Speaker 1: Are we going to see whether the starmer, prime Ministership, presidency, whatever it is last to the end of this recording.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't it exciting? I mean, it's been like an episode of Dallas or something, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: It's like an episode of Crossroads.
Speaker 3: Do I have to ask you questions about how what the hell is happening? I don't think anyone knows today.
Speaker 2: What is quite fascinating is I was out dry Stone walling today and I was without communications because I am in the deepest dales, and he was quite refreshing. I had no idea. I thought, you know, we could have been prime minister less and I could have been none the wiser or cared less.
Speaker 3: Can we doesn't one takeover from the other? Is that how that works? Can we just be like a non we just be like a captionalist ship at sea?
Speaker 2: Well, we've been a captain of the ship for quite a long while.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I think what it's proving is we are not a real country anymore. We haven't been a real country for a significant amount of time, and I'm starting to think we do actually live in a simulation. Yeah, because this can't be real.
Speaker 2: Italians are starting to watch. You know, Italians now make jokes about you know, people who have lots of girlfriends. You see, who've had more girlfriends in Britain's are prime ministers? Know, it's ridiculous, isn't it like worse than the Italians?
Speaker 1: When the Italians are taking the piss that is. Yeah, there's no coming back from that, really, no, No.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, do you know we've had in Britain We had Margaret Thatcher, John Major, Tony Blair all went through and did about ten years each and then you got this lot. We've had seven prime ministers, seven in four years. Four years this fastic. Well, it'd be seven if if Starmer goes, which looks like are.
Speaker 3: They talking about potentially getting old head back? Apparently someone said that the other day. You know that he's in the he's in the running.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they brought Gordon Brown back, which I thought we had seen the last of Gordon Brown.
Speaker 2: But no, no, he's like, he's back, he's live.
Speaker 3: Brown does not go down well.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So no, it was I don't know, He's The honest answer, Richard, is that I think what might well happen is that this show is about an hour long, so we may by the time it's finished have a new Preme Minister, or by the time it goes live to our patrons on Thursday, we may have a new Preme Minister, or by Friday kiss start and may still be there. I mean it may be that he's actually sat there in ten down in the streets saying I've just got the curtain stub. That was no way I'm going, yeah, it's necessary.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say it's not going to happen to everyone. Yeah, yeah, still there, still there in in weeks to come. I don't know. I just I just feel because there's not really I was looking at the the I was studying the form of the runners and riders, and yeah.
Speaker 1: You've been on poly Market placing bet, haven't you.
Speaker 3: What's tempted? I like the look of old Where's Anderson? No, not that one Wesley Snipes, No, the other the ship one, Wesley Streeting that one. Yeah, but then no one's got any confidence in that feller eva have they?
Speaker 2: No one's got any confidence anything. No one's even got a confidence the farts can be done without soiling their trousers.
Speaker 3: Somebody has described the Wesley Streeting takeover as shipping your pants and then changing your shirt. It it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Seem like badly you do it. You know, if you're lying down at the time, then there maybe collateral damage and the shirt, the shirt might need another go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's probably got somewhere in it.
Speaker 1: Because for context, we're recording this on Tuesday evening, so it's Tuesday, the twelfth of May. It's about quarter to eight now for various reasons, So if you're listening to this on Thursday or Friday, then yes, you know what's already happened, whether it's nothing or whether we're in civil war. And because of the nature of podcasts, you may have picked this up in twenty twenty seven somewhere and this is all history to you. In which case, can somebody cover my shift in the salt mine in the gooleg please, because I don't think I'm going to be able to make it. I've got a I've still got a gammy leg.
Speaker 2: And if anyone is actually going to send me a file in a cake, I like carrot carrots my favorite cake, So thank you very much, and I'm sure that I will fit right in in Pentonville. It'll be fine.
Speaker 3: I'll go for lemon drizzle.
Speaker 2: What with a file? Don't be silly with carrot cakes?
Speaker 3: Round, isn't it? Lemon drizzle you can get in that loaf tin, so like you get a decent sized file as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, what you're mistaken is the fact that the slight metallic tang that would be left behind by a file is canceled out by the carrot. If you have lemon drizzle, it would just be nothing but like a like sucking on lemons because it's a double tang. You know, you've got to think these things through before you put your prison cake requests out there.
Speaker 1: Callum, I'm glad you're back this week, Richard, so we don't have the utter bollocks that we were talking quite in previous episodes where you weren't here.
Speaker 2: Do you know, I have been very good. I always listen and Country Slime when it comes out on a Thursday. Well, I see, I do you know, because I just like.
Speaker 3: To hear I'm not on it. I quite like listening to you too.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm glad that's at least one of one of you that does.
Speaker 1: I've never listened back to any one of our episodes.
Speaker 2: That's a lie. Really, I'm sure there must be one or two. I mean, have we've done that.
Speaker 1: We're into the eighties.
Speaker 2: He's like, that's I mean, honestly, we've been. This podcast has been going longer than the Prime Minister and the one before that, and the one before that and the one before that. That's pretty cool. Really, you think, yes, where have you been me? All right, I'll tell you where I am. I've been on my adventures. I have been a bit like on my rural Rides. It's fantastic, right right, dating app we all need. No there's a there's a wonderful author who people might be surprised that I like, called William Cobbitt And William COBBITTT was a writer in the sort of late late eighteenth early nineteenth centuries, and he was a rural writer and a radical MP. They say that he was the first literally lefty MP that we had, and he looked after the rural paw and stood up for their rights and whatnot. And he did this book called Rural Rides where he basically went around largely the south of England and commenting upon what he saw. And I'm sort of doing that at the moment, but I'm up at the moment up north. So I am currently researching for my next book. And earlier in the week I was looking at read beds, which were fantastic. So I was looking at read cutter and how reed beds are managed, and bittens and cranes and marsh harriers and bearded tits and all sorts of fantastic things at RSPB Lake and heath. And now I am sad looking out at the beautiful scenery of the And today I have been giving dry stone with a lovely chap here who owns an estate, who was showing me how to repair a dry stone wall. So I've got my hands dirty and it's sort of a bit like hedge laying, but with stone and no bill hooks or chainsaws. So I've been finding out things I knew nothing about and I now do know about them.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me is that what's the skill set needed for? Is it technique? Is it broad strength?
Speaker 1: VI?
Speaker 3: Is it material knowledge?
Speaker 2: What's the fascinating making? Right? Okay? So the dry stone wall is obviously it depends upon the stone that's local. So I've been between two dales and where I am at the moment there is limestone and there is also some slightly frangible sort of sandstone, and it depends what the stone is like in that local area. Because of course they didn't lug all these stones from down the bottom up to the top. They used a stone. Now, the stone walls there were no because okay, here's hold the front page, climate change denial time. It used to be a lot warmer here right in the Dales. So therefore a lot of the uplands weren't actually all covered in trees. They may have been at some point, but they were actually arable land. And so to make arable land work you have to be stone it. So they'd moved the stones out of this field so they could grow crops as well as Gray's livestock here, but to graze crops. So they moved the stones, and they thought, what's a good way of going and fencing in this livestock. You aren't going to grow hedges up here because it's too high. So what did they do. They used all those stones that they pulled out to the ground to start building dry stone walls. So I was stood today next to a Bronze age dry stone wall, which this one i'd actually tumbled down, But there's miles of them, and on this farm that I'm on, there's eighty miles eight zero miles of dry stone wall. And basically, if you don't repair a dry stone wall pretty damn quick, they start tumbling down very quickly. Then you've got a major job to do. And there are very big shortage of dry stone wallers. Most of the farmers do their own repairs, but you only learn from your father. So if you lose a generation out of farming they decide that they want to go into the game or something like that, the skill set dies. So there's all these dry stone walls and there's such an important part of this landscape, both you know, physically, historically, ecologically, and also of tourism. People just look at them. And I went into a tea shop today and twenty one different postcards on the wall, eighteen of those twenty one of all sort of showing dry stone walls. Yeh, get this, Richard? So I know that in Wales, yes, I get this. I know in Wales that the hedging grant is slightly lower than it is in England. Right, but get this, how much do you think that DEFRA will pay you to repair a dry stone wall in England. What do you how much do you think do you think of per meter per meter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, twelve pounds eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Callum, callum. How much do you think that a dry stone will great big lumps of stone that you've got to go and try and put back up a cultural and historical and ecological icon of the Dales? How much.
Speaker 3: The tiles on my floor cost? Sixty pounds per square meter?
Speaker 2: Delay? Yeah, that's good, that's good. That's good metric.
Speaker 3: That's my kitchen floor. So I'm going to say what he should be worth. It's probably one hundred pounds a square meter. Bear in mind that it's not as easy as putting some tile adhesive and slapping a tile on the top. So final answer, one hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: Okay. Amy has come in to the chat and she has said six pounds forty nine, which is the SFI price. So six pounds forty nine per meter bearing them on the head is thirteen pounds fifty two. But if you're still doing it and you're actually stuck in a higher level stewardship grant, it's thirty pence thirty p that's yes, thirty p per meter is what his Majesty's government think it's worth for someone as highly skilled as a waller to go and pay them via that thirty p.
Speaker 1: How many minutes is that on minimum wage?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, here's an interesting thing to do. We timed it, so we repaired a bit of wall which was about two meters wide. Sixty p's worth took skilled waller an hour. So there we go. That's that's how much the state values the uplands thirty p. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is there not some kind of lawsuit that we can all get involved in where we take whoever this is to court for slave labor?
Speaker 2: We just want to go and take them out. So well, obviously the farmers are having to pay out their own pocket. And it's one of the classic things that I am seeing in the research for this book is I'm looking at all these amazing skilled people who create incredible habitats and basically they're just ignored because they're just scum as far as politicians are concerned. And it's an eye opener coming here, just as much as it was an eye opener going to read beds, and I'm sure it will be an eye opener and countless of these things. So I'm very lucky to be doing what I'm doing at the moment, because I'm meeting lovely people who have highly skilled, very practical and they just wander around shaking their heads going oh yeah, but shit really listens it. But they're just quite pragmatic that their their lives are treated as thirty p a meter.
Speaker 1: It's this weird thing about the uplands of particularly. Just take England on its own. You draw a line that comes across from like Blackpool and just sort of skirts the top of Manchester and goes across to up a bit and maybe past York and to the coast there. Almost everything north of there is upland farming. Isn't every rural bit of it is upland farming. So it's the top bit of the weather map. It's just ignored entirely in terms. Because there was a thing recently for looking at upland farms that the DEFRA site won't take the calculations for the acreage of shared or tenanted upland grazing.
Speaker 2: No, correct, it won't.
Speaker 1: Take that huge acreage because it just says, oh you must be basically, or the Duke of Westminster if your graze on the open fell.
Speaker 2: It's a very bizarre way to run a country because I mean, but you're right, it's only when you come up here that you realize of what are forgotten but also thoroughly bullied part of Britain. It is because everyone wants a piece of the uplands. They all think that they know best, They all think that they and that they will say all sorts of things. I mean the thing that the amount of wildlife I've seen up here is phenomenal. I mean, you want curlews, that's they're up they're here. You know, they're literally getting mobbed by curlies. You want peewits, Yeah, that's where pee wits are. You want wheat tears, You want red grouse, you want black grouse, you want birds prey, They're all here. I mean that literally, the place is buzzing. You know, you went up, the pair of you, up to to to the more to watch the black grouse leg. You know what it's like up there.
Speaker 3: No shortage of wildlife up there.
Speaker 2: No which And you then go and start asking yourself what is it?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What what have they got? And then you twig. Only when you come up here you go, oh I get it. No one lives here. So what you're going to do is you're going to go and bully them. And because quite often very wealthy men own the land but everyone else is working, you're going to try and hurt the wealthy men by ruining the lives of all these working class people. I see right, Okay, yes, that's how it works. In great well done.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to put together myn ex scribehound article. And so you know, you're wrestling with a sort of a how do I word this? And it's not a left versus right thing? Politics isn't that anymore. And it's sort of particularly this campaigning type of politics. You can split it down into at least one side of it is that type of person, the sort of person who would say, you know that all the uplands are somehow chemicals soaked wastelands. They're the sort of person who looks at every argument and says, okay, on this argument, does one side of the argument have more power in my perception of the world than the other? If so, then the person with more power must be evil. Yeah, And that's that's everything in their life comes down to. That is, does one person have more power than the other on this, okay, Well, the person I perceive to have less power is always in the right no matter what. That's kind of how a lot of this discourse goes. And you look at that and go, oh, it's bat shit. Oh right, I can't work with that because you can't convince somebody out of that.
Speaker 2: No, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: And the Uplands bit is really because you're coming. You're coming here, I am, and I'm introducing you to some of my my yocal friends who are both listening to this I think, so hopefully recognize yourselves.
Speaker 2: Be gentle with me.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to take you as well to an area of outstanding naturally national beauty, or rather no natural beauty, not national beauty, now a national landscape. But I'm going to take you to the car park of one of those, because it's high on upland and it used to be sheep farming. It used to be shooting at one point as well, and now it's there for recreation. And we're going to sit upon the hillside and get covered in ticks and sit there with thermal imaging and not see anything apart from mountain bikers and dogs.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's the only wildlife we'll see over huge acreages.
Speaker 3: Is that because just because of people.
Speaker 1: People, because the land juice has changed to recreation is the primary use for it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to just chat myself straight into a similar observation and it's going to divert wildly into into what I want to say.
Speaker 2: Now for.
Speaker 1: Good, let's make this a calum show.
Speaker 3: I took the hicic thermal out the other day and I saw two foxes and three cubs in a den down the back of someone's garden. So this is quite a nice little area. But they grazed horses on there. They've got lots of gypsy horses and there's now there's lots of them. They're they're tethered up and they get them and they move them every so often. And there's lots of horses on there. And there's there's some wildlife. The pond of which I spoke about probably a couple of episodes Ago offers a great habitat for wildlife and an old resident goose somewhere. He had a Pretto loves resident Geeze. He had a Doris somewhere, and they had three three goslins on the pond and not about three nights ago, I come out, had the hick fermal and I watched three of the fox cubs playing and two foxes and then on the opposite side of the field another fire, which I assume I don't really know much about the fox patterns, but like I guess the male probably goes out and has a little hunt around while the cubs and male.
Speaker 2: Has nothing to do with the rearing of cubs really, so that no, he's coming around trying to mate with the vixen because she comes into season more or less after she's.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid the animals a farthing Wood was not a documentary.
Speaker 2: No, they are absent tee fathers.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's difficult to spot that just from a simple observation though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because there was there was another fox, or there was two foxes, I assume.
Speaker 2: He was trying to go and mate with the with the vixen who is feeding those.
Speaker 3: Cubs, right, Yeah, so I'm observing so in the space of what three hundred meters a large number of foxes. We've got like seven foxes in three hundred meters, which is quite a lot. And then I come I come along the next day and this is only a small field as well, come along the next day and all the goslings are now gone. They've taken all three of them. So we get lovely one lot of wildlife and the you don't know, it's the fox that took them. Could have been any number of things, but you get one. One crack at the whip and that's it. It's gone. And as a result you go there, you see deer that end up coming out of the wood because they've got nothing to feed on in the wood into into the field and they graze on the field. And then you've got the apex predator that is the fox, and then not a lot else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, probably some probably some jack doors, a few cruise map pis absolutely loads.
Speaker 3: To jack doors and crash.
Speaker 1: Miso predators.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's utterly pants, isn't it utterly pants?
Speaker 1: This is such the problem we have in the UK that we don't have the big apex predators. And no, that is not an endorsement of releasing wolves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get some links in there.
Speaker 1: Although I do think releasing wolves into the center of London might be quite good fun. We have all the sort of the middling predators which are generalists and they'll eat everything and when they get off one species or go on to another, which means they quite like being around humans because we leave a lot of waste behind and create a lot of food opportunities, and they can sustain numbers on anything. The problem is that anything is all of our songbirds, all of our red listed species, or everything that's smaller than them. And this is one of the problems of there's not good wildlife area and bad wildlife area. It's you will have wildlife in most places. It's just what do you want? What do we want for the country, what do we want to live here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's that question is always answered by management, and management involves people out there doing things which is often not well liked because it's not nature being left alone.
Speaker 2: Holy And I think one of the interesting things that I discovered when I was doing my bitten research and then to read BEDS is that I went to one supposedly exemplary one of the oldest nature reserves in the southern half of Britain, and it was devoid of many of the red listed species, and because of the way they managed it in a rewilding model, it was devoid. Interestingly, an RSPB similar habitat after the same species was hooching with these red listed species, I mean the reddest of red listed species, and when it comes to wetland birds, and that's because they did exactly a three legged stool form of management, i e. That they built superb habitat, they had exemplary food sources, and as they say, if you'd want a freedom of information request, you can see all their predator control records. Is they control foxes, which are the main predator for these two red listed species. You can mitigate against it because they keep this wetland wet, but they can still get there. And in the case of the crane, which they've got, which they didn't have to reintroduce, they built the habitat and the crane came. But they have a gestation period of three months for their eggs. Three months. That's ridiculously long for a bird. And they laid two eggs and usually only one will hatch. So therefore, if you have a fox pre date one crane nest, you've basically stopped that productivity for an entire year. So therefore the RSPB assessed it, and they probably assessed it far more than possibly we would do. But they have to because of the situation. Now they don't hide that they do this, but they equally so don't overly advertise it. And I think that's a shame because they have got the wildlife. You know, people slag off the RSPB showing me the birds. Okay, go to Lake and heath Fen and you will see them. It's remarkable. But they're got them because they have done the three legged stool. So I mean, hats off to the RSPB. They have done something. Just a shame that they're not actually quite ballsy enough at their head office level to say this is how we succeeded here because they slightly hide one leg of the stool, but they do it, and you know, the proof of the pudding is there for all to see. And if you want to see a pristine wetland and managed to perfection, Lake and Heathen is a place to go.
Speaker 3: These RAF bases seem to be absolutely stuff with wildlife.
Speaker 2: Curlews yeah everywhere if you want. I was approached actually about ten years ago by someone to do a curlew reintroduction project at Fleet Barn, I think, and they were getting because basically get this, you know, the curlew is an endangered threatened species. Well, the problem is curlews love the great big grassy areas by airports and raf places. Yeah, well the problem is a curlew's a pretty big bird and jets and big birds do not go very well together, so it's quite a sizeable airport in the south east of England was getting rid of curlews because they constituted a danger to life because they didn't want them nesting there. And someone said, would you go and try a curly you restarting project at flea Bomb and then we assessed him. We thought, no, it's not actually going to fit into the plan. But yeah, I mean, you know, so when you look at species reintroductions and stuff like that or recovery projects, is that you know. I'm surely everybody who probably is jumping on their flight to lands a rotty doesn't realize that you're doing so at the expense of the poor old curlews had his egg salted because you might possibly fly into the air bus and go and cause it to crash down in a fiery ball of flame.
Speaker 1: I have a friend who his full time job, he works for the mod and he basically spends a third of a day at one airfield, a third of a day at another airfield, and just moves between this little triangle of airfield. Wouldn't say where it is, but anyone who knows where the three airfields are close to each other. And his whole job is either to shoot things away and if they don't shoo away, to shoot them. And that's and that is you know, that is at the behest of the government, and it's for public, so it's actually a matter of national resilience and defense.
Speaker 3: They have something similar with with deer as well. They have like a if there's like a deer near a motorway that that looks like it could cause an accident, they send.
Speaker 1: Looks a bit shifty a dispatch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's also I met a guy who worked for he works on behalf of Woman, I think it was, and his job was not only to shoot things that could potentially escape, but he had high calibers so he could take a rhino out should the eventuality happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's interesting, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know somebody who has got a very exotic caliber, the sort of thing. It's one of those guns that looks like a shotgun, but it's actually a rifle. It's just a double barreled rifle because you really hope you don't need the second barrel, and he has that because there are a bison on the estate. And if a bison gets out, the first call is to him, not to the farm manager or anything else like that. It's X person down there to try and take out this bison that's got a head the size of a fridge.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's never happened, but just imagine that situation. You know that you could drive round with rhinos at the Woburn Safari Park thing. You can drive round, but like if one escaped to.
Speaker 1: This our day out, we should do it.
Speaker 2: It's good shooting. I'm shooting tiger whereabouts.
Speaker 3: Well I'm not sure you're allowed to shoot them, but I've just been informed by Eyes in the Sky Artie Pie, and elephant has escaped from Chester Zoo. What has escaped? Not today, but in a period of time, once upon a time an elephant scap.
Speaker 1: It's under the bypass is where they shot it. They buried it there.
Speaker 2: I believe there is.
Speaker 1: I believe, come on, Richard, keep power through.
Speaker 2: I believe that there is currently on the run a nine month old female cappy bara that called Samba.
Speaker 3: I saw the memes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cappy Barra on the run, running.
Speaker 2: Numerous sightings near the river, itching and surrounding villages. She remains at large with searches involving thermal drones, specialist dog units, and food baited traps. Now, I think it's quite an interesting thing. So they put all this resource into trying to recap a samba, the kappy bara, but Samba is called. Yes, it's going to be quite interesting actually because after the King's speech apparently it's going to be released that in the king speech, and I don't know how he's going to keep a straight face doing this.
Speaker 3: But Labor, if whoever the prime minister at the time is Samba is going to be our new prime minister.
Speaker 2: Kappy Barra would probably make a better fist, make a better fist of it, you know than Starmer.
Speaker 1: I mean, were chilled out.
Speaker 2: They don't even have to go and change any initials, do they. You know, it's brilliant. But I'm just thinking they have used dogs to try and track Samba, which after the King's speech will soon be illegal because that is using a dog or dogs to track the scent of a live animal. So therefore, under the new legislation they want to bring in for trial hunting, then Samba will stay free forever courtesy of labor. So there you go. These things have consequences. Things have consequences.
Speaker 1: Yes, as we were discussing weeks ago when we were in that little WhatsApp group of journalists talking about this, one of the things that might fall afoul of this is search and rescue dogs and human remain detection dogs. Right, So if you want, if you want to detect train a dog to search for human remains, well, you know they use these for like earthquakes and things like that, so it's you know, body recovery. Basically, it's pretty grim, but it is a thing that has to happen. You can't readily get access to decomposing human flesh to train the animal on for scent. So the way they do it is they use pig carcasses as an analogue of human flesh, right, And it's the thing of training dogs on animal scent is you have to now have a very interesting explanation as to why you're doing that, because you're not going to be tracking a live animal. On the end, of it. You could be tracking a dead animal and these it's already it's definitely a thing for deer tracking dogs. That's going to be a big problem there because if you're tracking a wounded deer or something that's run off from a vehicle incident or something like that on the eighth on they or something. Yeah, so it's going to have all sorts of unintended consequences that we won't find out from for months, years, maybe from all of these stupid laws I see.
Speaker 2: So basically, we can no longer go and recover Samba, the Kappibara, we can no longer find dead or very nearly dead people, and we can't go and track deer that have been injured and are lying in pain waiting for one of foxes to come and help it across back across the road. It's with this, I don't think they've thought this through.
Speaker 3: Surely there'll be exemptions.
Speaker 2: Well that would, but you see, then there will be protesters who will say they're just going to use this as an exemption law. Because currently as it stands on Xmore and I think still the Quantox, they still they've admitted the fact that the stag hounds are still the only way to control the deer there. So therefore, rather than using a whole pack, they used two because that's within the law. But it's the only way you can control the red deer herds there because basically it's open access. You know that you have right to roam across xmore and the quantox. So therefore they use these hands. So that's going to get removed. I mean, I don't quite see how they're going to make these exemptions because a the people who don't want to see trail hunting anymore have always said the trail hunting is just a mask for illegal hunting activity. And Secondly, every single exemption that you have to make in a piece of legislation requires that piece of legislation or that little caveat in there, to be individually researched by a bunch of legal people to go and put it in to make sure it works. So the hunting trail hunting ban, which sounds on paper just to be a sort of oh yes, King speech done, is actually going to cost millions and pond millions of pounds. And then the first time that anyone goes out and says I'm going to go and try and track this deer because I think I shot it, got shot it, I can't find it and get seen, and then they have to call them. It's going to cost it's basically to stop people chasing a bit of fox piss soaked rag about the place is going to cost about one aircraft carrier. This is ridiculous, dear, as.
Speaker 1: You can see from the very recent May local elections, by the fact the massive landslide of Reform, who you know have mixed opinions on this podcast about them, but we are a broad political church here. You can see from the fact that Reform took that landslide, then Reformer clearly the party who were trying to ban trail hunting, because that's what the public.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: It's the either way. So it's maybe not as much. Maybe all this stuff that is going to cost huge amounts of money is only of interest to a few people, and there are much more pressing issues that people keep wanting to be fixed which are just being completely ignored. So maybe we aren't a real country.
Speaker 2: I think you're correct from what you said from the opening is we aren't really a real country. And what has happened is that people are just throwing dead so many dead cats around, which of course we can't trail hunt anymore. They're throwing so many dead cats around to just try and avoid the public's gaze of the fact that we aren't a real country, that it's just all falling to bits. I mean, so, perhaps Callum's suggestion that Samba the kappy Bara for prime minister, we could start that campaign right now, you know, as an interim prime minister. Until twenty twenty nine, Britain has voted in a cappy barra. At least it would give the Italians genuinely something to laugh at, because you want to believe what the English and Dunea's time they hear forty in a cappy bar don't Is that how Italians speak.
Speaker 3: As I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, they do in.
Speaker 1: Suffolk with the lettuce versus list trust thing which lasts longer? Is this lettuce? Or yeah, so can we do? Which lasts longer? Dharma as prime minister or Samba the Kapabara out on the run?
Speaker 2: Who's going to be captured? Thrown back in a cage? First?
Speaker 3: Yeah, back on, back, back where they belong. Gordon Brown or.
Speaker 1: Well, Gordon Brown was the sort of the the mid season sort of twist in the tail. Wasn't he that no one expected him to come back? No, Harriet Harmony, Yes, Harriet Harmon has never supported anything terrible in her life.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Anyway, research that yourselves, people, we've had we have had a piece from one of our forestry listeners, whether we can talk about this so last year and I think I think it's the second one they've done, but this is the Raal Forestry. So they did their breaking Point survey, which is an anonymous survey goes out to people contractors working in the forestry industry, and it's basically, how do you feel about certain things? How do you feel about the way safety is managed in forestry? How do you feel about the way that the public perceives you? What are the things that are stressing you out? What do you feel good about? What do you feel bad about? And it's quite an interesting list of questions, and we're going to link out to it in the show notes. You can go and read it yourself. But it's a very very interesting report. So the report came out a little while ago, but it's starting to get a bit more traction now and I've got some some sort of takeaways here because it's the sort of too long, didn't read summary of this is things aren't going well in the woods with the chainsaw people. And it's not just like everything like forestry is basically tree farming and everything's a bit rough. It's forestry is really trouble, and particularly forestry contractors. It's looks like there's there's progress has been made in sort of structure in structuring forestry and making it so that there is a better structure for who's doing what and where and how how you work with a landowner and how you work with the agencies and things and stuff like safety and training. And there are few unqualified well basically no one unqualified out there now should be working. But people are up to date on the qualifications and working safely. It's not transforming though, over into people feeling better about the industry. And the big one is financial insecurity, which I mean neither Richard and I really work in forestry, but we get paid by the same landowners. And you know, we were talking about MPs earlier. I think it would it should be that all MPs get paid any you know, whether whether it's their salary or whether it's their sort of their stipend that they get for various things. They should be paid that at the same interval that the Crown Estate pays contractors, the same sort of delay between it, because anyone who's ever tried to be paid by large landowners, particularly the government ones, it can take weeks, months and querying about small things or it just gets lost gets lost in there. So you've got that. But meanwhile you've got very expensive machines that need to keep turning and keep burning fuel in order to pay off their monthly fee. Because often again a bit like farming, these huge machines are at least or you're paying them, you're paying them down. You've got to pay out thousands and thousands of pounds whether it leaves the yard or not. So you've got to keep working, but you've got to get the money back in for the work you were doing, and you can't be chasing the money. So financial insecurity is a big one, because also you've got to pay the people working on the ground, and the stress trickles downwards just that the money should. And mental health strain is another one as well, because that's a combination of you doing something dangerous in the middle of nowhere, you're not sure why you're doing it because the country doesn't seem to appreciate it, the public doesn't seem to appreciate it, and you're working for somebody who maybe is focused on other things and that, Yeah, that's one of the big things from this.
Speaker 3: We've got that forestry episode, which gives you a pretty good picture of what it's like to be what the public perception is of forestry and what the realities of actually doing forestry is like. So that will give you a much better picture of if you go back and listen to that one, much better a picture of where forestry people are at, so you can understand and it is. Yeah, there's certain jobs that that you do it because you love it. But it shouldn't be as hard as it is. It shouldn't be, you know, there should be you should pay people like everybody else gets paid, just because it has to go through one place and go for another. And the structures, yeah, odd shouldn't mean that they have to have cash flow issues and stuff like that. You know, we know what it's like to be self employed and stress about stress, stress about everything. As as all of us are.
Speaker 1: Sent four emails today saying could you pretty please pay that invoice for all that work idea that you're ignoring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my French robot always helped me do that.
Speaker 2: Today, I think one of the biggest challenges that as well, that is slightly under the radar, is that and we can see this from our many forestry people who are patrons of country Slide and you see them on if they post something on x or they post something on God Forbid Blue Sky, which some of them, the masochists go on. Is that just this sheer amount of abuse that they get just for doing their job, because the default setting of people who most people who give it a toss about woods is that the people who give a toss about woods think that the moment you start a chainsaw, it's the sort of it's essentially abuse. So therefore they're getting a load of shit from people who know nothing about what they're doing, the why, the positives, and so therefore not only they have indigunza this is what I do, but if they go and show their work off, people are basically saying, well, that's awful. You're worse than pole pot for doing that. So it compounds all of the real world issues by the time that social media, if you do it right, is reaching out and saying I'm doing this, what do you think of this? Do you like it? And you know, if you were I don't know, a sculptor, you're going to put something out. Most people aren't so callous unless you're sort of Dianamal troll to go and say that's crap. It looks nothing like a penguin. I don't know, I'm just the first bird that sprung to mind. But if you go and cut a tree down, you get forty three supposed experts telling you're either doing it wrong or saying that your hitler. Yeah, it's pretty shit, really, isn't it?
Speaker 1: And what we see it's weirdly. It's if we were a better podcast would have planned this out to be circular in our thoughts, but no, we're not. It just happens randomly. It's this thing of people see a space and they expect it to do all of the things at the same time, and it can't because one of those things counteracts the other. So plantations, plantation, woodland, deer go through it, foxes love it. You get some stuff in the canopy, but it's not the same as say one of the woodlands the edge of Flea Barn or somewhere on Wick and Vineyard or something. You know, one of the woodlands there has been managed for centuries. It's a tree bank. It's a place you've put some trees down. They've turned it into big woody bits, and then you'll go through and you can cut them down and make things from those big woody bits. After twenty thirty forty to fifty years. It was always intended to be cut down. It wasn't intended as a wildlife reserve. But you can have it somewhere else that could be that. But then you can't make that somewhere that you go for you turn into a paintball center or a mountain pipe place, or make it the busiest woodland just outside of the M twenty five, because it won't be great for wildlife. Then you've got to have somewhere for the people, somewhere to do the industry bit and somewhere to have wildlife. And if it's a bit of an overlap, fine. This is the problem with how people see woodlands though they see them as these places where you should do everything. And I kind of blame the early twentieth century Aamion JRR. Tolkien sort of view of woodlands. Woodland, yea forest is this big mysterious wilds and have adventures and things. Yes, but we cut all of those down for World War One to make pit props and stuff and duckboards for the trenches. So that's why the Forestry Commission was formed in the nineteen twenties. The first of the Forestry Commission planted, was not harvested until the nineteen thirties. That was nineteen forties fifties, and then they planted it again, and then that was harvested in the seventies and eighties, and then a lot of it was sold off and that's where we are now. But all all of those things were planted and then sat and harvested to make things from And we've just was it yesterday day before in nationalized British steel, because it is now finally realized that actually making raw materials in your own place is actually quite a good idea rather than relying on maybe importing it from somebody you may or may not be at war within the future. Let's through that were trees.
Speaker 2: The fascinating thing with with Betford Forest, you know that was planted on the poorest land that they could find. And so Thetford Forest. Now people would be thinking, oh, isn't this wonderful, But like I say, it was planted as a working wood forestry because it was there to replace those the timber that we had used in the First World War. And they planted it in the Brecks because it was cheap. It was the cheapest land and it actually belonged to a top and it belonged to an impoverished off and they said, we're going to take this off you and whether you like it or not, you are going to have Thetford Forest place there. And the gray partridge went, this is shit. And so the largest head of gray partridge in the UK was there in the Brex. It was perfect for them because you couldn't farm it as such. It was heath, it was wild heath, and I went, I was going to play on that. And I saw the same repeating pattern here. I looked out over the Dales today and I keep hearing all these people saying, we've got plant trees all over there because they have this misty eyed vision of the wild, wild wood. And I stood today alongside a bronze age stone wall, right and that was part of this absolute spider's web of stone walls is around here, which indicates that this place in the Dales here has been farmed in much the same way as it is still farmed now since neolithic times. Right, And somebody has gone because we, like we've read Winnie the Pooh, we want to have the wildwood there. And so you're going completely pissing all over four thousand years of human history and evolution because some dickhead thought that the fricking animals of farthing Wood, Winnie the Pooh and other assorted children's books written at the turn of the twentieth century were a how to guide to manage the landscape. It's to forget what human beings are. We are, yes, we are interventionists, but the woodsman is a creator as much as a destroyer, and certainly a curator of places. I feel sorry for those guys because I think that people are very quick to go and say, oh, you trans have you got mental health challenges because of all the nasty people being nasty to you. Let's go and just start a political party called the Greens, and we're going to look after you. And you go, what you're a forester and you've got mental health problems because everyone's a wanker to you on Twitter and no one pays you one time, and your kit's really expensive. You can't get everything because we're the Green Party.
Speaker 1: It's shit.
Speaker 2: Tree, yeah, tree murdering bastard. You get all you deserve. Really weird, isn't it. It is?
Speaker 1: And we're not even it's not even an eco left versus sort of sensible working man on the land thing. You even the right or the old Right or the New Right or whatever they frig the cord now they don't seem to really understand that as well. Okay, so this is my argument for it. This is a national defense, a national resilience issue, just like food, just like energy, just like security of borders, just like all of these other things. Timber is really useful. You can take it as a raw material, store it for a long time, stack it really high, it just sits there, and then when you need to make it into stuff, you can turn it into useful products really really quickly, and make stuff from it really quickly, temporary, move it around the country. It's great. We don't have enough saw mills, we don't have enough small saw mills certainly that used to handle all this stuff, so we need more of those. It's a bit like the Avatar issue for livestock farming and the saw mills that we do have, the really big processors. They are the equivalent of the supermarkets in farming. They have got used to this global market of stuff and the most important thing for them is can they supply the end product to the consumer as quickly as possible, in which case they don't care where it comes from. They don't care whether it comes from Canada, it comes from Scandinavia, comes from China, It doesn't really matter. As long as they can get the stuff in and use it, then they don't care whether it's actually coming from a local place, which is why you need a higher level body to say, Okay, strategically, what are we doing with timber? Do we have enough people working in this industry all of this stuff? So that's yeah, that's my polemic, that's my argument. But go and read this breaking point survey. It's it's very interesting. It's not the most cheerful.
Speaker 2: Ready, no, and show a bit of love, or better still, just show a bit of understanding. You know, I think that some of the guys tried to do this sort of positive forestry then on social media, which was a noble effort, but I doubt that many people will actually look at it positively because they if they inhabit the worlds of social media, most of them have already made up their minds that they are negative about forestry, and you won't change my mind. It's an entrenched view point, like an entrenched viewpoint about many. I wrote a piece for the Critic that came out last week started this month, and I was asking the question, you know, our reform actually the New Green Party because they and it was it wasn't a puff piece for the Reform UK Party. What it was was asking the question is that if you support farming and you buy the point that if you make farming in the black, then the countryside can be green because it's got trickled down. And I thought that's quite good. And the editor, who is a very intelligent man, far more intelligent than us three, he said, that's a really balanced thing. He said, it's actually, you know, it's food for thought. I put it up there and there is these rabid idiots because it had the word reforming. I think that's literally what they just did and went, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like white blood cells responding to an infection.
Speaker 2: Just just read things, expand your mind and if you disagree, fine, if you disagree, come back with a yeah, a sensible counterpoint.
Speaker 1: So I think that's a It's a good way to end this main show. Sadly, our co host Richard.
Speaker 2: Needs to leave. Yes, I'm very sorry for the after show.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's this ball that you're heading to. Is it looks quite fancy because the costume choice you have here on camera is is bold. I think the pink and the line at the same time is I don't know if you can put it off. It's the Cod Peace challenge really.
Speaker 2: You know, look I saw what Zach Polanski was wearing and then said I want a bit of that. So you know it's it's.
Speaker 3: Cod Peace, Cod Peace or Cod Price Cod Time high today.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Richard is off to his northern version of the end scenes of Eyes Wide Shirts. Yes, except involves more dry stone walling and maybe a curview, and Callum and I go off to the after show.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, everybody, Goodbye.