the new frons. Come in so just don't, overdo it but you can remove them. As needed, all, Right, MAN thanks i appreciate your call and good luck with getting all that. In, order hey if you're planting a, new tree or if you have planted a new, tree recently three sixty tree stabilizers. Are AWESOME they. I have i have three of them in my house, right now two, citrus trees and then there's another TREE that. I approve and you don't hear, the details but the bottom LINE is i need to get the remaining trunk back. Up right three sixty holds things. In place it, allows movement which is important to develop strength in the trunk and in the. Root system when you plant a, new tree you're gonna find those AT R cw you're gonna Find. A horaes you're gonna find It At ciena maltch. A horaes Down. In alvin you can Find a, buchanans plants or just come Out to. Arbigate today they have them there. As well three sixty tree stabilizer. It works, Let's see we're gonna go Now to Jake. In, Kingwood, hey jake welcome To. Garden, line hey Good.
Speaker 11: Morning escape my Name, is JAY and i have a, question, regarding oh, j okay, that's okay the flowering of My bogaan via And blue. Chinese whysteria if you, go online they say that the best mix is lower on nitrogen and higher. On PHOSPHATE but i have A bogan via food fertile hom in front of me and it says seventeen. Seventy ten so my question to you is IS should i be higher in phosphate or lower in phosphate VERSUS the.
Speaker 1: Mpk mix, you know the bogunvilla FOODS that i would recommend are all going to be a higher nitrogen and then a lower phosphorate and a little. More potassium whether it's, you know nitroposs has one that is the Called the. Bougainvilla Fertilizer the nelson plant food has their nutristar bougainvillia and other, flowering vines and both of those have got the mor phosphorus and then low middle number and low THIRD number i say low.
Speaker 11: In, Intermediate okay So what i'm reading on the internet is kind of. Bad info would that be the same with My blue CHINESE whysteria? I got i got blue blooms for about a week and that, Was it and in Two years i've gotten.
Speaker 4: Almost, nothing.
Speaker 1: Well that's a whole. Other monster that's that's probably. Not uh whysteria is, Vigorous already so putting putting a lot of nitrogen on a whisteria creates, some problems but they are a spring. Only bloomer there's two or three kinds, of whysteria and the way you prune them and the amount of sunlight they get are all factors and, They're blooming so that would be a whole other can of WORMS that i couldn't couldn't really get into on on on, a call, but uh just note over. Fertilize them make sure you do pruning at the end of. The year go online and read about how to prune. Them, back uh and. You should if they got, good sunlight you should see some some better blooming. Going, forward okay thanks for. The, answer, yeah, yes sir thank you appreciate appreciate your call. Very much, microlife products, you know they have so. Many kinds there's the, lawn fertilizers the, green bag the six, two four that's what we should be. DOING now i need to do that for. Your lawn microlife fertilizers in general contain billions of beneficial microbes to help. Your plants there's some products that are just basically for the. Microbial content they are, good microbes, you know they're microbes that fight disease and deal with stuff. Like that there's one called Liquid af it's kind of a burgundy maroon. Colored label it's got eight different kinds of beneficial microbes that you'll find in products for sale to. Control diseases and this product isn't made to be. A Fungicide but i'll tell, you this when you put those products out in this, Microlife product you're going to see the benefits of the good guys doing what they do. In nature let's, See Here i'm diana And c i'm up against a. Break here i'm gonna say come back to you right after this short break and then we can make sure and give you the time we need to solve. Your problem JUST before i go to break, Another reminder i'm gonna be At arbor gate today for my final appearance of, The year arborgate out West of tomball on twenty. Nine twenty if you haven't been there in, a while oh, my gosh you gotta come forget come and. See me just Come. See arborgate that place is gorgeous and they are loaded for bear all kinds of plants that you need and bring mom. With, you well what a great way to come up with A Great mother's. Day gift i'll be. Right back He little kobe calais nice happy song for a good. Happy, day gosh after the week we had, of rain isn't it nice to see? The sun that is? For, SURE Hey rcw nurseries is the garden center There where beltway eight Comes Into, tomball parkway so it's really easy access for a lot of folks all around coming into. That area, you know they're favored. OF rosarians, i mean the best selection of rubs is you're gonna find and you can check. That OUT but i would also highly recommend you take a good close look at some of the summer the heat loving color that they HAVE At. Rcw nurseries they're loaded up. ON it i mean the the tropical hibiscus THAT'S where i get got my and get my tropical hibiscus that is In the. Cajun series THAT'S one. I like there's a lot of great tropical houbiscus. OUT there i Love that. CAJUN series i just it's. Unusual, colors now if you, want boogainvillias you just need to go see the ONES. AT rcw i mean they are loaded loaded and they have the tree forms that you know they look like a. Little tree they're trained. THAT way rcw contains, are contains carries the shrubs and the trees that you need for whatever you're trying. To do we're, talking about, you know things like althea which is also called Rows. Of sharon they have those in standard forums. As well and then the quality shrubs that, are evergreens that, are bloomers that are whatever you need to fill in. Your landscape, of course they have annuals and perennials that can take. The heat but they grow their own trees up There in Plantersville At Williamson, tree farm and so they, have stunning, stunning trees, well grown, properly grown and they'll come out and plant them, for you or you can plant. Them yourself you want to get a little. Small one just be careful on that because you don't have to put, your kids your chiropractors kids through college with your back fixed over and. OVER again rcw nurseries dot com they. Get it Got it Nursery on highway two forty nine And belt. Way eight we're going to Go to montgomery now and Talk. To Marie, hello marie, Good Morning. SKIP skip i have a couple.
Speaker 3: Of Questions it's i'm overdue for my long repair and to apply the second fertilizer. This season so does the does it matter? What order in, other WORDS can i apply my long repair mixture to certain spots in the lawn and then immediately follow up with my nitrol falls. Super truth.
Speaker 1: When you say Long, repair mexica you're talking about some seeds that. You plant, oh, no no thank you.
Speaker 3: For asking this would be like the top soil and either leaf mold or common ure And sand, oh?
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Gotcha, gotcha, YEAH no. I would i would get the soil down and the fill the areas, and stuff then put your night frost in it and water it in real good so everything gets the same top of the top of the ground treatment. On that.
Speaker 3: Oh okay and SO would i be able to put the fertilizer and the soil repair on the same day? Or?
Speaker 1: Not, oh, yeah yeah. FOR sure i just know. SAME day i would just get it all kind, of repaired leveled out like you want it, to be and then do your fertilization and make sure and. WATERED in i know it, just rained but the fertilizer is not going to do anything until it gets washed down in the soil a. Little bit and, so.
Speaker 18: Okay.
Speaker 3: That's it and then on the compost does it really matter whether it's the common ear or the leaf mold composting.
Speaker 17: The, MIXTURE.
Speaker 1: Uh i would probably not use. THE colminer i would use the leaf mold. Compost instead there's various reasons, for that but but if you if you're making, THAT choice i like the leaf mold compost as a better. Top.
Speaker 3: Dressing, perfect okay, all, right well, thank you thank you so.
Speaker 2: Very.
Speaker 1: MUCH escape i. Appreciate it, all right you, take care appreciate your call.
Speaker 23: Very.
Speaker 1: Much uh piercecapes is the landscaper that are is Our garden line. Preferred landscaper they their work is UNBELIEVABLE and i just want to, YOU know i REALLY all i need to tell you is a website because pierscapes dot com that that's where you find their phone number there by, the way it's two eight one three seven oh. Fifty sixty you'll see examples of. Their work you'll see that they do, drainage work and, lighting work and irrigation work and design. Of landscapes it's a one. Stop shop do you need, rock borders do you? Need walkways what do? You need they can do. It all and when you go to pierscapes dot com you'll See why i'm so big on. This company quality quality work that is very impressive and you can do a lot of. This stuff do, it YOURSELF but i would recommend get a professional in there to really design something that is beautiful and you will. Enjoy it you really will, enjoy it that is. For sure let's. SEE here. I am i've said a question come in by email Here that i'm going to. Try, to okay here. We go we're going to head out To pipe us now and Talk. To, DIANA diana i did receive. THAT email i basically got a. Text file was there supposed to be some pictures attached?
Speaker 11: To it can you?
Speaker 24: Scroll DOWN because i did, a test, you, know earlier and if you scroll down there should be several. Pictures there there's several pictures of, our azaleas the new knockout.
Speaker 18: Rose, BUSHES.
Speaker 1: Well i tell, you WHAT uh i? See, THAT well i see where, they are but but the pictures aren't. Loading up so LET'S just i have your text. About it let's just talk about what we need. To, do okay you don't tell me briefly so people that are listening.
Speaker 24: Can, Hear, okay yes it's a similar PROBLEM what i had last year when we called. Called in but our azalea is. On there it's a bed that, runs east north and south on the east side of. Our patio the one On the azalias towards the one end are. Really green the others on the, other end the leaves are. Turning yellow they start to curl up and then they, turn brown and it looks like it's got a lot of new foliage trying to, come out but it just doesn't ever, really develop and it's getting. Very bare and also And then i'm wondering if it's maybe THAT'S why i wanted you to, see IT because i wasn't sure if it was a problem with maybe not enough water Or because I'VE used I used nelson plant food and they also use that on the, knockout roses and that's another issue on that that those are on the very back bed in, our BACKYARD and i had four last year and then they they were struggling and then they started turning black and they eventually, all died so we pulled them, all UP and i didn't want to buy four, this TIME so i bought two new ones and they were. Very full the leaves are green, and everything but now, they're struggling And so I'M what i was hoping you could see it because at one sheer it's a, water issue maybe not enough because we have the oscillating sprinklerheads that go back, and forth but they don't hit that area very, very long And so i'm not concerned that maybe it's not.
Speaker 14: Enough, water, Okay.
Speaker 1: Well i'm going to. Answer it But what i'd like you to do is FIND a i don't know if you sent this from a phone or from, a computer but if you can get to a computer and do this email again and, attach them use a little paper clip to attach them the photos that, YOU send I think i'll be able to see. Them then and if there's anything different Than what i'm about to, Tell you i'll reply in. The email, but okay when azelias are, turning yellow if the, new growth the ends of the shoots, are yellow but the older leaves, are green that's an. Iron deficiency if the whole thing, is yellow or if just the older leaves, are yellow it could be anything from a water logged soil to droughty conditions to nitrogen deficiency and. Other things where the yellow is is. The, difference now for a lot of, your plants you're describing kind of a just lack of vigor really. On THEM and i would number one when it comes. To water the best way to know is to go out there around, the bush get you a little, hand trowel and dig down about four inches six inches somewhere in there that range and feel. The soil if, it's moist.
Speaker 25: You don't need.
Speaker 1: The, water now you don't have to do that every time, you water but you kind of get you kind of get a feel literally for what. It takes saying to run a sprinkler a certain amount of time is not going to be helpful for me to tell. You, that also sprinklers are notorious for getting blocked by foliage of plants and so azaleas and roses and hollies and other things can block. The foliage so you've got areas of the root system that's not getting watered when. You water that's another thing to look. Out for so figure out if it's needing water or not by feeling the soil a few inches down below. The. Surface uh and that would be. Step one and then a good general purpose azealea fertilizer can be used on, your roses it can be used on, your azaleas and it can be used on your. Holly bushes so an esteadic clothing fertilizer would work on all. Of those it's okay to, do THAT and i would make sure it's a good dose of that and you watered in. Really.
Speaker 24: Good okay one of the things we did before spring we pulled out all that, old mine welch a lot of. That dirt we replaced it with good healthy bedding soil and uh and. SOME rose i use, rose soil and then we put, that quality, you know most. On top so we did all the way we felt like we needed.
Speaker 9: To do and then.
Speaker 24: There's one other thing. To do that's that was on the pictures that it's another thing that's cropped up that we didn't have an. Issue before we've been in our home for, you know about six, years now and it Never.
Speaker 1: Had i'm about they're about to play they're about to play music music on, me here so real quick on the QUESTION because i don't want.
Speaker 24: To, run hey the, holly bushes you'll, see that but they're all. Bear underneath and someone thought they thought maybe bunny rabbits were eating. Our foliage but we've never had a problem with our holidays. Until now and so that was another PICTURE that i wanted you. To see but they're trying to figure out is what we'll call.
Speaker 9: You that, So.
Speaker 24: Yeah i'm on my Husband with peter and then yeah And then i'll do it, that okay, all Right because i've checked THEM while i GO and i could, see them but maybe it's just not coming see. To you but thank you, so much.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it thank you, all right you. Take care look forward to seeing those and helping you. With. Those Hey. Ciena Maultch sienna maultch is South of Houston near highway six and two eighty EIGHT on fm five. Twenty one go to This website sienna malt. Dot com it's a one stop shop for setting up your plans. For success whether, it's soils whether, it's compost whether it's blo of soil like veggie and. Herb mix any kind of fertilizer you hear me talk about is gonna be out There At. Ciena maltz they deliver within twenty miles siennabultch. Dot com foundation. For success don't put plants in the ground until you've built, the Foundation And ciena maltch will provide exactly what you need for that. Good foundation, all right MUSIC means i. Gotta go we will be back for our last Hour. On guardline remember twelve to two Today, at arborgate we're going to be part of the big Shindig For mother's day out There. At arburgate bring your mom and let's. ALL meet i don't have time on the air really as you see to visit with everybody in details about. The questions but if you come Out, to arburgate we'll take TIME and i to ee bring me some samples whatever it is we want you to. Have success oh and leave room in your car because when you Get to arburgate you're gonna see a lot of stuff you can't. Live without, oh boy welcome Back To. Garden line good to have you. With us glad you're joining us. For today we're here to help you have a. Bountiful garden we're here to help you have a. Beautiful landscape THAT'S what i would like, to HAPPEN and i hope that is what you would like. To happen give us call seven one three two one TWO kt rh seven one three two ONE. Two ktrh that makes it easy if you want a doe by number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two and two five eight Seven Four Nature's way resources up In the. Conroe area they have an outstanding selection of all. Things soil and you KNOW that i always say brown stuff before. Green, Stuff Well nature's way is where a lot of the brown stuff was. Actually born, you know we talk about, rose soil we talk about leivemo compost will that Came From. Nature's Way john ferguson. Invented that His son ian now runs, a place and the whole team up there is dedicated to carrying on that tradition of. Quality product Remember every Friday Is. Fungal friday ten percent, off bags twenty percent off bulk of their. Fungal compost it's a very high quality. Organic Product Nature's way Resources. Dot com that's everything you need. To know, Go There Nature's way Resources. Dot com they sell by bag in many places. Around town they also sell. By bulk you can go get it or you can have them Deliver It Nature's way Resources. Dot com that makes. IT easy i was out there the other day Visiting with ian and oh, my gosh that place it, just keeps, you know it keeps. Getting better the garden center they do. Have plants did you know that they have plants? OUT there a lot of, native plants but a lot of plants of, all types from fruit trees, to annuals to perennials to ornamental grasses to you. Name it so when you're, out there make sure leave room in your car for some really, quality plants nice native plant. Selection especially let's, go now we're going to head Out To texas city and Talk. To, Allen, hello allen welcome To. Garden line, thank you.
Speaker 20: Good morning my question is my, front yard which is nice and green ACCORDING to i mean because of, the schedule but it's not not even a year, old YET but i got some dips and valleys all throughout. The yard i'm going to kind of level it WITH.
Speaker 4: Some i guess top soil or.
Speaker 20: Soil mix is there a wrong time to?
Speaker 14: Do, That.
Speaker 1: No and with the grass, actively growing it'll come on through. PRETTY quick. I, wouldn't well depending on how big the, holes are, you know like if it's a something size of the five, gallon bucket we'll just spill it up and the grass will crawl back over. The top but if it's a, larger area you probably want to put the soil down at about a half of an inch at. A time let the grass come. On through it a little bit, more down let the grass come on, through it just so you don't create, this big big. Dead spot Is It? Saint, augustine now of course. It is it's just here.
Speaker 20: And there, you KNOW like, i said, just budgey heck.
Speaker 9: At me look across.
Speaker 4: MY yard i can just see THE little, i said dips.
Speaker 25: And valleys, in it, like, yeah yeah they even make a they even make up a flat rake for, you know you put piles out there and it's like you're playing shuffleboard across.
Speaker 1: The lawn and it just breothes it out real evenly over the. Whole thing so you might want to try one of those.
Speaker 4: AS well i just got to put it here. And there that that's all, it is my wife.
Speaker 9: Week, or two maybe maybe three maybe well if you.
Speaker 1: If you're if you're following, the schedule that thing will crawl back in really fast and they'll be. Very happy so good Luck with.
Speaker 20: That's all IT'S all i had This, week's yeah thank you.
Speaker 1: Very much, all right thanks. A lot I appreciate i appreciate that. Very much uh have you Been To moss, nursery? Recently Folks moss nursery is Done, In. Seabrook texas and for those of you who, haven't been let me just. SUGGEST something i don't care where. YOU live i don't know where. You live you need to go check, it out you. Really do it's a drive if You're in timbuktu to go all the way To, See. BROOK texas i, know that but it's worth it and allow. Yourself time they have beautiful combination planters that they've just gotten in that look awesome and no matter what you're, looking for no, matter what from pretty little fountains. TO statuary i promise, You this you're going to see statuary and containers you've never. Seen before maybe you're into cacti. In succulents you won't find a better selection and little containers that are perfect for cacti. And succulents it makes it. Real easy while you, ride there say hello to the employee of. The month and his name Is cat cat by, the way and yes he's. A cat i don't know how he got employee of the month because Every picture i've by Seeing that i've seen. A. Cat cat he's just laying around. Doing nothing, but anyway they think he's employeed, the month so we'll go. With that They got. African violets they have. Beautiful tropicals oh, my gosh, the gaudiest most. Gorgeous tropicals you're Gonna Find moss nursery Down, In. Seabrook texas we're gonna head now Out to hoffmann and Talk. To, Jerry, Hello jerry welcome To.
Speaker 14: Garden line how you doing? This morning, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm good how can we help? You today how can We? Help?
Speaker 14: Jerry, Hello.
Speaker 18: Yes.
Speaker 1: I'm here you're kind of? Cutting out.
Speaker 14: Can you?
Speaker 4: Hear?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 14: Now hello, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, that's better that's. MUCH better i DRIVING so i had.
Speaker 14: You, On anyway i've got dis. Apple tree i'm pregnant about seven eight, years ago and the five years later it gave a bunch of little green apples and they. All fell THIS year i. HAD some i had, four apples, big apples and they. Have fallen what's causing my apple.
Speaker 1: Tree not to give?
Speaker 14: Them all.
Speaker 1: Do you have more than one variety of? Apple, tree no just one.
Speaker 14: Treat survived the other one's.
Speaker 1: All, Croked, okay well apples, need pollinators, so uh one variety doesn't, pollinate itself and so you need. Another variety do you know what variety you happened to, have.
Speaker 14: NO no i. Should don't at that time we bought about five or different fruit trees and that was the only one. That, survived okay.
Speaker 1: When, this one when this one, produced apples what? Were they were they reddish or were?
Speaker 26: They?
Speaker 1: Yellowish uh say what? Green? Is? Okay, WELL uh i, would say go buy two different varieties and then you'll. Have three and that way you're pretty sure that you've got something that will pollinate the one you already. Got, to okay appreciate. Appreciate it you giving me. A call i got, a run but, thank. You sir appreciate. That Call, all, right folks, heartbreak here we'll be right back with your. Calls already, Welcome back welcome Back.
Speaker 14: To.
Speaker 1: Guardline folks well let's, see here we got about forty five minutes left in the. Show today if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four or seven one three two one two K t r H kt R h uh have you Been To Spring? Creek feed they're up there In the magnolia DIRECTION on fm twenty nine to, seventy eight kind of northeast Part. Of tomball Northeast, OF tomball i, should, say uh. There is it's a. BEAUTIFUL store i mean it. Really is you go when you, drive up, you're going, oh wow this. Is cool you can't. MISS it i mean it's right there on twenty nine to. Seventy eight when you, go inside it is. So impressive lots. OF product, i mean if you, want feeds if you want tac for, your animals if you want. Pet food but of course my interest is you walk in the store and you turn to the right and right there you're going to find products like herbicides to, kill weeds to, prevent, wheeds fungicize, stop, diseases pesticize control insects and, spider mites and. Other things they carry a full Line Of church star Products from Nelson micro life products and nitrofoss products. As well when you, walk in you're going to be greeted, by friendly courteous staff and they really are helpful. And courteous if you happen to be military or, senior citizen there's a discount. For you just let. Them know and if you need something special ordered that they, don't have or if you need, something delivered they offer those service. As Well At Spring creek, feed again twenty nine, seventy eight just Northeast. Of tomball you are listening To. Garden line i'm, Your Host, skip richter and our phone number here seven one three two one Two. KAT right i can kind of give you a, warning here and that is that on this last hour of, the show Typically, on, sundays uh people flood the phone at the end of, the SHOW and i can't get sometimes can't get. To everybody so if you'd like to make a call, Before, tomorrow, uh well now it's time to.
Speaker 2: Do.
Speaker 1: It UH and I. Said sunday actually Today, is saturday. Isn't it tomorrow Will. Be sunday we're going to head out Now to Chris In. Jersey, Village, hello chris welcome To. Garden, line, yes sir thank you for taking.
Speaker 27: MY call i was telling your associate that you've getting out this, information before AND unfortunately i didn't write. It Down but i've got dogs in, the backyard so can't use The usual whedon feed because it's a. Bad form but you said there's one that you can GET From ace hardware that is safe to use around.
Speaker 1: The dogs could you tell me what? That? Was, PLEASE wow i don't remember. Saying that we did we begin with.
Speaker 4: The, cads.
Speaker 27: Well the whedon feed that you said wasn't wasn't hazardous the, two ANIMALS and i know The regular whedon FEED that i get from the. Garden store, you know they definitely got a big thing. On there, you know do not use around, domestic animals because As.
Speaker 1: Boy Chris I'm i'm i'm drawn. A blank i generally don't recommend weed and. Feeds outright, IN general i prefer to use the weed control product for the weeds You know i'm, dealing with and then to use a fertilizer according to the season. For that so you got me stumped. ON THAT i i can't imagine. THAT something i must have been talking, about SOMETHING but i. JUST don't i.
Speaker 14: Don't know you could have got, fed up.
Speaker 1: You know it could have been some other product that you're putting out. There now AND now i have had a questions about. Fireant. Bait uh and with, fireant baits you're putting a granule here and a, granule there and it's just not like the dog goes up and licks up a whole bunch of it and it's a super. Super, Snow, okay, WELL hmmm I guess i'm stumped on. This one so.
Speaker 27: We did the stuff, you know like, you recommended and the grass and everything's. Growing fine the, backyard though does not look.
Speaker 4: So great.
Speaker 1: Lots, of, weeds, yes sir. Mm hmmm so WHAT what i WOULD what i, would suggest, of course if it's hand pulling is always, an option but sounds like you may have take years to get them all. Hand, pulled, mowing yeah, mowing, regularly uh and then doing the three things that are on my, schedule, mow. Water. Fertilized uh doing all three of those and building that density as best. You can and you can choke out. Most weeds and there are a few Weeds like virginia button weed and dollar weed that are going to grow in a, dense lawn but most. Weeds don't AND so i would focus, on those especially if you're trying to do it without the use of. CERTAIN chemicals i think you that would be that would BE what i focus ON if i.
Speaker 27: Were you, all right, you bet?
Speaker 1: Thank you, uh huh, all right there. We go uh R C w Nursery is tomball parkway in about. WAY Eight rcw nursery is loaded. With color and right now we're going into the. Hot season, it's coming, not, today thankfully but. It's coming but when you put flowers, in now you need to put heat, loving flowers things that are going to give you the most bang for your buck as we move into, the SUMMER and rcw carries a lot. Of things they're beautiful color that survive in. The summertime, just fine give them a little water and they're good. To go you're going get good. Advice there they do carry products fertilizers and things as well to help you with your. Gardening activities but the main thing is you just got to go by and. See it you gotta look at the products that, they offer the. Credible plants it is just one of my favorite places. TO Shop rcw nursery Right Where toma parkway comes into about. Way eight we're going to head now Down to baytown and Talk. To, Mark, Hello mark Welcome. To, guardline, yes sir Good. MORNING skip.
Speaker 12: I have an oak tree and the bark is falling off and it's exposing. The limbs they're, dark BLACK and i, was, thinking well maybe if those limbs off and then put some fungus side, on IT that i could attach a hose to it and spray it to try to.
Speaker 1: Save it do you have?
Speaker 26: Any, SUGGESTIONS well i don't think that's gonna be a.
Speaker 1: Good approach i've never seen using a funderside for that. Particular situation my question is why is the bark falling? Off first and that usually is due to some, physical injury but it could be due to a canker disease underneath the bark to kill, the bark and you know eventually as a, tree grows it starts to. Fall off any idea why?
Speaker 26: The bark why the bark's? Falling off from what you've seen on. THE tree i called a. Tree man he said it's going to have to be cut down because. He's DYING and, i, say, well okay well let, me, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, Yeah OKAY well I don't i don't know why. It's dying if you wanted to take pictures of the places where the bark's falling off that, are black and then show me the whole tree a couple of PLACES so i can see the setting, AND everything i could probably give you better answer than. Right now when bark, falls off it. Falls off the main thing you can do is get the tree vigorous so that. It closes that wound. Back over but the fact someone told you, It's dying i'd come need to see the, WHOLE tree i think mark in order for me to give you a good helpful answer rather than a.
Speaker 12: Best guess BECAUSE because i was walking the pup earlier this MORNING and i looked at a neighbor's tree and there's just doing the.
Speaker 1: Same, thing okay so all send me. A picture i'm gonna put you, All right i'm gonna put you On hold alejandro pickup and he'll tell you what. To do thanks, a, lot appreciate appreciate. Your Call Ace hardware texas. Dot Com Ace hardware Texas. Dot com write that down and go check. It out it is Our Local ace hardware stores that are part of My garden, line group and you're gonna find when you. Go there you're gonna find the stores in Places Like Jnr's ace Up, and Porter The memorial Hardware On memorial drive that was there the, Other Day Crosby ace hardware out In, a Crosby The Cypress ace Hardware On, jones Road The Spring ace Hardware On, spring Cypress Their Rockport ace Hardware On state highway thirty five Down. IN rockport i used to go there, Fishing anyway they're. All there and when you, get there what are you gonna find everything you need to have a beautiful, bountiful garden lawn. And landscape you hear me talk. About fertilizers you hear me talk about products. AND things ace is a place to go and to check all of. That out head up now to tumble and Talk. To, David, hello.
Speaker 4: David, Good.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 6: SKIP hey i got two crape MYRTLES that i want to grow upward instead. Of outward and unless you tell me it's a, BAD ideal i was thinking about taking a one, inch strap putting, around it sinking, it tight ratchet it together as TIGHT as i could to where it bundles them, all together, pointing upward and just let it grow. From there, uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah as long as it, doesn't yet you, you can depending on how big the, limbs are, you know if there are already golf ball size or bigger, and stuff it's gonna be kind of hard to reorient them. Like that the only thing is to make sure that strap doesn't cut out or cut into, the branch which it will over time if. Left THERE so i might put more than one strap on and as you kind of ratchet. It down just be careful you don't go too far on that because you can come back later and do another click, or two, you know on. The RATCHET and i try to achieve that printing is your. Other friend as you got branches that are, going outward cut, those off let the ones going. Upward remain i've never had anybody asked to do, that before but that. Would, work okay.
Speaker 11: Thank you send me.
Speaker 1: A picture send me a picture of this before. AND after i really would like to. See this, all right, all, right sir you. Take care, you know. IT'S funny i have been answering gardening questions professionally for thirty six or seven, years NOW and i never had. That one and it happens. A lot i'll get A question i never. Had before, that's interesting. All right jungle land potting mix. For outdoors it's called Bed of Flower In Vegetable Servisay vegetable flower. And vegetable, It works it, drains well it holds. Moisture well it's got micro ril fungi in. The mix it's just a good all around product to use for. Your patios those containers that, you have you're gonna find nitrofos products at Places like Hiding and Feed On. Stubner airline you're gonna find them, at plants rail Seasons On. Tomball parkway you're gonna find them at, let's see we'll go one, more Place My Bellevue fishers HARDWARE on fm thirty. One, eighty well we are coming up on a break And so i'm gonna have to kind of keep, Moving here Mary And. West houston i'm gonna need a little more time for you on, The question so just. Hang on we'll be back in just. A moment in, THE meantime i just want to Remind you i'm going to Be at arborgate today from twelve noon to six, to six oh, my gosh to. Two pm they'd run me out before six twelve. To two i'll be there by The peach. Ballini, machine yeah there's another reason to, come by And It's mother's nation dig out There At. Arbor's gate they're gonna have so many great gifts for. Your mom if you haven't been out to their, gift shops you. Gotta go it is unbelievable the stuff that they. Carry THERE but i would suggest. A plant let's, do that, all right we'll be right back. Bottom, back alrighty let's.
Speaker 4: Do this.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back. To guardline good heavy. With us we are here to help you have success in your. Gardening endeavors and we've got a number of people lined up here on. The calls we will get to you in just. One Second Houston powder coders is a company that transforms. Outdoor metal that's THE way i would. Put it whether it's a, patio furniture, you know it could be a railing going down a, back porch or something. That's metal it could be one of those metal light posts in. The yard anything metal could be decorative iron on. The walls they do, cast iron they do, wrought iron they do aluminum. Patio furniture they fix it. Up right if it needs a little a weld tacking to put it back together again, in good, strong shape they can. Do that they deal with russ that occurs on these on these types of metal mini types.
Speaker 9: Of.
Speaker 1: Metal uh they also do things like replacing the hardware the vinyl strap so that sling fabric if it's a seating furniture has that sling fabric, on it they can do it. At all all you gotta do is go to sales at houstoncoders. Dot com sales at houstoncoders. Dot com and when you, get there you are gonna want to, EXCUSE me, i said Go to you need to email sales at houstoncoders. Dot com when you do attach pictures of, your furniture just attack some pictures of it and they'll look. At them they'll give you a, quick price, quick quote and then you can decide they'll come and. Get it they'll bring it back if you're in The greater. Houston area here's, the website houstoncoders. Dot com to one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight two eight one six seven six three eight. Eight eight we're going to go Now To west houston and Talk to mary. This Morning, hello mary and welcome To. Garden Line.
Speaker 23: Hello skip just wanted to get your input on A situation i've created here with my. FRONT yard. I have i had WEEDS that i really tough WEEDS that i pulled up in the front YARD and i put down SOME because i had a lot of DIRT after i, did THAT so i put down some quick grass that's the product you can get at, the store and it grows, too Fast and i'm.
Speaker 9: Not happy.
Speaker 23: With it now, That, said OKAY can i get some twenty four by fifteen inch Rectangles Of saint augustine sawgrass and start putting? THAT down i want to go Back To saint augustine because it doesn't grow. That. Grass yeah that quick grass, is cool.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Stupid YEAH what i would DO is i would spray that kirk grass with a grass. Only killer it kills. Just. Grass uh and there's there are a couple. Of products i've got a web publication called herbicides for herbicides for skips. Weed wiper if you got, A pin i'm gonna give you. My website It is Gardening with skip. Dot com and look for the herbicides for skips weed wiper and go down to the grass killers just. Kills. Grass uh that tells you the products you need to. LOOK for i got a number of them listed on there. For you and, spray it give it a week or more, to work and then do your resting when you get it out. Of, there okay Thank, You skip, All, right mary thanks, a lot appreciate appreciate your call.
Speaker 14: Very.
Speaker 1: Much uh the let's, see here who? Is, There okay Jack, And katie we're gonna Go to jack now Welcome to.
Speaker 4: Guard.
Speaker 1: Nine, jack yeah.
Speaker 18: Good, MORNING yes i have a four foot tall tin oak that has was started by a squirrel in my GARDEN and i moved him out in.
Speaker 14: The yard and he's.
Speaker 18: Growing good he's four, feet tall but he's, very thin and he's got growth at. The Top and i'm wondering IF what i should DO if i want to prove it or anything.
Speaker 1: Like, that, okay good is it in a sunny or semi.
Speaker 18: Shady location it's in a sunny location and it's doing. QUITE well, I say i moved it earlier this year and it's. Growing good and.
Speaker 1: Here Here's, the yeah here's the well it's going. To be, that's okay that's. The process you let. It grow just let it grow. For now don't don't cut. It back at, some point, you know when that when that trunk is the size of a golf ball or tennis ball, or something we can start to do some pruning on it at. That time but, right now it needs ever leaf it can create to add to strength and fueling the plant to be able. To grow so don't do any pruning on. It now it'll be, all right and then, later on maybe two years, from now or a year, from now give me a call and we'll talk. Next steps, all, RIGHT well i.
Speaker 18: Appreciate that i'll it's hanging, in There so i'm just gonna leave it alone and GIVE little plc thank you.
Speaker 17: Very.
Speaker 14: Much kip there.
Speaker 1: You go. That's it you're on the. RIGHT track i. APPRECIATE that a lot the Folks at nitrofoss went in creating this super turf that you hear me talk about. A lot they designed a product to work for our southern turf grasses and our southern soils and climate here in The greater. Houston area that it is an. Outstanding product it. Releases slowly nineteen four to ten is. The neutrals don't be spooked by. That nineteen that has a lot, of nitrogen but it's going to take that nitrogen and only give it to the plant slowly over time for about. Sixteen weeks so that is what. You want, you know plants, dislike us plants eat if you will, every day take up a little, every day and you want a nice gradual release, Like that and that's Exactly what Knight To Fass super. Trip does it's easy to find in a store because it's a. Silver bag. Silver bag easy to, find now you're going to find products like This At fisher's Hardware On broadway Street In Laporte Stanton, Shopping Center north Taylor. And alvin you head Up to cypress area and YOU'VE got M And d Cypress. On luetta You've Got Langham Creek ace HARDWARE on fm five twenty nine right there on the Backside of. Copperfield, neighborhood easy easy to find it night Fas. Super turf let's go To the houston now and we're gonna Talk. To, Thomas, Hello thomas, good.
Speaker 28: MORNING sir i have my PROBLEM is i planted three guard guardenian plants about three, weeks ago and they were about three and a half.
Speaker 14: Feet high they were blooming.
Speaker 4: Real PRETTY so i prepared my saw DAYS before i bought.
Speaker 14: My plants and.
Speaker 28: The thing, is now everything else around it is, growing nice but my guardians. And dying they are in.
Speaker 14: Full song.
Speaker 4: One of them is not in.
Speaker 9: Full song it's in uh. Three quarters SO but.
Speaker 28: I don't know what to do, to them NOT because i don't dug around just to make sure was no insects. In there, YOU know i don't see anything. Else around, but Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, uh oh we're gonna get you off. The couch don't worry. About, That uh no more on. The, Couch, Hey uh i'm gonna give you a, few Tips but i'm going to a break here, about seconds and then i'll. Come back you hang around and. We'll finish we'll. Finish up then when a new plant, goes in that root system is still confined to the pot and you may have wet soil, around it but that plant in the sun pumps that root ball dry that went in, the ground that, root cylinder and it goes. Into droughtsdress even though, you're going hey we had a rain the, Other day why why is it? In, droughtsdress well That's why i'm going to go, to break AND when i, come back we'll. Continue. This, thomas thanks thanks for. Your call, hang, On, alright hey let's let's. Do this we got one, segment left so we're going to jump right out there and head back to Talk. To Thomas, H, Hey Thomas, uh so bottom line is that IS what i. Think happened what also could have happened is that they got too. Much water and if you have a, clay soil, especially uh it becomes an underground bathtub when you dig, a hole and so you set that plan in it and then you're water in it and you just have a water table comes up and the roots submerged are are gonna dug, and die and then the plant's gonna turn black or brown, drop leaves, you know and and show the symptoms. You showed so my gut feeling is that it could be that overwatering possibly as well.
Speaker 14: Respect an. Underground bathtub but, you said so you set that plan and underwater in it in the water table.
Speaker 1: Temas, You, there, yes, sir yeah, my phone, but, okay, good. Okay. Good yeah so so a brand, new plant, you know in the garden center there water in that little pot every day and it ran out the bottom of the holes in the in. The pot and so that's why putting it in, The, ground uh you gotta steal water that little thing a little bit. Every day but you do too much and submerge it and you're gonna have. That problem or the leaves are just. Turning brown you're not seeing yellowing or primarily.
Speaker 28: Just, BROWN okay i have one plant that is, turning yellow and but it's about about twenty percent of the leaves is, turning yellow but the rest of them are real pretty and by the half or the leaves of a.
Speaker 4: Dog, Brown.
Speaker 1: Okay i'm worried.
Speaker 14: About, Those.
Speaker 1: Yeah i'm worried about those brown leaf plants because usually by tom something hits, that stage there's been a lot of damage and the chances of bringing it back start to go downhill with the number of brown leaves that you got. On it so just dig down with your hand and a trail around the edge of where that root, ball was, you know you know how big the. Pot was and then so go out and pretend you're digging at the edge of where the all those roots were and feel the soil about four, inches deep and see if it's moist or if. It's, dry well, NOT moist i should say it's not going to be, fully dry and water accordingly, to that and see how it does for the. Yellowing one if the yellowing is on the newest growth at the ends of, the shoots the yellowest leaves are at the ends of, the shoots that's an iron deficiency and you need to get an iron supplement to put. On it and you go to, you know a good garden center and ace, hardware store a place, like that and they're going to have a. Keylated iron that's a form of iron that doesn't tie up real fast in. The soil if the yellowing is on the, oldest leaves mostly mostly on the, oldest leaves that's probably a nitrogen deficiency and just A good guardina fertilizer is going to give them. That boost just just use them, in moderation follow the label, on IT and i think that'll that'll work. For you good luck. WITH that i do wish. You well, you know we hate to buy a new plant and then, Lose it but hopefully that'll give you a guide to getting started at least trying to turn. That around.
Speaker 14: You can.
Speaker 1: I'M sorry i lost. That statement say, it again, all right, all right sometimes we get, crossways. Here Uh. Pest Bros. Pest bros it has, been raining you will have a new crop of mosquito. Showing up that is just the way. It is mosquitoes can reproduce in a bottle capful. Of water so how many places around your property and your neighbors have at least a bottle cap of? Standing? Water right you got to do something. About It. Pest bros has. A system i call it the mosquito buckets that mosquitoes go to and they pick up products that when they, fly around those little tiny bits of water get condeminated where mosquitoes can't be raised in though that product also is a fungus that sticks to the mosquito and causes the mosquito to die from the fungus and it doesn't affect. Other insects it's specific to the mosquitos and it. Works well and that you. Know this these buckets. Are wonderful i'm using them at my house and they're. Working. Well Uh. Pest bros is the company that you need to call two eight one two oh six forty six seventy two eight one two oh six forty six seventy or go to their website The pest bros b r os As in brothers dot com thepestbros. Dot com they also do outstanding work and controlling termites or fire ants or other things out in. The yard they know how to treat effectively and they know how to do it in the safest possible manner so you get long term results. Without worries that's what. It's about dpestbros dot com two eight one two o six forty six seventy ask them about those. MOSQUITO buckets a skip keeps droning on and on about on the. GARDEN line i just think it's one of the coolest things in, the world alluring a mosquito to pick up. A, disease wow that that's wonderful stuff. For, sure well let's see where. Are we we're still, Doing okay i've got a little bit of time. Left here we will continue to answer questions as we. HAVE them i just want to remind, You again i'm going to be At The, arbor Gate. The arborgate for those of you who are new to the area and don't know where. That is you head Up the tomball or Head to tomball and you go West of tomball on twenty nine. To twenty it's just outside of town on the left. End side you'll see. It there Look For. Trishel Road trishel road Is before arburgate And, after arburgate so you can turn any of. The place it'll take you Around behind arburgate and you can park in the back. Parking lot. There's space it's. All weather, it's, easy convenient. Really nice come by and. See me i'd like to spend some time talking about the things that are most interest. To you it's always fun to go to. These events we have a. Good time and Speaking of arbigate is really set up For The mother's day event that's occurring TODAY and i guess. Tomorrow too probably they have everything your mom, would love from the gift shops out to. The plants just another appeal to folks out there who are thinking About A mother's. Day gift i'm not going to tell, your MOM but i know you haven't done. It yet you're going to do a last, minute, Thing right i'm not? Telling anyway why not? A plant a plant gives years. Of memories you can buy a bouquet of flowers and, that's nice. They're pretty or you can buy a rose bush that will bloom every year and remind the person who received your gift of that gift. FROM you i highly recommend take, some time go out with mom and. Plant it the memory of time spent together is the biggest gift you. Can gift i'm telling You that i've talked To mom's i'm married to. A mom it is important spend time with your Mom On, mother's day even if you had to show up on another day. Next week to get, it planted give them some time and that, wonderful gift and you're gonna find one of those, in many, many forums many species of Plants. At arburgate we're going to go now Out to liberty and Talk. To, Tracy, Hello tracy welcome To. Garden line, Good.
Speaker 9: MORNING skiff i have a very. QUICK question i HAVE an lsu purple big TREE that i bought last Summer that i'm getting pretty close. To planning and my question is it has a lot of suckers coming off the base. Of it should those be trammed OR can i leave? Them? With no how this tree is supposed.
Speaker 1: To look, you know there's not a supposed to on figs in our area because we get a good hard freeze every now and then and it can kill. Figs back we don't try to do a single trunk fig tree like you could in a more frost, Free area and so you can trim all that little brushy stuff away at the bottom and let the big. Branches grow THAT'S what i. Would do but if, you don't the fig will. Still produce and so either way you want to go.
Speaker 9: About, It, okay well some of them are close to two and a half, feet LONG and i hated to cut them because it's just making a nice bushy tree at.
Speaker 1: The, moment, yeah well how big is the overall plant? Right now at a moment.
Speaker 9: It is i'm standing right here buying at least five foot.
Speaker 1: Six, tall, OKAY yeah i would leave somewhere between three and six trunks on. That tree, you know you don't want. So many that is just. All crowded but, you KNOW usually i have about a four three or four trunk fig tree and they. Do well but if you, have more, it's okay just not too. Many more but i'd print.
Speaker 9: THEM away i think you're gonna, of THEM so i could take two of the smaller ones and.
Speaker 4: Be good then.
Speaker 14: There.
Speaker 1: You go, all, right sir. Good luck now you know on, GUARDEN line I don't i don't charge, for ADVICE but i do ask for half of. The produce so, each year bring me half the figs to the radio station and we will call. It even we can.
Speaker 9: DO that i appreciate, Your time, thank you.
Speaker 1: All RIGHT and i hope you all know that that. IS kidding i don't expect to see produce at, the station. All right the music means we're on. Our Way. To arburgate i'm gonna take care of some things here and head. That way i'll be there twelve to to come on out and. See, me uh we'll have copies of. My Books i've everly's got some copies of the books. ON hand i don't mind signing.
Speaker 4: For you