Speaker 1: For Marcus, Wimbledon twenty twenty five is over, and we said before and during the championships we're going to be speaking as much as we possibly can, hopefully bringing a daily podcast. And Marcus, I'm kind of gutted for you, right, you feel like, how do you feel?
Speaker 2: It's all right? Obviously I've had three matches and sixty ours something like that from the first round. I've then gone back to back and then it was first time for Mixed yesterday, so I haven't really processed too much. But you know, obviously disappointed. You know, the second round doubles, we were right in there and you know, had some chances, particularly in the first set. But again, really happy with my performance. Thought I played really really well. A couple of points in the second may be a bit loose, but these guys are good, they play together all the time. Obviously the two slams out the last four. So yeah, positive, but didn't really feel that after Obviously you replay the points that you know you could have done better, I suppose. And then and then Mixed yesterday, we're doing all right. Rain Delay, rain Delay, tim Hemmon special against Goam. They came out and played a lot better than we did basically, but I was struggling a little bit within the legs actually to get going. Yeah, but that wasn't the reason we lost. Let's be honest here.
Speaker 1: I mean, you had two really tough draws, didn't you. Let's first look at that the men's match after a great first round win. It's a bit it's a nightmare draw, isn't it? To play those two?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's not not ideal. Yeah, of course. I mean there's not any draw that's particularly lovely, but there are better draws than others. And you know, so far when in the main drawer, I've had some interesting second rounds, you know. Yeah, twenty sixteen hairbearer, who's twenty seventeen. We managed to win that one. But last year we played you know, the finalist first round. It's been difficult. Yeah, but yeah, I can't. I can't complain too much.
Speaker 1: Do you become a better player having played that match and not got the result? Have you kind of learned from that? Not?
Speaker 2: Not yet. That's where that's where I'll look back at some of the stats that I've been sent and then work on with a coach some particular things maybe positioning, footworking and how to get to certain places, and you know, I know what I've got to improve. I mean, myself's pretty good, but I cannot it can always be better. I volleyed well this Championships, but returns I can do more, for sure, and just just positioning stuff and sort of the way I'm moving. So where where my balances were? You know, you look at Pat and Helievara there you hit a ball an inch over the net, down the middle and it's gone somehow, whereas I'm still you know, playing singles volleys. I think a lot of the time I've got better at it, but it's something I have to work on with the coach. And without that, I'm kind of stumped because I've I've I've known that for a while. There's certain things I should be doing better. There's balls going past me where I'm going. Actually I should I should have that one, but not knowing why that is the difficult reason. You know, you can overthink it with you know, sometimes I'm thinking doing too big of a split step, or you know I'm too low or I'm too high. But you can't think about your body position while you're playing a tennis match, because then you forget it. At the shot. Well I do anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, And obviously you're doing all of these these commands in under a second, aren't you. Then going back to what you said there, the margin is so fine, isn't it like watching watching your second round? That the pattern makes a volley and it's skimming the top of the net, it's touching the edge of the lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's they do it well. Just just little things, you know, sometimes you need luck to go your way with six or five, Love thirty up, I've hit a return volley and but he's come in and the guys hit the net tape over his racket. There's little things like that, not huge chances, but things that if you love forty up at six five, you're looking at getting the first set and then cracking on with a second. It's yeah, it's difficult, but sometimes yeah, it's a matter of inches, isn't it? And sometimes it's six inches with these electronic line calling.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you brought it up. I was with Monday and Tuesdawn Center Court, and several times we saw line calls and I started talking to the blow next to me, saying, that's out. I can't believe that and then when they replay on the show, cause the big screen replaced the close call, the ball they're replaying looks nothing like the ball. It's a totally different shape, bounced everything. Yeah, emmiroader Carnos come out in a press conference after they lost to sabal Anka and said that it's a real talk of the locker room. So what's your view?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean before she played that match, after you know we lost that doubles, Like I hit a second serve at Love forty that he missed the return, and you know, it said game to them, and I turned around, it said fault and I thought I got foot faulted. I mean the serve was in the middle of the line. I thought, not even close. And people watching online said, well, why why were they given that point at Love forty. But it wasn't just that one, Like even in the first round, there are five or six in a match that are clear that just aren't picked up. And yeah, I said, before the tournament started, actually what sorry, watching center court and court one, it looks sad without the line judges down the middle. It just a little bit weird, a little bit empty. I personally, as a player liked the line judges with the challenges, you know, because a lot, a lot of these calls wouldn't be challenged with the players if the line judge called them. Yeah, I had had the line judge called my servant, for instance, and he missed the return. He's not challenging that, Yeah, you know, and you get the correct call. But I don't know, it's just it's, yeah, I don't I don't think a lot. I don't think any players are really happy with it, to be honest. Listening around and speaking to people, everyone's sort of a little bit confused about how big these areas are and how many they are. But also they paint the lines on each day. It's not like the courts in the same place every day and you're talking inches, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean definitely. There was a shot you here and you could see the chalk y it's called out. You spoke to the umpire about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's what can you do? Though, It's just a shame that you're playing, you know, the best tournament in the world and they're the problems you're having. But yeah, Emma's not the only one to say. She just, you know, very publicly said it after a match, but we're already having these discussions before.
Speaker 1: What I find strange around Wimbledon is that it is so steeped in tradition, and there's so many things Wimbledon do that where there's extra concern about not break in tradition. Yeah, this seems like a massive change in modernization, which one doesn't really need to happen, but two changes are very fabric of these courts. Yeah, really strange thing that they wanted to change it.
Speaker 2: Speaking to one of the drivers the other day, she just liked seeing them walk around as well. They're very smartly dressed. It look good. Yeah, gives them a job as well. Uh, you know, people are losing a job. I don't know if if the winner needs more prize money, particularly if that's the choice they're going to make, But I don't know. It's it's difficult. It's difficult because in some ways I'm really proud and happy that got to play at Winbed and I played well, and then other ways, once you're out there, you want to win, you want to do what's what's best to you want to get the best tennis out there, and I think that's quite an avoidable thing too to fix and I hope and I think that you know, if players review it, how how they you know, honestly review it. I think it should go back to the to the way it was.
Speaker 1: Well. My close mate of mine, former doubles partner, Dave Ellison is has been a line judge for years and now he's there in a supervisor capacity. So yeah, he still gets stressed up and he just has to sit in with like the camera guys in the trench or center for I'm not sure sure what he's supervising and what he's doing. I've asked for his view of these electronic cause yeah, it's really it's a real shame, isn't it. And the Queens as well. We lost them at Queens as well, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's I mean, it's tough. I'm sure. I'm sure it would have been tested somewhat. I just think there's obviously a problem with something, whether it's the lines moving each day slightly, or or the camera's not being calibrated quite right. I also thought this as well, like the ball's coming from different directions. I'm a lefty, surely that makes a difference on where the ball lands or which direction the ball's moving. If it clips the line on it.
Speaker 1: And I thought about conditions, So they closed the roof on Djokovic ye Tuesday night and the light is completely different. Yeah, but we and we're trusting cameras to bring accuracy. The changing of conditions must change how it records and reads.
Speaker 2: Things I hadn't. I don't know that the science. I'm sure it's very very well.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing, but like, yeah, more than more than it would affect a human, you.
Speaker 2: Know, but they don't make decisions lightly, and I'm guessing they've probably worked out that I had the stats on, maybe there would be more miss calls by humans and they have been by you know, the computers. As a fan watching tennis, I like the challenges, but I also like the visual of the court with the line judges on. But yeah, that's my opinion. I think quite a few share that. I'm sure there'll hear a couple of people that don't, and I'm sure they'll let us know, because yeah, it's good. It's a healthy discussion, isn't it. Just As a player, I like having a line judge and a challenge. It's a bit more of a safety banket, you know. There's there's there's two chances instead of just the computer selling us out. And also you can't really snap at anyone, which is annoy Yeah, because I said to the hellvar hit a second serve? That was I can't remember, there's a good few inches long. And I looked at Helievara and he said to them that was a long way out. And I said, look, what do we do? And he goes, what can we do? What do you want to do about it? I was like, well, it's not ideal. We're playing it. We're playing at Winwood and and all four players are agreeing the balls out and it's called in. But yeah, we will get on with it. But it's just not great, is it.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, it's not great. I can't believe I'm having these discussions. Yeah, I mean, probably right, but it was called in, so we'll crack on.
Speaker 1: I find the whole discussion of officiating in football, tennis or whatever, it's just bizarre that the officials are basically just administrators, right. They're bureaucrats, are there to understand the rule book and then to make sure that the games happened to those rules. And I can't understand why they're even kind of a part of what's going on, like they shouldn't really be part of the narrative of matches or the drama or anything like that. You're right, people watching the lines humans with a challenge system was fine, So there we go. We've got it. You don't need to go to that. If you're talking about scheduling of matches or how late or how early, or television rates and stuff like that, that's totally different. But that is the sport and that's what we should be concentrating on, so we can be thinking about it is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But also if we don't need line judges, why do we need umpass because you know they call the score and someone could watch it electronically, right if I were going down the AI route and the computer route.
Speaker 1: Yeah I thought that. I said that on Tuesday, then they won't be no, because you can't argue with.
Speaker 2: How par do we go with it? We get rid of it everyone. I don't think it's a great look. I don't know. Yeah, it's difficult. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So what are your plans now? Mate?
Speaker 2: I am taking a couple of days off and then I'm heading back to London to hit on the clay because I've got an event a week after next. I don't know which event yet because we're two out of an ATP, so we need the list to drop or I'll be going to San Marino. It will definitely be on clay, so I need to I'll rest for two days. My body is quite sore. Actually, there's been a lot of tennis in a short space of time. But yeah, yeah, so that a guy from America, So I'm playing with him for two and then I don't know after that, I'm going to have to fish around and make some decisions all in the space of a week.
Speaker 1: Your life would be so much Would it be so much better if you had a doubles partner?
Speaker 2: It would, yeah, But I mean it's an awkward ranking everyone around us, an awkward ranking where you know you're on the verge of getting into a TPS and everyone wants to play those. Obviously they're better tournaments. You get more prize money, bigger points, and you just don't really get commitment. There's there's I'm not the only one who's switching partners a lot. I just i feel like I've done it a little bit more this year than you know, maybe other people. But it's a very fickle sport. You know, everyone's out for themselves ironically in doubles, and until you find that the right partner that you can actually say, right, let's give this a good few months with it with a coach and work out who's bolls what. Then you know it's it's just part of it's part of what I have to accept at the moment. If you were no other solution, I can't get too down about it.
Speaker 1: Get to if you were to, I mean, at this stage in your career, with with your experience, if you were to approach you know, one of the lt A national coaches or some elite level there and say, is there a youngster out there was that Is that an option or not? Does that route? Not many exist.
Speaker 2: There's not many youngsters who that young.
Speaker 1: Like a Louis Maxtead someone like that. Like these guys are all of them thinking they're going to be top one hundred singles.
Speaker 2: No, but they might be playing doubles, But I wouldn't be getting in the challenges with them with they're ranking at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: I went to play a futures and picked up twenty five points and were doing nothing for my ranking, sure, And it's the same reason a guy top forty in the world wuldn't play with me. He's in five hundreds already. Why would he drop down to play a one two five challenger or ATP two fifty or it's it's it's difficult. You know, I could play the odd I could drop down for the odd tournament if there's nothing else going on. But you know, with the schedule and with the amount you have to play, it it's pretty pretty fast paced. But you know, it will all work itself out. It has before and it will again. So if I manage what I could manage and keep improving, then then good things will happen. And I've done that well in the last year actually so well.
Speaker 1: You know this this is our last podcast of our run at Windmore in twenty twenty five. For everyone that's listened and the questions we've had in and just thanks so much. I want to say that the bearing with us through the audio. We said that the most important thing that we brought as many podcasts as we could while Marcus was out there competing and personally, Mate, I've loved speaking to regularly and I love seeing you at wind wooden and having big gold cuddles with you. And I can't wait to do more.
Speaker 2: Pods, nor can I. Nor can I. Thanks thanks to everyone that's been listening. And yeah, we'll be back to him with better quality.
Speaker 1: Better quality, and we are. We're making a promise to each other. We're doing this regularly, and we're we're kind of going to move away from how we've done it in the past, asked with interviews and stuff like that. We're going to be talking. We're going to be talking sometimes about tennis, sometimes about lifestyle and things like that and really just two people chatting. But it really works if you're listening, subscribe, share, build the audience and get involved as well.
Speaker 2: Get involved. And yeah, we will be talking about crisps and ice cream too as well. I'm sure at some point the.
Speaker 1: Ice cream special coming up. Yeah, Markers, I've loved it, mate, and speak again, Chat soon, see it, Lady guys Ka