Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of March third, we're continuing with Lost, Season two, episode eleven, The Hunting Party. Who are they hunting?
Speaker 2: You ask?
Speaker 1: I guess they're hunting Michael. And then they are themselves being hunted and it's the Island. What do you want? They're running out of titles.
Speaker 2: And for an episode that was purportedly about Michael, it was actually all about Jack.
Speaker 1: Again. It was all about Jack, because really Honestly, isn't everything about it about Jack? Hey? Had you heard that he had kind of, I don't know, a savior complex. Did you know that about him before? And that like the easiest way to get him to take to take a case is you might work a miracle yep, and then have his father say no, no, no, this is a bad idea, but boom, he's on it.
Speaker 2: Yep. So I think his dad was using some of that reverse psychology on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to do this to be urge to be a miracle worker. Who's what drives Jack? We know this, We've known this, we will continue to know this. Michael's missing. I could get him, only me, the rest some of you can come along, but not UK Nope, not you. And did we know this about Kate, That she's the kind of person who would just come along in it and then you know, get.
Speaker 2: Get herself and kidnapped or whatever.
Speaker 1: That was contribute ruinously to the whole of never just such After like one week in the exciting world of African drug trafficking, we are right back to the same people and the same problems. Yes, we got it, we understand, We're cool. And did you know that Sun didn't really like her life before. Did you catch that by the fact that she was going to leave her husband anyway? All right, it's just like this is we've taken an interlude in the show to just before we go forward in new exciting directions. We hope. We just want to make sure you remember this.
Speaker 2: We want to just catch you up. I'm a couple things just in case you haven't been paying attention.
Speaker 1: How dare you underline them? You know? Yes, Michael not a guy who thinks thinks they're real? Well, I think we knew that. People keep taking his candle, Michael. Maybe there's a reason.
Speaker 3: For this, yes, goodness, Well why did the others like kidnap and or kill people from the tail group?
Speaker 1: But this group they're just like, Hattie, nice to see you, give us your guns and go home. We don't have we mean no ill will towards you. You let you know the jungle. Why would they not have liked kidnapped them or killed them or done anything else than just mister friendly being friendly. I guess there's nobody good in that group. They looked them over, then send them on back to the beach. And if that were the case, Jack would go, wait a minute, I've worked a miracle. I'm good. What are you talking about? She burned her father, But I'm good. Sawyer's a con man. But me, look at me. You want me right? You shouldn'tally kidnap me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But that that moment when Jack was like, there's only one of you, and there's four of us, and then the others just light up their little torches in a big circle all around him, like, oh, feeling less confident now, aren't you Jack?
Speaker 1: Isn't that easy to light up a torch with flame? No, that they could all come on at the same time like that, It's not like you prush a button. No, that was a little okay.
Speaker 2: Fine, yeah, but I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was amusing. You knew that was come from the moment he said that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh Jack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: But from the parenting point of view, yes, since we might as well at least get parenting pointers from this. Since we're not getting that much plot though, I can sit back and go, oh, Jack, you fool. You can't work miracles. Yeah, I've done that, you know, Okay, I am the eye can do I am uniquely blessed with insight because I am a mother. I can do it. I will find the kid, I will fix the thing. I will go to the meeting and tell everybody what they need to do. I know it all and can make everything all right. Right, the kid has a fear. I'm going to settle it. You know, sometimes it's a burden to be that person to figure this out again, I solve this problem. I have to work this miracle. And sometimes it's like, no, wait, everything's gonna be fine. I can do it, do it. I can make this work. It's fine. It's fine, say blessing and a burden, isn't A jack gets you kissed by the hot daughter in the parking lot and then dumped by your wife. You know, right, boy, Julie Bowen, she must have got that script and said so I have to basically hit him with a blood object twice. But just through my words. She's scandlin yep. And you can't blame her because their wedding was not promising. But no, at the same time, youch youch was that painful?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh, did I not mention I'm leaving you? You could have gone ahead and kissed her. It's fun and.
Speaker 2: Like it wasn't just a hole, like you always need someone to fix, which was the root of it. But oh, by the way, there's also somebody else in the picture, like and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, you couldn't have told me this yesterday. I gotta slept with the daughter.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh. So a happy life before the island not so.
Speaker 2: Much, right, But I'm guessing that's gonna be a theme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there anybody if we met anybody who was like having a great time? Was a bummer, everybody was everybody was doomed.
Speaker 2: Was dealing with something.
Speaker 1: But it'll all be okay now because Jack's gonna train an army. It's gonna like import we arranged to have another plane crew.
Speaker 2: We've already got two. Can we get did.
Speaker 1: He did he count how many torches went up? Just so he knows what he's up against. He and Ana Lucia are gonna start an army. That's that's the life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 1: You and whose army?
Speaker 2: My arm that I told you I can fix it?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Well it is. It is a parental thing to be like I am defending these people.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I don't care what it takes.
Speaker 1: And when they're walking home and Kate, who has screwed everything up, is trying to apologize, and it's like, oh not now, right now, you have to you have to wait until dad is not does not have steam coming zeros. Then you have to wait until mom doesn't have that look on her face. You have to just wait. Just be quiet, be quiet for a wild child, right, just.
Speaker 2: Boy?
Speaker 1: Very important?
Speaker 2: Yeah, to uh time, you're opposed to exactly choose your time at well.
Speaker 1: Where the person can actually hear you and is not just still screaming at you in their heads. It's so predictable, Kate, we expect better of you. She's very bad fugitive. You know, she's been caught a number of times exactly, She's caught again. Come on, yeah, that's like a rookie mistake baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and this does seem to happen often on this show, where like, oh, they just left, I'll catch up with him.
Speaker 1: What will you?
Speaker 2: Like this is a jungle.
Speaker 1: There's like, how do you know the tracker?
Speaker 2: I know? I mean, and she did really leave, like right pretty soon after, but Jin was about to go. He thought he could catch up.
Speaker 1: Like how many people do we want to have roaming around though, well, I Jin. I have to give respect to Jin because he listened to his wife. Yes, you saw that. There was a moment of calculation. Do I want to be a he man and go off with my friends and fix things? Or do I want to make my wife happy? And he made the right shoe. Yes, because probably your guys are going to go in the jungle and screw stuff up. But your wife is very good at being mad, and she could just speak in English for the while and then you would have no idea what she was saying. So yeah, and when he says he doesn't like being told what to do, and she said that she didn't like it either, he said, yeah, yeah, I could see I get it. All the moms watching this are going yeah, all the wives are going yeah, how is it new?
Speaker 2: Yikes?
Speaker 1: But I was proud of him. He took that moment to think about it.
Speaker 2: Yep, he did. He counted to ten.
Speaker 1: Do I want to go back the pit? Do I want to? I think if he had gone, he would be in a pit when he got.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly right over there, Sir Son would be taking on the Anna Lucia role of I'm a dig a pit, and you're not going to believe how deep this pit is. Yep, watch me, you've already seen her digging in the garden.
Speaker 1: Yep, she would be good at it.
Speaker 2: That's how she lost her wedding ring. But well, I the wedding.
Speaker 1: Ring might be going in the pit if he's going running, rest up, running around and everybody there's enough crazy people.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, and then we have, separately from all this, a little bro time for Hurley and Charlie in the hatch listening to records talking about girls like good times?
Speaker 1: What was that that was? We have had more of that? And I must go through the jungle to fix things. Only I can bring Michael back. Yes, please calm down.
Speaker 2: And you know I just Lock, you know, just gently quietly pointing out. I don't think he wants to be found. I don't think he wants anyone to come with him.
Speaker 1: So in our parenting scenario, who is Lock? Is Lock a friend who's trying to talk the mom down, or is Lock the husband just going honey, Maybe we just let it go for now. Maybe don't charge into the bedroom and pick a fight. Maybe we just let it go. Ye, I don't know, he says, Who are we to tell anyone what they can or cannot do? And indeed a parent does have some right to tell kids what they can and cannot because they get older not so much, and it's always not always the right thing. You know, Sometimes you have to lit people make their mistakes, as Michael is almost certainly doing right now. Yeah, but you know, from the moment Jack is like, well, I'm going to fix this by running into the jungle and making things twenty times worse. You feel like maybe you could do without Michael. It's okay. Why why do we feel like we have to round up the sheep every single time one of them goes? Yesterday, it's an island. Where's he gonna go?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah, couldn't get.
Speaker 1: Off it with a raft, So probably he'll come back at some point. Oh well, but not Jack.
Speaker 2: Jack is.
Speaker 1: Jack is the like all of us who have to fix the things. Yep, that is me.
Speaker 2: I am Jack, I am the problem. It's me, Yes, it's.
Speaker 1: Me, But that at some point they've only been there two months, not even I think, Yeah, it's it's it's just like it's been forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and also like that, whenever the the other his name's tom right, was, you know, giving them this whole speech about like don't cross this line and this is our island. This is our island. I was just waiting for someone to be like, we didn't ask.
Speaker 1: To be here, exactly, like, yes.
Speaker 2: We don't want to be here.
Speaker 1: And you're not an invading force when we are just trying to figure out what on earth this is about.
Speaker 2: And when we tried to get away, you screwed it up, so like why didn't you just let us go?
Speaker 1: Those are all very good points. The others are also sort of you'll do it my way kind of folks.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, so that kind of parent.
Speaker 1: Two pta moms knocking heads. It's gonna be trouble. I think we should do it this way. No, yeah, so holy cow, those fast light torches, they got to look into those. That's a very dramatic presentation, exactly.
Speaker 2: I'll get your kids to pay attention here.
Speaker 1: Oh well, what is up next? Do we get anything exciting us time? Let's see next Tuesday, we'll continue with season two, episode twelve of Lost Fire plus water. Seems like we've already had a lot of that, but okay, it's a fire putting the water out right, I mean, is the water putting fire out or what is that all about? Who are the flashbacks on for that one? Did you know.
Speaker 2: I got to notice big fine quickly.
Speaker 1: He's let it be somebody other than Kate Jack or Sawyer. You noticed that Locke was Charlie, Charlie Hey.
Speaker 2: And then Sawyer the next week, you know, with Charlie.
Speaker 1: Did you know that Charlie had a drug problem and then he was a musician.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder about his little stash of Virgin Mary statues are going to come into play.
Speaker 1: He was off to the side glowering at Locke, who was you know, chatting.
Speaker 2: With Yes, he was not happy about that.
Speaker 1: So yes, that was the same for next week probably. But did you notice that Locke was as they were, just trapes in across the jungle, just apropos of nothing, asking Sawyer about his name. Yes, but I wonder was that about file it away? Okay?
Speaker 2: So well, as I mentioned not not next the next one is Charlie. But after that we get Sawyer again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Boy, the tale people need to talk to their agent.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, when do we get our flashbags? We've been waiting over on the other side of the island getting picked off by others. We want our flashbacks.
Speaker 2: I got a flashback, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yes, and echo, we got yes, Echo.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sir.
Speaker 1: Yes, but still, I don't you gonna want to know how Rosen Bernard met and had their little romance. Yeah, I'd like to know more about them, but it's all going to be sad and having it some way brought them to this place, right again, Let them just enjoy themselves, right, enjoy their reunion without having to any psychodrama whatsoever. Right, So tomorrow we will be back to discuss a man on the inside. We've had a lot of man on the outside. Now tomorrow on the inside, and not in a hatch either, No.
Speaker 2: In a lovely apartment building.
Speaker 1: That's right, No, soldiers, Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop, slash Mamitude, or you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years