Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey Gary, now your face is graduated to acceptable for a sixty six year old.
Speaker 3: You're climbing up the ladder. Thank you, congratulations. Ah, my heart is full.
Speaker 1: What else is going on?
Speaker 3: Time for what's happening? Wow?
Speaker 1: We mentioned this in the first hour. More than fifty thousand La County workers walking picket lines to demand higher pay. As Michael Monks from KFI News mentioned earlier, it's kind of a time where you want to read the room right with them picketing for higher pay when they're brethren for the La City LA City departments are just getting laid off. This strike could mean closures or disruptions at libraries, healthcare clinics, administrative offices across La County. Union leaders say the two day walkout out that began last night comes because of failed negotiations for a new contract after the last one inspired expired back in March.
Speaker 4: We also mentioned the dire straits that the county is in. The County Board of Supervisors today is expected to approve a settlement of more than six the eight hundred claims of sexual abuse perpetrated by juveniles in juvenile facilities or foster care that goes back decades. This would probably be about a four billion dollar settlement and is considered to be the costliest payout in county history.
Speaker 1: Can I have some sad music please, so that we can all cope?
Speaker 3: Body, body, body, body, body, boody body.
Speaker 1: I mean that what kind of helps the news a little bit, but this is kind of sad stuff. Enjoy the sun now because it's going to get it still own out, cooler, cloudier, and a chance of ragin by the weekend.
Speaker 3: Did we do this last weekend?
Speaker 1: Our friend Henry from KTLA says, yes, temperatures today are great, but look at Thursday. We've got a storm to the north and it's throwing some moisture back our way. So maybe a chance of maybe Wednesday evening picking up some dark clouds. Guys, maybe a little light sprinkle here or there on Thursday. We're not taking a direct hit, but it will be cloudy and cool.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, people in actual other parts of the country do see weather. Severe weather underway today. They say life threatening flooding is expected to hit the plane states. This weather is going to continue to be bad, probably through.
Speaker 3: This weekend.
Speaker 4: Two reported tornadoes already, one near Minnesota and another one near fall Kenyan, Minnesota, and another one near Fall Creek, Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: The papal conclave will kick off in a week. May seventh is when it will begin, and the early bets are that it will last two or three days. People in the no predict maybe there are some cardinals that have kind of shined in the initial meetings. Amongst the one hundred or so one hundred and twenty cardinals that will be crowning the new pope.
Speaker 4: One of them will not be Cardinal Angelo Beccio. We've talked about this guy. This is a guy who five years ago was put on trial in a Vatican criminal court for allegations of financial misconduct. He was convicted of finance related charges a couple of years ago. He's appealing the conviction and the prison sentence that he was supposed to be serving five and a half year prison sentence. He did participate in some of the pre conclave meetings. The Cardinal Angelo Buccio has decided that he is going to withdraw from participation in the conclave for the good of the.
Speaker 1: Church have a sweet story about baby ducklings, and that is redundant. Yes, it sure is. No, no, no, no, no, I don't have a duck story. Showed me the booty give me kind of waddled their little booties, don't they. Yeah, I don't know if we should sex up the ducklings. That's kind of weird.
Speaker 4: Listen to the Jesus, Okay, so we know what it is.
Speaker 1: At least seven ducklings were in need of help, guys. They were trying to cross a busy road in Irvine. You know how wide those streets in Irvine can be. Imagine being a little duckling. What a sissphician task to cross? Jamboree?
Speaker 3: Can you even see the other side of it?
Speaker 1: You cannot if you're a little baby duckling. Are your eyes even fully functional? It was Sunday and it was at Irvine Center Drive in Jeffrey, so I wasn't far off. Patrol and Animals Serve were called and the arriving officers found the small brood of ducklings trying to dodge traffic while waddling across the road without their mother. You guys, The officers managed to corral the ducklings and place them into a box before determining what to do next. Now you may think it's odd that the police responded to it. Nay, I say, nay, it is not odd. The police department has reminded the public to indeed call officers if a wild animal needs help. Don't try to do it yourself.
Speaker 4: I know, but wild animal makes it sound like is there a giant attack ducks?
Speaker 1: Did you see the picture of the ducklings? How cute are they? Aren't? They just the cutest things ever. They're like dark brown and yellow ducklings, and their little faces and their chests are yellow. Very cute.
Speaker 4: I mean, despite the amount of porridge that they produce every single day.
Speaker 1: I think that one that one pooped right there. I know, that's fine. Listen, everybody pooped.
Speaker 4: I'm amazed that this is not a capital offence in the city of Los Angeles. That's a mural that pays tribute to Kobe and Gg Bryant vandalized in downtown LA.
Speaker 1: Oh, people are awful.
Speaker 4: This is on Main Street or West fourteenth. It was originally painted by slow motion Louie Motion. Shortly after Kobe and Gg and seven other people were killed in that helicopter crash, you can believe more than five years ago. But they showed a bunch of graffiti that was spray painted over most of the mural. Not clear exactly when it was vandalized. Timing wiser or who would have been responsible, obviously, and already there's a GoFundMe Paige to help raise money to help restore the mural.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon, We'll continue. Don't forget. It's Tuesday, which means true crime Tuesday. We've got a story about a teenage couple. It was a cheerleader and the last president that were killed in nineteen eighty five. And these murders are still rocking this small town in Indiana because a lot of the people who are around when this happened and were terrorized by the idea of somebody still out there now work for the police department that continues to investigate this double murder.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, Gary, Shannon John down in Orange County, you were talking about drinking champagne. I will tell you, prior to my wife and I getting married, she and her mom and sister drug me to a bridal show, but they were handing out free champagne and I had probably seven eight glasses of it. Next thing I know, I am laughing like a crazy person. I got tears in my eyes and I'm on the floor laughing so hard.
Speaker 3: It's bad stuff, man, that'll do it to you.
Speaker 4: The other thing we were talking about earlier was the rise in physical media. People are buying again vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, or or they're finding new value in the collections that they've already got.
Speaker 6: No way can I ever get rid of my CD collection? So, like Shannon, I kept all of my CDs in one of those book things with a bunch of sleeves in it. And when my mom moved to California, she was so kind to bring all of my jewel cases and give them to me, and was going through them with my children and found from the nineteen hundreds a blank T one eighty two CD signed by Travis Barker.
Speaker 7: They were like, you used to be cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm so using that every day now. From the nineteen hundreds. That is genius. It's so good.
Speaker 8: Hy Gary and Shannon Amber from Freezer Park. I have probably about seven thousand DVDs. I have a few hundred vhs, and my father just gave me his entire record collection, so I have a few hundred albums now, and I still have all my CDs, probably a few hundred of those too.
Speaker 1: Anyways, have a great day.
Speaker 3: The key is I still have those CDs.
Speaker 4: I have a DVD player, a Blu Ray, but I don't have it. I don't have a dedicated CD player to play them on, any of the old you know, stereo equipment that I kept or anything. I don't have CD players anymore, which some people probably don't either.
Speaker 7: Hey, Griyan Shannon, I have a huge collection of vinyl and CDs from the eighties.
Speaker 3: And nineties, from the nineteen hundreds of the.
Speaker 7: Police, Blondie, Squeeze, Tears for Fears, the Sex Pistols, the Pet Shop Boys, cold Play, and more, which to pass on to my nephews.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I would have put Coldplay in that list, but well that's because that's nearing your your catalog there.
Speaker 1: Coldplay has been around a long time.
Speaker 3: Not not like Blondie and Tears for Fears.
Speaker 1: No, you are all I mean saying that thing.
Speaker 3: I want to know where this is going? I can't see the road here. What's happening?
Speaker 9: Big Garyan Shanna. I started my collection of CDs back in the early two thousands and have approximately two thousand plus CDs as I continue to add to it as I go out to record stores. I prefer the clarity of the reproduction of the music, and as I've already bought the CDs, I could always rip the music and put it onto my phone and the cloud and any media that I choose, rather to have give somebody else money to listen to the same stuff that I purchased a decade ago, if not longer, plus no commercials.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say Coldplay is also from the nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not saying they're not, but she was refraining.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're going going to you know, century specific. I bet your kids, Well, maybe.
Speaker 4: My kids would know who Coldplay is, ye, they would not have known who in those other hey guys.
Speaker 10: On the CDs, DVDs and albums. I've probably got well over three hundred CDs a bunch of DVDs. I have no clue, but the treasure chess is I have over five hundred albums going back to the sixties, even some early Beatles and stones that are in Mono. I'm older and you guys obviously, and I can't part with them. I just can't.
Speaker 4: I think one of the things we did when we're cleaning out my parents' house was we found a bunch of records. Now, we went through a flood in nineteen eighty one and a lot of their albums, their record albums, were in the flood. So what they did was they took each record out, they rinsed it off because it was muddy water not muddy waters, and they rinsed off and they lay it flat and they put a paper towel down, and they'd rinse the next one and put it on top of that one and put a paper towel out. So there was a stack of I don't know, thirty or forty records, separated by paper towels because and then they never did anything with them. They I mean, they moved from northern California down to central California with those stacks. So I was going through stacks of old records like that. Now, they weren't cool. It wasn't rolling stones or beetles or anything like that. It was like classical music or the Count Basie Orchestra or something like that. Very cool, which, yes, but that's not what I was looking for.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes we find exactly what we need.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, easy, Jay, Shetty.
Speaker 11: Happy Tuesday, Gary and Channon. You all must be listening to my conversations because I was on the phone last night with my nineteen year old grandson trying to teach him how to use a record player. He figured out how to turn it on. He asked me, how do I change a song?
Speaker 3: I told him count.
Speaker 11: The lines, fast forward, have a great days?
Speaker 1: A good question, though, if you haven't seen somebody do it. Yeah, that's cool that he's able to call his grandmother and that she can give him that advice. I love that.
Speaker 3: How do you fast forward the song?
Speaker 1: What do you think your crand kids are going to call you and ask about the good old days the nineteen hundreds? Yea, Grandpa, what was it like? In all right, We've got a true Crame, true Crame, True crime Tuesday story for you.
Speaker 3: No, that's also from the nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: It is from the nineteen hundreds, the year of our Lord of nineteen eighty five. This is a double murder of If you come from a small town, you can imagine how much this would stay with you. The order of the class president and a cheerleader fifteen and sixteen years old, if you are growing up, if you have kids, if you're in high school, if you live in the town, this stays with you your whole life. Stories like this because it was never even solved.
Speaker 3: Crazy story.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty and this.
Speaker 1: Time on Tuesdays, we like to dive into a true crime case and all too often they are cold cases, and this one is no different.
Speaker 3: The story is true. That's true. No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon present True Crime.
Speaker 1: Mounsey, Indiana is the locale of our true crime Tuesday Tail. This was a story that began on September twenty eighth, nineteen eighty five. We're talking about sixteen year old Ethan Dixon and fifteen year old Kimberly Dow. Ethan is on the debate team. He's president of the junior class at Northside High School. Tons of friends. Kimberly JV cheerleader. She had just been elected to the Court of the homecoming Queen the week before. These two were found shot and killed in the hatchback in west Side Park on September twenty eighth, nineteen eighty five. Happened to be a police officer that found them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just before midnight, this officer from Munsey, Indiana and his canine were walking in west Side Park right along White River Boulevard, not far from Tillotson. You know, that is Tillotson and White River. Although parks closed at eleven o'clock at night, a few cars were still in the park. That wasn't that unusual. He wasn't there to bust people necessarily. He gets back to his car with the dog, ready to leave the park, and he realizes that there are some fresh tire tracks leading to a parked car, and he thought, well, you shouldn't be there now.
Speaker 3: I mean, it'd be.
Speaker 4: One thing if you were staying and gonna leave, but you shouldn't show up now. So his headlights sweep the car, and the people in the car didn't react to that.
Speaker 1: So he gets out and he walks up to the car. Its engine was still idling, and you could see a portable stereo visible in the back. Now kids. Back in the nineteen hundreds, cars didn't come with great stereos. They just didn't. The sound quality sucked, so sometimes you'd take your boom box. In the eighties, it was a popular item to have a big, old stereo and you'd put it in the backseat to your car so you'd have a better sound system. That is what they saw in the back of the car. They also saw that the officer also saw two fully clothed people, a young man and a young woman. They were in the front seats and it was Kimberly and Ethan that had both been shot in the temple.
Speaker 3: He was shot in the torso, oh, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry she had been shot in the temple. Now, the window glass on the passenger side of the car was shattered, so whoever who fired those shots in was on Kimberly's side.
Speaker 4: So you can imagine a small town month not tiny, but a small town like Munsey, Indiana. The deaths of two teenagers like this, very popular kids, was shattering to this community and they all wanted to see this thing solved.
Speaker 1: Now, in this day and age, you'd have what cell phone records, text messages, emails, all of those things that make solving crimes doable. In nineteen eighty five, none of that existed and so on its face there seemed to be no rhyme or reason, like you said, just good kids at the time. Paul Cox, he's now seventy one. He was captain in charge of officer training. Why was he there and why was he given the case? What that Maloney title? Well, the reason he had that Bologney title is he was demoted when he chose the wrong mayoral candidate in the previous election. So he was sent to Siberia of the police agency, which happened to be in charge of officer training. But he was also very well seasoned, so he was put in charge of this investigation. He was pulled from his usual duties and put in charge. He took the case file home. Paul did covered his family room floor with his contents.
Speaker 3: Interesting that he.
Speaker 4: Focused on Kimberly Dowell's stepfather as a potential suspect in this case. Mom claims that the stepfather was home the whole time and didn't actually leave the house until they had received word that Kimberly was missing or was gone, and that they were trying to find him. Sorry that they were trying to find her, and that's why the stepdad left the house.
Speaker 1: Not short on tips, he says, no crime has received the tips that this double murder did ten or fifteen an hour. They were getting. They didn't peter out for some time. Unfortunately, the tips never resulted in a solid suspect or an arrest.
Speaker 4: There was one of the guys that decided, Robert Weller, one of the investigators. He played on a hunch on what would be the tenth anniversary of the murders, so September twenty eighth, nineteen ninety five. He thought that there would be a chance that whoever did this was going to mark the anniversary of the murders by revisiting that park. So they staked out the park all night and came up completely empty. Now, again, all those tips that came in ten to fifteen a day that they were dealing with, and not one of them leads to a hard suspect. But they did have along with the stepfather, they did have some suspects.
Speaker 3: We'll tell you who those suspects were when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the West Side Park murders out of Munsey, Indiana. This sort of been nineteen eighty five, sixteen year old Ethan Dixon fifteen year old Kimberly Dowell sitting in a car Volkswagen Rabbit looks like listening to music late at night, probably making out that's what they do. But for some unknown reason, Kimberly was shot in the head, Ethan shot in the chest. They never came up with a murder weapon, although there was a holster they found in the car, but they said it probably wasn't connected to the murders. And despite the fact that there were a lot of tips that came in, they never really were able to solve this crime. And I mentioned that one of the officers that was investigating thought originally that the stepfather, that Kimberly's stepfather, might have been a good suspect early on, but it turns out that that was not the case. Stepfather had a pretty strong alibi, even though the only person who could verify that was his wife, Don Vogel, saying was his name. They never were able to pin it on him, or anybody else for that matter. So a couple of the people that were involved in all of this, I'm trying to find where the list of suspects went. I wanted to point out that again, even though this was an absolutely tragic story in that these two young these two teenagers, died, Kimberly Dowell's father, not the stepfather, but her father, said that one of the greatest things that came out of it was that the city itself, this town of Munsey, Indiana, came together.
Speaker 1: Some of the suspects and scenarios are as follows. As we mentioned, there were numerous tips and lead There was the Monte Carlo driver the popular car back then, a Chevrolet Monte Carlo, seen in the park that night. Police focused on finding that vehicle, as well as a second car. Released a composite sketch of the car's driver based on descriptions from witnesses. The driver of the Monte Carlo became a part of lore surrounding the case, but police ultimately said that they don't think the man nor the vehicle had anything to do with the slayings.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 4: The other one was the cross town rival. They talked about rumors or they'd heard rumors that sixteen year old Ethan had gotten an argument, maybe an actual fight with a teenager from the south side of Muncy. I mean, that's pretty specific, but at the time, the idea that he felt threatened after this thing lent some special importance to the presence of a knife that was found in his car. But people were police sorry, were never able to actually confirm that a fight had taken.
Speaker 1: Place's name Kate kept resurfacing. He was one of the first focuses of the police, but never charged, and he said that the rumors, by the way, in late nineties he did an interview, said they ruined his life. You can imagine. Then there was the drifter, one of the more chilling scenarios, that the two young people were targets of a random killer who was just passing through. Police looked at a similar incident in Kansas five years earlier, but said they didn't believe the cases were connected.
Speaker 4: And then finally, one of Ethan's friends said that he and Ethan loved dungeons and dragons and used to play Dungeons and Dragons on a regular basis. The last of the potential suspects in this case was quote the dungeon Master. Now, because Ethan and his buddies played dungeons and dragons. There was some talk, and again this is rumor mill talk, but there was some talk that the fantasy that is dungeons and dragons was somehow acted out and gone horribly wrong.
Speaker 1: I think that that was kind of one of the things that was speculated upon in the late eighties with a lot of different crimes of like, is it a dark thing that the kids, Yeah, because all these kids were into it, but it was kind of.
Speaker 4: Secretive and probably Ozzy Osbourne ACDC.
Speaker 1: One of the more poignant quotes I read in this article was from one of the friends of Ethan. Ethan was the kid who was shot and killed, the debate team member, the class president. Tom was one of Ethan's closest friends. They hung out every day, they played D and D together, they were both on the debate team. And Tom says that about Ethan, he was really smart, very charismatic, loyal to his friends, a lot of fun. He was class president, and he said it was such a dramatic event with dramatic ramifications that happened to a bunch of teenagers where the smallest thing is dramatic. They didn't well at night. Nobody did for the rest of high school. The next two years. Not until Tom left for college did he feel safe at night. But I thought that that was so so true. A bunch of teenagers were the smallest thing is dramatic, so true, right, and then this is the biggest thing that could possibly happen to them, and how much that how much weight that would come with it, would come with weight for no matter where you are in life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but again, still no solution to that murder of Ethan and Kimberly from back in nineteen eighty five. Reminder that our breakdown appears as itself if you want to go check out. We'll talk about what we learned early this morning and then before the show started, how we figured out exactly what's going on with the White House when it comes to tariffs the auto industry and the relaxation of some of those tariffs, but also what happened this morning between the White House and Amazon and the discussion of whether they're going to change their prices or display tariff pricing on some of their sites. All that is in the breakdown portion of the Gary and Shannon Show podcast that you can find anywhere you find.
Speaker 1: John Cobelt podcast coming up next, I hear his handing out fetanyl. Stay tuned, We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Stay dry.
Speaker 4: Everybody you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app