Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Looks like we're diving into the world of PowerShell today. Yeah, you want to learn how to use it to automate all those tedious tasks you have to do in Windows. And we've got some great resources to guide us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, We've got excerpts from PowerShell for Sissedminds by Adam Bertram and some intriguing info from the No Starch Press catalog.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: So, are you ready to unlock the power of PowerShell and boost your efficiency?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's dive in. PowerShell is really a game changer. Okay. Imagine controlling your systems with code, automating all those boring, repetitive tasks, and even managing renote computers. Oh wow, all from one central place.
Speaker 1: That sounds amazing, especially for someone like me, always looking for ways to be more efficient and to save a little bit of time. Of course, now, one thing that really caught my eye in the book was that PowerShell was designed to be user friendly, absolutely, even for people who aren't you know, hardcore programmers.
Speaker 2: It was built for sissigments from the ground up.
Speaker 1: And is that because of features like tab completion. I saw that mention in there, tab.
Speaker 2: Completion is a life saver.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Instead of memorizing every single command in every parameter, you can just type part of it, okay, and powershow will try to predict what you need. Oh nice, especially when you're working with longer commands or more complex scripts later on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's going to come in handy definitely. Okay. So tab completion, Yeah, definitely makes it less intimidating. Sure, so that's great. Now. Another thing I kept seeing was that in PowerShell everything is an object.
Speaker 2: Everything's an object?
Speaker 1: What does that even mean?
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of a mind shift, but once you grasp that concept, it really unlocks the logic of PowerShell. Okay, think of it this way. Even a simple string of text, Yeah, like the word blue, that's not just text in Power Show. It's a string object.
Speaker 1: So it's more than just the letters b lue exactly.
Speaker 2: It has properties like its length, which tells you how many characters are in the string, and it also has methods, which are basically actions that you can perform on that strength.
Speaker 1: So, for example, could I use a method to change that string to all upper case?
Speaker 2: You absolutely could? Okay, there's a method called two upper Okay, Specifically, for that.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Yeah, but how would I know what properties and methods?
Speaker 2: That's where your new best friend comes in. Okay, get member member. You can use this command on any object to see all of its properties in methods.
Speaker 1: Get members like it's like an X ray for a PowerShell object. I like that. Get member goes in the toolbox absolutely. Now. The book also talks about A rays. Yes, and A ray lists are those related to this whole object's concept.
Speaker 2: They are? Okay, so once you start working with more than one object, you need a way to organize them, okay, right. A rays are basically containers. They can hold a fixed number of objects.
Speaker 1: So if I have like a list of usernames, put those in an array exactly.
Speaker 2: Now. If you're dealing with much larger sets of data, array lists are even better. They can grow dynamically, so you don't have to preset the size.
Speaker 1: Got it. So arrays for smaller fixed sets of data, arraylists for larger dynamic data sets.
Speaker 2: It's all about choosing the right tool for the job.
Speaker 1: It is, right, Yeah, okay, cool, So far everything seems pretty straightforward. But I know we're just scratching the surface here. Oh yeah, what's next?
Speaker 2: On the agenda, let's talk about scripting. Okay, this is where you can really start automating more complex tasks. But before we get into that, yeah, we need to talk about something called execution policies.
Speaker 1: Execution policies, Yes, what are those all about?
Speaker 2: They're all about security.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So execution policies control what kind of PowerShell scripts can actually be run on your system. There are different levels of restriction, so some policies might prevent you from running scripts downloaded from the internet.
Speaker 1: Right for security reasons exactly.
Speaker 2: There's a policy called restricted which does exactly that, and that's actually the default on many systems, just to prevent you know, yeah, accidentally running something that could be harmful.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Now there are other policies.
Speaker 1: Too, Okay, what are those.
Speaker 2: All Signed only allows you to run scripts if they've been digitally signed by a trusted source, got it and remote signed, unless you run your own scripts and any sigence scripts you download.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's kind of a balance between security and flexibility exactly. So it sounds like I need to understand these execution policies you do to make sure I can run the scripts that I want to run, exactly. Okay, and then to actually help me write and manage those scripts. Yes, book introduces the PowerShell.
Speaker 2: I yes, the PowerShell is.
Speaker 1: What does I stand for?
Speaker 2: It stands for Integrated Scripting Environment, basically a code editor designed specifically for PowerShell. It has features like syntax highlighting okay to help you write error free code, and debugging tools to help you troubleshoot your scripts when things.
Speaker 1: Go wrong, which they inevitably will of course, So this sounds like this will be really helpful.
Speaker 2: It'll help you a lot.
Speaker 1: Once I start getting into more complex scripting.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we've covered the console, I've talked about objects, We've even touched on security a bit, a little bit. Now I'm ready to dive into the scripting thing.
Speaker 2: Scripting is where the real magic happens. And the best part is PowerShell was built on this principle of don't repeat yourself. Okay, So it's all about automation.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that principle. So what are some of the key concepts I need to know to start writing these effective PowerShell scripts?
Speaker 2: Control flow statements, control flow states. These are your building blocks, Okay. They allow you to create scripts that make decisions okay, and adapt to different situations.
Speaker 1: So it's like a choose your own adventure.
Speaker 2: It's like to choose your own adventures for your computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm intrigued. Yeah, tell me more about these control flow statements. What does they look like?
Speaker 2: Well, you have flightful statements okay, which lets you perform different actions based on certain conditions. So, for example, imagine you want to write a script that checks the free space on your hard drive. Okay, you could use an if statement to check if the free space is below a certain threshold, right, and then send you an alert if it is.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's useful. Yeah, I can already see how that would be.
Speaker 2: Helpful practical example. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What other kinds of control flow statements are there?
Speaker 2: They're also switch statements, okay, which can be more efficient than a bunch of IF statements if you're checking against multiple possible values.
Speaker 1: So if statements for simple conditions, which statements for multiple conditions?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: What about repeating actions, like if I wanted to perform the same task but on multiple files.
Speaker 2: That's where loops come in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: PowerShell has several types of loops, like for each wile. Each loop has its own unique way of repeating actions based on certain conditions.
Speaker 1: So with loops, I could write a script that would go through every file and a folder and perform some action.
Speaker 2: On each one exactly. You could rename them, move them.
Speaker 1: Or whatever I want, compress them, got.
Speaker 2: It, whatever you can imagine.
Speaker 1: This is starting to feel powerful, it is. Okay, So we've got these conditional statements like if and switch, we've got loops for repeating actions. Absolutely anything else I need to know about control flow.
Speaker 2: One more crucial thing, okay, error handling.
Speaker 1: Error handling.
Speaker 2: What happens when something unexpected happens in your script?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course things are going to go wrong.
Speaker 2: PowerShell has ways to handle those situations gracefully. Okay, so your script doesn't just crash and burn.
Speaker 1: Okay, good error handling. I can see why that.
Speaker 2: Would be important, especially if your scripts are running critical tasks. You don't want them to just fall apart. So PowerShell uses these things called exceptions and errors to deal with these unexpected situations, and learning how to anticipate and manage those errors is really key. Got it to writing robust and reliable scripts.
Speaker 1: So control flow statements, loops, and error handling error handling. Those are the foundation.
Speaker 2: Those are your foundations for scripting.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Once I understand those, I'm well on my way.
Speaker 2: You're well on your way to.
Speaker 1: Writing some seriously powerful scripts.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to start putting this all into practice. Is there anything else we should cover before we move on? One more thing to some real world examples.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about functions and modules.
Speaker 1: Functions and modules.
Speaker 2: This is a building blocks for organizing and reusing your PowerShell code. Okay, think of them like pre build components that you can assemble to create more complex scripts.
Speaker 1: Sounds intriguing. Tell me more about functions and modules.
Speaker 2: So functions are like mini programs okay, within your script. They let you group together reusable blocks of code, which makes your scripts more organized, more readable, and easier to test. Got it, and to keep things clear? Yeah. The book really emphasizes giving your functions descriptive names, using what's called the verb noun convention.
Speaker 1: Verb noun convention. Yes, what is that?
Speaker 2: It's a simple way to name your functions so that they clearly describe what they do. Sample. Instead of naming a function like processed data, you might have a function called get user data or set file permissions.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the verb comes first.
Speaker 2: Verb first, and then the noun and then the noun.
Speaker 1: That makes perfect sense.
Speaker 2: It makes it much easier to understand what the function does exactly just by looking at its name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, descriptive names are always good, absolutely. So what about module?
Speaker 2: Modules are basically containers for your functions. They let you bundle a bunch of related functions together so you can share them and reuse them easily. Imagine you have a set of functions for managing user accounts. You can put all those functions together in a module called user Management.
Speaker 1: So it's like a library.
Speaker 2: It's like a library, a reusable PowerShell code.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that's a brilliant way to organize things. It is, and not have to reinvent the wheel every time you need to do a common task.
Speaker 2: Don't repeat yourself, right exactly. And you can even share your modules with others. Oh wow, download modules and other people have.
Speaker 1: Created so it's like having access, yeah to this vast collection.
Speaker 2: It's like a giant tool box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of pre built, pre built powershow tools, powersholl tool This is getting better and better. It is now. I'm really excited to see how all of this comes together in a real world scenario. All right, where do we go from here?
Speaker 2: Since you're interested in managing computers remotely, okay, let's talk about powershow remoting power Shell remoting. It's like having a virtual control panel that lets you manage computers anywhere on your network.
Speaker 1: PowerShell remoting. Yeah, that sounds incredibly powerful.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Tell me more about how it works.
Speaker 2: Imagine you need to install software, okay on one hundred computers. Instead of manually logging into each one, Yeah, no, thanks, you could use PowerShell remoting okay to send commands to all of them simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that would be a huge time saver.
Speaker 2: It would be.
Speaker 1: Ok what are some of the key things I need to know?
Speaker 2: So the book mentions this command, Yeah, called invoke command. Invoke command, and that's your go to tool for running commands on remote computers. It's great for quick tasks, but for more complex scenarios, you might want to use something called sessions.
Speaker 1: Sessions, Yes, what are those?
Speaker 2: So? A session is basically a persistent connection to a remote computer. It lets you maintain that connection and execute multiple commands without having to constantly re establish that communication.
Speaker 1: Got it? Yeah, So invoke command for quick tasks, sessions for more involved involve man management. Yeah, okay, Now I'm really curious to see how this PowerShell remoting works in practice. Do we have any real world examples to look at?
Speaker 2: The book has this really cool example of creating a inventory.
Speaker 1: Script server inventory script. What would that do?
Speaker 2: So imagine you need to gather information about all the servers on your network, things like their operating system versions, their hardware specs, what software is installed on them. A server inventory script can automate that whole process for you.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly useful. It is, especially if you're managing a large network.
Speaker 2: If you have a lot of servers.
Speaker 1: So how does PowerShell actually gather all that information?
Speaker 2: The book focuses on using two main techniques okay, querying active directory okay, and using these things called CIMWM I cmdalitz Okay.
Speaker 1: Active directory, I'm familiar with it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: That's basically a directory of all the users.
Speaker 2: It's like a phone book and computer, yeah, for your network and the network right, Okay, it's a gold mine of information okay for CIS edmins.
Speaker 1: So we can query active directory to find out everything we need to know about our server.
Speaker 2: You can't their names, their I P addresses, they're operating systems, domain memberships, and much more.
Speaker 1: Active directory makes sense. But these cimw MI cmdalits.
Speaker 2: Those sound a little bit more mysterious.
Speaker 1: They're a little bit more low level, okay, but incredibly powerful. Think of cimwm I as a way to talk directly to the hardware and software components of your Windows systems. They give you access to a ton of information that you can't get through active directory.
Speaker 2: The active directory is kind of like the high level overview of the network.
Speaker 1: The big picture.
Speaker 2: And then CIWMI. Yeah, lets us drill down, drill down into the nitty gritty detail exact of each server.
Speaker 1: By combining those two techniques, you can gather a truly comprehensive inventory of your server environment.
Speaker 2: And the book even mentions, yes, generating reports from this data.
Speaker 1: Reports are essential.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I can see how that would be helpful to visualize and analyze all that information.
Speaker 1: It makes the data actionable, right Yeah, Okay, So this server inventory script sounds like a great example. It is how PowerShell can automate. It shows you this complex, real world task.
Speaker 2: It's a great practical example.
Speaker 1: Cool, and there's even more real world projects. Oh, Yeah, covered in this book.
Speaker 2: The book is packed with them.
Speaker 1: You also learn about automating user account creation, yes, deploying web servers, working with cloud platforms like Azure and Aws.
Speaker 2: All those things.
Speaker 1: Wow, it sounds like we have a lot of exciting material to make.
Speaker 2: We have a lot to talk about.
Speaker 1: This deep dive is really opening my eyes to the possibilities.
Speaker 2: A powerful tool.
Speaker 1: Yes, of PowerShell. What should we explore.
Speaker 2: Next before we move on to more advanced projects?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: I think it would be helpful to get you comfortable with the PowerShell console itself. Okay, so why don't we try out a few basic commands?
Speaker 1: All right, let's do it and.
Speaker 2: See how it all works in practice.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to get my hands dirty.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, let's start with a cam dill it okay, called get command.
Speaker 1: Get command.
Speaker 2: This is a great way to see all the available commands and power show. So go ahead and type get command in the console and press enter.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see a long list of commands scrolling by.
Speaker 2: There are a lot.
Speaker 1: Wow, it looks like PowerShell has commands for just about everything.
Speaker 2: It's a very versatile tool, it is. Yeah. Okay, now let's try command. You might be familiar with from the doss days. Type deer and press enter.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see a listing of the files and folders in my current directory. It looks just like the output from the old deer command is Is that just a coincidence?
Speaker 2: Not at all?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So PowerShell has this feature called aliases okay, which are basically nicknames for common commands. So deer is actually an alias for the get child items CM dillit okay, which is the PowerShell way to list files and folders.
Speaker 1: So they kept some of the familiar man. Yeah, they try to make it from other command line environments easy to learn, to make it easier.
Speaker 2: To people coming from different backgrounds, right, exactly. Now let's try something a little more PowerShell specific.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Remember the get member CM in tullet.
Speaker 1: Get member we talked about earlier, the one that lets.
Speaker 2: Us see the properties and.
Speaker 1: Methods all the properties and methods of an object of an object exactly?
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember that one.
Speaker 1: Okay. So let's create a simple string object like the one we discussed before. Type this color equals blue color equals blue, Press enter okay. Done.
Speaker 2: Now let's use get member to see what's inside this color object. Okay, type of color okay, pipe, okay, get member, get member and press enter. Okay, now you should see.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is amazing. Yeah, I see a whole list of properties and methods. All those properties and methods, there's the length property we talked aboutre it is and methods like to upper and to a lower He got it. So if I wanted to convert that string to all uppercase, yes, I could just type your copyer two up exactly.
Speaker 2: And if you want to converted to lowercase color to lower Okay.
Speaker 1: This object oriented approach is really starting to click for me.
Speaker 2: It's a powerful concept.
Speaker 1: It is. It's like each object has its own set of tools and capability.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the key things that makes PowerShell so powerful, flexible.
Speaker 1: This is really exciting, it is I'm starting to see the potential of PowerShell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we've only just scratched the surface.
Speaker 1: I know, right, Yeah, and we've only just scratched the surface.
Speaker 2: We have a lot more to explore. Okay, but for now, let's take a short break and when we come back, we'll dive into more advanced PowerShell techniques and real world examples. Sounds good, Welcome back, You're ready to keep exploring the world of PowerShell.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm excited to see what else we can do with it.
Speaker 2: All right, so you also send some info about security.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was thinking, you know, if I'm going to be using this in a work setting, I can't imagine just embedding passwords in plain texts within a script.
Speaker 2: No, No, never do that, but especially.
Speaker 1: If they're going to be used on production systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to keep security in mind, especially with PowerShell.
Speaker 1: So how do we actually secure those sensitive bits of information?
Speaker 2: Well, the book talks about using encryption to protect that kind of data.
Speaker 1: So are there built in tools for that? In PowerShell?
Speaker 2: There are PowerShell has sem dalits specifically designed for encryption.
Speaker 1: All right, what are they?
Speaker 2: So there's the sem dealt called get Credential Credential, which lets you store a username and password securely in something called a PCEX credential object.
Speaker 1: A piece credential object.
Speaker 2: And then you can encrypt that and save it to a file.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a secure.
Speaker 2: Vault exactly, much better than plain.
Speaker 1: Text, right, way better? Okay, So encryption is important, always a good idea, especially when we're dealing with these automated scripts.
Speaker 2: Especially in work environment.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, Now I'm curious to see how we can apply all this knowledge to some real world tasks.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The book talks about a server inventory script.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are incredibly useful.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what would that do.
Speaker 2: Imagine you've got dozens or even hundreds of servers, okay, and you need to know what operating systems they're running, what hardware they have, what software is installed. A server inventory script can automate all of that.
Speaker 1: That sounds amazing, it really is. But how does PowerShell actually gather all that information?
Speaker 2: So the book uses two main techniques, okay, querying active directory and using those cimwmcmdalits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, IMWMRO we talked about earlier.
Speaker 2: So active directory. Yeah, it's basically like a phone book for the network.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to think about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's a central directory of all the users and computers on the network.
Speaker 2: So active directory is like the high level view. It gives you the big picture, okay, and then the CIMWM I cmdal it's.
Speaker 1: Those let you drill down, okay, into the specifics of each machine.
Speaker 2: So it's like active directory tells us you know the server's name, it's IP address. Right, but then CIWM I can tell us you know how much.
Speaker 1: Ram it has, exactly what kind of hard drive, all the details, got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So by combining these two techniques, yeah, you can get a really comprehensive inventory.
Speaker 2: And the book even mentions generating reports from this data.
Speaker 1: Reports are essential for making that data useful. Yeah, because otherwise it's just it's just a jumble of information. Right, exact report can summarize it, present it in a way that's easy to understand.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you can spot trends, identify issues, so on.
Speaker 1: So this server inventory script is a great example of how PowerShell.
Speaker 2: Can automate it is it's a really practical example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these complex real world tasks they had a lot of sisiments have to do on a regular basis. So what other real world projects?
Speaker 2: Wowbow, does the book go into automating user account creation?
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me about it. Yeah, creating user accounts one by one. It's tedious, setting passwords, assigning group memberships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a real time sink.
Speaker 1: I can see how automating that would be a huge win.
Speaker 2: It would free up so much of your time. So the book actually has a script that does just that. It can generate user names based on first and last names, set random passwords NIC and force password change so that that's good at first, logan.
Speaker 1: Right for security reasons exactly, okay.
Speaker 2: And even assign those departmental attributes and employee numbers.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a personal assistant.
Speaker 2: It's like having a little helper that takes care of all that tedious work.
Speaker 1: And the best part is what's that we can customize it. You can absolutely customize it to fit our organization's specific.
Speaker 2: Requirements and fit your exact needs.
Speaker 1: Okay, So user account creation another task automated, another one.
Speaker 2: Off the list. What else, have a deploying web servers with ice?
Speaker 1: Deploying web servers with ICE?
Speaker 2: PowerShell can automate that whole process too.
Speaker 1: Wow, So it's not just for managing Windows systems.
Speaker 2: No, PowerShell can do a lot more than that. It can even handle web server stuff.
Speaker 1: So what kind of tasks can we automate with PowerShell? In that context?
Speaker 2: You can create websites, configure bindings bindings, set up app pools at pools, and even configure SSL certificates.
Speaker 1: Hold on bindings at pools, SSL certificates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a whole new world can.
Speaker 1: You break those down for me. I'm not super familiar with all the web server jargon.
Speaker 2: So bindings basically determine how clients connect to your website. They specify the IP address right, the port, and the host name at Pools are like containers that isolate different websites and applications running on your server.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And SSL certificates, yeah, provide encryption and security for your website's traffic.
Speaker 1: Okay. So basically PowerShell gives us granular control.
Speaker 2: It gives you complete control over all.
Speaker 1: Those aspects of a web server. That's just starting to feel like we're building a whole it infrastructure with code.
Speaker 2: It's like you're an architect, but instead of bricks and mortar, you're using PowerShell commands.
Speaker 1: What else can PowerShell do in terms of managing servers and applications.
Speaker 2: Well, we can't forget about the cloud.
Speaker 1: The cloud, oh right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The book actually dedicates a whole section to working with cloud platforms like Azure and AWS.
Speaker 1: So PowerShell is not just limited to on premises stuff.
Speaker 2: It can reach out to the cloud as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are some of the things we can do?
Speaker 3: You can create virtual machines with PowerShell in the cloud in Azure or AWS, manage storage accounts, deploy applications, okay, even orchestrate complex cloud workflows.
Speaker 2: Wow, power show.
Speaker 1: It sounds like PowerShell's becoming like the universal language. It's becoming very popular of it automation, especially as more and more organizations move to the cloud. Right, yeah, okay, cloud automation check. Check what other superpowers?
Speaker 2: How about building your own PowerShell modules?
Speaker 1: Does PowerShell have in store for us? That's right, building our own modules.
Speaker 2: So once you're comfortable with PowerShell, you can start packaging your own scripts okay and functions into reusable modules.
Speaker 1: So we could create our own custom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your own custom tools, PowerShell tools tailored to your specific needs.
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 2: It's a great way to level up your PowerShell skills right right.
Speaker 1: This deep dive is taking us on quite a.
Speaker 3: Journey, it is.
Speaker 2: We've covered a lot of ground.
Speaker 1: We've gone from basic commands to cloud automation.
Speaker 2: And now module development and module development.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's next?
Speaker 2: Last time we talked about this project called power lab.
Speaker 1: Power Lab remember that, Yes.
Speaker 2: For building a whole lab environment from scratch, from scratch using PowerShell.
Speaker 1: I'm dying to know more about that.
Speaker 2: That's a really fun project.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to our deep dive into PowerShell. Last time we were talking about this power lab project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, power lab that lets us.
Speaker 1: Build a whole lab environment from scratch using code. It's a pretty amazing project, it is, and I'm really curious to hear more about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, power Lab is a great example of how powerful PowerShell can be.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Imagine you can set up an entire virtual network, okay, with servers, active directory and everything you need for testing and development.
Speaker 1: So it's like, all with code, our own little IT playground.
Speaker 2: Exactly, your own personal IT playground. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but where would you even begin with something like that?
Speaker 2: It can seem daunting. Yeah, but that's the beauty of power Lab Okay. It's designed to be approachable okay and modular Okay.
Speaker 1: So it breaks down this complex task exactly into smaller, more manageable steps.
Speaker 2: Right. The book starts by mentioning something called the power Lab installer.
Speaker 1: The power Lab installer.
Speaker 2: What do you think that this?
Speaker 1: Well, if power Lab is like building a house, okay, I'm guessing the installer is kind of like laying the foundation.
Speaker 2: You got it? Okay, It preps your system.
Speaker 1: So it gets everything ready.
Speaker 2: It takes care of all the prerequisites okay, like enabling PowerShell, remoting ok configuring firewall rules, setting up user accounts, even installing any necessary Windows features.
Speaker 1: So it handles all that tedious setup stuff.
Speaker 2: It automates all of that for you. I like it, so you can just dive right.
Speaker 1: In, right into the fun part to.
Speaker 2: Building your lab environment. Now, once the power lab installer has done its thing, Yeah, what do you think happens next?
Speaker 1: Well, now we've got to actually build the lab environment right right, So that's where we start defining all the functions exactly do all the work.
Speaker 2: So, for example, you might have a function called new power lab vm okay.
Speaker 1: For creating a virtual machine.
Speaker 2: Right, or a new power Lab VHD okay.
Speaker 1: For creating a virtual hard disk.
Speaker 2: Exactly, or install powerly operating.
Speaker 1: Systems, install the operating steam.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're getting it.
Speaker 1: So we're basically creating this toolbox. It's like a toolbox of a reusable component, so.
Speaker 2: Of specialized tools, right that we can then use to build whatever lab environment, to.
Speaker 1: Build whatever we need you need. And this is where that verb noun naming convention comes in handy right, absolutely, to keep everything organized.
Speaker 2: Especially in a big project like.
Speaker 1: This, right with so many different functions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want your code to be readable and easy to understand.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've got the foundation laid, We've got our toolbox ready.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: What are some of the key steps.
Speaker 2: So one of the first things you'll want to do.
Speaker 1: In actually building the lab environment is set up active directory directory.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the heart of any Windows network, right.
Speaker 1: For managing users and permissions and all that exactly. So do we have to manually set that up?
Speaker 2: No? No, No, PowerShell can automate that too, okay. Yeah. Power lab has functions all right, for creating a new forest okay, defining organizational units, creating user accounts, even assigning group memberships, all through code, all through PowerShell scripts.
Speaker 1: It's like we're building an IT empire with code.
Speaker 2: I like that an IT empire.
Speaker 1: What about the other parts of the lab, like what like the SQL server and the web server. Do those get the same automated treatment?
Speaker 2: Of course they do. Okay. Remember all those cmd lets, Yeah we talked about for configuring websites and bindings and SSL certificates.
Speaker 1: It's all coming back to me now.
Speaker 2: Our lab uses all of that deploying configure.
Speaker 1: So we're taking all these individual building blocks and assembling them into.
Speaker 2: A complete system, into a.
Speaker 1: Functional lab environment exactly. So by the end of this project, we essentially have a fully functional lab.
Speaker 2: You'll have a fully automated lab environment that we can use for whatever we want, that you can use for testing, development, whatever you can dream up.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: It is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: And the book doesn't stop there, right.
Speaker 2: Nope, it goes even further.
Speaker 1: It talks about refactoring the code.
Speaker 2: Yes, refactory, can you explain what that is? Sure? Think of refactoring, okay, as kind of tidying up your code, making it more efficient, more readable, easier to.
Speaker 1: Maintain, without actually changing what it does.
Speaker 2: Without changing its functionality.
Speaker 1: So it's like cleaning up your workshop.
Speaker 2: It's like organizing your tools.
Speaker 1: After a big project exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, So the book shows you how to identify common patterns in the code and extract them into more generic functions.
Speaker 1: So we're creating even more reusable building blocks.
Speaker 2: You got it. We can save you even more time in the future.
Speaker 1: This whole deep dive, it's it's been an incredible journey we've covered with that We've gone from basic commands basic commands to cloud automation, coltivation, to module developed, module development, refactory, factory, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 2: It's amazing what you can do, it is with just a few lines of code.
Speaker 1: PowerShell is a powerful tool.
Speaker 2: It is, and this is just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is just the beginning of your PowerShell adventure.
Speaker 2: There's always more to learn.
Speaker 1: There's always something new to explore, exactly, so keep learning, keep experimenting, and never stop automating.
Speaker 2: Well said, this has been a truly inspiring deep dive.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you enjoyed.
Speaker 2: It into the world of PowerShell.
Speaker 1: It's a fascinating world it is.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining me on this journey.
Speaker 1: It was my pleasure. And to you listening, Keep exploring, keep scripting, and who knows what amazing things you'll create with PowerShell.