Speaker 1: Hey all, we hope you enjoyed your Christmas. We know some of you are new here, so we figured we take a trip down memory lane.
Speaker 2: Here's a deep.
Speaker 3: Dive replay that'll help you get to know us just a little bit better.
Speaker 2: We hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another deep dive edition of the Chicks on the Right Podcast. We have been in this outfit our pjs.
Speaker 1: For straight Yeah, like sore. We're starting to reak, you guys, it's really getting ugly. It's fine, it's.
Speaker 3: Getting to be but you know what, we could have showered between our live stream of this morning and the recording of this episode. But then we thought, why, why why would we do that. We're not We're gonna be real in this episode.
Speaker 1: I might as well just not shower. Yeah. So last week my father passed away and I told you guys at the end of last week that that had happened after a full week of just not I just wasn't myself the whole week, and people were like, what's going on with you? Are you? You know what? You just are not you? And so I think it was Friday that I told everybody. I was like, it was a yeah, a week ago tomorrow. I told, well, now we're recording this, that it would be a week ago yesterday that I told everybody you know that my dad passed away. And I was like, I should probably, you know, do something a little deeper about this and tell people, give people a little bit more information about what's going on. My husband prompted me to do that first of all, because he was like, you just don't share enough, and you're like, you keep things you know. And then it's funny because Pastor Shelley wrote me something the other day. She's like, you're like Melissa Manchester. He's like that whole remember that song Don't Cry out Loud? Yeah, inside oh, And I'm like, oh my god, that song. Yeah. So anyway, so my husband encouraged me to do it, and then I talked to you and Valin, our producer Valin, and I was like, I don't know if I'm comfortable with doing that, but I but you guys encouraged me to do it, and so I thought, you know what, we'll just talk a little bit about that because I figured I'm like the only person that has family issues or a dysfunctional family, and you were like, I assure you that You're not the only person, and when you said that out loud, you would not believe. I mean, already I started getting a lot of people writing and saying, Daisy, like I have a really dysfunctional family, let me tell you about it. And just the support that I've already gotten with people not even knowing what's going on so or what had happened in my family at all. So it just the support, the love, the encouragement, the sweet words. So appreciative of people in our community. We have the best community.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's amazing, greatest people.
Speaker 1: So so backing up to last Monday, two mondays ago, I got a text from Miriam. I was in the car with my family. It was the Monday before my daughter went back to school, and so we were all getting back from eating a cracker barrel and I get a text from Miriam and she was like, I just saw your sister's Facebook's still she was still friends with my sister on Facebook. She's like, am I reading right? Oh my god? It's stupid to ask if you're okay? But are you okay? What can I do? And how did I like tell why I should I tell?
Speaker 3: Like my perspective of this, that's right, totally, I should yeah, okay. So the reason I texted her that is because I'm not on Facebook super often where I would see her sister's posts, But for some reason, I was on it and I saw her sister post photographs of her their dad and and her sisters now deceased husband together with a caption that said together again, I miss you both so much, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what the hell?
Speaker 3: So I'm thinking that, surely that can't mean that her father passed away.
Speaker 2: That can't mean that, right.
Speaker 3: I immediately go to text her, and when I said that text, I got one of those auto things that says, Amy Joe has notifications silenced, And I thought to myself, well, of course she does, because she just found out her father passed away, and so of course she's not taking text messages right now.
Speaker 2: And I just sort of sat back and waited.
Speaker 3: But then I scrolled down on her sister's Facebook and saw the official announcement, and so then I knew one hundred percent that her father had passed away.
Speaker 1: Go yeah, So I was like, I wrote back, and I go, wait, what is happening? Call me what? I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, oh my god, I have to tell her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was like, oh my god, she doesn't know. So Miriam called me and so I'm on the phone in the car with my husband and my daughter, and Miriam is having to tell me that my father has passed away and reading me what is going on? And then, you know, come to find out after Yeah, I'm in shock, and she's bawling hysterically on the phone. She's having to be the one to do this, and you know, listen, it's not that I'm having to console her, but she's like, you shouldn't be consoling me. I'm just like, I don't I can't believe I'm having to tell you this. Oh my god. And she feels terrible me. I'm glad it was her that, you know, that she's the one that told me. I mean, I can't think of a better person to tell me in that moment, right, But she told me. And then I'm like, what, like, what is even going on? And then come to find out he had had he had had lung cancer for four months and I didn't know about that. And then after, you know, you you kind of have to backtrack. You have to go backwards after that. So, you know, during that day, I sort of things were unraveling, like the onion was peeling back, and I started learning things about like there are other people in my family that knew that. Not not immediate family, obviously, but there are other people in my extended family that knew that he was sick, and and I didn't know. And I guess some of the people were sworn to secrecy and they weren't supposed to tell tell me that that he was sick. And so it was just like this weird feeling of betrayal. Like I was sad. I was like all the emotions, every emotion you can think of, a big roller coaster of emotions. So I had not spoken to my father for the last time I spoke to my father was three years ago this February. I have a bunch of stuff written here because I have to remember, because it's like the past thirty years of my dad have been kind of a like a shit storm. The first eighteen years of my life with my dad were great. I had a great childhood. I grew up in a really loving household, two great parents. I feel like I was pretty well adjusted up to that point, like my.
Speaker 2: Seven houses away from my husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I grew up in a good neighborhood. You know, everything was wonderful and then and I can backtrack to that, but there's just lots of stuff leading up to that. But the last time I talked to my dad was was three years years ago. And so what happened that made that relationship go bad? Well, let me le Yeah, I should probably back up to what made it go bad, right, So thirty ish years ago, thirty three ish years ago, I was what nineteen? When I was nineteen, I came home from college and I just remember, like I didn't come home from college much when I was around a junior in college because by that time, you're pretty established in college and you don't like coming home. You like being a college more than you like being at home. And so I came home and I remember my mother wasn't she just wasn't well, Like she was real thin. You could tell she was just like something was going on. She was frazzled. Things were not good in the house. And I don't know if I can't remember if that was the reason I came home, but I just remember coming home that weekend and I found out that my dad was he had been cheating on my mother. And so up to that point, everything in everything was great, like my parents' marriage was, at least to me, I thought it was a wonderful marriage. Everything was great, the house was great, our family was perfect. Everything was wonderful. So I'd found out that he had been cheating on my mom, and I know, we all just sort of, I guess, recognize the fact that he had probably been doing this for several years. And so in that moment, like I just I figured, Okay, well the guy that I knew was no longer you know, the guy that I knew. Right, So everything flipped for me that weekend, and I called a family meeting because I think he was just going to assume that he was going to go on living his life like he was going to keep cheating on my mom and then being married to my mom, and so I said family meeting. And so I called a family meeting, and I was like, all right, here's a deal. So you can't stay married to mom and keep doing this. You need to gtf up. And so he left, He packed his step and he left, and so in that moment, I became I went from being a daughter to being like this object of opposition from my dad. And so it wasn't just him changing for me. I changed for him. I think that I went from being you know, like this this person that he liked, to somebody that he probably didn't like very much anymore. And because you called him on an I called him on his shit. Yeah, And so it wasn't just me that looked at him differently. He looked at me differently, and we just were never the same after that moment, ever, And and so it was both of us, you know, it was a mutual thing, and we just kind of butted heads from that point forward. It just it never recovered. My sister always looked at him, even in the times where I think she was sort of like on my side where she was pissed off and you know, she was like, you know, I'm mad at dad for this, and I'm I'm you know, looking at him a little. She just she's still really, you know, adored him, and that's okay, that's fine. That was like her. She had every right to do that. It's just that I didn't. And so we just didn't have the same relationship from that point forward, and it never recovered. And thirty three years were just like you know, ups and downs, ups and downs. There were times where I tried to have a relationship with him, like you always. I always was the one who extended the olive branch, and I always was the one who was like, Okay, well I'm going to try to you know, go visit him. I'm going to try to have a relationship with him. I'm going to try to make this work. I'm gonna, you know, do my best to have some semblance of a father daughter thing here. And it just never stuck. You know, we never got to the point where we could get back to the place that we were. It just never got that that stable footing, if you will. So we just never got the like I remember, you know, when my husband and I, I was married once before, and that we were never close during that marriage. And then when I got divorced and I got married to my husband, my now husband, we were getting ready to get married and my dad was like, hey, you know, we'll pay for the whole wedding. And I remember going through that whole process and it was like this he wanted this over the top thing, and I just I went to him and I said, you know, what. It's not really our style. We're more casual. We don't want all this like you know, steak and lobster stuff. We don't want anything fancy. And so we butted heads about that, and I said, you know what, We're just gonna go ahead and pay for it on our own. We're going to have something really casual. We ended up having like a six hundred dollars wedding, you know, and it was like the reception was at our house and I was barefoot, and it was you know, really it was the way that you it was the way that we wanted it right, and he hated that. He just hated it. So we butted heads about that. I mean just little things along the way that were like that. And so that was. It was stuff like that all during this, like trying to have a relationship with them.
Speaker 3: What I'm not done with is helping my face with bond Charge products, their red light therapy mask. You guys, it is the bum and right, also relaxing, it's such a treat.
Speaker 1: Right, I do it for like ten fifteen minutes a couple times a week. I really let no appointment. It's lightweight, it's easy to use, a contourse perfectly to your phase. You can travel with it.
Speaker 2: It's rechargeable.
Speaker 1: It's not hot or people think that it's really hot because it's like red light or both.
Speaker 2: There like a barely warm. It's just a nice one.
Speaker 1: It actually puts me to sleep. I'm like incapable of naps, you guys, and I will take like a ten minute nap when I because it's I don't know what it is, but it lulls me to sleep. It's fantam. But if I don't want to do that, I can walk around with it, which is really nice. You can still do things with it on, but it's fantastic. I really like it is actually brightened my skins. I don't we don't f with our faces, but we do this because it's really great for your skin. It helps it look brighter and healthier. And I just I love it without all the fillers and the junk that people put into it. So you can get twenty five percent off right now on like the coolest skincare gift ever, so check it out boncharge dot com. Slash Chicks save twenty five percent. Your code is automatically applied, so twenty five percent off at bondcharge dot com slash chicks and the sale ends December thirty first, so grab it now boncharge dot com slash Chicks do it. But then, you know, like when my daughter was born, I tried again to you know, have this relationship with him because I knew that since there was this this baby girl there, that she may want to have a relationship with him, and so I tried very hard to extend it all a branch. I would invite him to every single birthday party that she had for the first five years of her life, you know, cause those birthday parties are like people standing around and watching this sweet little baby, you know, shovecake all over the place. And so I invited him to all those birthday He never came. He never There was always an excuse for him not to come, whether it was some weird logistical thing or if it was you know weather, I remember there was.
Speaker 3: But then he would always bitch to you about bringing Gwen to see him in Florida when he is retired. She's working her ass off basically in two.
Speaker 1: Jobs that was corporate, sometimes three, sometimes three because I was also a professor at the time, so I had some There were times where I had three jobs and it was really hard for me to get away, and I was like, you know, you can come here and see her. And there were times where he would fly into town, into Indianapolis and bypass us and just go see his brothers in South Bend and we would be like, you can stop here and come see your granddaughter. And so it was it was always that I had to to make arrangements to do the things, and I felt like there was just again, it was like, it's just this reject this feeling of rejection and abandonment that was just lingering all the time in our relationship. It was just there, it was like right there on surface, and so I felt like I was always the one having to do that. And then he would complain that I was trying to somehow keep my daughter from him, which was absurd. It was completely absurd, and so that was that. So anyway, so that kind of hung out during during our entire I guess relationship, if you want to call it relationship. And then there were times we just didn't talk, you know, because we would argue and we would fight a lot, and there was that. So anyways, the past three years we have not spoken, and what happened three years ago was my sister was getting ready to get married. Her husband is now deceased. He passed away unfortunately, gosh during year. Yeah, I married a year. They were married a year and he passed away during a surgery. It was awful. But she was getting ready to get married, and she told me that she was going to have a very very small wedding and no one was going to be invited and that so nobody was nobody going to be there. So my mother and I were not going to be invited, and nobody's going to be there, And come to find out, she was inviting people. However, my mother and I were not invited, and so this was going to be broadcast on Facebook and it was going to be on social media. And I was devastated for my mother. I mean, I could handle it because I thought, Okay, no big deal, because you know, like whatever I'll see, We've seen some stuff, We've been through some stuff, so whatever, I can handle that. But my mother was going to be devastated by the fact that, like my dad was going to be there, my step mom was going to be there, his whole family was going to be there, and my Mom's going to be left out. Of this, and she was going to be watching this and social media devastated because she was not invited to her daughter, her oldest daughter's wedding, right. So I was pissed, and so I called my dad and I said, I cannot believe she lied about this. She is a liar. And he hung up the phone on me, and that was that, and that was he never he never reached out, he never called me, and he just hung up on me because he didn't want to hear that. And so they went through with the wedding and they were all there and my mother and I were excluded, and they they just left us out of everything.
Speaker 3: And when when did the whole like facebook like social media block happen?
Speaker 1: Within a couple of weeks after that, then everybody we were blocked. Everybody was blocked from every like we were just completely like shunned. We were done. So that was it. So that was the That was it. That was And there was never a time where he, you know, reached out and wanted to to say, gush, I'm really sorry about that, or we should get together, or he wanted to even have some semblance of a relationship with my daughter or my husband. For that matter. I mean, there was just nothing, absolutely nothing over the past three years. So I didn't pursue it. I didn't. I just kind of thought, well, this is what he wants, and so I'm I'm done that and I have. I've extended a lot of olive branches. I at this point in my life, I just figured, Okay, I'm done with that. And so the weird thing about it is that there's a weird narrative in my family that I am somehow the reason for it. Like I'm somehow the reason for the space, like the reason for the distance and the reason for the rejection and the abandonment. And it's it's so weird how that's somehow put off on me and I just sort of own it, like I kind of go, okay, well, I guess if that's the narrative, then I just kind of go with it. And but it's weird how you after years of it and you just if you don't push back, you end up with that label on you. It's just bizarre. It's bizarre how narratives get formed in families and you just if you don't push back, that's you end up owning those narratives. It's just really strange to me.
Speaker 2: It's gaslighting.
Speaker 1: It is. It's kind of like gaslighting, it really is. And I wasn't When my my sister's husband died, I you know, I didn't really I wasn't invited to her wedding. I wasn't really invite I wasn't invited her a marriage because I wasn't invited to her a wedding, and so I wasn't there. And so when he passed away, she somehow expected me to be there for the funeral, and I didn't show up for the funeral. I did call her and I you know, told her listen, you know, I'm very sorry, and and you know, basically I love you and if you need me, you can call me. But I'm I didn't show up for the funeral.
Speaker 3: Because I was you had like you had some serious life going on at the time, because I feel like there was a part of you that you would have gone had you not had a lot of other obligations personally with Gwen and swimming, and there was just a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 1: There was. But I mean, I also it's just a it was very strange for me because I'm like, Okay, I'm you know, I wasn't. I wasn't invited to your life right with this person. And then now that he's gone, you want me to be there for you for the funeral. That was just an odd thing for me, and and she is so she hates me for that. I mean, she just hates me. So it's that was a that was very strange for me. And the family hates me for that too, because they think that I should have been there, but they didn't think that I was good enough to come to the wedding and the and be there for the the life they had together. It's just a very bizarre thing. And my family wasn't good enough to be there for the either of those things. I just it's it's just bizarre. So the whole, you know, the abandonment thing is real. Now. I look at like my dad and I think, Okay, so for four months he knew he was going to leave this earth. And you know, I've had discussions over the past week with my with my husband about this, and I think, Okay, you know, I he knew he was going to go. I mean, it's you think that in your in your last days, you would I just wonder what I would do you would not do this. I wonder, like with my children, and I wonder if I if I had some sort of beef with my first of all all three of our children, I mean I would always I just I feel like I would never stop communicating with my children. I just can't imagine not not communicating with them. If that's just me. I mean, everybody to each their own right, But I just can't imagine taking anything to my grave if I were, if I were angry, or if I I can't imagine having that much hate for one of my children where I would not want to say something to them before if I knew I was going to go. It's one thing to not know, but when you know four ments an advance, when you know that you're going to go, to not be able to not want to say something to them, or to say something to your only grandchild, or.
Speaker 2: To want to leave the earth with that.
Speaker 1: Cloud hanging over your head.
Speaker 2: And not wanting resolution right yourself. Like that's just.
Speaker 3: Bizarre to me that he wanted to go to the grid. Specifically gave instructions to her sister, do not tell her.
Speaker 2: Don't tell her when.
Speaker 1: I die, right, don't tell what the hell is that. Don't tell her that I'm that I am dying, and don't tell her, Yeah, I don't. And there's there's been no funeral, there's been there was no obituary, there's been nothing. I'm just I It's just it's so.
Speaker 3: And even if there were that, no one would send her anything. It would be us finding it on the internet.
Speaker 1: Right. I've I've not been privy to any information about any of this. It's like, it's like I don't exist. It's like the family wants me to know. They're so like, you're not you don't exist, You're not even a daughter. It's I've gotten four messages from people since he's passed.
Speaker 2: In your family, in my well.
Speaker 1: No family and friends combined.
Speaker 2: Excluding our community. Who's been amazing.
Speaker 1: You guys have been amazing. You guys have been absolutely amazing, like above and beyond. But I've gotten, let's see, from my family. I've received one person in my family that has reached out to me. It was a cousin, my first one of my first cousins has reached out to me to say that they were sorry. And then I've had three friends, you know, three friends, three childhood friends, reach out to me.
Speaker 2: Who you know, know that this happened.
Speaker 1: Right, and that's that's it, and that's it. That's it. One person in my family has reached out to me that mine's fucked up. One person and that's it. And I'm astounded by that. I mean, these are people who I've it's like, I've been there when their loved ones have passed away. Just in the past year. I've been there for them. It's like, and I nothing, not a pete. It's so it's you. It's a eye opener. It's been an eye opening week or two for me. And and then another thing that's super eye opening is that I normally I would have just not said a thing. I would have not done this. I would have not I would have just talked about it with her and would have kept it with my family. But I think that there are a lot of people that deal with this kind of stuff. I think they're One thing that you know has been very eye opening for me is the amount of emails and messages I've received from people who I don't know personally who are writing me their personal stories and saying you are not alone in this this kind of stuff, like here's my family story. This is what happened to me. I was a strange from my father. I was a strangth from my sister and my brother and my mother, and this is what happened and like similar stories, and that has really touched me because I you know, I honestly when I last week, when I mentioned this to you guys, I was like, I'm the only person who's dealing with Oh my god, only like my family is so messed up. And I honestly thought, like, it's so hard for me to be able to even share this, like with people that I semi note, like even people that I work with, because I'm just like, you kind of want to act like you have everything together, you know what I mean, and you're just like it's fine, I've got it's it's totally fine, Like my family's fine, it's fine. But you know, you would be surprised how many people are dealing with stuff like this and that you know, they they go to work, they have friends, they have you know, their lives, and then they have this looming in the background and they do feel abandoned by summoning their family, or they do feel rejected, or they're dealing with just the emotional upheaval of stuff like this and you have no idea. So I appreciate the messages and the love and the support of all y'all, because, man, it made such a huge difference just reading some of that stuff.
Speaker 3: And knowing you're not alone, right, right, because it's way more abnormal to have a normal normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true, true, yeah, Because I mean that's the thing. It's families or families are dynamic. They are complicated and dynamic and hard. They can be really hard. And you know, I'm I'm listen. I'm grateful that I've been able to build a an immediate family that is awesome. And you know, I'm so grateful for my husband, who is an amazing father. God, he's so he's such a great father. I'll get really emotional talking about him. And I and my kids are amazing. And I have the greatest friend in the whole world. I have this great community. I'm so grateful for so many things. So I mean, like I win you know what I mean, I win the lottery with that. Like seriously, I've won the lottery with life. It's like I cannot, I cannot be more grateful for all that stuff. So I didn't think I was gonna cry. Damn, why did you do that?
Speaker 3: Because like we made it, we're like almost to the end, and you lose, and I will sympathy cry, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I will.
Speaker 1: I've been so good about that for the past couple of days. I've been so good about not crying. But I'm just I am. I'm truly That's it's a good cry. It's like a happy cry. I really am grateful for all that stuff, you guys, so, and that's what you have to do. You have to be grateful for the good stuff.
Speaker 3: Right totally, right totally, and like I don't mean to because that's a really beautiful way to end this. But I also have like vengeance in my heart about this whole thing, and so the other, the other good thing, the other thing to be grateful for is she's never going to be the kind of person who would go to her deathbed with this kind of vendetta against a member of her own family.
Speaker 2: That is fucked up.
Speaker 3: And the reason that I was sobbing when I called her was rage. It had nothing to do with being sad about her father dying. Maybe that sounds like shitty that I wasn't having a part.
Speaker 4: Of it is.
Speaker 1: I'd already mourned him over the past right two years. I mean, I've had my moments over the past week. But when you haven't talked to somebody and they've rejected you, you you already go through periods of crying and warning over that person. I mean, I imagine you guys understand that if you've been through that. I mean I already did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he was there was always a chance, oh do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And now there isn't. And that is one hundred percent on him, right.
Speaker 3: So the fact that he went to his death with that kind of thing hanging like a cloud hanging over.
Speaker 2: That he controlled is just that's a sickness. That's that's fucked up. And she will never be that fucked up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was just in a rage that that was how you were finding out. I could not believe that her, entire that side of the family would do that to her.
Speaker 1: I love my kids, and well I cannot I cannot wait to have grandkids, and I just, yeah, I just I don't get it. I just I don't get that. That's a whole different mental and you know what, I'm still glad. I don't get that, Yeah, exactly. I'm just glad I don't get it. And I'm grateful for that too, so oh, you know, and grateful for all this, So thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this. It's really weird, so not.
Speaker 2: Our typical deep dive, so weird.
Speaker 4: And I hope we're talking about like midget porn next time, because this is really weird. But but you now, I'm grateful that I have this platform to be able to do this. Right, What a blessing, What a glessing it is, and what a blessing you.
Speaker 1: Guys are, And no one out there is alone. We're not alone, right, We're not alone? So wow, I love you guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks for watching.
Speaker 3: We'll be back January sixth, so make sure to tune in and bring a friend, follow us.
Speaker 1: And subscribe on YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts link in bio