Speaker 1: What's good. Everybody is your boy cal game face Lee.
Speaker 2: And it's me Warrenshaw and we are officially live on millions, y'all.
Speaker 3: That's right, The Baseline NBA podcast is officially live. Just go to millions dot co and go to our profile the Baseline NBA Podcast to check out more dope content curated just for you.
Speaker 2: And if you're looking to book with us, collaborate us, or get with us in any way, that's the spot to make sure that that happens, y'all.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so be sure to go to millions dot co. You already know.
Speaker 3: Keep it real here the Baseline NBA Podcast. Your boy Cayl gave face Lee and my man warren Shaw hit us up on millions.
Speaker 1: Don't miss out.
Speaker 3: This is the Baseline discussing the hot button topics.
Speaker 1: Of the NBA.
Speaker 3: Welcome everybody here, Tune to the Baseline Cali Warrenshaw discussing the hot button topics of the NBA And we are finally here.
Speaker 1: The table is set. NBA Finals is.
Speaker 3: Now upon us and it will be Indiana Pacers taking on the Oklahoma City Thunder. And I am sure the NBA pundits those who are about the big ratings when it comes to watching NBA Playoff Basketball, NBA Finals, basketball sports entertainment are just shrugging their shoulders and are just kind of like, WTF. But you know what, Sean, I we here for it. And I'm pretty sure that if you were watching the whole NBA Playoffs run for both of these seams, respectively, you would be here for it as well too. And it's only apropos if we come to this point of the of the NBA season, it's culminated that it arguably would be the two best playing teams that are going into the NBA Finals, and not simply because of the names.
Speaker 1: So let me go and rot the red carpet. I'm my right hand man.
Speaker 3: Www, dots that that net big OUNIPNC, My man ister wone shar ripping out of Fort Laidale, Florida.
Speaker 1: What's good? My brother?
Speaker 3: That smirk on your face is telling me that you about about it. So I'm supposing that we're gonna feel good about our discussion in previewing the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: I just love basketball, and I love the surprises that this NBA season has has given us and bestowed upon us. For what I'm calling the unexpected NBA Finals and and that's not to be dismissive in any way. I just think, you know, the betting odds makers did not have Indiana and Okay see as your NBA finalists. Like just there's just it just didn't happen. So the internet pacers have gone on to you know, really prove me wrong, you know, in a variety of ways over the course of the season. And it's fun. Like I'm excited about, you know, the opportunities here. So uh, I just listen, I'm just excited to talk basketball, the NBA Finals or upon us. It's been a long, long and very interesting and peculiar season, and I think there's this apropos, if you will, that we're getting something that we didn't expect as the NBA Finals here in the jew.
Speaker 3: Look, you're my boy, right, We've been doing this for quite some time. And I don't want to be labor our conversation because I do want the attention to be on the things that we are looking forward to with regards to this matchup, which I really think is about as intriguing a matchup as you will probably get over the last five years. As far as the dynamics of what these two teams bring to the table. But I know that you've been saying, hey, you know, they proved me wrong. Look, you just weren't a believer in the Indiana Pacers and the makeup of this team in comparison to what we essentially have said were among the better teams. But what I am appreciating about what the NBA has done through the course of this year and what we're actually seeing with the implementation and the way that things have changed and evolved.
Speaker 1: They want there too.
Speaker 3: They want parody, right, And while a lot of people are pulling the idea of it, this is why you want the parody, and you want the parody kind of as a precursor. You want it, you know, reflective in what we're seeing as you're going through that process of watching an NBA season. I don't think you would have just instantly said the Indiana Pacers given what they showed us at the beginning of the season to what they look like at the end of the season with minimal changes. It was more of like it was a wake up call.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I'm not gonna sit there and let you just basically be like yo, Shaw, you know, yeah, that's right, you were completely off on it, or whatever the case may be. They had a lot of proving to do right, because I think a lot of people had a right to feel like this was kind of an overrated team or maybe they overachieved because they just did not come out looking like the team that surprised this last year. And it's not like we haven't seen that before. Now, with all that being said, we were kind of questioning whether or not, okaysee, was that team right because they underachieved last year. Right, people didn't buy into them being that number one seed. They come out to Gate, they're among the best teams going, and they hit a stump in a road a couple of times when they dealt with the Cleveland Cavaliers. People believed that the Cleveland Cavaliers were the best team.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: When we saw that matchup earlier this year and we start the Cleveland Cavaliers, it's basically take them to the tool shed at the land and then OKAC showed us their resiliency. They showed us that they learned from their mistakes, they learned from the losses that they took. They came back and they just basically put a spanking on Cleveland, and then we said to ourselves, oh wow, Now the question is, are the Boss and Celtics, you know, in a position where they can actually repeat because it just looks like, if Okac is that kind of team, are the Celtics really about being that type of team to defend their championship?
Speaker 1: So there were so.
Speaker 3: Many storylines going on, Shaw and this is what I love that we have gotten it to this point where we can truly say, you know what, when it was all said and done, when we wipe all of this down and you take off all the injuries and all the excuses. The Pacers were one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season, and they carried it into the playoffs and they won the games that mattered the most to get them to this point, the Oklahoma City Thunder. For them to be as viable as a finals participant, they had to go through a roadblock, and that roadblock was one of the former champions into Denver Nuggets. I think that series proved to us that if they go out and do what they were put together to do, they would be one of the best teams in the NBA and would be one of the participants in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said a lot. And I'll actually want to throw it back to the aspect of these two teams doing what they needed to do Keith Smith front of the show, and a lot of I think of the smarter NBA podcasts and ones that are not just kind of like clickbaitio case to b. They've latched onto this tweet by Keith Smith where he indicated that this is going to be the first NBA Finals in the luxury tax era, that both teams were not luxury tax players. So this is smart team building, rafting, coaching, player development, all of the things, and none of these teams and it's not they won't be this way forever, but as of this NBA Finals, none of these teams, neither of these two teams are luxury tax players. That is amazing, and that is amazing, and I think you know, okay, see and Indiana, they they made really smart trades obviously, Okay, see getting SGA in Paul George trade. There's the Paul George angle down a lot of NBA twitter is hanging on to as well too. These are two or two former Paul George teams as well. But then the Halliburton for Sabona trade you know, from Indiana, then they get Siakam the next year later, or what are the case they be? Like really well constructed teams who deserve to be here. And I'm not taking anything away from them anymore at all in any aspector or or any way for them because I love I love basketball. I love that these two teams represent basketball. And while it's not the air quot sexiest finals in terms of market size or what are the cases be, these are the two best teams standing. And that's what you will.
Speaker 3: Listen for all these people out there that love, you know, to inject you know, quote unquote the the trash talking aspect of what we what we do and what I'm what I'm talking about is you look at these teams and they don't exhibit quote unquote the star power that I think people are trying, you know, to elevate when we attach ourselves to the NBA and the marketability of the NBA.
Speaker 1: But look at these two teams.
Speaker 3: Shaw, these are thoroughbreds, right The Oklahoma City Thunder have proven that they can run with any team if they want to. Notice I said, if they want to. But they don't have to. They believe that they're good enough that if you want to go half court, we can half court you. You want to go all out track meet, we can run with you. And we'll run with you fifteen deep if we have to write. They're players that showed up in this Western Conference Finals that you probably have not heard their names up until they got into the playoffs and their dagonault and you know, you can clearly tell that he's elevated himself as a coach and when he is implementing and deploying the roster and what he needs his guys to go out and do, and they're going out and doing it. The caseon Wallace's the Kendrick Williams. These dudes, you don't hear them all throughout the but he's played them. He's played them if you were paying attention to them, and they found minutes. He found minutes for them critical situations where it was needed, not about just giving guys a blow, not out of necessity or desperation, but out of the strategic aspect of what the OKC thunder needed to do for them to win a game or win a series. And that to me, it speaks bothers. And I give the same credit to Rick Carlisle when he felt like a matchup was not in his favor, even if he had marginally playable guys, he still put them out there with confidence that they are doing something that is going to benefit them when it came down to closing out that series against the New York Knicks, And that, to me is the kind of things you want to see coming into an NBA Finals. Were all of these components that you're measuring up and trying to say who has the advantage of this that? And the third if it's not being shown or implemented any course through their run, it will always be a question mark and will always probably be against them if it's not being displayed at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's another great point. These are also the two deepest teams left and that's important, and that's I think on purpose, right, These coaches went deep into their bench. They went deep into their bench all season long. They and in some cases they were forced. You know, Check and Hertenstein all missed injuries, you know, various times things J. J. Williams this some time as well to both J. Williams actually you know in O ca see Nate Smith missed time, them hard miss time. So I think they, the Pacers and the thunder understood the need for a deep bench, but ultimately that allowed them to be trustworthy to those guys eight, nine, ten, eleven, and twelve. You know, Thomas Ryant three threes, and you know in the close out game of Game six, you know, basically getting out of the doul drums of the Miami bench where he just wasn't getting any run and his big threes and thats since I kind of sent the tide, especially in that first half. Like listen, I respect the roster construction, I respect the organizations that are in this NBA Finals, and I think I'll pick it back off of you what you said one more time. You know, be damned what any of all dependents are saying. Be damned what NBA fans are saying, like, Oh, this is gonna be a boring finals. I'm not gonna watch, cool, don't watch. I think you're gonna miss out on some great basketball. But if that's your choice because you don't have the air quote mar Key guys or names that you're used to, this is exactly what the NBA wanted. They wanted the aspect of trying to bring in new blood and now having these small and mid market teams in the NBA Finals is an amazing case. VB. Is he overrated at this point? What more can you say? He's made it to the NBA Finals with the team that is extremely well constructed, but it's definitely built in his image and his likeness and terms of his leadership and getting getting the pace up and down.
Speaker 3: Absolutely Golly Warren Show based on NBA podcast our NBA Finals preview. I mean we were just right out the gate. We were just all about talking about it, right, you know, forget a plug.
Speaker 1: You people know who we are. You know what we've been doing.
Speaker 3: We've been doing it all season long and for all twelve plus years, right like, we've been doing this, right, So you know where to find is, you know where to catch is.
Speaker 1: One thing.
Speaker 3: And then you know, obviously we're gonna you know, drop it to a quick break and then we'll get into the into the gist of you know where where we think the keys to the game is, you know, to who might actually have an advantage, may have a disadvantage, and then ultimately we'll you know, give our picks one thing that I think I'm really really really looking forward to. What is intrigued me about this series is the way that both of these teams are manufacturing their points. Okay, let right now, like a lot of the really high ended, well respected analysts are looking at this as an offensive versus defensive matchup right like, because the Indiana Pacers are the kind of team that can run up one hundred and thirty points. But I want people to really understand the Oklahoma City Thunder as equally as well too. We're are scoring north of one hundred and twenty something points, and a lot of it comes down to what they're forcing the other teams to not be able to do. And what we saw in this last series with the Indiana Pacers is they are finding ways for them to hit.
Speaker 1: Those quote quote unquote.
Speaker 3: Those quotas right of them hitting those one hundred and twenty points, but they're doing it at the expense of the opposition's mistakes, which is making them as equally a formidable team as the Oklahoma City Thunder. I think what it does now come down to is are the Pacers able to consistently do that to win four of seven games?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Because I don't think there'll ever be a question about what OKC is capable of doing. They have been doing this, and they do it with consistency. Now, there'll be times where you know, somebody cracks the Da Vinci code on the OKC Thunder defense, and there are times where the OKAC Thunder offensively get too kind of hung up on their own. But I want to see can the Indiana Pacers as equally reflect that same level of defensive intensity on a team that equals them when you look at the matchups and the way that they're situated and how these these offenses are executed, because to me, that could very much be a toss up, and then it really comes down to basketball IQ execution and better shot selection and decision making, which I will say I question the Indiana Pacers a lot more than I probably do the Oklahoma City Thunder. But I'm gonna leave that part for you try to kind of kind of weigh in and chime in on, because through there we'll segue into where we see these X factors and the matchups and who probably has the advantage over who when it comes to the total roster, and then giving our picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I think, you know, it's a great it's a great opportunity for us to understand the machinations of all of these teams. So both these teams twelve and four, you know, getting into and I think the twelve and four are looked very different obviously in terms of how we got here. Okay, see, as you said before and as we've said, forged by fire with the Denver Nuggets in that series, while the Pacers more or less have been able to i'd say truly dominate almost every one of their matchup six games, very close six games, and the game will probably turn that series around for them ultimately when the New York series or whatever. But you know, they they haven't been they haven't faced elimination yet, right, And I think you know that's that's just a different situation than than Oka. See. But again, we still get here with twelve and four records, both teams who are offensively capable, defensively capable. In the end, I really turned up to the defense on this next team and it's forced a lot of turnovers. And that's something that I think when when we come back to the break, something that will be a great part of the conversation to kind of figure out, you know, who's more reliance on their defense to turn into offense or who should be ultimately and who will be able to just kind of be able to sustain their normal offense, right, you know, can they run the half court offense and execute in a way that will be efficient enough in essence to get w's in this series? So cannot wait dive into that conversation. But again, two teams twelve and four, very different, different different looks, but same results here NBA Finalists.
Speaker 3: Your tune to the baseline Cali warn't Shaw discussing the hot button topics of the NBA are special edition of the Baseline NBA Finals Preview Indiana Pass Oklahoma City Thunder coming up, Sean, I will break down some of those nuances where the advantages play for other team and then ultimately we got to pick a winner, right, so you don't want to miss it here on the Baseline. We're back, Cali Warrenshaw based on NBA podcast NBA Finals Preview Oklahoma City Thunder, Indiana Pacers, and just before we hit our Breakshaw, you alluded to one of the things that I think was really important is which team is gonna have to heavily rely on their defense to.
Speaker 1: Allow them more.
Speaker 3: Opportunities for shots, allow them to force the other team to really appreciate the amount of shot attempts that they will have to be efficient in order to maintain and hang. And I think it's a really great way to kind of look into you know, have the Indiana Pacers caught up? We can safely say throughout the course of the run for the Oklahoma City Thunder, their defense really and I'm sure that there will be, you know, metrics that will speak to it on historical levels. I don't want to go as far as to say they were among they are the greatest defense that's ever played. I'm not really buying that because I think when you look at who you're playing against, the level of the competition that you're playing against, I think that speaks volumes.
Speaker 1: I will say that they are definitely one of.
Speaker 3: The most effective defensive teams that we have seen in recent history, with the way that all of them have had an intricate part in being able to affect those numbers. The Oklahoma City Thunder, without question, to me, would be the team that offers the most consistency to come out and play defensive, intense basketball for forty eight minutes through and through, and even though the results may not speak to saying, Okay, you're holding a team to seventy points eighty points, it's the quality of shot and the amount of opportunities they're giving themselves in order for them to beat the other team that I think resonates with me. And it's something that I wonder this series that we saw with the Indiana Pacers and the New York Knicks. While the Indiana Pacers definitely improved as far as what they showed excuse me, defensively, I wonder if whether or not a lot of it as well too, just came down to who they were playing against and the fact that they weren't a tentative to details in not making themselves turn the ball over. So I wonder, now with this Oklahoma City Thunder team, do they nullify that aspect with the Pacers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'll throw a couple of numbers at you. These are, you know, two obviously the two last teams in the NBA, and the numbers are going to skew towards them because of just kind of like where they're at. But Oklahoma City really relies on defense and defense and essence deternament the offense, as I was saying before the break, so roughly twenty four points per game in the playoffs are they're getting based off of turnovers? Like they're scoring those points off of turnovers twenty four of those points. Indiana conversely getting nineteen points off off of turnovers. So what I'm interested to see here is that the fast breaking style of Indiana, while their pace, hasn't necessarily reflected everything that we think to be true about them, because right now they're at a pace off only ninety nine throughout the course of the playoffs. Okay, see he's actually playing at a faster pace in the playoffs and roughly like one hundred point one. But in theory, Indiana is running up and down. Will that negate the opportunities for okac in as sin As to swipe, to strip, you know, to really stand guys up if you will, to double and you know, come from the weak side and strip a miles Turner if you think he's going to go over that right shoulder or whatever the case may be. That's something I think that the Indiana Pacers and Carli Will will look at heavily. Do they really need to turn it up right? But sometimes you can play too fast, and playing too fast and also obviously lead to turnovers, so they won't be live ball turnovers maybe in essence, which Okaye obviously rely thries off of as well. But are they throwing the bounds, throwing the ball out of bound so to speak, and now all of a sudden not getting as many possessions. That's something that I think will be a really really de dremning factor into how the playoffs or this finals will actually finish out. Conversly, though Indiana has been able to pick things up, and I think with them Hart and Nie Smith playing as well as they are at the point of attack, are they going to be able to force SGA to kind of give up the ball right and then will guys be available in the passing lanes. This is a different series from Miles Turner, you know, I don't know if if it's more of the heart and sign or if he's going to be more on chet and then also Okay See likes to play you know, kind of like Chet out the five sometimes and then you know, allow them to have more spacing, you know, with some of those smaller guys because they just they're not worried about giving up things defensively. That's where I'm just, I'm just I'm so intrigued at the cross matching of what Indiana is going to do defensively here to see if they can still get a leg up in the defense that I think has been much improved from where they were in December and January. Like, this is a much different team than they or you know, five months ago now, and will that be able to turn okay, see over and turn fast rate points in the favor of the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 3: I want to be positive about the Indiana Pacers, So I apologize to you Shaw and to anybody who's probably gonna be listening to this and thinking I'm like hating on the Pacers when I say this, Okay, I'm concerned that the matchup with the Indiana Pacers and the New York Knicks will give the Pacers this foolish idea that they can go out and defensively execute the way that they did with Jalen Brunson and the rest of those guys. I don't think you can get away with that with this version of what we see with the Oklahoma City Thunder. Now, I will say this, if Nemhart can hang with SGA and if whether or not Nie Smith is going to have the responsibility of handling SGA more or maybe handling Williams more, because I see that being more of a matchup where athleticism plays into Nie Smith kind of bodying up Williams a little bit more and forcing Williams to probably be more aggressive, maybe take more shots. Only if Nemhart can hang with SGA. And this is why it's such an intriguing matchup Shaw. The way that SGA plays his ball handling skills are so dynamically different than Jalen Brunson's. Shade gillis Alexander. Everyone is he. He's the free throw merchant and all that other stuff. I want people to really understand and pay attention. He is the kind of guy who is much more decisive about going to where he wants to go in a north south fashion that that will put Nemhart and whoever is going to be on him on their heels. And if the Oklahoma City Thunder is moving like they are, Hartenstein, home Grin all those guys, that means that the Pacers have to be attentive. I mean to the last person moving and cutting, because when SGA gets inside, there is not a lot of room for ERA. It's not a question of you know, baiting and getting fouls. It's knowing that if SGA has gotten past who you have as your primary defender, all hands have to be on deck. It's even Halliburton, and I'm not saying Halliburton is a compromise defensively, but all of these guys can wind up getting cheap fouls because SGA will deliberately get to a place that will, though will make your defense vulnerable. And that's what I'm intrigued by because there is a maturation process that gets elevated now because you're not dealing with the same kind of backcourt play that you just finished playing in the six game series with the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because you know, I'm gonna not jumped from your point, but I think when we talked about it in the first half of the show, the overall depth of this, right, So the depth is also going to come in the cross matching and then how much do the true starters play and do those cross matches take effect? Right? Like who does heard signed really guard, you know, with in the Inna on the Indian the side, if it's Turner, awesome, right, but if a great sorry, is Ischet a great match up for I don't I don't know, right, So I think that might be more J. J. Dubb who probably takes that assignment on on a more regular basis. And then that's does not allow Check to hang out on like uh like a Nie Smith per se, like you know what I mean. So those are things, but they remember they're gonna play a majority of those guys, So who wish minutes are really gonna are we gonna see in terms of the cross matching. So the top end is in the game for Indiana, who's he guarded? Right? You know? Unfortunately Jaris Walker looks like he's going to be out for them for this final series, right, But does does that force you to play Thomas Bryant who wasn't looking so great in the first part of the Knick series? And then is that something? Okay? See can on the other side, so and the Thunder Conversely, they feel like all their guys can guard everybody exactly, case of Wallas is out there, you know, Caruso as stout as he is As a defender, He's obviously very switchable. That's where I think okay See seems to have the advantage, especially when you go to the bench, because once you get past that first that front five, so to speak. Now, I think the defensive side for Indiana switches towards okay Cee's favor because I just don't think they're as versatile defensively, although they are very versatile offensive.
Speaker 3: Watch if Dagona unleashes Caruso on Halliburton. I feel like Talaris Halliburton's gameplay to me is so important.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that was interesting, you know, with Pascal Siakam winning the Eastern Conference Finals MVP. I thought that that was I thought it was apropos. I thought it was necessary. And if you're in the Indiana Pacers, you're happy about that. You need an aggressive Pascal si I know everybody's focused on, you know, the the rising stardom of Tyrese Haliburton and his clutch playmaking. But you're talking about playing a seven game series, hopefully against the Oklahoma City thunder right. If you're going to have any chance of winning, you need that version of Pascal Siakam that came out in games was it two?
Speaker 1: Games three?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 1: I think two four and game six?
Speaker 3: Right, you need that Pascal Siakam, That Pascal Siakam is aggressive, that Pascal Siakam creates matchup nightmares for the front court. That Pascal Siakam in transition is the kind of person that the Oklahoma City Thunder were hoping they weren't seeing from Julius Randall in that series that they just came from who didn't show that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So if you are the Indiana Pacers, you know how it is. Sometimes you got to nudge someone to be like, I need to see the hulk in you, bro.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I want I want to see you kind of Bruce Banner your way through this thing. And Pascal Siakam could easily do that, but he just at times he disappears. He cannot afford to disappear in this series. He to me is the X factor that I think people really need to pay attention to because he is the one person on top end, bottom end that can really affect first, second, and third levels of the Oklahoma City Thunder on both sides of the basketball. It doesn't mean that he's got to go out there and shot block or whatever.
Speaker 1: The case may be.
Speaker 3: But rebounding, creating disruption, creating length, creating a shot, being a shot deterrent. That has to all come in play. And I'm not saying it's only Onle. What I'm saying is Siakam's energy and Siakam's being included in that. To me, it's just so important if we think that the Pacers have an opportunity to win this series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll counter only with the notion of you know, talk about Okay, see, we haven't really dove into the SGA aspect of it yet, but even sticking on the defense is like Dort, So Dort has that opportunity to really, you know, try to Dfacam, I think at times alongside Jail and Williams, and that's where I'm just I'm just very concerned about what OKAC like their ability to consistently switch and throw guys and not worry about it.
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: I feel like they're they're getting like they're they're that they're that they're at a disadvantage just because this ex defender is on them, whether they're smaller or not. Caruso Dorr Williams, it doesn't really matter case I Wallace like, they just will find guys and feel like, you know what, we can live with this, And I think that's where Indiana's going to be different. So while Siakam has to play well, I think that's not to say a given, but it's kind of one of the you know, sticking points of the series. I think it does become like, well where else can Indiana get consistent play? Because if you feel like the main guys are gonna struggle, you know, even even if it's just efficiency per se, maybe they'll still get their numbers, but efficiently they may not. Then that's when Miles Turner comes into play. That's when Aaron Smith comes into play. And the last one is it two three games of the series Benedict matthe and coming off the bench. You know you talk about a freato merchant you was getting through the line kind of that nauseum and was really been able to be really impactful. So is that something you know, Carl aland the Pacers can tap into. Offense will be when their main guys presumably are going to really be facing a very a tough sledding for the entire of these series just because of okay, switchability defensively, So I've been looking for Nie Smith, Turner and Mathurin to really really figure out ways to step in here, you know, and have some games. And that's the beauty I think about the Indiana Pacers. It doesn't mean they all have to go off at the same time, but can one of them have a good game and you know, while the other one is like, all right, tonight's an off night. But the Smith pops Likeing did in game one eight threes, which is obviously, you know, miraculous, But does he you know, give you seventeen to eighteen and another night Turners, you know, giving you almost twenty eights. That's where I think Indiana is really going to have to figure this out topping played well in Game six, especially in the second half, and I think that's where I think the Pacers have some symbls of an understanding. But I don't know if all their main guys are going to be able to go off in this series because I think, okay, see just so top heavy defensive way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so real quick, And then Sew, I want you to kind of give me your take on who are gonna be the rain makers? You know in this series, like dudes that are just you know, they're looking, they'll probably have an opportunity to really to go off. One of the things that I spoke about, and I even you know, I kind of mentioned this on on X platforms and stuff like that, Like there were times where, you know, watching the Pacers and the Knicks play was to me was just kind of unwatchable. Not because I didn't like either of the teams, because I technically don't. But the reason why I was unwatchable is because shot selection and basketball IQ at times was just I you know, I just couldn't understand it. Like I guess it's like neither one of these teams wanted to win. You cannot do that against this Oklahoma City Thunder team. You just you just cannot. You have to be at the highest level of your understanding of the game and when a shot is a good shot and when a shot is not a good shot, because you're not going to be afforded too many opportunities to have those make or miss situations.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: My concern he or again, what I've seen from the Oklahoma City Thunder is that these guys are are executing at a high level because they're reading and understanding the game. They know and they understand the moments of you know, when I should be get basically getting two points, or why I can go ahead and shoot that transition three. You know what I'm saying, Like they feel and understand where the momentum shifts and changes, and they if they roll the dice and take a risk on it, their confident is saying, you know what, we own that that's on us. But they like throughout the course of their playoff run. What's impressed me about Okay se Shaws. I've never looked at them with this level of saying, oh my god, like are you serious? Like this is exactly what you think you're gonna supposed to be doing, like at this moment in time, is if like this is meant to like you wanted this to happen, Like no, Like you're gifting the opposition a chance to probably win a game that they have no business.
Speaker 1: Winning, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And I felt that numerous times in the series against the Indiana Pacers, where you work so hard you stole two games from the New York Knicks, and yet your level of execution down to stretch you even almost gifted it back to them. And I'm just like, you cannot do that against a team that really understands who they are, who they had to go through to get to this point. I'm just saying, like, if I want to buy into the Indiana Pacers making this a series, they can't pull the kind of stunts that they were pulling in this last series in the Eastern Conference finals now.
Speaker 2: And I get that, right. They they know that they're going to be the underdogs and that they're going to out to play and I say, perfect basketball, but a mistake.
Speaker 1: Less basket payer, Yeah, don't use mistake free.
Speaker 2: It's just like, yeah, I mean it has to be limited because I think, you know, you have to understand the beachha going up against okay See is going to turn you over, right, But just how many of those are like, as I said in the beginning, how many of those are live ball turnovers, you know versus like, all right, you know, shot clock violations or whatever the case it be, you know, are throwing the ball out of bounds per see. You know, I don't want the anti passers to become timid in the series at all. I think they need to inherently need to be who they are and try to run the basketball and not go up against Oklahoma studies, you know, set defense on a record basis, but again you have to do that with a certain level of care and caution. And I think that's what the depth of this team really does kind of come into play that gives them more than a punch of Shanson. I think some of the oddsmakers are going to say in this situation, what I want to kind of like switch gears to real quick though, is just your thought on Indiana and their ability to stop SGA, Like what are you looking for for SGA in this series to be brilliant? And I could ultimately to an OKAYC championship.
Speaker 3: If SGA believes that he can basically beat Indiana's backcourt off the dribble, then ride that until they show you differently. I mean literally ride that, because I think it just opens up the floodgates. Let's remember, too, right, like again that the Indiana Pacers have had more of a wolf pack mentality defensively, which I think has afforded them the opportunity. And you could also make the argument in some respects that the New York Knicks kind of kind of gifted that for them, like baited themselves because of their style of offense. They had way too many half court oriented guys weren't really good in spacing, and then when those opportunities came for them to make those half court shots, it was in the hands of people that just were inconsistent. I don't think you'll have that kind of problem if I'm OKAC, But it's all predicated on the aggressiveness of SGA. And when I say aggressiveness, I'm saying he doesn't have to take twenty shots in order for that to kind of happen. It's all about if he's beating his man. One of the things that I was impressed by that I thought would have given the Minnesota Timber was a chance in that series was the level of aggressiveness that you saw from Alexander. From Walker Alexander and then also from Anthony Edwards, there was a level of intensity of really getting up in SGA and forcing him to dance with the ball more rather than moving north south. If SGA has made up his mind to go north south and he gets past one the first defender, or maybe even gets around the screen to the second defender, that's putting guys like Siakam, guys like Turner on their heels. And I'm not saying that they're great defensively, but it will marginalize what they can give you defensively because they're not great front court stretch out extensive defense defenders. Once the guard gets past their back their their own their teammates back court. So that's that's where I'm concerned. But if I get an aggressive Sga, I mean he can basically have lunch all all day long in the paint with the with the Indiana Pacers because he can be that kind of guy if he chooses to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the foul down is going to be something that we need to watch, especially on Dananda side. You know, OKAC is known for their physical defense and they seemly kind of get away, you know with some things here and there. But conversely, can you make sha work? Can you run him through multiple screens without them being legal? Right? You know, I can see Siakam and Turner trying to do something and then you know, sticking a leg out too far and then get a call for those illegal screens. But you gotta run you know, Sga around on the defensive side to make him work and you know, maybe that will hopefully tire him out on the offensive side where he's maybe not as potent. I don't know that that will actually happen, but I think it's something making an attempt to do, you know, at different points throughout the course of the series, because I'd much rather lose this series if I'm Indiana, you know, with Jason Williams and ched Holm Grant and guys like that, you know, going off as opposed to Esga doing his MVP dance on me kind of throughout the course of those other game series. So they got to make ishe work on the defensive side of the basketball as well, And I think they have enough depth in guys and this will they be able to do that. Not necessarily great one on one guys, I don't think them hard and the Smith are these guys you know, just try to take you off the trouble per se. But again, you know, putting him putting is sha in action with whoever he's guarding, because I think he's going to be guarding probably the lesser of the offensive. Uh, you know, stars if you frow Ondianiana side, but you got to get him involved one way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, all right, seaw real quick, and then we have to make our predictions. Who is your reigin maker for both the Pacers and for the Oklahoma City Thunder Aside from the star players, the SGAs and the Tyrese Halliburtons, who do you feel like has an opportunity need to be a rain maker in this series?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to go back to the aspect of it's two guys for Niana really for me, you know, And I don't want to discredit what TJ McConnell's been able to do in terms of when he comes in and changes the pace for the Pacers, you know, as a backup point guard. But Turner should have a much better series here. Chet and Heartenstein are not They're not Kat. And while you can say that might be good for some reasons, Kat decided that, you know what, Turner, you cannot guard me on the perimeter, like you have to respect my jumper and away. But if I decided to put on the floor, you have no hope. Chet and Heartstein don't have those types of chops. These not off the bounce. So I think Turner can have a more impactful series in this, and then I think conversely on the the other guy on the Indiana side too, I think as aforementioned math room whish, I don't need to kind of really gate that too. So I think those two guys from Niana have to play well. The Pacers are going to you know, make this a long series. And then conversely for okay, see it is not necessarily an offensive thing for me, I think they can they can maintain this same level of defense with Caruso on the floor in case I Wallace on the floor, Like is the defense there's truly no drop off when you know, the the Indiana offensive guys like the top ends and the maxmins kind of come in. Can they still get that same level of defensive production, not from their starters per se. So that's where it's like, it's kind of a tale of two teams really where I think Indiana needs to figure out a way to tap in even more into their offensive chops, which I think is going to be a tough defense. Well, okay see he needs to dig down into what they do best, but their defense, especially with some of their supplemental and auxiliary guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like what I like where you were going with that one.
Speaker 3: I'll just throw in one because you you kind of already mentioned from the Indiana side, I'm gonna go with chet Holmgren for the Oklahoma City Thunder as a rain maker. I really believe that he has an opportunity one to extend Miles Turner if he had if Mos Turner has him, or maybe even Pascal Siakam. I think chet Holmgrim is moving quite you know, nicely. Throughout the course of this NBA Playoffs. He's given you a few twenty something put us point performances hitting the three and then also from a defensive perspective, bro averaging two blocks per game essentially, Like, I just feel like if he is on one and he is really complementing what we're expecting to see from SGA and j Williams, that's going to be a problem for the Indian pacer. This is way too much firepower coming from all aspects, you know, every dynamic of the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So with that being said, Shaw, well you got how many games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm struggling, you know, conventional wisdom and the oddsmaker says, you know, this could be a good series, but maybe not necessarily a long one right, and I think you'd say maybe okay see in five or six because you want to show respect to the pacers or whatever. I don't know, man, I'm just at my I'm at my tipping point. I'm tired. I'm tired of doubting Indiana. I'm not so tired where I'm going to pick them to win the series. But I think they're going to have a better showing in this than many of the odspeakers were giving them. So I'm gonna tip my toe in the waters here and say, okay see in seven, in a in a in an NBA finals and unexpected AMI finals that we didn't expect to be a classic. But I think Indiana is gonna show up prove in a way that many are probably still dotting them a little bit before. But I still got the Thunder winning the NBA Championship. But I'm gonna put okayee in Southern Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, you're gonna have me. You're gonna be hay have me on an island.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. It was that dunk tank.
Speaker 3: Everyone's gonna basically have me just swimming in the waters just by myself, right, Just look, man, I've I've been a fan of the Indiana Pacers as far as their resiliency, what they've shown. And I'm not gonna I'm not gonna pooh poo what they've done to get to this point. I am gonna say, though, I don't know if they're gonna be able to hang with this Oklahoma City Thunder team. I just I'm just watching this team, bro, And you know, forget all of the the oh, you know, just the first championship that you know there since the KD Westbrook and Hardened not forget all all of that. They understand that this is their time. They understand that. I truly feel that they truly understand that. And I think if they don't get into you know, in their own heads, they know that they are really the better team in this in this series. Ultimately, what they cannot afford to do is what the Knicks allowed the Pacers to do. And I told you this, right, do not let the Pacers take one on the road, right, don't let them get one in MSG, because if you do that, it's a wrap.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And not only do they take one, they took it twice, right, they took them twice.
Speaker 1: Okay, Pacers are one of the best teams on the road. That being said, Oklahoma City understands this moment. They are not going to give the Indiana Pacers any level of needed oxygen except for what they can generate on their own. So they're gonna have to work for it. They're not gonna.
Speaker 3: Sit there and you know, be subject to the choke jobs or nothing like that. You're not gonna see that with this OKAC thing. So me shaw, I'm gonna say, OKAYC in six. But man, I really would not be surprised if it's a gentleman's sweep. I really would not be because, to me, defense wins championships, and the Oklahoma City Thunder, to me, have proven throughout this playoffs their defense is for real against the teams that they have been playing against. And I just don't know. Kyle's gonna have to pull out a masterpiece to get these guys to break what the OKC Thunder has basically been thrown out here so far in this NBA Playoffs.
Speaker 2: I have nothing, I have no notes, So I was where my heart really wants to go. But I just feel like.
Speaker 3: It And the only reason why I'm saying that is The key is the first two games in OKC.
Speaker 1: If the Indiana Pacers show that.
Speaker 3: They will hang around, they will throw it right back at OKC, then this is gonna be a long series. But if OKAC goes out and does what they basically have done to teams in those first two games of holding their home court or against teams who are base matched up like them, say like the Minnesota Timberwolves, this will be a quick series because it's just such a it's a tough hill to climb, man, when a team is locked in defensively, you don't have the luxury of turn suddenly just figuring it out of how you're gonna basically stop them from doing what they were able to come out and execute that they've been doing all series long.
Speaker 1: And that's the reason why it's as hard not to buy into that.
Speaker 2: What can ultimately happen, you know, in Indiana's favor is if they can actually run partnsteign yes off the court.
Speaker 3: They've got to run them exactly, they got to run them thin. They have to run run them to the point where you're forcing OKC to have to figure out offensively how to turn things up, which is out of their element. I'm not saying that. Okack again, I'm not saying they can't score. But what I'm saying is they know they don't have to score one hundred and twenty points for them to beat you. So if you're figuring out a way to push them to think that you got to score one hundred and twenty points, you may actually have the edge. And we'll see if the Inana Pacers can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we'll be great to see two great coaches, you know that, and Carlisle, two great point guards, elite guards, and Halliburn and and SGA and role players and supplemental stars and and j Dubb and Chad and Holmgren and like there's just there's a lot of great storylines, the.
Speaker 3: Great This is one of the great team basketball matchups of NBA finals that we have seen in the last seven years. And and I'm glad that one of these teams will deserveably hoist the trophy for the first time, you know, you know, either for the OKC Thunder or at all, like Nana Pacers having not won an NBA championship, right yeah, so uh yeah, not not that I not not the A B A since if they were a BA right, Okay, yeah, so again and the Thunder don't claim the Sonics Championship, so we'll be the first Thunder championship for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, watch this series, fans like, just watch it and and top in. I think it could be better, better than expected, but you know, maybe ultimately the outcome is pretty determined, so to speak. But I think the Spacer's team is going to surprise some folk. Share in the semifinals a little bit too. Shout out to Halliburton, man, and shout out to Holly's did a little bit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, welcome back, man, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Awesome show man, awesome preview, and listen man, we definitely want to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: We appreciate everybody who's been riding with us through this incredible wave of NBA performances and games and playoffs, and now that we're here with the NBA Finals and know we're just that much closer, but hopefully you'll continue to enjoy our ride with us for the baseline. Cali Warren Shall, We appreciate you guys. You know, we do enjoy the NBA Finals and we'll catch up with you next time.