Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, Welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust, and with us today we have Superintendent Chuck McCall you, and also the executive director from Bartlesville Public Schools Foundation, Blair Ellis.
Speaker 2: Hi kids, Good morning Tom. How are you warm enough for you? It's gonna be look at about freezing today. We're excited about that. Goodness sakes.
Speaker 1: Well, I know we've got some big stuff coming along, but we also have another list of great things to talk about with the schools.
Speaker 2: Just fire away, young man. You bet, Thanks, Tom, appreciate that. Yes, Blair is here with me today. We wanted to start off with we're hosting an event the Public School and Public School Foundation. You know, we've been on here Tom for several months talking about social media and cell phone use and the book The Anxious Generation kind of Generated has generated a lot of discussion at our school at all level. We've had on our board agenda now for about seven months in a row, and the result of that. One of the strategies has come out of that is we decided that we needed to try to help and we don't have all the answers. I don't think anybody really does. But what I like about the book The Anxious Generation, there's some research that comes that tells us, you know, there's some challenge just causing some problems. And so we're going to host a forum for parents on Tuesday, January twenty eighth at the High School and the Fine Arts Cinea auditoriums. We from seven to eight. We'll start at seven, we'll be finished at eight. So we're going to be very cognizant of people's times and we're going to the point of it is just to share information with our parents. We want to help. And we have a panel. We put a panel together. I'm going to moderate the discussion. On the panel, it is going to be Judge Russell Becklaw. We're gonna have a local pediatrician, doctor Helen Mumpus, Kristin Flick, who teaches at Central Middle School. She's a longtime elementary teacher and she's going to be there as a parent also as a teacher. But she has a senior, an eighth grader and a third grader. She's really involved with k life and it's pretty passionate about this topic. And then we have a couple of a couple of students. We've got senior Emma Mackey, young lady, and then a young man, a junior, Jackson Miller. They serve on my advisory council. So that's our panel. There is the opportunity we've sent some there's information out on social media people can submit if they want to submit some questions or something they want to hear about. But we're going to give all those folks the ability to share some information and then hopefully get some have some dialogue with our audience. This is this is kind which one to get started. We just want to help and so that's all. We want to work together. We can't do anything in isolation. You know, the school can't have some new policy that's going to fix everything. You know, we make we continue to make adjustments at the school level. But you know, we all just want to work together and prepare our kids, uh for the next step. So it's gonna be Tuesday, January twenty eighth, from seven to eight, and we have tenderly plan on a couple more of these sessions next month at our middle schools, when at Central and one over at Madison. And this meeting in particular is going to come after our we have an enrollment session for incoming freshmen, so a lot of parents are gonna be on campus right before that meeting, and so that's kind of that's why we picked on Tuesday, the twenty eighth, and so really looking forward to the meeting. We're going to help everyone will share and spread the word. It's not just for high school parents, as for anybody that wants to come, We want you to come out. You know, if you don't have a kid in school, that's okay, just to come out and come out in the information. Yeah, it's really good. So blaringything to add to that, I.
Speaker 3: Just say, you know, the value of having those panelists is really they're not experts in the fields of cell phones or technology, but they can all kind of share their perspectives and what they're actually seeing, whether it's in the courtroom or in the pediatrician's office, or at home or in the classroom, what they're seeing. The impact is of unlimited screens and social media.
Speaker 1: When you mentioned Judge Matclaw and I read the story earlier today on our website about this, that's the first thing that crossed my mind. Kids are getting in trouble because they're mimicking things they see on social media. I'm very impressed to see that the judge is going.
Speaker 2: To be there. Yeah, and he comes. He speaks to our schools often, we have him come out, and you know, he's had several Uh, there's a lot of back claws that come through barns with public schools, there's been a lot, and so he's really, you know, here to serve. And it's that's one of the things that bothers me the most about, you know, with the cell phones and videoing, and it's just been it's just part of it is that you know, people wanting to video things or catch somebody doing something or doing something inappropriate and posting it that they can try to generate more likes or attention. And that's just sad. I mean, that's wrong. We should be better than that. And and but there's also some criminal things that can come If you have things that come across that you share that are inappropriate, you know, related to pornography, you can get yourself in a whole lot of trouble for the rest of your life. And so there's that's kind of the extreme of that, you know, but we do want to share. That's the reality. We want people to be uh to be aware. And just as there are some recommendations that come out in the book, and really there's four of them that what the author, doctor Jonathan Height that he recommends. One is kids don't need a smartphone before they're in high school. The second one is they don't need to be on social media before they're sixteen. And the third is school at school, kids really don't need access to their cell phone. And then four is kids needed far more unsupervised play. They need to play, and so that's really important. You know, we've been talking about that a lot too, even at the school level. How we can do more in really teaching our kids and our parents how to play without having to play on a screen.
Speaker 1: Well, that kind of takes care of two issues. One the psychological issue of being addicted to the screens and two actually getting up and moving and perhaps maybe lowering that obesity level a little.
Speaker 2: That's no, that's exactly right. I know that we made some adjustments at the school level, and we'll continue to make adjustments. You know, we used to when we had a if we did have a virtual day for elementary kids, we would say and devices home. Well, we just soopped that this year, you know. And so because it is a fine line, I think for all of us, because it's the reality is it's the world that we live in, and we need to prepare. We need to prepare our kids for the world. And just like us, you know, there's now when you know that's happened since the pandemic. Now if there's a bad weather or there's the ability you know, telehealth, there's ability to if you can't get somewhere, you need to have a leand to learn how to have a virtual meeting and what's proper etiquette for that. You may be doing a job interview, first round of interviews are all handled remotely, and so that's the reality. You know, we need to make sure that we are prepared and kids know how to interact in that world. But but I think as a bigger thing, we also need to help them learn, to help them grow. They need to learn how to live in the world without that. You can't live in the world without your phone and without your social media and learn how to interact with others. That's going to be very very interesting. And what's the next coming up on the twenty Y's Tuesday, January twenty eighth. It's going to be from seven to eight o'clock at the high School and the Fine Arts Center auditorium. No registration is required, People just need to show up. We'll start at seven, we'll be finished at eight, and we at this point, we're planning on having a couple more sessions, one over at Central and one at Madison in February. We're gonna kind of build those around some of the couple of parent nights that they have scheduled, and we'll invite everybody to come. I mean, that's a good opportunity. And know, if you maybe just have elementary age kids and you want to see the middle school that your kid's going to go to, that's just another opportunity to get into the middle school. But really encourage people to come to that. I know that you know, even hear about it at the legislative level. You know some states or the process of banning phones at different levels. Yeah, you know, there's legislators, there's lots of different legislation that has been proposed, and who knows what's going to happen this time of year. They haven't gotten the session yet, but I know there's been give them a couple of weeks exactly it'll happen. But you know, there's some legislators that really are passionate about this topic, and so there could be some legislation that comes across that we are for to do some things, but the reality is, I don't want to do something. I want us to control our own destiny. And the reality is we know this is not good and we want to help. That's really all that we want to do is we want to help our parents, and so that's our goal of the meeting is so we can hopefully work together and work through this challenge, because it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: If you had any questions or even any subtle pushback since the announcement.
Speaker 2: They're going talking about some of the feedback that we've had so far.
Speaker 3: We've had a little bit well, I think all the parents, everybody, it's been really positive. I haven't heard any anything negative. We've already done this survey. You send out the survey and again that's available on our Facebook page and survey parents can take about how their kids are using screens at home. That's of course helpful for our panelists, but they can also submit questions, what are their concerns, And everybody's pretty similar. I mean they have conversations a lot with their kids about how much they're using screens, what they're doing on screens. It's kind of a constant conversation. We just want to give them some resources to better and more effectively have those conversations. Yeah, just a lot of questions and about how best to enforce those limits and what other parents are doing. Which again I know as a parent reading this book, that's really helped me the most is just even just this weekend, having conversations with my kids, I'm kind of in powered. No, I am doing the right thing. You know, you're not entitled to your phone all the time, So keeping that conversation going, I think is going to be really helpful.
Speaker 1: What you're gonna find out is that many of these kids, these age they'll say, oh, I can't live without this, I can't live without that, And then quietly they'll say, thank God, I can get away from it because they felt like they've been kind of held prisoner by it and they don't know how to break for you, you.
Speaker 2: Know, that's right. And two we see it. I see it from adults as well. I mean we have you know, we all see adults that are addicted to their phone and addicted to social media. And you think about it from you know, from a kids perspective, if you know mom or dad or whoever you know, Wait just a minute, howey, I need to check what's on Facebook, or I need to make this comment, or I need to do that. As opposed to you know, being engaged with your kids. I mean, that's just that's the I mean, you go out in the mountain in the world and you see that happening all the time. So I think just a reminder for all of us, just because I think we need to help, we all need to be more present and so uh because some of the things that come with and people are addicted to their phone. It talks about it in the book, you know, is that attention fragmentation. People are so scattered. I think they're used to getting just videos and things that continue to come on in the spreen instead of just kind of pausing let their mind rest, you know. Read think people need to have more of those experiences. And also sleep deprivation. You know, people are so addicted to it's it's a huge thing, and especially for our teenagers. You know, they're not getting to sleep anyway as it is, and so this is something else that can that can negatively impact them. And so anyway, so we just want to keep the conversation going and we just want to help. And so I think it's good for our parents to be with other parents and so that they can have some conversations because you know, many times our kids, you know, all that you hear from them as well, everybody else has this or everyone else is doing this, and so your parents feel that naturally, you feel that pressure. You want to make sure you're providing the best for your kid, and you want to think you're being mean to your kid or whatever. And the reality is, you know, it's okay to say it's okay for us we can band together and say no, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 1: You know, that's that's really good, It really is. Oh right, So watching that is Tuesday the twenty eighth, seven o'clock. Find the Arts Center and it's right there at the high school. Doesn't cost you anything but your time, and you got plenty of that after seven o'clock, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, and well, and we got plenty of room. You know, we see twelve hundred people there, so just come on out. We encourage them to count.
Speaker 3: We're hoping to have some handouts for parents to take with them on just some resources for different like monitoring apps, and again we're not making any recommendations on what to use. We just want to share with parents what we know is out there and available, and they can do their own research and determine what's best for their family.
Speaker 1: I think this is probably the best community project, let alone a school project, that I've seen in many years.
Speaker 2: I think so too. Okay, It's that's the world we live in. We just want to help things. We just want to help things get better. I want to thank you both for being in here and.
Speaker 1: Share with us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks for having us folks.
Speaker 1: You have been watching and listening to our community