Speaker 1: Box thirty one and Chief meteorologist Dave Frasier. Dave, we're going to talk about the weather in just a second, but I know you worked in Cincinnati, so I have got to share this horrifying story with you before we go any further.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Being Cincinnati where you live there, you know about Greater's ice Cream of course because they're everywhere if through Ohio. And you of course know about Skyline Chili, did you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Met neither, but now there is a limited addition Greaters Skyline Spice ice Cream.
Speaker 2: And it has Wayster crackers in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll pass that. I will pass.
Speaker 2: That's what I said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard you over the years challenge a Rod to try things. I'll let Arod try that.
Speaker 1: Well, they do say the ice cream really just tastes like cinnamon and nutmeg, which neither have a place in chili, but in ice cream. Maybe I don't know, but yeah that I saw A listener sent that to me and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, who anyway, So let's talk about this storm tomorrow. We look it at. What kind of storm is this? Where's it coming from?
Speaker 4: This is you know every winter season there are at least a minimum of two, maybe three storms that become very, very challenging from a standard from forecasting, and this is one of them.
Speaker 3: And the reason for that is because of the placement of the storm in southern Colorado. Denver is just on the northern fringe, and so any wabble in that northern line of snow makes a difference between who gets it and who doesn't, and there will be a harsh cut up. I was just telling a rod this. Literally, on the south and east sides of the Metro, you can be driving and then all of a sudden, run into a couple inches of snow. You'll go from nothing to a couple inches. So that wobble factor is the biggest challenge we're dealing with right now. I'm sitting here scratching my head looking at it. I have stuff that goes the city of Denver might see some snow showers to the city of Denver gets nothing. I can see Castle Rock maybe getting up to an inch, but I also have computer models to get castle Rock nothing. And then you drive east of Castle Rock towards Kyowa and there's four inches of snow. So I would just tell any of your listeners you know, if you live from Denver to say Aurora, you're probably going to see some snow. I don't know that your morning commuter is going to be impacted. I think the airport is on the extreme northern fringe of seeing some light snow showers with minimal to no accumulation. But as you go south and east of there. So I would tell you if you live in Castle Rock, if you live down south towards Parker driving through the gap on the south side of I twenty five, be prepared tomorrow morning. Think of Lincoln going east to Parker RidgeGate Road, Hess Road. They could have snow on them and it could be a little slick in the morning. But there's also a chance that that snow line moves just east of there and you may have to go all the way out to Linemen to find snow. So I would just say to people be prepared on the southeast side and watch the forecast. It is going to change because of that wobble factor.
Speaker 1: So what you're telling me is we got a chance, there's a chance.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is the chances go like we've got a twenty to thirty percent chance, a low chance that Denver, the city see snow, but that chance ramps up to eighty to one hundred percent as you go farther south and east, So it really is going to be about placement, and the center of this storm needs to be watched. A couple other things about it quickly. It's a southern storm, and it's a Pacific storm, which means it doesn't have a lot of cold air, so some of you may see a little bit of brain. And the overall impact of the roads is only going to be for several hours through the morning commute. After that, the sun's going to come out. We're going to be forty five degrees and anything that Paul's is going to melt.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, that's what I want to hear.
Speaker 1: We're going back to like the sixties next week, aren't we.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got as soon as this storm moves out tomorrow, I'm going fifty seven on Friday, fifty nine Saturday, sixty, sixty two on Sunday, and still there, sixty on Monday, and then night Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Wednesday, we'll get a little weak cold front that kind of backs in and we'll trim the temperatures back into the forties, which is which is seasonal and listen, we're doing great. I don't know if I caught up with you last time, because we had the snow over this past weekend. We've got thirteen point three inches of snow. We are the fourteenth snowiest January on record, also coming in as the fifteenth coldest. And if you remember, back in December we talked about the long range outlook, what was it? Dry and water? Yeah? Why didn't happen? Did not happen?
Speaker 1: I mean, Dave, I know people like to make fun of meteorologists, like you're wrong half the time or whatever, But I mean, do you ever just like kind of want to just slap your forehead and go, okay, you know, okay, God, I'm humbled.
Speaker 2: You know, I get it.
Speaker 1: We're just guessing here because it's got to be super frustrating doing what you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, But it comes with the territory. So I mean, you've got to have a thick skin, and you have to if you're going to be a meteor relics, you have to accept the fact that you will be wrong just the way things are. And we use computers as guidance. We don't hang our hat on one computer model. We analyze all of them and try and find a sweet spot, which is what I'm doing today, and it can be frustrating. Some are easy, some are a little more challenging, and some are downright top and you know, sometimes you hit the putt and it comes up and look short. But you know what, I think, as long as we message, just as I did the cautionary tale of Hey, if you live south and east of Denver, be prepared for some slick roads in the morning. If you wake up and the roads on flick, good for you, head off to work and you got no problems.
Speaker 1: I got a weather It's not a weather question, but it's a TV weather question, Dave. What are the black controllers the news anchors have in their hands?
Speaker 3: So we recently at the start of the new year, we used to have a teleprompter operators, somebody that would sit and control the rolling scripts, the stories that the anchors read, and the teleprompter. We have moved away from that to the anchors and the reporters who are in studio controlling it themselves. So the black controller you're seeing is them controlling it. Eventually what's going to happen? And this is kind of cool. The system is training itself so that AI can actually operate it based on the cadence of the person reading. Wow, those black boxes will go away and the anchor will just sit and read and an AI component will run the teleprompter for them based on their voice and their cadence and reading. So that's pretty cool. AI is. I heard you talking about it the other day, trying to get into it, and I've kind of peeked at it a little bit. I'm amazed. I'm a little intimidated. I don't know what it does. Yeah, but from example, I have.
Speaker 1: Friends that have already adopted like ten or twelve different AI platforms, and they're doing these incredible things, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like a ludite over here with AI. I'm like, what am I doing? I don't know. I think I can make a right picture. I mean, it's like it's I feel so left behind right now.
Speaker 3: It's funny because I asked Jeremy Hubbard. I said, hey, Jeremy, show me how this works. I don't know what it is and everything. So he went in and funny he put my name in and he said he asked chat GPT I think it was, and he said, write a resignation letter, which if that was funny, he says, write a resignation letter for Dave Fraser. And within like eight seconds, it wrote this letter and it went obviously, it scanned in the internet and it found out where I worked, and it mentioned Fox thirty one. I talked about my years in town. I was blown away. And then Jeremy, he says, watch this. He asked it to make a picture of a fifty year old weather man, and it came back with this picture. There was like this whirling tornado and this guy's in this tight blue suit. His hair's all fried out, like you look like you got hit by electricity. And then Jeremy took a picture and said add Dave space into it, and the picture printed out fifteen seconds. Is amazing. I couldn't believe it. I sat there with my jaw down, going wow. And it's crazy because it looks just like me. But you know, it's a little yeah, the picture, you know what, I'll text it to a ride.
Speaker 2: Please do, I'll put it on the blog.
Speaker 1: I'll put it on the blog with your permission so people can see it. All right, Dave Frazier, I've got one more quick question for you. And it might not be quick, but way it has to because we're amost out of time. Ask if their entire crew gets together and decides on what the forecast will be, or if they each do their own individual forecast.
Speaker 3: No, it has always then my uh, everybody who has interviewed with me, who becomes a part of our team knows I am one hundred percent team. There's no reason to be using one brain when we have six brains. Everybody can analyze. Some people might pick up on different things. Everybody has a different asset that they bring to the table, and we communicate. So this afternoon when I go to work, Liz and Alden and I will scrutinize the forecast and we will talk about it and come to a opinion, and that if we have to, we will communicate on a techt spread that the entire team shares to let the morning crew know what we decided about snowfall totals, so that we can maintain a single message from the entire Pinpoint Weather team to anybody watching us on either of our stations or any platform we ship.
Speaker 2: All right, Dave Fraser, a pleasure.
Speaker 1: As always, We'll talk to you next week after our little. It'll be delightful next week and I'll be like, Dave, thanks for bringing in the nice weather, and you can totally take credit.
Speaker 3: Ay a little preview of spring. Get ready for it?
Speaker 2: There you go, all right, that's Dave Fraser, Box thirty one,