Speaker 1: It's nice side with Dan Rays Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, well, guy Manilla used to do a program called calling All Sports. This is not calling all sports. But we are going to talk football. We're gonna talk Patriots, are gonna talk specifically the dismissal today of Patriots head coach Gerard Mayo. I must tell you that I was very disappointed today when I saw that. I know that all of the smart people, the people in the stands are yelling and screaming fire Mayo and all of that, and it's it's really interesting. This guy was given one year of a team that was the shell of what it used to be when it had Brady and Edelman, Edelman and Gronkowski and all of those great players, the mccordy's and all those guys were gone, gone, and he inherited this team that Belichick had had a bad season last year four and thirteen, and they had another bad season, but but they they had a quarterback who took a year to develop, Drake may and they maybe now have two quarterbacks with Joe Milton, and I just I'd like to throw it open. I have some comments which might cause some concerns on my upset. Some of you but let's let's have at it. Okay, Bob Kraft, who's been running this team for a long time. I watched him tonight on Channel five newscast and they u some excerpts. I missed his news conference today at one o'clock and the Craft, to his credit, manned up and basically said that he did not take any joy in getting rid of Gerrod Mayo. So let's first of all, hear from Bob Kraft. We have not heard from Mayo yet. We heard from Mayo after the game yesterday, and it looked to me when I watched the post game on TV thirty eight with Steve, with our pal Steve Burton and Christian Fourier and Scott Zolac, it looked to me as if he knew, he knew that his time was up, and he did not want to engage. And I don't know when we'll hear from Mayo. I'm sure he is going to keep quiet, keep a little profile for at least a few days, but at some point someone will get and probably Steve Burton, who is well connected with of all the sports reporters in town, the most well connected sports reporter I think, and certainly the one with the longest tenure going going back to his to his dad who played for the Patriots, or the great Ron Burton. Anyway, Bob Kraft today, let's hear a little bit from Bob Kraft talking about this, this decision that Craft said he went back and forth on. This is cut thirty three. Bob Kraft today on the firing, the dismissal of Roid Mayo.
Speaker 3: I don't like losing. I don't like losing the way we lost, and just things we're not developing the way we would have liked, and it was time to move on.
Speaker 2: Kind of cold, but that's okay. He Craft, to some extent took responsibility for Jirod Mayo's four and thirteen record, basically say saying in effect that that Craft had put Mayo kind of in a no win situation. Cut number thirty four up.
Speaker 3: It was very hard because the personal relationship I feel for Girod and and the human being he is, and I felt guilty I put him in that position.
Speaker 4: But we're moving on.
Speaker 2: We're moving on. That's what That's what they always say. We're going in a different direction.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He You know, Bob Craft loves to fashion himself, which is true. That first and foremost before owning the team, he was a fan of the team, and he had season tickets in the old Foxborough Stadium, Schaefer Stadium, Sullivan Stadium, with so many different incarnations. And I'm sure that Bob Kraft went to Patriots games at Fenway Park and Harvard Stadium, and bu Field, Dickerson Field, and Alumni Stadium in Boston College. Those are all the different places the Patriots had played over the years. And remember there was one point when Craft had thought about moving the team to Hartford, Connecticut. That was little bit of I think he admitted later on was a bluff, but he emphasized that he's a fan and he somehow wants to get a coach that will get the Patriots back to the playoffs and championships. I'm going to tell you that in the National Football League, which prides itself on parody, you've heard the phrase on any given Sunday. I mean, yesterday, Kansas City was blown out in their game seventeen. Obviously they sat all of their regulars. Kansas City will be I assume playing against Buffalo for the AFC Championship game at some point for the right to go to the super Bowl. But Craft again talking about getting back, it's not that easy, and he should know that it's going to take a while. It'll take it'll take a few years because when a team like the Patriots, which were at the top of their game for twenty years, once all those players aged aged out and coach Belichick went away, they got to retool the entire organization. And any Patriot fan who thinks they're going to be back in the super Bowl in the next couple of years, I think you're dreaming. I think you're dreaming. But this is Bob Kraft cut thirty five are up in the end.
Speaker 4: I'm a fan of this team first, and now I have to go out and find a coach who can guess get us back to the playoffs and hopefully championships.
Speaker 2: Well, it would appear that the odds on favorite is Mike Frabel, who might be a great coach for the Patriots. Patriots Hall of famer, who has coaching experience at Tennessee spent this year, I believe, as a consultant with the Browns and interviewed with the Jets last week. If they're going to make a move Unvaibel, if he's the guy. They need to let him know of their interest. Last SoundBite from Bob Craft on the difficulty of firing Girod Mayo. Again, I suspect that there was a personal relationship. I'm sure you read Dean Shaughnessy's piece about the relationship. Not a father son relationship, but a pretty good relationship between the former player and the owner of the team, which was I guess in many ways crafted pardon the pun, there on a trip that they took to Israel several years ago. This is cutt number thirty six on the difficulty of firing Gerrod Mayo.
Speaker 3: Was one of the more difficult things I've had to do in my life because I had such affection for him, and I believe in him, and I really do believe he will go on and as he gets more experience, it will be successful.
Speaker 2: Wellly slipped there is. I had so much affection for him, I would have hoped you would have been present tense have much much affection for him. Okay, I want to talk about the Patriots fans. Look, if you're a fan of a team, you can say whatever you want. But I think that a lot of football fans feel almost too invested and you know, to be screaming for Mayo's head because the team is losing. Did they not realize that every game in the NFL and every game in professional sports team and a losing team, And maybe they've gotten spoiled by twenty great years and six champions you know, six Super Bowl championships. If you're a Patriots fan, I'd love to know what you think. And if you want to give me a name out of the blue of someone who you think would be a great coach, that's fine too. Again, this is not calling all sports, and we normally don't talk a lot about sports hero at nightside, although I love sports, and I did go to one Patriots game this year, game that they played against the Dolphins, and they lost, and both teams looked horrible that day. But just let's open up the phone lines, see what you want to say. What do you think? Does it really make a big difference in your life one who the coach of the Patriots is and does it make a big difference in your life as to whether or not the Patriots are in the playoffs or for that matter, whether they go to the Super I've had the good fortune of going to two Patriot Super Bowls one in Houston and one in Indianapolis. One Day one when they beat the Rams, and one day lost when they lost to the Giants in Indianapolis. But I'm not a season ticket holder. I ye know, I loved I love to watch the games on TV. You may know more about him than I do, so I'd love to hear from you. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. And if you are, you know, a casual fan, what did girod Mayo get a fair shake? I don't think he did. And I wish that Bob Kraft had stood up and said, look, he's my guy. I picked him a year ago and I'm going to stick with him. And it's going to be a couple of tough years here, but we'll build this team back. That's what I wish had happened. But I suspect most of you would disagree with that, So feel free to bring it on. We could have a fun conversation. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. My name is Dan Ray, And in memory of Gouy Middllerwood Calling All Sports, Calling All Sports, fans right now, coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the window World Nightside Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right. Not often do we deep dive into sports. Let me go to Rachel in Quincy. See what Rachel thinks about the way in which Gerard Mayo's one year as head coach of other Patriots came to an end. Hi, Rachel, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing okay?
Speaker 6: Thanks San? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine? So what'd you think about the dismissal? I mean, there's no other firing of Girard Mayo. I'm not happy about it.
Speaker 5: No, I am not either, And so I don't know if I'm calling what is being called as devil advocate or whatever. But the whole thing is, so we get these amazing football players.
Speaker 6: That come in and yes, you're welcome into the Patriot life, but part of that life is just not on the field.
Speaker 7: It is a whole.
Speaker 5: There's so many kids that look up to you, and we've had issues. We know yep, you get pulled over drinking and driving, You do this, you do that.
Speaker 7: That's part of.
Speaker 5: What I don't Belichick did do Instill is like, this is what you're gonna do and you're not gonna do this, You're not gonna do that, You're not gonna do Just do your job.
Speaker 6: And understand that there is young kids looking up to you to be educated, not going out playing.
Speaker 5: And I don't know, you know, the whole thing about me, I don't know.
Speaker 8: It's tough.
Speaker 6: It's tough love.
Speaker 5: It's like, yep, you're doing this and you're doing that, and this is what you're going to do.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: The Patriots did have a couple of guys who were in into trouble this year with their behavior off the field. No need for us to dwell on that, but clearly, if you're playing for the New England Patriots, at least when Belichick was there, there might have been some of that occasionally, but I think there was a little bit more of it this year and it impacted. It impacted the team because at least one player was suspended for several weeks and I think he's he's done for the year. There was another player who was stopped at Logan Airport, had a gun in his possession trying to get an airplane. And you know a lot of these guys, they're spent. They treated a special in a special way from the time they're they're ten and twelve years old, because people say, oh, he's going to be a good athlete, so you know they've that's that's a part of that may be part of the problem, but that isn't what what sank mail. I think what sank Mayo was the fans were pretty upset, and and I look at the fans and it's like, look, you know, you're none of you are owners, you're you're you pay your tickets to go to the game. I just think it's a little unfair to uh to to try to get someone fired in their first year. I mean, there are a lot of people who are yelling and screaming for that.
Speaker 8: At Gillette Stadium, So so you know what my thing is, right, but screaming in whatever, no, no, come on, come on.
Speaker 5: It has to do with the players. They're the ones that are supposed to do their job.
Speaker 8: They're the ones they do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're doing They're doing their job against other equally talented and sometimes more talented players. So yeah, what can I say? Uh hill uh so, but you know, you agree with me, you think that he should have been given a little bit of a longer, longer time than the job to prove himself.
Speaker 5: I do, because from what I'm just seeing, he was defensive coach. I mean, you know the offense.
Speaker 7: My thing is he was Rachel, Rachel, Rachel.
Speaker 2: He's got a defensive coordinator, he's got an offensive coordinator. He's the head coach. So yeah, he is one of those positions where the buck stops there. Rachel. I thank you if you call him. Want to try to get one more in here before we got to go to the break?
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, Sean, take care.
Speaker 2: Thanks for getting this go on, Rachel. I appreciate it. Matter of fact, I don't want to short change Tom and Lynn. So Tom, you stay right there, get you right up after the news if you'd like to join the conversation. Six point seven two five four to ten thirty. Also six one, seven, nine ten thirty. Did Gerrod Mayo? Did he kind of get a short straw here? I think he did. Now, I know some of the Patriot fans out there, if you're listening, if you're a regular sports talk show, you want to jump on and tell me what a knucklehead I am. That's fine, but I think the guy deserved more than a year to basically put his own brand on the team. He inherited a team. Other people were involved in the in the drafting of the players, and frankly, the Patriots have They had some injuries, they had some players who ran into legal trouble this year. Now, if you want to, I guess blame him for that. I don't think that's fair. But I think he was a victim of a bunch of circumstances and I wish the Patriots had given him another season in my opinion, but you could agree or disagree. You have the numbers back on Nightside right after this. The best line is six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty that I'll get you through a red away, thank you ed. According to NIH. To a recent NIH study, by age sixty five, many Americans have lost at least six permanent teeth that can lead to chewing, digestion, and self esteem problems. Dental implants have become the gold standard for treating missing and compromised teeth, and I'm delighted to endorse new arch by doctor Sal Dental Implant Center. Now. Doctor Sal is a distinguished Boston University Dental School graduate. Doctor Sal skillfully compliant combines all the stages of dental implant treatment for your convenience and also to achieve long lasting results for you. Now to learn, if you're a candidate for dental implants, all you have to do is visit doctor Sal at his Ashland office, conveniently located in the Metro West area right next to Framingham close to Route nine four nine. Doctor Sal will listen to you and craft the best possible way to treat you. Doctor Sal will walk you through the process. You'll I've done this and now I've never had a dental implant with doctor Sal or anyone else, but if I needed one, he's the doctor I'm going to because I sat in the chair that you would sit in and he explained the process to me, and you, like I would get a clear picture of every step and feel confident about this procedure before you start. And that's so important. So to schedule your consultation with doctor Sal, give them a call. Give him a call at five zero eight eight eight one twelve ninety. That's five zero eight eight eight one twelve ninety. Remember New arch is New England's choice to chew and smile with confidence and no by the way. When you're there, make sure that you give a look at what is called I guess the before and after wall. He has pictures of people who he has treated so successfully they now literally have Hollywood smiles. And when you look at the before, make sure you realize what a magician this, this doctor is. Doctor Seal is unbelievable. He took people who had literally some of the worst sets of teeth that I could imagine, and turn them into they look like Hollywood stars. It's a simple. It's as simple as that. If you need a dental implant, check him out. It's in It's doctor sell by New Arch. He is in Ashland. This parking easy parking, and he's just a wonderful human being and he understands that. Look, you know you're a little bit of apprehensive about it. Fine, go and talk to him. He'll put your mind. He'll put your mind that ease and put you at ease again. The number is simply five zero eight eight eight one, twelve ninety. You won't regret making the call.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, so we're talking about the dismissal, the firing, whatever word you want to use of Gerard Mayo. I think it was unfair. I think that an NFL coach needs more than a year to put his his mark on a team. Uh, you can agree or disagree. Let me go next to Thomas in Win. Hey, Tom, welcome next on Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 9: I'm cold?
Speaker 10: Is it cold enough?
Speaker 11: Flora Reward?
Speaker 2: Oh man, I'll tell you I was out there today and uh, you know it's January. So if you thought it was a cold day for us, it was a pretty cold day for Gerard Mayo.
Speaker 10: To go right ahead, I'm with you. I agree.
Speaker 9: I liked Mayo. Yeah, he he That's not right. He deserved better, you know. So as I said, I like Mayo.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, here's the thing. Here's the thing that's kind of funny. There was one other head coach that we know of that was fired today. Maybe there's more. They call it in the NFL Black Monday, the Monday after the regular season. So Doug Peterson was the coach of Jacksonville. He was the guy who was coaching the Eagle when the Eagles upset the Patriots in Minneapolis several years ago. So Gerard Mayos fired the same day as a super Bowl winning coach. Even winning the Super Bowl doesn't buy you a whole lot of time. So it's a tough business. I've got to tell you. And I I look call me a softie. Give the guy a couple of years. If he conjured the team around a couple of years, that's fine.
Speaker 10: But one year, okay, all right?
Speaker 9: Well, as I say I liked Mayo, I also have to sit and I liked Craft. He paid one hundred and two hundred million dollars to the team, cried pomos all the way. Then he was going to move the team to Hartford or Providence of Portland.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was hard for Hartford. He was he was down there talking with the governor and everybody was afraid, we're gonna lose the Patriots. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 9: I always thought Montpelia Patriots had a nice sprink to it.
Speaker 2: But so that's still part of New England.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, don't know what success twenty years.
Speaker 2: They look even the great, the great, you know, the great Steeler teams they had to run for you know, seven eight, nine years. None of them won six super Bowls with the in in such a rapid fashion as the Patriots. The forty nine ers were great with Joe Montana and then they had Steve Young. But all those all those teams wear out guys, Guys get hurt, guys retire, people are drafted and it just doesn't work. How long? What did they think the Patriots are going to go for thirty forty years as the best team in the NFL. You can't stay on top. They had this thing with the draft, which we know the worst teams with the worst record get to pick the best players the next year. And that's the league maintains its balanced, you know, on any given Sunday that's been I just think the Patriots fans sometimes can be a little unrealistic. And I think the people who were up there yelling for Gerrod Mayo to fire Mayo, you know, next year, they'll they'll be six and eleven. Maybe they'll be a little bit better, but they're not going to the playoffs anytime soon. In my opinion.
Speaker 9: No, it's gonna take it's gonna take a more coach or no coach. It's gonna take two or three seasons to turn this around. So what I think is going to happen, I think you're gonna see put the team sale because this is just for them anymore. Maybe, And if Bob Craft sounds like Biden, you know, please.
Speaker 2: Don't go that far. That's unfair to Bob Craft. Tom Olyginning, Thanks Tom, appreciate you call. Yeah, Happy new Year, Tom, Let's keep rolling. You're gonna go to Marianne and Bridgewater. Nice to see some ladies calling in on this one him. Marianne, how are you?
Speaker 8: I think?
Speaker 7: Thanks Stan, Happy new Year anyway.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year to you as well.
Speaker 12: Thanks.
Speaker 7: You know, Mayo did deserve a second year. But I don't blame anyone but Mayo by winning yesterday. I'm going to tell you, in all honesty, in hindsight, if that was Belichick out there, he would have played his second and third string guys, not caring about a win because he would have had the first draft pick.
Speaker 2: Was that, Well, yeah, here's the deal. I think at that point in Belichick's career, I think he knew that his time, his days were numbered with the Patriots. I think Mayo, I think, I don't know, what do you do? You do? You go out there?
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, damn, think about it. He played his first string. Do you think Buffalo really wanted the Patriots? To have first pick. Absolutely, not today. Second string players out there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they had a third string quarterback out out in the fourth quarter. Who I think he was two for nine or something like that. I gotta be honest with you. I could have played and I could have been two for nine passing.
Speaker 7: I mean sure it was so All I'm saying is, you know I am I a huge Patriot fan. I'm sorry. No, I'm a hockey person. The bruins of my people, and I'm Red Sox Patriots. You know, I follow and I follow the coaches, and I did like the who check and Drew Bledsoe lived in Bridgewater and he was a great guy to the neighborhood kids. Yeah, that's what I.
Speaker 12: Started following the Patriots.
Speaker 2: It's too bad that that Bledsoe ran into mo Lewis or mo Lewis ran into Bledsoe on the sidelines against the Jets.
Speaker 7: Scared, he got scared, and once you're scared, he was done. But look at no, he was hurt.
Speaker 2: No, no, whoa, whoa whoa No, you know, Bledsoe was hurt. And Brady came came along at the right time.
Speaker 7: And you know, I know what I'm trying to say, is Mayo should have had a second year. I think what sealed his fate was the fact that you blew first pick, you know, and honestly, you know, I just felt bad for Mayo.
Speaker 2: But so you think they would have kept You think they would have kept him if he had if he had lost yesterday?
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely was first pick. I think they might have that was grew up on a coaching pot by not letting like, honestly, that's what I think. But I'm only a female.
Speaker 2: So he took He took may out after one series, okay, which was nothing more. You know, you get sacked and punted, and he put Joe Milton in and Milton played great. What's he going to do? Call this kid over Milton who's playing in this first game and say, hey man, you got to bag this? What are you doing? What are you doing?
Speaker 7: That's what I'm saying. What I would have done was I would have put out people that couldn't catch or needed help catching or something. I would have played like, I don't know. I'm thinking of what Belichick did one year, and who more or less put the guys out that hadn't played all year long. You can't blame Mayo behavior of football players, you can't.
Speaker 2: I think Belichick did that in a game that he was concerned about what team he was going to match up against, and he wanted, I believe that year to play Jacksonville in the first round, which they won and they eventually lost I think to the Steelers.
Speaker 7: But okay, there was coaching strategy there.
Speaker 2: Well, some some would call it more than coaching strategy. They'd call it bag of the game, you know. I mean you're not supposed.
Speaker 7: To No, No, I'm not saying they should have just like given up. What I'm saying is is that think of all them third string guys that really didn't get any playtime. Look at it's the last game of the season. It's like what you do locally, you know, get the little kids out there and get these guys they're getting paid money for sitting on the sideline. Let them out there and let's see if they can finally catch a ball or something. I'm not saying they should have. I mean, like, you know, not saying they did play.
Speaker 2: They did play the they did play the second and third stringers yesterday. I mean there were I mean, Milton, I think the Pig Patriots, I don't know how deep they could go. They only got you know whatever it is forty five guys dressed for for a game or fifty whatever the fifty two now, I think, Mary, and thank you much. I loved your call, your your great callers. Thanks so much tonight, Thanks you too. Good night. Let's keep take a break. And we got Maureen and we got Bill coming up, and we got a little bit of room for you. I'll get you in if you want six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six seven. Coming right back on Night'side. Talking about Gerrod Mayo's dismissal as head coach of the Patriots. I think it was unfair. It's as simple as that. I loved to know, would you think. And we are going to change topics at ten o'clock. So if you want to dial now, we'll get you in. If you wait any longer, you won't get in. You can express yourself. This is kind of I'm doing this in memory of Guy Manilla calling all sports. Those of you have been around for a while can remember that program. Coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World to night Side Studios on DOBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Right by the way again. You know, Christian Barmore, Jabrill Peppers, a couple of the players who got themselves in a little bit of legal problems this year. That didn't help Girod Mayo. Let me go next to Bill and hey Bill, how are you? I know this is Bill Winker. Hi Bill, what's going on?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 10: You accuse me of not calling much, and you're right, So I figured I'll put my two SEMs worth in tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to hear what you think.
Speaker 10: Well, first of all, I think, like you and Mayo, they should have given them another year. You know, here's a lesson I learned a long time ago from my father when we were kids and we started to work with my dad, and he said, you've got to surround yourselves with people that are better than you are. And that's true today. If Boe and I go out to play at a party or a wedding or an event, if the two of us go and the people around us aren't as good or better than we are, we just we're not going to succeed. It's not going to be a great product. And poor Gerard Mao did not have a great product. I watched every game this year on TV, and you know, all the announces each game would always comment on the week team that we had out there. You know, great quarterback this year, which was a surprise and it was a great surprise, and even Milton surprises yesterday. But one great player doesn't do it. If you had a law froom, you need all great lawyers. And if you've got a software company, you need geniuses working there. In a drug company, same so you need a great team. And Craft did not spend the money pick up some key free agents in weak spots. You need to spend the money. You have to have the best people in the field. One superstar can't do it.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree with you more. And I also think what you do with a coach is you establish a baseline. So he was four and thirteen. Next year, if he was four and thirteen again, at that point he can say, look that didn't work out. Or if he was three and fifteen or whatever the number would be. If he was let's say, uh, three and three and fourteen, it's no improvement, then that's fine, fire him. But if next year instead of winning four, they win six or seven, you stick You stick with them again. And then if he ate it now. You're talking now, maybe you're in the playoffs two years from now. I don't know.
Speaker 10: I agree with you one hundred percent on that, but uh.
Speaker 13: Craft needed to support him by encouraging the whole staff, you know, pick up some great players you have to improve and yeah, have a good team on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had one guy to make the Pro Bowl this year. That's the real question here. You have a roster of fifty three. One guy made the Pro Bowl and he was a Special Teams rep. I mean that's straight. That's not great. That is that's not great. Bill is always please. They had a bow for me, and uh, we've got to get you on some Friday night as a guest.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, that would be great. We we love your show. I listen every night. It's great.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it so much. And we love the Winnakers, that's for sure, Bill Winnaker. Uh, And we'll get you in bow on and sometime on one of these cold winter nights and we're warming up a little bit with some musics.
Speaker 10: Buddy sounds good, okay, good, thank.
Speaker 2: You, So good night. Let's keep rolling. You're gonna go to Maureene and Brockton Maureen, what do you say about Gerad Mayo?
Speaker 12: Hi damn, Happy New Year to you and to Rob and to all the Night Side nations. I am very sad.
Speaker 10: You welcome.
Speaker 12: I'm very sad. I'm a huge fan of the coach. But my point is is there were a lot of injuries, and you complain that on the coach, you know you can. It's like it's like still the thing like you you know, you you work with what you have, and he's he was a rookie. He you know, what are you doing comparing him like you know, apples to oranges, you know, him to Belichick. It's like, no, no, I was very sad when I heard the news.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing, you had a couple of players who got into some pretty serious bar More not only had some problems, some legal problems with that traffic stop down in Rhode Island, but then he was dealing with some sort of black cloth issues. Jabrill Prat Pepper's He's still, you know, had that sort of hanging over his head. They reactivated him a few weeks ago. But that's disruptive in a team, and you know, those those guys sort of let their teammates down and let and let him done. It's bad enough when a player gets into some sort of stupid event, uh in the off season, But when in the middle of the season you find yourself under arrest, that's that's not good. It's just yeah.
Speaker 9: No, I was, I was.
Speaker 12: I was very sad. I watched the game yesterday. I was so thrilled with Joe Milton. What a what a wonderful asset he is, and even.
Speaker 2: I mean, if Drake May is the real thing, which I think he is, you can't play two quarterbacks. But you can turn around now and and and maybe uh, Milton is the real deal. You can get some good players at other positions in the trade for Milton or I mean, I don't know, if you want to think about trade and May. I think May is the franchise quarterback. That's I think decided by how much money they make and their and their draft status. Milton I think was a sixth rounder if I'm not miss taken it, and May was obviously a first round pick.
Speaker 10: So well, and the whole bit.
Speaker 2: Sorry, go ahead, no, go ahead, I interrupted you go ahead, Marien.
Speaker 12: No, No, I probably interrupted you on I apologize every week. My family does a zoom family call and I have a brother in Brighton and both of my brothers and they were like they just wanted the paths to lose because they wanted that first round. Well, sure, I don't think that that was in coaches. You know, that was not in coaches eyes, you know, to go out and lose. And I mean I believe I believe Crap. I saw a part of the interview, and I don't believe Kraft, you know, said oh, go out and lose the game today because yesterday. So I just I think it's we had a lot of injuries. Yes, we had some people that you know, but again, but aside from that, he was only his first year. He's he's only one of there were two his age head coaches. I mean, he's what thirty seven or thirty eight, I think.
Speaker 2: Get something like that. But NFL coaches are getting younger over time, because there's some young coaches have had great success. Maureen, I love you. Cal I'm gonna try to get one more in here if it's okay. Thanks so much being with being there tonight. Thanks so much, Marine, I appreciate it. Robert and Wellesley. Robert, you're going to wrap the hour for us. Go right ahead, Robert.
Speaker 11: Okay, good evening, Dan, and my superficial quick analysis. My gut feeling is that the coach was a scapegoat, and I do agree with the other callers that and you that you should have been given another another year. It seemed to me like he was making progress.
Speaker 2: And oh, yes, I think that. Yeah, I mean, I think you need an entire season. And then you say, okay, we were four to thirteen. They could have won a couple of other games. To be honest with you, there were a couple of other games they were very competitive in and there was one they lost overtime to Seattle. They could have easily been you know, six and eleven as opposed to four and three team. But that's where they are, and there's your baseline and go from there and get better next year. I think they will get better next year. But I just think it was unfair. And again, some of his own players let him down. I'm sure he was upset that that a couple of his guys ended up, you know, out of commission because of you know, dumb interactions with police officers. I know that the league now cautions these guys, you know, use your brain. You're making a lot of money. You know, act appropriately if you if you do get pulled over. Most times, if you polite to an officer, they're going to give you a bit of a break. Take advantage of your status, you know whatever. I just think I think the guy got a short deal, short shrift, I should say, And he'll end up. I'm sure as a coach, he's young enough, he'll come back and maybe he'll become a great coach. And because that's how they decide if you're a great coach, if you win and lose. But I don't know too many coaches is that could take that roster and do much more than four wins. It's as simple as that, simple as that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, good, good analysis better than mine and and just my gut failing, as it seemed like there was a little bit of a lack of intestinal fortitude and it was not particularly doesn't seem to me like a particularly great executive decision.
Speaker 2: All right, Robert, appreciate you all very much. We'll talk again, talk soon. Thanks thanks as always, Thank thank you, have a great night. Good night. Six one seven, five, four ten thirty is the number you should write it down. Six one seven, nine three one ten thirty when we get back after the ten o'clock news, we are going to change topics. And there's a new study out that suggests that amongst all of the top twenty five most congested American cities, Boston ranks fourth, which is not a place we want to be, uh. And we'll talk about that, and we'll talk about what's going on in New York City with the congestion pricing, because at this point, all the network stories I saw the night said Boston, San Francisco, or Chicago could be next. We talked about this a little bit on Friday night. I'd like to like to talk about it again tonight because I think it's crazy. And we'll be back on Nightside right after the ten o'clock news