Speaker 1: And good morning. Welcome to community connection here on K one AM fourteen hundred FM ninety three point three and ninety five point one. It is Wednesday, August ninth and currently eighty degrees. We've got a great group of folks in here from the Jimmy L. Dean Scholarship Foundation. We have Robert Boyd who is the chairman of the foundation as well as and that Boyd the executive director.
Speaker 2: Thank you both for.
Speaker 1: Being here, and Brian Treats a board member as well. Folks, thank you so much for spending some time with us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: Absolutely we're glad to be here. And so first of all, let's let's start out with the basics.
Speaker 3: Who was Jimmy Dean Jimmy L. D. So answer that one. Jimmy was my uncle, and he grew up in Bartlesville and his family were plumbers, said plumbing and did a lot of work on the Phillips Building, the old back in the old day.
Speaker 2: And then he went to.
Speaker 3: After he graduated from Bartlesville High School, he went through the Navy. Kind of an interesting story during Vietnam and he was a ship mechanic and he said he joined the Navy to see the world.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yes, And he.
Speaker 3: Was on his way to Vietnam when his father died. My grandfather died unexpectedly, and so they went and got him, brought him back, and he said, I joined the Navy to see the world, and all I saw was.
Speaker 2: A littlemore California.
Speaker 3: But he came back to Bartlesville and then so he lived a little wooded place about fifty acres on the Washington County side of Washington County Nowada County line Hogshooter Creek and worked at Phillips in their plastics department, did a lot of work with prototypes and things like that, and had really invested his money. Well, he didn't make a lot of money at Phillips. He never was a high paid executive, but he was very frugal, invested his money and he contracted mesothelioma so as a naval ship mechanic and worked in the plastics department at Phillips.
Speaker 2: So he had two of the three strikes right there.
Speaker 3: And when he became ill, we sat down and he established a fund where he really wanted Oklahoma students to stay in Oklahoma. He was, like I said, he was very frugal, and it frustrated him that we would educate kids here in Oklahoma and then they would go to Dallas or Kansas City or Yeah.
Speaker 1: I tell you that retaining the talent here in Oklahoma is always very important.
Speaker 3: And so I put this scholarship foundation together and he passed away in two thousand and eight, and so it's primarily for Oklahoma students. So they've had to lived in Oklahoma the last six years of their life, graduated from an Oklahoma high school, or finish their homeschool studies. We've had several homeschool kids and then attended Oklahoma College or trade school that we approve os U IQ is the colleagues that we have a lot of kids go to we os U and OU we also those and to major in a subject that really is what we call applied sciences mechanical engineers, HVAC people, and then we expect them to stay in Oklahoma after they graduate.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Okay? Well, I mean that that's that's really good to create that talent here, and uh you know, having these Bartlehill roots is also I think really important. Uh you know, Bartlesville has their hand in so many different things and and uh so your family member did a great thing here. And so the application period I understand right is open right now? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Actually, we're just going finishing up interviews. We've done the first batch of interviews.
Speaker 2: We have O s U I T left, and then will award them.
Speaker 3: The application period actually runs from November the first I see.
Speaker 2: Okay, so for next year there you go.
Speaker 1: So high school seniors, this is just another option that that folks have.
Speaker 2: And as you say, it's just not.
Speaker 1: Public school students who are who can potentially take advantage of that that scholarship, but private school and homeschool as well.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: And Nathan, what we found is the sooner we get out there and share this with people, the better.
Speaker 2: I have a daughter that's got a year.
Speaker 5: Before she heads up to college and we're getting through those applications now. And what we found, you know, we talked to all of our great high school counselors in Washington County and the surrounding regions and they do a great job.
Speaker 2: But what we've also found is the heartbeat of this is really are moms.
Speaker 5: So the sooner we get this in the hands of moms, whether it's on those Facebook groups or whatever, it is as we interview our students and we ask them, hey, how'd you find out about us?
Speaker 2: Because the cool thing with the scholarship is we stay wea through your entire study is renewable. But we found that moms are the magic.
Speaker 5: And so the more we get that word out to them, let them know now as they're preparing for the fall those applications come in. Bob told me something early on. The hardest thing you're going to find us it's hard to give away money, right, and we really want to be part of a fuel in the future for these students, and so so.
Speaker 2: The sooner the better we get the word out there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely so. The scholarship application will opening in in November for those who will be graduating in twenty twenty six, plenty of time to you know, really get there's so many options, but it's really good to see a local program that wants to retain Oklahoma talent. You know, there aren't very many scholarship opportunities out there that have that particular criteria.
Speaker 5: That's right if you want to be hopeful about the future and about the Oklahoma's future specifically, I did invite you, even Nathan, come send these interviews. We get to see the best and brightest.
Speaker 2: It's sometimes the best is to kind.
Speaker 5: Of turn away all the bad news and focus on what we have here in Oklahoma. And we have some young people here that are ready to be world changers, and it's a privilege to get to.
Speaker 4: See that, right, And not only do we fund the scholarships throughout their college career, but we also help them find internships and help them with job searches and so forth online. You know, so we want to stay with them throughout their whole career and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not only a scholarship program, but it's also a mentoring opportunity as well.
Speaker 2: Like, no, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: So we after we got some years behind us early on, it was very difficult for a lot of people to take us serious because you know, this is kind of unheard of. We don't care how much money your parents make. That's not part of our equation. Our criteria is pretty simple. You live in Oklahoma. You're in Oklahoma. You're going to go to an Oklahoma school that we approve of that's accredited, and you're going to stay in Oklahoma after you get out.
Speaker 2: That's it. And so What happened was we we missed.
Speaker 3: When we make an investment, we have to We only have so much money that we can give out each year, and the heartbreak of it is is we'll give one student. It'll be close between four or five students. We've got to pick one, so the others don't get it. And since we stick with them, we're committed for four or five years.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: What we found out was is that we about fifty percent of our money.
Speaker 2: They would even matriculate through.
Speaker 3: So we needed to do a better job of finding out they're going to stay with their major and they had the academic prowess, But then how many stayed in Oklahoma. And so this last year we started having an advisory board of our alumni who have graduated Oklahoma and stayed in Oklahoma and our current students. And what we found from our current students and also our alumni is is if they wanted to help with internships, because we have a great example right now. We have one girl who went to os you got an internship in Kansas and stayed there. So that's not fulfilling our mission. So we decided that because of our contacts, maybe we could help them find internships, and we found five of our students internships this summer, and I know two of them have already been renewed for internship the same internship next year. So we want to keep them rooted in Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: We're speaking with Brian Treed, Anette Boyd, and Robert Boyd with the Jimmy L. Dean Scholarship Foundation. Now you also have an event coming up as well. Pretty nice concert will help you, you know, sustain this program coming up in October. Who wants to talk about that one?
Speaker 2: Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Well, we're having a country music artist, Drake Milligan, and I'm not sure how many people have heard about him, but he's he's quite the rising star right now. He's been on a g T came in third I believe on that. He's gone out on tour with Cody Johnson, Blake Shelton, Landy Wilson, Luke Bryant some of those, as well as headlining his own.
Speaker 2: Shows and stuff.
Speaker 4: So he's got a very entertaining show, very upbeat, very great.
Speaker 2: Got a great boy, yes he does.
Speaker 4: So if you haven't heard him, you to go out look look for some of his music. But we're having a concert at Kayne's Ballroom. Great. Yes, They've been recognized as one of the top ten most iconic yes in America. So it's a great place to go see the Denu. Great concert and a and a great foundation to support. So the tickets sale, all the ticket sales proceeds go to fund more scholarships for students in the future.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: And before this October ninth concert at Kyne's Ballroom Free featuring Drake Milligan. Man, I've seen him and while on television, I haven't seen him in person, but he just has that that great soulful country boys school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of these newer Arsuer we're talking Aboutlady Wilson and and all of these folks. Zach Top is another one that just has that that real classic country feel to their music. It's gonna be a great one. So tickets, Where can they get the tickets for this fundraising concert?
Speaker 4: I can get them from our website at Jimmy Dean Foundation dot org, Caine's Ballroom's website, or Drake Milligan's website. Just be sure you go through that ticket the ticket link to get those there.
Speaker 6: Some of the other.
Speaker 4: Tickets are a lot higher.
Speaker 6: Yes they're they're thirty.
Speaker 4: Dollars plus fees. Yep on those links.
Speaker 2: So if you pay more than thirty dollars, you're on the wrong side.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's as a good reminder on those as well. Always going to be be mindful of those. So again we're talking about the Jimmy el Dean Scholarship Foundation. As we get close and those moms are out there saying, okay, kids, let's start looking at at opportunities. Where can they find information about the Jimmy el Dean Scholarship.
Speaker 4: On our website on at Jimmy Dean Foundation dot org is the best place to go. We're also on Facebook and LinkedIn perfect as well, but most of the details are on our website.
Speaker 2: I would encourage that website. It has everything there is we sit.
Speaker 5: Down and start interviewing the students that have taken time to read that and understand our core values we're able to do. Those are the ones that stand out, that's right, and so it has everything you need on there to kind of prepare yourself for it.
Speaker 2: Very good, very good.
Speaker 1: Well again. Robert Boyd, chairman, and that boy the executive director, and Brian treat board member for the Jimmy L. Dean Scholarship Foundation. Thank you so much for spending some of your time with us.
Speaker 2: Here's this for down Community Connection.
Speaker 1: Great program of you guys, have.
Speaker 6: No appreciate We appreciate your time, all.
Speaker 1: Right, you've been listening to Community Connection here on K one, No One you Trust.
Speaker 6: A mild start to our Wednesday, but once again a faster warm up on the way as the more typical August. He continues to take over high this afternoon of ninety five, but he did the next values, pushing over one hundred a south southeast breeze at about ten to fifteen miles per hour. That steady climb upward continues through the end of the week. Low's Thursday in the low seventies, highs Thursday in the upper nineties he did next out our above one hundred and five. Friday highs upper nineties he did next over one hundred and five from the Bob Mills Weather Center. I'm news on six media or all just Stephen therein.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Steven. We certainly appreciate that update on our weather. We have more right here on K one, the one you Trust.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to one on one with a professional, A paid presentation at fourteen hundred K.
Speaker 2: One