Speaker 1: I grew up believing that I had to sacrifice myself for everybody, for my family, for my job, and that moment, the only solution I had was just to end it all because I didn't want anyone to think that I couldn't handle it right. I wanted it to be an accident. Later that night, I was dolted awake by someone like knocking on my car window. Are you okay? Are you okay? As what I heard, and you know, my car was facing oncoming traffic. I was a hair away from a head on collision. It was that far. To this day, I still don't know how my foot went on the break. I had followed through with that fantasy of getting drunk and getting into a car accident, and being faced with that was like, what have I done?
Speaker 2: This is Wake Up with Marcy, a space for honest conversations about healing, recovery, and women's wellness. I'm Marcy Hopkins. Take a breath, You're safe here.
Speaker 3: Let's begin.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been the strong one, the capable one, the one everyone one depends on. But inside you're exhausted, You're depleted. What at the very thing that makes you strong is also what is keeping you stuck.
Speaker 3: Hello all, and.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Wake Up with Marcy. I am so grateful you're here. I'm your host, Marcy Hopkins, and I am an author, motivational speaker, TV host, and also a mental health advocate.
Speaker 3: And today I am so grateful for my guest.
Speaker 2: Today, we are going to meet the incredible Tracy Doyle, an award winning entrepreneur, author of Life Storms, and creator of the Aurora Method. Tracy went from building a multi million dollar company to hitting a breaking point that changed everything, and I bet a lot of us can relate to hitting that breaking point when we are overgiving ourselves. So now Tracy is helping women understand what's really driving emotional burnout.
Speaker 3: We're going to learn.
Speaker 2: What it is, how it's affecting us, and how we can get over it. She's also going to help us to reconnect, reconnect with ourselves, our lives, and the people that we love. So let's welcome Tracy. Now, Hello, Tracy, welcome to Wake Up with Marcy.
Speaker 1: Hey, good morning, Marcy, and thank you for having me this morning.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you and for you to share your story because so many of us women can relate to feeling like we have to do it all.
Speaker 3: I've been there myself, so I can truly relate.
Speaker 2: But I want to start with your powerful story. And there's a moment that you describe where you looked in the mirror and you thought I'm done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can you take us back to that moment and what was really happening for you internally?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That it's a hard it's very hard to share that moment of my life, but it's one that's super powerful because it was a turning point. You know, I was, you know, born to a mentally ill mom and she was a teenager. I became a caretaker by the age of ten because she had had me as a teen married when I was seven, and sadly, she married an alcoholic who you know, was hitting his bottom over the course of the four years that they were married. And so you know, what I was carrying with me was, you know, I had to assume responsibility at a young age because my mom couldn't handle the two kids. I had to step up because she wasn't available to step up for them, and so I really was helping my siblings and you know, essentially racing kids on the school yard for food. So here I am now I'm grown. I'm the first of my family to go to college, and you know, and the stress of the complexity of my family, managing my mom. You know, my sister at this point sadly had started using drugs. I had umed custody over two kids. So I'm an instat mom, I'm a caretaker. I'm trying to manage my own relationship, starting my own life. And then I'm a senior director at work. So I felt like that morning was like, you know, leading up to it, it was just, you know, I can't take it. I can't take it. I can't take it. It was just the overwhelm, the overwhelm, and then it felt like no matter what I said, no matter what I did, like people just seem to not understand me anymore. That's how I felt on the inside. So that morning, it was a it was a cold, gray winter's day. It was December twenty first, It's around the holidays, and I'm like getting ready for work and I just look at myself and I'm like, just eyes hollow. My spirit was just dim and I didn't recognize myself anymore. I just looked so just like empty, and inside I'm like I'm done, you know, and then the Scalaesian starts. You know, I'm done being responsible for my mentally, Oh mom, you know, I'm done taking care of my sister's kids, you know. And then it's like, I'm done being stretched in every single direction at work. I'm done being the fixer. I'm done doing everything for everyone. I'm done. And you know, in that moment, I was like, you know, if I just got good and drunk, maybe i'd crashed the car. And I'm like, yeah, if I crash the car, no one's gonna know, you know. I You know, I grew up believing that I had to sacrifice myself for everybody, for my family, for my job, and that moment, the only solution I had was just to end it all because I didn't want anyone to think that I couldn't handle it right. I wanted it to be an accident. Later that night, I was dolted awake by someone like knocking on my car window. Are you okay? Are you okay? Is what I heard. And you know, my car was facing oncoming traffic. I was a hair away from a head on collision. It was that far. To this day, I still don't know how my foot went on the break I had followed through with that fantasy of getting drunk and getting into a car accident, and being faced with that was like like, what.
Speaker 3: Have I done?
Speaker 1: You know? And how did I feel? Lost? So that moment it was powerful. And that next day, I mean the guilt and the shame of having almost killed two people, almost killing myself. But yet my head and my heart are fighting because I'm screaming at myself like how could you do this right? And yet my heart sang, Tracy, You're still here, You're still here, and you know, And then I just yelled out it's something I hadn't done in a long time, which is I want to live. I want to live again. And that moment was of it all because help me understand my first real lesson, which is, you know, we sacrifice ourselves for everyone, right, but sacrificing yourself doesn't mean abandoning yourself, and I had done that. It means putting yourself first while you're managing everything. And I didn't know how to do that. So for me, that meant I needed to get help. And that's when my journey started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so of things that I can relate to in your story. First off, I want to ask you, is your mother still with us?
Speaker 1: She's not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my mother was an alcoholic and I dealt with a lot of feeling abandoned, being kept in homes that weren't safe and such, and it really affected me. One of the things I've had to do on my healing journey is fine forgiveness for my mother right for her disease of alcoholism, for her inability to be the mother that I wanted that I thought I should have, and then also be grandmother that I thought maybe she could be for my children and she couldn't be, and what she put me through. So that was a very big freeing moment for me. I won't say moment. It was a journey of learning to process on how to do it. Have you yourself been able to forgive your mother?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. You know what I learned was in that moment. So that started my journey and what felt like ten years right because I needed to get you know, obviously, I had suicidal ideation, so I had to get treated for depression. I went to therapy and you know, and I'm working through I had had some trauma. My biggest traumas were really when my mom was married, because she couldn't handle with her own liabilities, if you will, or limitation. She couldn't handle the pressure of a man not providing food. We had no food, we had no running water. You know, she just didn't know how to handle it, so she just shut down. She had In today's day it would be called bipolar depression. So I forget which it's bipolar one or two. I can't remember. So, you know, so for me, like as a kid, right, you internalize that as neglect. You internalize that she doesn't care and nobody cares. You internalize that as I have to do everything myself. And so over that course of ten years, when I realized, when I got to that breaking point, that it wasn't my mom. It wasn't what happened to me, you know, it wasn't it wasn't my job, It wasn't all of that, right, It was really my own beliefs doing it. See, because I had grown up believing I had to sacrifice myself as the real issue was. I grew up believing I had this pervasive belief that I didn't belong and I thought that if I when one hundred and ten percent, then maybe I would, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Same for validation outside of ourselves.
Speaker 1: Right, performance became that I became an overachiever, and performance became the most sophisticated hiding place from dealing with all that pain. So what I learned was was that it was I had a good friend of mine on this journey. I mean, there were so many influences. So I talked to you for hours about that, but I had one specific friend. I'm from the pharmaceutical industry originally, and she said, you know, your life experience to shape your thinking, recognize how they've shaped your thinking. You're empowered to change. Right. So I'm you know, I'm like, I don't know what she's talking about. I'm so lost what she what she meant was was that. And this is where I go back to my original upbringing. In college, I studied psychology and counseling, and you know, I wanted to be a clinical psychologist, but I put myself through school I couldn't do it. So as I'm really unpacking what she's trying to teach me, because she was a trainer in the SECH in the pharmaceutical industry, you know, it brought me back to a concept from Abraham Maslow, which basically says, whenever our basic needs are stunted, So our basic needs belonging, security, like you just said, our esteem, right, which is sort of part of belonging and our ambitions for ourselves. What happens, right, we come from a place of just looking at life through a straw where we just lack. I don't have this, I don't have that. The way you felt with your mom, I felt the same way. She's never going to this, she's never going to that. And I'd have people telling me their opinion, you just need to get over your mother, right. So but anyway, so what she did was she took me through this tool that she had learned, and what it was was like, you know, who hurt you, who were you angry with? What did they do? How did it affect you? And I got to I saw Maslow there, But then I said, how did you respond? Right? And when I saw how I was, I got to see patterns, and then what I saw was specific self centered traits. So what I mean by that is she was trying to help me understand that the word resentment. She was in a twelve step program. The word resentment comes from the French word race centier, which means to refeel deeply. So what was I refeeling? I was refeeling those whenever my spidy senses were up, I would feel threatened that I wasn't belonging. I would feel threatened that my security was threatened, either my emotional security or my safety. And that was the wound, right, that was the refeel. But she said, what's the initial belief that you created as a result. I got to look at Wow, my needs were really really stunted because I had some significant experiences. That's not to say that you have to have trauma for this to happen. We all have it. I mean I've worked with the menue. I haven't had anything near what I've experienced, and we end up in the same place when we create these initial belief So for me, the belief was nobody cares. So I thought my mom didn't care and you know, and it took me to I'm not good enough right, and then it took me to I'm never going to belong and then it took me to you know places. First it was seeking validation, like you said, and that relationship. In an addition, I then developed this exterior of you know, I'll show you I'm self important. So what did I do with her? So what I got to see in this exercise was I would abandon her. I I'm a good abandoner. Like if you upset me, that said, I'm done. So if she would have a bipolar rage, I'd be like, that's it. I'm gonna punish you with silence for six months. And then when I got to see how I treated her and I realized that she's a woman with limitations, I was like, wow, just as a rule, so that what that look like is what I call an acknowledgment conversation. I actually I had a prep for it because I knew she would She's very reactive. Well she was, and I had to really prep with you know when I started the conversation, which sounded like this, you know, mom, I've really been thinking about our relationship. And what I've reflected on is that anytime you yell at me, aye, and then she gets defensive, right, so she starts yelling at me. But I waited and when she finished, I said, already done. She said, yeah, go please hear me out said, anytime you yell at me. What I realized is is that I abandon you and I punish you with silence. I don't talk to you for six months, three weeks, however long. And I realized how hurtful that must be, because I'm your daughter and you don't know where I am, and you must be really scared when I do that. And she started crying. We hugged, and I said, I and what I can promise you is that I won't ever do that again, and you know, no matter how hard it gets. And what that did for our relationship was it helped me realize that she did care right, but she was capable of a one way relationship. So I had to you know, what do they say, shift your sales or whatever. I forget that I love that little thing with the little sailboat, But I shifted my perspective to what does the one way relationship look like? I call her and listen, does it mean that she's giving to me? I had other people when I put the straw down. I had so many people in my life that Karen and were able to nourish me in ways that she couldn't. It was all there, But so I had to break through that limitation. And I call that the city of limitation, we say, stuck in self centered thinking from these refeels that we have.
Speaker 3: So I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that because that's where I did learn all of that was through the twelve Steps. And what it took me too, is being able to look at myself. And the thing is that we only are capable of changing ourselves exactly.
Speaker 1: We change exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it is a beautiful thing. It's one of the hardest things for people to do is to look at themselves right, to see their part and and create that change. But I think a lot of that once we start doing that and we start prioritizing ourselves while also being there for other people, because that's fulfilling in its own way when you when you do it in.
Speaker 3: The right way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So so that's one of the things that I wanted.
Speaker 2: To talk to you about, talk to you about because I related so much about it. And so what we're talking about that hyper independence and and how that can actually be a trauma response.
Speaker 3: So can you talk a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was going to say, since you know the twelve steps, you know, so what you know when you when you learn the tool my friends shared with me was from the fourth step in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous and you know it it has like four little columns. But what she taught me was to look at it in another way, and this was the most you know, again, I'm going to tell you psychologically and from my training what I saw and it blew my mind, which is why I want to teach this as many so you know how it says like your you're you know, you look at your you know what did I do in response to that? And then you have to go deeper? Like where was I afraid? You know? Was I inconsiderate? Was I dishonest? Was I self seeking? Was I selfish? Well? That for me as as a person who was selfless, who sacrificed herself, you know, I was like, are you fing kidding? I'm New Jersey, I'm like, are you me? I'm like, how dare you like call me selfish? But as my friend is explaining it, what I took that as what are self these self centered traits? Right? So I'm you know, I had you know, straight a's in college. I'm looking of self centered traits, right, And what I learned was, you know, selfishness means being absorbed in self. But if you really define the ish, you can change. And that's what I learned. So I looked up words like self pity. I felt sorry for myself, which I did. Self avoidance. I avoided people, I avoided my feelings, and I avoided you. Self reliance. I became very reliant at a young age. So what did I do. Now, let's fast forward. I'm a CEO of a multimillion dollar business and I'm like, I'll do it myself right anytime something happen. And what message was I giving to people? I don't trust you, I don't think you have skills. Meanwhile, that's not what it was at all. It was my own fear. So what I got to see was in the presence of fear right, and I like Tony Robbins's work lost fear less fear, never fear. In the presence of lost fear, what was my combo? Did I become thoughtless or inconsiderate or did I become dishonest? And I got to see different. I'm all about patterns. To see these patterns, and I'm like, Wow, when I'm afraid I'm going to lose something, I get really really thoughtless. I don't care about people, and then I get very self reliant. And when I'm self reliant, man, I get like self righteous, like my way or the highway, and now there is no connection. I created so much friction and and I was pretty much trying to say it was all about because I had all these pressures on the outside. So what I've learned over the years is I, you know, I started mentoring women that this was like a professional in my professional seat, I had so many women who were struggling, and I'd have you know, client like meeting my clients and the pharmaceutical insure like what are you doing? Like how do you manage all this? And how do you stay sane? So I started really walking people. I had no name for it yet, and you know, and I'm walking people through this framework and I'm helping them see how their life experiences shape their thinking, and how they're thinking really keeps some stuck in conflict and drives them to emotional burnout. And because so many people are burned out, and so then I started to see, well, you know, this person improved a relationship with her husband, that one stop the fight with the boss, Because why do people get fired because they're in conflict with people, right. I mean, you know, it doesn't matter how talented you are. If you can't get a lot of people, no one wants you on the team. I started doing this work with people in my company and you know, and people were like, wow, this is amazing. So then I started looking at what do you do for you know, what do you do for you know, burnout? While they say change your attitude, change your perspective? Well great, how the jersey again, how the f do you do that? So I went back to my friend and I'm like, what do I do with all this information? So she helped me see my like my initial beliefs and you know, and I got deep with them. And she was into all these other books too, Like one book that I love is it's called Discover the Power Within You by Eric Butterworth, and it was just, you know, it was just all about like how do you do develop your own personal affirmations? And so I loved it. And I got to see like, if I'm refeeling not belonging and I think I'm not good enough and I go to fear and I'll never belong, well I needed to do that. I'm worthy as I am and I belong right here, and that became my mantra. Right. But then when the traits would flare up, which they would, because you know, you feel threatened in a conversation, someone does something, the fear gets stoked. What do you do? You know that's me When I realized I had to breathe out fear and breathe in centeredness and calm, you know, breathe out self reliance, Breathe in the ability to ask for and accept help, you know, breathe out fear that I will lose people if I set boundaries, breathe in the ability to set them. I mean, I was able to really work in a way that was intentional. And I then understood what all the behavioral experts talk about in terms of mindfulness, all the mindfulness experts, I couldn't underst stand any of that. And once I did, I was like, Wow, I can create my own personalized mindfulness practice. So really, I named it Aurora because it's she's the goddess of Dawn in Roman mythology, and it means at any point you can start over, no matter how deep the storm is on the inside and you're struggling in conflict, you can break free and find that personal fulfillment again. So I hope that answered your question. I know was a long answer.
Speaker 2: Well, I can relate to so much and that's why I really wanted to have you on the show because I myself am over ten years sober and I actually my book is coming out today called wake Up, You're Not Broken, and it's a companions to your first thirty days of sobriety, right, so walking you through that, the emotions, the physical part of sobriety, what you're going to be feeling, what you're going to be going through. While that is all very important. Once you are able to get through those those let's just say first six months, really, then you can start retraining how you're thinking. And that's what you do, and that's and that's where the change really begins to happen. Because I put up all the walls. I was an overachiever. I thought that I could do it all on my own. I didn't rely on people, and people were replaceable and if you did me wrong, I.
Speaker 3: Was out right.
Speaker 2: Maybe not initially, but once once I hit the final right.
Speaker 3: That was it. The plateau. You're done.
Speaker 1: You're done, right, absolutely, yep, burnout slowly erose relationships.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, and I had really I had a lot of difficulties in relationships, but it was once I started that work looking at myself that I was able to start changing my relationships exactly. I mean I thought I didn't want to be with my husband, and then once I started the work, I mean, we have the best marriage possible, right, So it really is incredible once you start doing this work. And you said about not understanding it and the mindset work. So if you're someone right now listening and you're not there, you're not understanding what do you mean, breath work? What do you mean afromage? Are you looking at myself and going deep? Like it may not make sense right now, but it's once you start reading, once you start listening to people that are doing this work and sharing about it, it's these little bitty shifts that start happening for you and it starts making sense, and then you it's so important that you must do the work, you must put the action in because otherwise it doesn't work exactly.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry, no, go ahead, Yeah, I was going to say to add to that, you know, I want to say for anyone who's out there who because I tried everything, and so you know, I learned this work. But then, like everything right, like you exercise, you lose weight, then you stop exercising, you you know, go on a diet, you lose weight, then you go back and eat the things you're not supposed to. What I found when my friend showed me this and I started, you know, and I figured out how to practice my mindfulness. It's it's easy to back off of stuff. But the one thing I was going to say is is that if you've tried so many things and you feel like nothing works, I could tell you this does right, and you can and Marcia you can say you can say the same thing. The thing is is it's daily practice. Mindset is daily practice and rewiring. You know, if we're hardwired, yeah, we can rewire, but we have to continue to maintain that wire. If we don't, it's like we just naturally go back to those feelings of you.
Speaker 2: And we were wired that way from everything that happened in our past.
Speaker 1: Exactly. So because we take a lot.
Speaker 2: To rewire it when we had a decision to do it, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that so once I got vulnerable, once I surrendered, like wow, first of all, asking for help, yep, so difficult. But I myself, I got a DUI. I almost had, you know, an accident, but thank god I didn't.
Speaker 3: I lived with that shame. I lived with the guilts. So you know, parallels there also.
Speaker 2: But once I knew it was like once I dropped being the victim and I woke up that next day and I got vulnerable and I asked my husband for help. That was incredible. But I know people feel like it's a weak thing to do. Why is vulnerability actually the key the key to making the change?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a lot of us look at vulnerability as weakness. The thing is is when we become vulnerable, we become open, and that, to me is the key. I when I first, you know, when this happened to me, you know, I it was horrific. I wanted to die for like six months. I mean I fantasized about this execution plan of how I'm going to die for six months, driving every day to work. And when I went through with it, it was around the holidays, and so you know, it was it was hard. It was like you said, you know, that's shame. And honestly, this is the first time. That was December twenty first of nineteen ninety nine. I am now finally able to talk about that, okay, because in my in my career, you know, you know, I have to you have to wear the veneer, right, I mean professionally when you're managing it all, you don't want anyone to think that you know, you're cracking. But meanwhile, on the outside, I had it all. I had it all, the house, the luxury of vacations, the car and the nice cars in the driveway, you know, the big job, all the money, right, But meanwhile inside I'm falling apart. And what I learned was and this one book really got me. So I'm you know, I'm going to therapy blah blah blah. And this book it's an oldie but goody. It's called Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers. And what she tells you to do is she tells you to be vulnerable and just pick one person, which is what I did. And picking that one person, it was like, I put my hand out, like please, I just want to tell someone what happened because I was so ashamed, and she extended her hand back, and luckily for me, she was in a twelve step program. She had all these tools that I had never in my life even seen understood. But it brought back everything I learned and it made it. It helped me internalize it because I like the work of Carl Jung, and Carl Jung says, when you can make conscious what's been unconscious, you can change your life. And so when she showed me how to look at how my life experienced to shape my thinking, it was like, Wow, what was shaped can be reshaped. I get everything that everyone's saying. Now, how do I reshape it? You know? What is it? You know? And when I saw it, when I saw it, it was it was my willingness to be vulnerable, and that willingness opened me up to a place where I could receive the help I needed and the guidance. And getting that guidance, I mean, it enhanced what I did in therapy. It enhanced every book that I had ever read in psychology. It was amazing. And so then it wanted me to you know, it not wanted me, but it propelled me to want to learn more about how to build that relationship and restore it with myself. And more importantly, how do I break through these fractures that I created from my burnout? Because my you know, what I found is when I'm burned out, you know, it's almost like those hard wires come It's not that they come back, but all of a sudden, you're only seeing life through this straw, right, You're only seeing the thought distortion. Nobody cares see, No one cares, you know, and you're just fueled when you don't give yourself grace and space to be with yourself and support yourself. That's what I learned, and you know, and for me, when I recognize that those those thought distortions take over, it's like, no wonder. I need to do this daily because life is filled with pressure. We have a twenty four hour on culture now, right, we don't. You don't get a break. You got to meet it. I love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, you can slip, and that's why you just got to keep yourself on track and you can do it all day long.
Speaker 3: You can get yourself back on.
Speaker 1: Well you want to do Yeah, you're right. I call it the one minute reset because it said me sitting in a meeting and I'm breathing in, breathing out no one. It's not like I'm sitting there like you know, I'm just like calmly like I you know, I'm staring, but it's as if my eyes were closed and I'm just breathing in and breathing out, and I'm nodding and slowly blinking my eyes, and I'm resetting myself.
Speaker 3: Right, resetting myself.
Speaker 2: And you could change the words that you say, change the words that you say to yourself, and you know, walking into that fear doing it anyway, I've learned to do that right, and we don't move forward. And one of the one last thing I just it's amazing how many things I relate to you with you about And I used to think, not necessarily that I wanted to pass away, but I was so exhausted. I would be like, if I could just get in a car accident, I could just lay in the hospital and I wouldn't I wouldn't have to live. I could just take care of myself. And how sad that we would have to think that way just to take care of ourselves to get right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's set emotional bankruptcy. And the thing that I've learned is is that you know, I created that bankruptcy because I was not willing to put myself first. We didn't know how right they didn't. I will say, though, I've worked with women who, like I said, hadn't had our experiences. You experienced addiction in your life, I did. In mind, that was the most profound shakeup for me in terms of trauma that period of my life. But I've worked with women, you know, executives, physicians because of the industry I was in. And one of my favorite stories is a woman. She's a physician. She didn't grow up with any trauma, any addiction, anything like that, but yet she struggled, and she had conflicts with others. And when I did the Aurora method with her, you know, what she saw was her wound. Her refeel was she felt rejected by some girls when I forget if she was between ten to eleven somewhere around there and right, but she felt rejected. She went home. So it is trauma because we're all wounded. The thing, though, was she went home, she asked her her mom, her mom or dad, I can't remember, but one of her parents like, do you think I'm fat? Because she thought it was her weight is why they were rejecting her. So of course busy parents they were like that's ridiculous, right, They just you know, like that's ridiculous. No, you're fine, And she internalized that as nobody supports me. Okay me. What I've learned is that we're all wounded, right, we all have experiences in our lives that we internalize that create these initial beliefs. And so for her, was hers was basically nobody supports me. It was a security emotional security thing. She didn't feel emotionally safe. They were great parents, right, So what we got to see was how that no one supports me it played out at work. It was really wreaking havoc in her marriage. And once we got her to the reset and shifted and she started practicing mindfulness with it, I am like she still calls me to this day and it's like, oh my god, oh my god, like everything's gone upset, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it works is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So tell us about your book, Life Storms. When did it come out?
Speaker 1: So here's My Life Storms, Finding Your Clear Sky. And so the whole idea is is for those of us who have emotional burnout, what happens we're reactive all the time, right, we you know, and we got ashamed of how we react and respond. So the life storm is really the daily churn right that we have. We're under pressure all the time, and if you've healed from burnout, the symptoms do come back. With my own experience, that's why. But finding your clear Sky is all about how to practice mindfulness and how to overcome those negative thinking uh tho, that negative thinking that comes along with it that keep us stuck in what I call the city of limitation. And also how do we I was put it here, how do we build connection and find personal fulfillment because I for me found that personal fulfillment is an inside job. I was seeking it outside of myself, the big job, the salary, the car, the house. Today fulfillment means. What it means is connection, you know, connection with the people in my life and just having that joy, that inner joy, and getting there took time. But the book is really it's a step by step framework. As I said, I named it the Aurora Method to let you know that no matter you know, you don't have to wait for life to calm down, no matter the storm, you actually can change right now if you give yourself permission to do it. And I encourage every woman, every every person who's struggling, who's ready for change, you know, who want to uncover what's driving their relationship conflicts and burnout, who wanted you know, you know, break the patterns, the negative patterns, and keep them stuck and go back to feeling connected right and coming from a place of calm and centeredness and confidence rather than reactivity. This is for you, and that's what the book's about.
Speaker 3: Oh. I love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: I you know, it's a lot of us do react to life and we don't even understand that we're doing it or understand it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I used to move all the time, and because my life was in chaos, thinking that it would get better, and ultimately I was always taking myself with me.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the chaos always followed, right, Well, that's.
Speaker 1: The mattern, right, So that was your pattern.
Speaker 2: But I had to change myself and breaking those patterns and also generational cycles. That's one of the things that I talk a lot about and I always say, and I'm so glad that you incorporate the work because I always say, I wish everyone had the twelve Steps in their lives, because it is life changing. So I've had therapy, but truly the changes came through the work I did through the twelve Steps and also the mindset work connecting spirituality. You've got to have community moving from that place of lack, moving.
Speaker 3: Into gratitude and was content.
Speaker 2: It is so vital and just for everyone out there to know that really they're not alone and there's so many connections out there that can help you or or they're already there. They're there, you just need to acknowledge that they're there. And community is so important and going within. Everything you need is within you and right so we're all always on the hamster wheel and we're always looking for the accolades and the validation outside of ourselves, but putting on our own oxygen mask first so we can be the best for ourselves and then the best for others, because we are nothing and if we're not taking care of ourselves, we're no good for anyone. And there's so many people that rely on us as the woman. True, we truly do carry a lot, but it's so important that we do prioritize ourselves. And it doesn't even have to be a lot of time, it's just and if you're someone like, I'm sure you, Tracy, schedule it, put it in your calendar like you put everything else.
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's true. I mean I wait for me personally. I wake up in the morning, I take about five minutes for myself of quiet, you know. And quiet's hard because you have like I got this, I got that, I got this, but it's finding it. And I go back and I want to just again say, you know, my friend who was in that twelve step program, I mean, the level of wisdom she shared with me was amazing, and you know, and basically, you know, I remember, you know, she would want me to try and quiet my mind, and I'm like, I don't know how to quiet my mind, like you know. And she's say, well, did you ever learn anything quiet your mind? I'm like, well, yeah, back in college, I learned this exercise where you stare at a candle and you see the flame in your mind's eye. She goes, how long did that take? I'm like, I don't know. A minute. She goes, sit down and do it. It's like really okay, but anyway, I found that minute. But then I found other things to do and I like to stretch, right, so I sit and I stretch in the morning, and I take that stretch and I go through my intention of what I you know, who I want to be today, right, Like, I don't want to be that reactive Tracy. I want to be centered in calm, you know. I want to be open and receptive to challenges, you know, I you know, and not react, right. I want to be kind and understanding, not coming from self righteousness all the time. Like I had to learn what the oppos it was of these traits. And so those are my intentions now. And when I do that, I have a pretty good day. But yeah, do I get derailed, absolutely right, And when I get robbed. It's not about going back to the drama and the chaos that does this on the inside. It's about, Okay, I have one minute reset I could do right now. There's so much we can do, and I, you know, and for anyone out there who's struggling, I mean, the thing is, the thing I had to do is give myself permission to put myself first. And you know, and basically I needed to ask myself, am I ready to rethink my approach? Because my approach wasn't working. It took me to wanting to kill myself, right, Am I ready? Am I ready to rethink that? Am I ready to reset myself? Am I ready to restore relationships with you know, with myself and with other people? And if you can unequivocally answer those questions, yes, and you're ready for change?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are?
Speaker 1: You are?
Speaker 2: And I know that a lot of times we maybe don't make the change because we don't think we can, but you really can.
Speaker 3: I did have to hit the rock bottom.
Speaker 2: I tried to create change for myself and then I convinced myself that I didn't need the change.
Speaker 3: But you know what, that's okay.
Speaker 2: That's why they say if you have a setback or you relapse in life, just be be gentle and be kind. You're human, And like Tracy and I, Tracy was just sharing.
Speaker 3: Trying to be.
Speaker 2: Peaceful and not be reactive, but realizing that you're human and if you do it, if you do this work, you can literally realize that you're doing it and and and just change it quickly and and reverse what you're doing, right, because a lot of times just remember like reacting to life and then you've made a situation so much worse, and now you've got to go and apologize or try to make it better or run away. Right, So it's just you just do come become so much more resilient in life, and and just you can manage life in a whole different way. So, Tracy, where can we find you? I'm so grateful for this conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so well, the books have available on Amazon and in multiple formats. I know how busy people are, but I'm at Tracy. You know, Tracy Doyle dot life. You know www dot Tracy Doyle dot life. That's where I'm at. But if anyone out there, you know, is really struggling, it's just meet with Tracy dot coach. I'm happy to give a three thirty minute consultation if you're ready for change, because this work is groundbreaking. It blows your mind when you have clarity, because it gives you clarity on top of giving you the to improve your communication. That's what it teaches you.
Speaker 3: Communication is key. That's what I talk about.
Speaker 2: One of the first things I have the care method communicating with others and is just so vital to create the change of how we communicate. And you showed that through your communication with your mother and how the outcome was so different.
Speaker 3: So for all those out there.
Speaker 2: If this conversation spoke to you, share it with someone who needs to hear it. And Tracy, thank you again for coming on Wake Up with Marcy.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Marcy, and congratulations on your book. It sounds really great.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And for all those out there, if you're in your own healing journey.
Speaker 3: Please check out Tracy's.
Speaker 2: Book when it comes to emotional burnout and rediscovering yourself. And if you are ready to surrender to a life without alcohol, please check out my new book, wake Up You're Not Broken, which is a compassionate guide guiding you through the first thirty days of sobriety, helping you to understand the emotions, the mental side, and the physical challenges.
Speaker 3: Of early recovery.
Speaker 2: This book reminds you that you are not broken, you are healing, and a new life is possible. So remember your becoming and it is time to wake up to your worth. I'm Marcy Hopkins and this is Wake Up with Marcy and I'll see you with a new episode every Thursday.