Speaker 1: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 2: Good Evening. Melissa Ramirez, Claudine and Luerra, Giselda Hernandez, and Janelle Ortiz were four marginalized women striving to make ends meet as sex workers. They looked out for one another, but they would soon share a connection that none of them could have imagined. When Melissa was found dead, the other three women were on edge but assumed they were safe. Twelve days later, they too were dead, and police had detained an unlikely suspect, Juan David Ortiz, a ten year veteran of the US Customs and Border Protection, where he carried a badge, a service revolver and was entrusted to protect the community in which he eventually killed. From September three through September fifteenth, twenty eighteen, Ortees, a husband and doting father to three children, lured his victims into his white Dodge truck and drove them to the outskirts of town, where he violently executed them, leaving them dead or dying on the sides of dark rural roads. In this fast paced, electrifying TikTok Pulitzer Prize winning USA Today journalist Rick Jervis tells the gripping story of the four murders that shook the small border town of Laredo and the quest to unmask a cold, calculated killer who was hiding in plain sight. The Devil Behind the Badge is also a deeply human portrait of the four lives lost and an attempt to uncover what motivated or teases descent into darkness. Along the way, it raises serious questions about the border crisis, the abuse of law enforcement, and the challenges of a federal agency to police its own ranks. The book that we're featuring this evening is The Devil Behind the Badge, The horrifying twelve Days of the Border Patrol Serial Killer, with my special guest, USA Today journalist and author Rick Jervis. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this you Rick Jervis, thank you, Dan, thank you, and congratulations on your book. The devil behind the badge.
Speaker 3: Thanks Anne, appreciate it and great to be here.
Speaker 2: Let's start with as you do in part one introduced Pat and Nora Roth, the relax In and Laredo and San Bernardo Avenue as you do in your book.
Speaker 3: So this is where the bulk of the book takes place. It's a stretch called San Bernando Avenue and San Bernando is a is a several miles stretch of avenue running downtown Laredo, and it's kind of known as the red Light district. It's where a lot of the sex workers populate, it's where some of the drug dealing houses are. And paternor Roth like in my book, Patana Roth kind of introduces to Sabernando. That's an interesting character. He he's from Texas. Originally he marries he marries Nora, who is a Mexican immigrant, and together they basically move from McCallen, Texas to like Laredo, Texas and then Laredo. He is basically charged with running this like motel called the relax In, and the relax In is one of several of these kind of like low nightly rate motels along the avenue. It's a relax in. It's the Pan American Cords, it's the La Loma Mortel and Sotel, and so these are the motels where where a lot of these sex workers used to do their their transactions. And so Pat is basically brought in to like run this, to run this motel. He doesn't know what he's getting into. He thinks he's just kind of running a sort of straight shot, straight shot motel, and before long basically realizes that there's not only a lot of sex workers coming in and out of this sexual motel, but also, you know, a lot of drug dealing going on, a lot of people taking drugs on his property and starts to sort of clean it up and wants to sort of clean up there, to relax in and make it a more so legit business. So he kind of chases away a lot of the drug dealers, a lot of the drug users there, bans them from his property. But he takes a liking to for women, specifically Melissa Ramirez, Claudine Vuerda, Janelle Ortiz, and Shelley. Shelley come too, and these for women are all friends, they're all sex workers. Pat and Noor kind of overlooked that and let them stay at the motel. They basically charm him, and that's how we get an introduction to San Bonnando Avenue and these four women who are friends, and all of them have really bad drug addictions. Most of them are like addicted to heroin, black tar heroin, which is really popular there like in Norrato area, also crack the cane and other drugs. Through Pat's eyes, we basically learn about these four women and about all these things happening on San Bonnando Avenue.
Speaker 2: You introduce one of these four women, Melissa Ramerez, and you also introduce her friend Emily Verella and who stays at the Pan American Courts as you mentioned, another one of the hotels similar to the relax In and her mother Christina. So introduce Melissa Ramerez and her family and what happens. August thirty first, twenty and eighteen.
Speaker 3: Melissa Ramerez comes from a suburb of like Laredo, Carrio Bravo. It's it's just outside of Laredo. She's one of three children who are raised by Christina Benavidez, who is a Mexican national living in Texas. And Christina Bnavidas loves her kids raises them as good as she can low income family, but starting around middle school or so, Melissa starts to mingle with the wrong crowd. She has episodes of like anxiety and manic depression and starts to dabble into drugs taken xanax and other things like before you know it, she is she's she's basically self medicating because she has all of these anxieties. It turns out later we basically learned later that she was sexually assaulted when she was very little and that could have added to her I'm going to depression and like anxiety. She makes a friend there with basically now Emily is born Amelia Barella. He is she. She actually transitions into a woman later, but when Melissa first meets him, he's Emilio and they and they really become friends. Melio is also struggling with his own gender identity, his own sexuality, and it's actually Melissa who who helps him out and like tells him that it's okay to to feel the feelings that he's feeling, and sooner enough, Meelee becomes Emily and both of them become really good friends. They don't they don't ever finish high school, they basically drop out of high school and they start and they start hanging out together. Fortunately, both of them are are really struggling with really strong grug addictions, so they hit the Avenue, which is what a lot of people are there do. Once they have these really strong drug addictions, they go to San Bernardo. Melissa starts starts starts becoming a sex worker, as does Emily, and together they start hanging out. They stayed with one another at Pan American Courts, at the Pan American Courts motel, which is one of the other motels there on San Bernado, and they're living together when on in September twenty eighteen, September third, twenty eighteenth to be exact, Melissa and Emily get into kind of a disagreement over over rent and over her lack of of sort of contribution towards the motel room. And like Melissa leaves in the middle of the night, and that's the last time Emily sees her alive. Her body years later found later that day in a rural stretch of road outside of Laredo in the northwest corner of Webb County. And that's the beginning of several murders where it starts to pop up around Web County.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to just just before September twenty eighteen. You're right of August thirty first, and Melissa's mother, Christina, happens to meet because Melissa's at her mother's house and involved with her mother and her family despite her prostitution, Christina meets a man that is new to her daughter named David Garza. And you write that Christina at that time felt something was wrong when she met this man.
Speaker 3: Just a couple of days before, like Melissa disappears and ends up, you know, murdered on the side of the road. She actually comes home to her mom's house in Rio Bravo. Her mom lives in a like a trailer, and like Melissa brings home this person that she introduces to her mother just as a friend, David Gottison. He's significantly older than she is, like at the time, Melissa's twenty nine years old. The man is in his fifties or late forties. He comes in, He comes into the trailer, sits down on the couch and doesn't say a word, and Christina Benavitez is unnerved by him. He feels like like something's off. It's like something's off with him, something strange. She finally like makes some sort of introduce himself to her, and she does, but he doesn't say a lot. He just kind of sits on the couch quietly as Melissa, you know, sort of continues to get ready in another room, and when she finally comes out, they basically leave together. She tells her mom not to worry, and they drive off in David's truck. It's all very strange to to like Christina, and it lingers in her mind for quite some time, for like a number of days afterwards, because that's the last time that she would see her daughter alive.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to this crime scene where you say someone discovers this body. What is found that the crime scene that is of particular interest to police.
Speaker 3: So at the crime scene, her her body is is found both first first by a passerby just a someone who happens to be in the area notices Melissa's body like on the side of the road. And then later the person knocks on a knocks on a door. Actually, let me let me back up there. The body is found on the side of the road by a passer. By the passer by alerts one of the neighbors there who calls police. Police is actually police, say that they're on their way. Since it's outside of the Laredo city limits. It's the Web County Sheriff's office, which where chances is the actual call. As they're waiting for the for the sheriff's deputies to show up, another car comes, gets kind of close, pulls up, and then does kind of a three point turn and drives away. Now this actually strikes as strange to the neighbor and the passer by there, and the passer by waiting for deputies there, they kind of sense that that might somehow be kind of related to this incident. So what they do is that they get into the car, they kind of follow the car around, jot down the car's license plate it's a truck actually, and when the deputies show up a couple of minutes later, they basically pass on this information saying, yeah, there's this body which we found on the side of the road that they would later learn belongs to Melissa Amidez. And by the way, there's this car that came up close to the close close to the body and drove off, and that that information is actually related to them, and so as the deputies are at the scene kind of looking at things on the scene, they get this information and this truck's license plate as one of its early leads.
Speaker 2: Now you introduced two central characters to this story of Federico Captain Federico Calderon and Ernesto Salinas. You talk about this person that was their first lead, their first suspect, and it happens to be this police officer. So there is some explaining to do on his behalf before we get to the identity vocation of this body that was found.
Speaker 3: That's right. So Captain card Didon is the head of the Criminal Investigations Division at the Webb County Sheriff's Office. He is he is basically called out to the scene, and Texas Ranger E. J. Selenas is also called out. Texas Rangers are basically involved. Texas Rangers are basically called out to like any high profile rhymes along the border, whether it be murders, kidnaps, things in that nature, and so so it's like fairly common for e. J. Selenas to be called out to something like this. Captain cad Dodon has actually worked in the past with e. J. Selenas, and so they both know each other, they work well together, and they're on the scene of something which which very clearly looks like it's a murder. First of all, the sort of position of the gunshot wounds seem to be all in the head and neck area area, so it looks like a sort of execution style killing. There are forty caliber shells I at the scene too, so it's pretty clear to them early on that this was a murder. And so they had this one, this this one shred of information about this truck that had come and then pulled and then pulled away, and so they and so they tracked down the actual the actual license plate to that vehicle and it turns out that it actually belongs to a Lato police officer. And so they go to the police officer's house. His name is last name, and they they basically go to his house with a show of force. There's several of them, there's a there's a whole team of them that show up thinking that this this might be the actual gunment involved in this. And to his surprise, I'd say, you know, sees that there's this whole swat, this whole swat team of officers showing up to his house. Him and his wife are driven away to a to a substation of the Sheriff's office and interviewed, and I said, basically, basically explains that that that that was him earlier today, and that he had been there with his with his uh stepdaughter and his and his other daughter, and they were what was a Monday morning, happened to be labor day. They were off from from work in school, and they were just driving around looking at like different properties. He never saw the actual body, didn't know that there was a body there, so just turned around and left, and they looked into his story. It checked out, and so that was one of what would become several kinds of dead ends that investigators had. So they still had a body, they still had a murder, and they didn't have any suspects at that point.
Speaker 2: Rick, excuse me, but I've got to tell you about my experience with Magic Mind. I took one magic Mind shot a day for seven days, and I prepared for interviews like usual, reading the book featured and taking extensive notes. But in that week I noticed a definite and dramatic difference. I was much more focused and I had much more mental stamina. It's made with mushroom neotropics and adaptogens, including one hundred percent of your daily required vitamin C and D. After that first week, it just made sense to add Magic Mind to my daily routine. You have a limited offer you can use now that gets you up to forty eight percent off your first subscription or twenty percent off one time purchases with code killers twenty at checkout. You can claim it all at magicmind dot com slash now. Getting back, this lead turns into the second lead they have to investigate, and that this person named David Garza. So they have a phone number, apparently they have some contact. What do they do in regards of investigating David Garza.
Speaker 3: Yes, so after they basically tell Christina Benavidez, after they basically revealed her that her daughter has has been murdered and that was a terrible moment. By the way, she actually told me about that moment again when like detectives show up to her trailer and tell her that and like Melissa Amidis again, I understand Melissa Admittaz was her life. She understood that she had dabbled into sex work and that she had this really sort of debilitating drug addiction. But she never gave up on her and always was working hard to get her off the streets and to and to help her out. And so when when she's told that she was brutally murdered, it just it just completely turned her world completely upside down. But so she's so she's taken back to the substation and like interviewed, and the first thing which she thinks of when investigators are asking her about her daughter is this man who had showed up to her trailer just a couple of days before, who had acted strange and I didn't say a lot, so he and so she happened to have his phone number because that's how she was communicating with her daughter was through this man. And so she passes along this information, this person's name and his phone number, and so David Goddessa becomes investigator's second lead suspect.
Speaker 2: So what happens as a result is he cleared? And how do they proceed with David Garza?
Speaker 3: So after getting Goddess's information, they they call him up, they get his address, and then they like pay him a visit and they go out to his house talk about and they talk it through with him. He actually admits, yes, that he knew Melissa Amde. He claims that they were only friends, that he wasn't a client, but that he did know her, and that he was with her and like around a couple of days before her murder, and that in fact, like the day of her murder, that Monday, September third, he was out of town. He's a truck driver and like he was out of town and basically on a job elsewhere. So they look into it. They check GPS quordinates both of his phone, something on his truck, and then it all checks out. His story checks out, and so he's actually clear as a sort of potential suspect also, so they're back to square one.
Speaker 2: Before we talk about that, Selenis goes back to the relax in to talk to Pat about things going on at the relax in. But one thing that we hadn't mentioned is that at that scene there was found forty caliber bullets. But they were especially interesting in it. They were jacketed hollow point bullets. Now, what was the these type of bullets typical of in law enforcement?
Speaker 3: That's right, they basically found several forty caliber cells. They're at the scene of the crime, and they weren't only jacketed hollow point jacketed cells, but they were of this brand called Federal and Federal brand bullets are widely known by These Federal bullets are widely used by law enforcement agencies, and the reason why they're mostly used by law enforcement agencies is because they're more expensive than other brands, and so it's like typical for law enforcement agencies, whether it's federal law enforcement agencies such as Border Patrol or FBI, or local law enforcement agencies to use these Federal brand bullets. God that own the serf's office investigator knows this, recognize that as federal law enforcement recognizes this Federal brand as something used by law enforcement agencies, so that so that also becomes a lead. And they realized that they may be were they may be looking for somebody who is in law enforcement.
Speaker 2: You talk that Selenis goes and talks to pat at the relax in and they talked to a bunch of Melissa's acquaintances and friends, and then Selenas decides to call the South Texas Southern Texas Border Intelligence Center or acronym b C, and there was a person named Juan David Ortiz, a US Border Patrol supervisory agent, and you write a rising star at the agency. He was also there for that phone call, straining to overhear the details of that phone call.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So this big is Border Intelligence Center. This is something which is housed basically at the US Border Patrol Laredo Sector headquarters, which is right in downtown Laredo, and it's on the second story of the offices there, and it's this shared office space with the intention that you basically you basically place representatives of all the different agencies there, the Webb County Sheriff's Office, Laredo Police Department, Border Patrol, FBI. You get them all in one area so that they're able to share all information leading cases along the border. And they commonly share different different information about different cases along the border, whether it's sort of pursuing cartel cartel officials, or it's drug running or kidnappings or murders, and so in this in this Border information center, there is this supervisory agent named Juan David Ortiz. He's kind of a rising star like at the agency. He had he had been there a number of years and his he works in a supervisory role and so he has other border patrol agents under him. So when Selena's makes the call, one of the people who who are there is one David Ortiz, and he has an interest in basically overhearing what is happening with that case.
Speaker 2: You take us to part two and Eric Aguilar and he gets a text message from his navy pow, this David Ortiz, but he calls them his nickname is Doc. He is alarmed because it seems like there's some signs of substance abuse from his friend. And he had apparently Ortes had confessed to Aguilar that the death and misery witnessed each day on the border was gnawing at him and stressing him completely. So they both served in Iraq together and Aguilar urges Ortes to get professional help. Then you take us to the background of this David Ortes and how he was raised.
Speaker 3: In his background, Yeah, so Juan David Ortiz, who was thirty five at the time of the murders, he's he is from South Texas. He was actually born and raised in Brownville, Texas, which is the southernmost city in Texas running a border with Mexico. There. He comes from comes from sort of Mexican ancestry. He's second and third generation Mexican American. He's raised in Brownsville by a single mom with three sisters. He's raised very sort of devout Christian. His family is is some like evangelical Pentecostal, so very so very devout Christian. And high school he's he's very active on the swim team, but he also leads the the high school Bible study group. And you know, talk to friends who basically knew him grewing, who basically knew him growing up, and they all they all basically they all basically describe him as his really straight laced student. Where some of the other students wanted to go party and maybe cross over the bridge into like Matamotos, Mexico and had some drinks. David Ortiz always basically declined that and like they didn't want to go and and dead like organized Bible study groups like his house. So he too, friends around him was this very sort of devout guy, good student. Heaverally involved in school. But you know, it turns out we basically learned later he he he tells therapists and counselors years years later that there was trouble at home also that his mom told him when he was around middle school or high school age that his father had actually committed suicide, and that during his time in home that his mom was possibly abused by like boyfriends. And so it was it was somewhat turbulent home scene. And so in two thousand and one, David Ortiz joins the actual military. He joins the Navy. He's only eighteen years old, So this happens right after high school, and it happens two months before the actual attacks on ninety eleven, yes, and so he is attached to like a Marines unit and is deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom in two thousand and three, where he is he basically works as a as a as a Navy corman, which is like a medic, and so he is on the front lines watching a lot of the stuff which basically went down. There has some gruesome scenes which which he's witnessed to, including a couple of Iraqi men who were caught in an explosion and basically burned alive. He was there to try to treat them. He definitely sees some stuff. He basically kind of experiences things, but then comes back to the US and in two thousand and nine joins Border Patrol. It's a very natural step from him coming from Texas, coming from the actual border, and he has a sort of glowing military resume at that point, So he could have went a number of different places, could have gotten a job at a sheriff's office also, but he basically chooses to go to Border Patrol based first in Catula, Texas, and then later is moved to Laredo in twenty seventeen. And all the early signs say that he was a really competent worker. People who actually knew him then said he was really focused on his work and was kind of a rising star. And he's transferred over to the Joint Intelligence Center right around the same time, around twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: You talk about that in twenty seventeen, he was assigned to the Border Patrol's Target Enforcement Unit, But tell us what these specially trained agents focused on and as a result got to witness and experience.
Speaker 3: That actually seems to be a seminal turning point for him. He gets attached to the targeted he gets attached to the Target Enforcement Unit, which basically is like it's like a task force, which is focused on breaking up cartel rings in the area, on raiding drug houses, rating our prostitution rings, and so he is attached to this unit. It does really well with it and is and is basically promoted as it's supervisor. So he basically is leading this this target enforcement unit and is given a lot of leeway to basically go through Laredo's most most crime ridden areas, so like to try to do raids and get and get intel on different people. And this gives him his his first his first introduction, his first insight to this underbelly of Solaredo. So he starts to learn about where all the sex workers work. He becomes really intimate with some Bernando Avenue, which is like the main drag where a lot of this activity has actually taken place, and so he is really learning about where about where all the drug houses are, where like where all the sex workers work, and basically becomes really really familiar with all of this activity through this unit.
Speaker 2: You describe the budget of the patrol border patrol and also the importance but also just the nature of how many employees and the expansion after two thousand and one and nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so after the attacks on ninety eleven, Border Patrol goes through this huge hiring surge. They're basically tasked with the newly formed only Insecurity to bring in as many as twenty thousand agents to the agency, and so they go on a really aggressive hiring searche and try to fill its ranks beginning in about two in about two thousand and two all the way through about twenty ten or so, so for about about eight years or so, they're trying to bring in as many people as possible, and so one divid Ortis is actually hired during the tail end of this. Some of the immigrant advocates who work along the border are basically complaining that like, in the rush to bring in as many border agents as like possible, that the agency tended to basically overlook a lot of the faults that some of these agents had, that they weren't as careful in betting them. That it was just like hire them as quickly as possible just to actually fill the ranks. For instance, they basically they basically point out that none of the agents were given light detector tests going in, and that's something which is actually installed later. There wasn't any of that happening. There was just a big rush to hire a lot of agents, and in that sweep, Juan David Ortiz is basically hired.
Speaker 2: You talk about David Orchies at twenty eighteen is experiencing some mental issues and is seeing a therapist.
Speaker 3: So, starting around in January or February of twenty eighteen is when friends and colleagues and family members really like start to notice that David Ortiz is like experiencing this kind of mental decline. He is complaining to a therapist that he's having headaches, he's having nightmares, he's feeling very paranoid.
Speaker 2: To.
Speaker 3: The point that he's getting up in the middle of the night and checking and re re checking all of the doors of his home. At this point in twenty eighteen, he's living in sort of north in northeast Laredo with his wife, Daniella, and their three children, and so he's waking up in the middle of night paranoid looking for like checking all of these doors. He on the advice of a friend, he goes and visits the local BA office there and the BA basically connects them with a therapist, and a therapist starts to prescribe a cocktail of all these psychotropic medication to them to try to ease his PTSD ethics nightmares. But you know, friends actually see him taking some of these pills but also taking them like at the same time that he's also drinking copious amounts of beer and alcohol, so he's mixing a lot of these medications with alcohol. He's basically complaining of having blackouts of like driving trying to trying trying to drive drive home from a night out and ending up like in a parking lot and waking up and not and not exactly knowing where where he is. Coworkers also noticed sort of erratic behavior. They tell like investigators later that they notice him that that that he's bragging about knowing where some of the sex workers are and that he is, and that he brags to at least one colleague that like he's picking up women on the side when his wife is out of town.
Speaker 2: But Jesus has an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now at the same time that this David Ortiz is everyone knows that he's experiencing some some problems, but he's still not His job as a order patrol supervisory agent is not affected whatsoever. And you introduce two characters. You introduce this Edgar Reels, which is friends with Erica Pina, and you talk about that he knows what she does and is a boyfriend pimp slash, I'm not sure, but they do. You write about them talking and meeting this new client which is offering to pay her far more money than her typical clients.
Speaker 3: Erica Kenya is one of the sex workers that work along something on the avenue. She's actually friends with like Malis's other medias. She's friends, we're clotting well ant and some of these other women excuse me, knows them well, so she she is kind of a known entity around there, like in those parts, and it's not uncommon, you know. I actually spoke with some of the sex workers who work out there later told me that, like it's not uncommon for them to have dates and to have clients who are border patrol agents or sheriff's deputies, right, police officers. Law enforcement is just is just like part of the game down there. Because there's so many of them along the border, that is just natural that some of them deviate into these practices. And so Eric Capanna tells Edgar Rios Edgar is her boyfriend, but also just a sort of confidant and somebody she's like really close to. And Edgar basically knows Erica Panna's job, he knows like what she does for a living, basically accepts it. So Ericapanna tells Edgarrios that she met this client who is like rat he's a border patrol agent. He is. He pays really well and like he's really nice to her. It's almost like an it's almost like an ideal client. He's married with kids, which all makes him an ideal client because then there's there's there's no chance of getting attached because everybody knows that he's married. So and this client is David Ortiz and so, and so she starts to see him kind of regularly and sort of repeatedly, and so they have sort of rendezvous in his truck. He even brings her back to his place a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Also, you take us to September third, two thousand and eighteen, and you say that Erica considered Melissa a friend. Let's talk about Melissa and where she's at on September third, twenty and eighteen with her drug addiction and where she is staying and her just a predicament. At that time, Melissa.
Speaker 3: Themid Is is in a very bad place. She is she is overcome by her drug addiction. She is running out of money for her clients are not that are not that steady. So she's staying with Emily Eda, who is her friend, and they're like staying at the American courts. They get into a big fight over like money. Emily kicks her out and says, you know, you gotta you basically have to sort of contribute if if you want to continue staying here. And even more than that, Emily was recently arrested on drugs and prostitution charges and is trying to try to clean up. Actually he's trying to like stay sober. She has to meet with a with a sort of probation officer and doesn't want any drugs like in her in her living space, and like Melissa Ramirez violates that and ends up smoking some some crack rocks, like in their apartment, in their hotel suite, and so for all of these reasons, Emily kicks her out. They have a big falling out, and so, like Melissa is walking down the street in San Bernardo trying to figure out what to do trying to even figure out where to stay. So she didn't even have a place to like stay at that point. And so as she's walking down the street of Hong Kong's David Ortiz, he pulls over, asks if she wants to ride, and she gets in the truck with him.
Speaker 2: You write about this interesting phenomena. While he is dealing with Melissa, he also sees Erica walk into a drug house. Can you explain?
Speaker 3: So the first thing that sort of Melissa wants to do when she gets picked up is obviously and this is something which is very calm, and she basically asks, she asked David Ortiz if he's willing to take her to a drug house, like help her buy some some drugs. He complies and says yes, and so they basically drive over to a sort of known drug house there in central Laredo. As like Melissa's walking in, Erica Penna, who is there to pick up her own supplies like walking out and notices that Melissa is with is with David Ortiz, And there's a minute there that like everybody sees each other and knows what's what's actually going on, and then everybody goes there like separate ways. Melissa comes back, gets back in the actual truck with David Ortiz and they drive off.
Speaker 2: You introduce another character again essential to this story, Claudine Luerra tell us a little bit about her background.
Speaker 3: Claudine Luera is one of the older people who are populating Sambernando Avenue. She comes from a middle class family there in Laredo. She has several sisters. She also has several children. At like forty two years old, she is one of the older women who are working as sex workers there. But she has this really interesting background where she's she starts off, you know, like really good in school and is doing and is doing good in school again, she basically mixes up with some of the wrong people. One of her boyfriends, which which she apparently falls in love with, basically basically introduces her to Heroin, gets her, gets her really hooked. She has children, not through him, but through other men. She has two sets of twins, and some of those children are are like autistic, some worse than others. So she has a really challenging single motherhood where she's trying to she's trying to raise all of these children. Person who has who had initially introduced her to Rugg is like in and out of prison and is mostly out of the picture. Her oldest daughter, Sierra, is like trying to help as much as possible, but she's also trying to just go to school and just be a kid, and there's all this sort of commotion happening. Claudine, unfortunately is on and off drugs and she can't seem to shake it. Eventually loses her children. County workers come and basically remove the children from her because she's she's she's showing all of these obvious signs of drug use, and so once once the children are actually taken away from her, that's when she really starts a spiral and starts to get more and more heavily into drugs. The whole time her family is like trying to get her off the streets, is like trying to have her clean up. It's just really hard. Once the once once like Heroin, takes a hold of her, doesn't it doesn't really let go easily, and so Claudie becomes one of the people alongside Bernando, who is just trying to survive, just trying to get enough to ease her drug addiction.
Speaker 2: You write that in September of twenty eighteen, that Claudine hears of Melissa's death and yet still working the San Bernardo strip.
Speaker 3: Claudine is, you know, it's basically in and out a lot of these these actual motels. I basically spoke with a motel owner who runs one of the motels there, who basically remember Claudine well. She said Claudine was like, was really nice and was different from some of the other women. She was older, appeared to be more more like educated, had a old, old soul sense of self about her, was really or retrospective or really kind of introspective in like a lot of ways. And she and she basically remembers Claudine coming in shortly after like Melissa's murder and being being really struck by it. Her and her and her like Melissa, were really close. Claudine came to came to field. She was kind of like the older sister to like Melissa and some of the other younger, younger girls in the avenue. And so when Melissa's body turns up, Plaudine is like really shaken. She can't believe that she's been killed, but at the same time, she doesn't she doesn't leave the streets. This motel owner basically warrants or urges her to like stay off the street, and Claudine tells her that she'll be fine, that she knows how to look after herself.
Speaker 2: That Jesus as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Let's fast forward somewhat to September twelfth, and David Ortiz is heading to his favorite Samberonardo strip and he picks up Claudine and like usual, drives her to score some heroin. And as they drive, Claudine decides to bring up Melissa's murder. Tell us about this very vivid dialogue and scene in this book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was one of the most surprising twists in the book, where that or in this overall story and that David Ortiz picks up Claudine just like he had picked up Melissa before, just like he had picked up Erica before. And he picks her up and he's driving her around, drives her to score some black tark heroin, and then Claudine, let's just just basically out of nowhere, basically suggests that she would like to go see the the actual scene where Melissa Ray Mirrors was murdered. And David Ortiz cannot believe what he's here, and he kind of turns her and said, and it's like what he goes, yeah, I really would would like to see where where they found actual Melissa's body. And so they start driving out there, and so David Ortiz tells her, yeah, I think I know where it is, and so he and so he like starts driving her out there, and halfway out there, it just dawns on, like Claudine, that she is being driven around by the actual murderer, and it just hits her and she's touching it's you. It's you. You're the one, You're the killer and our first David Ortiz tells her, you know, to just shut up, that she doesn't know what like what she's talking about, but like Claudine is, it is really insistent as almost as as she has this sort of realization hit her. And so David Ortiz ends up driving her not to the exact spot, but somewhere nearby those are two like and stops the car like on the side of the road, tells Claudine to get out of the car. Claudine walks a couple of steps. David Ortiz picks out his handgun and shoots her several times.
Speaker 2: Now you take us to September thirteenth, and the truck driver notices the person lying on the road. The woman is still breathing incredibly and he calls nine one one and troopers arrive.
Speaker 3: Laudine is the only victim of these four victims who who was actually still alive, and so they and so she and so she was shot several times, like in the head area, but manages to survive. And so the Fuick driver passes by, sees her, calls nine one one, and ambulance shows up, picks her up, and takes her to the hospital. She's not she's not really coherent. She's she's she's like not seeing anything like makes any sense. But she is struggling, like to the point that they almost have to strap her down because she's like thrashing her hands around and like telling them to like let her go. So they finally calm her down. They get to the hospital, but unfortunately, she passes away shortly after getting to the hospital. And initially some of the some of the investigators think that it might be what they call it an autopad, which is an auto pedestrian, which is when a car just just like hits a actual pedestrian. But the actual doctor at the hospital tells some of the deputies there that they found bullet holes like in her head, that it's not an autopad, it's actually a shooting.
Speaker 2: So now how do Calderan and Salinas proceed. They realize that this He gets a call, and so there's a connection between these bodies and the way they're killed, then the shell casings that are left, and so how do they proceed, and how does David or Keys proceed.
Speaker 3: Then all is called up to the scene. He's basically told First first he's told that it looks like an autopad, and so he doesn't think it's even worth him going out there. But then the same the same like deputy calls them up a couple of minutes later and says, no, actually it's not an autoped it's a shooting. And so now he realizes that that this is serious. So he gets back, He gets back in his truck, rites out to the scene, and he's coming over the scene. The scene is just is pretty close. It's just a couple of miles from more like Melissa's body was found. So he's coming over the scene. The scene is scattered with some of Claudine's sort of beloggings, some of her notebooks her like an idea, and so they're like combing through all of it and they find the actual showcasings. The shellcasings happen to be forty caliber Federal bullets. And so now they've they've made a connection that it's now two murders close close to like one another, I'm using the same caliber shootings. And somebody realizes, like even at the scene, that the second victim is is Claudine Weda, which was a person of interest that they were looking for to talk to about Melissa's murder because they because they were told that they were friends. So now you have two murder scenes close close to one another, using the same caliber bullets, both of them sex workers who actually knew each other. So at Don's on Carderon and E. J. Salinas that this is no longer just just random acts of violence, that they have a serial pillar on their hands.
Speaker 2: Now let's go to Trooper Hernat and what happens is that Erica Penna speaks to him, and he listens intently and then gives a call to Calderan so let's fast forward. They bring her in, they get information from her. What is the information they get from her? And what do they have her do in cooperation with law enforcement?
Speaker 3: So, Erica Panna had just escaped from David Ortiz's clutches after he drew a gun on her. So she basically escapes, runs to a gas station where a Texas trooper happens to be pumping gas. Trooper Hernandez. They so she Nandas takes her to a substation where she's interviewed by Gaddern and E. J. Sealinas. And so, through the course of this interview Edica Pania's information is a little spotty, Like she she basically knows that this this this this sort of repeat client of hers, David Ortiz, knows that he's a Border Patrol agent, but yet tells tells investigators that that like he may be an oil worker and doesn't really remember his full name only like David, but she does know one one very important piece of information and that's where he lives, and so and so like, investigators basically come up with a plan to put her to put her in a vehicle and have two other vehicles trail her and She's going to take him to the neighborhood and point out his house, which is like what they do. They basically drive through these different neighborhoods until they get close. Ericapaangnat points out exactly where David O'tiz's house is, and so using that using his his address, got their own, and like and like Selena's, are able to access databases and get the name of what is now their their prime suspect, Juan David Ortiz.
Speaker 2: At some point to David Ortiz in this crime spree, this murder spree, is aware that police are after him, and again his old paranoia revisits him. But at the same time that he's being paranoid about being caught, he's hatching a plan to maybe end it all through suicide or he has another plan and it involves again San Bernardo Avenue.
Speaker 3: After Erica Penna leaves this truck space on his clutches runs away, David Ortiz is like left in his truck looking at her basically run away, and like it basically dawns on him that that she is obviously going to go to the actual police now. She is going to tell him everything, and that they're going to after him. So he goes back to his house. He takes out every every weapon he has in the house, which which which included a nine millimeter handgun, his his forty caliber weapon. Starts to put all this this this sort of weaponry out on his kitchen island and sits back and basically waits, waits on police like knock on his door, and his his like overall thinking is that one state, one state, try to come in. He's he's just going to open fire and basically shoot it out with him and die by die by suicide. He basically knew that, you know, he's not going to have a chance to out out shoot all these people. He just he just he just wanted to go out and I'm in a blaze of gunfire basically. So he goes back to his house. He waits, he waits, he waits. Nobody shows up immediately, so he gets tired of waiting. He gets back in his car and says, screw it, Like, if they're not coming for me, I'm just going to go back to Sanbernando. And at this point, his thinking is not picking up women for sexual favors or anything like that. At this point, he's just thinking that he wants to quote unquote clean up the streets. This is what he what he actually tells investigators later, and he's going back to San Bernando with this with a singular thought of picking up sex workers, driving them out, and killing them.
Speaker 2: You introduce another character that's essential to this story, and the victim, Shelley Cant, and you talk about cleaning up the streets. This woman has a particular problem, which is a flesh eating disease, and the accompanying smell tell us about what happens when she encounters David Ortiz.
Speaker 3: So it just so happens that as he's driving around, he runs into Chilly can Too, which is another sex worker who works there on the avenue who also knew who also knew like Melissa, who was good, who was pretty good friends with Claudine Lutta. But she's out because she's like trying to make money also, and so David Ortiz pulls over and she gets in. She gets in his truck, and Chllie Canto, out of all the sex workers out there, had had one of the more debilitating things happening to her, where she shot her legs up so many times that it basically created scars up and down her leg basically began to rot the actual flesh there, So her legs were really infected and really in a really bad shape, to the point that it was like you could smell it very obviously had a very pungent, very strong smell. So when David Ortiz picks her up, the first thing he actually notices is like the is it's like the smell of Chilli's legs, legs. But he keeps driving her out and a driver out to a point under our bridge. And this is where this one was a little different, So he is still he's still intent on on cleaning up the actual streets. He still has this uh suit, these sort of suicidal thoughts. But he drives Chilli under one of the overpasses right off of thirty five, and according to what he told investigators later was that he basically told Chilli. He confesses to Chelli that he's the one killing these sex workers. He draws his gun but tells her, why don't you start walking like that way san Antonio. That way is back to Laredo, or just basically walk, And he tells investigators later that he he wanted to let her go so that he could tell people that he's the one doing it. Shelley, though, starts to walk away and turns back around and urges him not like not to do it, urges him not to commit suicide, tells him that God loves him and that somebody loves him for some reason. This strikes her tease like the wrong way and tells her again just walk away. Chilleye doesn't, and so David Ortiz ends up shooting her several times also and kills her there under the overpass.
Speaker 2: Let's choose this as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now, another character that's friends of Chelly and Melissa Janelle, and she's a transgendered woman, and you right that she's stunned by the news of Melissa and then the news of Claudine. But she still is out on the street and she's just friends of telling her to be careful.
Speaker 3: Janelle ortis actually one of the more sort of interesting people in this story. She's a transgender woman transitioned around high school and transitioning down in high school don Laredo is not an easy task. She I talked to friends and family members of her who said it was very hard for her to basically to basically transition. She was a target of a lot of ridicule, a lot of sort of bullying over it, but she managed to transition and unfortunately got into drugs also. She had a pretty heavy heroin addiction. So when she so when she struggled to make money, she basically did what a lot of people there did, and that's to go to sam Bernado and work as a sex worker. Her family continually trying to get her off the streets. Her sister Rose was very close to her, and her father and brothers constantly trying to get her off the streets. But she was pretty entrenched there and some Beernando and a really well known figure there. People actually knew her well. She was very well liked. She was this sort of boisterous presence there. But on September fifteenth, after after David Ortiz kills kills Chelie Can too, he goes back to San Bernando. He had he had plans of like possibly just killing himself around that time, but instead drives alongside Bernando, picks up Janelle and drives her to a place right off of thirty five.
Speaker 2: And he proceeds to kill her as well.
Speaker 3: Pace thirty five asks, tells her to walk a little further, and then shoots her also and kills her.
Speaker 2: Did we go into what she actually says to him and confronts or teas about out.
Speaker 3: So about halfway there, she also realizes that he is the actual murderer. And it's this realization that just dawns on her and she basically dares her, I'm sorry. She basically dares him. She basically says, you know, if you're gonna do it, do it. Stop messing around, stop stalling. And so he pulls over and gets her out of the truck and then shoots her, kills her.
Speaker 2: You take us to the DPS Trooper John Henry Bradshaw. By now, they're looking for a white Dodge truck. They have the license plate number and the photo of his driver's license, so they're looking. They're hunting for David Ortiz thanks to Eric Apana's information. And so while he's looking for him, where is David Orties and where does he end up being surrounded by law enforcement? Tell us about what happens.
Speaker 3: So at this point there's apb out on David Ortiz and his white truck. They got his license plate, which means all Texas troopers, all state troopers like in that region know that they're basically looking out for this white truck, as as well as sheriff's sheriff's deputies and all these people. There's a trooper named John Henry Bradshaw. He is in the region and he's like cruising up and down. He's cruising along San Bernando Avenue when he spots David Ortiz pulling into a Stripes gas station and so he kind of curls around. He pulls into the parking lot, confirmed that that's his truck through the license plate. Shortly thereafter, a second trooper shows up. They basically confront David Ort's asked as he's as he's coming out of the Stripes. They basically tell him to stop right there, put his hands up. David Ortiz stalls. He said, I don't know what you're talking about. You're you're freaking me out, and a second later he just dashes off. He just he just runs away. He runs across the street, He runs away from the from the Stripes. He runs southbound right along the highway there, makes it right and then turns up the ramp into the parking lot of the AVA hotel that's actually located nearby. Meanwhile, both of these troopers were running after him, but but they lose sight of him, and so what ensues later is that they caught out the Webcounty Swat Team Luido Police. So there's a whole big police presence that basically block off is like two or three block radios, and they're gone a lot by lot looking for David Ortis.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right, it's very exciting, and that they're they're very afraid that with his training, his markmanship, he won the awards in the military, and that they missed in searching his truck and missed the forty caliber gun with those jacketed hollow point bullets. So they were very very concerned about finding him and not having an encounter, deadly encounter with him. Needless to say, he was arrested and then brought in for questioning. And again Captain Calderan and Selinas are in the room, and you write that Captain Calderan has been very effective in his career in about one hundred times getting confessions, so he has a strateg and he wants to get a confession from this David Ortiz.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it basically comes down to this room inside the sub this substation, this Sheriff's office sub station, and in this room, it's only one David Ortiz sitting at the table and he's's actually handcuffed. Captain godd Own is there, and E. J. Selina is the EXAs ranger and they're going over all of these murders. And at that point, like like they only know about three murders, Melissa Laudine and Shelley kN too. They haven't found they haven't found Janelle's body yet, so they're they're basically asking him about these three murders, and like, at first, Ortiz basically claims not to know any of these women. It says that he that he has no idea what they're what they're talking about. But but slowly, over the course of several hours interviewing him, Godanon just like tries to keep them talking, keep them talking. And there's a very pivotal moment in this in this interview where like where like Ritiz is looking down and he asked to have his handcuffs removed, and there's a there's a real small moment in this in this interview, like right after he says that that cardon looks at Selena's Godon doesn't have his weapon on him, so he's basically risking that if he takes the handcuffs off Ortiz, that like Ortiz could lunge at him or try to get Selena's his weapon. So he gives he gives like Selena's a quick look and then takes out the keys and takes off his handcuffs. Ortiz kind of rubs his wrists and then proceeds to like say, yes, I actually knew, actually knew Melissa Amides, I knew Ladinata, and and he like starts to detail how he murdered them in very very vivid detail. He basically describes picking up and shooting Melissa, he describes picking up and shooting Claudine, and he also he also describes picking up and shooting Shelley. But what really surprising investigators that after he says all of this, he says, and by the way, there's a fourth victim which you don't know about, and tells them about Janelle. And that's when deputy is in a separate room. They all jump up out of their chairs and scramble scramble to their trucks and go out to basically recover Janelle's body.
Speaker 2: Very interesting. You write about the trial at the end of this book with that confession. It's not a slam dunk, but it really really helped in this particular case. You write about the trial itself and the defense doing a I've seen it before, but a controversial move in that they rest their case after providing no witnesses whatsoever. Tell us about the result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a little surprising. I think everybody was actually expecting defense to bring in some witnesses, even if it's a character witness, but the defense basically rests shortly after the prosecution does. Prosecution mounted a very convincing case. They had a nine hour videotaped interview where where like Rotiz talks about all the murders and how he did it and then basically alerts them to the fourth one. They had forensic evidence with the with the shellcasings that every one of the scenes matching his his agency issued weapon. And so when the jury deliberates, they basically only only really deliberate for about five hours. They come back and he's found guilty of capital murder. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She read about the district Attorney Atlantis and how dedicated and determined he is to get a conviction for David Ortiz, and he's applauded for that, and you write that right after this, it seemed that this da, this prosecutor still had his hands full with another case very very similar, again perpetrated by another patrol Border Patrol agent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as soon as he finishes with this, with this case, district Attorney on Ease had to basically pivot because there was another border patory agent, Anthony boudegeuz Abules, who was in the same sector as David Ortiz, the dashual Arado sector, who a couple of months earlier was basically arresting, was basically arrested for murdering his girlfriend in there and their one year old son, Alanies had to they basically celebrated briefly the conviction of Juan David Ortiz and then had to head back to like Laredo and starting this new case of this other order peratory agent who was also arrested for murders.
Speaker 2: You read about in the trial, but also because you spoke to these people and of course you did a job of introducing these people and further humanizing them for us, and the reaction by family members at the trial, all the four victims, Melissa Chelli, Janelle and Claudia Our Claudine, pardon me. I want to thank you so much for this interview and coming on and talking about The Devil behind the Badge, The Horrifying Twelve Days of the Border Patrol serial Killer. I want to thank you very much for people that might want to take a look. Do you have a website or do you any social media and.
Speaker 3: Do you have a website, Rick Jervis coms where they could get information there and all of my social media sites also have links in the book.
Speaker 2: It's been a fascinating interview and congratulations on this brilliant book, The Devil Behind the Badge, The Horrifying Twelve Days of the Border Patrol serial Killer. Thank you so much for this interview, Rick Jervis, and you have a great evening and good night.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you,